Author Topic: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself  (Read 548699 times)

Moiser

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself
« Reply #3100 on: January 17, 2017, 02:22:57 AM »
Hey guys!

I've been reading the blog and lurking on the forum for around six months.

I'm a 31YO English expat with no fixed residence.

I currently work in the offshore oil and gas industry on a 28 day rotation, I spend 99% of my free time traveling. I've started to apply what I've been reading here and have started to take steps to secure my financial future when I decide to leave the oil and gas industry to pursue something that I have a little more passion for.

Looking forward to getting involved in the community!

Mon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3101 on: January 18, 2017, 08:28:57 AM »
Hi!
Montse from Spain.

Gal2016

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIRE - 2031
« Reply #3102 on: January 18, 2017, 12:07:29 PM »
Hi. Gal2016 here.  I've made a habit of living rather frugally over the last 8 years, but am now married to a spender who needs lots of help digging out of the credit card hole that he inherited in his divorce. This last year has meant a geographical move, a new job (making 30K less than my previous) and step-kids.

Coming here for encouragement.  We make a good living, even with my reduced income but have a tremendous debt-load.  Slowly whittling it away and will be debt-free except for mortgages and student loans by the end of 2017.  I've got a house on the market, and it will be a huge relief once it sells.

We've both got pensions/retirements and I have a 403B that I've contributed to for a decade.  Once the CC debt is paid off, I'll max out my 403B (no employer match, unfortunately).  We're looking to semi-retire in 13 years to travel and pick up work as we feel the need.  We'll be 55 and 53 at retirement, if things go as planned.

Guide2003

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3103 on: January 20, 2017, 02:21:12 PM »
Hello, I've been lurking for a couple years and am current on all the blog articles. I've finally gotten to the point where I'm not able to get simple answers from quick google searches and it's forcing me out of my introvert's shell! While I've fortunately gotten a great start due to good parenting, I stumbled on MMM as I was entering a critical time in life where I was unwittingly setting up some long-term financial priorities.

I'm currently in military aviation living in southern Alabama (not a whole lot of Mustacians in this area it seems) but my wife and I are really excited to keep the momentum going on this journey. I look forward to gaining more personal advice and wisdom through this forum, and hope some day to meet some of you in person!

cognitiveitch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3104 on: January 20, 2017, 11:01:49 PM »
Hi, everyone! 33-year-old tech worker from LA here. Only about two years into my Mustachian ways and still learning a lot of hard lessons (kicking myself for not maxing out my 401K last year, for instance). Recently got my husband on board after breaking down all the numbers of exactly how much we need to earn and save in order to retire in under 10 years.

Already learned a lot by lurking and excited to contribute to the community!

MrThatsDifferent

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3105 on: January 21, 2017, 02:41:30 AM »
Hey everyone!
American living in Sydney, Australia for over a decade, mid-40s.  In the last year I've secured a great job that pays very well.  I've never been a saver, even though I've had generally good jobs.  Because of some weird circumstances I got into deep debt that I've managed to get myself out of last year.  I discovered MMM a couple months ago and it's changed everything. I'm focused on FIRE in 5 years, 8 max and we want to travel the world for a while. I've been reading everything to work out my strategy and make the changes necessary to improve our lives financially.  Reviewing our finances, we're not quite as bad as I thought and if we act now, we'll catch up quickly.  Very grateful for all the great advice and generosity from everyone sharing.

AnswerIs42

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3106 on: January 22, 2017, 12:48:29 PM »
Hello everyone, from London. I've been lurking on this forum for a few years now, so decided I may as well sign up :)

I was on the path to FI even before discovering MMM, but it's nice to know that others are doing the same thing. My thinking is that I work too hard for my money to waste it on crap. I started investing mostly in equities in 2007 or so, so managed to pick up quite a lot of bargains during the crash, and on the way back up again.

I checked my quarterly spreadsheet last month, and I've finally reached base-level FI! Well, not entirely, as a large proportion is locked away in a pension 'til I'm 55 (probably 58 by the time I get there). Also, the latest gains are somewhat illusory, due to the weakness of the pound, and I'm not sure I trust the 4% rule on these valuations. Plus, I want to move away from London when I RE, and hopefully have a bit more than base-level FI then. But still - it's practically in the bag at this point, everything else is just gravy. It's a nice feeling :)

taxedatty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3107 on: January 22, 2017, 03:59:34 PM »
Lurking for years, decided that perhaps I should register and contribute to the discussions. I'm an attorney in philly working at a b4 accounting firm.  Married.  Husband and I are saving and investing to retire early, and although pretty frugal, we are not as mustachian as many here!!  But we are content, which we believe is really the name of the game. 😀

katscratch

• Stubble
    • Freedom From Scratch
« Reply #3108 on: January 22, 2017, 09:31:55 PM »
I never properly introduced myself - 42, work in healthcare.

My values have always been Mustachian, my bank account not so much. 

I have one kiddo in college who is on his way to FI - he'll probably outpace me, darn engineers ;)  I can't let my son retire before I do, so the race is on :)
Clawing my way to financial independence at http://freedomfromscratch.com

TMInsall

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3109 on: January 23, 2017, 12:16:10 PM »
Hi, just registered. I'm a 26 year old Middle School English Teacher who's recently started throwing all extra money towards loans. I was a spending freak, driving my wife crazy until i discovered MMM and the FI/RE mentality. Now my whole focus has shifted, and I feel better about it!

TheBeardandTheBohemian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3110 on: January 23, 2017, 01:38:48 PM »
I just  registered my wife and I have lived very frugally and invested most of our income for the past three years  we live very similar to most people on this form we are in our early 20s  she graduated this past December from college and I quit my professional sales job and we are traveling the country for 2017 in our 1998 Ford e- 350

romanh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3111 on: January 24, 2017, 12:51:34 PM »
Hi people,

I'm Roman from Germany, I was always a somewhat frugal person but I also enjoyed my life somewhat with cheap-isa travels.
This blog is a fairly interesting site, although I really don't understand the massive numbers which the americans toss around here (e.g. increase net worth by 100k in 1 year).

Might have to do with massive taxes in Germany and / or higher salaries/wages in the US.
Anyhow, I plan to improve my financial situation long term.
Cheers!

jessicat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3112 on: January 25, 2017, 08:15:19 AM »
Hi!  I am a stay at home mom.  I am 43 years old. My dh is a software engineer.  we have six kids.  (Yes on purpose)  We have been married 20 years.  10 years ago we found Dave Ramsey.  He help change our financial lives and get on the same page.  We paid off 35k of debt in one year while my dh was making 69k.  Fast forward 10 years.  Last April we paid off our house 244k and now have 325k in retirement savings.  About a year ago I was looking for more financially.  we have done well but I wanted more.  That is when I found mr Money mustache.  I am more security oriented, my husband is more of a risk taker with investments.  We talk our way to the middle together.  We are both tightwads.  I agree and love many things I have read here.  The ones I don't agree with are more negotiable to me. I won't ride a bike everywhere.  My town isn't set up for it and yesterday I had an epic bike crash.  I am a bit old for skinned knees and elbows. I do ride for fun.  And we own a 2002 suburban because it seats 8.   I am excited to start the next part of our journey by stepping up what we are doing.

Mr Chin Stubble

• Stubble
« Reply #3113 on: January 25, 2017, 09:47:25 AM »
Hi I'm Mr Chin Stubble. I liked one of the articles (Millioniaire is minted 10 dollars at a time)and want to retire. I also seem to run up credit card debt.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 07:37:36 PM by Mr Chin Stubble »

SunDevilFIRER

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIREd UP!
« Reply #3114 on: January 25, 2017, 05:32:56 PM »
Hello from Portland! I have been reading MMM for a couple years, and just started exploring the forums a few weeks ago. My oh my there is so much interesting and useful information here! The posts here have encouraged me to go even farther in my 'stache-building and create/adapt some new spreadsheets to even more completely and accurately track my spending and retirement contributions. So THANK YOU all for posting such great stuff here. I hope to be able to contribute some good things and keep myself accountable through writing here as well.
FIRE Progress..
1/25/17 - 10.84%

LittleTree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3115 on: January 25, 2017, 08:27:44 PM »
Hi I'm Casey. I live in NYC with DH and our two middle schoolers.  It's taken a while for me to overcome my shyness and register but now I'm really excited to participate with you all in the MMM community.

I found MMM a little over a year ago. (From Frugalwoods!) We had just started Dave Ramsey's debt snowball a few months earlier and I was trying to find motivational websites to help me change our financial life. I felt like an ostrich just taking my head out of the sand. I was 44 and we were living paycheck to paycheck in spite of good jobs and some assets acquired before having kids. We are very close to completing Ramsey's baby step 2 which will be almost 180k in 24 months. To say we've had to make deep cuts in our life style is an understatement but it will all be worth it when we cross the finish line. We will still have our primary mortgage but 1 step at a time. I've been so focused on this goal that we really haven't made any concrete FI plans or milestone dates. That's what we're looking forward to next.

Anyway I look forward to reading, learning, and sharing in the successes and encouragement of the community!

SmartyCat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3116 on: January 26, 2017, 10:31:55 AM »
Hello from the Seattle area! I'm SmartyCat, and I stumbled across MMM a few months ago in the process of decluttering and thinking about how much is "enough". Until last year, DH and I were kind of . . . "I'll work until 62 and he wants to retire around 70, tralala. .. . (I know, right??). . . .until the day the light bulb went on with a major WTF moment. We've been frugal in some areas, spendypants in others, so there is some cleanup to do. We're aiming for FI by January 1, 2020. I'll be 58 and DH will be 65, so it only moves the timeline up by four years, but I'm super excited to have the countdown clock launched.

WinterSkies

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3117 on: January 26, 2017, 11:27:04 AM »
Hi folks!  Thought I'd introduce myself, as I've been lurking around for some time and have finally registered.  I'm WinterSkies - located in Winnipeg, Canada.  DH (34) and I (33) are both engineers, and have two young children (4, 2).  I stumbled across MMM late last year, and have been catching up on the blog, and more recently, reading through the forums.

I will start a journal at some point, as I like to talk about finances more than DH likes to listen!  So, the MMM forums shall become my outlet and potentially my sounding board for our plans to get to FIRE.  Thankfully, DH and I are both savers, and agree that we want to make changes that will allow us to get out of the rat race a lot sooner than average.  We're at a decent starting point - regular RRSP contributions since we started working 10 years ago, no consumer or car debt, an emergency fund to cover 2 full months of expenses and an aversion to debt in general.  We have a mortgage (314k at 2.35% variable), and are paying into it weekly, plus occasional lump sums.  However, we don't track our spending, and that is hurting our savings rate immensely.  I know that our potential for further savings is great - I just need to identify it and make a plan. 

I am looking forward to learning from everyone here, and giving and receiving encouragement.  This looks like such a great community!

Swish

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3118 on: January 27, 2017, 10:22:36 AM »
Hello,

I have a small family, wife and three kids under 4. I keep having self inflicted wrenches thrown into my financial plans so trying to keep our home as accountable as possible. I have no idea how far out FIRE is but would like to figure it out. Found this site looking for a electric shaver by mistake and have been reading almost every day since.

"If you want what everyone has do what everyone does."

I want something different.

CC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3119 on: January 27, 2017, 12:01:34 PM »
Hi all,

A 26yo midwest senior mustachian in training here, currently working through all of the posts from the very beginning (As of today, ‘I’m on Get Rich With: Good Old-Fashioned Hard Work’ from February 2012 so quite a ways to go). Learning so much already, nice to see so many like-minded people here. Looking to be FI/RE by age 40 with the knowledge of MMM and you all!

-CC

MinimalistGal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3120 on: January 28, 2017, 05:11:33 PM »
It has been at least 2.5 years since I found MMM and JLCollins that changed my life. I have always been relatively careful with money but finding these blogs brought perspective.

I would like to learn more and contribute as well.

frugalwitch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3121 on: January 29, 2017, 08:20:39 AM »
Hi !

I'm a 27 yo college teacher in Canada. I've been through a long way to become more frugal as I was a very spendy witch 5 years ago. Trying to do the math and see if I can be FI at 40!

Kiwi Fuzz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3122 on: January 30, 2017, 07:11:37 AM »
Hello!

I'm a Kiwi living in Massachusetts with my US citizen husband. My goal with FI is to have more stability than I did growing up and to be able to say FU to abusive people (bosses, landlords, anyone really) in my life and walk away if I need to. Also to know that the husband would be financially secure if my income was gone since he can't work. My goal for RE is to focus on my writing (creative fiction fantasy/sci fi) without the pressure of making it an income generating job.

My interests include, but are not limited to: cooking, baking, writing, reading, video games, drawing, painting, carpentry, DIY in general, languages (French and Japanese I know a little), philosophy, science, knitting, and other nerdy things.

alexanderhamilton

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3123 on: January 30, 2017, 03:24:42 PM »
Hello!

I am 43 and wish I had found this forum sooner! I have always been financially responsible (paid off house, no other debt) but could have done so much more. I do love my job but that could change and I like to have options. Husband is not extraordinarily frugal (he likes to eat out) but he knows we have a good lifestyle because of our frugality. We do travel as much as we can and that is what we love.  I come from a small family and we are spread on three continents, so that is where our fun money goes!
I have two kids, one super frugal and one not.

Vibrissae

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3124 on: February 01, 2017, 11:06:02 AM »
Hello! I can't recall how I found the MMM site--presumably someone on another forum somewhere recommended it--but I've been lurking about for a little while and finally decided to make an account. I'm in my late 40s, single with three cats, and work in academic publishing. The money's not tremendous, but it's decent and comes with great benefits, plus I love my job.

Financially I'm in tolerably good condition, which I owe utterly and entirely to my parents, who, while not quite at Mustachian levels of thrift, were still very money smart. It's due to them that I own my own home (their home, which I inherited when they passed), have no student debt (they paid cash!!), and have a sizeable 'stache in an investment fund. They were also the ones who taught me to pay off my credit card balance in full every month and generally to live within my means. I've been sliding a bit over the last decade or so, though--I really haven't been saving at all, and I've dipped into the investment fund a few times (okay...maybe more than a few) to cover some expenses that have cropped up.

So here I am starting out a new phase of greater willpower and money-savvy. I've finally evicted my ne'er-do-well best friend/housemate (I love her, but wow, was she ever a drain on my mental and financial energy), and I'm working on taking a weed-whacker to my expenses. I've already seen so many good tips on here already, and I'm planning on taking them to heart.

Change is exciting! I'm looking forward to the journey. :)

financiallypossible

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIRE:2017 "Without music, life would be a mistake.
    • Financially Possible
« Reply #3125 on: February 01, 2017, 11:27:23 AM »
Hi,

I'm in my mid 30's and married with 1 child. We achieved FI at the New Year of 2017. I'll be RE in 3 months and my wife will retire in late Feb.

We just learned about the FIRE movement in June of 2016, but have been living that lifestyle for over a decade. We've been networking since August 2016 through the BAMMM (Bay Area MMM meetup group) and the Mustachians on Facebook group. We're looking forward to meeting more people in the community at future Fin Con's and the like.

We write 4 blogs on a variety of topics and run a YouTube channel. Our vision for retirement includes living the simple life, participating heavily in the PTA once our young one enters school in a few years, volunteering, and diversifying our portfolio through real estate investing.

I'm a big fan of Pete's (MMM) writing style and content.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 11:40:01 AM by financiallypossible »
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children:
https://www.youtube.com/c/TripSeibold

http://www.financiallypossible.com/

fitnesswealth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3126 on: February 01, 2017, 06:56:50 PM »
Greetings everyone,

To be honest I have only stumbled into MMM recently. I have heard him from other podcasts and such. I follow other bloggers in the industry that is in his circle. I work in the aviation field in the military, I am nearing my goal of financial freedom (from consumer debt) the goal is before July of this year. I look forward to learning and contributing with everyone here.

RobinRobinRobin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3127 on: February 01, 2017, 11:56:53 PM »
Howdy folks!

I'm Robin. I'm a 21-year-old gal working as a mechanical engineer-in-training. I live on a cozy houseboat in northern Canada. I like to build and fix and grow things. My weekends are spent completing ultra-endurance suffer-fests by bike, ski, canoe and foot with my dog Toko. I play guitar and mandolin in a folk/funk band, and coach cross-country skiing.

I'm mildly obsessed with travel, and run off for a couple months each year. My goal is to transition to remote work once I get my P.Eng., travel nearly full-time, and maintain my home base in Canada.

I managed to escape university debt-free, and even had some savings. I bought a house(boat) in cash, and rent out the spare rooms on AirBnB. I'm maxing out my TFSA and RRSP, and funneling the rest into taxable accounts. I'm on track to FIRE comfortably in 8 years.

samaeryn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3128 on: February 02, 2017, 02:00:04 PM »
Hi, I'm 41, and just an office worker who has been receiving the MMM newsletter for a few years now. I have what I think of as standard debt: an almost paid off car, a couple of credit cards, and a small amount of student loans. I want to get the car paid off asap, so I can start paying down some other stuff. Also, I need to get my spending under control! Too much dining out!

Saskatchewstachian

• Stubble
« Reply #3129 on: February 02, 2017, 03:12:46 PM »
Howdy folks!

I'm Robin. I'm a 21-year-old gal working as a mechanical engineer-in-training. I live on a cozy houseboat in northern Canada. I like to build and fix and grow things. My weekends are spent completing ultra-endurance suffer-fests by bike, ski, canoe and foot with my dog Toko. I play guitar and mandolin in a folk/funk band, and coach cross-country skiing.

I'm mildly obsessed with travel, and run off for a couple months each year. My goal is to transition to remote work once I get my P.Eng., travel nearly full-time, and maintain my home base in Canada.

I managed to escape university debt-free, and even had some savings. I bought a house(boat) in cash, and rent out the spare rooms on AirBnB. I'm maxing out my TFSA and RRSP, and funneling the rest into taxable accounts. I'm on track to FIRE comfortably in 8 years.

Hello from another Mech EIT in Canada!

Designer_Money

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3130 on: February 02, 2017, 07:21:59 PM »
Hi. I'm Andy. I'm a 23 year old Industrial Designer and going-on-one-year college graduate. I was lucky enough to graduate with no debt a score a decently-paying (52k) job in a corporate engineering department. The job's ok.... pretty boring most of the time. The idea of starting my own design consulting business in the next 5 years or so has been sustaining me through it. Stumbling upon the Mustachian philosophy has also inspired me to set some long term goals toward FIRE. The freedom it would provide is really appealing to me and I thing I value that above frivolous crap that I could be spending my money on.

So, any advice for young folks just getting started? I'm currently holding my own at 12% savings and I'm on track to 15% in the next few months with some downsizing and adjustments. I've unfortunately got a new car to pay off but that's all the debt I have. Any advice, shared experiences, or commentary would be welcome and appreciated!

Dollar Slice

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3131 on: February 02, 2017, 10:58:29 PM »
So, any advice for young folks just getting started? I'm currently holding my own at 12% savings and I'm on track to 15% in the next few months with some downsizing and adjustments. I've unfortunately got a new car to pay off but that's all the debt I have. Any advice, shared experiences, or commentary would be welcome and appreciated!

You'll be in great shape if you're starting with good habits at your age! Advice: Make solid investment decisions and take advantage of 401(k)/IRAs - the money you invest early has the most time to grow! More advice: don't let your lifestyle inflate with any salary increases.
...it's not at all alarming that people have started quoting me in their siggy lines.

homewithwheels

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3132 on: February 03, 2017, 08:45:50 AM »
Howdy to all!!!

been creeping the forum for some time, finally decided to get into the discussion.

Quitting the 9-5 April 1 and moving on to work that I love.  good financial choices, 4 investment properties and a very low cost of living have made this choice possible! 

44 years old, married with 2 kids out of the house already.  Im headed to Colorado to become a river guide for summer 2017.  Life is good!

Fish Sweet

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3133 on: February 03, 2017, 01:29:40 PM »
Hi. I'm Andy. I'm a 23 year old Industrial Designer and going-on-one-year college graduate. I was lucky enough to graduate with no debt a score a decently-paying (52k) job in a corporate engineering department. The job's ok.... pretty boring most of the time. The idea of starting my own design consulting business in the next 5 years or so has been sustaining me through it. Stumbling upon the Mustachian philosophy has also inspired me to set some long term goals toward FIRE. The freedom it would provide is really appealing to me and I thing I value that above frivolous crap that I could be spending my money on.

Hello from one young Mustachian to another!  I'm 26-turning-27 this year, earning an income similar to yours, and trying to improve my own savings rate all the time!

One thing that I recommend doing, if you aren't doing it already, is to start tracking all of your spending.  Rent, utilities, groceries, eating out, dating, hobbies, car repair, the dollar you tip your parking attendant, all of it.   Track it, log it, break it down, and that's where you find out where you can trim the fat-- where are you spending the most, and where can you afford to cut back the most?  Look to some of the numbers our fellow great MMM people are providing for inspiration-- if they can get their grocery/utilities/clothing expenditures down to XXX number, why can't I?  Another side effect of tracking is that it makes you very aware of the money you spend, because you don't want to just toss a twenty at your dinner bill and forget about it, you need to log it later!

Also, if you're at all like me, and have a 20-somethingish friend group that loooves going out, eating out, and hanging out, don't be afraid to start proposing some cheaper alternatives for having fun.  Instead of eating out every Friday, now my best friend and I walk to the grocery store together, shop together, and prepare dinner together at half the price and twice the time spent with each other.  Friend wants to go to a classy and expensive bar where each beer costs upwards of $7?  Propose a beer tasting among friends where you each go and pick up the most interesting or weird bottle of beer, and have a vote for whoever picked the Weirdest and whoever picked the Best.  You don't need to be Mr. Killjoy-Let's-Stay-At-Home every time, but just imagine-- avoiding 2 expensive $50 hangout trips each month in lieu of $10 cheap hangouts makes for a savings of $80 each month, or $960 a year-- almost a thousand dang dollars for the same amount of fun.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 04:45:09 AM by Fish Sweet »

BuffaloStache

• Bristles
« Reply #3134 on: February 03, 2017, 11:26:41 PM »
Also, if you're at all like me, and have a 20-somethingish friend group that loooves going out, eating out, and hanging out, don't be afraid to start proposing some cheaper alternatives for having fun.  Instead of eating out every Friday, now my best friend and I walk to the grocery store together, shop together, and prepare dinner together at half the price and twice the time spent with each other.  Friend wants to go to a classy and expensive bar where each beer costs upwards of $7?  Propose a beer tasting among friends where you each go and pick up the most interesting or weird bottle of beer, and have a vote for whoever picked the Weirdest and whoever picked the Best.  You don't need to be Mr. Killjoy-Let's-Stay-At-Home every time, but just imagine-- avoiding 2 expensive $50 hangout trips each month in lieu of $10 cheap hangouts makes for a savings of $80 each month, or $960 a year-- almost a thousand dang dollars for the same amount of fun.

This alone has made a dramatic impact on my savings rate. Highly recommend.
My Log

FITortoise

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: New to North Wales/Lansdale/Philly burbs
« Reply #3135 on: February 04, 2017, 09:03:35 AM »
Hi all! A professional in my early 30s, I recently moved to the North Wales/Lansdale (suburb of Philly) area. Would love to meet more Mustachians! Interests are: outdoor activities (running & hiking), food, reading and always up for a good cup of tea or coffee. Let me know who's around.

FI4good

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3136 on: February 07, 2017, 11:54:07 AM »
Hi all,

M 42 in the UK, M partner 52.
I earn aprox 34kpa (around $42,000 usd) , savings rate of about 65% . Dreaming of FIRE at 50 - 55 depending on the markets and UK pension withdrawl age changes, partners plan is conventional 67 state pension.   

Have crashed and burned in life a few times, had time out from work 29-35 not FI but had FU money so i used that until i had none left, then had to return to work, I had to come back to the UK and face all of it again . Bleugh ! 

Life begins at 40 is the old addage, so i thought i'd apply myself to FI , FI for good this time.

Think it's great to see so many younger people on MMM getting it together to experience the life i had a brief taste of but permanently .

Vlad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3137 on: February 07, 2017, 03:29:25 PM »
Hi,

I'm a long-time lurker (almost 2 years).  Figured it was time I stopped sponging and started getting involved (and hopefully contributing).  I found MMM via the "50 Jobs over $50k" when my son was trying to decide what to do after high school.  I had always been somewhat frugal and saved a little, but figured I'd keep slogging along until "normal" retirement age.  The blog and forum opened my eyes to the possibilities.  In the past couple years I've changed a lot ... reduced spending, increased savings, optimized investments, started monetizing my DIY skills though side gigs, and have a plan to FIRE in 7 years (age 52)! 

financiallypossible

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIRE:2017 "Without music, life would be a mistake.
    • Financially Possible
« Reply #3138 on: February 08, 2017, 10:19:27 AM »
Quote from: Vlad
The blog and forum opened my eyes to the possibilities.  In the past couple years I've changed a lot ... reduced spending, increased savings, optimized investments, started monetizing my DIY skills though side gigs, and have a plan to FIRE in 7 years (age 52)!

Excellent! And congratulations :)

Think it's great to see so many younger people on MMM getting it together to experience the life i had a brief taste of but permanently .

Agree, I really want to educate and encourage the young generation (age 15-22) to increase the number of people who work first and have children later (after their few working years are done or with only a slight overlap). Happier and more focused parents = a better future society.
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children:
https://www.youtube.com/c/TripSeibold

http://www.financiallypossible.com/

SheepDog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3139 on: February 08, 2017, 01:46:16 PM »
Hello from Ohio!

Read MMM articles for some time now online and finally jumped on the forum. 

I've been a YNAB user for many years and just got the Wife someone on board with it as well.  Been together for 7 years and just got married last fall.  Just finished up combining all of our finances this past month or so.  Trying to get all the ducks in a row before minions start appearing lol.

I'll be posting a case study thread soon so we can get an idea where to improve.

Anyway, looking forward to learning lots and meeting new people!

MattS

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3140 on: February 09, 2017, 08:56:14 AM »
Hello! 
I've been lurking on here for a few years, joined last summer, and am finally posting.  I've learned a lot from both MMM's blog and from this forum. 
I'm 39, married, two kids, working for Mega-Corp as a chemical/process engineer/scientist, wife works part time.  We live in eastern Pennsylvania, in a small suburbany town.  I'm looking at pulling the plug in 4-5 years. 
Thanks for all the useful information over the years, I'll try to contribute when I can.

ChrisUSAF34

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3141 on: February 09, 2017, 02:04:54 PM »
Hey Everyone,

MMM, frugality, FI and all the positive personal/social side effects just make sense to me. I'm Chris, an active-duty Air Force officer/pilot guy. I'm trying to get to MMM 'level 2'; I think I'm close but could use help for sure. I can pull an active duty retirement at twenty years (nine years from now) and hope that along with my aggressive savings I will enjoy real freedom. I've always been a saver/investor but only found MMM in the last year. Now I feel like I'm pushing it on everyone who is open to listen. Hope to learn a lot more, share, etc. Thanks!

Chris

Halligan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3142 on: February 09, 2017, 03:17:33 PM »
Hello everyone!

I recently found MMM from a post on Reddit.

I'm a 27 year old Firefighter from Michigan, who is looking to maximize the income boost from my new job. I'll be making a formal introduction/asking for advice thread in the next few days, but just wanted to stop in and say hello, and thank you to the many posters whose posts I have learned so much from.

Cheers,
Halligan

albertoartis

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3143 on: February 11, 2017, 02:06:36 AM »
Hi everyone. My name is Alberto and I like to try new passive income opportunities.

kevinm62

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3144 on: February 11, 2017, 10:03:59 PM »
Hi,

I'm new to budgeting and working towards finite financial goals. I've gone down the path of churning in the past, building up an over-abundance of credit cards and credit limits. After some intermittent unemployment, I racked up a serious amount of debt which I am now focused on taking down to zero.

Heard about MMM through Biggerpockets and also found an MMM forum post while researching renting AU slots. Hope to learn more about earning some money from some of these credit cards I've been holding onto.

Thanks,

Kevin

eezema

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3145 on: February 12, 2017, 04:52:26 AM »
Hullo!

Heard about the MMM forum a year ago from my husband and have been slowly implementing strategies and advice. I've always been pretty frugal and more on the minimalist side of life, so it was right up my alley... Working my way through school (as affordably as possible) with a promised position in my mom's consulting firm that will allow me to retire within 10 years of starting. We've got one huge furbaby and a little one on the way, and are currently blasting away at the last of my debt caused by a major surgery for the aforementioned furbaby a couple of years ago. We're currently bouncing around the idea of renovating his sister's affordable, very well-located house into a more co-habitation type environment to save money and keep the tribe close (his siblings are very like-minded).

I'm very excited about the future, and glad to have found both the MMM blog and forum!

MoMMy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3146 on: February 13, 2017, 10:01:49 AM »
Hello all!! Been reading the blog/forum for a while. Finally signed up to give/get help! :) We're soon to be a family of 5 with a stay at home parent. (P.S. My dad - my personal frugal expert - grew up in Longmont, CO in the 40s/50s!)

Jane Dough

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3147 on: February 13, 2017, 03:47:46 PM »
Hello, long time lurker here. I enjoy reading in these forums, and learn a lot from all of you. Decided it's time to finally join. Married over 40 years, retirement is imminent.

LoganRivera

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3148 on: February 14, 2017, 12:09:09 AM »
Hai guys,
I am Logan Rivera, a newbie to this forum. Happy to join this forum and glad to meet everyone.

facepalm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3149 on: February 14, 2017, 09:31:42 PM »
New to the forum. Have been reading the main page articles for a while, but just now registered so I could participate in the "race to 200K" thread.