Author Topic: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself  (Read 529804 times)

scottoftheantipodes

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself
« Reply #3200 on: March 17, 2017, 05:10:07 AM »
Dear Mustachians,

So I have been reading the blog for a while and hearing about this forum all of the time, and then today I noticed the forum icon at the top.

I got so swept up in catching up that I completely missed it, now I have so much more to catch up on.

I am 44 and I consider myself to be semi-retired. I was medically discharged from the Army after 23 years and now I am pensioned off. I am also the stay-home-dad of our 3 kids (11 yr girl, 7 yr boy, 3 yr girl).

I am planning on applying Mustachian principals to work toward becoming financially independant of my pension, or at least getting rid of my debt to free up more of my pension for living life!

Kind regards,

Scott

jordanread

• Magnum Stache
  • Live Long, Live Free, Drop Dead
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #3201 on: March 17, 2017, 07:22:03 AM »
Dear Mustachians,

So I have been reading the blog for a while and hearing about this forum all of the time, and then today I noticed the forum icon at the top.

I got so swept up in catching up that I completely missed it, now I have so much more to catch up on.

I am 44 and I consider myself to be semi-retired. I was medically discharged from the Army after 23 years and now I am pensioned off. I am also the stay-home-dad of our 3 kids (11 yr girl, 7 yr boy, 3 yr girl).

I am planning on applying Mustachian principals to work toward becoming financially independant of my pension, or at least getting rid of my debt to free up more of my pension for living life!

Kind regards,

Scott

Welcome. Find Nords. He is the military related badass around these parts.
Join the cycling challenge!
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

"Mustachians rarely sit back and let things happen to them. Mustachians go out and happen to things."

Camp Mustache Canada - Sold Out Already!!

ishoutedmyjoy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3202 on: March 17, 2017, 08:57:02 AM »
howdy, I'm Evan
I live in rural GA. I've been reading up on the blog the last 6-8 months and just diving deeper with the forums.
My wife and i both work in non-profit. Still over a decade before FI but in the past 4 months have been able to save close to 50% of our earnings.
I wanted to say thanks to everyone for sharing their expertise.
There are so many great ideas or deeply researched opinions. I really appreciate it.
Thanks!

Silkspin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3203 on: March 17, 2017, 12:29:06 PM »
Hello, I've only recently come across the blog, and of course ate it up in a few sittings! I guess I can call myself a semi-quasi-seasaw mustachian for many years. Done some things right and some things very wrong.

In brief: The book The credit diet shook me out of a terrible sleep, where hubby and I graduated University, got married ($$$), got stuck abroad in 911 ($$$) had school loans ($$$), even though we had decent entry-level jobs. Debt was killing us. That book saved me, got me out from under 20k in debt by giving up our apt, moving in with in-laws for 2 years, and then we borrowed against our rrsps for our first home.

Moved to a cheaper (my home) city when my daughter was born. Lots of ups and downs that I won't go into, but cost of living better. The credit diet references Your Money or your Life, and I accidentally came across it at a used bookstore for $2. Although debts not as high as before, it had crept up (setbacks related to moving cities and selling the house when the market crashed in 08 - talk about bad timing for our move!), and this book woke me up too, and we changed many habits. So now, with MMM, I'm due for round 3 obsession!

I look forward to seeing my progress by eating up more of MMM and the forum. We are not in a bad place, but we can get a lot better!

starjay

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3204 on: March 17, 2017, 01:27:24 PM »
Hello, fine people of Mustache Land. I've been lurking, but decided to register and post in order to join one of the "Race to" threads. I've just started tracking my net worth this year, so was I pretty excited to be able to participate.

I was extravagantly dumb re: use of credit and finances in general in my mid/late 20s, so but started the journey to debt-free a few years ago, and I'll be out from under the credit cards by the end of summer, and should be out from under the student loans by this time next year. I'll probably have no idea what to do with myself at that point. I'll have to find a new financial focus (like...saving 6 months living expenses!)

Fortunately, even though I was an idiot with credit, I've had a 401(k) since I started working full-time in my early 20s, so I'm not starting completely from zero when it comes to retirement funds. I'm just starting from farther behind than I'd like to be. But! I'm making progress, and I'm content with that for now.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #3205 on: March 17, 2017, 10:59:39 PM »
Dear Mustachians,

Kind regards,

Scott

Welcome. Find Nords. He is the military related badass around these parts.
Thanks, Jordanread!

Welcome, Scott.  I see Townsville in your profile.  Rather than asking a U.S. military retiree your questions about Australian military benefits, you could contact fellow Australian military retiree Ozstache (https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/profile/?u=2174) with questions.  He knows far more about that than I'll ever probably learn.
Author of "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement".   All royalties (and writing revenue) donated to military charities.
I don't read every post, so please PM or e-mail me to get my attention...

hashbrowns

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3206 on: March 18, 2017, 11:25:52 AM »
Hi everyone!
I'm 31, have been a mechanic for the past decade, and decided that I need to go back to school to become an engineer. So I picked up a nice life in Hawaii, and moved to rainy Portland.
I've always been pretty frugal. Spending money always kills me. I became a mechanic because I couldn't afford to pay someone to fix my broken car!
I want to become an engineer because I've thought it was a cool career since I was little. A decent pay check is just frosting.
So this whole life change lately has me all shaken up, and I'm trying to figure out how to survive without being completely gutted in the process.
Thanks for the community, I've learned so much already!

homeontheloose

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Home On The Loose
« Reply #3207 on: March 19, 2017, 12:01:35 AM »
Hello Mustachians!
I'm a late-comer to financial awareness and have been crushing through the blog.
I am a husband, father, climber and teacher in Lafayette, Colorado.

Looking forward to learning with you all.
Thanks!
Jim

smaze

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3208 on: March 19, 2017, 07:25:48 AM »
Hi! I'm a 32 year old physical therapist. For those who don't know, it's a great profession but students typically incur large amounts of student debt. I am one of those people - graduated in 2014 with a whopping $92K in debt at 5.15%-7.9% interest. I didn't like that at all, especially once I calculated the $520 monthly aka $16 daily interest. Not fun.

On the plus side, these numbers and their effect on me helped me to understand money in a new way. I didn't want to be a slave to it any longer than I had to.

I would often describe my loan repayment strategy as "pathological", as I try to put at least $2000 a month towards these loans on a 60K salary. Often people call me crazy. But now 2.5 years later I'm down to $28,000 in principle and $10,000 saved in retirement. I'm still in the hole, but it feels nice to be near the surface.

I stumbled upon this site just recently while researching financial strategies online, and I find the mindset here to be quite refreshing and inspiring. I feel I could learn a thing or two here from like minded people. I thought my strategy was extreme, but I suppose it is all relative! If anyone ever wants to talk about student loans feel free to ask me.

stwicky

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3209 on: March 20, 2017, 05:56:00 AM »
Hello everyone.  I am an engineer living and working in the middle east for the last dozen years.  The life has been good to us and we are approaching retirement.  As a matter of fact, my wife retired last week at 58.  Not too early relative to some of the people on the forum but, nonetheless.  I am 52 and trying to plan our escape. 

I need some advice as well.  Where can I post our particulars and some questions?

Cheers and thanks for this website.

jordanread

• Magnum Stache
  • Live Long, Live Free, Drop Dead
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #3210 on: March 20, 2017, 06:08:40 AM »
Hello everyone.  I am an engineer living and working in the middle east for the last dozen years.  The life has been good to us and we are approaching retirement.  As a matter of fact, my wife retired last week at 58.  Not too early relative to some of the people on the forum but, nonetheless.  I am 52 and trying to plan our escape. 

I need some advice as well.  Where can I post our particulars and some questions?

Cheers and thanks for this website.

Try the Ask-A-Mustachian section.
Join the cycling challenge!
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

"Mustachians rarely sit back and let things happen to them. Mustachians go out and happen to things."

Camp Mustache Canada - Sold Out Already!!

rebel_quietude

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3211 on: March 20, 2017, 10:00:22 AM »
Hi folks! I'm a longtime lurker, which in retrospect is pretty creepy . . . discovered MMM in 2012 and I've been chugging along ever since. I need some motivation nowadays - work dominates life and perspective is a necessity.

Looking forward to chatting with you all!

DrumAllDay

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3212 on: March 21, 2017, 10:59:46 AM »
Hi everyone. I am 24 years old, I have a steady job in the trades as well as a few side hustle gigs, and have a bunch of other interests that include music, exercise, outdoors, DIY projects, and of course, frugal living. Here is my story:

I discovered MMM several months ago. I have read all of his posts and this way of living has already greatly impacted my life. One day I decided to check out the forum and I was amazed at the community that is here! I look forward to learning more and hopefully sharing anything that can be useful. I am also interested in meeting other 20 somethings who are interested in this lifestyle. I feel like not many people in this age group think about living frugal yet full lives.

Feels good to finally be a part of this!

Pennycounter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3213 on: March 21, 2017, 02:23:11 PM »
Hi!

Been reading the blog for about 6 months and finally meandered over here. I'm 38, and have naturally frugal tendencies but they've been kicked into overdrive lately.  I would love to quit my job to be a SAHM and explore other passions and career options.  We live in the SF Bay Area so I don't think I can completely disappear from the workforce but I'd like the space to find something I'm passionate about.

I work in construction now and its grueling. Plus my husband has supported my career for my entire career and its time for him to get a chance to shine.  I have an almost 2 & 5 year old.

The heartburn is that we can't live off DH's income (in this area) and I make about 40% more than him. We could live off my income but that holds no appeal for either of us.  We are working our way through this decision and understanding what we can cut and maintain a quality of life is really helped by the blog and forum. Thanks for all the info and support folks!

Dmash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3214 on: March 21, 2017, 03:03:40 PM »
Hello Mustachians,

My name is David.  I've been reading the blog for about a month and 1/2 now and started from the beginning, so I'm currently in June 2013.  As a working musician in NYC I've learned how to live frugally over the years, but this blog is helping me see things in a whole new light.  I no longer feel bad about myself for living frugally.  The MMM family and all you badasses are reframing what it means to be frugal and free.  Thank you all, I'm honored to be here and am looking forward to reaching new heights. 

Chickwit

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3215 on: March 21, 2017, 07:27:45 PM »
Greetings,

I'm new to this blog and stumbled across MMM by accident.

What a great accident! I've been reading blog posts and listening to podcasts for a couple of weeks. Such a goldmine here and I'm sure I'll be spending many more hours absorbing life changing information.

I've been a fan of Dave Ramsey and some others over the years. Growing up with my Grandparents instilled a sense of frugality from a young age. Though I haven't been as wise as I'd like. So it's a new year and I'm looking to get my ducks in a row.

See you around the forums,
Chickwit

G-Cool

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3216 on: March 22, 2017, 08:08:49 AM »
Hi everyone,

I discovered MMM in August 2015 and I’ve been a regular reader since. I’m a 36 year old engineer living with my girlfriend and 1 year old son in Montréal, Québec, Canada.

I recently quit my job as a project manager because I want to work in finance since I finished my MBA in 2015. I realized that I needed to do full-time job searching, since I wasn’t good trying to do it part-time, especially because it involves a career change. It wasn’t an easy decision, since it pushes back my FIRE date. But I’ve been unhappy at work for so long that I figured it is well worth a shot. And thanks to our frugal habits, I have plenty of FU money to finance this project!

Anyway, thanks to all of you for contributing to this amazing forum! Looking forward to contribute.

WeaponX

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3217 on: March 22, 2017, 12:48:53 PM »
Hi everyone,

I’m Brandon. I live in Washington State.

Just joined MMM forums after being away from the site for a few years.

Quick rundown:

I Quit my consulting work about 3 years ago and moved in with family to cut my overhead down while working on becoming truly FI.

I've got a small business in costume fabrication that creates some passive income on top of doing commission work.

I've written some book summaries that generates some passive income.

I just re-read YMOYL and realized I was still putting the cart before the horse. So I'm re-assessing everything at the moment!

Petey B

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3218 on: Today at 03:20:56 PM »
Hello there friends and fellow Mustachians,

My name is Peter, I'm 29 and from Northern Virginia, about thirty miles west of Washington, DC.  A longtime forum "lurker," I've finally conjured up the cajones to join in the conversation...!  Looking forward to meeting and collaborating with all the interesting, intelligent folks who frequent this forum.  Cheers!

- Petey B