Author Topic: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself  (Read 3315959 times)

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself
« Reply #3150 on: March 02, 2017, 06:39:43 PM »
Long time lurker, first time poster. Just wanted to introduce myself and invite everyone to follow my journey on the Journals sub-forum: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/whitetrashcash's-journey-from-the-trailer-park-to-wealth-and-happiness/

SomatoseVisions

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3151 on: March 02, 2017, 06:55:36 PM »
Hello all,

Like many, I've been a long time lurker of the forum / blog and have implemented many of the practical ideas I've found here. My coworkers have recently taken notice of the oatmeal backup lunches in my cube and my jaunts to the library over lunch (I got some serious side eye for leafing through The Tightwad Gazette while waiting for my bus last week). When others inquire about my mustachian habits I find I'm overjoyed to talk about this community so I thought I'd finally join.

Epor

• Stubble
  • One day at the time
« Reply #3152 on: March 03, 2017, 03:46:09 PM »

Hello; I always been responsible with money (just the basic do not spend more than you have), I had no clue about investments. To me it seemed something only a millionaire would do, not ordinary folks. Took me a long time, but I learned a lot and started saving more in 2014. I'm doing better but I have tons of room to grow.

I'm married with 2 kids, and a husband that could be better at money management; I must confess sometimes I am resentful of his behavior. (ex: having an iphone with a 80$/mo bill, having a whole life policy on our son, not having 1c on 401k, etc). I will read more on how to get him involved.

You have a great community, I'm looking forward to learn more about your journey.

michaelotal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3153 on: March 04, 2017, 09:25:31 AM »
Hi, I´m Andrew, living and working in Barcelona, Spain. If there are any mustachians residing or visiting here, I would be pleased to meet up and have a chinwag. All the best.

aaahhrealmarcus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Declutter. Decommodify. Denerdify.
    • Minimally Nerdy
« Reply #3154 on: March 04, 2017, 04:38:29 PM »
Yo, aaahhrealmarcus here!

Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm an 80's/90's nerd (as you might have guessed from the name) currently working for the feds. I've always been frugal, but didn't get serious about FIRE until last year.

Long story short, I was a BIG TIME collector of just about anything geeky... toys, video games, anime, you name it. About 3 years ago I got a wild hair to quit my job and spend 6 months thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail! To say that was a life-changing experience is putting it mildly. 2,100 miles later and I was ready to give up (most of) my worldly possessions. So far I've made $25k+ off that collection.

After coming back from Burning Man last year I realized I should start a blog to share my story and the things I've learned by beating my addiction to "stuff," but I'll try not to spam about it. Also recently started posting on the Rockstar Finance forums, which seems like another great community. We're all in this together!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 04:40:05 PM by aaahhrealmarcus »

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #3155 on: March 04, 2017, 04:46:54 PM »
About 3 years ago I got a wild hair to quit my job and spend 6 months thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail! To say that was a life-changing experience is putting it mildly. 2,100 miles later and I was ready to give up (most of) my worldly possessions.

Anyone who can do the AT and then summit Mt Katahdin in a Star Fleet uniform is good in my book ;-)

Live long and prosper aaahhrealmarcus!

exmaxian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3156 on: March 05, 2017, 10:00:34 PM »
Hi. I'm Max, and I'm really too embarrassed to say anything much about myself in terms of my current financial situation. I have a very difficult time processing any knowledge relating to money. In other words, I seem incapable of learning how to manage money and I get physically uncomfortable when I sit down and try to learn about money.  Right now, I'm shaking. I clearly have some very core issues. I used to be involved, before I got married, with women who were high-earners so I never really needed to think much about finances from a survival point of view. God made sure, though, that I marry a woman who is less informed about money than I am; and she had no career. I had to take on a new career and I have been the sole earner. I'm grateful for what we do have, but over the past 14 years of our marriage, I'd have hoped to have risen a bit more assertively to the challenge of being responsible with money. Our oft-touted mantra is, 'We're not extravagant." And indeed, we don't indulge in any luxury at all. Hardly ever have vacations but for a few days away at a hotel. Our money goes to basics and shelter, which in our zip code, is about 40% income or higher for middle income folks.  Anyway, it's late in the game for me, but I'm going to try.

twistedfirestarter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3157 on: March 07, 2017, 10:02:38 AM »
Hi all, what a great forum, wish I found it years ago.

I'm from the UK and have always had some frugal tendencies and the knowledge that my wife and I wanted to retire before getting was too old to enjoy it but before finding out about FIRE I hadn't managed to join the dots.

Now I feel we have an achievable goal and have reorganised spending to save ~60% of our income to put into index trackers (not yet set up)

Considering remortgaging to release some of the equity in our house to make a decent start in our investing but this may be a tough sell with my wife as we've been working hard to pay it down.

Really excited about the possibility of FI before reaching 40 and think it'll be a lot easier being a member of this community.

squirrel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3158 on: March 07, 2017, 03:47:06 PM »
Hi everyone! I am in my late 30s and live in the UK, I have lurked here a little while but have been reading MMM for a couple of years now.
Today I am celebrating the end of a hair-on-fire car loan that is now repaid, and now I'm looking forward to growing my 'stache and reducing my mortgage.
I hope to reach FIRE by the time I'm 50, it may sound late but I truly love my job. There is a high rate of early burnout in my industry and some old disgruntled folks who are trapped too, so being able to go when I'm ready is very important to me.
Glad to be taking first steps into mustachianism!

~Squirrel

JL4M

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3159 on: March 07, 2017, 07:32:41 PM »
Hi, my names Jerry and I'm a recovering consumerist. Found MMM a few weeks ago via Tim Ferriss and once I started reading the blog posts I couldn't stop. I actually come from the Dave Ramsey crowd and am looking to take things to the next level. I never would've dreamed you could do what folks are doing on this forum. I thought being debt free except the house and waiting to retire was radical! My next post will be in the case study forum to get some input for a 51 year old father of four. One in college, two in HS and one in elementary. Yeehaw!

alison_peta

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3160 on: March 08, 2017, 03:48:11 PM »
I have always struggled to accept typical financial scenarios and expectations.  What a relief to find this community and feel assured that it is absolutely okay to want to be FI! I get blank stares from many of my friends when I try to explain this to them.  I am looking forward to mapping my financial future, charting my progress, and learning a lot along the way.

Joeko

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3161 on: March 09, 2017, 10:10:40 AM »
Hi All,

Late starter to FIRE and minimalism.  I'm 54 and a recovering consumer addict.  I only started on my path to recovery well into my late 40s.  Paid off my "Huge" debt, left a 9 to 5 job for the life of contracting.  The beauty of being self employed is the Self Employed 401k, allowed me to catch-up.

I now have 700K in retirement savings and 1M in Worth

Planning on retired in 3-5 years, better late than never.  Your never to old to start

MakeDemDollars

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3162 on: March 09, 2017, 10:19:03 PM »
Hi All,

Been lurking but finally figured out the questions needed to register. Thanks Google.

In my mid 40's and was lucky to live as if I was retired for the past 10 thanks to internet properties. That's still doing Ok but not stable long term. Will be hunting thru the archives here and maybe asking some questions. Hopefully I will be able to contribute as well.

jballreno

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3163 on: March 10, 2017, 11:07:57 AM »
44/male/western United States, working as an agency creative copywriter (formerly a low-paid newspaper editor). Wife, two teenage boys, house paid for, kids' college completely saved for, retirement well on track. Only debt is a stupid car payment, which I'm knocking out before October this year and never, ever, ever going back to again. I'll drive my Subaru until the wheels fall off.

Right now, saving exactly 48% of income, but that'll jump closer to 75% once the kids are out of the house. Plan to be FI/RE by January 2023, at age 49. Can't imagine not working or doing something productive, but it'll be wonderful not to be a slave to the Monday morning alarm clock. Seriously, f--- that thing.

BJacks

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3164 on: March 10, 2017, 12:57:53 PM »
Hello All!

I found ya'll via YNAB, which I've been using for a little over a year. First year I was focused on staying on budget/paying off debt and now I'm trying to focus on building up savings and learning more about investing.

I am married to a man who doesn't quite get it but is coming around and we have two girls who are one and three. Working around his 'needs' when it comes to vehicles is one of my biggest challenges.

I'm retiring at 44 when we pay off our rental unless I talk him into letting me become a SAHM first.

Smulder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3165 on: March 10, 2017, 09:45:19 PM »
Hi I'm Sarah-

I heard about MMM on a podcast and have been obsessively reading blogs for a few weeks now. I'm very excited to be on this journey with all of you!

AccidentialMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3166 on: March 11, 2017, 01:07:49 PM »
Oh hai!

Been reading the blog for a long while and lurked in the forums some.

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #3167 on: March 11, 2017, 01:41:54 PM »
Hi, Better Late here.

DH and I live in the midwest.  I think of us as reformed spendypants, but in reality we still have a lot of cost-cutting to do. That said, we've ditched over $500K of debt in the last few years, so we're making progress toward FI/RE.  Participating in this forum helps keep me on the narrow path, as it is very easy for me to justify purchases and expenditures. We have kids in college and we are paying those costs with savings and cash flow, which is taking a toll on our retirement savings rate, but we are learning everything we can here in order to optimize the savings opportunities that we do have.

Brother Esau

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3168 on: March 12, 2017, 12:49:38 PM »
Hello! The DW and I discovered MMM a few months ago and just wanted to say thank you to everyone for the insightful and informational posts. It made us realize that FIRE is really possible which is an incredible feeling. Thanks!

rasterra

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3169 on: March 12, 2017, 07:34:27 PM »
Hello, I'm Scott! Brand new to the forum and recently, within the past 2 months, learned about MMM through YouTube. I'm 42, going through a major life change divorcing, and will know better where I stand once the dust settles. I am elated that there's a community of brilliant people to learn from and hopefully bond with here. I guess I'm a latebloomer but want to retire within 10 years when my son turns 18.

ktabbs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3170 on: March 15, 2017, 10:19:53 AM »
Hi, I'm Kate!

I'm a mid/late 20s grad student in ecology/climate studies (in Louisiana currently) and started reading about personal finance about a year ago, when I realized meager grad student stipends are more manageable with a major frugal lifestyle change. No plans for early retirement, since I love my field, but I want to at least be debt-free with enough freedom to be picky about jobs and locations.

It's been so nice to read thoughts from like-minded folks!

sovereign

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3171 on: March 16, 2017, 08:08:03 PM »
Hello MMM community.  I'm David.

I just discovered MMM on YouTube last week (WDS 2016).  Since then I've been reading blog posts and exploring the world of FI.  Looking forward to assimilating as much knowledge as possible here.

I thought my savings/investment rate of 35% last year was pretty good, but now I feel like a bit of a piker.  Shooting for 50%-60% this year.

scottoftheantipodes

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3172 on: March 17, 2017, 05:10:07 AM »
Dear Mustachians,

So I have been reading the blog for a while and hearing about this forum all of the time, and then today I noticed the forum icon at the top.

I got so swept up in catching up that I completely missed it, now I have so much more to catch up on.

I am 44 and I consider myself to be semi-retired. I was medically discharged from the Army after 23 years and now I am pensioned off. I am also the stay-home-dad of our 3 kids (11 yr girl, 7 yr boy, 3 yr girl).

I am planning on applying Mustachian principals to work toward becoming financially independant of my pension, or at least getting rid of my debt to free up more of my pension for living life!

Kind regards,

Scott

jordanread

« Reply #3173 on: March 17, 2017, 07:22:03 AM »
Dear Mustachians,

So I have been reading the blog for a while and hearing about this forum all of the time, and then today I noticed the forum icon at the top.

I got so swept up in catching up that I completely missed it, now I have so much more to catch up on.

I am 44 and I consider myself to be semi-retired. I was medically discharged from the Army after 23 years and now I am pensioned off. I am also the stay-home-dad of our 3 kids (11 yr girl, 7 yr boy, 3 yr girl).

I am planning on applying Mustachian principals to work toward becoming financially independant of my pension, or at least getting rid of my debt to free up more of my pension for living life!

Kind regards,

Scott

Welcome. Find Nords. He is the military related badass around these parts.

ishoutedmyjoy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3174 on: March 17, 2017, 08:57:02 AM »
howdy, I'm Evan
I live in rural GA. I've been reading up on the blog the last 6-8 months and just diving deeper with the forums.
My wife and i both work in non-profit. Still over a decade before FI but in the past 4 months have been able to save close to 50% of our earnings.
I wanted to say thanks to everyone for sharing their expertise.
There are so many great ideas or deeply researched opinions. I really appreciate it.
Thanks!

Silkspin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3175 on: March 17, 2017, 12:29:06 PM »
Hello, I've only recently come across the blog, and of course ate it up in a few sittings! I guess I can call myself a semi-quasi-seasaw mustachian for many years. Done some things right and some things very wrong.

In brief: The book The credit diet shook me out of a terrible sleep, where hubby and I graduated University, got married ($$$), got stuck abroad in 911 ($$$) had school loans ($$$), even though we had decent entry-level jobs. Debt was killing us. That book saved me, got me out from under 20k in debt by giving up our apt, moving in with in-laws for 2 years, and then we borrowed against our rrsps for our first home.

Moved to a cheaper (my home) city when my daughter was born. Lots of ups and downs that I won't go into, but cost of living better. The credit diet references Your Money or your Life, and I accidentally came across it at a used bookstore for $2. Although debts not as high as before, it had crept up (setbacks related to moving cities and selling the house when the market crashed in 08 - talk about bad timing for our move!), and this book woke me up too, and we changed many habits. So now, with MMM, I'm due for round 3 obsession!

I look forward to seeing my progress by eating up more of MMM and the forum. We are not in a bad place, but we can get a lot better!

starjay

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3176 on: March 17, 2017, 01:27:24 PM »
Hello, fine people of Mustache Land. I've been lurking, but decided to register and post in order to join one of the "Race to" threads. I've just started tracking my net worth this year, so was I pretty excited to be able to participate.

I was extravagantly dumb re: use of credit and finances in general in my mid/late 20s, so but started the journey to debt-free a few years ago, and I'll be out from under the credit cards by the end of summer, and should be out from under the student loans by this time next year. I'll probably have no idea what to do with myself at that point. I'll have to find a new financial focus (like...saving 6 months living expenses!)

Fortunately, even though I was an idiot with credit, I've had a 401(k) since I started working full-time in my early 20s, so I'm not starting completely from zero when it comes to retirement funds. I'm just starting from farther behind than I'd like to be. But! I'm making progress, and I'm content with that for now.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #3177 on: March 17, 2017, 10:59:39 PM »
Dear Mustachians,

Kind regards,

Scott

Welcome. Find Nords. He is the military related badass around these parts.
Thanks, Jordanread!

Welcome, Scott.  I see Townsville in your profile.  Rather than asking a U.S. military retiree your questions about Australian military benefits, you could contact fellow Australian military retiree Ozstache (https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/profile/?u=2174) with questions.  He knows far more about that than I'll ever probably learn.

hashbrowns

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3178 on: March 18, 2017, 11:25:52 AM »
Hi everyone!
I'm 31, have been a mechanic for the past decade, and decided that I need to go back to school to become an engineer. So I picked up a nice life in Hawaii, and moved to rainy Portland.
I've always been pretty frugal. Spending money always kills me. I became a mechanic because I couldn't afford to pay someone to fix my broken car!
I want to become an engineer because I've thought it was a cool career since I was little. A decent pay check is just frosting.
So this whole life change lately has me all shaken up, and I'm trying to figure out how to survive without being completely gutted in the process.
Thanks for the community, I've learned so much already!

homeontheloose

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Home On The Loose
« Reply #3179 on: March 19, 2017, 12:01:35 AM »
Hello Mustachians!
I'm a late-comer to financial awareness and have been crushing through the blog.
I am a husband, father, climber and teacher in Lafayette, Colorado.

Looking forward to learning with you all.
Thanks!
Jim

smaze

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3180 on: March 19, 2017, 07:25:48 AM »
Hi! I'm a 32 year old physical therapist. For those who don't know, it's a great profession but students typically incur large amounts of student debt. I am one of those people - graduated in 2014 with a whopping $92K in debt at 5.15%-7.9% interest. I didn't like that at all, especially once I calculated the $520 monthly aka $16 daily interest. Not fun.

On the plus side, these numbers and their effect on me helped me to understand money in a new way. I didn't want to be a slave to it any longer than I had to.

I would often describe my loan repayment strategy as "pathological", as I try to put at least $2000 a month towards these loans on a 60K salary. Often people call me crazy. But now 2.5 years later I'm down to $28,000 in principle and $10,000 saved in retirement. I'm still in the hole, but it feels nice to be near the surface.

I stumbled upon this site just recently while researching financial strategies online, and I find the mindset here to be quite refreshing and inspiring. I feel I could learn a thing or two here from like minded people. I thought my strategy was extreme, but I suppose it is all relative! If anyone ever wants to talk about student loans feel free to ask me.

stwicky

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3181 on: March 20, 2017, 05:56:00 AM »
Hello everyone.  I am an engineer living and working in the middle east for the last dozen years.  The life has been good to us and we are approaching retirement.  As a matter of fact, my wife retired last week at 58.  Not too early relative to some of the people on the forum but, nonetheless.  I am 52 and trying to plan our escape. 

I need some advice as well.  Where can I post our particulars and some questions?

Cheers and thanks for this website.

jordanread

« Reply #3182 on: March 20, 2017, 06:08:40 AM »
Hello everyone.  I am an engineer living and working in the middle east for the last dozen years.  The life has been good to us and we are approaching retirement.  As a matter of fact, my wife retired last week at 58.  Not too early relative to some of the people on the forum but, nonetheless.  I am 52 and trying to plan our escape. 

I need some advice as well.  Where can I post our particulars and some questions?

Cheers and thanks for this website.

Try the Ask-A-Mustachian section.

rebel_quietude

• Stubble
« Reply #3183 on: March 20, 2017, 10:00:22 AM »
Hi folks! I'm a longtime lurker, which in retrospect is pretty creepy . . . discovered MMM in 2012 and I've been chugging along ever since. I need some motivation nowadays - work dominates life and perspective is a necessity.

Looking forward to chatting with you all!

DrumAllDay

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3184 on: March 21, 2017, 10:59:46 AM »
Hi everyone. I am 24 years old, I have a steady job in the trades as well as a few side hustle gigs, and have a bunch of other interests that include music, exercise, outdoors, DIY projects, and of course, frugal living. Here is my story:

I discovered MMM several months ago. I have read all of his posts and this way of living has already greatly impacted my life. One day I decided to check out the forum and I was amazed at the community that is here! I look forward to learning more and hopefully sharing anything that can be useful. I am also interested in meeting other 20 somethings who are interested in this lifestyle. I feel like not many people in this age group think about living frugal yet full lives.

Feels good to finally be a part of this!

LostGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #3185 on: March 21, 2017, 02:23:11 PM »
Hi!

Been reading the blog for about 6 months and finally meandered over here. I'm 38, and have naturally frugal tendencies but they've been kicked into overdrive lately.  I would love to quit my job to be a SAHM and explore other passions and career options.  We live in the SF Bay Area so I don't think I can completely disappear from the workforce but I'd like the space to find something I'm passionate about.

I work in construction now and its grueling. Plus my husband has supported my career for my entire career and its time for him to get a chance to shine.  I have an almost 2 & 5 year old.

The heartburn is that we can't live off DH's income (in this area) and I make about 40% more than him. We could live off my income but that holds no appeal for either of us.  We are working our way through this decision and understanding what we can cut and maintain a quality of life is really helped by the blog and forum. Thanks for all the info and support folks!

Dmash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3186 on: March 21, 2017, 03:03:40 PM »
Hello Mustachians,

My name is David.  I've been reading the blog for about a month and 1/2 now and started from the beginning, so I'm currently in June 2013.  As a working musician in NYC I've learned how to live frugally over the years, but this blog is helping me see things in a whole new light.  I no longer feel bad about myself for living frugally.  The MMM family and all you badasses are reframing what it means to be frugal and free.  Thank you all, I'm honored to be here and am looking forward to reaching new heights. 

Chickwit

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3187 on: March 21, 2017, 07:27:45 PM »
Greetings,

I'm new to this blog and stumbled across MMM by accident.

What a great accident! I've been reading blog posts and listening to podcasts for a couple of weeks. Such a goldmine here and I'm sure I'll be spending many more hours absorbing life changing information.

I've been a fan of Dave Ramsey and some others over the years. Growing up with my Grandparents instilled a sense of frugality from a young age. Though I haven't been as wise as I'd like. So it's a new year and I'm looking to get my ducks in a row.

See you around the forums,
Chickwit

G-Cool

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3188 on: March 22, 2017, 08:08:49 AM »
Hi everyone,

I discovered MMM in August 2015 and I’ve been a regular reader since. I’m a 36 year old engineer living with my girlfriend and 1 year old son in Montréal, Québec, Canada.

I recently quit my job as a project manager because I want to work in finance since I finished my MBA in 2015. I realized that I needed to do full-time job searching, since I wasn’t good trying to do it part-time, especially because it involves a career change. It wasn’t an easy decision, since it pushes back my FIRE date. But I’ve been unhappy at work for so long that I figured it is well worth a shot. And thanks to our frugal habits, I have plenty of FU money to finance this project!

Anyway, thanks to all of you for contributing to this amazing forum! Looking forward to contribute.

TheBrandon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3189 on: March 22, 2017, 12:48:53 PM »
Hi everyone,

I’m Brandon. I live in Washington State.

Just joined MMM forums after being away from the site for a few years.

Quick rundown:

I Quit my consulting work about 3 years ago and moved in with family to cut my overhead down while working on becoming truly FI.

I've got a small business in costume fabrication that creates some passive income on top of doing commission work.

I've written some book summaries that generates some passive income.

I just re-read YMOYL and realized I was still putting the cart before the horse. So I'm re-assessing everything at the moment!

Petey B

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3190 on: March 23, 2017, 03:20:56 PM »
Hello there friends and fellow Mustachians,

My name is Peter, I'm 29 and from Northern Virginia, about thirty miles west of Washington, DC.  A longtime forum "lurker," I've finally conjured up the cajones to join in the conversation...!  Looking forward to meeting and collaborating with all the interesting, intelligent folks who frequent this forum.  Cheers!

- Petey B

ozmickey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3191 on: March 25, 2017, 03:14:07 AM »
Hello everyone,

My DH and I recently bought our first home together! We have had some tough financial times after I emigrated to marry my Aussie.

I am looking for ideas to help get the house paid off (no tax deduction for mortgage interest here) and get some savings/passive income before retiring.

Peruapartment

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3192 on: March 25, 2017, 04:13:32 AM »
Hi everyone i am stuart

1967Goat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3193 on: March 25, 2017, 04:53:39 PM »
Hi everyone..

Been lurking for quite a while and finally decided to register.  I live about an hour from Longmont, CO in Conifer, CO and have relatives who live just north of Longmont, in Berthoud and Loveland.  Wife and I both work and puts TONS of money into our 401k.  We have 2 boys, 5 & 6.  Re-fi'd to a 20 year fixed mortgage @ 3.875% 5 years ago, so we have 15 years left on our mortgage.  I should be able to retire at 58 in 15 years when the house is paid off.

My undergrad is in Finance and Economics from Colorado State Univ (CSU), 1997.  I consider myself thrifty, but certainly not cheap.  Moved to CO from NJ in 1995 to attend CSU when I was 21.  Never looked back.

Looking forward to being a contributing member of the forum!

shouldifi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Should I FI?
« Reply #3194 on: March 27, 2017, 05:49:22 AM »
Hello everyone I'm Mr. Sifi! I've just entered the blogosphere with my new site Should I FI?1 I'm a 30 year old family man with a wife and two little ones. I'm relatively new to the FI community and one of the main reason that I started a new blog was because I've had a hard time relating to any of the big FI blogs out there. Being able to relate is a key to learning and I'm hoping that there are some folks out there that can relate to my family's journey.

I'm not FI and not really close at this stage in my life. With that said, I love the concept of Financial Independence, however I'm not sure this is the right time in our lives to go all in. Right now we're doing the opposite of hustling because our little ones are both under the age of two. After crunching the numbers, we could probably reach FI in 12-15 years if we buckled-down, but as you can tell from the title of my blog, we're not really sure that is what we want. Spending time with our little ones while they are young is the most important thing to us.

I'm going to spend a lot of time examining some of the common practices for reaching FI and try to apply them to my life to see if they are attainable with little impact. The concept of FI is all about deferred gratification, however, in our opinion, the most important time in our lives is right now! We could do something like downsize/downgrade our house to have a lower mortgage in order to up our savings rate but we're actually in the process of doing the opposite. One of our dreams is to build a home that our children will grow up in! Will this set us back in our journey to FI? Definitely! Do we care? Not really!

I'm excited to get to know everyone here and to contribute to all of the interesting conversations going on in the personal finance realm! I hope you enjoy my contributions and I hope you visit my site sometime.

BGordon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3195 on: March 27, 2017, 08:41:05 PM »
Hello Everyone,

My name is Ben and I am 49 years old.  Found this forum a few days ago when I decided I needed to get serious about retirement planning.  In the process of trying to determine exactly how much I will need and how long it will take to get there.  Very interested in seeing what other people's thoughts are regarding investment strategies and expected returns (both before and during retirement).
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 10:29:58 AM by BGordon »

BeardedBellyBastard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3196 on: March 27, 2017, 10:48:53 PM »
Hello! Thank you Mr Money Mustache and friends. My dumb ass spent way too much money on shit I don't need. This website has been a good kick in the ass reminder to work for myself and stop being a slave to useless shit.
I spent my youth doing cool things though and do not regret those experiences. I have spent this last year climbing out of credit card debt. I will pay these off in the next 2 months!! My used car will be paid off in 10 more months. After that I can get cracking at this retirement plan and hopefully end up on a beach doings back flips.

Yeeee
Lets save some $$$ B1Tc4es
(apologies if this offends anyone I am a bit of a bastard at times)

TentacleFlatbread

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3197 on: March 28, 2017, 09:05:55 AM »
Hi!  I'm Flatbread.

I'm a 26-yo choir teacher trying to figure out if FIRE is possible with my terrible, mandatory retirement plan, and what to do if it isn't.

firescape

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3198 on: March 29, 2017, 07:34:37 PM »
Hi,
I'm new to MMM but think it's pretty inspiring.
I'm trying to figure out what to do with my current situation. Stay with one of the big, front loaded mutual fund pushing firms that now want to limit my investment choices and charge me more for the favor, or quit them altogether and go with Vanguard or Betterment or something else.
I should keep reading.....

FIREy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3199 on: March 31, 2017, 02:11:04 PM »
Hi. I was introduced to MMM on FIRE / frugal inspired podcasts. I've been exploring the website and forum and have found a lot of inspiring posts and ideas. I read The Millionaire Next Door years ago, and have a decidedly piggy bank like nature. My husband and I live in NYC where we have been able to consistently save well more than half our income. We're at a point where we are close to pulling the trigger and retiring early to a sunnier and more LCOL area.   :)
I look forward to learning from everyone on the forum.