Author Topic: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself  (Read 579636 times)

ishoutedmyjoy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself
« Reply #3200 on: March 17, 2017, 08:57:02 AM »
howdy, I'm Evan
I live in rural GA. I've been reading up on the blog the last 6-8 months and just diving deeper with the forums.
My wife and i both work in non-profit. Still over a decade before FI but in the past 4 months have been able to save close to 50% of our earnings.
I wanted to say thanks to everyone for sharing their expertise.
There are so many great ideas or deeply researched opinions. I really appreciate it.
Thanks!

Silkspin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3201 on: March 17, 2017, 12:29:06 PM »
Hello, I've only recently come across the blog, and of course ate it up in a few sittings! I guess I can call myself a semi-quasi-seasaw mustachian for many years. Done some things right and some things very wrong.

In brief: The book The credit diet shook me out of a terrible sleep, where hubby and I graduated University, got married ($$$), got stuck abroad in 911 ($$$) had school loans ($$$), even though we had decent entry-level jobs. Debt was killing us. That book saved me, got me out from under 20k in debt by giving up our apt, moving in with in-laws for 2 years, and then we borrowed against our rrsps for our first home.

Moved to a cheaper (my home) city when my daughter was born. Lots of ups and downs that I won't go into, but cost of living better. The credit diet references Your Money or your Life, and I accidentally came across it at a used bookstore for $2. Although debts not as high as before, it had crept up (setbacks related to moving cities and selling the house when the market crashed in 08 - talk about bad timing for our move!), and this book woke me up too, and we changed many habits. So now, with MMM, I'm due for round 3 obsession!

I look forward to seeing my progress by eating up more of MMM and the forum. We are not in a bad place, but we can get a lot better!

starjay

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3202 on: March 17, 2017, 01:27:24 PM »
Hello, fine people of Mustache Land. I've been lurking, but decided to register and post in order to join one of the "Race to" threads. I've just started tracking my net worth this year, so was I pretty excited to be able to participate.

I was extravagantly dumb re: use of credit and finances in general in my mid/late 20s, so but started the journey to debt-free a few years ago, and I'll be out from under the credit cards by the end of summer, and should be out from under the student loans by this time next year. I'll probably have no idea what to do with myself at that point. I'll have to find a new financial focus (like...saving 6 months living expenses!)

Fortunately, even though I was an idiot with credit, I've had a 401(k) since I started working full-time in my early 20s, so I'm not starting completely from zero when it comes to retirement funds. I'm just starting from farther behind than I'd like to be. But! I'm making progress, and I'm content with that for now.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #3203 on: March 17, 2017, 10:59:39 PM »
Dear Mustachians,

So I have been reading the blog for a while and hearing about this forum all of the time, and then today I noticed the forum icon at the top.

I got so swept up in catching up that I completely missed it, now I have so much more to catch up on.

I am 44 and I consider myself to be semi-retired. I was medically discharged from the Army after 23 years and now I am pensioned off. I am also the stay-home-dad of our 3 kids (11 yr girl, 7 yr boy, 3 yr girl).

I am planning on applying Mustachian principals to work toward becoming financially independant of my pension, or at least getting rid of my debt to free up more of my pension for living life!

Kind regards,

Scott

Welcome. Find Nords. He is the military related badass around these parts.
Thanks, Jordanread!

Welcome, Scott.  I see Townsville in your profile.  Rather than asking a U.S. military retiree your questions about Australian military benefits, you could contact fellow Australian military retiree Ozstache (https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/profile/?u=2174) with questions.  He knows far more about that than I'll ever probably learn.
Author of "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement".   All royalties (and writing revenue) donated to military charities.
I don't read every post, so please PM or e-mail me to get my attention...

hashbrowns

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3204 on: March 18, 2017, 11:25:52 AM »
Hi everyone!
I'm 31, have been a mechanic for the past decade, and decided that I need to go back to school to become an engineer. So I picked up a nice life in Hawaii, and moved to rainy Portland.
I've always been pretty frugal. Spending money always kills me. I became a mechanic because I couldn't afford to pay someone to fix my broken car!
I want to become an engineer because I've thought it was a cool career since I was little. A decent pay check is just frosting.
So this whole life change lately has me all shaken up, and I'm trying to figure out how to survive without being completely gutted in the process.
Thanks for the community, I've learned so much already!

homeontheloose

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Home On The Loose
« Reply #3205 on: March 19, 2017, 12:01:35 AM »
Hello Mustachians!
I'm a late-comer to financial awareness and have been crushing through the blog.
I am a husband, father, climber and teacher in Lafayette, Colorado.

Looking forward to learning with you all.
Thanks!
Jim

smaze

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3206 on: March 19, 2017, 07:25:48 AM »
Hi! I'm a 32 year old physical therapist. For those who don't know, it's a great profession but students typically incur large amounts of student debt. I am one of those people - graduated in 2014 with a whopping $92K in debt at 5.15%-7.9% interest. I didn't like that at all, especially once I calculated the $520 monthly aka $16 daily interest. Not fun.

On the plus side, these numbers and their effect on me helped me to understand money in a new way. I didn't want to be a slave to it any longer than I had to.

I would often describe my loan repayment strategy as "pathological", as I try to put at least $2000 a month towards these loans on a 60K salary. Often people call me crazy. But now 2.5 years later I'm down to $28,000 in principle and $10,000 saved in retirement. I'm still in the hole, but it feels nice to be near the surface.

I stumbled upon this site just recently while researching financial strategies online, and I find the mindset here to be quite refreshing and inspiring. I feel I could learn a thing or two here from like minded people. I thought my strategy was extreme, but I suppose it is all relative! If anyone ever wants to talk about student loans feel free to ask me.

stwicky

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3207 on: March 20, 2017, 05:56:00 AM »
Hello everyone.  I am an engineer living and working in the middle east for the last dozen years.  The life has been good to us and we are approaching retirement.  As a matter of fact, my wife retired last week at 58.  Not too early relative to some of the people on the forum but, nonetheless.  I am 52 and trying to plan our escape. 

I need some advice as well.  Where can I post our particulars and some questions?

Cheers and thanks for this website.

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
  • Live Long, Live Free, Drop Dead
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #3208 on: March 20, 2017, 06:08:40 AM »
Hello everyone.  I am an engineer living and working in the middle east for the last dozen years.  The life has been good to us and we are approaching retirement.  As a matter of fact, my wife retired last week at 58.  Not too early relative to some of the people on the forum but, nonetheless.  I am 52 and trying to plan our escape. 

I need some advice as well.  Where can I post our particulars and some questions?

Cheers and thanks for this website.

Try the Ask-A-Mustachian section.
Join the cycling challenge!
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

"Mustachians rarely sit back and let things happen to them. Mustachians go out and happen to things."

Camp Mustache Canada - Sold Out Already!!

rebel_quietude

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3209 on: March 20, 2017, 10:00:22 AM »
Hi folks! I'm a longtime lurker, which in retrospect is pretty creepy . . . discovered MMM in 2012 and I've been chugging along ever since. I need some motivation nowadays - work dominates life and perspective is a necessity.

Looking forward to chatting with you all!

DrumAllDay

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3210 on: March 21, 2017, 10:59:46 AM »
Hi everyone. I am 24 years old, I have a steady job in the trades as well as a few side hustle gigs, and have a bunch of other interests that include music, exercise, outdoors, DIY projects, and of course, frugal living. Here is my story:

I discovered MMM several months ago. I have read all of his posts and this way of living has already greatly impacted my life. One day I decided to check out the forum and I was amazed at the community that is here! I look forward to learning more and hopefully sharing anything that can be useful. I am also interested in meeting other 20 somethings who are interested in this lifestyle. I feel like not many people in this age group think about living frugal yet full lives.

Feels good to finally be a part of this!

Pennycounter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3211 on: March 21, 2017, 02:23:11 PM »
Hi!

Been reading the blog for about 6 months and finally meandered over here. I'm 38, and have naturally frugal tendencies but they've been kicked into overdrive lately.  I would love to quit my job to be a SAHM and explore other passions and career options.  We live in the SF Bay Area so I don't think I can completely disappear from the workforce but I'd like the space to find something I'm passionate about.

I work in construction now and its grueling. Plus my husband has supported my career for my entire career and its time for him to get a chance to shine.  I have an almost 2 & 5 year old.

The heartburn is that we can't live off DH's income (in this area) and I make about 40% more than him. We could live off my income but that holds no appeal for either of us.  We are working our way through this decision and understanding what we can cut and maintain a quality of life is really helped by the blog and forum. Thanks for all the info and support folks!

Dmash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3212 on: March 21, 2017, 03:03:40 PM »
Hello Mustachians,

My name is David.  I've been reading the blog for about a month and 1/2 now and started from the beginning, so I'm currently in June 2013.  As a working musician in NYC I've learned how to live frugally over the years, but this blog is helping me see things in a whole new light.  I no longer feel bad about myself for living frugally.  The MMM family and all you badasses are reframing what it means to be frugal and free.  Thank you all, I'm honored to be here and am looking forward to reaching new heights. 

Chickwit

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3213 on: March 21, 2017, 07:27:45 PM »
Greetings,

I'm new to this blog and stumbled across MMM by accident.

What a great accident! I've been reading blog posts and listening to podcasts for a couple of weeks. Such a goldmine here and I'm sure I'll be spending many more hours absorbing life changing information.

I've been a fan of Dave Ramsey and some others over the years. Growing up with my Grandparents instilled a sense of frugality from a young age. Though I haven't been as wise as I'd like. So it's a new year and I'm looking to get my ducks in a row.

See you around the forums,
Chickwit

G-Cool

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3214 on: March 22, 2017, 08:08:49 AM »
Hi everyone,

I discovered MMM in August 2015 and I’ve been a regular reader since. I’m a 36 year old engineer living with my girlfriend and 1 year old son in Montréal, Québec, Canada.

I recently quit my job as a project manager because I want to work in finance since I finished my MBA in 2015. I realized that I needed to do full-time job searching, since I wasn’t good trying to do it part-time, especially because it involves a career change. It wasn’t an easy decision, since it pushes back my FIRE date. But I’ve been unhappy at work for so long that I figured it is well worth a shot. And thanks to our frugal habits, I have plenty of FU money to finance this project!

Anyway, thanks to all of you for contributing to this amazing forum! Looking forward to contribute.

TheBrandon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3215 on: March 22, 2017, 12:48:53 PM »
Hi everyone,

I’m Brandon. I live in Washington State.

Just joined MMM forums after being away from the site for a few years.

Quick rundown:

I Quit my consulting work about 3 years ago and moved in with family to cut my overhead down while working on becoming truly FI.

I've got a small business in costume fabrication that creates some passive income on top of doing commission work.

I've written some book summaries that generates some passive income.

I just re-read YMOYL and realized I was still putting the cart before the horse. So I'm re-assessing everything at the moment!

Petey B

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3216 on: March 23, 2017, 03:20:56 PM »
Hello there friends and fellow Mustachians,

My name is Peter, I'm 29 and from Northern Virginia, about thirty miles west of Washington, DC.  A longtime forum "lurker," I've finally conjured up the cajones to join in the conversation...!  Looking forward to meeting and collaborating with all the interesting, intelligent folks who frequent this forum.  Cheers!

- Petey B

ozmickey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3217 on: March 25, 2017, 03:14:07 AM »
Hello everyone,

My DH and I recently bought our first home together! We have had some tough financial times after I emigrated to marry my Aussie.

I am looking for ideas to help get the house paid off (no tax deduction for mortgage interest here) and get some savings/passive income before retiring.

Peruapartment

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3218 on: March 25, 2017, 04:13:32 AM »
Hi everyone i am stuart

1967Goat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3219 on: March 25, 2017, 04:53:39 PM »
Hi everyone..

Been lurking for quite a while and finally decided to register.  I live about an hour from Longmont, CO in Conifer, CO and have relatives who live just north of Longmont, in Berthoud and Loveland.  Wife and I both work and puts TONS of money into our 401k.  We have 2 boys, 5 & 6.  Re-fi'd to a 20 year fixed mortgage @ 3.875% 5 years ago, so we have 15 years left on our mortgage.  I should be able to retire at 58 in 15 years when the house is paid off.

My undergrad is in Finance and Economics from Colorado State Univ (CSU), 1997.  I consider myself thrifty, but certainly not cheap.  Moved to CO from NJ in 1995 to attend CSU when I was 21.  Never looked back.

Looking forward to being a contributing member of the forum!

shouldifi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Should I FI?
« Reply #3220 on: March 27, 2017, 05:49:22 AM »
Hello everyone I'm Mr. Sifi! I've just entered the blogosphere with my new site Should I FI?1 I'm a 30 year old family man with a wife and two little ones. I'm relatively new to the FI community and one of the main reason that I started a new blog was because I've had a hard time relating to any of the big FI blogs out there. Being able to relate is a key to learning and I'm hoping that there are some folks out there that can relate to my family's journey.

I'm not FI and not really close at this stage in my life. With that said, I love the concept of Financial Independence, however I'm not sure this is the right time in our lives to go all in. Right now we're doing the opposite of hustling because our little ones are both under the age of two. After crunching the numbers, we could probably reach FI in 12-15 years if we buckled-down, but as you can tell from the title of my blog, we're not really sure that is what we want. Spending time with our little ones while they are young is the most important thing to us.

I'm going to spend a lot of time examining some of the common practices for reaching FI and try to apply them to my life to see if they are attainable with little impact. The concept of FI is all about deferred gratification, however, in our opinion, the most important time in our lives is right now! We could do something like downsize/downgrade our house to have a lower mortgage in order to up our savings rate but we're actually in the process of doing the opposite. One of our dreams is to build a home that our children will grow up in! Will this set us back in our journey to FI? Definitely! Do we care? Not really!

I'm excited to get to know everyone here and to contribute to all of the interesting conversations going on in the personal finance realm! I hope you enjoy my contributions and I hope you visit my site sometime.
Regards,
Mr. Sifi

http://www.shouldifi.com/
Twitter - @shouldifi

BGordon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3221 on: March 27, 2017, 08:41:05 PM »
Hello Everyone,

My name is Ben and I am 49 years old.  Found this forum a few days ago when I decided I needed to get serious about retirement planning.  In the process of trying to determine exactly how much I will need and how long it will take to get there.  Very interested in seeing what other people's thoughts are regarding investment strategies and expected returns (both before and during retirement).
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 10:29:58 AM by BGordon »

BeardedBellyBastard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3222 on: March 27, 2017, 10:48:53 PM »
Hello! Thank you Mr Money Mustache and friends. My dumb ass spent way too much money on shit I don't need. This website has been a good kick in the ass reminder to work for myself and stop being a slave to useless shit.
I spent my youth doing cool things though and do not regret those experiences. I have spent this last year climbing out of credit card debt. I will pay these off in the next 2 months!! My used car will be paid off in 10 more months. After that I can get cracking at this retirement plan and hopefully end up on a beach doings back flips.

Yeeee
Lets save some $$$ B1Tc4es
(apologies if this offends anyone I am a bit of a bastard at times)

TentacleFlatbread

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3223 on: March 28, 2017, 09:05:55 AM »
Hi!  I'm Flatbread.

I'm a 26-yo choir teacher trying to figure out if FIRE is possible with my terrible, mandatory retirement plan, and what to do if it isn't.

evaporator

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3224 on: March 29, 2017, 07:34:37 PM »
Hi,
I'm new to MMM but think it's pretty inspiring.
I'm trying to figure out what to do with my current situation. Stay with one of the big, front loaded mutual fund pushing firms that now want to limit my investment choices and charge me more for the favor, or quit them altogether and go with Vanguard or Betterment or something else.
I should keep reading.....

FIREy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3225 on: March 31, 2017, 02:11:04 PM »
Hi. I was introduced to MMM on FIRE / frugal inspired podcasts. I've been exploring the website and forum and have found a lot of inspiring posts and ideas. I read The Millionaire Next Door years ago, and have a decidedly piggy bank like nature. My husband and I live in NYC where we have been able to consistently save well more than half our income. We're at a point where we are close to pulling the trigger and retiring early to a sunnier and more LCOL area.   :)
I look forward to learning from everyone on the forum.

Corrugated Ironic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3226 on: April 01, 2017, 11:52:26 AM »
Hi all. I just finished reading the blog and thought I would join the forum. It is nice to see a whole community of people who embrace something like the corrugated ironist philosophy in which I was raised (the core tenets of which are Sales Resistance, Money Is For Investing and Don't Make Decisions Based On What Other People Are Doing). I'm mid-twenties, just finished school and starting a professional career. My goal is to work a fairly conventional career path for 5-7 years, then start my own business in a way that reflects my values, puts me in control of my time and still makes sense financially.

zscore

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3227 on: April 01, 2017, 09:17:51 PM »
I'm zscore.

I'm 28 and live in the metro Detroit area. I've been reading the MMM blog for motivation on scaling back to my pre-steady employment level of spending, while increasing expectations on my quality of life (like fitness, DIY knowledge, things like that). My main challenges come from my perfectionism, and worrying over little details. Since I'm a woman, people are more than happy to support me in this: "Don't go walking alone because you could be kidnapped", "Don't get too in shape or you'll get too bulky", "Don't bike alone or you could be attacked", etc.

I joined the forum because of the marketplace, tbh. Craigslist in my area is...a mixed bag of "normal" and "scammer", whereas MMM forums are self-selecting.

So, hello!

Jaayse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3228 on: April 02, 2017, 01:40:43 AM »
Hi everyone,

I found MMM through a cousin of mine linking the surprisingly simple math for retirement post on his facebook.  I have always been a bit mustachian with my spending, but it took reading that article to open my eyes to a new goal, FIRE! 

I graduated college in 2009 and the job market was not very kind to someone with an Anthropology degree with minors in Business and Italian.  So I decided to join the Navy as an officer.  I am writing this post from the Indian ocean after having spent the past few months very painfully loading every MMM post and reading them all, think dial up speed... 

Despite having only just found MMM, I am 30 and have almost 170k in liquid assets (investments, CDs, IRA) and 95k in equity in my condo with no debt other than my mortgage.  I will soon be changing stations from my current home base in San Diego to Naples, Italy.  Now that my eyes have been opened to the opportunities in life, I am going to leverage the hell out of my language skills and run some side hustles with Airbnb and renting out my house. 
My Journal:  https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/the-journey-of-a-lifetime/
www.airbnb.com/c/justinec3400  -> Sign up for AirBnB here for 40$ on your account
Ibotta referral code:  ulyodxt

Cheap_Freedom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3229 on: April 02, 2017, 04:04:13 PM »
Hi I just started reading MMM a few months ago. So far I love the blog.

I also just finished saving my first 10K for an emergency fund. Currently working on a way to invest everything else I'm planning on saving.

andlu89

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3230 on: April 02, 2017, 08:16:45 PM »
Good evening everybody,

I finished reading through the MMM blogs and happy to register and join a community of like-minded individuals!

I am 28 y/o male, single, and currently am Active Duty with the Public Health Service, a non-combatant branch of the Dept of HHS.
I'm really lucky to have discovered the "Your debt is an emergency" series and it encouraged me to use my sign on bonus and special pays to pay down my debt instead of buying a Challenger like I nearly did. Looking back, I am VERY glad I did.

I am working on being more efficient with my food spending, since I am a competitive amateur olympic weightlifter and eat enough for two people.
That and getting motivated enough with the little energy I have left after work and training to discover other streams of income that align with my interests.

I hope to meet some of you in the future!

sentry

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3231 on: April 03, 2017, 05:31:12 AM »
What's up Mustachians!

Been lurking around the forums for a while and figured I'd introduce myself. I'm 27 y/o active duty military, married with one kiddo. Working on streamlining our expenses, building our 'stache, and learning as much as we can! My wife is currently doing the stay at home thing, but may pick up a job in a year or so (my son's still very young). We currently save about 50-55% of our income after getting our finances in order over the last year and absorbing the information on this blog. Goal is 65%!  Here's how we stand right now:

Emergency fund: $1500
Roth TSP: $10,000
Vanguard Roth IRA: $11,000
Vanguard Taxable: $20,000

Mortgage: $203,000@3.8% w/ ~$6,000 in equity
1 Car paid off worth $16,000
1 Truck on loan $17,000 remaining will be selling soon @ $20,000 (face punch me...)

Chairman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3232 on: April 03, 2017, 08:10:42 AM »
Hi. Longtime reader of the Boglehead forums, and have been aware of MMM for some time. Decided to create an account here to get a different perspective. Seems that some Bogleheads are Mustachians and some Mustachians are Bogleheads, but being a Boglehead doesn't make you a Mustchian and being a Mustachian doesn't make you a Boglehead. In a way, I am here to find out what I am.

Sydneystache

• Stubble
  • Aiming for RE!
« Reply #3233 on: April 03, 2017, 08:56:09 AM »
Hi. Longtime reader of the Boglehead forums, and have been aware of MMM for some time. Decided to create an account here to get a different perspective. Seems that some Bogleheads are Mustachians and some Mustachians are Bogleheads, but being a Boglehead doesn't make you a Mustchian and being a Mustachian doesn't make you a Boglehead. In a way, I am here to find out what I am.

Perhaps you're a bit of both and sometimes neither?

Welcome anyway. I have read Bogleheads but have yet to join and post.

NiccoloM

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3234 on: April 05, 2017, 04:39:09 AM »
Hi I'm Jack, and new to this whole place, but i have found it as one of the most concentrated and honest sources of good solid financial and life style advice on the entire nets. so prepare to have your brains picked.

alzxjm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3235 on: April 05, 2017, 01:06:34 PM »
Hi! I've been reading MMM for a year or so and never registered for whatever reason.

Quick background:

I live in Wichita, KS with my wife, dog, and two cats. I'm a data scientist, work from home and my wife is a resident physician (psychiatry). We don't have kids, but will be starting that in a year or so.

I've always been fairly frugal, with a few glaring exceptions. I haven't paid anyone to cut my hair in at least 3 years, I cook almost every meal, I always try to have a home gym. I do all my own auto maintenance and I build as much of my own furniture as I can. Her car is a 2000 Honda Civic she got for free from her grandmother, which we've spent about $20 on in 5 years (broken doorhandle). My car is a 1999 Subaru Outback which I bought for $1,000 with a blown head gasket, fixed/refurbished for about $1,000 and have spent nothing on it since except for tires. My phone (Nexus 6) is from 2014 and my main laptop is from 2008 (Thinkpad x200). We produce one trash can's worth of waste in a year. No cable, I garden, I drive less than 5,000 miles a year (bicycle year round), all that MMM stuff.

Now for the bad stuff: I fell into the reddit-centric trap of justifying "BIFL" (buy-it-for-life) goods which are hardly ever BIFL. In the past 5 years, I've spent:
  • $390 for 2 pairs of raw denim (I later sold the $220 pair for ~$200)
  • $120 for a mechanical keyboard
  • $200 for headphones (later sold on craigslist)
  • $120 for earbuds (sold on eBay)
  • $600 for a fancy new Dell laptop (sold)
  • $400 on Canadian boots, presumably assembled by a grisled old cobbler in a BC cabin
  • $180 on a Vitamix blender
  • $500 on stereo equipment for the whole house
I could go on, but you get the idea. Some of these are embarrassing (the /r/headphones people really roped me in, dammit) but I still like my Vitamix, which I got refurbished, and ghastily expensive boots. I use the Vitamix once or twice a day to make meal replacement protein shakes that cost less than $0.90 and I've owned shitty blenders before that don't last 100 duty cycles. I hope the boots last the rest of my life and, if they don't, at least I learned a valuable lesson. My wife and I also have a high-end restaurant habit we have to kick. There were months we spent over $500 on restaurants.

These spending habits aren't anywhere close to as bad as those as my friends and my wife's coworkers. But they are embarrassing because I still have student loan debt and my savings rate, up until recently, has been very low. But I've cured myself of all this stuff now, my wife and I have a nice 'stashe growing, and life is better now.

Going Forward:

My wife and I are looking to be FI in about 7-8 years (age 38), which should be no sweat as our income now is ~$135,000 and she's still in residency. I don't make the mistake of counting my chickens before they hatch, but she's gotten a few job offers in the $250,000 range and her attendings agree that that's roughly what she can expect to make. I'm playing around with the idea of stopping my career even sooner (like 34-35) and working on side hustles, managing our money, and raising our kids.

Last year, if you don't count student loan payments (which should be gone in <3 years), and rent (buying a house very soon) we spent $28,000 without even trying to be frugal. This year I hope to get below $20,000. We're very lucky that she has a generous, wealthy mother (who is amazingly mustachian herself) who in the past 5 years has taken us to NYC annually for Broadway shows, Park City, UT for annual week-long skiing trips and to London, France, and the Grand Canyon. So we never feel the need to travel and we have an amazing life. We do go camping a lot.

So anyway, that's my story. Great to be here! And if you're in Wichita, let me know!

Gone_Hiking

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3236 on: April 05, 2017, 09:15:22 PM »
Hi all, my name is Kate and I live in southern Arizona with husband and a child under 10.  I found this forum a few months ago and have been lurking.  Because I am serious about reaching FI within 8 years - and you, the MM Community Members, know what it means - I am happy to jump in, share what I learned and ask others when I have a question.   

Singletrack

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3237 on: April 07, 2017, 06:38:16 PM »
Hi, I'm Charlie.

Long time reader of the forums but first time post. I live in the Ogden area north of Salt Lake City in Utah. My wife and I work and have 4 kids at home.

I've read all the MMM articles within the past year and agree with many of the principles. I've started to adopt many of these into my own life and looking forward to being FI within the next few years.

Some recent changes I've made;
1. 12 months from paying off student loans due to increase in monthly payment.
2. I will have a 3 year old car payed off at the same time as the student loan.
3. Started to track my Net Worth each month. Watching the numbers climb is addicting. Debt reduction and savings really do start to add up.
4. Maxed our 401K contributions for each of us and get our employer match. This is automated and very simple for both of us. I have had to comb through the investment options and select those with low(er) fees.
5. Looking to accelerate my FI with real estate, specifically buy and hold investments. Hoping to learn from others on their experience. I'm close to taking the leap.
6. Working on being a better person, not just FI. The MMM forum and articles are a piece but also reading and learning from other sources.
7. Actively seeking those with similar mindset and values. I love the "Community" mindset. That can be a challenge for an introvert :)
8. Put the house on a 15 year fixed mortgage 2 years ago. Working to downsize the McMansion which takes gentle persuading of the wife. She loves the neighborhood and schools and kids are close to friends. I can see a way to pay off a smaller house within 5 years but also see her side. This takes compromise and time.
9. Sharing what I learn with my wife. She recently graduated and loves her career. FI isn't just about retirement but a way of living. Hoping we can discuss these principles and the benefit it would bring to our life. She's coming along!
10. Working to reducing our cost of living without feeling deprived. We cut cable years ago and bought 2 Rokus and an HD antenna. Cutting out the DVR was a game changer. The library visits have increase and downloads from our library for audiobooks are very easy and educational.
11. Becoming a fan of Stoicism. Excellent practices that help center my day to day frustrations and put things into perspective.

There's more to list but gives you an idea.

Looking forward to interacting on the forums and following any meetups locally.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 06:42:32 PM by cgreen224 »

notpennysboat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3238 on: April 08, 2017, 02:04:54 AM »
Hi! Heard of MMM for several years, finally jumped in deep along with numerous podcasts and other sites. I've drifted over to FIRE from the travel hacking community. I'm looking to learn more about leveraging taxes during planned unemployment and buy-and-hold rental properties as a FIRE strategy.

Currently, we have ZERO income (am I doing it right?) I'm 31, partner is 32, and in 2016 we quit our jobs to travel. Partner quit consulting (~$135k) and I finished my residency (non-physician) which paid peanuts. We saved for this trip for a few years, along with lots of travel hacking. We're 6.5 months in to a 12-month timeline on this trip. We spend around $2700/month total without much frugality (so this number could be cut quite a bit). We have no debt, no home, almost no stuff, ~$100k in various retirement accts, and around $15,000 in our "return home fund" for when trip money runs out. We are also able to move anywhere that will have us.

I'm currently looking to find ways to generate income from the road so we don't have to go back to typical 9-8 jobs/settle life, but in the meantime, I'm wondering about any tax opportunities to leverage should we still have little to no income in 2017. Also, I'll be digging further into the real estate threads to decipher if rental properties are right for me! (And maybe if there's some overlap between tax opportunities and real estate!)

Excited to join a supportive community!

josiah44

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3239 on: April 09, 2017, 12:43:00 PM »
Hey everybody.  Ran across MMM while looking for financially like-minded individuals with advice on generating passive income.  Only spent a few days in the forum thus far, and I'm inspired.

Me: 32, Software Product Manager
Fam: Married (10 years) with a 2 yr. old
Debt: 72k left on the mortgage & never had credit, student, or auto loans
NW:  Right at 100k w/o home equity, ~450k w/ home equity

Gonna head over to the 100 to 250k race thread to get started.  See you out there!

sleepyjen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3240 on: April 10, 2017, 08:01:54 AM »
Hello, my name is Jen and I'm a new Mustachian. We've been recording our expenses this year and it turns out our financial drain, despite my rhetoric, is me, so I'm here to learn.

Ninjasandpancakes

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3241 on: April 10, 2017, 12:07:11 PM »
Hello! Like many, I'm a long time reader but new to the forums. My partner and I both have natural Mustachian tendencies, but still have a lot to learn and a long ways to go.

We are in our late 20's and have a 7-month old. No debt except mortgage (275K left) and we have about 150K in our various accounts.

One of us will stay at home with our little one for at least the next 5 years, which will cut our previous take home pay in half, as we have comparable salaries. (Will receive EI to supplement our lost income until August, thanks to Canadian parental leave). Looking at ways to further reduce our cost of living so we can save a higher percentage moving forwards.

Most of our savings are currently with an asset management company with very high MERs, so my immediate focus is learning how to invest on my own (looking into Questrade).

It's good to be here and I'm looking forward to interacting on forums.

gex

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3242 on: April 11, 2017, 10:53:24 PM »
Hi there,
Long time reader, finally decided to join the forum. MMM posts have helped me tremendously, so I thought it's time to get move involved in the community.

ExpatChina

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3243 on: April 12, 2017, 08:57:37 AM »
Mustachians, I'm sending sincere and heartfelt gratitude your way. I almost got caught up in an ILAS scheme through deVere and RL360. Your experience (and the math behind it!) saved me from 20 long years of watching my hard earned money drain away.

My wife and I are American, living in Shanghai, China for the past five years. We save 65% of our combined annual salary and intend to use the information available here to pursue FI in the next 20 years or less.

We are currently looking into the best way to begin investing from China. I'm leaning towards Charles Schwab International Brokerage and their commission free ETF's. Though I'd love to hear your opinion.

If there are other Shanghai Mustachians out there, I would greatly enjoy hearing about your FI journey and the strategy you've learned along the way.

divinejayku

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3244 on: April 13, 2017, 01:06:17 PM »
Hello! Thirty-three year old husband and father. My wife and I have a nine month old daughter and I stumbled across the forum in search of a new career. I'll post more about that in another section.

s_17

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3245 on: April 13, 2017, 03:13:17 PM »
Hey there!

I've been reading MMM for a few years now but finally decided the check out the forum as well. Totally hooked already!

I'm in my early 30s and live in one of the Nordic countries. I think I've done my fair share of travel for a while (having lived in six different countries and visited a bunch of places), so looking for a more balanced/relaxed life back home at the moment. I used to be very ambitious professionally speaking, but I'm not so sure about that anymore. I suppose there are other things to life than work ;)

Great to be here!

EMMoneY

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3246 on: April 13, 2017, 04:32:17 PM »
Hi : )

Found the MMM site last week, have read nearly non-stop for days!

I'm 50, have been an at-home mom for 14 years (had my first kid at 34), first a WAHM then 2 yrs later became a SAHM, have 2 kids (almost 16 - eek! - and 12), a hubby (40) and a dog (1).

Fiscally we aren't in the worst condition, but there's massive room for improvement.  First thing to do is get rid of the approx $6K of consumer racked up for what at the time seemed like good reasons.  Should have it wiped out by the end of July. 

Time to go read around here, too. 

Andy90

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3247 on: April 15, 2017, 03:16:19 AM »
Hi everyone!

Long time lurker on these forums and have been following MMM since last year.

I'm 27 from Sydney Australia and have not long started my path to FIRE. I'm at home with the parents making the most of it as Sydney is expensive. Housing market is up the tube for a first home buyer. 12 times average wage I heard lately..

Any who I'm looking to change careers to move to Brisbane to be with my SO soon and look forward to the lower cost of living for even more frugality.

Currently saving and investing in ETF's, no debts but I did buy a clown car a few years back which is now paid off *slaps younger self*.

Currently just starting to sell old games on Ebay as a side gig. Trying to save 66% of my income. Its been kind of fun culling out all the clutter in the finances.

Happy to be a part of the community and to continue learning from all the wonderful people here!

Cheers!

Dina

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3248 on: April 15, 2017, 05:54:14 AM »
Hello everyone. I had been a long time reader of the blog and thought it would be fun to be on the forum with likeminded people from all over the world.
We (me, husband and now 4 kids) moved to Norway in 2014. It set us back financially to zero but we desperately wanted to live here and there has not been a day we have regret it.
Now life has gone -relatively- back to normal it is time to build something up again. We can live frugal & minimalist rather well and I am happy to see my bank account grow again.
We can not get a mortgage here, so we rent. Rather expensive but without any worries about marketvalue, rotting wood and painting when we actually want to make a trip with our little boat (summer is not so long here). So it is pretty much perfect :)

nick663

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3249 on: April 15, 2017, 03:38:31 PM »
Hi Everyone, my name is Nick.  Early 30s with an engineering title in a lower cost of living area.  Always been pretty frugal and DIY but haven't been managing finances as closely as I would have liked the last few years (we've been saving ~20k/year and living debt free outside of mortgage but we could be saving a lot more).

Always been aware of MMM but never joined.  Pretty much everything in my life has changed in the last year (employer, location, etc) so with that I am deciding to spend more time surrounding myself with people that can get me to my ultimate goal of financial independence sooner.  Look forward to contributing and learning.