Author Topic: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself  (Read 638639 times)

Spade pot

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Who's the king of your satilite castle?
Re: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself
« Reply #3150 on: February 15, 2017, 05:22:52 PM »
Greetings,
Have been reading and taking advise from this forum for a couple of years and feel compelled to start giving back a little. Our family of three here in South Florida have made many significant lifestyle changes and much better decisions thanks to the people who post on this site. Thank you to all who have shared vital information about there lives and situations. I look forward to posting questions, answers and comments here in the future.

SwitchValor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3151 on: February 15, 2017, 08:10:06 PM »
Hey everyone! I'm a 26 year old artist/model/actor who's new to the world of financial literacy and independence.

I've studied entrepreneurship for the past 3 years and have had some successes, but I realize that in order to truly free myself from having to create art for others I'll have to find a way to retire and fund my own projects.

I'm reading "Your Money or your Life" and doing my best not to blame or shame myself for not starting to save earlier, but I know that as I increase my earning ability and flex my frugal muscles, I'll be in a better place.

Looking forward to learning and contributing what I can!

Quimby

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3152 on: February 15, 2017, 11:50:59 PM »
Hi! I started reading the MMM blog two months ago and have enjoyed! Sent an article to my aunt today.

Shook my friends hand that I would try biking this year. Seems a pastime for mustachians so a relevant share/intro.

Thrilled to be here! What a cool forum.

Octotat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3153 on: February 16, 2017, 11:57:34 AM »
Hi, I'm Octotat and just found this site today and spent half the day reading it.  I feel like I've found my people!!!!!    I'm 50, no debt, paid off house, stacked 401, solid savings and planning to early retire by Christmas of this year!

Not Your Monkey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3154 on: February 16, 2017, 09:00:03 PM »
Hi!  I've been casually lurking for the last couple months but got hooked when I found the Epic FU money thread last week. Finished reading every single post in that thread today.  Love this community!  I also feel like I have finally found my people!

CanuckExpat

• Handlebar Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #3155 on: February 17, 2017, 06:25:53 PM »
Hi, I'm Octotat and just found this site today and spent half the day reading it.  I feel like I've found my people!!!!!    I'm 50, no debt, paid off house, stacked 401, solid savings and planning to early retire by Christmas of this year!

Congratulations! Here is a thread full of other people retiring in 2017: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/throw-down-the-gauntlet/target-fire-2017/
Was targetting Freedom35 but ended up retiring a couple years early. Currently Based in Buffalo for the summer.

OthalaFehu

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • OthalaFehu
« Reply #3156 on: February 18, 2017, 09:53:39 PM »
Hi Everybody, I am back after getting banned for spamming, sorry, I do not really read the rules before I clicked on them.

Now I don't have to cry at night before I go to sleep knowing that everybody in on MMM Forum talking about money without me.

-OthalaFehu (former blogspammer)
One Day a Rains will come and wash away all you see before you, through Othala kept the true. https://othalafehu.wordpress.com

svennman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Old, but not wise
« Reply #3157 on: February 19, 2017, 10:59:39 AM »
Just saying hi. When I gave up my job in London at 25 to go travelling around Australia and Asia I knew I was going to be hopping off the gravy train of a profitable career. I also knew I didn't want to work all hours and travel across London for 90 minutes a day to keep on this gravy train. That was 25 years ago. Unlike MMM I was not a man with a plan. The past 25 years have involved about 3 years working in a conventional job (as a high school iT teacher in the UK), short periods working intensively with IT projects and a lot of time travelling around Asia (about 7 years) or spent in Sweden, where I am currently a student. My mother died a few years ago and I have had time to reflect since then, including about her longtime partner who is just a bit older than me and has earned 40-60 thousand a year for quite a while. He has much, much, much more money set aside than I do for his retirement, but when he recently lost his job he became very concerned that he wouldn't have enough to make ends meet. He has basically worked since he was 16. He is not at all extravagant and is very capable of fixing just about any device (a great person to have around if the world went to pieces and all that was left was different bits of previously working stuff). I wonder if I have been irresponsible with my life, if I had continued at my job I would have contributed a lot of money to the UK GDP (as one of millions in the UK), rather than living frugally and both spending little and buying little, compared to others.

With about 10 years of higher education (bachelors and master's degrees) behind me I wonder if I am going to continue studying. The lifestyle suits me and I cannot think of anything that offers the flexibility to develop yourself that education does (in a safe space). Is a mad idea that anyone that wants to get an education (for whatever reason and not necessarily linked to future employment) should be able to do so?

If everyone that is currently earning $60 thousand and up stopped doing that and started spending a lot less would that be good, solve the climate change problem and result in fluffy bunnies and peace and love worldwide or would it create a meltdown of the western world? If the stock market follows the bank interest etc in a shrinking economy wont MMM ideas of living on the growth of your investment money become invalid?

I hope that this post generates some interesting and helpful comments and not ones that are going to make me afraid to post again ...   

albertoartis

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3158 on: February 21, 2017, 12:42:48 AM »
Hello, My name is Alberto. I was told about this website by my brother who has been learning here for a while now. While I have the marketing skills, everything in the marketing world is going digital and that is where I can help. So here I am, trying to help anyone looking for digital marketing experience. I will probably learn everything here also by the time I'm done. I am so glad this site exists because with I can connect with people all around the world who are looking to make extra cash, so this is perfect! Thanks Mr. Money Mustache.

MoustachePadawan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • @pinoyartista
« Reply #3159 on: February 21, 2017, 02:28:11 AM »
Hi, I'm JB, from the Philippines, living in Barcelona for two years now. I'm trying to make a living with my art (shameless plug: pinoyartista.com) while working a job. Light years away from FI, but I plan to get there before 50.

FreeFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3160 on: February 21, 2017, 10:09:53 AM »
Hi, I'm David and I'm here for the free advice!  Haha really I've been reading the site for a year or two and just got into the forums.  I became a widower at 25 and received a life insurance sum that I had no idea what to do with.  I paid off some debt and eventually invested the rest using an adviser, which was actually a very positive experience, other than the $75/month cost.  They encouraged me to educate myself, but unfortunately it took me 7 years to dump them.

I have since struck out to invest on my own, and I'm glad I did.  I owe a lot to websites like this where people are willing to share advice.  I feel very empowered, and I hope to reach FI within about 15 years (by age 50).

dropspindl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3161 on: February 22, 2017, 01:50:46 PM »
I'm Erica. I've known about MMM for quite a while, but just made an account here. I live in NYC, and am surrounded by people who spend lots of money on frivolous things, so I'd love to meet other people with this lifestyle and am looking forward to some meetups. I'm a nanny, so I don't earn all that much, but I live off about $20k (and feel super extravagant and buy pretty much whatever I feel like), and save about $22k per year. So I save more than I spend, but I got started pretty late. I'm 33 and have only been saving like this for a year and a half.

I'm thinking about doing a programming bootcamp when this job ends so I can raise my earning potential.

My semi retirement plans include some combination of: fixing up a house(s), homesteading, running an AirBnb, maybe having some chickens and sheep, and dog sitting. I really like dogs, and not having a dog while I live in the city has been my biggest sacrifice to saving money.

randomgiraffe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3162 on: February 22, 2017, 08:25:33 PM »
Hi, I found MMM in mid-2015 and it's helped me through some really tough times. I've been on this FI journey since I started working back in 1999 (seriously since 2003/4) but it was only after reading this blog and others that I was able to come up with a plan. I hope MMM and all of you out there contributing know what a difference you're making to others on the journey. Planning to FIRE on Friday June 1, 2018 and finding it difficult to think of anything else.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 08:29:51 PM by randomgiraffe »

Ratherboard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3163 on: February 23, 2017, 12:18:18 AM »
Hi, I'm Toby, 44, in debt and wishing I had seen this blog years ago.  I heard MMM on Tim Ferris' podcast the other day and I've read about 30 articles since then.  I live in friggin' Longmont and I'm just now discovering MMM??  **sigh** Time to put in motion what I've read so far...... off to find a good deal on a used Mazda3. :)

drodol

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3164 on: February 26, 2017, 02:50:23 AM »
Hi, I am Dave. I have been married for almost 10 years now. We have a 6 yo boy and a 1 month-old boy. We are currently living in the middle east. We are free of debt, don't pay for rent/car/kid's school (company provides). I am desperate to put our humble savings to work for us but still feel a bit fearful to put all our eggs in one basket. I am also not American/Canadian, so not sure how -or if at all possible- to start investing in index funds.

sllim

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3165 on: February 26, 2017, 05:14:36 AM »
Hi everyone!  I'm Bob.  I just binge-read every post from MMM over the last week.  Looking forward to meeting like minded folks here in the forum.

Married, 5 kids, and now have a plan to reach FI by 50.

oakvilleman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3166 on: February 26, 2017, 02:21:50 PM »
Hi,

I'm Lee from Oakville, Ontario, Canada. In my late 40s. Did the MMM math and ready to retire this year.

Found out about MMM through Tim Ferriss podcast. Was big fan of "Your Money Or Your Life" book and was way down path of FI before finding MMM. Now I'm even more convinced of retirement due to MMM blog and this forum. I really like how MMM has a higher purpose of reducing consumption in the world and doing work you want to do that makes the world better (like Elon Musk on smaller scale)...but if all MMMers get together then scale is huge!!

NinetyFour

• Magnum Stache
  • 273 days until Freedom!
« Reply #3167 on: February 27, 2017, 07:17:55 AM »
Lee, are you aware of this?

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/ontario%27s-own-camp-mustache-2017/

I believe there are a few spots left.
My Journal

Countdown to Freedom:  273 days

goremet

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3168 on: February 27, 2017, 08:47:50 AM »
Midwestern guy here saying Hello.  My wife and I have our first child on the way, so really pushing now to impart some financial wisdom from day 1 with the baby.  Cooking and quality food are a passion of my wife and I, so its one of our spending areas.  I'm in a great work position, and while I don't anticipate myself jumping ship from that, I'd love to have it as an option.  How we're currently living won't allow for that, so finally getting serious about it.

-goremet

RetirementManifesto

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • The Retirement Manifesto
    • The Retirement Manifesto
« Reply #3169 on: February 28, 2017, 06:18:34 AM »
Hi All!  I'm Fritz from The Retirement Manifesto, where I focus on Helping Others Achieve A Great Retirement!  I'm FIRE'ing in June 2018, and write about it on my blog.  Proud to be a Mustachian!!
I'm retiring in 2018, read about it at The Retirement Manifesto.

InnTee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3170 on: February 28, 2017, 12:54:48 PM »
Hi all! Glad I found this forum and community. I've run across some excellent ideas already!

mrblitz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3171 on: March 01, 2017, 11:29:47 AM »
I'm a lurker for a while.   Nice to meet you all.

I've been living the mmm lifestyle all my life.

Cali Nonya

• Bristles
« Reply #3172 on: March 01, 2017, 12:05:06 PM »
Hello.

I referenced this forum years ago (with a different name), then life happened and I drifted away.
Now I realized it would be nice to chat with sort of like minded people so I'm back.

Alicia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3173 on: March 02, 2017, 04:03:37 PM »
Hi everyone! I discovered this blog about six months ago and it has lit a fire (pun intended) under my ass. Time to stop lurking & engage with the fantastic community here.

-Alicia

WhiteTrashCash

• Bristles
« Reply #3174 on: March 02, 2017, 06:39:43 PM »
Long time lurker, first time poster. Just wanted to introduce myself and invite everyone to follow my journey on the Journals sub-forum: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/whitetrashcash's-journey-from-the-trailer-park-to-wealth-and-happiness/

SomatoseVisions

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3175 on: March 02, 2017, 06:55:36 PM »
Hello all,

Like many, I've been a long time lurker of the forum / blog and have implemented many of the practical ideas I've found here. My coworkers have recently taken notice of the oatmeal backup lunches in my cube and my jaunts to the library over lunch (I got some serious side eye for leafing through The Tightwad Gazette while waiting for my bus last week). When others inquire about my mustachian habits I find I'm overjoyed to talk about this community so I thought I'd finally join.

Eporedia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Just a gal in NW WI
« Reply #3176 on: March 03, 2017, 03:46:09 PM »

Hello; I always been responsible with money (just the basic do not spend more than you have), I had no clue about investments. To me it seemed something only a millionaire would do, not ordinary folks. Took me a long time, but I learned a lot and started saving more in 2014. I'm doing better but I have tons of room to grow.

I'm married with 2 kids, and a husband that could be better at money management; I must confess sometimes I am resentful of his behavior. (ex: having an iphone with a 80$/mo bill, having a whole life policy on our son, not having 1c on 401k, etc). I will read more on how to get him involved.

You have a great community, I'm looking forward to learn more about your journey.

Andrew.scheiner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3177 on: March 04, 2017, 09:25:31 AM »
Hi, Im Andrew, living and working in Barcelona, Spain. If there are any mustachians residing or visiting here, I would be pleased to meet up and have a chinwag. All the best.

aaahhrealmarcus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Declutter. Decommodify. Denerdify.
    • Minimally Nerdy
« Reply #3178 on: March 04, 2017, 04:38:29 PM »
Yo, aaahhrealmarcus here!

Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm an 80's/90's nerd (as you might have guessed from the name) currently working for the feds. I've always been frugal, but didn't get serious about FIRE until last year.

Long story short, I was a BIG TIME collector of just about anything geeky... toys, video games, anime, you name it. About 3 years ago I got a wild hair to quit my job and spend 6 months thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail! To say that was a life-changing experience is putting it mildly. 2,100 miles later and I was ready to give up (most of) my worldly possessions. So far I've made $25k+ off that collection.

After coming back from Burning Man last year I realized I should start a blog to share my story and the things I've learned by beating my addiction to "stuff," but I'll try not to spam about it. Also recently started posting on the Rockstar Finance forums, which seems like another great community. We're all in this together!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 04:40:05 PM by aaahhrealmarcus »
5 Simple Apartment Hacks Behind my $39 Utility Bills http://www.minimallynerdy.com/2017/05/05/39-dollar-utility-bills/

CowboyAndIndian

• Pencil Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #3179 on: March 04, 2017, 04:46:54 PM »
About 3 years ago I got a wild hair to quit my job and spend 6 months thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail! To say that was a life-changing experience is putting it mildly. 2,100 miles later and I was ready to give up (most of) my worldly possessions.

Anyone who can do the AT and then summit Mt Katahdin in a Star Fleet uniform is good in my book ;-)

Live long and prosper aaahhrealmarcus!

exmaxian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3180 on: March 05, 2017, 10:00:34 PM »
Hi. I'm Max, and I'm really too embarrassed to say anything much about myself in terms of my current financial situation. I have a very difficult time processing any knowledge relating to money. In other words, I seem incapable of learning how to manage money and I get physically uncomfortable when I sit down and try to learn about money.  Right now, I'm shaking. I clearly have some very core issues. I used to be involved, before I got married, with women who were high-earners so I never really needed to think much about finances from a survival point of view. God made sure, though, that I marry a woman who is less informed about money than I am; and she had no career. I had to take on a new career and I have been the sole earner. I'm grateful for what we do have, but over the past 14 years of our marriage, I'd have hoped to have risen a bit more assertively to the challenge of being responsible with money. Our oft-touted mantra is, 'We're not extravagant." And indeed, we don't indulge in any luxury at all. Hardly ever have vacations but for a few days away at a hotel. Our money goes to basics and shelter, which in our zip code, is about 40% income or higher for middle income folks.  Anyway, it's late in the game for me, but I'm going to try.

clickhappy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3181 on: March 07, 2017, 10:02:38 AM »
Hi all, what a great forum, wish I found it years ago.

I'm from the UK and have always had some frugal tendencies and the knowledge that my wife and I wanted to retire before getting was too old to enjoy it but before finding out about FIRE I hadn't managed to join the dots.

Now I feel we have an achievable goal and have reorganised spending to save ~60% of our income to put into index trackers (not yet set up)

Considering remortgaging to release some of the equity in our house to make a decent start in our investing but this may be a tough sell with my wife as we've been working hard to pay it down.

Really excited about the possibility of FI before reaching 40 and think it'll be a lot easier being a member of this community.

squirrel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3182 on: March 07, 2017, 03:47:06 PM »
Hi everyone! I am in my late 30s and live in the UK, I have lurked here a little while but have been reading MMM for a couple of years now.
Today I am celebrating the end of a hair-on-fire car loan that is now repaid, and now I'm looking forward to growing my 'stache and reducing my mortgage.
I hope to reach FIRE by the time I'm 50, it may sound late but I truly love my job. There is a high rate of early burnout in my industry and some old disgruntled folks who are trapped too, so being able to go when I'm ready is very important to me.
Glad to be taking first steps into mustachianism!

~Squirrel

JL4M

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3183 on: March 07, 2017, 07:32:41 PM »
Hi, my names Jerry and I'm a recovering consumerist. Found MMM a few weeks ago via Tim Ferriss and once I started reading the blog posts I couldn't stop. I actually come from the Dave Ramsey crowd and am looking to take things to the next level. I never would've dreamed you could do what folks are doing on this forum. I thought being debt free except the house and waiting to retire was radical! My next post will be in the case study forum to get some input for a 51 year old father of four. One in college, two in HS and one in elementary. Yeehaw!

alison_peta

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3184 on: March 08, 2017, 03:48:11 PM »
I have always struggled to accept typical financial scenarios and expectations.  What a relief to find this community and feel assured that it is absolutely okay to want to be FI! I get blank stares from many of my friends when I try to explain this to them.  I am looking forward to mapping my financial future, charting my progress, and learning a lot along the way.

Joeko

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3185 on: March 09, 2017, 10:10:40 AM »
Hi All,

Late starter to FIRE and minimalism.  I'm 54 and a recovering consumer addict.  I only started on my path to recovery well into my late 40s.  Paid off my "Huge" debt, left a 9 to 5 job for the life of contracting.  The beauty of being self employed is the Self Employed 401k, allowed me to catch-up.

I now have 700K in retirement savings and 1M in Worth

Planning on retired in 3-5 years, better late than never.  Your never to old to start

MakeDemDollars

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3186 on: March 09, 2017, 10:19:03 PM »
Hi All,

Been lurking but finally figured out the questions needed to register. Thanks Google.

In my mid 40's and was lucky to live as if I was retired for the past 10 thanks to internet properties. That's still doing Ok but not stable long term. Will be hunting thru the archives here and maybe asking some questions. Hopefully I will be able to contribute as well.

jballreno

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3187 on: March 10, 2017, 11:07:57 AM »
44/male/western United States, working as an agency creative copywriter (formerly a low-paid newspaper editor). Wife, two teenage boys, house paid for, kids' college completely saved for, retirement well on track. Only debt is a stupid car payment, which I'm knocking out before October this year and never, ever, ever going back to again. I'll drive my Subaru until the wheels fall off.

Right now, saving exactly 48% of income, but that'll jump closer to 75% once the kids are out of the house. Plan to be FI/RE by January 2023, at age 49. Can't imagine not working or doing something productive, but it'll be wonderful not to be a slave to the Monday morning alarm clock. Seriously, f--- that thing.

BJacks

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3188 on: March 10, 2017, 12:57:53 PM »
Hello All!

I found ya'll via YNAB, which I've been using for a little over a year. First year I was focused on staying on budget/paying off debt and now I'm trying to focus on building up savings and learning more about investing.

I am married to a man who doesn't quite get it but is coming around and we have two girls who are one and three. Working around his 'needs' when it comes to vehicles is one of my biggest challenges.

I'm retiring at 44 when we pay off our rental unless I talk him into letting me become a SAHM first.

Smulder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3189 on: March 10, 2017, 09:45:19 PM »
Hi I'm Sarah-

I heard about MMM on a podcast and have been obsessively reading blogs for a few weeks now. I'm very excited to be on this journey with all of you!

Sarah G

AccidentialMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3190 on: March 11, 2017, 01:07:49 PM »
Oh hai!

Been reading the blog for a long while and lurked in the forums some.

Better Late

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3191 on: March 11, 2017, 01:41:54 PM »
Hi, Better Late here.

DH and I live in the midwest.  I think of us as reformed spendypants, but in reality we still have a lot of cost-cutting to do. That said, we've ditched over $500K of debt in the last few years, so we're making progress toward FI/RE.  Participating in this forum helps keep me on the narrow path, as it is very easy for me to justify purchases and expenditures. We have kids in college and we are paying those costs with savings and cash flow, which is taking a toll on our retirement savings rate, but we are learning everything we can here in order to optimize the savings opportunities that we do have.

Brother Esau

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3192 on: March 12, 2017, 12:49:38 PM »
Hello! The DW and I discovered MMM a few months ago and just wanted to say thank you to everyone for the insightful and informational posts. It made us realize that FIRE is really possible which is an incredible feeling. Thanks!

rasterra

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3193 on: March 12, 2017, 07:34:27 PM »
Hello, I'm Scott! Brand new to the forum and recently, within the past 2 months, learned about MMM through YouTube. I'm 42, going through a major life change divorcing, and will know better where I stand once the dust settles. I am elated that there's a community of brilliant people to learn from and hopefully bond with here. I guess I'm a latebloomer but want to retire within 10 years when my son turns 18.

ktabbs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3194 on: March 15, 2017, 10:19:53 AM »
Hi, I'm Kate!

I'm a mid/late 20s grad student in ecology/climate studies (in Louisiana currently) and started reading about personal finance about a year ago, when I realized meager grad student stipends are more manageable with a major frugal lifestyle change. No plans for early retirement, since I love my field, but I want to at least be debt-free with enough freedom to be picky about jobs and locations.

It's been so nice to read thoughts from like-minded folks!

sovereign

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3195 on: March 16, 2017, 08:08:03 PM »
Hello MMM community.  I'm David.

I just discovered MMM on YouTube last week (WDS 2016).  Since then I've been reading blog posts and exploring the world of FI.  Looking forward to assimilating as much knowledge as possible here.

I thought my savings/investment rate of 35% last year was pretty good, but now I feel like a bit of a piker.  Shooting for 50%-60% this year.

scottoftheantipodes

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3196 on: March 17, 2017, 05:10:07 AM »
Dear Mustachians,

So I have been reading the blog for a while and hearing about this forum all of the time, and then today I noticed the forum icon at the top.

I got so swept up in catching up that I completely missed it, now I have so much more to catch up on.

I am 44 and I consider myself to be semi-retired. I was medically discharged from the Army after 23 years and now I am pensioned off. I am also the stay-home-dad of our 3 kids (11 yr girl, 7 yr boy, 3 yr girl).

I am planning on applying Mustachian principals to work toward becoming financially independant of my pension, or at least getting rid of my debt to free up more of my pension for living life!

Kind regards,

Scott

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
  • Live Long, Live Free, Drop Dead
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #3197 on: March 17, 2017, 07:22:03 AM »
Dear Mustachians,

So I have been reading the blog for a while and hearing about this forum all of the time, and then today I noticed the forum icon at the top.

I got so swept up in catching up that I completely missed it, now I have so much more to catch up on.

I am 44 and I consider myself to be semi-retired. I was medically discharged from the Army after 23 years and now I am pensioned off. I am also the stay-home-dad of our 3 kids (11 yr girl, 7 yr boy, 3 yr girl).

I am planning on applying Mustachian principals to work toward becoming financially independant of my pension, or at least getting rid of my debt to free up more of my pension for living life!

Kind regards,

Scott

Welcome. Find Nords. He is the military related badass around these parts.
Join the cycling challenge!
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

"Mustachians rarely sit back and let things happen to them. Mustachians go out and happen to things."

Camp Mustache Canada - Sold Out Already!!

ishoutedmyjoy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3198 on: March 17, 2017, 08:57:02 AM »
howdy, I'm Evan
I live in rural GA. I've been reading up on the blog the last 6-8 months and just diving deeper with the forums.
My wife and i both work in non-profit. Still over a decade before FI but in the past 4 months have been able to save close to 50% of our earnings.
I wanted to say thanks to everyone for sharing their expertise.
There are so many great ideas or deeply researched opinions. I really appreciate it.
Thanks!

Silkspin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3199 on: March 17, 2017, 12:29:06 PM »
Hello, I've only recently come across the blog, and of course ate it up in a few sittings! I guess I can call myself a semi-quasi-seasaw mustachian for many years. Done some things right and some things very wrong.

In brief: The book The credit diet shook me out of a terrible sleep, where hubby and I graduated University, got married ($$$), got stuck abroad in 911 ($$$) had school loans ($$$), even though we had decent entry-level jobs. Debt was killing us. That book saved me, got me out from under 20k in debt by giving up our apt, moving in with in-laws for 2 years, and then we borrowed against our rrsps for our first home.

Moved to a cheaper (my home) city when my daughter was born. Lots of ups and downs that I won't go into, but cost of living better. The credit diet references Your Money or your Life, and I accidentally came across it at a used bookstore for $2. Although debts not as high as before, it had crept up (setbacks related to moving cities and selling the house when the market crashed in 08 - talk about bad timing for our move!), and this book woke me up too, and we changed many habits. So now, with MMM, I'm due for round 3 obsession!

I look forward to seeing my progress by eating up more of MMM and the forum. We are not in a bad place, but we can get a lot better!