Author Topic: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself  (Read 532784 times)

erinw

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself
« Reply #2950 on: October 05, 2016, 12:53:21 PM »
Hi, everyone!

I've been reading MMM for a few months now and lurking here a bit, and figured it was time to join in. I'm a 24 year old single female, originally from NC but moved to DC for college and stayed here after graduation. Thanks to generous parents/a grandfather, financial aid, and the attitude that I was going to pay more than my monthly required amount, I'm down to about $4k in student loans at pretty reasonably low interest rates so nothing there to complain about. I grew up learning from my parents that saving is a good thing to do, but they can't be considered Mustachian by even the most generous of standards, so now I'm working on breaking years' worth of spending habits that I never gave much thought to. A few months ago I realized I was feeling like I was living paycheck-to-paycheck, decided no way in hell was I going to continue down that route, and started looking up budgeting advice. I stumbled across MMM in the process and reading through all of the posts has been eye-opening! My biggest issue right now is how much of my income goes to rent, but for the time being I'm willing to work around that considering I walk to work and have a nice apartment for what is sadly a reasonable price in my neighborhood. It's pretty ridiculous that as of a few months ago I got a car despite living in this city, but to be fair, it's 10 years old, was formerly my mother's, was a free gift from my parents, and I only have it so I can go hiking on weekends and go to Costco. I feel like that means I only deserve a small punch in the face? I deserve much larger punches in the face for the truly staggering amounts of money I've spent the past few years on clothes and drinking/eating out, and I am valiantly striving to cut those expenses down to zero as a first step in the process of dramatically upping the badassity of my lifestyle.

I'm kicking myself for not having found this site while I was still in college or soon after I graduated, but I'm excited to get started now!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 01:07:27 PM by erinw »

stein79

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2951 on: October 06, 2016, 08:32:23 AM »
Hey Folks, I've read through the forums on and off for the last year or two. 

I'm 29, in sales, have been investing to some degree since I started working in 2010 but I still spend a lot of money on too many hobbies and expensive intangible items.

Trying to become more intelligent with investing, see my post and help me out: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/investor-alley/hello-consider-my-portfolio/msg1253727/#msg1253727

Also trying to be more responsible with spending and reduce on some key areas to enable faster FIRE.

Luckily, i'm debt free other than a mortgage at a pretty low rate in an area that I should have no problem selling the house at a profit or renting it. 
But, I own a Harley (that I rarely ride), drive an SUV (i'm tall), have a gun collection, drink expensive whiskey and beers, enjoy meals out on the town, don't mind traveling, and dream of owning 5+ acres of land to live on.  But, I am trying to cut down on some of these and put more into my investments.

Look forward to learning more from everyone here.

Cheers!

files_copying

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2952 on: October 06, 2016, 08:13:41 PM »
Hi I'm Marcus and I am learning to want what I have instead of buying more things.

redturtle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2953 on: October 08, 2016, 10:42:15 PM »
Hi guys, my name is Rob. I stumbled across this site through reddit. It seems to have some great resources! Looking forward to saving with all of you.

doodlebug77

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2954 on: October 11, 2016, 10:51:32 AM »
Hi, I'm doodlebug. I'm a 39-year-old divorced female who is going to graduate in May 2017 with an MBA... and tons of student loan debt (100K). I'll be moving to Boston next summer and making a good salary, so I'm interested in figuring out how to save for retirement and pay off my loans as aggressively as possible. I'm worried about being able to do so in such a high cost of living city. Any tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

monocleman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2955 on: October 11, 2016, 01:21:06 PM »
Hi, I'm Chris.

I like beer.

eyerishgold

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2956 on: October 12, 2016, 04:12:29 PM »
Hi Ya'll,

I'm now closer to 40 than I am 35. I'm also getting closer to retirement. I'm married with one child and he's finally in school so no more daycare costs! My wife and I make a great deal of money but we could do better saving it. We don't do a terrible job, we have a net worth approaching 700k with only about 75k of that as equity in our house. We'll save over 120k this year but that'll still only be about 40% of our income so we could be doing a lot better. But, on the bright side, other than a mortgage on our house and rental property, we have no debt. I drive 15 a year old car and my wife's is 7 years old.

On the not so bright side, we pay for lawn care and have a house cleaner come in twice a month. I'm not sure how I currently justify that. We eat out more than we should and we like to travel. We have 2 trips planned currently. There's a lot we can cut out but we just need to force ourselves to do it. Overall, I'm happy with where we're at but I know we can do better.

Jankle NSS

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2957 on: October 13, 2016, 09:36:29 PM »
Hey Mustachians,

Really excited to be joining the community!

My wife and I are a combined 27.9 years old and we have a FIRE date of 2026. We live in the beautiful Texas hill country. Can't wait to get to know everyone!

-Jankle

marty998

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2958 on: October 14, 2016, 04:48:50 AM »
Hi, everyone!

I've been reading MMM for a few months now and lurking here a bit, and figured it was time to join in. I'm a 24 year old single female, originally from NC but moved to DC for college and stayed here after graduation. Thanks to generous parents/a grandfather, financial aid, and the attitude that I was going to pay more than my monthly required amount, I'm down to about $4k in student loans at pretty reasonably low interest rates so nothing there to complain about. I grew up learning from my parents that saving is a good thing to do, but they can't be considered Mustachian by even the most generous of standards, so now I'm working on breaking years' worth of spending habits that I never gave much thought to. A few months ago I realized I was feeling like I was living paycheck-to-paycheck, decided no way in hell was I going to continue down that route, and started looking up budgeting advice. I stumbled across MMM in the process and reading through all of the posts has been eye-opening! My biggest issue right now is how much of my income goes to rent, but for the time being I'm willing to work around that considering I walk to work and have a nice apartment for what is sadly a reasonable price in my neighborhood. It's pretty ridiculous that as of a few months ago I got a car despite living in this city, but to be fair, it's 10 years old, was formerly my mother's, was a free gift from my parents, and I only have it so I can go hiking on weekends and go to Costco. I feel like that means I only deserve a small punch in the face? I deserve much larger punches in the face for the truly staggering amounts of money I've spent the past few years on clothes and drinking/eating out, and I am valiantly striving to cut those expenses down to zero as a first step in the process of dramatically upping the badassity of my lifestyle.

I'm kicking myself for not having found this site while I was still in college or soon after I graduated, but I'm excited to get started now!

Hi! You'll be amazed at how quickly the progress you can make. And best of all, it's a habit and a mindset that gets easier the longer you do it.

What are you going to do when those loans disappear?

Hi, I'm Chris.

I like beer.

I do too. I may have had a few too many tonight...

Enigma

• Stubble
« Reply #2959 on: October 14, 2016, 06:26:23 AM »
Hey Mustachians,

My wife and I are a combined 27.9 years old and we have a FIRE date of 2026. We live in the beautiful Texas hill country. Can't wait to get to know everyone!

-Jankle

Combined 27.9 years?  or average 27.9yrs?  I mean if it is combined does that mean you are both roughly 13.95yrs old?  Welcome to MMM
"Periodically calculating your net worth -- the value of your assets minus your liabilities -- is the best way to measure and track your financial well-being." - unk

FI: Sept 1, 2014 (Age 35) - Completed
RE: Friday July 12, 2019 (Just b4 40th Bday) - Goal

Enigma

• Stubble
« Reply #2960 on: October 14, 2016, 06:29:33 AM »
Hi Ya'll,

I'm now closer to 40 than I am 35. I'm also getting closer to retirement. I'm married with one child and he's finally in school so no more daycare costs! My wife and I make a great deal of money but we could do better saving it. We don't do a terrible job, we have a net worth approaching 700k with only about 75k of that as equity in our house. We'll save over 120k this year but that'll still only be about 40% of our income so we could be doing a lot better. But, on the bright side, other than a mortgage on our house and rental property, we have no debt. I drive 15 a year old car and my wife's is 7 years old.

On the not so bright side, we pay for lawn care and have a house cleaner come in twice a month. I'm not sure how I currently justify that. We eat out more than we should and we like to travel. We have 2 trips planned currently. There's a lot we can cut out but we just need to force ourselves to do it. Overall, I'm happy with where we're at but I know we can do better.

Good luck!  I think I did better at saving when I started monitoring where I was spending money and why.
"Periodically calculating your net worth -- the value of your assets minus your liabilities -- is the best way to measure and track your financial well-being." - unk

FI: Sept 1, 2014 (Age 35) - Completed
RE: Friday July 12, 2019 (Just b4 40th Bday) - Goal

Chris88

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2961 on: October 14, 2016, 01:41:52 PM »
Hi, I'm Chris if you couldnt tell by my really imaginative name <<<.

I am 28 from Tampa, FL and a long time lurker but new contributor.  My wife and I are very fortunate to own our own home, have over $700K in total net worth (including our home paid for) and a savings rate of around 70%.  I feel like we should be close to FIRE in a few years but my wife worries about an increase in lifestyle when kids come into the equation.  I'm wary of us falling into the "One More Year Syndrome".  After all I love my job. I work at a tech startup and get to wear shorts and flip flops with free food every day. Perfect for a Florida Mustachian!  Glad to be part of the community. I love biking to work and the looks my rich neighbors give me as they pull out of their driveways in their brand new BMWs.  It's refreshing to share a community with like minded individuals. Hard to find in my neighborhood.

Jankle NSS

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2962 on: October 14, 2016, 03:57:06 PM »
Hey Mustachians,

-Jankle

Combined 27.9 years?  or average 27.9yrs?  I mean if it is combined does that mean you are both roughly 13.95yrs old?  Welcome to MMM

Yes yes average...I got so caught up in getting the age right that I just...

Glad to be here!

Shockers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2963 on: October 14, 2016, 09:36:23 PM »
Hi I am Jeff.  I am 42, married and we have two girls. 

We currently have a 900k net worth with 2/3 in the form of real estate.  Our apartments cash flow at $1500/month, we just closed on storage units at $10,000/month cash flow but we owe a significant amount of money on it, my wife has disability of $1400 + 2 kids at $300 each, my wife also has a side hustle of about $600/month.  I have been an IBEW electrician for the past 18 years and normally meet 100k/annually.

Not counting what we owe on apartments or storage our personal expenses are $7k/month.  Our largest hits come from our mortgage, food and entertainment.  I am here to find out ways to cut our expenses, learn how to set a FIRE date and figure out insurance. We would need very good insurance for an infusion my wife needs every two weeks for her AHUS.  We have great insurance through the IBEW.  Should I decide to transition to passive income and leave my current job, insurance would be high on my priority list.

Looking forward to learning from all of you!

AlienRobotAnthropologist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2964 on: October 15, 2016, 09:56:26 PM »
- 25 year old male
- single, living in Pittsfield, MA

- never had a loan or any kind of debt before
- currently saving ~50% of net income but things vary a lot from month to month
- realistically expect to FIRE at 38-42 depending on a lot of things

I'm here because I like learning about random things and trying to optimize anything and everything in my life. If you live near me, it would be fun to meet up in person sometime. Sadly, I'm not an alien or a robot or an anthropologist.

JimboJones31

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2965 on: October 16, 2016, 03:42:25 AM »
Hi All

New here (right forum for that I guess!).  I'm 38 and male, and live in the UK with my wife (36) and 2 kids, 7 and 3.  Aim is to be largely FI by 50, although I'm not following the most frugal/efficient path to FI and could get there quicker if I committed to doing so.

Currently we're doing pretty good.  6 years ago we bought a big house (I know...), and with interest rates in the UK at an all time low we've been concentrating on paying off that mortgage by making extra payments.  The outstanding loan is about $250k (a huge number but significantly less huge than 6 years ago), but we're paying it off by almost $2k a month, so really maxing that out.

Savings wise I've saved hard into a pension, and have about $165k already.  The aim now is to tone down pension contributions and let compounding do it's work, and instead push money into tracker funds.  We've got about $60k saved in cash and investments currently, and that needs to grow to at least $400k over the next 10-12 years to let us execute our plan.

We're relatively good with spending.  Not super frugal but we don't buy frivolous stuff like gadgets, we don't need new cars and we don't spend much on going out (with 2 small kids our going out days are largely behind us).  We could definitely do more to pull back on spending though.  And I'd also like to get a side hustle up and running.

Looking forward to being involved in the forum!

tssuila

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2966 on: October 16, 2016, 02:55:19 PM »
Hi Fellow Mustachians,

I have been following this blog for quite some time, but only recently found the forums. A little about myself:

- My name is Noel
- 42 yrs old, married, 1 son (4.5yrs old) - wife is currently staying at home
- Originally a career academic, then musician, then ESL teacher, now city employee
- Live in the frigid north (Canuckistan) city of Winnipeg, MB
- Spent my youth (up until 37) gallivanting around Asia, both teaching English and travelling
- Upon returning from Asia to my hometown of Winnipeg (at 37) , we not only had no savings, but were close to $20k in debt
- I then took it upon myself to attempt to get into a city job for 3.5 years (while working an entry City job for those years), putting us further into debt (we were about $40k when I finally got the job)
- I took transferred some debt to a Credit Card transfer that is due in August 2017
- Discovered FIRE and MMM about a year and a half ago

Our situation now is that we are about 1 month away from paying off our $40k debt completely, 8 months from paying off the credit card transfer (no interest until August), and then the only debt we will have left is our mortgage ($150K or so). We have about $15K in our TFSA, and approximately $10-20K in house equity.

A big pro and con for me is my "Golden Handcuff" pension situation. The earliest I can retire is 50, but with pretty significant penalties. Without even considering our TFSA situation, retiring in June 2025 ( I would be 51)I would have around a $25K/year pension.

We would likely move away from Winnipeg, and are considering the Gulf Islands off of Vancouver Island. Our son would just have finished grade 8, so it should fit nicely.

Our spending is pretty good, but it is always good to get new pointers on places to save. My savings situation is a bit complex to figure out with my pre-tax deductions for my pension (which are huge, but I am not complaining) - but once the loan and Credit Card Transfer are paid off, we will be saving $300 bi-weekly to TFSA,  $300 bi-weekly to my RRSP, and $200 bi-weekly to an Emergency fund (for a year and a half, then it will go to our Mortgage). The percentage of take home going to savings is around 47%, and any excess from overtime goes into savings of some sort.

That is it for me for now, the boy wants to watch a show (on Netflix of course!) .

Glad to meet you all!

Noel

barkerl2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2967 on: October 17, 2016, 07:29:45 AM »
Howdy,

First post on the forum, but I'm excited to be here. My name is Larry and I've been binging on MMM blog posts over the last week or so.

Here's a question: I've tried budgeting for the last year or so, but I'm afraid I haven't done a great job of expense tracking. Any tips on how to calculate expenses (monthly/annually/etc)? Do you know know of any spreadsheets that have been shared on the forum in the past that might simplify it?

I'm really trying to hone in on our regular expenses so  that I can identify areas to cut back and can determine our savings rate.

Thanks!

TheUniverseGuru.Com

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Where Minimalism Meets Financial Independence
    • The Universe Guru
« Reply #2968 on: October 18, 2016, 10:36:17 AM »
Hello Everyone!

We are a family of 5 and 4 years away from FI (august 2020).  Hubby will be 48 and I will be 39 when we officially FI.  We have been followers of MMM and overall FI community but new to the forum area.

To keep ourselves accountable - we have been sharing our journey on your YouTube Channel and hopefully bringing a few other people along.  If nothing else, figured it would serve as a great video series for our children when they are older.  FI is very much a family journey for us and we love keeping our kiddos in the loop as well.

Looking forward to getting to know you guys!

Mina & Irfan
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/theuniverseguru

We are a family of 5 on our way to Financial Independence.
FI Date: Dec 2018

EMPrindle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2969 on: October 18, 2016, 11:18:58 AM »
Hi! I'm Elizabeth.

I'm happily married to my spender and I'm his saver--love that we make that dynamic work well in our marriage :).

We have a very happy, healthy six month old baby Leah who we're over the moon about.

We live part time in the Bay Area in California and part time in the Sierra Foothills.

We have a plan for financial independence and we work that plan every day together as a family.

Looking forward to learning more from everyone!

Car Jack

• Stubble
« Reply #2970 on: October 18, 2016, 12:51:51 PM »
Hi, I'm Jack and am probably already to be FI but the wife doesn't believe we ever could be (blue collar upbringing....how could we possibly stop working ever?).  We've always been frugal, having both put ourselves through college and living like that for years after.  Even so, I know we can always do better.  I drive THE favorite vehicle of this entire forum.  A Jeep Unlimited!  (let me snicker in the background as I listen to the cyber groans and boos)  Hey..I started out as a bike mechanic and bike racer........so I can't be so bad, right?

jeeebus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2971 on: October 20, 2016, 07:41:08 AM »
Hi,

This is my first post on the forum, although I first stumbled on MMM just over a year ago. I'm 29 and prior to discovering the blog I was always living slightly beyond my means, despite having earned a good income for the past 6 years. I leased a nice car, my girlfriend and I ate out often, and I was always buying crap from Amazon and other websites thinking that it would improve my life. I also had a few credit cards that I couldn't afford to pay off every month, so they always had a moderate but recurring balance on them.

In the last year or so I have completely changed my ways. By trimming the excess I have been able to pay off my credit cards one by one, build a modest emergency fund and start to passively invest in Vanguard funds. In addition to this I have amassed 6 months’ worth of mortgage payments in a separate bank account, which will cover my girlfriends half of the mortgage for the year of maternity leave that she'll be taking in March when we are expecting the arrival of our first child.

Oh, and the lease car was returned at the end of the contract in April. My girlfriend and I went halves on a 6 year old Hyundai instead. And we also cancelled our TV subscription :)

Although my girlfriend is not fully on board with the Mustachian way of life, she understands why I am and I managed to persuade her to save and pay off her small loan and credit card.

Since making these changes our lives have improved dramatically. We no longer argue about money, and we now have very few worries between us. We can think clearly and focus on planning ahead for the arrival of our baby next year.

MrSwayze

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2972 on: October 20, 2016, 05:08:50 PM »
Hi, I'm Mr Swazye, I got the nickname from a friend and got new license plates made (before I found MMM) and they messed up and didn't put the space in between and now everyone calls me MrsWazye.

I've got a bunch of credit card debt that I've been paying down as aggressively as I can to help me reach FIRE by 40~. I've got a live in GF that has the same dreams as me which helps immensely because she keeps me grounded and on the path. We both bought bikes so we can commute to work 10km roughly round trip for both of us. I've got a very anti mustachian vehicle with a Lincoln Mark LT, but it's paid for and I can't sell it for much of anything since it won't pass the new Ontario safety regulations. I also use it for my side business mowing lawns for people that are too busy to do it themselves.

Long story short, I've seen the mistakes I've made in the past and I also don't want to work until I'm 65 and too old to do much anymore, so I've been paying off my debt and should be free and clear by Feb. After that, it's all going towards my RRSPs.

Robbo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2973 on: October 21, 2016, 05:28:33 PM »
Hi all,

We are living the good life here in NorCal foothills ready to retire early next year. Love the frugality concept tendered here and look forward to learning and contributing!

Thanks - Robbo
Time is the currency of life...

Aoede

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2974 on: October 22, 2016, 09:09:06 AM »
Hi, I'm a recent SAHM of a one year old, who was breezily going through life without even a budget a month ago when my husband revealed the financial mess we were in. In the last month I've taken over our finances and have been building my money knowledge up from zero (a month ago I didn't know anything - not even how interest worked). I've rounded up all our financials, gotten them into ynab, and started making huge changes to how we live. I managed to pay off two credit cards this month with the money we saved by cooking at home this month (and making hubby return a big, unnecessary purchase on one of them). I found mmm by googling the best way to pay off ccs, which I sadly didn't do the the right order, but now there is only one left to focus on before we move to paying off student loans and and one car (other is free and clear).

We are about to be relocated (joys of being a military contractor) to a hcol area and I'm so glad I found you guys before we bought a ridiculous house. I've gotten husband hooked on fixer upper in the hopes that he won't balk when I want to buy a smaller, cheaper house in need of work instead of a huge McMansion we'd never afford that would require a huge commute. I just have to sell him on living in an up and coming neighborhood instead of on the water with the other debters. 

I'm introducing myself partly to keep myself honest and accountable as well as get ideas, as I teach myself how this money thing actually works and how to make our lives less miserable than they currently are. I'm hoping to get my husband on board the fi train, so that once the debt is going we can keeping rolling towards a better future for us and our kids.

optimisticone

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2975 on: October 23, 2016, 03:50:52 PM »
Hello I'm Optimisticone. I chose this name because I believe being a member of this family I have a chance to retire in the next 6 years. I am a real estate agent that recently moved back to Northern California and renewed my real estate license, in the process of selling my first house in years. I loss thousands of dollars when the market crashed in 2008 and lost al three homes I owned, which was my retirement plan so I'm starting from scratch. I can't totally depend on Social Security so I need to have a serious plan to try to retire by the time I'm 60 which is in 6 years. I would appreciate any advice anyone can give me to start this process. My goal is to try to put away $1,000 a month if possible but I dont know where to start my retirement investment. Please Help! I just started a new job that has a retirement plan with no matching so not sure if that's the best way to go. I would greatly appreciate any guidance and welcome all advice.

Thank you all,

Optimistic one : )

drp

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2976 on: October 23, 2016, 08:04:24 PM »
Hello all,
I'm a newbie who used to be frugal in a former life and has long been off the wagon. So, at present I am immersing myself in truly frugal blogs (ie - not ones that claim to help you be frugal but really just make you want to buy everything that's presently on sale...hello frugalwoods & goodbye moneysavingmom...), trying not to let anything die in my fridge, eating lots of beans and fine tuning the art of balancing my checkbook.

My name, by the way, is Des. I'm a mom of 2 - I stay at home - I teach my kids stuff. The husband is a blue-collar worker (went from quality supervisor to quality wood stacker...but I'm not complaining because he looks super hot in that hard hat) The pay is mediocre, but we're making it work and socking away what we can.

Looking forward to meeting/being inspired by people who are far more hardcore than us...and possibly inspiring someone else! In the future. Doubt it'd happen right now...

todthedog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2977 on: October 25, 2016, 08:55:31 AM »
Hello all
Grumpy old Brit living in Sweden. My wife and I gave up the day job some 16 years back. We moved to Brittany France and had an organic small holding, own veggies, pigs chickens etc. We are into renewable energy PV, solar thermal, and a wind turbine. Great fun but decided it was time to move on. Sweden just looked good, so far no regrets. Looking forward to picking your brains.

julielaursen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2978 on: October 26, 2016, 10:53:52 AM »
Hi, so I'm Julie and I live in Austin, TX and am looking for any way to alleviate my expenses and save money. I'm doing Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University and following Mr Money and Mad Fientist and just trying to figure this stuff out. I guess I don't get how Mr Money just says you can save 50% of your expenses just like that, like it's that easy. I do have a car payment, but i only have about $1800 left on it for a ten year old car. I've never bought new cars, never had cable, and until I was 25, I never even had TV or a computer at home. I actually didn't even have a phone til I was 23, I used a payphone on the corner next to a Walgreens. I cook almost all my meals at home and I stock up on rice, beans, oats, apples, eggs, etc. I have a smartphone, but I get half off because I work for the company, and my internet through my own company is $5. I can't figure out how to live any cheaper.

In Austin, it's very difficult to find rent for less than 1k. After my roommate wanted to jack up my rent to $700 for a place that was rat and roach infested, I was managing to find studios for $800-900 that I was pretty comfortable with. I will admit this is where my mom kicked in and basically demanded I buy a condo, and paid for the down payment. I got a 1BR condo for $115k 3 miles from downtown Austin last year (also walking/biking distance to work but Austin's bike paths don't go over highways so the bike commute is a bit terrifying). Mortgage and HOA is $1100. Problem is, this is almost half of my income right there.

Now, in a perfect world maybe I could save a third of my income instead? But this is where things get complicated. I have COPD, Endometriosis, Adenomyosis and Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. I've had three surgeries just this year, finally ending with a hysterectomy. My health insurance is very high deductible and I use up the max out of pocket almost yearly. Additionally, things just keep happening. The reason I got into debt in the first place was my Aunt went to the ICU for an emergency. When the people she was living with bothered to call me, her only living relative, she'd been in the ICU for 4 days and they were reading last rites. I jumped on a plane ($1200 to Cincinnati same day), rented a car ($700) and spent a week in a motel, because she had died while I was mid-flight and I had five days til the funeral ($1000... Ohio has some ridiculous $100 per night motel fee). I also miss a week of work because my company pays for almost any time out for a funeral but not if they're an aunt or uncle.. Right after that, my mom decides to put the down payment on a condo for me, and I find black mold that the inspector missed ($8000 for a new shower).. now as of last week, my mom was in the ICU for a subdural hematoma. Now I'm saying fuck savings and racking up my credit card in the idea I might need another expensive flight in case she needs surgery to relieve the pressure in her brain. I was the only living relative on my dad's sisters side before she died and I'm the only living relative on my mom's side as well. If she dies, I have zero family and I haven't been in a romantic relationship in ten years.

I listen to these Dave Ramsey calls and it's literally all couples, all healthy, throwing two sets of incomes at one set of expenses and patting themselves on the back for it. I don't hear anyone like me, single, with elderly ailing family members, no money, and dealing with chronic medical conditions herself, with no one to help. I even stopped dating because it was costing me too much money to go out for beers twice a week and not having a partner is just plain hard. So I sign on here and I see a bunch of crap about 'oh just save half your money it's super easy' along with some tips on things I'm already doing that aren't going very far for me. The Dave Ramsey class is the same thing, I go in and talk about clipping coupons and taking market research studies and donating plasma and working second jobs and everyone else is just talking about selling things like F150s and jetskis and unplugging cable... changing lifestyle habits I was always too poor to develop in the first place. I'm out of ideas. Anyone?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 11:12:07 AM by julielaursen »

LivlongnProsper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • It's a new day, anything is possible.
« Reply #2979 on: October 26, 2016, 11:14:07 AM »
Julie,

Welcome. I am sorry for your loss and the hard breaks that have been coming your way. You are right it is easier for many to save than it will be for you, MMM is primarily geared towards people that earn over $75k/yr. You have been living frugally from what you have shared so good job overall. Keeping your nose to the grindstone should start to pay off in little amounts at first followed by bigger and bigger amounts. With your car payments almost over with you should be able to chip away at the debt and start an emergency fund. Look into ways to increase your income to help grow the gap between spending and earning. If you are interested there is a mustachian and single section in the forum.

Hi, so I'm Julie and I live in Austin, TX and am looking for any way to alleviate my expenses and save money. I'm doing Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University and following Mr Money and Mad Fientist and just trying to figure this stuff out. I guess I don't get how Mr Money just says you can save 50% of your expenses just like that, like it's that easy. I do have a car payment, but i only have about $1800 left on it for a ten year old car. I've never bought new cars, never had cable, and until I was 25, I never even had TV or a computer at home. I actually didn't even have a phone til I was 23, I used a payphone on the corner next to a Walgreens. I cook almost all my meals at home and I stock up on rice, beans, oats, apples, eggs, etc. I have a smartphone, but I get half off because I work for the company, and my internet through my own company is $5. I can't figure out how to live any cheaper.

In Austin, it's very difficult to find rent for less than 1k. After my roommate wanted to jack up my rent to $700 for a place that was rat and roach infested, I was managing to find studios for $800-900 that I was pretty comfortable with. I will admit this is where my mom kicked in and basically demanded I buy a condo, and paid for the down payment. I got a 1BR condo for $115k 3 miles from downtown Austin last year (also walking/biking distance to work but Austin's bike paths don't go over highways so the bike commute is a bit terrifying). Mortgage and HOA is $1100. Problem is, this is almost half of my income right there.

Now, in a perfect world maybe I could save a third of my income instead? But this is where things get complicated. I have COPD, Endometriosis, Adenomyosis and Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. I've had three surgeries just this year, finally ending with a hysterectomy. My health insurance is very high deductible and I use up the max out of pocket almost yearly. Additionally, things just keep happening. The reason I got into debt in the first place was my Aunt went to the ICU for an emergency. When the people she was living with bothered to call me, her only living relative, she'd been in the ICU for 4 days and they were reading last rites. I jumped on a plane ($1200 to Cincinnati same day), rented a car ($700) and spent a week in a motel, because she had died while I was mid-flight and I had five days til the funeral ($1000... Ohio has some ridiculous $100 per night motel fee). I also miss a week of work because my company pays for almost any time out for a funeral but not if they're an aunt or uncle.. Right after that, my mom decides to put the down payment on a condo for me, and I find black mold that the inspector missed ($8000 for a new shower).. now as of last week, my mom was in the ICU for a subdural hematoma. Now I'm saying fuck savings and racking up my credit card in the idea I might need another expensive flight in case she needs surgery to relieve the pressure in her brain. I was the only living relative on my dad's sisters side before she died and I'm the only living relative on my mom's side as well. If she dies, I have zero family and I haven't been in a romantic relationship in ten years.

I listen to these Dave Ramsey calls and it's literally all couples, all healthy, throwing two sets of incomes at one set of expenses and patting themselves on the back for it. I don't hear anyone like me, single, with elderly ailing family members, no money, and dealing with chronic medical conditions herself, with no one to help. So I sign on here and I see a bunch of crap about 'oh just save half your money it's super easy' along with some tips on things I'm already doing that aren't going very far for me. The Dave Ramsey class is the same thing, I go in and talk about clipping coupons and taking market research studies and donating plasma and working second jobs and everyone else is just talking about selling things like F150s and jetskis and unplugging cable... changing lifestyle habits I was always too poor to develop in the first place. I'm out of ideas. Anyone?
Actions speak louder than words.

watchitgrow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2980 on: October 26, 2016, 03:18:07 PM »
Hi everyone!

My wife and I started our debt snowball at the beginning of this year by following Dave Ramsey's baby steps. We have paid off our student loans, a new car, and are currently working on paying off the mortgage. After reading MMM for about a month now I've become obsessed with the idea of early retirement.

At this point I'm trying to learn more about building our wealth so that we can develop a detailed game plan.

psychprof

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2981 on: October 27, 2016, 12:00:46 PM »
Hello, all! A quick introduction before posting a question that I just can't seem to find an answer to. I've been a reader of the site for some time now and occasional lurker on the forum. I'm a part-time community college psychology professor. Mom of 2. Wife of 1. I really enjoy the philosophy of the blog. I am looking for ways to incorporating some mustachian ideas into one of my classes (and therein lies my forthcoming question) and improving how I incorporate them into my life.

hoping2retire35

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2982 on: October 27, 2016, 12:14:59 PM »
Julie,

Welcome. I am sorry for your loss and the hard breaks that have been coming your way. You are right it is easier for many to save than it will be for you, MMM is primarily geared towards people that earn over $75k/yr. You have been living frugally from what you have shared so good job overall. Keeping your nose to the grindstone should start to pay off in little amounts at first followed by bigger and bigger amounts. With your car payments almost over with you should be able to chip away at the debt and start an emergency fund. Look into ways to increase your income to help grow the gap between spending and earning. If you are interested there is a mustachian and single section in the forum.

I listen to these Dave Ramsey calls and it's literally all couples, all healthy, throwing two sets of incomes at one set of expenses and patting themselves on the back for it. I don't hear anyone like me, single, with elderly ailing family members, no money, and dealing with chronic medical conditions herself, with no one to help. So I sign on here and I see a bunch of crap about 'oh just save half your money it's super easy' along with some tips on things I'm already doing that aren't going very far for me. The Dave Ramsey class is the same thing, I go in and talk about clipping coupons and taking market research studies and donating plasma and working second jobs and everyone else is just talking about selling things like F150s and jetskis and unplugging cable... changing lifestyle habits I was always too poor to develop in the first place. I'm out of ideas. Anyone?

I should pay more attention to this thread.

Julie,
Sounds like you are having  some troubles. There are a lot more of us low single income households on here than you would think. Post a case study and we can find some fat to trim. We ALWAYS find fat, the effort will be worthwhile.

lemanfan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2983 on: October 27, 2016, 12:20:20 PM »
Hello all
Grumpy old Brit living in Sweden. My wife and I gave up the day job some 16 years back. We moved to Brittany France and had an organic small holding, own veggies, pigs chickens etc. We are into renewable energy PV, solar thermal, and a wind turbine. Great fun but decided it was time to move on. Sweden just looked good, so far no regrets. Looking forward to picking your brains.

Välkommen!  :)

Moonwaves

• Pencil Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #2984 on: October 27, 2016, 01:07:57 PM »
I am looking for ways to incorporating some mustachian ideas into one of my classes (and therein lies my forthcoming question)
This sounds like a fantastic question to have its own thread. When you start one, could you come back and post a link here so that we can find it?

bestideaever

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2985 on: October 27, 2016, 02:20:30 PM »
Hey hey!

I'm a 31-year old female living in San Francisco with two dogs, and a boyfriend who lives one street over. Work a well-paid job that has allowed me to build almost 100,000$ in retirement savings so far, but I never managed my money well otherwise until this August. I was basically treading water, often spending more than I made. There had not been a net worth change since January for example, though I was paying into a 403b all year. My eyes have finally been opened to an entirely different, less spendy way to approach life...

Now I am enjoying the challenge of becoming frugal! I do believe it is a muscle to be exercised, so I still spend way more than is needed for an MMM lifestyle. I am making great changes, though, seeing that for October, I will finally not have spent more than I earned. Success! Now to tackle my lifestyle to reduce my budget every month to be more mustachian even in a HCOL area.

My goals for the rest of the year are:
- Max out 403b
- Pay off credit card balance (currently $6820)
- Declutter and sell off items for extra cash to save/invest
- Reduce recurring expenses like internet and phone bill
- Plan next year's holiday by learning about travel hacking vs. paying in cash

And many more :).

Looking forward to reading many more opinions and expertise in this forum. So many great role models here.

scapee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2986 on: October 27, 2016, 10:58:10 PM »
HI! Frugality comes naturally to me, since high school as far back as I recall. The philosophy of retiring early has always been in the back of my mind. I thought about it a lot more in university, and less each year since then.. My wife and I have been living a medium frugality life together since 2005 with only mortgage debt. Neither of us had/have ever taken on any other form of debt in our lives.

I didn't discover MMM or this forum until just a week or two ago after I'd purchased my new car and google pointed a Leaf search to MMM's purchase of his Nissan Leaf. Uncanny... After reading the Leaf post I curiously looked around this MMM community and was pretty amazed at the many similarities in my life to the MMM philosophy.

I live in vancouver, bc with my wife and daughter. We're fortunate enough to have bought RE in 2010 and worked our way up the real estate ladder by maxxing out extra lump sum mortgage payments to being able to buy a 'real house' in vancouver in 2015. (And we were only fortunate enough to have bought in 2010 at 28 because we were frugal, employed, and debt free in our 20's) Our stashe is about 1.4M now. I'd allocate that to about $300k salary income related savings and about $1-1.1M RE gains.

Since finding this site last week I've been reconsidering our finances to see if/when we can FU! It will take a renewed effort in frugality; I've noticed since both being back at work post-baby, our spending is way up to compensate for the complete exhaustion and lack of time for negotiating and shopping around. Heck we've even dabbled in maid services, have our groceries DELIVERED (!), and spend for frequent office lunches out since I run out of time to make it. But these are things that we would certainly do if we weren't at work all day and dying to spend time with our daughter for a few hours in the evenings and weekends.

We want to bail on this 9-5 work life and soon to spend time with our daughter and maybe have another. We're 35 this year so I hadn't been thinking seriously about retirement in the last few years, but I should be. And now I am..

delfin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2987 on: October 28, 2016, 02:08:19 PM »
Hello! I have been following Mr. Money Mustache's blog for some time. I love that I can now open my fridge and have dinner on the table in one hour. I was incapable of doing this 5 years ago, following recipes exactly and then two or more hours later, it would have been better just to make sandwiches.

I love spending time with my family but when they want to spend time doing something else, I enjoy reading online and then turning ideas into reality.

Bmayzing

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2988 on: October 29, 2016, 11:13:48 PM »
Brandon here...I've been transitioning to the mustachian way for about a year now without posting.  I've got a beard??

LP-Roadster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2989 on: October 30, 2016, 08:07:45 PM »
Hey all, newbie here who found the site through a friend!

I know this is a great community based on what I've read and will see how the usage of the KNAWLEDGE (Tai Lopez reference) will work for me! To begin I'm 21 years old, have worked in banking 2 years, and am being promoted first of the year, while also set to take some license tests to sell securities (investments)! Love this industry and have learned lots, as well as have seen sad situations from customers who can only wish they had guidance when they were my age. This in turn, and not to sound arrogant, has shown me what I want out of life and how I don't want to end up.

School systems do not do a very good job of preparing the younger generation in financial literacy and it's something I am very passionate about as I am able to not only advise all sorts of age groups, but I am also able to provide alternatives that make life easier for many of them.

I have actually dropped (more like taking a semester off and maybe another due to exciting job changes!) temporarily out of college, and have worked and gone to school the past 3 years since graduating highschool full time! (still worked 25-30 hours/week after school in highschool... Anyways..

My financial picture isn't perfect, but I blame my younger pre-banking age/immaturity and income I had straight into the full time workforce! :P
I'll save some non-interesting details and get to it. I am definitely excited and working to get my debt paid off by May 2018. At that point, I believe I will be re-locating with my employer and possibly will buy a house, or at least rent while I save even more.

So current debts:

Car Loan
~$18,415

Student Loans
~$14,000

I know, why do I have student loans when I worked full time my first few semesters? Poor choice of buying a car when I was 18 and nobody advising me differently. I worked at a dealership at the time too..so..

But yeah, this is my picture and I'm 8 months ahead on my car payments, I continually pay about 50-150 more each month more than the minimum, and I have enough in savings to wipe out a couple of my student loans. However, since they are low interest (3-4.25%) and in a standard 10 year repayment period, I am saving them last. I would like to pay my car off (2% rate) since that would free up more monthly income. I know it would probably be wise to sell my car, but it's a car I've wanted since they came out a few years ago. It's a vice. I've spent some money on modifying it too, which wasn't smart.

My income is expected to increase $600-800/month based on my estimates with my promotion so it's possible if I get to it and penny-pinch, by the end of the year I can realistically be debt free. I'm also pursuing a part time job possibly, or will grow my side hustles to throw even more money at the debt till it's gone.  Hope this isn't too long but I am open to advice from everyone and look forward to growing a 'stache!

todthedog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2990 on: October 31, 2016, 04:57:49 AM »
@lemanfan
Tack

A.freedom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Achieving Freedom
« Reply #2991 on: November 01, 2016, 12:55:02 PM »
Hey folks!
I'm a 26 year old living in North Vancouver, BC in lovely Canada. Originally from Sweden, I moved here for good 4 years ago. Currently about 10% of my way to my retirement goal working a pretty low paying job and living super frugally.

I love learning how to make things myself, especially food! This summer was spent pickling, fermenting and making jams and cordials from delicious produce picked up from the farmers market. I also enjoy foraging, hiking and getting in touch with nature.

I also run my own blog where I enjoy sharing my recipes and ideas!

bullcitybro

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2992 on: November 02, 2016, 11:21:44 AM »
Hello MMM community!

I discovered this blog a couple years ago, and have really taken the advice that I read to heart.  I'm still fairly early career (26 y.o. marketing automation professional) but have a 50%+ savings rate, and am constantly refining my frugal nature and my ability to rake in extra cash through side projects and consulting.

I ABSOLUTELY live a better life now than when I spent money without careful tracking and planning, use YNAB like it was a religion, and am trying to learn to do a few things (cough cough changing a tire) that I should probably know as an adult human being in 2016.

alexb2746

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2993 on: November 02, 2016, 01:01:19 PM »
Hello everybody,

I've asked some questions already so I should probably post here finally.

I'm 25, married to an awesome nurse, live in northeast Ohio and I am an IT professional.

I discovered MMM a few months ago, thankfully was already decently frugal (compared to  the usual American). The biggest change I made is biking to work 16 miles a day, hoping to continue this through winter with a fat bike.

I know we can comfortably retire by 40, but I am hoping to getting there sooner with buying and holding rental SFR's.

SouthLand

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2994 on: November 03, 2016, 11:58:48 AM »
Howdy!

I'm a 27 year old from the south (of the US). I'm a manager with a low-to-middle salary (decent for my area) with designs to move up in my field. I've been reading and trying to practice Mustachian habits for about a year but decided it was time to join in as I start really working towards my own FIRE. I've got a long way to go, but I look forward to the trip. I'll probably lurk a bit longer before really making any contributions.

Kevin M

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2995 on: November 03, 2016, 09:58:50 PM »
Hey everyone, I'm a 24 year old from NE Ohio. I am a Supply Officer in the US Navy so I move around quite a bit; I' currently living in upstate NY. I graduated from college about 1.5 years ago which is about the same time I the MMM blog. After binge reading the entire blog I made some major changes to my spending habits and was just recently able to achieve a positive net worth for the first time in about 7 years because of it. I look forward to meeting more mustachians and continuing to learn more about personal finance and living a more fulfilling life.

arrintonpalmer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2996 on: November 04, 2016, 09:27:25 AM »
Hi all, 32, Army Officer who discovered MMM about 2012 and have put about 300k in the bank since! My wife, new son and I would have FI'd around the end of 2019, but I'm leaving the Army now so our new date will be around 2022 depending on how civilian life goes.  While financially it makes sense to stick with the Army, the Infantry is not a place you stay for the money.

I decided to join the forum as we change our financial plan to fit the new reality.  We will be living off the GI Bill and a part time job for a couple years, and a farm income until we reach FI.  It's not as sure a bet as the military for sure, but it is time to start doing what I'm passionate about now!

fordman302

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2997 on: November 04, 2016, 11:01:15 AM »
Hello, I'm 39, wife is 38, we have two kids 6 and 3.  We have a decent nest egg put away, but also have a large mortgage as we have just built our 'Dream House' on our farm.   Fortunately, that's our only debt.   We have been saving money to build a barn and to replace our ten year old suv and truck.   I came to this forum to learn how to pay for ER.  Right now we looking at retiring around 2030.

moonsheep

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2998 on: November 04, 2016, 05:17:26 PM »
Hi all! I'm 31, single, living in an expensive part of the USA. First heard of MMM a couple years ago, and only recently decided to really put my nose to the wheel on building my own 'stash. Always been somewhat frugal, but have definitely succumbed to lifestyle inflation in the past couple of years; time to reverse that trend!

Littlebrotherlifecoach

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Little Brother Life Coach
« Reply #2999 on: November 04, 2016, 06:56:26 PM »
Hi, I'm Chad  29 from Ohio. I started a blog as my side hustle and aspire to be a blogger and life coach. I'm addicted to podcasts and I heard about the forum from arebelspy's interview on the mad fientist.  I'm almost 40k in debt, planning to pay it off and retire with a million+