Author Topic: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself  (Read 747055 times)

SharkStomper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself
« Reply #3250 on: April 20, 2017, 06:26:11 PM »
Hey guys,
I'm a recovering consumer and new to the forum.  I like what I see and decided I needed to sign up.  Early retiring is likely not in the cards for me as I'll be 48 this year with a smallish nest egg, but who knows.  The wife is onboard with my newfound thriftiness and saving plan, so wish us luck!

eddie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3251 on: April 22, 2017, 08:27:46 AM »
Hello,

I've been a reading the website for 2-3 years but I'm new to the forum.  My wife & I are 34 and have a beautiful baby girl.  I work in specialty retail and my wife works in healthcare.  I both used to be super thrifty in our single days, but mostly out of necessity.  When we got married 5 years ago we both started making a lot more $ and lifestyle started creeping up.  We love to travel, we bought a new car, started going out to nicer restaurants, etc.  I started a side business that failed and sucked up a bunch of $.  We've both always contributed to retirement so our net worth would keep going up little by little.  I made some investment mistakes in my 20s and just haven't felt like we were making as much progress as we should.

Last April/May we finally got on the same page, started planning, started doing written/cash budgets every 2 weeks, set goals, and have been making a lot more progress.  So instead of our net worth going up $20-60k / yr like it had been, it went up about $115k in 2016.  We're not as frugal as many here, but we're way better than we used to be.  We also have a higher FI number than most here, but by 2027 we should be able to amass $1.5mil in invested assets, plus a paid for house, and adequately funded college account(s).  That's the goal.

JessicaCoaches

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • JessicaCoaches
« Reply #3252 on: April 22, 2017, 11:24:34 PM »
Hi I'm Jessica,
I've been reading MMM for a few years now and never breached the forums before today. I decided to come on here because I keep finding these great websites and oh wow they are into MMM as well!  Getting on here has been a little overwhelming, there is just sooo much.

A little about me.
Happily married with three little boys.
I've been a low-income hustler.
We have three rental properties. (7 doors)
Hoping to go FIRE next year and go somewhere with a low cost of living. We love traveling. :D
I started a blog recently and am really enjoying finding all these other FIRE bloggers! (jessicacoaches.com)

Looking forward to being on here, I will be trying my best not to lurk as I often tend to do on forums.
FIRE, Real Estate, Low-Income Hustle, Travel, and Wellness Blog... I clearly have not found a niche! http://www.jessicacoaches.com

telegraphtightwad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3253 on: April 23, 2017, 07:03:04 AM »
Hi I am Telegraph,

Have read MMM since beginning. Been in this space since the tightwad gazette (newsletter) and 1st edition of Your money or your life.  I am 55 and in process of purging again to be location independent. Investigated the tiny house movement back in 2013.  Happily renting(recovering homeowner, miss digging in the dirt, not the hardware store runs) have moved from expensive north east US to NC. Future Blogger.

Enjoy The Day!
T

spamking

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3254 on: April 24, 2017, 07:01:55 AM »
Hello . . . I'm brand new to everything MMM.  Heard about the place on another forum and thought I'd come check things out.  I've got over 22 years in with Uncle Sam and plan to retire when I hit 30. 

orangepalm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3255 on: April 24, 2017, 09:35:33 AM »
Hello all!

I've been reading MMM's blog for years now and recently started lurking here in the forums too. Figured it was time to start participating as well. I discovered MMM in 2012 or '13 and it was quite an eye opening experience (started reading it alongside ERE and some other blogs). Not so much about being (extremely) frugal (my wife and I have always been that way), but more about the concept of early retirement, and the power of a high savings rate. We save about 70% of our relatively moderate income (we both work in academic research), purchased a house recently with large down payment and we have no other debts. We're still pretty early in the our path to FIRE, another 10 years at most hopefully!

hoppingoff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3256 on: April 24, 2017, 06:54:59 PM »
I discovered MMM a few months back and this information couldn't have come at a better time. I am a 45-year-old mom currently homeschooling my 11 & 13 year old sons. My husband is 52 but HATES his job with a passion. Problem is, since I've been out of the regular work force for so long and we live in the San Francisco Bay Area, any job I could likely get would only be enough to maybe cover the mortgage, so he's got to stay on the treadmill as long as we live here. That's the awful part. The good news is that I've discovered from reading MMM that and other FI blogs, that with the large amount of equity we have in our house, purchased in 2003, plus our more moderately sized retirement accounts, we actually have enough to hop off the treadmill now if we want to. My husband is not currently a citizen, so we need to deal with that now while he still has a job, as I fear the immigration folks wouldn't know how to interpret the situation if we just retired on a minimal income (lazy deadbeats!).

Overall, if I could go back and redo things I most certainly would have done things at a more accelerated pace with the finances, but saying that, even though we have done some things "wrong" we are not in such bad shape. I'm hoping we can stop regular work (which I may be going back to temporarily) soon. I haven't ventured into the forums much yet, but I am learning so much every day on this journey and am excited to learn more.

gredenko

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3257 on: April 24, 2017, 10:43:04 PM »
Hello all. I'm new but I like what I've seen here so far, with people being smart and thinking about their future as much as their current situation. I'm just looking for ways to grow my incomes and enjoy wealth while I'm young. Currently hoping to build something successful with affiliate marketing (ebay, amazon), and also trading in the financial markets.  If there's anyone doing something similar or who uses ebay a lot, feel free to contact me! I would love to share ideas and build something together.

bicycleriders

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • I especially like bike riding. I like hybrid bike.
    • Best hybrid bikes
« Reply #3258 on: April 25, 2017, 06:05:42 AM »
Hello everyone, Maria, and I am new to this forum, coming to here I have got pretty nice conversation area where I can discuss openly about my several matter. Actually this is a wonderful media indeed I think.

JStrider

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3259 on: April 25, 2017, 03:19:05 PM »
Hi I'm James,

I discovered the site a few months ago, and just recently finished reading every blog post and a lot of the comments!

I've always been pretty frugal, debt averse, and a good saver.  Contributed a bit to my 401k, and maxed out my roth IRA, then put the rest of my savings into my mortgage, and a savings account.  After finding mustachianism I'm now maxing out my 401k, IRA, and have moved most of my savings into investments.  I've also started more aggressively working to get rid of a bunch of stuff so I can downsize my living space needs, with the end goal of moving into my girlfriends house, halving both of our living expenses.  This will also bring me closer to my current job (but still pretty far) and about ~6 miles from downtown, where I have been putting feelers out for locating a closer/better job.

Recently my girlfriend and I had a bit of a sit down and I helped her look at her finances, and we made a plan of attack on her aggressively getting her car loan paid off, and then quickly getting her mortgage paid down enough to eliminate her mortgage insurance.  She's also realized how much driving to work and paid parking was costing her and has started taking the bus to work most of the time(on the companies dime even!).

I'm super excited to actually know what to do with my money, and have financial goals that will allow me to be FI, (i think around 40, but still figuring it out for sure).  I have also been talking with my younger siblings, trying to encourage them to more mustachian ideals as they start their lives.

looking forward to continuing my mustachian journey

ItalianGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3260 on: April 25, 2017, 09:17:17 PM »
Hi All,
I've been lurking for about 6 months and finally registered. I am so happy to find a group of people as obsessed about FIRING as much as I do...
Here is my 411:
I'm 48/ hubby is 47
We live in Colorado with our 14 yr old
Planning to FIRE in 2022 with goal of 1M in retirement/cash
Currently saving about 50% of current income and trying to get expenses cut back further.
I own my own marketing consulting agency.
L

Kooljohn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3261 on: April 26, 2017, 07:44:19 AM »
Hello Everybody!

I've recently discovered Mr. Money Moustache via Tim Ferriss' podcast and instantly resonated with the message and particularly FIRE.
I'm an Englishman, living in Ireland to a beautiful Irish woman and soon about to embark on home ownership here.
Currently saving 32% of income and aiming to get this to 50% over the next 2-3 years, even with a 1200 euro per month mortgage which, after the insurances are added in, will come to double what we currently pay in rent.

It sounds like an impossible challenge, getting to 50% of income saved, but I like a challenge!!!

I'm delighted to be here amongst like minded FIRE devotees and frugal living minimalists and hope to contribute rather than lurk.

:)

StaceyR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3262 on: April 26, 2017, 02:22:56 PM »
Hi All,

I've been following MMM for a number of years and just this month declared myself FIRE'd at 59.  The DW is close behind at 57.  We've long resided in sunny SoCal but are considering moving from The OC to greener, and hopefully less expensive, pastures now that we are freed from the chains of employment and parental care (mother recently passed away).  Unfortunately, our income will drop to almost nil and SS won't kick in for ten years but our investment portfolio is healthy and we have enough liquidity to see us through stormy weather.  Our balance sheet is helped by zero debt. a mortgage-free house and no kids to support but we really need to work on the spending side.  This why I've decided to get off the sidelines and get educated by those wiser than I (pretty much everyone here). 

Cheers!

Infraredhead

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Infraredhead Art
« Reply #3263 on: April 29, 2017, 12:04:37 PM »
Hello there,

I feel so fortunate to have found my people on this forum.  My husband and I have always been big Dave Ramsey fans.  We have no debt, our house is paid for, and we have saved like crazy to reach this moment in our lives.  I retired in December and my husband just announced his retirement at work.  We are really excited to start this new chapter in our lives.  Some of our friends are very happy for us but others think we have gone completely crazy. It is reassuring to read about the journey of others. Cheers!

#MoneyGoals

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Mustachianism. Minimalism. Health. Happiness.
    • #MoneyGoals
« Reply #3264 on: April 29, 2017, 04:03:30 PM »
Hello!

I am a 21 year old in Dallas, about to graduate next year with a Finance degree with no debt and a little over 30k in Roth and taxable accounts. If anyone in the area wants to get in touch feel free to email me!

I also run a blog at www.hashtagmoneygoals.com feel free to check it out!

OthalaFehu

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • OthalaFehu
OthalaFehu 2.0
« Reply #3265 on: April 29, 2017, 06:58:18 PM »
After 3 months on a wordpress starter blog, I have finally taken the plunge and reset my site to my own domain. Feel free to check out my Net Worth Blog at http:othalafehu.com
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 07:01:51 PM by OthalaFehu »
One Day a Rains will come and wash away all you see before you, through Othala kept the true. http://othalafehu.com

JanetJackson

• Stubble
« Reply #3266 on: April 30, 2017, 07:34:06 PM »
Hello!
This is literally the first forum I have ever been on!  Very exciting.

I am a 33 year old female, serial side-hustler, and am currently paying my way through my undergraduate degree after taking several (*cough cough, ten*) years away from school following my associates degree.  I've hit a brick wall career-wise, and want to eventually have my own business so that I can live to work a bit more than I currently work to live..... If that makes sense.  I understand that even owning my own business, I'll need some credibility, so I am buckling down to finish that dang degree.  I currently go to school full time, and work three to four longer days per week (about 25-30 hours) for a decent salary (but no benefits) at a local non-profit and work about 5-6 other side jobs, some consistent, others more random (average about 7-10 hours a week).

I am a single lady, divorced almost ten years ago from having gotten married when I was far far too young (for me) with no children and no plans to marry again or have children (although I am borderline obsessed with my dog, so that sort of counts). 

Having played roller derby for just under a decade, I took some time off about a year ago when I no longer had health insurance & needed to give my body a break.  I currently train at a Crossfit gym (which I am certain I will hear about when I post my case study) and love it- although I'm not sure why I thought that would be any safer?  :)  Ha.

I'm working on my financial independence on a very small income (currently saving 40% of my income), but luckily I appreciate and even enjoy frugality and have a vision for my future.

Happy to be here!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 07:36:45 PM by JanetJackson »

Gravel Guager

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3267 on: May 01, 2017, 11:14:07 AM »
Hello all y'all.  I'm very excited to join the MMM forum and the had been introduced to MMM by a good friend of mine I met through work.    He is putting  about 60% into investments  and when I heard that I couldn't fathom it- not until I began reading the MMM blog.

About me and how I got to the MMM blog- I'm a 32 year old male.  After college I moved from New England to Texas to work in the oilfield.  I met my ex wife who pushed the Dave Ramsey lifestyle onto me.  I agreed and I did the debt snowball paying off college and a car loan to the tune of $82,000.   As my income grew so did the spending.  Fast forward to 2014- oil prices plummeted and so did my income.  Debt accrued and then came the inevitable divorce.  Now I'm a single father trying to work my way back to zero debt and I've been reading the blog a week now.  I've decided to sell, donate, give away, and keep a few things that will fit in my camper (means to cut bills down).  Profit money will go to the credit card debt.   I'm also considering selling my truck for a older truck (Currently have a 2011 Tacoma 4x4 Manual regular cab) and propelling the profit towards debt.  If the storage is gone, credit card and camper paid off I will have nearly 60% of my current earnings ready to invest.  I'm looking forward the badassity of being free of the high income high spending life style.  And hopefully my story helps someone else some day. It is reassuring to read and relate to other stories here.  Thank you!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 04:43:34 PM by Gravel Guager »

aalferez

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3268 on: May 02, 2017, 09:29:17 AM »
Hi, my name is Angel. I'm from Spain but live currently in the US.
I always tried to be frugal but never with the mindset of saving that much for investment.
This blog is rocking my world!

Salvo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3269 on: May 03, 2017, 10:43:31 AM »
Hello everyone, just joined MMM today after wondering if I should change my Betterment allocation.  Currently at 90% stock/10% bond and I'll stay there.  I found an article through google that MMM wrote on betterment which helped explain stocks are better for the long term. 

I just turned 30 yesterday, have a mortage and education expenses to pay but nothing massive.  Started being serious about investing and saving just the past couple years.  Unfortunately, I did not have steady or even a good amount of income until I was 28; partly because I did not go to any college after high school but I also bounced around between jobs.  My parents were very frugal (raised 4 kids on about $30k/year) and I acquired many money saving habits from them without realizing it... like washing plastic bags, trash picking, thrift store/garage sales, home cooking, and how to repair/refurbish things. 

After just one year, I've increased my net worth so much that reaching $1 M no longer seems impossible.  There is such a wealth of info here too, I expect the rest of this year to go very well!

GoingToMaine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Going To Maine
« Reply #3270 on: May 04, 2017, 07:48:01 PM »
Hello!  Long time listener, first time caller. 

I've been lurking these forums for a while, and soaking in all the knowledge from the blog.  I'm a 39-year-old guy from Virginia whose goal is to retire in the next 10 years and move to Maine.  That's not as early as some folks here, but I have my reasons.

Beyond that I'm an avid hiker, a geeky dad, and a dabbler in all sorts of little hobbies and crafty projects.
I've started blogging about hiking and retiring to Maine at goingtomaine.com.  I'd love some feedback if you could take a moment to check it out.

cliner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3271 on: May 06, 2017, 06:54:40 AM »
Tired of wasting his money. I don't know why it took me so long to realize:
- not working through college, & instead borrowing all the cash is a bad idea
- financing & trading 3 brand new cars before you're 30 is a bad idea
- spending thousands on performance modifications to said cars is a bad idea
- I'm not saving enough for retirement
- eating out multiple times per week is a bad idea
- I never need the newest/best toys/electronics
- adding one or two more items to my Amazon shopping cart just to reach the $35 free same-day shipping benchmark is a bad idea
- other dumb shit I do with my money

For the last 7 years, since finishing grad school, I've been making minimums on the car/student loans. Every once in a while, I'd throw a few thousand extra that I had in savings. I thought I was being aggressive... Well now I'm parting out the car mods, working on selling the car, so I can buy used. Then paying off the student loans with the cash from the car sale.

Sarah Saverdink

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Saverdinks
« Reply #3272 on: May 06, 2017, 09:42:17 AM »
Greetings! I've heard a lot about MMM and am looking forward to chatting with other early retirement hopefuls. The husband and I are approaching our mid-30s, have a house, two cats, no kids. We're hoping to retire by the time we are 45. We've already saved a lot and want to maximize savings/investments over the next 10 years to hit financial independence as early as possible. Right now, we're saving over 50% of our take-home pay. Most of our discretionary spending goes towards traveling and outdoors sports/activities.
www.saverdinks.com - DINKs in our 30s. Saved $1M by age 32. Follow our journey to financial independence.

fiStressRelief

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3273 on: May 07, 2017, 04:31:27 PM »
Hi all, been reading MMM for years off and on.  Unfortunately it took quite a while for the ideas to percolate.  I would read something, totally agree with it, but not totally commit to the lifestyle.  Work has always been fine but lately it has been stressing me out and I find myself constantly reading this forum daydreaming about FIRe.  I'm naturally frugal but not a focused investor and never really had a true purpose for the savings.   Somehow I feel that if I force myself to sign up here and post a bit that it will keep my head in the game.

Wife and I are 35/36 with 2 grade schoolers.  Networth is just about to break 900k, but a large portion is home equity from a paid off house that is really more than we need.  I'm not much of a minimalist, but I'm all about efficiency and optimization.  So we are currently hemming and hawing about if/when to downsize. I think it is really the last piece to optimizing our monthly expenses and accelerate our path to FIRE.

RushonFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Live and Learn
« Reply #3274 on: May 07, 2017, 08:33:49 PM »
This is me

PERSONAL: Me 50, Wife 61 / Kids on their own / Two grand kids / House paid off roof new $330k / Cars paid off 16 Outback, 16 Leaf / No debt / Good health / live in the Pacific NW
TARGET ASSET ALLOCATION: 50% equities, 50% bonds / @ Vanguard: VBTLX 35%, VTSAX 30%, VTIAX 20%, VTABX 15% / 65% US, 35% Intl. / My ROI est. is 4.1% / Ret. Savings: 1.1MM, 84.3% IRAs, 15.7% Roths
TARGET WITHDRAWAL RATE: 3.25% / Mo. Exp. $4,000, includes est. taxes / 65% SI - SSI, Pension 100% Survivor+3% COLA / $330k Life Ins.  / My inflation est. 2.9% / Net Worth 1.5MM / Our lifetime savings rate 23% on gross income

My wife and I have never made a lot of money, but we have always tried to be frugal and save for FIRe.  Ive made plenty of financial mistakes (Cars/Boat/Internet Stocks/Family Loans!).  Ive been interested in retirement planning and finances as a hobby since I was 22 when I started my first investment club at work.  Planning for retirement allows me to feel independent, to be an individual, to be me, and not a slave to my employer.  It gives me hope that I wont have to put up with the all of the nonsense and crap I see in todays work place. It gives me back my time and my life to be with the people I like and care for. It gives me freedom.  FIRe allows me to be my happiest. I'm a high performer at work and I've done well.  I'm passionate about my work.  I have a great ordinary life outside of my work and I hate how my work tries to suck everything it can out of me. It affects me, my attitude, and impacts my life family and the friends I still have.  Work to me means zero time for me.  I cant wait to be rid of it.  As much as Ive enjoyed my success at work and a majority of the people I cant wait to leave it behind.  In six months Ill be pulling the plug on my work life, in November 2017 NO MORE OBLIGATIONS except for those I care about!  I watched people before me give themselves to their work without knowing they gave as much as they did, only to find out the hard way when they got tossed before they were ready - without understanding why.  That isnt going to be me - I'm leaving while I'm doing my best work.  Im pushing the plate of shit work tries to make me eat back across the table and telling them to enjoy it without me! ~ I thoroughly enjoy MMM's blog and Ive been a reader since sometime in 2012.  I tell all who will listen, and even those who will not, to check out MMM's awesome blog.  I also love JH Collins F-You Money and manifesto great reads!   Take care and I wish everyone their very best!
Target AA: 50% equities, 50% bonds / @ Vanguard: VBTLX 35%, VTSAX 30%, VTIAX 20%, VTABX 15% / 65% US, 35% Intl. / My ROI est. is 4.1% / Ret. Savings: 1.1MM, 84.3% IRAs, 15.7% Roths
Target WR: 3.25% / Mo. Exp. $4,000, includes taxes / 65% SI - SSI, Pension 100% Survivor+3% COLA / $330k Life Ins.  / My inflation est. 2.9% / NetWorth 1.5MM / Lifetime savings rate 23.01%

jedithunder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3275 on: May 08, 2017, 09:53:04 AM »
14 k in credit debt.
almost 40.
new dad.
tired of being a slave to the banks. going to be done with my CC debt 12/1/18

any positive words of encouragement are always appreciated!

jlcnuke

• Stubble
« Reply #3276 on: May 08, 2017, 12:16:27 PM »
Hey all. 40 years old here, working towards FIRE. Only debt is the mortgage I have for my retirement home. I'm currently saving over 50% and coupled with my current investments and some money I get from the VA I expect that'll get me to retirement in the next 7 years. I'm probably a "spendthrift" relative to many of the people here, but I'm content with that and my current lifestyle right now.
Delta card referral, 10k extra for both of us (60k total bonus miles for you) http://refer.amex.us/JEFFRC3xlu?xl=cp52

Taskforce3Tango

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3277 on: May 09, 2017, 08:58:10 AM »
Hi all,
Names is Jimi. 37 year old father of 1. Most of my debt is in my student loans. Working on starting my own business.

DividendMeter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Dividend Meter
« Reply #3278 on: May 09, 2017, 09:02:12 PM »
Hi All,

Long-time lurker, first time poster here...

I'm 46, married, one son, recently paid off mortgage, no other debt, *almost" semi-retired - compounding stock dividends like crazy to get to FIRE soon.
Compounding Dividends for FIRE
http://www.dividendmeter.com

EWMH

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3279 on: May 10, 2017, 08:31:19 AM »
Hi!

I'm a grad student, originally from the Netherlands, now living in Madison, WI for grad school. I started using YNAB a couple of years ago to prepare for moving to the US, and it completely changed my life (my financial life at first, but resulting from that also the rest of my life). Recently, through YNAB, I discovered the MMM blog. I've been soaking up the readings - a lot of them resonate with my Dutch upbringing (biking!). Reading the MMM posts has given me a lot to think about, including my decision to go to grad school rather than getting a job and making money. I'm excited to learn more about a mustachian lifestyle by being part of the community on this forum. I'd also love to hear from other grad students and other people from the Madison area!

- E

bblinley

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3280 on: May 10, 2017, 12:03:39 PM »
Hey there! I'm a part-time adjunct instructor, full-time parent, recently converted bike to all of the thingser, and practitioner of mustachianism. I live in Iowa City, IA, have three kids, a wife, and an old dog. We live in a great neighborhood, we have regular neighborhood parties and lots of kids that frequently gather in my back yard to play. We had our first bike night last night and it was a big hit, 14 riders ranging in age from 4 - 60+, two kindergartners rode the entire 3.4 miles on their own bikes! I found the blog in October of last year and recently caught up with all of the posts. I am loving this community!

Blackeagle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3281 on: May 10, 2017, 06:05:07 PM »
Howdy everyone!

I'm new to MMM and have been devouring the blog archives.  No debt, but not a lot of retirement savings, so I'm only just starting my journey to FIRE.

tanhar020

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Best Cordless Battery Operated Paint Sprayer
« Reply #3282 on: May 11, 2017, 04:51:14 AM »
Hi,

My name Tandra Harrison.

I enjoy writing which is based on latest information, ideas, and techniques.

In free time I research on new developing technologies.

I am a passionate writer, blogger, and owner of besthvlpspraygun.com.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 04:54:00 AM by tanhar020 »

BrandNewPapa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3283 on: May 11, 2017, 07:46:30 AM »
Hi,

I'm BrandNewPapa, 32 years old from Ohio. I recently started on my FIRE journey. I started good out of college, living my college livestyle and paying of 40k in student loans (and reading MMM blog), but then I got married. My wife didn't really support my lifestyle and we started our lifestyle inflation phase :(

Over the last two years, I've managed to throttle back the inflation and we're starting to simplify. My wife is starting to support some of my lifestyle desires, especially since we recently had a daughter. She wants to be a stay at home mom, which means our income is cut in half. This necessitates spending drawbacks, but I think it delays my timeline for early retirement.

We're debt free except for 117k left on a mortgage (~9 years remaining).

My goal is $1 million net worth by 40 (8 years...hmmm), with early retirement by 45 ($1.5 million min net worth not counting primary residence). Current net worth is 300k-400k (counting our home equity).

dootsiez

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3284 on: May 11, 2017, 10:07:48 PM »
Hi everyone

Just discovered the forums and thought I would introduce myself.

I'm Australian, living in beautiful Melbourne. 28, lawyer, preparing to become self-employed in the next year or so. This unfortunately means that I have most of my money is in cash at the moment to build a reserve for when I take the leap. I have a mortgage (70% outstanding) and some investment - mostly Vanguard, and some direct shares.

Loving this community and hoping you guys will keep me accountable to my goals.

PizzaEngineer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3285 on: May 12, 2017, 11:59:09 AM »
Hi,

I just recently joined the forums. I'm a 33 year old electrical engineer from Atlanta, Ga. I'm married with one child.

I am years from being FI, but really excited about the process of getting there! Looking forward to joining in on all the discussion.

ahemahem

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3286 on: May 13, 2017, 09:11:16 PM »
Hi,
I'm EM and I live in SF. Analysis is my friend; analysis paralysis is my enemy.

Thanks for the community alloyall.

mripkiss

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Behold, I am a great pile of things.
« Reply #3287 on: May 16, 2017, 04:45:30 PM »
Hello, all,

I'm a grad student living in Madison, WI, USA. Between bouts of reading about statistics and R-programming, I found this blog (via Tim Ferriss) and I must say that the Mustachian philosophy corresponds quite nicely with my own disposition. I look forward to seeing how much more efficient and happy I can make my life (and the lives of others) by applying these ideas :-)

-SL

mbolton

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Now back to the good part
« Reply #3288 on: May 17, 2017, 03:15:15 AM »
Fellow Mustachians,

I've read this blog for a couple of years now and I'm finally ready to join the forums.   

I'm a little more gung-ho than my wife on the MMM philosophies, but I still have a ways to go to reach full Badassity.

This is truly an inspiring place.  It has changed my mindset from saving for retirement someday to making early retirement a reality.

Thanks Everyone

scrunchythief

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3289 on: May 17, 2017, 12:20:26 PM »
Hi:)  I'm Katie, I've been lurking a bit and finished reading the blog last month.  My husband and I are both 27, and our daughter is almost 2.  We both work part-time from home and he's working on his graduate engineering degree,also mostly from home.  We've always been very frugal, though we've been cutting down on some impulse shopping (which thankfully was from thrift stores.  But $10 here and there at Goodwill adds up and brings in too much clutter.) 

I love cooking, music and psychological research.  My husband is an avid gardener, tinkerer and scavenger.  Our daughter is wonderful, obsessed with books and playing outside and we're so grateful we've both been able to spend so much time with her.  I also excessively love emoticons:-D

We're both more interested in the financial independence side more-so than the early retiring, since we both are not the best at being self-directed.  But who knows what we'll end up doing in the future!

Lila8

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3290 on: May 17, 2017, 10:18:17 PM »
Hi,

I bookmarked this site last year and finally got around to frequenting it a couple months ago when looking for guidance on how to handle the money I had more or less mindlessly saved/invested over the years.
I (37) and my husband (42) have one toddler and another on the way. I'm a lawyer and he's an adjunct professor.
The site and the forum have helped to guide me on this path to financial independence, if not early retirement. I actually like working, just preferably with a ton more autonomy than I've had in my adult jobs so far ... and not doing what I've been doing for the companies I've been doing it for.  That is dispiriting. I'm here to gain more confidence in my plans by actually knowing wtf I'm doing for sure... enough so that I can feel comfortable taking the big plunge to "follow my dreams."

NMD

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3291 on: May 18, 2017, 05:48:26 AM »
Hi, I'm NMD, a single 24 year old living in the UK, long term FIRE/MMM enthusiast, now wanting to really pick up the pace.

Background
Graduated 2016 (medicine), 30k student loan.
Worked while studying, lived frugally & got into habit of recording spending, started index fund investing.
Started work straight from graduating at higher than UK average salary, but not enormous (35k, will increase fairly fast in next few years as I move up training grades).

Now
Take-home pay (net of pension, student loan, taxes etc) split 50/50 between spending and saving/investment accounts.
Currently buying a house for less than half of UK average; 10% deposit from savings, investments and a bit from family.

Plan
Move into house, furnish cheaply
Let out a room to cover most of mortgage payments
Start to push up investments to 50% of take-home
Progress through training to maximise income
Aim for FIRE by 40

DayLight

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3292 on: May 18, 2017, 12:46:42 PM »
Hello-

I've been lurking here for quite a while. Part of me is a little embarrassed about my financial situation compared to many on this forum, but on the other hand, this forum has really helped me make some progress.

Spouse and I are in 40's, we have 5 kids in joint custody situations, (both divorced in 2010, lost houses and gained debt in the process due to housing bust), we have a medium income and live in a high COL area. A few years ago we both felt completely trapped by financial circumstances, but we have made some good progress since then. This forum really opened up the idea of making choices with our money, rather than just assume all our spending was a given.

My goals:
Pay off interest-bearing debt in 19 months, excluding mortgage
Save for new roof out of pocket
Start saving 50% of income for retirement in 2.5 years.
10 years move to LCOL area using house equity, work part time for living expenses.

Potential plan busters:
pending layoff
spouse health issues
unclear about college costs- two other families to coordinate with, could be more than anticipated

MoStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3293 on: May 19, 2017, 02:19:09 PM »
Hi All,

I've been reading the blog for years but basically doing the opposite with my finances.  My financial situation can't get much worse at this point.  I have so much debt I need to declare bankruptcy but I'm so broke I can't afford the attorney fees. 

Anyway, I'm inspired by the people in this community and would like to start living a more Mustachian existence.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 01:59:25 PM by MoStache »

Tomnomnom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3294 on: May 22, 2017, 01:12:53 PM »
Hi!

I'm Tom. I am glad to join the Mustache Family. I live a wonderful life in Beautiful Boise, Idaho. I am recently married to an amazing Megantita who puts up with all of my Mustachian tendencies. After reading a significant chunk of MMM's writing, I have felt affirmed in many of my beliefs, learned a lot of new principles and strengthened my resolve to live a simple, first world, luxurious life that minimized waste and maximized happiness.

SandraJohn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3295 on: May 23, 2017, 12:38:42 AM »
Hi,
I am Sandra.
A business consultant in a New York based firm. Its really good to be a part of this forum. There are so many amazing people here. I would be happy to share my thoughts here.
Thanks

financial_muse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Debt Free Millennial On Fire
    • Financial Muse
Financial Muse ... Debt Free Millennial on Fire Saying HI :)
« Reply #3296 on: May 23, 2017, 02:12:29 PM »
Hi all,

I just signed up for this forum and wanted to introduce myself before browsing what appears to be a mind boggling number of posts here.  I started a personal finance blog about three months ago at www.financial-muse.com in hopes of sharing things I would have loved to know about in my 20s, but didn't stumble upon until my 30s.

A bit about myself, aside from being in my 30s lol, I am part of a DINK household in hopes and on track to retire within the next 7-10 years (unless DINK turns into DIK of course).  Websites such as MMM and MR have inspired me as I am sure this forum will too.

I look forward to exchanging ideas and thoughts with everyone here :)
FM :)

Stoic on FIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • This too shall pass.
« Reply #3297 on: May 23, 2017, 09:39:49 PM »
Hello all,

I'm a husband, father, a student of Stoicism, and a long-time lurker.

I like the blending of Stoicism with the concept of financial independence and I'm solidly in the accumulation stage for FI.

There are some changes afoot in my life in the next year: a career change, beginning a side project, and possibly another addition to the Stoic on FIRE family and I relish the opportunities these changes will bring.

I look forward to exchanging thoughts and ideas.

Cheers!
Change brings opportunity.

Beegee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3298 on: May 24, 2017, 01:28:28 PM »
Hi everybody,

Been reading for a few years and (not sure why today) I just decided to stop lurking!  :)  Love this community of mostly-like-minded individuals.  A lot of great ideas over here...  I value the things I've read from community members and feel like it's time to join the conversations.

See you in the forum!

AriesFire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3299 on: May 24, 2017, 04:38:24 PM »
Hi,

Want to introduce myself and join the conversation. My husband and I are in our 30s, no kids.

I'm super interested in retiring by the age of 40, my husband not so much!
We have no personal debts and are doing pretty well for our age, but I'd like to start actively working much harder on establishing a budget and optimizing our finances and tax situation. We own a few rental properties as well.

Very inspired by this awesome community!