Author Topic: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself  (Read 530600 times)

stoski

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself
« Reply #2350 on: August 24, 2015, 09:43:10 PM »
Hello Folks!

I ran into the MMM blog about 6 months ago totally by accident. It was good timing because my wife and I had just paid off a big line of credit and started making extra payments on the mortgage. Currently we are hoping to be mortgage free in two years, and start really stashing it after that.

The blog has really helped us to define our financial goals in a practical way, with the focus on our savings percentage and 25 times that as a rough and ready retirement number. Thanks, MMM, for your badass laser beams cutting through the fog with goals we can achieve (with a little "voluntary discomfort"). It's more fun now that we know what we're aiming for.

MaybeBecca

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Miss Making
« Reply #2351 on: August 25, 2015, 07:17:24 AM »
Hi, I'm Becca.

Not sure how I found MMM (probably Reddit), have read the whole deal from start to finish, some things way more than once.

Now, I'm trying to get out of my cubicle hell and into financial independence as soon as is reasonable for my situation. 22, married, we'll be paying off the $20k of high interest student debt by the end of this year, then focusing on getting rid of PMI on our mortgage next year (probably one of our worst financial mistakes... Ah well). Excited to best my financial demons.

loyalreader

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2352 on: August 25, 2015, 02:41:53 PM »
Hi all. Happy to have found this site a few months ago.

I'm 45 and have been divorced for over 4 years. Money was a factor. Mostly the inability to communicate about it (shared responsibility) but also irreconcilable differences in our world views about what it means to live well. I've read a few posts so far where other readers are struggling, and I can empathize.

Post divorce found myself living a Mustachian lifestyle, w/out even knowing that was a thing. Bought a bike and started using my car less. Have been w/out a tv (and cable) for years and haven't looked back. Maxed out 401k savings. Was able to save enough to put 20% down on a nice but moderately priced house that puts me 3 miles from work.

Got laid off and rehired by the same company this February (kept the generous severance package... cha-ching!) and it really got me started thinking about how I could retire early. Found MMM and... face-punch...

- paid off reasonable but gas-guzzling suv and bought a 2010 Honda Fit (manual, of course)
- dumped extra severance and car $ into newly opened Vanguard accounts
- set up auto pay to same, increasing my savings rate to about 40%
- called phone company and internet company to get reduced rates (looking at Republic as an option for when my current phone dies)
- started biking to work more frequently

All in all this site has been an inspiration and I look forward to enjoying the sage advice of fellow posters.

Karina

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2353 on: August 25, 2015, 11:46:53 PM »
Hi
My name is Karina. I am freshly divorced and starting a new life. I want to be financial independent, so there is a lot to learn.

Fishindude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2354 on: August 26, 2015, 06:17:52 AM »
Hi -
55 Year old guy from the midwest. Happily married 30+ years, kids are raised and on their own and life as an empty nester is good.
We have done well, own a business, lots of real estate, carry no debt and are financially secure.  Going to part time work soon, then full retirement in a  few years.
Looking forward to a whole lot more free time to spend fishing, hunting and generally goofing off.

Enjoying life and want to continue earning money with assets as well as preserve things to pass on to next generation and make their lives a little easier.
Can probably learn a thing or two here, as well as lend a little advice.

Thanks!

PFHC

• Pencil Stache
  • Busy doing.
« Reply #2355 on: August 26, 2015, 08:00:51 AM »
Howdy. :)

35, married to my fun adventurous grounded best friend. Two absurdly awesome squids, 5 and 3. Debt free, but not mortgage free. Stubble stash haver, but getting better. Even with the stubble, 7 years out from FI. When the stash comes in, that could get better.

Started maximum stash spending habits as a young 20 yr old. Never had good saving habits. Lived an awesome life on pennies and never cared. Went to college at 25, graduated, got a great job, acted like an excited dumbass and bought a ton of dumb shit I never needed, got married, had squid #1. Started with $20k savings and ran a $500/mo deficit until I was a maximum sukka with $280,000 debt and $500 cash in the checking account.

Some intense shit went down, we got out with our credit intact, and our asses chastised. Got hired for an insane job, moved, and started over, stubble stash style. Four years later, our financial situation is significantly better, but we can get a lot better on our spending and exploring other money making schemes (see my other post). That's why I'm reading MMM straight through and why I subscribed here to learn from all you bad asses.

Psyched beyond psyched to be here collaborating with all of you. :)

Would love to hear from some fellow Maine mustachians, especially the midcoast region.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 12:47:52 AM by PFHC »

Tigerpine

• Stubble
« Reply #2356 on: August 30, 2015, 06:25:19 AM »
Hello, I'm Tigerpine.  I found MMM through Yahoo! of all places.

MMM seems to coincide with my own thoughts about money, although you might not think that given my current financial situation.  But the past is done, and I'm trying to learn from it and do better going forward.   Honestly I had never thought about ER until finding his blog, and I may not be able to achieve that with the time I have left, but at least I should be able to achieve a good retirement when that day does come.

The best piece of advice I've gleaned from MMM:  reduce your spending.  Spending is the biggest obstacle to FI.

Thank you for letting me in the fold!

Jupiter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2357 on: August 31, 2015, 03:48:28 AM »
Hey guys, (please note wages and prices in australia are a lot more than in the US so if anything seems crazy... that's why)

I'm a 21 year old guy from Australia who plans to retire at 30. (I use different names on all forums I visit and am an identity protection freak). Before you guys say "yea right!" know that I've been following the MMM way since I started working at 18 without even knowing about the existence of this site. I've got a full time job 39 hours per week earning 36K per year after tax plus 2 smaller jobs bringing my total working week to around 60 hours (which sure I'm not happy about but through saving 80-90% of my total income I will 100% retire by 30 with approx 1 million net worth.

How much have I saved? More than I've earned (thanks to the forex world which is risky and something that I'm slowly withdrawing my capital out of). My net worth was 150K last week but due to a bit of a "crash" (a trade went bad with the EURUSD as it rose up like crazy for days) I'm now at 145K. Looking at the big picture though my forex investment earns me decent money and that $5,000 was only a lose of 2 months of profit. Looking on a month to month basis 95% of time I'm making money although I'm pretty keen on taking it out bit by bit as it grows. 80K of my capital is in forex (which has grown to 105K but I'll be withdrawing 40K when it gets to 120K). The other 40K is in a property (585K 1 bedroom ground floor unit) - yes.. property prices suck around sydney.

I am making repayments on my property (loan isn't fixed) which I bought to host a business from which will earn me 1-3x more (depending on amount of business) income that I earn at my current job.

calimom

• Bristles
« Reply #2358 on: September 01, 2015, 08:09:25 PM »
Hello, all! I found the blog in a roundabout way and have been reading here for a bit, finally joined and started posting, but thought it would make sense to introduce myself.  In order to do so, I need to back up a bit to the summer of 2007:

Life was pretty sweet.  I'd been married to my lovely and handsome DH for almost 7 years.  We had a then 14 year old daughter from his earlier marriage and our son had just turned 5, and our baby daughter had just had her first birthday.  DH worked as a software developer for a midsize firm in San Jose and by mutual agreement after child #3 was born, it was decided that I'd be a SAHM for a few years.  The software salary was pretty decent, and although we paid a freakishly high rent for a small ranch house in Menlo Park, we were still living below our means and had a reasonable stash, which included the proceeds of a little condo DH had owned before we married (we outgrew it), wedding presents, bonuses, etc.  We'd hoped to purchase a house, but the Silicon Valley real estate climate was crazy.

And then DH was killed by a drunk driver on his way home from work one night.  Nothing ever prepares you for such a shocking, life altering event.  At the age of 31 I was a widow with 3 young kids. (the driver, btw, is still in prison, serving the remainder of a 10 year sentence)

So, to fast forward over some unpleasant emotional and legal stuff,  I was faced with the decision of what to do.  Stay in expensive Menlo and get a job at Google or Yahoo?  Or move elsewhere with a much lower COL and move forward?  At the urging of relatives, I chose Door Number Two and packed up my kids, our Rottweiler, bunny and kitten into the newly purchased Passat wagon (that replaced the car destroyed in the crash)  and headed up to a small corner of California where we moved into a 1970s house on 3 acres, bought at a distressed price from owners going through their own financial crises.  Remember:  2007.

Regarding finances, the news was not dire, but it wasn't great.  We were underinsured.  DH had a life policy through his work that paid out a year of his current salary.  There was that.  He had a smaller policy through our credit union for $50K, so there was that.  From State Farm, our auto insurance carrier, there was a payout for the car, and because of the due diligence of my dear mother, a death benefit for Uninsured Motorist (which the other driver was) deep in the fine print.  Another $100K from that came about 6 months after our move.  DH had about $30K in a rollover IRA, payable to me; and my own was around $8K.  In addition, the kids were eligible for Social Security Survivors' Benefits, to the tune of, at that time, around $2500 per month.  No real debt, though the house purchase and moving expenses were quite a hit.  DH's company paid our health care premiums for a year, and then I'd be on my own.

I've heard of worse stories in my years of widowhood, to be sure.  There was some breathing room, and I am to this day grateful for that.  But even living a frugal life, I worried about basic living expenses for so many years, college costs, and in the future, my own retirement.  I knew I needed to work at some point, but at what?  After a few halfhearted job interviews that were so depressing - one job was so low paying that after daycare for a toddler, and aftercare for my son, would have COST me money, I stumbled upon, by sheer luck (and I was needed to a bit at that point) on a small business was for sale.  It was so perfect for me, a tropical interior landscape company.  I actually had had experience as a floral designer so was able to pick it up pretty quickly.  The owner was selling because she and her husband were FIRE to Hawaii.  She felt her clients and part time employee would be in good hands with me and with a small down, allowed payments for 18 months.  And it fit in with kids' school schedules, the baby was only in need of care a few hours a day. 

Fast forward, if anyone's still reading, to today.  I still have the little company, and have "grown" it (horticultural humor) somewhat, and I enjoy it very much.  With some of the life insurance, I purchase, along with a relative, a duplex and entered the landlord biz.  We are in the middle of a flip of a townhouse, and should do pretty OK with that.  The other $$ I've been able to finally invest - it took awhile to figure out what to do.  The kids are all bigger:  9, 13 and the oldest just graduated from art school, where she went on full scholarship.  I'm so proud of all of them, and their dad would be too, if he could see them now.  Rebuilding a life after a tragedy is hard, but can be doable.  We're an active family who hikes, bikes, camps and enjoys the beauty of Northern California on a regular basis. 

Moving into the future I want to sort out my options regarding investment strategies, frugality while living well and enjoying this rebuilt life I've been given.

Whoever stuck around to read this, thanks.  I think I needed to get it out there.  I've been enjoying reading some of your stories and hearing solutions, this is a very helpful place on the interwebs.

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
  • Kermit is like a box of chocolates
« Reply #2359 on: September 01, 2015, 08:09:59 PM »
Hi Everyone!
You missed the second part of the post. You said hi!! That is amazing, but I'd love to hear more things.

tbc...

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #2360 on: September 01, 2015, 09:57:41 PM »
Calimom, you have my most deepest sympathies. Nothing can ever prepare you for anything that horrible, but I am heartened to hear of you and your families success. Thank you for sharing.

SleepyHeadP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2361 on: September 02, 2015, 10:49:19 AM »
Howdy, SleepyheadP here.

I'm a 30 year old newly married lady who lives in the ridiculously expensive SF. Moved here with my man back in 2011 for a game gig. Stayed there till this year and was laid off with a decent package. Used that to pay off all student loans that I and my estranged mother took out and am looking at a debt free situation. However I have yet to find another job 6 months since the lay off and I'm starting to finally dig into my savings to help cover rent and other living expenses.

The job I had was pretty stress inducing and despite it being a good thing of not being there anymore I've been pretty aimless with my career now. I'm not sure if staying in the game biz is what I want and if not then what is it that I want (or really think I can pull off). Needless to say the whole losing job/jobless/aimless situation hasn't helped my mental state at all and I have been depressed for a while now.

So I'm going to start actually posting here and hope to gain some type of wisdom to get unstuck from my current situation.

MrsPrettyInPink

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2362 on: September 02, 2015, 07:38:48 PM »
Hey Y'all!

Mid-westerner from Ohio here!  Stumbled upon MMM somewhere between finance blogs and Dave Ramsey forums.  Lots of motivation and activity here and I like it!

Currently working through 26K of consumer debt and also 80K of student loans (undergrad/grad combined). 

Nikki

Feminine Mustique

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2363 on: September 03, 2015, 10:18:08 AM »
Hi! I've been interested in simple living and early retirement for years. Then my husband and I had a couple of kids and I fell asleep for several years. I'm just waking up and wondering how we ended up in this larger-than-we-need home in the suburbs, with me driving a big ole SUV.

I guess I haven't been asleep entirely, because in the interim I've managed to launch a modest freelancing career that enables me to be here when my son gets off the bus, and though I'm barely making enough to cover my daughter's preschool, I've always wanted to be a writer and I still can't entirely believe I'm getting paid to do so. My hope and expectation is that my career will continue to grow, and in a few years when my daughter is in public school, that $ will be stashed away.

So I'm trying to get my lifestyle more aligned with my values, and finding this community very inspiring. I'm also trying to get my husband on board, as he has a stressful job. But he is much more focused on what he wants in the moment and less able to see the benefit of saving more now. It's a big tension between us.

surlygirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2364 on: September 03, 2015, 11:09:40 AM »
Hi everyone,

I'm a 38yo divorced single mom of a 13yo DS trying to figure out my way to FIRE.  I was introduced to MMM through the Dave Ramsey forums a few years ago.  Though I know that folks here aren't usually a fan of DR, there are a lot of DR followers who are also Mustachians :). 

I live in the Denver metro area, and used to work in Firestone, the neighboring town to Longmont where the MM's live.  I kept hoping to see Pete riding his bike down the streets of DT Longmont, but never had any luck. I work in IT and am currently a Director at a software company.

I'm the kind of person that loves the encouragement and inspiration from a community, and I'm hoping that y'all can help me kick it up a notch and turn my dream of FIRE into a reality.  I make a good 100K+ salary, but am a bit locked into a living situation that's not very conducive to the Mustachian lifestyle due to the kiddo and proximity to XH.  However, the end is in sight when DS goes off to college in a few years and I can downsize from my current behemoth 1500sqft 3br/2ba home (totally ridiculous for 2 people!) that's 20 miles away from where I work into something better sized and more centrally located.  There's plenty I can do in the meantime to get me closer to the day when I can kiss corporate America goodbye and set my own schedule.

Despite my screen name, I'm neither grumpy nor surly, just a fan of Surly bikes. 

My only debt is the mortgage, and I've hit the "normal" guidelines of having double your annual salary in retirement savings by age 40, but now need to focus on non-retirement savings for income between ER and when I can tap into my retirement funds.

I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 08:14:15 AM by surlygirl »

kittenwhiskers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2365 on: September 03, 2015, 07:57:23 PM »
Hi, I'm Heather, and I love kittens. I'd like to retire early so I can spend all my time fostering kittens. Or whatever else sounds good at the time. :)

heitzrun

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2366 on: September 04, 2015, 06:00:57 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I'm Bill, Married w/ one 2 year old and one on the way.  We've been doing Dave Ramsey for 5 years. They took down their forums so now we're Mustachian's. We're finishing up 23k in student loan debt.  We live in a small town in Minnesota.

I like the articles on the blog.  I guess we're looking for support and ideas.

MrsPrettyInPink

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2367 on: September 05, 2015, 06:39:13 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I'm Bill, Married w/ one 2 year old and one on the way.  We've been doing Dave Ramsey for 5 years. They took down their forums so now we're Mustachian's. We're finishing up 23k in student loan debt.  We live in a small town in Minnesota.

Hi Bill! 

I was very shocked to see the Dave Ramsey forums go down.  I see that directed everyone to their Facebook group. 

Welcome aboard and congrats on the family!

surlygirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2368 on: September 08, 2015, 07:54:20 AM »
Sounds like we have a few people here who are looking for another forum since the TMMO forum shut down.  Glad to see a few names I recognize :)

burkevalocks

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2369 on: September 08, 2015, 05:21:57 PM »
Hey everyone my name is Alex I am new to this forum but I cant wait to contribute to you all, and hopefully help me out when I need it.

ender

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2370 on: September 08, 2015, 05:24:38 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Small town in MN huh? :)

I did the Dave Ramsey --> Mustachian journey a few years ago myself and an from a not-so-small town in MN origianlly.

MsChewieBear

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2371 on: September 08, 2015, 06:00:47 PM »
Hey, everyone. My husband and I hit a very rough financial patch due to some serious medical problems I had in 2012 (no emergency fund, so we ended up putting necessary expenses on credit cards because I was in the hospital and couldn't work), and we are still trying to dig our way out. Wish I had found your site about five years ago. We're slowly making a little progress, but I'm looking forward to learning more. I have been loosely following Dave Ramsey, but his website no longer has forums, and I tend to do best when I have a network of people I can talk to about certain topics.

Tigerpine

• Stubble
« Reply #2372 on: September 08, 2015, 06:07:21 PM »
Good luck, MsChewiwBear!

Credit card debt is hard to get out of due to the high interest rates, but it's good that you're making progress!  I wish you and your husband the best!

MsChewieBear

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2373 on: September 08, 2015, 06:21:07 PM »
Thanks so much!

PFHC

• Pencil Stache
  • Busy doing.
« Reply #2374 on: September 08, 2015, 07:06:40 PM »
Hey, everyone. My husband and I hit a very rough financial patch due to some serious medical problems I had in 2012 (no emergency fund, so we ended up putting necessary expenses on credit cards because I was in the hospital and couldn't work), and we are still trying to dig our way out. Wish I had found your site about five years ago. We're slowly making a little progress, but I'm looking forward to learning more. I have been loosely following Dave Ramsey, but his website no longer has forums, and I tend to do best when I have a network of people I can talk to about certain topics.
Wlecome, MsChewieBear! I'm still a new guy, but there is tons of good info here and the posts I made have gotten great responses. Best of luck with your debt. Follow the things you learn here and it will be gone in no time!

Urchina

• Stubble
« Reply #2375 on: September 11, 2015, 12:58:21 AM »
Hi! I'm Urchina. I live in coastal Southern California with husband and kids, have two part-time jobs that I enjoy, and currently use MMM (as well as the RE forums) as a vaccine/antidote to the, ahem, somewhat incredible consumption patterns present (though not universal) in my current hometown.

I enjoy my work so thoroughly that I'm not sure I'll ever retire (adjunct faculty at a community college -- such an awesome job!), but I think my husband may want to stop working eventually, so we'll plan for that.

Onward!

mmuhlenkamp

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2376 on: September 11, 2015, 01:15:17 PM »
Hello all, I've been reading the MMM blog for a little while now and starting to lurk in the forums (so much info everywhere!).

I'm nowhere near full on Mustachian, but this site has challenged me to think more about what I spend my money and how I'd like to get to where my husband's work is optional (mine kind of is already). I work part-time from home (graphic designer/photographer) and my husband is a full-time engineer type. Me being part-time helps cause I take care of most of the chores and house maintenance, and make a bit of extra money when I do have work. We live well within my husband's means and have zero consumer debt.

I'm not great with investing type stuff (my eyes glaze over once that's mentioned) so I'm more concerned with getting more paid off on our mortgage and student loans paid off since those are things that are more tangible to me.

We have a decent savings account and we've gotten to a point that when something breaks or needs fixing on the house it's not a huge deal because we have the money for it already. The peace of mind with being more financially stable (if not quite totally free from the rat race) is a great gift to ourselves.

I look forward to learning more and hopefully I can give back some advice as well :)
Just keep swimming.

mies

• Stubble
« Reply #2377 on: September 12, 2015, 08:20:17 AM »
Hello!

I don't have any dramatic turnaround stories as my wife and I have generally avoided debt . My wife and I never had any student loan or credit card debt and my wife paid off her car about a year ago which leaves us with only our mortgage. Mostly I have been waking up from a slumber where I wasn't paying much attention to how our finances worked or where our money was going.

My interest in personal finance was piqued in April when I became frustrated with how slowly our mortgage payoff was going. I found an amoritzation calculator online and was appalled by how long it would take us to start paying more in principal than interest each month. I took a look at my savings account at my brick and mortar bank. It was paying pennies every month for a pretty decent chunk of cash. I moved most of it to a higher yield online account and threw a large chunk of it at my mortgage. I reduced my interest burden on the mortgage quite a bit, and earn much more on my emergency fund money. After that, I forced myself to examine some other parts of my finances that weren't optimized. I signed up for a rewards credit card. I have been in the habit of paying for everything with a credit card anyways. If I have to pay for boring stuff like groceries, gas, or unexpected repairs, I might as well earn a few extra bucks back every month. 

With all the money I threw at the mortgage, we were able to refinance to a better rate and shorter term. We went from a 30 year 6.24% mortgage to a 10 year 3.39% mortgage with the same monthly payment. I did all of this before I found Mr. Money Mustache mind you. It was nice to find a blog and forum that confirmed that I was on the right track to getting out of debt and finally being financially independent.

My short term financial goal is to get my house paid off in the next 3 years or less while putting as much into my retirement account as possible. After that, I want to work on early retirement. MMM has shown me the way forward and that I don't have to be stuck in an office job for the best years of my life. This blog and forum have been great for keeping me motivated with my goals.
Less is more.

Tessiebee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2378 on: September 12, 2015, 09:35:23 AM »
Hello all! I'm a newbie from the UK and I have been reading the forum for a while before joining. I love the open, honest and no bull attitude of the site and while its USA specific I feel a lot of the basic tenets are applicable worldwide. Thank you for everything

mitko

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2379 on: September 12, 2015, 10:42:43 AM »
Hello, I am Mitko,

I am 28, and making good salary but have not saving much. Started reading MMM blog as it was interesting and I tended to agree with the ideas, then gradually read almost all articles and got convinced that I was doing the math wrongly.

Excited to optimise my lifestyle to greater freedom. My largest costs are the rent and going out and travelling.

I actually want to do a lot more of traveling (it is *worthed* for me) and have a lot of free time for side projects, so mustachianism seemed like a fun viable way to get this.

Reading though the forum it seems that this is positive community.

I am excited to join the community :)

Mr. Michael

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Financially Alert
« Reply #2380 on: September 12, 2015, 05:43:32 PM »
Hello everyone,

So glad to join the MMM forums and see thousands of like minded individuals striving for more by living off less.

I recently took an early retirement from the normal 9-5 at age 36.  Ironically I work more now then I did before, but at least it's on passion projects of mine (family, blogging, investing, etc.). I'm fascinated by the relationship of mind and money.  I own a few rental homes, invest in dividend stocks, and P2P notes.  My equity is healthy, but cash flow is tighter now without my FT income... trying to ratchet down my monthly expenses by 30% this year.

Good luck to everyone on your journey to FI! 

xdragoox

« Reply #2381 on: September 12, 2015, 08:02:32 PM »
Howdy Y'all!

MMM has inspired me to pay down my debt.

My story: I graduated with a Biz degree from a top 10 University.
I tried to be responsible for 2 yrs: worked 8-5, bored to tears,  decided at age 26 to pursue a dream.
Moved far away from home for 6 yrs and achieved most of my dreams, but they weren't financially smart.
I had crazy adventures, pursued a passion, and learned a lot.

Now I'm divorced and in debt, paying child support and working a blue collar job. Hurrah!
I never thought my life would turn out like this.
I'm in my early 30's and wide awake now.
My kiddo is the true source of my inspiration to get outta debt and save enough to leave something behind after I'm gone.

This is where I'm at in life and I'm not ashamed of it.
I'm done making excuses and blaming others.
This is my burden and I take full responsibility for it.

The good news is that I've already made some exciting first steps, including paying off 2 credit cards, and I hope to learn from all the Mustachians on here. Onward and Upward!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 06:45:45 AM by BeardedWarrior »

GingerGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2382 on: September 13, 2015, 11:39:47 AM »
Hello everyone.

I am a separated mother of two teenagers, trying to get out of debt. Just wanted to introduce myself, and look around at everything. There is a lot here to take in!

Physicsteacher

• Bristles
« Reply #2383 on: September 13, 2015, 01:35:25 PM »
Hello Mustachians,

I'm a married 29 year old spendypants. I teach high school science in a tiny, high poverty (85-90% of students qualifying for free or reduced lunch), rural school district in Arkansas. My husband is also 29 and is a journeyman electrician. Last year our gross income was $70k, but my husband recently got a raise to $20/hour and has been getting quite a bit of overtime and I took on some extra responsibilities at school that came with a $3k stipend. Our only dependents are two cats.

We have no debts. My degree in physics at the state university was covered entirely by scholarships, and my husband's degree in math was covered by his generous parents. We own a 2011 Nissan Versa and a 2002 Ford Taurus, both of which we drive way too much. We rent but are saving for a down payment on a house within the next couple of years; we might not buy yet but want to be in a position to do so. We're also on track to max out our Roths for the year, and I will qualify for a tiny pension at age sixty even if I quit teaching at the end of this school year. Overall, we're probably doing better financially than your average Americans yet are still deserving of a ton of face punches.

Our school counselor was forced to resign three days into the school year, and that has served as a catalyst for reevaluating my relationship with money. She was a caring, dedicated person, and that didn't seem to mean anything to my employers.  Now everyone at my school is stressed out all of the time, and I think it would be drastically less worrisome if we were financially independent. I really love teaching and might not choose extreme early retirement, but I want to have the option. Few things could be as liberating as having F.U. money. Also, while my husband loves that his job consists of playing with power tools all day, he's come to the realization that older guys in his field usually either end up transitioning to office jobs or find other employment. The guys over fifty who can handle and still want to spend forty to sixty hours a week doing heavy lifting are few and far between. So I'm no longer happy with being on track to retire comfortably in our mid sixties. 

We need to stop being satisfied with doing ok, step off this hedonic treadmill, and get serious about getting our lives in order. I'm hoping the Mustachians will offer their sage guidance as we do so. (Now bring on the face punches!)

jordanread

• Magnum Stache
  • Live Long, Live Free, Drop Dead
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #2384 on: September 13, 2015, 02:19:06 PM »
Hello Mustachians,

I'm a married 29 year old spendypants. I teach high school science in a tiny, high poverty (85-90% of students qualifying for free or reduced lunch), rural school district in Arkansas. My husband is also 29 and is a journeyman electrician. Last year our gross income was $70k, but my husband recently got a raise to $20/hour and has been getting quite a bit of overtime and I took on some extra responsibilities at school that came with a $3k stipend. Our only dependents are two cats.

We have no debts. My degree in physics at the state university was covered entirely by scholarships, and my husband's degree in math was covered by his generous parents. We own a 2011 Nissan Versa and a 2002 Ford Taurus, both of which we drive way too much. We rent but are saving for a down payment on a house within the next couple of years; we might not buy yet but want to be in a position to do so. We're also on track to max out our Roths for the year, and I will qualify for a tiny pension at age sixty even if I quit teaching at the end of this school year. Overall, we're probably doing better financially than your average Americans yet are still deserving of a ton of face punches.

Our school counselor was forced to resign three days into the school year, and that has served as a catalyst for reevaluating my relationship with money. She was a caring, dedicated person, and that didn't seem to mean anything to my employers.  Now everyone at my school is stressed out all of the time, and I think it would be drastically less worrisome if we were financially independent. I really love teaching and might not choose extreme early retirement, but I want to have the option. Few things could be as liberating as having F.U. money. Also, while my husband loves that his job consists of playing with power tools all day, he's come to the realization that older guys in his field usually either end up transitioning to office jobs or find other employment. The guys over fifty who can handle and still want to spend forty to sixty hours a week doing heavy lifting are few and far between. So I'm no longer happy with being on track to retire comfortably in our mid sixties. 

We need to stop being satisfied with doing ok, step off this hedonic treadmill, and get serious about getting our lives in order. I'm hoping the Mustachians will offer their sage guidance as we do so. (Now bring on the face punches!)

Both arebelspy and his wife were teachers, and loved it. They also retired earlier this year at 30. Look into them. Also feel free to join in the Cycling challenges!!
Join the cycling challenge!
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

"Mustachians rarely sit back and let things happen to them. Mustachians go out and happen to things."

Camp Mustache Canada - Sold Out Already!!

RonMcCord

• Stubble
« Reply #2385 on: September 13, 2015, 04:52:07 PM »
Hello, I'm Ron and I want to get into the FIRE lifestyle though I make less than most here.  I graduated school with an IT degree debt free thanks to a combination of going to a local state college, scholarships, and living with my parents.  However, when I got out, I couldn't find anything in my field because every job required 3-5 years experience or were upper management positions.  Right now, I'm 25 and I work for a small local business making $16k (just below living wage in my area), and though I like the work, I still live at home and would like to eventually move out and be independent.  I read all sorts of articles and was convinced that there would be no way for me to get out of my current predicament, then I read this graphic novel called Poorcraft which teaches a lot of the Mustachian principles, and it showed me that there were other options.  So I started looking around online and found the ERE and MMM blogs which go even further and saw even more options.  I'd like to get out on my own soon and become a full-fledged Mustachian, and I'm hoping to find people who can help me get there.

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #2386 on: September 13, 2015, 06:09:12 PM »
@RonMcCord: Have you tried networking with people in your chosen field via Meetup.com or the like? That would be a great way to find out about other jobs and find out how others have moved up to better jobs. If you have a degree in IT, I have seen a lot of peeps start out in the call center. I would think you have a ton of options, I wish you luck.

RonMcCord

• Stubble
« Reply #2387 on: September 13, 2015, 06:47:25 PM »
@Thinkum: Meetup isn't really popular in my area. My boss' uncle is in software development though, and I contacted him on LinkedIn about career advice. I'm getting an A+ cert right now and that may get me a help desk job.

spiderman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2388 on: September 13, 2015, 11:31:03 PM »
Hi checking in from Plano, TX. I found this site from the bogleheads forum. I have been binge reading the posts from the beginning. We are a family of four. I thought we were pretty frugal but reading the forum and the site has opened my eyes to how much money we have been losing. Hope to learn a lot more in the coming days.

Adram

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2389 on: September 14, 2015, 06:08:36 AM »
Hi all, I'm Adam from South Australia and I found this blog a few weeks ago and am about halfway through reading all the posts from way back.

I can't remember how I found it but whoever posted the link that got me here, I am forever grateful.

We have a pretty good joint income but were only saving about 20K in our offset account per year, despite my desire to pay the mortgage off ASAP.

Upon reading the first few posts I went through my CC statement and discovered I had spent 10K in the last year just on eating out at restaurants. And that's just my card, we didn't look at hers. Other junk spending was in there also.

Since then I have cancelled our pay TV saving $74 per month, moved our insurance to save another 30 per month, started shopping together and reduced our grocery shop by about $30 per week, stopped eating out almost totally (once per week max and only at cheap places is the deal we made together) and cooking much better food at home.

Currently moving our mortgage to get a rate reduction of 0.25% plus $2000 cash back. Also looking at changing the missus' phone plan to save another $30 per month, mine is a work phone.

Have also sent off the Vanguard application last week, and cancelled some credit cards so we have only one joint card, apart from one with interest free for a year that has a 12K balance that I keep rolling over. Luckily my missus is pretty keen on retiring ASAP so we are feeling like a team.

So I feel like we are making lots of progress quickly, should be able to save $50K per year, and once the mortgage is paid off that will skyrocket.

Planning to retire in 13 years max and hopefully 10. I credit this all to MMM, so happy I found this blog. We have started cycling to the store also :)

Pinkleaf

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2390 on: September 15, 2015, 05:44:43 PM »
Hello everyone!

DH and I are mid 50's and I'm embarrassed to say, have zero set back for retirement. We did Dave Ramsey a few years ago, paid off all debt except the house and then got lazy. (I'm so dang mad at us!)

I started working with YNAB 7 months ago and seeing much improvement in controlling our spending.  I need help figuring out how to proceed on a few things but I wanted to say hi before I started asking for help.

I didn't come over from the TMMO forums but want to especially say hi to those that did!  That had to suck big time for you when you saw it go away.

InvestingforFreedom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2391 on: September 15, 2015, 09:51:27 PM »
Hello my countrymen,

Dan from Colorado. Stoked that MMM is right up the road in Longmont. I've been lurking for several months now and figured I should join the conversation.

Keep it simple for now.

therixonator

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2392 on: September 16, 2015, 10:32:46 AM »
Hello Mustachians!

I'm James, I'm from London, England. My friend recommended this site to me a few weeks ago when I mentioned some of the money saving ideas I'd been putting in place. I've been totally hooked ever since, I've already munched my way through 200 blog posts and put a few more changes in place too. I'm 35, married, no kids. We're already quite thrifty but I never imagined that I could retire so soon. This blog has really opened my eyes to the possibilities and I've already got lots of plans swimming around in my head for FIRE. I've so far calculated it as 9 years and 1 month away, but I might be able to do it sooner. There are a few choices ahead though so I'm going to post a question to the Mustachians and see what they say.

Many thanks to MMM for all the great advice he's posted on here over the last 4 or so years. You've helped so many people realise the rat trap they are in and allowed them to help themselves out of it. Really sterling work, if the Queen finds out maybe she'll give you an honourary knighthood!!

James

Jim Fiction

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2393 on: September 17, 2015, 01:13:01 PM »
Hello esteemed Mustachians!
My name, is case you hadnít gathered already, is Jim! Although contrary to the surname in my screen name I am a real, live, flesh ní blood person!

A little about me. I am married to my wonderful wife (Mrs. Fiction) and live in Connecticut. I just turned 31 last month. I am a bit late to the game in many respects, but better late than never, I suppose.

My financial picture isnít pretty, at the moment, but I have a little bit of momentum building. It took me awhile to find a career. I worked in the restaurant business for 15 years while I figured stuff out (mixed in with some personal/health issues). I wasn't making a lot of money during those years and compounding the problem was a nasty habit to overspend and a love of material goods. It took awhile but I eventually was able to sort things out. Eventually I went back to school and finished my bachelors, and I am a few months away from finishing my masters. This year I first interned and then started full-time at an accounting firm. The pay is pretty good for someone fresh out of college - I just wish I started earlier in my life - so much lost earning/saving time! Many of my peers (people in my age group) are several levels, and thus several pay-grades higher than me.

I actually found the site/blog last fall, and started putting some of the practices into place then, and was able to make some headway on my debt situation. However once I started the internship, it along with school and wedding planning sapped all of my time and drew away my focus. I still don't have much free time now, but since I have the day off to go to a wedding rehearsal later I thought I'd taken a moment to introduce myself.

I am Jim and I am back into debt-crushing mode! Nice to meet you all!

avocado

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2394 on: September 17, 2015, 07:56:24 PM »
Hello all!

I found out about this blog while reading a landlord website a couple of months ago (biggerpockets.com). I had just had a deal fall through on a rental property that I was trying to unload and was researching possibilities. While researching I heard about this site and read a couple of blog posts, did a few calculations of how much my debt was actually costing me, and then I was really bummed that the deal had fallen through b/c the cash would have solved my hair being on fire.

My monthly profit from the rental was $800/mo, whereas my consumer debt (cc's, car loan) was $1200, and if I sold (owned the house free and clear) I could eliminate ALL consumer debt and have an extra $400/mo, PLUS we would be able to get rid of our full coverage insurance ($50/mo) and just go with the state mandated coverage.

Not even 4 hours after realizing my hair was on fire, I got a call saying the deal was back on. Sweet!

In the next 2-3 weeks, my wife and I will have $0 consumer debt (we had $55K in credit cards and car loan at the start of the year). Now we can start focusing on student loans ($93,000). I bought a bike and I've ditched driving my son to school everyday, saving $10/wk in gas. My 4 yr old son now begs to go everywhere by bike, which is frickin' awesome to hear. I'm looking forward to doing more errands/appointments by bike and saving even more money.

Really excited about what's ahead! FIRE seems very, very possible!

Sjalabais

• Stubble
  • King of Chocolatistan
« Reply #2395 on: September 18, 2015, 05:31:19 AM »
Employing more senses to live life is usually cheered upon by the kids - very cool! :)

TVRodriguez

• Stubble
« Reply #2396 on: September 18, 2015, 12:48:22 PM »
Hello from South Florida.  I found this site through comments on the SimpleLivingForum.net boards, espcially from lhamo.  Nice.

DH and I have been fairly simple livers, especially compared to our peers (he's a physician and I'm an attorney).  His frugality was one of his attractions when we first met 15 years ago.  If people meet us outside of work, they are often surprised to find out what we do, as they expect more ostentatious cars, home, lifestyle.  We live in a 1250 sq ft house and drive old paid-for cars.

We had borrowed a lot for school (about $325k between us).  As soon as I'd finished paying off my student loans of $65k, I married DH 11 years ago and got started on paying off his loans of $260k, plus business loans of $65k.  Once those were gone, we switched to paying off the mortgage.  We paid off our mortgage ($335K house) in just under 10 years, with the last payment in June of this year.  That's $660,000 of debt payoff in our 11 year marriage (not counting my loans).  Our income has had its ups and downs, and we have experienced lifestyle creep for sure, but we're working on that.  Both of us work for ourselves and basically work part-time b/c we prefer a low-stress lifestyle.

We have 3 kids, ages 8, 6, and 4.  I'm 41, DH is 51.

I've found this site helpful to keep us focused, especially now that we are debt free.  It was easy to see the debt shrink and get a charge from that.  I find this site (and the simple living forums) run a strong counterpoint to the typical South Florida lifestyle of spend-all-you-earn, you-deserve-it, $300K-income-and-$0-assets, etc.  DH is a big DIYer and iconoclast, so this stuff is right up his alley.

New goals:
-fully fund kids' college funds,
-plow more $$ into retirement accounts (tax-deferred and taxable),
-reduce unnecessary spending,
-grow more of our own food,
-overall, waste less.

deathpanels

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2397 on: September 19, 2015, 09:12:10 AM »
Hey everyone,

I am new to the site but have been reading for a few years. I love the MMM writing style and the articles really cut through the consumerist mentality that drives so much spending in the U.S. I truly believe that most people in this country COULD be financially secure if we could just reign in the bad spending habits.

I have lived a sort of proto-Mustachian lifestyle since 2007, when I graduated college. I learned the importance of low spending from my father. I watched the job market slowly circle the drain from 2007 on and then crash, while my coworkers squandered their incomes on expensive cars and nightly trips to the bar. This helped to realize the wisdom of saving as much as possible, and ignoring the typical "but you deserve it!" nonsense. Since reading the blog I have started investing more while maintaining my low spending habits.

I pay more for rent now than I did 7 years ago because I live alone, but otherwise my expenses are more or less the same. I rent an apartment by myself. I am unmarried and I don't want children but I would like to be married someday... provided it's to someone who shares my goals and spending habits! :) My goals are to have enough money to work without a regular salary by age 50 (in 20 years) and to have enough money to survive another major job market crash, which I think are completely achievable by saving 50% of my income and investing it wisely.

PizzaSteve

• Bristles
« Reply #2398 on: September 19, 2015, 09:38:13 AM »
Hi Everyone.

My wife and I are veteran frugal lifestyle, financial independent minded folks who are joining the forum to hopefully contribute and inspire others.  I am 50 and completely overfunded for retirement.

We cook our own meals and live a frugal life, but perhaps need inspiration to let go of the treadmill of working for others.

At age 11 I took my first job working for my dad, who was an independent business man who would let me work to earn what I needed in our store.  He was FIRE and frugal, raising me to appreciate many things I unfortunately unlearned when I was admitted to the countries #1 business school into a very difficult and elite program.

After years in the corporate world where I constantly wondered why all the waste and stupidity, and eventually figured out that they managed businesses in ways that didn't make sense compared to my dad, I realized that he was actually the wiser and smarter person.

I have seen from the inside the completely wrong minded thinking that can grow from what I believe are some fundamentally false assumptions built into the thinking behind contemporary management practices, modern consumerism, and in some ways 'American Capitalism.'  I will share these over time with the group I hope.

The good news is that stuff I wrote about in strategy papers in the 80s is happening that changes everything.  Information distribution has been unencumbered in ways that can be a huge catalyst for social changes.

Groups like MMM offer alternative ways of thinking, build upon good old American values ranging from Yankee frugal thinking to Emerson, and even the Shakers.  These paradymes represent ideas that I think are in the right direction and I support it. 

My Personal Perspective:
* income and spending growth should not be 'our god', rather optimization of money flows to meet our operating needs.  MMM teaches that these are flexible and that 'more is always better' is a falsehood.  This is an excellent start to understanding the movement of goods, services and cash over a period of time.  Understanding these basics is important, but not everything. Income is only a means to an end and that end can be achieved more than one way.  MMM is a master of that concept.
* our companies and many families live under a 'tyranny of the income statement.'  They must grow income to meet endless demands for either growing profit or spending.  This isn't really needed.  Why not sustainable modest profits that generate happy customers and happy families?  We have forgotten the balance sheet!  A good life, society, company or family will consider the income only a tool to grow the balance.   So rather than worry only about profits, as the only measure, communities mike MMM help people recognize what is really true worth.  MMM mirrors the realization that it is actually a healthy balance sheet we are seeking.  It also recognizes that the value of that balance sheet should reflect all assets: people, information, relationships, location, utility of tools, etc. 

Too many companies fire their best people to hit a profit target.  They are destroying their balance sheet to achieve a meaningless goal!  Sadly so a few can profit.

So What is growing the balance sheet?  It is creating assets that have use and utility to our lives or our business.  Luxury brands create a false value.  truly measuring the worth of time, objects and knowledge is a key to successful lives and ultimately sustainable happiness.

Thanks for the attention. 

A bit about us: 
* live in high COLA area, but appreciate it
* make our own stock, pizza, adult beverages and many other things from scratch
* love people, but have seen all sides.  Have lived overseas and relied completely in strangers and lived it.  Have also seen corporate criminals, currently in jail, up close and from from the inside.  Life experiences that probably belong in a book.

Peace
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 09:53:54 AM by PizzaSteve »
All posts are opinions of the author subject to independent verification by the reader.  No representations of fact are asserted regarding commercial products or services.

CanaDuh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2399 on: September 21, 2015, 02:55:28 AM »
Hello -

My name is Karl, and I'm new here - both to the forums, and to the concept of actually making plans for my future. I've always been of a frugal bent, so I'm finding a lot of kindred souls in the posts as well as the MMM blog.

I'll probably be making a more personal (and detailed) post [elsewhere] to ask for input on how I might approach my own unique situation and get started at 'making my money work for me' rather than just sitting in a savings account and doing nothing.

For now, I'm glad to be here and I hope to make some friends.

Regards,

Karl
CanaDuh