Author Topic: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself  (Read 547928 times)

Sawedoff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Revenue Herald
Re: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself
« Reply #2450 on: October 24, 2015, 07:18:43 PM »
Found MMM through a Facebook post this past week and have been reading the blog ever since. I'm already semi-mustached in many ways, but I still have a LOT of room to improve. I've had the idea of retiring early, but my wife just shrugs it off.

Me and my wife are two sides of the coin. I spend minimally, making only a few purchases a year, except on food which is the majority of my expenses. My wife loves spending money on trinkets and useless junk that ends up sitting on a shelf, in a drawer, or getting tossed in the trash. Just trying to find ways to get her to stop being emotional about money and materials and see reason.

Either way, glad to be here and learn what I can to slow the money drain.

Freedomin5

• Stubble
« Reply #2451 on: October 25, 2015, 06:49:55 AM »
Hi, I'm FreedomIn5. Hope to gain FI in 5 years.

MrDelane

• Stubble
« Reply #2452 on: October 25, 2015, 04:46:23 PM »
I've been lurking on here for quite a while now and figured I'd finally register.
I really put my best foot forward by registering with a typo.

Is there any way a Mod could change my username to MrDelaney instead of MrDelane?

If so, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Thanks.

pekklemafia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2453 on: October 25, 2015, 04:51:09 PM »
Hi everyone,
I've been a MMM lurker for several months now, and have finally decided to join in on the conversation. I'm also new to posting on forums in general, so this is slightly terrifying...

A little about myself:
- age 29, living with my awesomely frugal partner of the same age in Canada
- I'm a pharmacist and my partner is in grad school, working on his phD... take home income is close to 100k. Net worth for the both of us is likely close to 250k, not including my work pension. Currently saving ~50%, but we don't budget really strictly (budgeting feeds the anxiety and guilt centre of my brain)
- We're both on the early retirement train, with a wishy-washy goal of FI age 40. Still have to work out the numbers.
- Most of our investments are sitting in mutual funds right now and it hurts my soul :( I still feel like we have a lot to learn about investing before we start doing it ourselves, although a lot of it is really logistics around how to use online investment platforms. I'm really bad with that sort of thing. I'm hoping to gain some insight as well as tips from some like-minded folks (Canadians especially!!)

I have so many interests outside of work (cooking! gardening! art! music!) that I would love to pursue further... if only I had the time! Come onnnnn FI.

full-time dilettante.

Marie13

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2454 on: October 26, 2015, 12:13:46 PM »
Hi, I'm Marie! I live in the suburban Midwest. Mid-40s, single with no kids, no pets. It's hit me recently that I really need to get cracking on retirement savings, since I only have myself to rely on. I have a pretty decent job I enjoy in an industry I've been in for 20+ years. I've got about $55K in retirement savings (rollover IRA from previous job and 401K at current job). I have a small emergency fund in a savings account.

I have about $9500 in credit card debt (one cc) and about $13,400 on a car loan (Ford Focus). Concentrating on eating out less and taking my lunch to work will really help.

geodude

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2455 on: October 30, 2015, 09:52:15 PM »
Hello everyone. I'm a 25 year old graduate student. Single, no kids, no pets, no debts! Very small mustache. Stumbled upon MMM recently but was already on this path anyway. The dream is to retire at 35 and travel the world on a motorcycle. I've taken a couple of big motorcycle trips across the US and Canada already. Will probably continue to do so in the near and distant future. Maybe I will have the opportunity to make some like minded friends through MMM!

Thanks!

Misstachio

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2456 on: November 02, 2015, 07:15:02 AM »
Hi from Michigan!

I'm a 23 year old MechE fresh from university. Born in Florida and moved north for a change of scene.

After the first few weeks at my shiny new job, I realized that spending the next forty years in a cubicle would kill my soul. Then I found Mr. Money Mustache and realized I could be free in ten(ish) years! Suddenly my vision of the future changed from office politics and TPS reports to raising my own kids and writing god-awful fiction, and all I had to do was not by a bunch of random crap. Luckily my family was frugal by necessity and gave me a good foundation to start with so I avoided amassing any debt and now most of my income is split between the FI fund and the cabin by the lake fund :)

Don't we have robots for this?

FrozenAssets

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2457 on: November 02, 2015, 04:24:37 PM »
I finally registered after several years of MMM reading and forum-lurking!  My hope is that participating actively in this community will help me to stay focused on our financial and lifestyle goals and plans.

About me: mid-30s, married 13 years, four children ranging from 12 to 1.  I've been a SAHM since our eldest was born, and my passions are homeschooling, homegrowing, homebirthing, homemaking...  Generally all things HOME.  My husband and I are both Alaska-raised; we love to camp, hike, ski, bike, fish, hunt, and anything else outdoorsy.  We have a golden retriever, a fat ragdoll cat, and 10 spoiled rotten chickens.  :)

xdan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • If not for Pete I'd still be in a cubicle
« Reply #2458 on: November 03, 2015, 11:07:28 AM »
A few years ago I was working as a contractor in Afghanistan (doing computer support type work).
I was fortunate enough to be making more money then I knew what to do with (hazard pay and overtime really stack up) and blowing it on silly things like extravagant vacations and a gigantic new house. I was actually trying to decide how to option my new porsche when I got home when I discovered MMM.

Needless to say, it was a complete eye opener for me. I read the entire blog from start to finish and started to make FIRE plans. I put all my money into Vanguard index funds and underwent an epic frugal transformation.

When I burned out with the overseas work I came back home and sold my big house, moved back to my old condo (which I had previously converted to a rental) and used the proceeds from the house to completely pay off the condo's mortgage. At this point I was theoretically FI but using a more conservative withdrawal rate (I'm not comfortable with 4%) meant that the lifestyle was a bit too austere for my tastes. I was fortunate enough to meet my future wife at this point, and she has been amazingly supportive of me through all this (though she is a bit jealous of my man-crush on Pete).

So 1 year ago I went back to work as a Software Engineer, but this time it is for a different company that is only 6 miles from home and allows me to ride my bike to work instead of fighting rush hour traffic. I have continued to save and invest nearly everything that I've earned and now the 'stache has grown to a more comfortable level. That, combined with DW sharing household expenses with me, makes for a post-FIRE lifestyle that I am much happier with.

Yesterday I resigned from my job! I'm staying on through Thanksgiving to finish things up, but after that I am free! The paycheck is nice and it's hard to walk away from a cush job, but I just don't want to sit in a cubicle anymore. I want to enjoy my life while I am still young enough to fully do so. DW plans to work for a couple more years at least, but she plans to do the same eventually (she has her own 'stache and an admirable savings rate to go with it).

I credit MMM with completely changing my life! I would have spent the next 25 years sitting in an office but thanks to MMM, I am now retired at 39 and happier than I've ever been.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 11:11:44 AM by xdan »
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”  --Dr. Seuss

San Dawg Stubble

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2459 on: November 03, 2015, 01:27:53 PM »
Hello, I'm a recovering consumer sucka.

This is my first post after three months of reading all the articles and I've started to go back through the comments now that I have to wait a few weeks before new posts, so I've decided to become active in the MMM community.

I have never really been materialistic, but I spent the decade after college in search of the never-ending party (booze, bars, clubs, traveling the world, trying to impress girls, etc.). Meanwhile, I managed to run up triple the average American's credit card debt amount, and had a similar amount left in my student loans.  I had absolutely nothing to show for 10 years of making a really decent salary, and the worst part about it was that I knew better.  I was a finance major in college and a stock broker for a few years after, and I knew the exponential power of investing, but I did not follow the advice I gave to my clients.

Then about four years ago, I met my (now) wife and everything changed.  She didn't care about shoes and purses and she only wanted to spend time with her daughters, to the point where she walked away from a manager job because it was causing her to stay late a lot and work one-fourth of the weekends. She taught me what true happiness is, and now we love spending time with our family, not spending money unnecessarily.  Now, we have no school loans, even after I got two masters degrees from a private university over the last three years (thank you GI Bill), and no car loans or other consumer debt.  Our mortgage is our only debt, and thanks to the crazy real estate market in Southern California, my house has appreciated 45% in the last couple of years.

I am saving about 50-60% of my net pay (housing is kinda outrageous in SoCal - but we are choosing to live in a huge house with a nice view and a good school that is walking distance), and I plan to FIRE in just under 10 years.  Reading about other people pulling the trigger gives me more inspiration to lead a somewhat less-ridiculous lifestyle, and try to save more.  So thank you MMM and everybody else on here.

** Ideas for MMM articles / discussions:
1) How young, single mustachians can meet other like-minded people to start their journey to financial independence together.
2) A look at unlocking home equity through the new home appreciation-sharing companies (Equity Key in San Diego and FirstREX in San Francisco *I have no affiliation with either company*) as an alternative to HELOCs, 2nd Mortgages, Reverse Mortgages, or selling your house.

gliderpilot567

• Stubble
Hello!
« Reply #2460 on: November 04, 2015, 11:24:53 AM »
I discovered the concept of FI through happening upon the MMM blog by accident a few months ago, and it has changed my life already.

Short backstory - I lived a very facepunchworthy lifestyle for a long time, and last year everything came to a head when I realized that payments on debt were sucking up almost all of my income, leaving just a couple hundred bucks a month with which to feed my kids. And I came to this realization only after having maxed out the credit cards and being forced to spend "real money" on food. Real money of which there was very little.

Over the past year, after selling literally TONS of stuff and making many spending changes, we've paid off about $100k in debt. There is about $30k remaining besides the house, and then we're never doing that again. By next fall, we'll be positioned to save/invest 30-40% of our income, possibly more. I've been running spreadsheets and calculations and scenarios ever since I discovered MMM (which was my gateway to many, many other FI books, blogs, and resources).

Thank you - to MMM and all the other FI authors and bloggers out there. You've changed my family's life tremendously and it continues to improve. I now invite everyone to line up and facepunch me as my penance for all my past financial stupidity; following that, I am looking forward to participating in this community!!

danipani85

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2461 on: November 04, 2015, 01:27:36 PM »
Hello everybody!

I've been reading MMM for about a year and have finally convinced my husband that this is the way to go. We're paying off all our very silly consumer debt and we're tackling it like the emergency it is. We'll be done by June and then we'll only have our house to pay off. Yay!

PGailB

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2462 on: November 04, 2015, 01:40:46 PM »
Hello all:

First off, I am leagues behind many on this form regarding income and investments due to the fact that I was the primary caregiver for my mother for several years until 2012 when she passed. Those years were tough physically, mentally and financially for us both. In that time I did manage to continue to set aside as much as I could in a Roth 403(b), with employer match, and put money in a small emergency fund. I have no kids other than a sweet, goofy little pooch; she doesn't need much and won't go to college.  The only debt I have is $63K on a mortgage at 2% and $6000 on a car loan.  Actually, I wouldn't even have a car loan had it not been for my old beater giving out on me this year.

Anyway, at the age of 50 I am still looking for ideas and ways to save, invest and "catch up."   Which is why I am here.

Debonair

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2463 on: November 05, 2015, 09:46:22 AM »
Hello,

Just a 25 year old lurker who after a few months has decided to join.

I hate introductions

Dartwa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2464 on: November 05, 2015, 01:42:44 PM »
Hi everyone,

26-year-old software engineer here. Recently relocated to Boulder, Colorado from metro-Detroit, Michigan, and am in a whole heap of debt from living a typical ultra-consumer lifestyle. I've been reading MMM for 6 months or so, and am totally inspired to stop buying stuff and start buying our freedom. Bonus: I've got my girlfriend excited about early retirement as well!

I think I'm going to start a journal here to keep myself on track, with the eyes of lots of internet strangers keeping me honest.

asch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2465 on: November 05, 2015, 11:19:48 PM »
Hi,

It has been so exciting to find a whole community of people like me!  I've always been the most frugal one among my family, friends and coworkers, and sometimes it felt like everybody else was looking at me rather pityingly (like I don't know how to have fun). I just like riding my bike and find high priced cocktails to be largely overrated. I found MMM when I was doing research on Betterment a few weeks ago and I've really enjoyed reading through the blog. I'm looking forward to learning from everybody here, but mostly I'm just happy to have a place that reminds me I'm not the only one who'd rather bring their own lunch or take a bike ride instead of going to a movie.

MrRicheRelax

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Hello from the North
« Reply #2466 on: November 06, 2015, 10:09:53 PM »
Hello !

We are a mustachian family from Canada.

We've always been on something like a FIRE track, but without really paying attention to it.
Now that we have a kid we have decided to get more serious about it !

Part of it is due to finding MMM and realizing that other people like us exist.
It is great to see other people having a sane vision of money !

younggunner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2467 on: November 07, 2015, 11:29:33 AM »
hello all-

Im a 25 year old very interested in early retiring.  Aiming to achieve my goal of retirement before age 50 by taking advantage of time v compound interest.  Ive been lurking on the forum for about a year.. dropping by occasionally to read good articles and posts.  Figured I should just sign up so I can comment as well. 

FI-42

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2468 on: November 07, 2015, 03:59:46 PM »
Hi all,

I'm UK based and I've been a lurker here for a while.  I was actually directed here by a Jalopnik post.  I'm going to try and not bore you with the particulars of my life (plenty of time for that later!) but please allow me to say what has changed since I've been reading MMM.

1)   I will save 1200 GBP over the next year just by analysing and renegotiating my bills (home insurance, gas, electricity etc.)
2)   My wife now has a job – seems an odd thing to say but she is Japanese and has been grapling with the English language, but since having 'the talk' she took it upon herself to get gainful employment.  It's only temporary factory work but 90% of what she brings home goes into the pot, and will hopefully be a stepping stone to greater things.
3)   We have no more debt – in-fact we have 1300 GBP in savings and are targeting 3000 GBP the end of this year.  This is despite paying 1200 GBP to renew the wifes visa.
4)   I now eat rolled oats (and I love them, the wife thinks they are bird food.)
5)   I now brew my own beer.  The first batch of ale was absolutely steller.  For the second batch I tried a lager which wasn't so good, but I hear it improves with age.  I'm pretty sure that I'll never buy another beer from the supermarket ever again.

Financial Ascensionist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2469 on: November 08, 2015, 11:07:25 AM »
Hi, everyone.

I discovered MMM a little over two years ago.  I always thought of myself as frugal, but discovering this community gave me a whole new benchmark and opened my eyes to a more ambitious definition of early retirement.  I stepped up my game in terms of knowing where my money goes and being conscious about which types of spending was bringing me true satisfaction.  Today I feel more in control then ever.

I'm a few months away from FI and I expect to work for another two or three year, no so much for the cushion but because I want to accomplish a few great things in the work place before turning the page and moving on to my next project.

I've been lurking for all this time, but reading your stories have been very helpful and I now feel like it's my turn to contribute a few ideas of my own.  I'm glad to be here.

tenns9

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2470 on: November 08, 2015, 10:57:33 PM »
Hi all,

My wife and I are both 26 with a 1 yr old son. We are looking forward to FI, but have not really looked into how quickly we can get there. We just recently made our final payment on our $180k home and now have absolutely no debt and about 50k invested between Roth's, IRA's, and 401ks. My wife is a SAHM and I'm looking forward to the day I can join her.

We were making $2,000-$3,000 house payments/mo for quite some time and now can put that money towards ER savings now that we have ZERO debt. I'm much more interested in possibly investing into rental properties, but do not even know where to start with that so I'll be reading a lot in that portion of this forum.

taking fire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2471 on: November 09, 2015, 10:36:12 AM »
Hello,

I am John.

I found this place by searching for financial advice forums online. Looks like a really good place to spend some time!

simplyTri

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2472 on: November 11, 2015, 11:53:21 AM »
Hi!!

My name is Tri and I'm 27 years old.  I discovered personal finance, frugal living and minimalism about a year ago. Since then, I’ve paid off my remaining student loan of $12,000 and $5,000 credit card debt. I’m currently saving 40% of my income and living a very simple life in a very expensive city – Washington, DC. My rent is also about $850 and I bike to work everyday – my commute is only 10 minutes!!! I maintain a cash diet for my monthly expenses to help me stay on budget and to keep me from getting back into credit card debt.
I take out $300 in cash every paycheck (every 2 weeks):
$100 Groceries (I mostly shop at Trader Joe’s – low prices and lots of organic options!!)
$100 Eating Out/Going Out/Fun
$20 Hair Cuts
$10 Dog Food
$20 Laundry
$50 Dad – I send $100 to my Dad each month to help with some of his expenses
(I pay my reoccurring bills with my debit card – rent, cell, utilities, dog insurance and renter’s insurance)
With the cash diet, once I run out of cash, I would either take from the other categories or stop spending. I usually end up with $20-$40 left over every 2 weeks, and I deposit the extras into my savings account.

Looking forward to read and learn about investing, FI and early retirement.  I want to retire in 10 years (at age 38) and travel around in an Airstream!!

Bloodbuzz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2473 on: November 11, 2015, 03:05:03 PM »
Hi im 31 year old guy in South of England - single income no kids, no debt, little bit in savings but planning to increase that massively from now and 'do' passive investing.

Been lurking here for about 6 months and fascinated by all the stories and advice and getting inspired to start my own plan to be financially independent around age 45 (or much earlier if possible!).

Im recently made a few life changes and am now saving around 50-60% of my salary.  Looking forward to being active on the forums :D

max924

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2474 on: November 11, 2015, 07:03:07 PM »
Hi All,

Been a lurker for some time and decided to introduce myself to get the ball rolling.

I'm 31, my wife is the same age, and we a have a 1.5 year old daughter. Currently I am on Parental Leave from my job (get 9 months as other parent in Canada!) which has been awesome, and has led me to strive for FIRE.

I have read a few good books on the subject lately as well as the mmm material and have started a few things to reach my goals:

-finally invested my money into index funds chosen by me
-sold a whole bunch of crap that didnt line up with our values/goals ie. huge diesel truck etc. Selling these items alone freed up ~ $40,000 for investments
-tracking our spending down to the dollar
-in general trying to live our life more in line with our goals and values.

We live in Ontario, Canada and I am hoping i can use this forum for the many questions I have in pregressing to our goals.

M

FarmStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2475 on: November 11, 2015, 07:19:55 PM »
Hi everyone.

I have been lurking on this forum for awhile and seen alot of great ideas.

Am not looking to retire from work as most here are but move more to being able to have a small farm of my own as a full time hobby.  Think that this can help me get their.

albireo13

• Stubble
« Reply #2476 on: November 12, 2015, 05:23:53 AM »
Hi there

I am turning 60 soon. I found MMM about a month ago and find it very motivating!
I am an engineer with a good salary. My wife is a nurse who works in Boston.
We have not saved aggressively over the years. To be honest, I didn't pay that much attention to retirement savings until recently.  Now I give myself the forehead slap. I could have FIREd years ago if I had been less of a consumer.

Love this website!

marcustachian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2477 on: November 12, 2015, 01:07:13 PM »
'Lo Mustachians, I'm Marcus from New Zealand. My brother recommended MMM about 3 weeks ago and I got totally hooked on the philosophies and ideas.
I'm going to go hunting for some NZ specific investment advice on these forums.

skeeder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2478 on: November 13, 2015, 08:33:40 AM »
Hello from Michigan.

The skeeder callsign represents a (current) family of 5.  Wife and I are young (29) and have 3 amazing boys ranging from 6 to 1 years of age.  We got married very young and started our family when I finished college.  I studied finance and have a background in investments and retirement plan design.  My wife studied accounting. 

I am a "public servant" and my wife is a full-time stay at home mom, with a small jewelry business on the side.  Our life up to this point has been very financially dry. 

Our current net-worth is positive, but that is mostly thanks for appreciation of a foreclosure that we currently have on the market.  It's sale price will wipe out most of our debt lingering from college, short term CC debt to get a few items fixed on the house, and perhaps our one vehicle loan (which was unfortunately necessary since our other vehicle wouldn't fit 3 seats across the back). 

Once the house sells, our hope is relocate to a more desireable location to be closer to our church and work.  We hope to raise more food via ground and livestock.  That place (we hope) will require little work on our part (financially speaking) and we can save funds for other items: paying off the mortgage, kids college, and retiring.

If you see me posting you'll notice a few things:
I'm a minimalist.
I am frugal.
I drive a three pedal car.
I have a real winter at my location. 
I believe in eating local grown and organic foods.
I am a foodie.
I love dark beer.
I love good coffee.
I love two wheels (powered by man or machine)

« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 08:40:39 AM by skeeder »
Never cry for money because it never cries for you. -Mr. Wonderful

MisterTwoForty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2479 on: November 14, 2015, 11:34:12 AM »
Hello All.  Just like many of you - I am a long time reader and first time I signed up was today.

I was recommended to read MMM by a friend a few years ago.  I finally started about a year back and got serious about ER.

I'm in a fairly LCOLA area and have a pretty simple lifestyle.  Two income earners and no kids (yet).  I plan to be done working in the next 10-12 years.  That will put me in my early 40's.

GoSounders

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2480 on: November 14, 2015, 09:47:37 PM »
Hello Mustachians,

Hmm.  Where to start.  Well, here is the deal - I randomly landed on this blog via the personal finance subreddit, specifically the commuting post.  I read the post, and moved on to the 'Start Here' post, and well the rest is history.  That was about 2 weeks ago, and since then I've:

1) Cut cable - reduced bill from $160 to $90, and will drop another $10 once our $40 purchased cable modem arrives.  I wish we could reduce this bill further, however Comcast has a monopoly here and alternatives are all horrible
2) Reduced my cell phone plan from $165/mo to $30/mo.  I get a free phone from work but was too dumb to cancel my personal phone and my wife moved her phone to Republic.  Both of our old phones are on eBay now, and should more than cover the remaining balance on our phones (purchased on credit (0%, but still...))
3) Am in the process of reducing my auto/home insurance - don't have a solid figure, but will probably save 60% or more
4) Finally decided that my 26-mile round trip commute was not worth living in Seattle, so we met (tonight) with our Realtor sister-in-law to put our house up for sale next spring and move within biking distance of my work
5) Once we move, getting rid of the Nissan Leaf that I'm leasing, and paying off our other car (less than $5k at 2.75% APR)
6) Buying a cargo bike with a kiddo-hauler for our two youngsters so my wife can bike the older kid to kindergarten

Never in my life did I think that randomly searching the internet would so profoundly change my view on life.  I mean, holy shit, what a punch in the face.  I've ALWAYS said that I want to be financially independent, but never have I seen a more clear path than prescribed by MMM.  Kool-aid has been fully ingested, shit, I've never even posted on a forum in my life before today, but felt the overwhelming need to say thank you for providing me the toolkit needed to do what I've so desperately wanted to have since I started my professional career.  I'm very fortunate that I'm in the target audience ($100k+ income, zero revolving debt) and have the means to 'Stache cash.  I fully get it now, and am STOKED for the next 10 years! 

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
  • Live Long, Live Free, Drop Dead
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #2481 on: November 16, 2015, 03:26:11 PM »
Hello Mustachians,

Hmm.  Where to start.  Well, here is the deal - I randomly landed on this blog via the personal finance subreddit, specifically the commuting post.  I read the post, and moved on to the 'Start Here' post, and well the rest is history.  That was about 2 weeks ago, and since then I've:

1) Cut cable - reduced bill from $160 to $90, and will drop another $10 once our $40 purchased cable modem arrives.  I wish we could reduce this bill further, however Comcast has a monopoly here and alternatives are all horrible
2) Reduced my cell phone plan from $165/mo to $30/mo.  I get a free phone from work but was too dumb to cancel my personal phone and my wife moved her phone to Republic.  Both of our old phones are on eBay now, and should more than cover the remaining balance on our phones (purchased on credit (0%, but still...))
3) Am in the process of reducing my auto/home insurance - don't have a solid figure, but will probably save 60% or more
4) Finally decided that my 26-mile round trip commute was not worth living in Seattle, so we met (tonight) with our Realtor sister-in-law to put our house up for sale next spring and move within biking distance of my work
5) Once we move, getting rid of the Nissan Leaf that I'm leasing, and paying off our other car (less than $5k at 2.75% APR)
6) Buying a cargo bike with a kiddo-hauler for our two youngsters so my wife can bike the older kid to kindergarten

Never in my life did I think that randomly searching the internet would so profoundly change my view on life.  I mean, holy shit, what a punch in the face.  I've ALWAYS said that I want to be financially independent, but never have I seen a more clear path than prescribed by MMM.  Kool-aid has been fully ingested, shit, I've never even posted on a forum in my life before today, but felt the overwhelming need to say thank you for providing me the toolkit needed to do what I've so desperately wanted to have since I started my professional career.  I'm very fortunate that I'm in the target audience ($100k+ income, zero revolving debt) and have the means to 'Stache cash.  I fully get it now, and am STOKED for the next 10 years!

Welcome! I don't know that specific post, but I do r/personalfinance on occasion. If you are into biking, feel free to join us in the challenge. See my signature for the latest months challenge.
Join the cycling challenge!
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

"Mustachians rarely sit back and let things happen to them. Mustachians go out and happen to things."

Camp Mustache Canada - Sold Out Already!!

FrenchStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Planning to FIRE in 2030!
« Reply #2482 on: November 16, 2015, 08:31:53 PM »
Hey guys,

I'm from Cincinnati, Ohio. Looking forward to actively participate in this forum as I'm always reading, listening and learning about personal finance topics.  I have read through a lot of posts in the past and everyone seems genuine, constructive and helpful.

My personal situation is that I'm debt free except the house. We did that under two years following the Dave Ramsey principles like other people may have done here. I believe we are saving around 15% a month not including a 6% company match. So definitely looking forward to learning from the community to boost that. Otherwise our investments are in 401k, taxable accounts and trading accounts.

Thanks for having me.

Cheers!

HelinaHandbasket

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2483 on: November 17, 2015, 04:40:46 AM »
Hey all,

Myself and my husband are newly converted Mini-Mustashians. We're both in our mid-thirties, living in Ireland.

We were doing "really well" (by the standards we were told we should be aspiring to) up to 2010, when we both lost our jobs within the same month. Since jobs were more than thin on the ground, we made the decision to do some upskilling, and went back to college, on an absolute shoe string. Five years later, we both have honours degrees and are working steadily, albeit a little lower on the ladder than we'd like, but we're moving up :)

We have no debt at all, which makes me smile just typing it. We finally cleared the credit card earlier in the year, we have one old, but perfectly serviceable car that we own outright, and rent our home. We've bought bikes recently and I'm learning to cycle for the first time!

The plan is to buy our first place in the next year or so. We're hoping to have as small a mortgage as possible (especially given the insane house prices here) and pay it off as fast as possible.

Nice to meet you all :)

krimsonstaned

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2484 on: November 20, 2015, 09:23:23 AM »
Hey everyone,

Been Trolling MMM since earlier this year.  I'm one of those who read every post since the dawn of time over about 4 months and it changed a lot about how I view my life now.

About me:

1. Engineer 31, 35-yo SAHM wife, 2 kids- 5 and 2, 2 dogs,  3rd kid is planned for 2016, then done.  Paid off 30k in student loans for the wife back in 2011-2012 and went through a part-time MBA program from 2012-2014 (loved the program, but really was a checkbox for a career promotion I got in 2013).

2. No debt except mortgage

3. 2 cars 2002 Saturn (150k miles) and 1998 Honda (200K miles). These will be kept till they implode.

4. Getting ready to move into LONG TERM home at a little over $200k on a 30 year mortage. Will be at 20% loan to value when our first house sells. It's a drive to work, but it's safe and out in the country like my wife wants.  We homeschool and live in Oklahoma City, OK so the country is not necessary but helpful.   Every place you need to go is almost assuredly driving distance, but all of our family is within 8 miles of this house so moving  to a new state is not an easy thing to bring up. This was a tough decision but it's within walking distance from our church and it's in a good community.  Looking for new jobs that could be bike distance from this new house.  Enough with the rationalization.

5.  Have a little under 1 years worth of salary in 401k and IRA, and a 3 month emergency fund (this needs to grow after the new house gets bought).

6.  Have a goal to be FI in 15-20 years, but I'm thinking this new house will allow us to live more frugally without feeling much burn so I think 10 might be possible.

7. Love woodworking, learning some remodeling skills(need more training) and love cars of all kinds but really dream about having a cheap beater Miata to trash on some windy roads.

8.  Hoping to learn from and contribute to this community.  Glad it's here.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 09:25:48 AM by krimsonstaned »

ArtX

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2485 on: November 20, 2015, 04:44:26 PM »
Hi, I'm Artur
I work, invest, trade, loose and make money... recently I started making more than I loose, I can even say a lot more, although it took some costly mistakes to learn how to do it. Also I love photography and travelling and hope to learn snowboarding this winter. What else? Well, anyway, i just stopped by to say hello

JRB_NW

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Retired and traveling
Hello from overseas
« Reply #2486 on: November 20, 2015, 07:00:41 PM »
Hi,

I'm from the US Pacific Northwest, currently living in, and exploring SE Asia. Love this website and the values espoused.. although it took me some years to learn the lessons..

I retired a few years ago, at age 57. I already was debt free, owned a home in the suburbs, and had a 401K, but it had not occurred to me until then that I could actually retire. My mom had recently passed and a small inheritance gave me enough to make the numbers work. So I did. I had some personal things I had put off, and wanted to work on, so it was helpful to have more time and freedom.

I had spent most of my working career in IT, with the exception of a five year hiatus during which I developed some vacant land in the SF Bay Area a decade ago. IT always pays the bills but it can be boring and without a sense of purpose over time.  Once I retired, I made some other investments such as buying a second home in a mountain community, thinking I would retire there, but for health reasons it wasn't working out, so I rented it.

I started traveling and eventually rented my primary home as well, finding the income too good to pass up. I'm currently living in the Philippines and exploring the region. Since both homes are located in prime areas, the income is pretty good and allows me to live here in a less expensive country without drawing down my remaining investments. I enjoy travel, cycling, photography, and.. internet communities, lol.

Looking forward to participating in the forum.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 07:04:06 PM by JRB_NW »

elyay

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2487 on: November 20, 2015, 08:52:47 PM »
Hi, I'm Jelena. Unfortunately, the responsibility of caring for the financial future of my family has fallen on me, and I'm freaking out. I may have to grow mustache and a few hairs on my chin just to get going.

MortlakeTheCat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2488 on: November 21, 2015, 09:40:17 AM »
Hello everyone,

And greetings from England, where it's starting to get cold now. 

Spent the last few weeks reading the MMM blog from the first entry.  I'm a latecomer to sensible living - I'm 45.

On the plus-side, I have a reasonably well-paid job (which I pretty much hate), some rental income, and about 75 per cent equity in my house, thanks to the crazy South East property market.  Monthly incomings are greater than outgoings, so I'm not sliding towards disaster.

On the down-side, the mortgage is £200k plus, and about £12k on credit cards (all at zero per cent).  This after an adult life of irresponsible spending (nothing wasted on drugs or gambling, just "stuff", and a few too many beers).

So MMM is giving me hope - to get rid of the debt, the mortgage, and teach my kids to live sustainably.  Thanks dude, and good luck to fellow believers!

S

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2489 on: November 21, 2015, 01:54:00 PM »
S reporting in. I hope to lower my taxes (they're currently about 10x my spending) since I'm pretty sure I can be more efficient with my money than the government.
For those interested, more details are in my case study (http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/case-study-where-to-downgrade/).

TheMillenialManager

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Millenial Manager
« Reply #2490 on: November 21, 2015, 09:25:08 PM »
Hey Everyone,

I'm just another millenial trying to change the reputation of my generation and live frugally. Glad to be a part of the community!
Helping millenials earn, save, and invest @ TheMillenialManager.com

Diogenes

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Of the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
« Reply #2491 on: November 21, 2015, 10:57:22 PM »
Hello to all,

About myself.

Wife and I have been married for 26 years.   My  wife runs the books for the family and has become a recent enthusiast for YNAB software.  It is working pretty well for us.  Now that we are tracking our expenses so much better than before we have come to the conclusion that within a short amount of time we will have some money to invest.   We currently both have IRA's via our employers and overall they are performing acceptably.  I have one investment that I may change as it seems to be generating management fees better than it generates growth.   

With all that said my wife encouraged me to visit this site and I like what I see.  Getting registered was a trick but I managed. 

Looking forward to learning how to better save and invest for our future.

Best wishes to all,

Diogenes

OHfire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2492 on: November 22, 2015, 05:36:07 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I'm a 22 year old millennial living in the midwest and I really love the idea of FI and the freedom it allows.

Already learned a lot from lurking on these forums, looking forward to posting along my journey!

cicadasong

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2493 on: November 22, 2015, 11:21:25 PM »
Hi folks!
I'm a third culture kid recovering from student loan, cc, and car loan debt. Before finding MMM I paid off a good 17k in debt, not counting minimum payments to my student loans. I'm making some big changes in the next few months. Anyone in Vegas, please send me a message and maybe we can meet up!!

syednaeemul

• Stubble
« Reply #2494 on: November 23, 2015, 02:02:54 AM »
Hi I'm Syed,
27, Australia, and in project management consulting.

mairuiming

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2495 on: November 23, 2015, 06:42:56 AM »
Hi,

I am Ravi. Living in Delhi (India).
I am 31 yr old, mechanical engineer.

Started reading MMM few weeks ago and has changed the way I looked at my financial life.

Worked for 5yrs (2006-2011) and decided to take an expensive full time MBA degree oversea (2012-2013) on student loan (14% interest rate). Good experience but kicking myself after reading about FIRE.

My personal targets:
Student loan: repay by end-2016
Home loan: repay by end-2020
FI: Try to achieve by age 45 (even if I am FI by 50 it will be at least 10 years earlier than most people). Great motivation.

brianw

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2496 on: November 25, 2015, 07:26:56 AM »
Hi my name is Brian from South Africa (Benoni specifically)
when i told my wife about this great blog she reminded me that we have been doing 'it' since 1995. so i am happy to find my fellow tribe members across the globe

To begin, begin- William Wordsworth

brianw

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2497 on: November 26, 2015, 06:37:31 AM »
It is comforting to know that there are so many like minded people out there.

The ideas espoused here are a breath of fresh air.

came across this quote ... thought it cool
Ideas are far more powerful than guns. We don't allow our enemies to have guns, why should we allow them to have ideas?
 Joseph Stalin
To begin, begin- William Wordsworth

merry1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2498 on: November 28, 2015, 06:41:29 AM »
Hi, I'm a fifty-something recovering from a bad divorce. A year ago I had nothing but debt and an alcoholic spouse on a certain road to financial disaster. Today I have saved about $20,000 in a 401k, almost paid off a small house in a retirement community in Mexico, a fixer-upper that I fixed up, and drive a long paid-off 2001 MBZ. I did this all before I found MMM.

I'm doing some goal-setting and want to reach financial independence within 5 years. I'm looking for like-minded folks, and this looks like a vibrant and active community.

Erica

• Bristles
« Reply #2499 on: November 28, 2015, 07:43:46 PM »
Hello

Hopefully I am doing this right :). My name is Mary and I live in Northern California with my husband. He is a Contractor. I work outside the home and with him also sometimes. Our 24 year old son also lives with us. He is almost finished with his Degree in Exercise Science and works for one of the largest Tech companies from his bedroom.

We enjoy mostly things which are free- cycling, gardening, church, or anything outdoors. My husband fixes our cars and pretty much almost everything in our house. Where we live, we are very odd as most everyone is very wealthy and pay for most everything.
But we hope to move about 30 min away after we finish doing hospice for my FIL.

Thank you for the opportunity to be a part of this community. I look forward to interacting with you all :)

Mary

Monique