Author Topic: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself  (Read 695893 times)

Beegee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself
« Reply #3300 on: May 24, 2017, 01:28:28 PM »
Hi everybody,

Been reading for a few years and (not sure why today) I just decided to stop lurking!  :)  Love this community of mostly-like-minded individuals.  A lot of great ideas over here...  I value the things I've read from community members and feel like it's time to join the conversations.

See you in the forum!

AriesFire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3301 on: May 24, 2017, 04:38:24 PM »
Hi,

Want to introduce myself and join the conversation. My husband and I are in our 30s, no kids.

I'm super interested in retiring by the age of 40, my husband not so much!
We have no personal debts and are doing pretty well for our age, but I'd like to start actively working much harder on establishing a budget and optimizing our finances and tax situation. We own a few rental properties as well.

Very inspired by this awesome community!

Rogue Dad, M.D.

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Rogue Dad, M.D.
« Reply #3302 on: May 24, 2017, 09:52:42 PM »
I've read all of the MMM posts and random bits of the forum.

I love a great deal what I read here, though admittedly am not a great follower of some of the hard core aspects of Mustachianism.

An embarrassing disclosure (for this forum) -- I'm an adult that can't ride a bike. Tried to learn on my own as a kid and couldn't figure it out.

I don't think it's possible to be a MMM adherent without riding a bike, so if anyone has tips on how an adult who doesn't do well w/feet off the ground can learn to ride (with minimal embarrassment), let me know.  Maybe if I pull that off I can do the rest.
www.RogueDadMD.com

An alt-brown look at medicine, money, faith, and family

astronozzle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3303 on: May 26, 2017, 07:43:39 AM »
Hi,

I've been reading/lurking MMM for years, but only just now joined the forums. The reason is I moved to a new city (Kansas City), and am looking for advice on jobs, transportation, etc.

Last month I finally had a positive networth! And then I got married! Anyway, if anybody has KC advice (or work), I sure could use it.

Thanks everyone!

SoberSailor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3304 on: May 27, 2017, 03:34:00 AM »
Hi,

I just registered after having lurked the forum for a while.

Basically, my name says it all. I used to spend money like a drunk sailor, but now that I am sober, I try to grow a proper 'stache. First step: Plugging leaks, then put the sail to the wind. Wish me godspeed.

Have a good weekend,

SoberSailor

msmarieh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Married woman on a journey to FI
« Reply #3305 on: May 28, 2017, 02:10:45 PM »
Hello!!!!

I'm new here and looking forward to reading the voluminous posts. I just finished paying off about $100K in debt and am looking forward to now starting to build a lot more wealth. I'm setting a goal for myself to get to a half mil net worth in the next 24-36 months.

I work full time and started a side business three years ago which has grown to make as much as my full time business.

I feel like right now is the start of some truly great things and I love having people around to enjoy the journey with.

teecup

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3306 on: May 30, 2017, 10:27:18 AM »
Hello,

I found this website not too long ago. I'm very good with saving money and live frugally but would like to learn more about smarter financial planning and minimizing tax legally.
I'm part of DINK household and we hope to retire before we hit 50. It's so nice to find that there are people who've done this successfully and take the time to share their knowledge :)

Mr Zombie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Finance Zombie
« Reply #3307 on: May 30, 2017, 01:49:27 PM »
Hello from England.

Not many of us FIRE types over here.  So I just keep my head down, stay creepy, and carry on saving.

Started saving properly in about 2012.  And I've got my ears pinned back now.

Hope to learn lots from y'all.

A photo of me ready for the battles against the Consumerist Hordes;

Mr Z

Battling the Consumer Hordes since 2012.

Peanutbutter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3308 on: May 30, 2017, 08:06:59 PM »
Hi, I like peanut butter and reading about living simply and making money. 

May2030

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3309 on: June 03, 2017, 02:29:30 PM »
Hi, very recently found MMM while trying to decide what to do with my life. Its a bit of a revelation and has opened my eyes. Still reading the articles.

42, UK , single, just gone mortgage free and thought that was it target achieved, go mental. Cashed in investments and bought a car. Doh! Free to spend but the items I have bought have delivered little pleasure.

Theoretical target is FIRE 2030 but hope to bring that forward. Excited yet nervous about the journey and changes required ahead. 

sednax

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3310 on: June 04, 2017, 03:55:48 AM »
Hi everyone,

Found out about MMM yesterday and immediately hooked. I'm currently saving about 30% of my income, but will receive a big chunk of cash soon. I was thinking about how to spend it etc, but it can actually fling me into FI in one go when I go for the MMM lifestyle (I'm 27)!

wheresmysipp

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3311 on: June 05, 2017, 09:32:57 AM »
Hi all,

I stumbled upon Mr. Money Mustache and I still haven't gotten over the sheer amount of posts here, incredible! So I decided to sign up and get involved :)

I work with http://pensionjustice.co.uk based in the UK, helping people with their mis-sold pension claims and working hard to get their money/compensation back for them.

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and getting involved on the boards.

All the best!

cadillacmike

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3312 on: June 06, 2017, 10:41:42 PM »
Ok, I stumbled upon this site while trying to figure out what all they hype is regarding EIAs / FIAs. Using this site and some links I now have a pretty good idea of what they are. And I'm still not enamoured to them.

I'm 56, my better half is 57. We both still work more or less part time. She worked for the Y for many years and I was a network admin in civilian life and a reserve Army Officer. At least until 2003, when I got sucked into a 12 year cycle of deployments. I'm retired from the army but cannot collect retirement pay for another 2.5-3 years, because I didn't have 20 + years of active duty. Oh well, I probably could not have tolerated 30 years of active duty. I started a business last year for accounting/ computers and property management, while the boss lady is a professor, however she will be getting her property mgt license soon and we will try to expand the business.

I'm still trying to figure out what FIRE (as in FIREcalc) means, it is Financial Independent / Retire Early or something else??? In any event I found that tool, and have some questions on that for later posts.

We both have bikes, mine is a 40 year old Raleigh Professional that I will NEVER ride to the grocery store. Hers is 30 both were bought new, mine while I was still in high school and hers as a first birthday present when we first got married. We still ride them, but not to the store.I still like to ride it, just not as a form or transportation to work, store etc. First it's a true road racing bike and the tires wouldn't last 10 miles on these streets, 2nd it's irreplaceable, and 3rd, its 95+ here every day, rainy for 6 months and humid as all hell, Not good for any type of business work environment.   

Yes we've been married for 30 years this past March. No kids of our own, however she likes to dote on the numerous nieces and nephews we have.

Clown cars, yeah we have a few, four really. The reason we have 4 is because I can't fit 5 in this house that only has a 2 car garage. Try to guess the make of them. And we don't twist the key to go to the grocery store, we push buttons, just like George Jetson. Actually the two older cars have keys, and I'm always hurting my hand on the Fleetwood trying to open the doors, because the CTS & STS both have passive sensors that allow us to just open the door with the key apparatus in our pockets. The old 1968 is a convertible, and it's almost never locked so that's not a problem. I really missed my cars while i spent some 5 years in the combat zone, ( 5 trips) so I don't want to hear it. I earned the right to have them and they are paid for. And they get me to work, some 40 miles to my furthest work site. Luxury might be a weakness, but poverty Sucks.

That said I do agree that it is the height of idiocy to drive one's kids to school, when they can walk or take the bus. I have a niece that used to do that, could not get it through her thick skull how insane that was. Wife's sister used to do it as well.  Oh well, they're both on her side of the family. My brother, still in the Army (SGM, but retiring this year) was not like that. His kids walked or took the bus just like we did as kids.

Still have about 12 years to finish off the mortgage.  Have some funds in various 403bs, IRAs, etc. and will look to find info here and elsewhere on maximizing retirement options, etc. and possibly retire a bit early. so we can take the 1968 on a cross country trip.

UncleX

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3313 on: June 07, 2017, 03:27:01 AM »
Hello everybody, I am UncleX from the Netherlands. My wife and I are both 44 years old and we have no kids. We have fulltime jobs we don’t hate but would probably quit (or go parttime) if financially possible. I discovered MMM around the end of 2015, when we were trying to decide what to do with our mortgage. We decided to get rid of it completely and so we did last year. I know not everybody agrees that this is the smartest thing to do, but it was for us and it feels great. We had been saving a lot ever since the crisis started around 2008 and also had been investing, but there was no real plan or goal.

After paying off our mortgage and reading every article MMM wrote and half the forum we started all over again, but now with a plan and a goal. The plan is simply to save as much money as possible and invest it in a VTSAX-like fund. We cannot invest in VTSAX in the Netherlands, but we can invest in a similar Vanguard fund through our own bank. So far we have been able to invest around 65% of our take-home pay and it looks like we can keep this up. Our goal at the moment is to become as FI as possible and to be able to choose to (partially) RE in 7 to 10 years, if we want to.

I have been a member here for a year now and already posted some comments in the “Any Dutch Mustachians” thread. I may comment in other threads in the future, but I will probably never become a walrus. Still I thought it was time to introduce myself because I am reading this forum and learning from it daily. Thank you all very much for making that possible!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 03:32:23 AM by UncleX »

YourPlaybookForToughTimes

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3314 on: June 08, 2017, 12:14:59 AM »
Hello,
My name is Donna Freedman and I've been writing about personal finance since 2007. I'm in my late 50s and live in Anchorage, Alaska, with an amazing partner. He's retired, I'm still freelancing, which means he does a lot more work in the garden than I do.

Looking forward to reading everyone's insights.

Sydneystache

• Bristles
  • Aiming for RE!
« Reply #3315 on: June 08, 2017, 01:05:36 AM »
Hi Donna, are you the same Donna Freedman that writes/wrote for Yahoo personal finance? If you are, I loved reading your posts and they were pretty inspirational too. I think I was reading your columns before MMM.

gspeicher

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3316 on: June 08, 2017, 10:08:33 AM »
Hi, all. I'm Geoff from Kentucky. I have a wife and two kids and fairly comfortable financial situation. Our only debt is in the form of two mortgages, one on our primary and one on a rental condo that more or less breaks even month to month. We have a great start on retirement (I think) maxing out a 401k and two roth IRAs. We have a six month safety net sitting in cash (which we're about to move into the market per MMMs advice). Additionally, we contribute to an aggressively allocated Betterment account and and two 529s for our children.

I look forward to starting the journey that many of you are on or have already completed. The office life isn't for me (my wife works from home) and we're ready to take the steps to start living instead of waiting to live.

KatieMac

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3317 on: June 08, 2017, 12:57:32 PM »
Hi! I'm Kat from Pittsburgh. My husband discovered MMM first and I quickly got hooked, too. We obsessively read through every post since the very beginning. In the past year we've made some very forward-looking decisions and I think we're on the right track. I'm really hoping to meet more like-minded folks in our area and figured the forums would be a great place to start!

Feel free to drop a line, especially if you or a mustachian you know lives in or north of Pittsburgh!

Cheers!

tonyquart

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3318 on: June 09, 2017, 02:15:59 AM »
Hi there,
I'm Tony. I'm married and have 2 daughters. Hopefully I will get useful information here in this forum. Nice to know all of you! :cheers:

MinnieAG

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3319 on: June 09, 2017, 09:18:05 AM »
Hi everyone!

My name is Alex, I'm from Minneapolis, and I'm 22 years old. My husband is obsessed (to put it lightly) with MMM, and I've recently become hooked as well. We're pretty aggressive savers and have a great start on our retirement funds and paying off our mortgage. We'd like to start a family in a few years, and I love reading through the Mini Mustache threads for ideas to save money with/for children.

BatDad2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3320 on: June 14, 2017, 12:24:00 PM »
Hey!

My name is Drew, located in Eastern Iowa, in a town no-one probably knows. My wife and I are 31 and started our FI journey about 3 months ago after finding MMM and having long discussion and afternoon reflection where our jobs have started to take over our lives and we just haven't been able to do all the fun things we want to do in life. Most importantly is spending time with our 2 boys who just so happen to love Batman and have the last name Wayne, so hence, the BatDad name.

We have since changed many aspects of our life and are on a path to retire conservatively at 40, but I admit that we have a lot to learn and would like to be done even sooner if there are things that we just aren't seeing (or being too 'wussypants' about). I look forward to talking with everyone and sharing successes and learning opportunities to get us all there sooner!
In the field of battle, as in all things, you will perform as you practice; so practice hard.
With practice, you build the road to accomplish your goals. Excellence lives in attention to
detail. Give your all, all the time. Don't save anything for the walk home. The better a
knight (man) prepares, the less willing he will be to surrender.

Cassandra

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3321 on: June 15, 2017, 07:15:50 AM »
Hi Everyone!

I'm Cassandra and I live in Alexandria, VA. I came across the MMM blog about a month ago and have binge read almost every article since. While being frugal and the concept of spending less, saving more is like breathing to me I'll humbly admit that I know nothing about Real Estate, investments and retirement. I'm hoping to learn a lot through the blog and this forum. The mustachian tribe are definitely my kind of people!

The Wolf

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3322 on: June 15, 2017, 08:39:51 AM »
Hi everyone!

I'm Copenhagen based and came across MMM when Pete was interviewed by Ferriss a few months ago. Have been following Ferriss' podcast for a few years but this podcast episode has impacted me more than anything else.

The whole MMM philosophy of life simply resonates incredibly well with me, and I've figured out that FI is only one of many wonderful side effects. Here's the funny thing I've come to realize: rather than feeling deprived every time a skip a wasteful purchase, I'm feeling even more energetic and free!

I do recognize that Iím probably still in my MMM honeymoon phase and the long hall is still ahead. But running over my personal finances and starting to optimize for FI has been a great experience up until now. Iíve reorganized for a 75% savings rate and Iím pumped up with enthusiasm :-D

Salute to everyone out there spreading the MMM message!

xander

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3323 on: June 16, 2017, 12:20:02 PM »
Hello all!

I'm Alex from Dayton, Ohio. I have been lurking this site for a while and have now decided to really up my investing game and learn everything there is to know!

I am 29 years old working in the manufacturing field as a Toolmaker. I love what I do, but with that being said I am looking forward to an early retirement. I have a good start with my savings and 401k but need some direction with where to go from here. You'll see plenty of questions from me on the boards.

Glad to be here!

Cossack

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • finance liberation
« Reply #3324 on: June 18, 2017, 06:58:53 PM »
Hi there.

We retired a few years ago. I am 43 my wife, 39. We have 5 young kids, 10, 8, 7, 4 and a newborn born this week. We have been able to travel and live in various countries and live a pretty full life. We have lived out many of the MMM principles and hopefully we will be able to contribute and learn in this community.
FIRE'd at few years ago. I am 43, DW 39. 5 young kids 10,8,7,4 and a newborn. We have lived in Auckland, Melbourne, Guangzhou, Zhuhai, Suva and currently living in Brisbane.

My new blog lives here: financeliberation.com

TheAverageSo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3325 on: June 19, 2017, 08:20:17 AM »
Hi all - I'm 37 and about to be married to the most wonderful gal ever. 

I've been stupid with money until about 30, and end up saving enough to buy myself a home with 25% down.

I have approx. $300k left on the mortgage, and I owe about $18k for my car loan.  I have about $80k saved and home is worth approx. $930k according to an appraiser last month.  My fiancee has about $180k saved.  We're both pretty thrifty and I personally don't spend on much except a few lunches here and there.  From some calculations, based on wanting to spend $50k/year during FI, we need to save $1.25MM.  So since we both have a total saved of about $260k, we are short $990k.   Based on some FI calculators, it says I only have 9.5 years to FI.  I don't see how that's possible?  Can someone assess our situation and scrutinize it?

Also, I am starting to hate my job and the same goes for my fiancee.  We were thinking of quitting for a year and doing some slow travelling. What do you guys/gals think?

privatevoid

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3326 on: June 20, 2017, 06:57:02 PM »
Hello,

Northern VA area here!

My goal: pay off ~$8150 car loan and ~$16k student loan. I want to pay off the car by the end of the year and the student loan in the next few years.

theseIthacas

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3327 on: June 21, 2017, 04:46:52 PM »
Hi!

I'm in my mid-30s, my husband is 51, and we have two kids, two cats, and a small menagerie of other critters. We're generally fairly frugal, and we've been debt free other than our mortgage since 2013, but it's been a bumpy ride since then. Early retirement wasn't necessarily on the horizon until the other half had a stroke two years ago. Even though he recovered quite well, and plans on working for at least another 15-16 years, I'm hoping to cut that back as much as possible.

I've been reading MMM for a couple of years, so I guess it's about time I dropped out of lurking and joined the forums!

Codemaster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3328 on: June 23, 2017, 10:06:53 AM »
Hey all!

I'm a bit of a tough to pin down person. I am an artist, programmer, athlete, and traveler. I'm stoked to be here and look forward to getting to know all of y'all! 

bless up

benjaminfoley

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3329 on: June 24, 2017, 08:19:37 AM »
Hey Guys!

I'm Ben and I'm new here to this great community of money wranglers. Although I aspire to be as mustachian as you all, I'm just getting started. I'm 25 and grew up in a very non-Mustacian manner. In fact, I've never built anything.

I really wanted to get my hands dirty and start learning how to build things. I live in Chicago, IL. Anyone have any suggestions with a good first project or know anyone in the area that runs a construction company that I can get my ass work on the weekends with?

Thanks!

Ben

tozier

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3330 on: June 24, 2017, 09:29:49 AM »
Hello everyone,

Iíve been reading the blog and applying many of the principles for close to two years, so I am not entirely new to the site, but this is the first time I have posted to the forum. I am happy to report that at the end of this week, I will be debt free (excluding the mortgage), and have been saving an average of around 60% of my income. My next goals are to build a six-month emergency fund (which thanks to my savings rate, will take less than three months), push up my 401k to the IRS limit, and then use the rest to pay towards the principal on my mortgage, a decent strategy considering the latest blog from MMM on a possible recession in the next 3-5 years. Or I may continue to contribute the minimum for the employer match and push everything else into my mortgage, paying it off in 5 years.

First though, I need to determine where to invest my emergency funds. Canít just leave it in a dismal savings account. Need to have every dollar working for me. I know this has been answered somewhere on this forum, but have yet to find it.

hm__

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3331 on: June 24, 2017, 05:44:14 PM »
Hey all,

Early 20s here, living in DC metro (not exactly mustachian COL area). Studied engineering and now working in a related field.

Discovered MMM two months ago and read every article, have since tried to optimize all spending within my control at the moment, with hopes of paying off student loans and socking away as much as I can for the future. Looking forward to contributing and reading more!

frugalhackers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Frugal Hackers
« Reply #3332 on: June 24, 2017, 07:07:01 PM »
Hi! My husband and I discovered MMM's blog over a year ago. We're Canadians leading our own version of a Mustachian life in San Francisco. Finally took the plunge and started blogging at Frugal Hackers last week because we got tired of all of our friends saying you can't be frugal in San Francisco. I'm excited to find such an amazing community of like minded folks!

HildaCorners

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Professional Polymath
« Reply #3333 on: June 25, 2017, 07:40:12 AM »
Howdy!

I'm always had a money mustache ... sometimes I have to force myself to spend on 100% necessary purchases. However, I'm not retired yet (and am old enough that I can't retire *early* in any case).

I've had an interesting life so far ... everything from near FI to "which bills do I not pay this month" poverty. I'm doing well again, but have some catching up to do. I'm looking for FI within the next five years.

I'll post more details in a Journal.
Been there, done that

Taconite

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3334 on: June 26, 2017, 03:10:43 PM »
Howdy gang,

Middle aged Southern Californian who is trying his hardest to get FIREd from his GOVT job.  Got the average 2 kids, spouse, cat, 2x student loans and a mortgage.  Was forced to do a lot of what the founder suggests when the wife lost her job during the recession.  Read Your Money or Your Life earlier this year (2017) and it reinforced a lot of what I was doing.  I found this site though a web search of YMOYL to share with a coworker. 

Looking to learn and support. 

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 10:35:47 AM by Taconite »

Silverado62

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3335 on: June 27, 2017, 06:45:10 AM »
Hello from TX. I've arrived at the financial freedom finish line at age 54 through semi-frugal living, mega savings, and real estate investing. All while enjoying an occasional splurge and, for sure, some spending relapses along the way.

But at retirement's doorstep I have started to read up a lot more on money and found this forum. I'm happy to join in and learn and share with others who think as I do about life, happiness and how money works.
--
This is not a signature

espyfamoffour

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3336 on: June 28, 2017, 03:06:11 PM »
Greetings from the Midwest!  Been a consumer of forum/articles for years and doing my best to get spouse on board with frugal living.  Father of two that got serious about investing a few years ago, with wife working part time. Looking forward to interacting with a like minded community!

Livinginthemountains

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3337 on: June 28, 2017, 06:29:18 PM »
Hi! I found MMM a few months ago and decided to join the forum just for the fact that there are people here I can relate to when it comes to frugality.... I feel everyone in my real life thinks I'm crazy for riding a bike... living in a paid for house and not spending  $30 grand on a car.... It's great to know there's others on the planet like me!

sufjork

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3338 on: June 30, 2017, 05:35:08 AM »
Hiya! I'm Lei. I am in my mid 20s and currently a freelance artist. Due to recently discovering MMM and the real possibility of retiring early/being financially independent, I have decided I'm going to train myself so I can transition into the world of web dev + web design. My fiancť is also a member of this forum and we are just beginning our journey into FIRE!
Do you use Ibotta? Come join the MMM team for greater cashback!
You can use my referral code if you don't yet have it: tmdxgyv

I use YNAB to track my spending. Want a free month? Use my referral! :)

DeanHedlund

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3339 on: June 30, 2017, 10:27:42 AM »
Hello!
Long time YLOYM and simple living advocate, found this great forum accidentally. We are mid-40s and mid-30s, living in Phoenix metro. Recently, we started to plan out early retirement very seriously. It is both exciting and scary at the same time. Looking to learn and support each other in the journey. Cheers!

Zariana

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3340 on: June 30, 2017, 09:05:16 PM »
Hi,

I've been following MMM for the last year, and having consumed his blog I decided to come on the MMM forums to continue my journey toward FIRE.  I'm actually a lot closer than I thought before reading MMM, which has certainly helped me take a healthier life-attitude while working in a very stressful job.

I'm an American living overseas in Asia at the moment, which gives an interesting perspective on what low-cost living actually is. I plan to return to the US in a year or so when my job assignment ends.

I look forward to listening and being part of the conversation!

Cheers,

-Z

Diego

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3341 on: July 01, 2017, 03:15:05 AM »
Hello, I'm Diego, I'm from Spain and I work as a programmer (iOS & Android apps).

Hope to find inspiration and some good tips here!

Bella78

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3342 on: July 01, 2017, 06:06:11 AM »
Hello all,

I found MMM about a year ago, though I have only recently committed to mustachianism.  Through reading a lot of the information and advice around here, I have realized that FIRE is a possibility if I can stay on track.  I am hoping to retire or semi-retire by 55.

ianvestor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Investing for a living
« Reply #3343 on: July 01, 2017, 10:44:22 AM »

Hi,

I came across MMM a couple of years ago, and skimmed through a few posts and saw a few stories on youtube. Only now am I realising how it is such a large online community so thought I should join. With some of my life choices I feel I can relate to a lot of the discussions. I am 43 and from Australia, and a couple of years ago decided to live at least about half of the year in Vietnam and Thailand, which offers a simple, economical and enjoyable lifestyle. I live off my investments mainly, together with some consulting work and freelance writing. Look forward to reading more of the posts and participating in some discussions.

CalSaver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3344 on: July 01, 2017, 12:39:40 PM »
Hello MMM forum - So great to see everyone sharing so much information, knowledge, stories and advice.  The missus and I are fortunate to be in a good spot financially, and even then we're agonizing a bit on how to move forward towards financial independence.  What get's paid down first, etc. etc. 

Thanks for everything so far!

icyii

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3345 on: July 01, 2017, 06:31:13 PM »
Hello MMM! I was introduced to the joys of MMM through Pocket, and now I'm hooked! I'm reading he entire blog from the start and I'm learning sooo much. I'm afraid to say I used to be stupid with money, though I wasn't earning much to start with so I didn't waste that much. It's time for change! Can't wait to start building assets. I hope to retire asap. In my mid 20's and hope to retire early. Still working on how to do that - but I'll build my financial literacy first. Super excited to meet you all!

financiallypossible

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIRE:2017 "Without music, life would be a mistake.
    • Financially Possible
« Reply #3346 on: July 02, 2017, 04:59:49 AM »
In my mid 20's and hope to retire early. Still working on how to do that - but I'll build my financial literacy first.

I love this attitude. Please tactfully encourage your friends to do so (build their financial literacy) too.
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children:
https://www.youtube.com/TripSeibold

http://www.financiallypossible.com/

nipponahito

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3347 on: July 02, 2017, 09:18:19 PM »
Hello MMM forums! Was introduced to this way of thinking by a finanical advisor I know that's mustachian. Really excited about all I have read on the blog so far and am committed to working towards fianancial independence. Currently am debt-free and looking to optimize expenditures.

BiochemicalDJ

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3348 on: July 04, 2017, 09:07:22 PM »
Hey, I'm Austin!

I work a boring desk job, am currently rushing towards FI ASAP, have 5 years left (8 years if pessimistic), and am currently obsessed with repairing my beater of a car.
Having fun isn't hard when you have a library card.

semiretired

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3349 on: July 06, 2017, 07:41:29 PM »
Hi, I am a 45 years old and I work as a Fire Fighter 2 days a week. Which is why i call myself semi-retired. I wont be able to fully retire as early as some of you as i need to work to age 55 to receive my pension. But i hope to learn allot from all of you so i can make sure my retirement lasts.

Thank you in advance