Author Topic: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself  (Read 3315991 times)

bb11

• Pencil Stache
Re: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself
« Reply #2100 on: April 27, 2015, 11:45:55 AM »
Hello everyone. New poster but have been reading MMM and other personal finance blogs for a couple years. Going to the MMM and ERE New York City meetups motivated me to start a journal. Here it is:

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/bb11-wants-to-explore-the-world/msg630200/#msg630200

AlexM1359

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Knightsbridge FX
« Reply #2101 on: April 27, 2015, 01:48:55 PM »
Hi guys, Im Alex....from Canada. This forum seems interesting. Id love to share some of my tips and trick in some of the threads

reinventedbyme

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2102 on: April 27, 2015, 02:14:55 PM »
Hey guys,

I found this site a year or two ago.  Read through a few of the articles and posts, thought it was an excellent resource for people wanting to break the cycle.

I'm now back for the 3rd or 4th time and figured I better register.

I'm 31 with a kid, have a career that pays very well.  It's also very stressful and I don't enjoy it very much.   A mortgage, couple of auto loans, that's it.  No student loans (didn't go to college, but considering it all of a sudden0.  Wife is a stay at home mom.  We have $50k in 401k, $10k in savings.  Not exactly frugal last few years.  Here to learn!

reinventedbyme

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2103 on: April 27, 2015, 02:15:58 PM »
Hey guys,

I found this site a year or two ago.  Read through a few of the articles and posts, thought it was an excellent resource for people wanting to break the cycle.

I'm now back for the 3rd or 4th time and figured I better register.

I'm 31 with a kid, have a career that pays very well.  It's also very stressful and I don't enjoy it very much.   A mortgage, couple of auto loans, that's it.  No student loans (didn't go to college, but considering it all of a sudden0.  Wife is a stay at home mom.  We have $50k in 401k, $10k in savings.  Not exactly frugal last few years.  Here to learn!

supernovajm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2104 on: April 27, 2015, 04:40:59 PM »
Hello everyone!

My Fiance and I found MMM about 7 months ago, shortly after we got engaged, and we have been working hard to move toward mustachianism ever since! Only just starting our journey towards FIRE, but I am eagerly taking in as much knowledge as I can fit into my brain. Our current path puts us at FIRE around 13 years (but this number seems to decrease every month as we adopt more and more of the mustachian lifestyle).

We both work in software support in California, and our only debt is our mortgage, and 5k left on a car loan from our pre-mustachian era (we both graduated college debt-free, YAY!). Currently at $32k towards FIRE (6k in taxable account, 26k in 401k's combined).

thanks

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2105 on: April 27, 2015, 04:48:00 PM »
Hello all.

Heard about MMM last year through a friend.
My name is Bill. I live in Chicago. Thanks for being you.

Peace.

HImustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2106 on: April 27, 2015, 05:25:49 PM »
Hi everyone! My name is Grace. The hubs and I are hoping to be FIRE in about 8 years, I'll be 43 then and he will be 38... I'm hoping he'd let me retire sooner :-) We're working on it!

JessEsq

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2107 on: April 28, 2015, 11:37:04 AM »
Thought I should post -- I have been reading a few weeks on the forums but read all of MMM Blog about 18 months ago and have stayed caught up.

30 y.o. - attorney.
Married to 34 y.o. Sommelier (wine expert)
DINK for now...
Mortgage (bought the house about 1 year ago)
Student Loans
No other debt.
Two older paid off cars (Honda Accord, Chevy Cobalt) - probably combined 1,000 total miles per month... working on this!
I've got about $20k in retirement accounts - a lot of that was employer contribution (SEP Plan - now a 401k so we are deferring each pay check and looking at upping this amount)

We have been lucky to find success with YNAB (a budget software) that got all of CCs paid off. Plodding through the student loans, however, has been less successful. A final payment on one big one is happening soon!

Over the past year after paying off the CCs and getting used to the mortgage/house expenses, we have become down right lazy and decadent with our spending. The money goes to fancy foods (some home, some restaurant) and beer/wine/entertainment.

I'm hoping reading the forums more will kick my ass back into gear so we can knock out those student loans and get on with the real saving for retiring!

knulp

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2108 on: April 29, 2015, 02:17:47 PM »
Hi!

31 year old Swede here who stumbled upon MMM about a year and a half ago when I, after a particularly rough day at work, googled early retirement. This site has been a real eye opener as I never before realized that it is possible to retire early even if you are only bringing home an average pay check. I have been preaching the mustachian gospel ever since much to the annoyance of my lovely girlfriend who in all honesty is getting pretty sick of hearing about my plans to FIRE. In her defense I talk about it constantly so I have decided to register an account and start to contribute here instead.

doylestyle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2109 on: April 29, 2015, 04:24:35 PM »
Hola!

mid twenties studio musician/song writer/ commercial music writer. Never been good at money, have student debt and inconstant income, so trying to get a handle on everything!

MrsPfennig

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • If it were easy, everyone would do it
    • Auf Heller und Pfennig
« Reply #2110 on: April 30, 2015, 04:15:25 AM »
Hello everyone:
I'm in my early 30s, married and since last year with one child. We are Americans living in Germany for the last couple of years and fighting with our student loan debt. Our (very ambitious) goal is to be debt free by May 2017.

I've been reading for the last couple of month. We already live quite frugal (at least compared to colleagues and family). We have no credit cards, no cable tv, and just cancelled our landline. I'm always looking for more ideas to cut back. The goal for the next year is to get more income streams. Both DH and I have corporate jobs but lets be honest they can fire us tomorrow if they like.

Can't wait to learn from all of you!

Free to Pursue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Free to Pursue
« Reply #2111 on: April 30, 2015, 08:21:26 AM »
Hi there!

I live in Canada with my hubby. I've enjoyed reading the entire site over the last few years and am just dipping my toe in this forum.

I've been enjoying a great deal of freedom over the last two years, having left my corporate job April 2013, though I only found the FIRE community after I left!

Now, I'm busy reading, writing, smelling the roses, walking, biking, crossing items off my bucket list and travelling. I never know what I'll tackle next and its a wonderful feeling.

I look forward to diving deeper into this community and hope to learn and contribute as much as I can.

Coleman50000

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2112 on: April 30, 2015, 10:01:30 AM »
Hi!  I've been lurking here for a few months, but I just want to say thanks for all of the great content here!

I'm getting married in July, and this site and the community will definitely help us start off right :)

dave__

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2113 on: April 30, 2015, 10:16:07 AM »
Hello, I just signed up today. Only in the past few days have I been taking in the immense information on this site and forum and other similar sites. Funny that the trigger for doing this research was when my financial advisor nearly had my wife and I sign up for 2x $1mil VUL insurance policies. Upon further research, we will NOT be "investing" in them! This act, coupled with abmissal returns last year in our accounts the FA is managing, has got me thinking a change is needed.

Look forward to reading (and eventually contributing) to the forum.

Thanks,
Dave

tcozy13

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2114 on: April 30, 2015, 12:26:57 PM »
Hi everyone, I've been lurking for the past year.  Finally decided to sign up after reading every article in a binge.   I'm 24 and have been working in IT for three years now.   I held off on signing up on MMM because I know I'll spend even more office time here.  Anyway, thanks for having me!

3rdplanet

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2115 on: April 30, 2015, 04:58:14 PM »
Hi, I'm Carol. I'm 33 and I'm in debt with student loans and my 2009 Honda Fit (on MMM's top ten cars for smart people, I was pleased to see!). I never paid much attention to how much I was spending until finding MMM's blog.
I look forward to chatting with everyone!

akstarr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2116 on: May 01, 2015, 03:15:47 AM »
Hi I'm Leah and recently found this blog googling about swimming and health. Boy was it an eye opener. There is so much info here and it is written in normal speak not gobblygook. Glad to have found this place.

Scott

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2117 on: May 01, 2015, 07:44:23 AM »
Hi all. Long time reader and big general fan.

39 live next to the beach mid coast Australia with a great girlfriend. Retired early 2 years ago - continually wondering what one does when you're no longer trying to win the human race and most are still running by......

Garlisk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2118 on: May 01, 2015, 08:17:30 AM »
Hey there,
28 years old husband and father. Found out about MMM through a friend a few months ago.

I have felt trapped by "the system" for so long, and simply had no idea there was another way!

Looking forward to learning and sharing with the rest of the Mustachians.

jester8k

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2119 on: May 01, 2015, 12:20:45 PM »
Hello!

I am 33 years old, in a serious relationship, in Montreal, Canada. MMM gave me an epic face punch when I stumbled on the site about two weeks ago. I read compulsively for almost a week. It really shook me up, in a good way. I have always most wanted to be a full time artist, but also enjoy pursuing art in a non-commercial way. This felt like a rock and a hard place, yet I am now realizing that you don't have to have your job be your identity, and that there's another way to get freedom aside from scraping by on the fringes - work hard save hard for a few years and FI, m-----f*cker! (Are we allowed to swear here?!) 

I have about $37k in debt, mostly federal student loans (BA in psychology), plus very low-interest family loans and a lingering $700 cc debt (down 2000 dollars since the face punch - yeah, getting serious).

I have moderate frugality and badassity credentials - no car, bike or walk or transit everywhere, and will winter bike this year; don't spend much but have been lazy with Groceries and cell phone, and do have art - related expenses  - but lacked the vision and the income to really put them to work. And also have had a far too lackadaisical approach to debt. IT'S AN EMERGENCY.

My income has been very low. Around 20k per year. Now applying to HR jobs (which hold some interest and to which my psych degree applies). Also just finished massage therapy school and so far it looks to be a great side gig. I enjoy it, I'm good at it, and the hours/$ ratio is favourable.

I have already begun making significant changes in my life and plans. Changing jobs, changing apartments, and having good talks with the GF (who has some serious frugal pedigree already).

Thanks to MMM and all contributors. My enthusiasm is high but I will need the ongoing support and menacing good-will. Let's DO this!

nyu07

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2120 on: May 01, 2015, 01:02:39 PM »
Hi everyone  - I signed up a while back but never posted anything until today.  Just wanted to say hi and I am hoping to learn from everyone here! :)

Sam E

• Stubble
« Reply #2121 on: May 01, 2015, 08:01:18 PM »
Hello, everyone!

I'm 25 years old and currently about $16,500 in debt due to a combination of life circumstances and some plain stupidity. I know this debt seems tiny compared to all the house mortgages and other huge debt I see posted about here, but I also pull in only a modest $22,200 per year net income, so it's been pretty intimidating to me, especially since until now I've been saving next to no money at all and assumed it was unavoidable to do so (I mean, how could any single person get by spending LESS than $22k per year?!). Needless to say, I've been taking huge inspiration from Mr Money Mustache since I found the site a few months ago. It's some of the most inspirational blogging I've ever read and was the eye-opening, optimistic kick in the pants I needed to actually change my life around and realize I can take control of my finances and my life.

After some big changes in the next month I'm planning to be able to save around 50% of my income, hopefully closer to 65%. With that I should be able to pay off all my debt in just a little over 12 months and reach financial independence just 20 years after that. Assuming, of course, I don't start earning more money between now and then.

Anyway, I look forward to joining the community and I'm hoping it will provide the amount of inspiration and accountability I need to really stick to my plans.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2122 on: May 03, 2015, 10:26:12 PM »
Hi folks!

Like many folks posting in this thread I just finished an archive binge (I was down for the count with a sinus infection and needed a lot of reading material last week). I'm kind of a born Mustachian, and I've also been pretty lucky, financially. I've never been in debt in my life, I've never owned a car, I graduated from college with more money than I started, and I've fully funded my IRA for 16 of the last 17 years, starting at age 21. My net worth is about a third of my lifetime earnings.

My life has just undergone some big changes - I moved to NYC, have a sort-of-new job (long story), drastically downsized my living space, etc. I absolutely love it here but I'm having a hard time saving much money in NYC, even with the new higher salary - which is how I found the blog, looking for savings in every day spending. Unfortunately the tips from the blog don't net me much savings (for the most part either I'm already doing it, or it's not applicable to my urban lifestyle)... so I figured I'd come peruse the forum for more ideas.

I'm currently a little unclear on my own goals... I'm most likely going to inherit somewhere in the neighborhood of $1-2mil, so why am I saving? I don't know exactly. I've always been big on efficiency and optimization - it's just in my nature - so part of it is just not wanting to waste money. Part of it is hoping to be more 'green' by not polluting and creating waste. Part of it is that my life's dream is to be a philanthropist, and for that, you obviously need a good-sized wad of cash. But that last one is also kind of my downfall - I like giving money away and being generous. Not so good for the stash...

bb11

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2123 on: May 05, 2015, 09:53:12 AM »
Hi folks!

Like many folks posting in this thread I just finished an archive binge (I was down for the count with a sinus infection and needed a lot of reading material last week). I'm kind of a born Mustachian, and I've also been pretty lucky, financially. I've never been in debt in my life, I've never owned a car, I graduated from college with more money than I started, and I've fully funded my IRA for 16 of the last 17 years, starting at age 21. My net worth is about a third of my lifetime earnings.

My life has just undergone some big changes - I moved to NYC, have a sort-of-new job (long story), drastically downsized my living space, etc. I absolutely love it here but I'm having a hard time saving much money in NYC, even with the new higher salary - which is how I found the blog, looking for savings in every day spending. Unfortunately the tips from the blog don't net me much savings (for the most part either I'm already doing it, or it's not applicable to my urban lifestyle)... so I figured I'd come peruse the forum for more ideas.

I'm currently a little unclear on my own goals... I'm most likely going to inherit somewhere in the neighborhood of $1-2mil, so why am I saving? I don't know exactly. I've always been big on efficiency and optimization - it's just in my nature - so part of it is just not wanting to waste money. Part of it is hoping to be more 'green' by not polluting and creating waste. Part of it is that my life's dream is to be a philanthropist, and for that, you obviously need a good-sized wad of cash. But that last one is also kind of my downfall - I like giving money away and being generous. Not so good for the stash...

Welcome Vee! What does your budget look like? I'm also new to NYC, and just started a journal about it (see link below). It's definitely possible to save here, but does take a different sort of optimization than a suburban lifestyle.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/bb11-wants-to-explore-the-world/

thriftyc

• Bristles
« Reply #2124 on: May 05, 2015, 01:43:08 PM »
Hi there!

ThriftyCanadian here from Hamilton Ontario! MMM's old town. Like MMM I am a grad of the great McMaster University!

Cheers!

opah

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2125 on: May 05, 2015, 06:53:55 PM »
Hello all - I'm 33, have been lurking for a while but thought it was time to start a journal. Hoping to interact with a lot of you and stay encouraged on this path! Nowhere near FI, but I have made steady progress over the last five years and I hope to accelerate that over the next decade.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2126 on: May 05, 2015, 11:02:21 PM »
Welcome Vee! What does your budget look like? I'm also new to NYC, and just started a journal about it (see link below). It's definitely possible to save here, but does take a different sort of optimization than a suburban lifestyle.
Well, looking at your journal, you're doing a heck of a lot better than me! I'm living alone so the rent is much higher. I also was sort of restricted as to where I could live because my parents live just north of the city and felt very strongly that I should live somewhere they could visit easily and somewhere they felt was very safe. So, no Bushwick or Red Hook for me!

My passion is live music, which ends up costing a bunch both in concert tickets and in food/alcohol thanks to venue minimums and the fact that I don't have time to go home and cook dinner several nights a week (today, for example, I was out from 10AM to midnight between my job and two concerts). I don't mind the concert tickets so much but the costs of eating out a lot are something I'd love to cut. I don't spend a lot when I do go out (e.g. dinner tonight was $7) but it's just so frequent, it adds up.

Electricity costs are insanely high here, too, aren't they? My last bill was about $50 for 138 kwh... it's kind of sad after I tried so hard to cut electric usage and my bare-bones usage is still so expensive. The cost of living in the self-proclaimed greatest city in the world, I guess. ;-)

Rustyfishook

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Be Tough
« Reply #2127 on: May 06, 2015, 06:02:56 PM »
Howdy,

Rick here. I was given the link to MMM by Radical Personal Finance podcaster Joshua Sheats. That was about a month, six weeks ago??.. Since then, I've been fairly ruined as to my "supposed" financial and life goals. We are selling everything, and God willing, will be 100% debt free with about $50,000 cash to boot in three months.

Stoked!

We are relocating out of SoCal, to greener places, for kid rearing and such. Anyway, glad to be here and part of the fellow order of Mustachians!

MM_MG

• Stubble
« Reply #2128 on: May 08, 2015, 11:49:36 AM »
Hi everyone!

Found this site a while ago and have been lurking and reading daily since. Love this site and all of the wonderful insight it provides.   Made my first post today in the investor alley thread and thought I should stop by and say hi...so hi.

EvilAbed

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2129 on: May 08, 2015, 05:00:32 PM »
Hello! I'm from the darkest timeline, but working on some building some positivity in my life. I've heard about the Mustachian community for a long time, as my super-smart wife is a frequent contributor, but am now an official member! I'll stroll around the forum and maybe find some nuggets of wisdom from the community :)

trinnyfam

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2130 on: May 09, 2015, 01:51:20 PM »
I am Holly. SAHM of 6, and wife to a late career bloomer. We were doing Dave Ramseys babysteps and are considering this mustache approach as he is getting such a late start.

TeriS

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2131 on: May 09, 2015, 02:35:52 PM »
Hi!

Hubby & I (42 & 45) are currently working on our 5-year plan; we married Halloween 2012. Paying off my $1800 & his $2300 state taxes (mine will be paid off next Friday), $8k student loans left, $8K to the feds, $4k to Dean Care for my cancer-related crap not covered by Aetna & an $11k PST loan ($47K contributed by my employer in 6 years).  No credit cards or car loans for us & have a $1 EF already so currently snowballing (a la Ramsey).

We're moving next August to cut our rent by $500/mo, get the rest of the above bills paid off  & start saving our down payment for a house ($70-80K).  We'll have at least $20k down to get a 15-year mortgage ($79-80K) and have that paid off in 7.  Rent-free, THEN we can really start throwing cash into my PST acct which employer matches at 4%, a roth & other investments. We want to sell that property when we're basically 60/63 to pay for our retirement home in FL. A new NICE modular for $80K and a nice lot with water access for the boat.

We've NEVER been so happy paying bills lol and honestly, had always lived paycheck to paycheck until the last 6mo.  It still amazes me that there are no more "broke weeks".  I'm really liking this forum too!

Happy weekend to everyone :)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 02:57:55 PM by terischwenn »

dandypandys

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2132 on: May 09, 2015, 04:28:25 PM »
Hello
We are a Scottish couple living in FL and we are thrifty! I love the concept of this site. I am reading Theoreux Walden right now, and just read the chapter on having his wee house, and how 'wealthy' he is by living so leanly, and very happy to boot.
I have everything in order... except i have a condo i bought for 140k that has depreciated to 61k and i don't know what to do with all my savings!
I need advice. But will find the appropriate thread/forum
Thanks!

igm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2133 on: May 10, 2015, 09:51:16 AM »
Hi, I am Ian and am glad to have found the Mustachian way of life last year.

I am a 46 year old Canadian; married to a wonderful Texan gal, who is also fairly frugal. I married well!

FIRE should be in 8-10 years. I've been enjoying the blog and comments. Thank you for starting this community. I have found my people. Time for a bike ride.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 06:03:10 PM by igm »

DaveO

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2134 on: May 10, 2015, 01:35:27 PM »
Hello

I'm David, a 32 yr old New Orleanian.  Married, DINK, and hope to be FIRE in less than 5 years.

We own a house in the city and I'm into Carpentry, Renovation, Skiing, and Travel.

jdgj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Online Diary of JDGJ
« Reply #2135 on: May 10, 2015, 01:36:25 PM »
Hello!

I am in the middle of the blog posts, just getting up to the end of 2012. After today's readings (I'll finish 2012, and then go do something productive!), I figured I might as well as introduce myself. Got to start somewhere. I'll start from the beginning:

I'm James (the first 'j' in the account name). I am a single male, 28 years old, and I am starting to come around to the idea of early retirement. By coming around, I mean transitioning from 'hey, let's just pay off debts and live comfortably' to 'holy shit, I have debts!' (insert emergency blog post link here). I work in the software engineering industry (previously QA/testing, recently moved into development). Financially, I should be doing much better, but I am not (as I start to realize after reading the blog posts), or at least, that is what my knee-jerk reaction is in response to my readings thus far.

I feel that I'm almost about to ask for a reader case study, so I'll stop short here, and check out the forum a little more, specifically the FAQs and such. I'll continue to lurk, until I figure what, if anything, I can contribute that is useful to someone, although I plan on learning a lot first.

AreaWoman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2136 on: May 10, 2015, 02:41:47 PM »
Hi, y'all!

I'm Erin, and have just finished catching up on every post on the blog, so where to now? The forum!

I'm a 34 year-old single gal living in a college town in GA and could be considered a townie. I moved here in 1999 for college, and then never left. I have 2 degrees I don't use (AB Music and AAS Veterinary Technology), and spent 1999 to 2010 working low-paying service industry jobs. I have been with my current company for almost 5 years, doing social media and PR. I like to bowl, read books in my yard, go to dance parties, badly play my piano alone in my house while I sing along, and badly play trumpet on a stage in a local band when I'm not singing along. (Note: my music degree is in neither of these instruments).

I finally have cracked the 30K/year salary level. I've always been fairly frugal, but there just wasn't ever much to work with. I grew up pretty poor (which does instill a fear of 'running out' of things that lead to weird spending like pantry-stocking/ stuff you might need because it's on sale) and had college debt the day I moved into the freshman dorm. To that end, my hair is very much on fire. I have debt of approx. $12K spread over 2 loans and 2 CC (highest APR is 10.5% on a personal loan from my bank that moved that debt from some way-high CCs); about $7.5K is school-related. This is the first thing I gotta kill.

Here's where my stats have me right now:
-Income: approx. $32K/year. I'm hourly, so overtime is a thing. Usual take-home is around $820 every 2 weeks.
-Rent & utilities: $550/mo. I'm a lucky motherfucker in this regard as I live alone in a 2-bed apartment on my friend's property. And I get fresh eggs to boot if I can avoid the dickbag rooster.
-Payments toward debts: approx. $420/mo.
-Phone/internet: nada. Phone is paid by work, Internet is inclued in rent. No cable, just Netflix.
-Food/household: around $200/mo. I get stuff on sale to keep a stocked pantry. Freeze lots of things as I cook in bulk.
-Cats: approx. $60/mo. They're getting old and just do better on the holistic stuff... (I have 3. That is enough.)
-Renters and car insurance: $55/mo.
-Bad habits (eating out, bars, cigs, clothes, shows, Amazon randomness): between $30-$100/ mo. depending on what's in the account.
-Gym: $30/mo. (I know. But I will sit on my ass happily without the 'I'm paying money for this' motivation).
Savings sit at:
-Direct deposit to savings: just upped it to $100 per paycheck, but was $50. Around $1700 now... wimpy.
-Contribution to 401K: 6%; 4% Roth, 2% traditional. Company matches 100% for first 3%, then 50% up to 5 (or is it 6?)%. Only had it 3 years, matching only started 1.5 years ago. Around $8K... wimpy.
-I also have an Acorns account for the whole round-up investmentioned thing since I don't have a big chunk to put that way at once. It's pretty new, like $130... way wimpy.

I don't currently drive, but have a 1998 Saturn manual transmission sedan that I got for free waiting to get back up and running via friends. I'm in the market for a new bike. Right now I take the bus or ride with friends. I drink more beer than I should, but that is also free (perk of the job).

I guess I'm doing OK by normal people standards, but hate that my savings is so dismal. I like my job, but wished it paid better, though where I live it's about on par. This city is notorious for depressed incomes with the excuse that it's easy to get by on not much here. I am considering finding something PT to boost income, but am also viscerally against anything that would cut into my personal time... hence wanting to be out of the rat race. A double-edged sword. I'm not a fan of the American corporate work "ethic" of live-to-work and shifty life-work balance. As Peter Gibbons said, "if I had a million dollars, I'd do nothing"... and I would never get bored because to me 'nothing' means 'whatever the hell I feel like doing at that moment'.

I'm hoping to whip my debt completely, find ways to cut back on frivolous spending (goodbye, cigs, which won't be hard since I'm a 3 pack a month kinda person), get to a point where my life is completely mine. I only wish I had started earlier.

Welp, there's my long-ass intro. Hopefully I'll learn some things from all y'all,  if I haven't bored the pants off you already.

jdgj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2137 on: May 10, 2015, 04:48:26 PM »
Erin, if you're savings are wimpy..

I'm fucked (and not in a good way).

How long did it take you to read all the blog posts? I just finished 2012 (and the first of Jan 2013).

NewReality

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2138 on: May 10, 2015, 05:41:15 PM »
Hello All,

I'm Walt, hailing from sunny, hot Florida. I'm excited to join this forum after many years of living unfulfulling, mainstream
(consumerist) lifestyles and wishing to find a like-minded community to help inspire me.

With major changes (divorce, relocation) over the past decade or so, I've been able to finally see the light and rededicate myself to living more true to my minimalist and frugal nature.

I'm in a somewhat different position than many others here in that I'm essentially just starting out my journey to FI in middle age with minor children, but have a very well-paying career and strong resolve on my side. My goal is to be FI in 7 years, at which point I will go on some sort of sabbatical and decide what's next.

Looking forward to sharing this journey with you folks.

bob@bfrazier.com

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • I'm not retired, I'm time affluent.
« Reply #2139 on: May 10, 2015, 06:15:35 PM »
Hi, I'm Bob

I'm not retired, I'm time affluent.

AreaWoman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2140 on: May 10, 2015, 08:05:16 PM »

How long did it take you to read all the blog posts? I just finished 2012 (and the first of Jan 2013).

Well, I guess it's wimpy in comparison to some of the high-earning whippersnappers around here (those under 30, who also all seem to be married, so there's that....). I'm bad about looking around at the other 30-somethings (especially the ones I went to college with. Thanks, Facebook) doing big things and feeling like I've failed, not only financially but in life milestones . Not a productive mentality at all, but just the reality of it. I do realize there really are lots of folks in the same boat I'm in, or even paddling along in a smaller dinghy with a leak and only one oar. We only know our own experience....

It took me probably 6 months or so to read everything from start to finish on the blog... maybe longer. (Disclaimer: I skipped a few when they were about installing your own shower or whatnot because I'm a renter and also probably shouldn't be trusted with power tools or strong adhesives). I feel like I found it randomly on a search about investing vs. saving vs. things like CDs, read for a bit, got hooked, but forgot about it, then remembered and came back for the marathon. All in all, I'm on board. When did you start reading?

lauranay16

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2141 on: May 10, 2015, 08:25:16 PM »
Hi! I am Lauri, I am 45 and newly single after 25 years. I have 3 grown kids and live in the beautiful Pacific Northwest. Getting to the game a little late on taking control of my finances but I have been very frugal all my life so I am half way there right?

buffaloe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2142 on: May 11, 2015, 06:10:04 AM »
Hello, I'm Melissa and I am just about to move to Seattle for a new job and am hoping to make smart money decisions during the move so that I can reach financial independence in the next few years! I think I'm doing pretty well with saving, but I have very much enjoyed reading Mr Money Mustache's articles and have learned a lot that I intend to put to good use.  It's also inspiring to read so many success stories! 

And I'm also hoping to find people already in Seattle that I can dig some good recommendations out of ;)

jdgj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2143 on: May 11, 2015, 08:51:26 PM »

Well, I guess it's wimpy in comparison to some of the high-earning whippersnappers around here (those under 30, who also all seem to be married, so there's that....). I'm bad about looking around at the other 30-somethings (especially the ones I went to college with. Thanks, Facebook) doing big things and feeling like I've failed, not only financially but in life milestones . Not a productive mentality at all, but just the reality of it. I do realize there really are lots of folks in the same boat I'm in, or even paddling along in a smaller dinghy with a leak and only one oar. We only know our own experience....

It took me probably 6 months or so to read everything from start to finish on the blog... maybe longer. (Disclaimer: I skipped a few when they were about installing your own shower or whatnot because I'm a renter and also probably shouldn't be trusted with power tools or strong adhesives). I feel like I found it randomly on a search about investing vs. saving vs. things like CDs, read for a bit, got hooked, but forgot about it, then remembered and came back for the marathon. All in all, I'm on board. When did you start reading?

About two weekends ago (I read them only on the weekends at the moment) for the heavy read-through, but I skimmed a couple of the first articles probably about a month ago , which hooked me.

Haha, same here on the renting aspect, although I am not opposed to power tools and such, if I were to get my own place. Had a fun experience with a utility knife about a year and a half back... not very pleasant, but manageable, and quite pale (no pun intended) in comparison to things one may read online!

I like your boating metaphor. I probably have the small dinghy, but while I figured out that the hole is patchable, I haven't found anything to patch it with just yet :P

PencilThinStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2144 on: May 11, 2015, 10:33:23 PM »
Hi, I'm PencilThinStache. I'm in my early 30s, in the Marines, and am quickly marching toward FI (seriously, no military pun intended). I've been reading MMM for a long time...I think a facebook post about "the true cost of commuting" brought me here back when I was making a horrendous (by mustachian standards) commute. Now I ride my bike or run to work most mornings. Used to have all kinds of expensive hobbies - bars, skydiving, retail - but have settled into a happy pseudomustachian existence. I have a huge mortgage (~$500k), but no other debt and around $200k in investments (personal loan to a trustworthy friend, betterment account, and Roth IRA with my bank). I suppose that's plenty for now. Just happy to be here :)

Sam E

• Stubble
« Reply #2145 on: May 12, 2015, 05:58:48 AM »

I understand how you feel. I'm in the same boat, actually, making about the same amount you do. I also get intimidated by all the talks of 5 year or 10 year retirement plans and people who save 75% but still take home $20k per year. I just have to remind myself that while my retirement plan is 20 years long, I'll still be retiring 20 years earlier than normal people, and it's FAR better than my previous "plan" of simply thinking retirement wasn't even an option for someone at my income level.

Redstone5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2146 on: May 12, 2015, 01:21:33 PM »
Hello,

I'm very excited to have found this wonderful group. My husband and my kids and I have been working very hard on paying back debt and getting our financial situation back on track. I've already cut down our grocery bill and I'm looking around for a second hand bike so I can start cycling to work. Thanks for all the great information and encouragement!

Kevin S.

• Stubble
« Reply #2147 on: May 13, 2015, 04:38:10 PM »
Hey there,
28 years old husband and father. Found out about MMM through a friend a few months ago.

I have felt trapped by "the system" for so long, and simply had no idea there was another way!

Looking forward to learning and sharing with the rest of the Mustachians.

This! x a billion!

I'm 33 yrs old, live in Denver, co - male - no kids, divorced.
I have been reading the blogs for a while and really started diving into them this last week. Looks like a great forum here and I hope to learn a lot!
Looking to be healthy financially...finally ! 

LanceThrustington

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2148 on: May 14, 2015, 06:16:30 PM »
G'day Mustachians

Lance here from Melbourne Australia.

I am 29 year old, work full time and recently bought a house with my partner (also 29 ftw)

I have enjoyed reading the forum so far and look forward to asking and adding about my own personal experiences

Cheers
Lance

firehongkong

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Financial Independence & Early Retirement Hong Kon
    • Financial Independence & Early Retirement Hong Kong
« Reply #2149 on: May 15, 2015, 08:24:54 AM »
Hello everyone. Its such an awesome community here with a wealth of good tips and advice.

I am 37, live in Hong Kong and this year I declared to my wife that we have manged to reach financial independence.

Thinking about the next step now IE leave the rat race, start a new career or just cruise along with what I've been doing =)