Author Topic: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself  (Read 635370 times)

Mr. OTT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • One Thousand Thousands
Re: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself
« Reply #2300 on: August 02, 2015, 08:28:25 PM »
Hey everyone, I'm a long-time reader of the MMM blog.  Finally joining the forum to see if I can contribute to the discussion.  I'm early thirties and married with one kid.  We're financially secure, but have a ways to go to FI.
I recently started a blog focused on saving the average American $1,000,000 over a lifetime. 
Check it out and see what you think: http://onethousand-thousands.com/

Daox

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • EcoRenovator
« Reply #2301 on: August 03, 2015, 10:17:59 AM »
Hello, I've been reading MMM for a couple years now.  I'm 32 years old and married.  My wife and I got the money saving thing down fairly well.  We live off of basically $20k/yr plus the house payment which brings it up to more like $35k/yr.

I've saved into a 401k for as long as I've worked, but only in the past couple have I really started to push the savings higher and higher and look into other investment ideas.  We're currently on track to be FI by the time I'm 45 years old, but I'm always looking for ways to reign that in through tax optimization (loving the new forum!), extra income, or finding new ways to cut costs.

origamitect

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2302 on: August 04, 2015, 09:08:27 AM »
Better late than never I guess!  Hi! I'm Amy.  My husband and I are both 42, both careers in the building industry, both recovering from expensive divorces that left my 401K empty and paying on a LOT of debt occurred by the previous marriages.  I have $116,000 in student loans, and we owe $225,000 on our house - I have knocked out all the rest of the debt over the last 5 years including our cars.  He has an 11 year old son which I have taken on as my own.  We were both hit very hard by the recession - he is in the Sheet Metal Union and is *just now* getting to work more than a couple days a week.  I am an architect for a small firm that hired me at a discount when I got laid off in 2008 with the rest of the employees at my previous firm.  We have been working at starting a metal fabrication/design business to supplement our income.  We have until recently been doing a lot of "robbing peter to pay paul" budget shuffling - but after selling my old house we were able to pay off more debt and can now at least keep up with everything.   I found this blog when I started panicking that I had ZERO retirement savings, and very little savings of any other type, and was not seeing how we could put anything extra towards retirement.  He does have a funded pension and 401K through the union, but politics may affect its solvency in the future.  We have a steep hill to climb, and some major changes and decisions to undertake - but we're reaching for maximum mustache!   

reese_c_c

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2303 on: August 04, 2015, 09:34:48 AM »
Hi, I'm Reese
Age 29
Married w/ 3 kids (5, 2, 0.4)

Wish I would have found MMM about 10 years ago!

Look forward to taking this journey.

FrugalWad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Frugal Wad
« Reply #2304 on: August 04, 2015, 08:11:26 PM »
I'm just me
A budgeting badass
Motorcycling on a mountain pass
Connoisseur of sassafras
Watching this wad of cash
Growing in mass

When I was 21 I pulled into a gas station, on the way back from some spendthrift adventure. Second year away from home, first year with enough freedom in the military to be out on my own off base. That freedom was bought for $11,000. $11,000 isn't a huge stack of bills in itself, but by power of the alchemist mages of Bankoom, they used their awesome magic to transmute that little pile of green into a Ford Mustang. $250 a month for the car. $250 a month for insurance. Restaurants every weekend, drinking most days and nights.

After two years in the Navy, I'd earned $50,000. I pulled into that station, having to dig for change in every cranny I could find to pay for gas just to get back home. I didn't have a dollar to my name, and nothing to show for the cash gone except the clothes on my back and a car I couldn't afford to drive. By the end of that year, I was $24,000 in debt. Two years later, the debt was gone and my wad had grown to $35,000 in savings. A year after that, $50,000. The trend continues.

The pinpoint of the V from changing my downward spiral into debt and endless consuming to joining the frugal horde covers  the span of time in my life it took to read Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace Revisited, then the discovery of The Millionaire Next Door and Your Money or Your Life.

I've been a mustachian since before I knew there was a term. It just seems I've finally caught up to the rest of the awesome people who've found the same ley line to follow. This is going to be great. I hope I brought enough root beer for everyone.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 08:12:57 PM by FrugalWad »
Just a big nerd on a little budget over at http://www.frugalwad.com

theaveragearchi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2305 on: August 07, 2015, 10:36:34 AM »
30 year old architectural designer here, married with 1 kiddo.  I actually left the traditional workforce 4 years ago and started my own design firm, and my husband has always been self employed as a massage therapist.  Because of the choices we made we have actually been decently frugal, but have struggled to save, and since I've been reading the MMM blog I realize that we are losing money in some really bad places (ie. coffee out, and too many clothes and impulse buys). 

Unfortunately I came into self employment in debt as opposed to via retirement (bad choices as a student), and since I am still a part time student while working, paying off that debt has been harder than anticipated.  But over the last couple of months I've made some significant advancements in actually paying off my debt, while still maintaining a balance in my back account throughout the month.  Now the goal is onwards and upwards, pay off my entire debt in two years or less (about $20K), put more money into our investments, while actually saving for the stuff we want (like trips and new shingles for the house).

Sjalabais

• Stubble
  • King of Chocolatistan
« Reply #2306 on: August 07, 2015, 11:55:11 AM »
Overly mustachoed Norwegian with wife, two kids. I found this blog and forum and am happy to see that most matches my own financial philosophy, and it expands it. This is great - the discussions I've read so far witness a good tone and a high density of information. Still trying to decipher some of the acronyms. I am looking forward to be learning a lot around here!

TonyV.

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2307 on: August 07, 2015, 03:19:24 PM »
Hi everyone! My name's Tony (as you can see by the username attached). I found this incredible blog on Yahoo! of all things. Who would have thought that a financial link from Yahoo! would lead to such BADASSITY?! But here i am, and just in time! I'm a couple weeks away from being debt free (no house yet though) and was looking into allocating my extra money into investments as well as finance a new truck. Like i said, just in time, huh? I started reading the blog from the beginning and I have made it into the beginning of 2012 so far, which has changed my whole outlook on things such as a new truck and some other unnecessary expenses which will allow me to invest a lot more than previously planned. MMM as well as Mrs. MM have already had an impact on my thinking about consumerism and I'm just getting started! Today i actually became a member and checked out the forum. There are A LOT of people here!! lol I can't wait to actually get to know some of you through this site and maybe attend an event around my area (Topeka, KS).

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2308 on: August 07, 2015, 03:22:22 PM »
Hi, I'm MoonShadow.

You'll get over it.

P0IS0N

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2309 on: August 08, 2015, 01:40:05 AM »
Hi everyone! I'm P0IS0N.
I joined this forum after reading some really helpful blog entries and forum posts. I'm an expat, currently being courted by two IFAs, trying to push their ILAS plans (one with RL360, another with Friends Provident). I didn't wanna sign anything until I got documented about these schemes, and after reading a few posts here, I realized it's better to keep away from these things.
I'm still looking for more info on other money-saving options, so I thought I'd join the forum.

Cheers!

Need2Save

• Stubble
    • Visit us at our Blog
« Reply #2310 on: August 09, 2015, 10:25:50 AM »
I guess I've put this off for a while, but it is interesting to read through what others have said, so maybe someone gets something out of our story.

My DH and I met before we both finished College (working at the same chain-restaurant, truth be told!).  We were both raised by lower-middle class families with parents who did not go to College. We are the first ones in our families to both go to college.  I'd say our families mostly lived paycheck to paycheck but when there was a little extra cash for some reason, spending that on a family experience like a vacation was important to us (my family anyway).  My mother taught me early on (in middle school) even on modest means how she budgeted monthly and 'paid herself' first. These were 2 extremely important lessons before I was even working (aside from baby-sitting $).  At one difficult time, I know my mother collected assistance to help buy food for our family of 6 (4 kids) and she often worked 2 or 3 jobs at a time to make ends meet.  She's basically my hero!

We bought our first home together at age 23 before we got married (I asked him to marry me and we were pretty smitten with each other so confident the marriage would last).  We did get married at age 24, had our first son at 25, then quickly at age 26, son #2.  Now a-days it seems like marrying and settling down before age 25 is unheard of and many of our friends did not have children until way into their 30's or not at all.  Our sons are right on the cusp of heading off to college! 

Early on, we both detested debt!  We paid off our student loans before the two kids came around and used my last working bonus to pay off our last car loan so I could take a few years off and be home with my sons when they were young.  I would not have traded this time for any amount of income!!!  When they were both in elementary school, I returned to work and was lucky enough to find a PT gig in my field which allowed for me to be home when they got home from school (thus avoiding any day care costs).  As they aged and were able to be on their own after school, I increased to FT.  I used this time to focus on building College Savings for them, paying down our mortgage (our only debt) and working myself up the ranks at work (to earn my family more money).   DH is an Electrical Engineer and super smart and dedicated! 

If we had not upgraded to a larger house, we would definitely have paid off our original mortgage twice over by now.  But we have honestly enjoyed the bigger house and bigger yard and we love our neighborhood very much.  Although when the two sons are gone, we know this house will be more than we need so we'll be downgrading near or at ER. 

Although we are not reaching ER in our 30s (or even 40s, by some of our choices) like many here, we are projected to have more money then we will probably need by the time we call it quits and hope this legacy provides some security for our two kids and their families.   We should also be able to pay for their in-state college tuition without too much difficulty based on what we've already saved up for them. 

Despite living on only my DH's income for at least 6 years, we have never carried credit card debt in almost 20 years of marriage and always found a little extra to send to the mortgage to pay it down.  We feel extremely fortunate but also have worked very hard to earn the extra income that will allow us to both reach ER and also really enjoy life now.  Best of Both Worlds if you ask me! 

I found MMM about 2.5 years ago but only recently starting posting. We have learned a lot here and thank all of you for what you share!!!

Barbarossa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2311 on: August 09, 2015, 08:31:46 PM »
Ahoy Mustachians!

Newby here, discovered MMM just recently and devoured every single post and lots of the forum.  This is great!  I had no idea there was a collection of such like-minded folks online.  I "think" I'm doing ok, but thought I'd post and see if I can get any new perspectives.  I've lived the MMM life for the most part, I think, although I've learned a lot of new ideas here already, and I absolutely freaking love MMM's atitude. 
I'm writing this both to get input and to lay it out so I can look at it all in one picture.  So here's a quick and unorganized look at my situation:

Several years back my now ex-wife and I saved up, bought a 40 foot sailboat, lived aboard and sailed around Florida and the Bahamas for eight years.  We could live, with our son, on about $500 a month on the boat.  (We met retired folks in the Bahamas living on $10,000-$20,000 boats, less than most spend on a a car, for part of the year, while "the SS checks are piling up in the bank."  True Mustachians!)
We'd sail a while, come back and work during hurricane season, and go again.  It was great, and we'd still be doing it except life got in the way.  Elderly parents needing care, divorce, that kind of thing.  Earlier in life I quit a very good job at 30, went back to college for ten years, got a couple of degrees.  Was almost as much fun as sailing.  So I've had a nice share of my "retirement" already, in that respect.
Two grown daughters and adopted a son late in life, at 47.  One of the best things that ever happened to me, but now I'm paying child support for 7 more years. After the divorce I lived on the boat awhile in Key West, then intentionally bought a small brick house in a small town with a mild climate (next to the Smokies) across the street from a 15 mile greenway in a beautiful park that takes me downtown, library, grocery store, PO, all that, only three miles from my house.  I bike most everywhere but work.  Put LED lights everywhere in the house, added insulation, etc etc and etc.  Electric runs about $26 a month except in winter (heat) and late summer, when I run the A/C sometimes.
All this even before I found MMM!  So I think I'm on the right track.  I did lose a lot of cumulative income over the years in college and sailing.  I would be where MMM is today, solidly FI, except for those years. No regrets, though.  I haven't worked fulltime since 2004, because I believe the mantra "You can always make more money, but you can never make more time."
Now I'm 59 and I feel like I'm "this" close to being free again, but not quite there yet.  I don't want to "retire" and do nothing, I want to do things like buy plane tickets to the Bahamas now and then and maybe buy another boat in a few years so I can sail there again.  I probably could quit now and putter around the house the rest of my life on $20,000 or less a year, but that's not ok.  I'm healthy and want to travel and sail.  I also want to continue to help my youngest daughter through college, about 3 years of that to go.  That expense varies depending on her income, but I figure $5000-$7500 a year.  These are loans she will repay.
Now that I'm "older", I don't feel as much confidence quitting a job as I used to.  My profession is limited and definitely not hiring old guys.  The young guns are taking 100% of any openings that come up.  I have a decent position now, but if I quit I'm done in this field except for a little pick-up work here and there.

My finances:

Income: $90,000 a year from part-time job.  15% going into 401K, 5% match from company.  Put $6500, the max, in my Roth this year.
Savings:  $450,000.  Some in cash, some in rollover 401k, some in current employer 401k above.  Invested in stock market funds through work 401K, Fed-tax-exempt CEFs in the cash account, some high-yield dividend CEFs and I trade options in my tax-protected rollover accounts.  I've done well with the option trading the last ten years or so, but it's hit or miss, not something I can depend on to pay the mortgage every month.  I am in the process of figuring out what I'm making in dividends, etc, per year.  I have been just throwing it back into the pot.

Mortgage:  $650
child support  $780
no debt except mortgage, $100,000 on $150,000 house.  3.1% interest rate.
Mustachian vehicle, a used Toyota Rav, paid for.  I drive my cars ten years at least.

I do commute 30 miles, and I'm hoping to shorten that in the next few months.  Eat out very little.  Maybe one movie out a year.  Make my own wine.  Have made a living as mechanic, electrician, welder, carpenter, entomologist, truck driver, race car driver, roofer, plumber, heat/A/C, chemist, sailboat Captain, writer, landscaper, pharmacy owner and pharmacist.  So I'm fairly self-sufficient when it comes to fixing things.
I basically live all the MMM tricks that I know.  I do have one guilty pleasure, a street rod in the garage, worth about $15,000.  It only gets about 5000 miles a year.
I am, thanks to discovering MMM and getting inspired, now working on an actual budget.  I make more than I spend, but not sure where the heck it's all going. 
It looks like I need a budget and I need to increase my dedicated savings.  I do not know how much of my income I'm saving.  Working on those.
The thing is, I dislike my job.  The  job itself, the commute, and the time it consumes.  I'd rather spend more time the next two years with my son, now 11, than work constantly and hope that I get to spend time with him later.  I've learned the hard way that sometimes there is no later.  In three years I'll hit 62 and I can start my SS, at which point I'll have enough income to feel "safe" enough to quit this job.  All the years before, with all those jobs and life changes, I got by on what I made at the time.  To a guy approaching 60 that now seems a little scary. 

However, this is the first time in my life I've had enough money for it to actually bring in a decent income on its own.  Pretty heady!

One last, but important thought.  My parents and my childhood were happy but frugal, we were poor and self-sufficient.  I ate Ramen noodles for ten years in college, did without health insurance, drove a $1200 car, wore the same shoes for years, etc, an experience which made me EXTREMELY grateful to be in the position I am in now.  (I still ride the bicycle I bought in 1992.)  When I write that I make $90,000 a year working part time I have to look around to see who they're talking about.  Is that really me?  So to even think that I'm approaching FI is a breath-taking concept.  Writing this out has made it clear to me how lucky and well-positioned I am.

Thanks for any thoughts or comments.  I'm sure I'm not thinking of everything.

And a big THANKS to MMM!

B

NinetyFour

• Magnum Stache
  • 273 days until Freedom!
« Reply #2312 on: August 09, 2015, 09:48:03 PM »
Welcome, Barbarossa!
My Journal

Countdown to Freedom:  273 days

bernieb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2313 on: August 10, 2015, 06:39:52 AM »
Hi There,

We are in eastern Canada.  Fairly frugal and with about 10 years planned to retirement.

looking forward to getting some tips through this website from like minded people.

bernieb

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
  • Live Long, Live Free, Drop Dead
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #2314 on: August 10, 2015, 08:32:40 AM »
Ahoy Mustachians!
[...]
Several years back my now ex-wife and I saved up, bought a 40 foot sailboat, lived aboard and sailed around Florida and the Bahamas for eight years.  We could live, with our son, on about $500 a month on the boat.  (We met retired folks in the Bahamas living on $10,000-$20,000 boats, less than most spend on a a car, for part of the year, while "the SS checks are piling up in the bank."  True Mustachians!)[...]

I've been thinking about a sailboat a lot lately. Might move up my timeline a bit. I really look forward to hearing more about your story.
Join the cycling challenge!
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

"Mustachians rarely sit back and let things happen to them. Mustachians go out and happen to things."

Camp Mustache Canada - Sold Out Already!!

Veloter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2315 on: August 10, 2015, 10:37:47 AM »
Hi,

Oh how I wish there were internet and this site when I was younger.  I am the poster child for doing everything wrong.  Spent our 20s, 30s and 40s buying whatever we wanted, going into debt for new cars, toys, just CRAP.    Finally got a LITTLE smarter in our 50's and need to turn things around.

The good news:

- We moved away from expensive SoCal and moved where the COL is better.
- DH retired at 60 with a generous pension
- No debt except for house

Bad news:

- We will always have a mortgage :(
- I am still working as health insurance is ridiculous
- Our savings isn't what I would like it to be at this stage

My other issue is that we are not on the same page financially.  DH thinks if there is money in the bank it can be spent.  He is still buying useless crap and wanting to eat out all the time.  We argue about it all the time and it's wearing on me.     I would really like to hear from other people who have a hard time getting their spouse to see the light.

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2316 on: August 10, 2015, 12:34:53 PM »
Ahoy Mustachians!
[...]
Several years back my now ex-wife and I saved up, bought a 40 foot sailboat, lived aboard and sailed around Florida and the Bahamas for eight years.  We could live, with our son, on about $500 a month on the boat.  (We met retired folks in the Bahamas living on $10,000-$20,000 boats, less than most spend on a a car, for part of the year, while "the SS checks are piling up in the bank."  True Mustachians!)[...]

I've been thinking about a sailboat a lot lately. Might move up my timeline a bit. I really look forward to hearing more about your story.

One of my retirement dreams is to buy a used sailboat & small outboard, and spend a year cruising the Great Loop.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Loop

After that, maybe see the islands.

TooManyGuitars

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2317 on: August 11, 2015, 02:29:41 AM »
Hi, I'm new to the MMM community.  I'm 41, live in Perth with my wife and 2 daughters, and have been a classic high earner / high spender for most of my adult life.  DW and I decided it was time for changes about 15 months ago.  We read some books, cut some costs, and have not borrowed a cent since.  But we were still focussed on affording lifestyle inflation without debt.  We found a financial goal list from January over the weekend - on it was things like moving into a nicer house, having a fancy Land Cruiser, more guitars, etc.

However, we discovered MMM about 4 months ago and  it has changed our lives even further.  With a couple of changes we have in flight now, I think we are on track for FI in about 10 years.  And we have (mostly) lost those desires for fancy things.

MMM is also a topic in my team at work, we have all embraced it and discuss mustachianism at our weekly team meetings now.  The office is still full of antimustachians of course...but my team is focussed. 

I'm wondering how many other Perth MMM readers there are?  I hear there are meetups...would love to meet some others. 

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #2318 on: August 11, 2015, 08:40:21 AM »
Hi, I'm new to the MMM community.  I'm 41, live in Perth with my wife and 2 daughters, and have been a classic high earner / high spender for most of my adult life.  DW and I decided it was time for changes about 15 months ago.  We read some books, cut some costs, and have not borrowed a cent since.  But we were still focussed on affording lifestyle inflation without debt.  We found a financial goal list from January over the weekend - on it was things like moving into a nicer house, having a fancy Land Cruiser, more guitars, etc.

However, we discovered MMM about 4 months ago and  it has changed our lives even further.  With a couple of changes we have in flight now, I think we are on track for FI in about 10 years.  And we have (mostly) lost those desires for fancy things.

MMM is also a topic in my team at work, we have all embraced it and discuss mustachianism at our weekly team meetings now.  The office is still full of antimustachians of course...but my team is focussed. 

I'm wondering how many other Perth MMM readers there are?  I hear there are meetups...would love to meet some others.

If you want to find others, a good place to start is the Mustache Map. And then check out the Meetups and Social Events subforum.
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

"Mustachians rarely sit back and let things happen to them. Mustachians go out and happen to things."

sam

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Money Nest
« Reply #2319 on: August 11, 2015, 10:04:58 AM »
Hey!

I’m a 27yr old based in the south of England!

Looking forward to future financial independence.

Sam
Based in the UK? www.moneynest.co.uk provides financial advice for 20-30yr olds.

Have a great day :)

MrsDutch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2320 on: August 11, 2015, 11:15:33 AM »
Hey guys!

I'm 25, live in the Netherlands and am expecting my first child in a couple of months. Found MMM about a week ago and am devouring the blog from the oldest post first. We are currently rock bottom and very eager to reach financial independence so hope to learn and accomplish a lot!

Barbarossa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2321 on: August 11, 2015, 04:18:10 PM »

One of my retirement dreams is to buy a used sailboat & small outboard, and spend a year cruising the Great Loop.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Loop

After that, maybe see the islands.

It's a great life.  Very Mustachian, if done right.  I've done about half the Great Loop and it's almost as good as the islands.  I'll do it all again once I get positioned right!
email me if you want to chat about it.  tpbnna1  at gmail. 

ClassyCat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2322 on: August 11, 2015, 05:49:51 PM »
Hi everyone! I recently discovered MMM through an article I found and have read through all his blog posts ever since.

I'm 24 and graduated from college in 2014 with my Bachelor's in Computer Science. After being at my first job for several months, I began wondering "Is this really what people do until they're 65?" Because of that, I'd been looking for useful financial info beyond the standard "have a budget, save 10% of your income, blah blah blah" stuff. MMM is exactly what I needed, and it's really helped me define some concrete financial goals for the future.

Anyway, I've made a good deal of MMM changes lately (bought a bike, to start) and am pretty excited to continue down this road.

PS, my avatar is a bee that I cross-stitched. I was determined to learn something new this year, and he's the first thing I made.
"You may be a wonderful person but a failure as a biologist."
-The Elements of Learning, Banner & Cannon

NinetyFour

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2323 on: August 11, 2015, 07:10:11 PM »
Good for you for starting the MMM way so early!!
My Journal

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2324 on: August 12, 2015, 07:15:54 AM »
Hi ClassyCat! Welcome to the forums. I'm also a 2014 CS grad. Good luck with those concrete financial goals - we'll be cheering you on! :)

Ms Maggie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2325 on: August 12, 2015, 02:51:52 PM »
Hi y'all!

I discovered (and obsessively devoured) the MMM blog this summer, and am excited to join the forum! I am a violinist and music teacher in Boston, and just survived my first "musician summer" (aka no paychecks) without Ramen or complete financial meltdown thanks to the Mustachian principles! I come from a long line of consumer suckas, so I'm looking forward to gaining inspiration from you all, and sticking to my new Mustachian guns.

My current goals are to pay off my student debt/credit card and engage in activities that are meaningful and financially sustainable. See you all around!

LadyMaWhiskers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2326 on: August 13, 2015, 03:43:24 PM »
Hi - I'm Jen

I'm in Northern CA, a single mom to a fun little 8 month old boy. Very minor badassity in play right now, but taking steps in that direction. Product Manager by day, and landlord as well. So excited to have found the MMM site, BUT, I must say this...

I am feeling frightened of the vast population of farmer diplomats in my immediate area. I'm on the SF peninsula, walking distance to groceries, mass transit, etc. There is a mix of of suburbia and open space foothills around us. There are 3 farmer-diplomats on my block alone, out of about 30 houses. What, the fuck, are they all doing? I don't see any produce or livestock moving around. Are they operating an alternative economy underground. I really am feeling an arresting terror as I come across them. Is this a phase? Will I progress from fear to disgust or amusement? I don't think I ever really noticed them until MMM pointed out the farmer diplomat species. In the neighboring towns (much richer than my town) the pure diplomats travel by Tesla and employ large staffs to tend their grounds. And some of those staff live in my town. But the farmer-diplomats - holy hell! What are they doing?

NinetyFour

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2327 on: August 13, 2015, 08:38:20 PM »
That's a great story, Uturn!  Welcome!
My Journal

Kazyan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2328 on: August 14, 2015, 01:07:40 AM »
-
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 12:57:20 PM by Kazyan »

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
« Reply #2329 on: August 17, 2015, 01:05:16 PM »
Hello all,

Joe here.  45 y/o man who found this site because I am tired of my cube.
Who in a cube isn't!? Thanks for sharing your story and good luck with your plans! --a govt guy

Hello everyone.

I'm Tanner--a 22-year-old recent college grad who is probably about to land a job as a nuclear engineer halfway across the country. The circumstances of this job are nearly ideal. Aside from it almost being my dream job, I have ~13k in student loans, and I wish to retire by July 11th, 2026. That date is chosen because I'll be 33 years old and 1/3 of the way to my next birthday, giving me the remaining two thirds of my life to do with whatever I please.
------snipped for brevity-----------
The future is bright.
Damn straight it is! Good to have you here.
Sorry for blithering my life story, but, I'm having one of those moods. It happens when you're soul-searching by reading a finance blog.
No apology required. Enjoy yourself here.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 02:16:54 PM by zephyr911 »
I am not a cog. I am an organizational lubricant.

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2330 on: August 17, 2015, 02:11:58 PM »
Hello all,

Joe here.  45 y/o man who found this site because I am tired of my cube.
Who in a cube isn't!?

A 45 year old man?

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
« Reply #2331 on: August 17, 2015, 02:19:25 PM »
Who in a cube isn't!?
A 45 year old man?
A 45-year-old man you know?
I mean, my CWs don't constantly complain about being in a cubicle but I'm pretty sure, all else being equal, they'd prefer not to be.
I am not a cog. I am an organizational lubricant.

A Definite Beta Guy

• Stubble
« Reply #2332 on: August 17, 2015, 06:40:41 PM »
Good Evening, folks.

I've read the blog for a while now, since Marginal Revolution linked to Mustache earlier this year. I can't say I'm a full Mustachian (don't flog me please!), but I am a big fan of the frugal community and a focus on creating value for less. Oh, yes, and whenever MMM describes his life as glamorous, which is exactly how I feel whenever I leave the cubicle farm and come home. Glad someone else thinks his life is awesome and doesn't complain about every little problem.

My Wife and I married last year and bought a home this year. We've tried to keep frugal as possible, but right now we're only saving 25% of our 12,000 gross (or 31% if you include the 401ks, I suppose). We've been blessed and plan to add a few more lives to this world, so we're looking to build some good habits and kill a lot of bad ones. Seems like this is the right place to get your head screwed on straight.

Thanks for your time, and your ideas.

-ADBG

Kingsmen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2333 on: August 17, 2015, 07:40:08 PM »
Hello!!  My name is Ryan.  I can't believe there is a whole community of people who have beliefs similar to mine about money and material possessions.  I've always been a little Mustachian, but this forum takes itto the next level.  I'm excited to learn new insights from fellow Mustachians!
"Wealth is the ability to fully experience life."  -Henry David Thoreau

IslandGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2334 on: August 18, 2015, 06:48:51 AM »
I am a born and bred NYer stuck in Northern VA. My husband and I are not yet FI, but well on our way.

suffiansamuels

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2335 on: August 19, 2015, 03:20:01 AM »
My name's Suffian, i'm a broker for those who are interested in investing in precious metals and gemstones

Cadman

• Stubble
« Reply #2336 on: August 19, 2015, 07:15:59 AM »
Hey Guys,

C here. I’ve been lurking the past two weeks and figured it was finally time to join up. A little background (this is new to me so excuse me if it comes off as humble-bragging). I’m 33, married, no kids (and no plans to) and have been working for the same company for almost 15 years (thankfully interning counts toward service credit/pension). The cubicle life has never really cut it for me but the pay is good and in that Midwestern tradition, you’re supposed to hold on to steady employment until you hit social security, right?

A little background- I think we’re in pretty decent shape compared to others in our age bracket. Bought land instead of a house 10 years ago on a 15 year contract, then built a house/shop ourselves with sweat equity while the land pays the taxes and insurance. Two car loans both under 2% interest that will be done soon. Been contributing to my 401k from day 1 and have about 10x my annual spend saved, but now realize I need to be maxing out these pre-tax advantages…NOW. Wife has some CC debt from before we met that we’re paying down, otherwise no student loans, cable TV, silly spending or granite countertops : )

Anyhow, MMM’s blog hit me like a ton of bricks. Rather than wish and wonder about starting a business so I could be my own boss (and in this area, getting off the ground is $$$) it never occurred to me I could retire early.  It was a wakeup call and finding this blog/forum has spurred me into action!

ColoradoEng

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2337 on: August 19, 2015, 10:11:24 AM »
Hello all,

I've been reading MMM for a few months now and I decided to finally join the conversation!

I'm a 27 married engineer living in a house we own in Parker, a suburb of Denver.  I've always been more frugal after I bought a brand new truck out of college.  Seeing the payments destroy my monthly savings made me pay it off as soon as possible, and I have been saving the best I can since then.  I feel like we are off to a good start but MMM has made me realize we could do a lot better.  My wife isn't on board the frugalness train quite as much as I am but she has done well with budget and investment changes since I started reading MMM.

I'm excited to start talking to some like minded people!

bauhauss

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2338 on: August 20, 2015, 10:42:24 AM »
Hello Mustachians fellows!

I am 31 years old, male, civil engineer, from Brazil. I'm not married yet, but on a long-term relationship with a woman I love. I'm self-employed now, due to brazilian corruption and crisis, jobs are scarce these days, and entrepeneurship is very tough here (bureaucracy, high taxes).
I'm a MMM reader for some time, and now I decided to join you guys.

My best wishes to us all  through IF journey.

Best wishes,
~bauhauss

LAGuy

• Stubble
« Reply #2339 on: August 20, 2015, 02:48:35 PM »
Hiya, I live in Los Angeles, CA. 41 male. Been lurking here awhile and signed up to plumb some of the excellent minds here!

runningthroughFIRE

• Bristles
  • Ask for broader shoulders.
« Reply #2340 on: August 21, 2015, 01:44:31 PM »
I've posted elsewhere prior to this, but I figure I should introduce myself here.

Sometime early last Fall a long time member of this forum and college friend of mine seemed to decide that I wasn't entirely a spendypants sucka, and dropped a few hints about this blog.  After mentioning it probably 3 or 4 times, he'd had enough of me dragging my feet, and just linked it to my facebook page.  I read the entirety of the blog in roughly a semester, and started lurking the forums for a few months after that.

Now I've graduated with my undergraduate and masters in accounting, scored a job as a financial analyst, and moved out to Indiana to begin life as a big kid.  I've got just under 20k in student loans that I just made the first (early) payment of 5k to yesterday, with the rest to be demolished within the next year and a half.  I'd like to be FI and have my F-U account locked and loaded by 32, but I'm not ruling out the possibility of working longer for funzies after that.  10 years is a long time, and my favorite thing about this lifestyle is the freedom it brings (and I get really fired up about tax optimization - I'm weird).

I might not be posting much in the immediate future, since I start training to kick the CPA exam's ass next Monday, but I'll probably be lurking around a bit.  Thanks for being here, everyone!

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
  • Kermit is like a box of chocolates
« Reply #2341 on: August 21, 2015, 03:34:49 PM »
Hi Everyone!

jordanread

• Walrus Stache
    • Frugal FIRE Show
« Reply #2342 on: August 21, 2015, 04:00:22 PM »
Hi Everyone!
You missed the second part of the post. You said hi!! That is amazing, but I'd love to hear more things.
Get in shape in 2017!
Frugal FIRE - Episode 2

jgallet88

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2343 on: August 23, 2015, 10:43:31 AM »
Hi I'm Julia. Been reading a lot of blogs and articles- really excited to be a part of this

Vanchica

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2344 on: August 24, 2015, 03:27:08 AM »
Hi, Vancouverite here- just digging out from under what another financial advice writer calls "stupid tax". Came over looking for sidehustle ideas, found one thread, hope there is a corner full of such threads here someplace! I'm still reading the blog, only dipped my toe so far but LUV it.

See you around the forums!

Sabby

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2345 on: August 24, 2015, 06:28:01 AM »
Wife and I entered the 30s, after finishing our PHD, and business school respectively, with no debt, but also no savings! Reading the forum, and the blog, is helping us take a more active role in controlling expenses, and investing, retirement or otherwise. With couple of life changes in the near future, we're targeting low hanging fruit for now.

Hoping to write a case study, and be a more active participant on the forums. And of course, help others wherever possible.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 09:07:09 AM by Sabby »

Jakcorb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Jakcorb
« Reply #2346 on: August 24, 2015, 08:37:53 PM »
Shiiiit! If the MM would have been watching his stats closely the past couple of months, he would have seen a tiny dot located in the Great White North slowly progressing through the list of all blog posts... Today is the day that I can finally say that I have read all of MM's posts! Shiiitt! 

I am Seb btw... Living in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, Capital of the Ford F150 Truck, or so it seems. According to some fellow Yellowknifians I spoke to recently, this humble blob in North is also home to the world's busiest Tim Horton's Fast Food Franchise, a true accomplishment... Shiiittt! Car clowns alert!     

I love this city though for it's non-existing commutes and super-wages... The nature around here ain't bad either.

Now that I'm cured from my self-imposed binge-reading MMM habit, I hope to start a new habit of creating content for my own humble abode on the worldwide web. See y'all around! 

stoski

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2347 on: August 24, 2015, 09:43:10 PM »
Hello Folks!

I ran into the MMM blog about 6 months ago totally by accident. It was good timing because my wife and I had just paid off a big line of credit and started making extra payments on the mortgage. Currently we are hoping to be mortgage free in two years, and start really stashing it after that.

The blog has really helped us to define our financial goals in a practical way, with the focus on our savings percentage and 25 times that as a rough and ready retirement number. Thanks, MMM, for your badass laser beams cutting through the fog with goals we can achieve (with a little "voluntary discomfort"). It's more fun now that we know what we're aiming for.

MaybeBecca

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Miss Making
« Reply #2348 on: August 25, 2015, 07:17:24 AM »
Hi, I'm Becca.

Not sure how I found MMM (probably Reddit), have read the whole deal from start to finish, some things way more than once.

Now, I'm trying to get out of my cubicle hell and into financial independence as soon as is reasonable for my situation. 22, married, we'll be paying off the $20k of high interest student debt by the end of this year, then focusing on getting rid of PMI on our mortgage next year (probably one of our worst financial mistakes... Ah well). Excited to best my financial demons.

loyalreader

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2349 on: August 25, 2015, 02:41:53 PM »
Hi all. Happy to have found this site a few months ago.

I'm 45 and have been divorced for over 4 years. Money was a factor. Mostly the inability to communicate about it (shared responsibility) but also irreconcilable differences in our world views about what it means to live well. I've read a few posts so far where other readers are struggling, and I can empathize.

Post divorce found myself living a Mustachian lifestyle, w/out even knowing that was a thing. Bought a bike and started using my car less. Have been w/out a tv (and cable) for years and haven't looked back. Maxed out 401k savings. Was able to save enough to put 20% down on a nice but moderately priced house that puts me 3 miles from work.

Got laid off and rehired by the same company this February (kept the generous severance package... cha-ching!) and it really got me started thinking about how I could retire early. Found MMM and... face-punch...

- paid off reasonable but gas-guzzling suv and bought a 2010 Honda Fit (manual, of course)
- dumped extra severance and car $ into newly opened Vanguard accounts
- set up auto pay to same, increasing my savings rate to about 40%
- called phone company and internet company to get reduced rates (looking at Republic as an option for when my current phone dies)
- started biking to work more frequently

All in all this site has been an inspiration and I look forward to enjoying the sage advice of fellow posters.