Author Topic: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself  (Read 3315993 times)

Hank Sinatra

• Stubble
Re: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself
« Reply #2050 on: April 05, 2015, 05:50:31 PM »
Hi. I've been financially indie and retired for a long time.  I am not (nor have I ever been) a multi-millionaire like the population of some other, similar forums. That's why I'm here. I was told the demographics here were more my speed.  And I have a great Ernie Kovacs style mustache

Shajenko

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2051 on: April 05, 2015, 06:10:34 PM »
Hi, I'm from Dallas, TX.  I have had a very hard time getting so much as a full time job (only 7 out of 14 working years in my life with a MS in Computer Science), and yet I still managed to save something of a nest egg.  Also, I will never at any point call myself a Mustachian.

vietnamtash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2052 on: April 06, 2015, 01:03:41 AM »
Hi, originally from the UK but now living and working in Vietnam with wife and 2 kids. Am 32 and plan to be FI by 42.

alwright85

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2053 on: April 06, 2015, 11:06:03 AM »
Hello, all!
I am a single mom of two from rural Western Kentucky!  I have been reading MMM for about a month, and just had the nerve to call my satellite company and give them the boot over the weekend.
I work for a government agency, so I am definitely not making a ton of money.  However, I am learning to use it more wisely and plan to retire by 45 (I'm 30 this fall).
Nice to meet you all!

Friendly Wombat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2054 on: April 06, 2015, 03:14:20 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I've always been good about saving and investing my money - or so I thought, until I discovered this website in 2014 and learned that a 10-20% savings rate is chump change.

Since finding MMM and the larger early retirement community, I have made a number of positive changes to my life and finances, and I hope to become even more of a badass this year.

BEAST33

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2055 on: April 06, 2015, 05:34:28 PM »
So I don't know how I stumbled on MMM but I'm glad I did. 

I am what you call a clown.  I own a (or should I say the bank owns) lifted jeep and my wife drives a chevy Tahoe.  I have some money saved but not much.  I came here to learn and be smarter with my money, and to get out of debt as soon as possible.  My goal is to be debt free in two years and possibly retire at 55 (trying to be realistic).

I'm 36 years old and make around $70K a year.  After reading a few blogs I have realized what an asshat I have been with my money.  I could have been killing it on my way to financial independence but instead I buy new cars and pilfer away money.  When I think about it I just want to scream and slam my head against concrete.

It's time for a change.  I will be selling the cars in exchange for cheap cash cars to reduce my debt.  My wife is kind of on board but she still enjoys the luxuries in life.  I have a feeling we won't see eye to eye on a lot of things in the near future but it's time to get angry at debt and our financial situation.  She will just have to fucking deal with it.  I'm tired of living this way.

sweetkerryline

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Barlow Street
« Reply #2056 on: April 06, 2015, 06:52:46 PM »
Hi! I am a long time lurker, second time poster. I am a recent law school graduate and though I like my job a great deal I don't know that I want to commit to the insane hours for the rest of my working life. I am working to pay off about 67K in student loans (graduated in 2013 with 90k) and to establish some sort of a savings routine (outside of maxing out my 401(k)). Looking forward to learning a lot.

Hopefully, I will see a lot of you around here.

misstrangelove

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2057 on: April 06, 2015, 08:03:34 PM »
Hi,

I am approaching my mid 30s and I work at a school but not as a teacher, but I get the same days off.  I had not thought much about retirement other than that it seemed impossible, thus I have very little in assets.  I earn 36k and I usually work at one or more of the summer camps my school offers, so I usually earn a little more.  I have two student loans totaling about 10k.

I stumbled on this blog last September or so while I was in the middle of paying off my 4k in credit card debt (finished that last Feb!).  I'm now ready to start investing in the 457 plan that I just discovered that my school offers and I am  starting to understand that this is an awesome tool for early retirement.

My hope is to get achieve FI by 45 which is a little over 10 years for me.

GlobeTrttr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2058 on: April 06, 2015, 08:41:39 PM »
Long time lurker, joined forum today.  MMM has been addicting

Early 30s, live in the southeastern US.  No debt other than mortgage on $250k house purchased last year (put down 20%), approx. $145k net worth (growing steadily).  Graduated college with a small student loan and a car loan and no trust fund or family money or anything like that.  I made it this far with a few headwinds (job changes) and a few tailwinds (market rebound) and feel like I've only gotten started. 

I'm here to learn and hopefully help a few folks with my own philosophies and experiences.

Maverick1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2059 on: April 07, 2015, 11:17:16 AM »
Hello everyone.

I found this forum through www.canadianmoneyforum.com and the Globe & Mail article.

It's nice to find a forum of like minded individuals.  In other forums, and society in general, financial independence and wealth can be viewed negatively by others.  Discussing financial success is often viewed as bragging.  I'm glad a forum such as this exists where achievements in this regard are celebrated.

My wife and I are both Chartered Accountants (Canadian accounting designation comparable to an American CPA).  I'm 30, she's 31 and our daughter is 3 months old.  We have reached a stage that my wife can stay at home with the kids (hopefully we'll have another in 2 years) until they are in school, with my salary being enough to cover all expenses and savings.  Our long-term goal is to be financially independent by age 40, where we would not need to hold 8-5 jobs but could take on selective contract work and investment management as we choose.

ColaMan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2060 on: April 07, 2015, 05:43:47 PM »
Another long-time reader of the blog, and relatively recent lurker on the forum.  Early middle-age, married, 2 kids, and at or near FI.  Debating when to RE.  Have found many of the topics on the forum to be very illuminating.

FrugalKube

• Stubble
    • The Gamer's Lounge
« Reply #2061 on: April 07, 2015, 07:34:03 PM »
Hello All

Recent reader of the blog. Big Fan of Get Rich Slowly so I figured I'd check out here as well. My wife and I save about 35-40% of our income now. I have some investments and a Roth.

Looking into cutting cable, cutting down our one car payment, and being frugal. Hoping to go on quite a few cheap trips in the next few years and save for an early retirement, before 50 would be nice.

My only personal vices being video games(CAG helps a lot with that) and beer.

Looking forward to getting some advice and reading lots of threads
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 07:53:07 PM by FrugalKube »

HumblePie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2062 on: April 08, 2015, 09:14:15 AM »
Hi there. Long time lurker, first time post. I've been reading the blog for about 3 years. SAH wife and mother.

RoscoeT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2063 on: April 09, 2015, 09:35:47 AM »
Hello All,

I found MMM a year ago by accident when looking at an article about DIY concrete showers.  I had already been slapped upside the head with a healthy dose of financial reality after my divorce but still needed a good shot of this stuff.

I'm 38 and thanks to the blog and other habits that I had already developed I was able to set some pretty decent money and lifestyle goals and started to feel like I was on my way to be retired at 50. I never dreamed that would ever be possible.

Now, I've suffered a major, major, MAJOR! setback that has me thinking I will be working until 75 if I'm lucky enough to live that long. 
Today I decided to start writing. I'm posting on the forums because I need an outlet and some company in my quest. Maybe even a check cord to keep me tied down and avoid losing faith.

Hope you all can help.
Roscoe

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2064 on: April 09, 2015, 06:24:26 PM »
Hi,

I'm new to this too. I found MMM by accident searching something like retiring early. I've been hooked ever since. I've read every blog entry and am even more obsessed than I already was about my 401K and investing. I too have always been a bit frugal, but tended to like to buy fancy things too. So while I've already executed a few face punches and kicked myself for not already having FIREd, I've also decided not to dwell on the past. The future is looking bright and I've realized that I can retire sooner than I initially thought so I am happy about that. My goal for some time has been 59 then more recently I pulled it in to 55 and that was looking pretty good. After reading MMM, I'm happy to say 52 is looking very good. I'm 46, so that's only 6 more years in the mind numbing cubicle. Already done more than 3x that so this is the downward slide. I got this....

The Pigeon

• Stubble
  • Now *I* drive the bus! *FIREd*!
« Reply #2065 on: April 11, 2015, 02:30:23 PM »
Hi

Really enjoy the blog! I'm 53, and was going to FIRE January 2015, but was offered a pretty good job, and decided to "test drive" my passive income situation for a year with no risk.
Although I'm wondering, sometimes, why the hell I took the job. (I can hardly bring myself to care about the work, and seeing a gorgeous day outside really grinds my gears that I'm chained to a desk).
I've always been pretty frugal, thanks to my folks being of the depression-era and training me to be frugal, and because I've always earned a modest salary (best I ever did was about 2 years at 75k. Mostly about 50k or below). I have avoided (mostly) the spending trap. I never buy new clothes (love thrifting!), rent a cheap apartment, ditched cable, live 5 miles from work, and ride my bike or walk for most errands (my 2007 car has 50k miles). I guess I've been a mustachian for a while, but didn't know it. I do have a fancy-coffee addicition I need to decrease, and I eat out too often.
I don't have too many other places I can cut expenses, but I'm open to exploring other ways to trim the fat.
I'll be hoping to find lots of FIRE advice, and ask some burning questions.
Thanks, folks. See you in the forums.
-p
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 02:54:40 PM by The Pigeon »

StreetCat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2066 on: April 11, 2015, 02:40:56 PM »
Hello Mustachians, this is a great blog and forum.  I have been lurking for 1+ year and started posting recently.

I'm 38, single and I don't yet have a concrete plan for FIRE.  I have started to track my expenses since the past 6 months.  Once I gather enough data I will look for ways to cut back.  Will enlist the help of the forum Mustachians!!

Keep the posts coming!! I am learning a lot everyday.

freezerburn

• Stubble
« Reply #2067 on: April 12, 2015, 07:24:55 PM »
Hey Mustachians,

I stumbled upon MMM's blog late last year, and it pretty much blew my mind that FIRE is possible and achievable for anyone who wasn't wealthy to start with. I grew up without much money, and had always been so afraid of actually looking straight on at my financial situation, spending habits, and (lack of) retirement planning that I assumed I would have to work until I died. Head in the sand... I spent a long time getting my career established, only to find now that working (at least, work as I know it) until age 65 fills me with dread. I still love what I do, I still love the education and experience that led me to it, but the thought of being dependent on a job for salary+benefits without the freedom to do something different (and live where I want to live, for instance) is like a fetter.

After I started reading the blog and the forums, I started doing the math I'd been so afraid of doing, and now have a plan to retire in 10-15 years. By then I'll be in my late 40s, and honestly this has given me a quantifiable goal to shoot for where before I had nothing, and if I'm honest no real feeling like the future held promise. Changing that has hugely improved my outlook and I'm now looking forward, rather than just looking back with regret. I'm lucky that I found work I love enough to keep doing until I can afford to quit!

In the last 3 months I've started: optimizing my 401(k) contributions and student loans, paying off credit card debt through 0% balance transfers, and reducing spending. The next phase will be finding a cheaper place to live, at which point my savings rate should be over 50%.

I've learned so much from reading this forum! Hoping to get the guts to ask for some specific advice soon.

Thanks, everyone!

latetotheparty1977

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2068 on: April 13, 2015, 09:15:03 AM »
I am very late to the party (age 37). I stupidly ignored investing and fell for the whole consumerist trap throughout my 20s and 30s up until not that long ago. Makes it even worse that throughout my 20s in NYC I made $100K+/year yet failed to save (I did travel the world and amass an amazing wardrobe, however...ha). Upsides: We have no mortgage or debts whatsoever, and drive tiny cars that are good on gas. We live in a very low-cost area of the country, and we do have SOME savings in the form of 401K and mutual funds -- around $60K total. I also am "only" in my office 3 hrs. a day and we do not need to pay child care.

Downside: Our house is just average. It's only 1000 sq ft and in a good area, but it's not overly charming or aesthetically pleasing by most standards; also, the high school here is very questionable (we have a 6-month-old son so this is a concern). Homes can be hard to sell. My husband is still looking for a FT job after a year and makes a very small PT income, although we can meet our basic expenses on it.

Right now I'm trying to decide whether to go all out and max out my 401K and live on my husband's small PT income, and just stay put -- it's not a bad house, really, and we could make some DIY changes that would make it better. Or, do we save up for a house that I like much more in a great neighborhood about 20 min. further than ours from work, which might mean taking on a "minimal" (<$50K) mortgage in the next couple of years?

Anyway, I'm just glad I found this place. I feel like a new person already. It astounds me how much bullshit there is out there surrounding consumerism and how duped I was by it all. (Also wondering how many people here have similar regrets and face similar choices!)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 09:20:10 AM by latetotheparty1977 »

latetotheparty1977

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2069 on: April 13, 2015, 10:28:41 AM »
I am very late to the party (age 37). I stupidly ignored investing and fell for the whole consumerist trap throughout my 20s and 30s up until not that long ago. Makes it even worse that throughout my 20s in NYC I made $100K+/year yet failed to save (I did travel the world and amass an amazing wardrobe, however...ha). Upsides: We have no mortgage or debts whatsoever, and drive tiny cars that are good on gas. We live in a very low-cost area of the country, and we do have SOME savings in the form of 401K and mutual funds -- around $60K total. I also am "only" in my office 3 hrs. a day and we do not need to pay child care.

Downside: Our house is just average. It's only 1000 sq ft and in a good area, but it's not overly charming or aesthetically pleasing by most standards; also, the high school here is very questionable (we have a 6-month-old son so this is a concern). Homes can be hard to sell. My husband is still looking for a FT job after a year and makes a very small PT income, although we can meet our basic expenses on it.

Right now I'm trying to decide whether to go all out and max out my 401K and live on my husband's small PT income, and just stay put -- it's not a bad house, really, and we could make some DIY changes that would make it better. Or, do we save up for a house that I like much more in a great neighborhood about 20 min. further than ours from work, which might mean taking on a "minimal" (<$50K) mortgage in the next couple of years?

Anyway, I'm just glad I found this place. I feel like a new person already. It astounds me how much bullshit there is out there surrounding consumerism and how duped I was by it all. (Also wondering how many people here have similar regrets and face similar choices!)

You're NOT too late to the party! I'm 42, just went back to school, and I plan on being mustachian once I start earning an income again (which should be another year and a half yet).

Solon, thanks! Awesome that you're doing this too, as are so many others.

MustachianKentuckian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2070 on: April 13, 2015, 11:48:31 AM »
Hi!
I'm FrugalFrancine (my husband's new nickname for me, even though my real name is not Francine)!  I discovered MMM back at the very beginning of February and today I have finally gotten caught up on all the blog posts!  What shall I do now??  Read the forums, of course.

My goal is to pay off all debt--car loan (stupid), home equity loan (more stupid), 401k loan (most stupid), and mortgage--in approximately 4 years so that we can live on only one income.  Making good progress after only 2.5 months of growing out my 'stache. 

I'm so glad I found the blog and now the forum and have had my eyes opened to stupid consumerism and lifestyle bloat.

StacheinTX

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2071 on: April 13, 2015, 01:05:45 PM »
Hello! My name is Dustin and I am a reformed consumer sucka! I've been reading this blog for about 2 years and have since cut the cord, got new phone plans, and started living healthier. I plan to retire by 40 and then move on to charity work and helping the world become a better place.

iamlittlehedgehog

• Stubble
« Reply #2072 on: April 14, 2015, 10:39:14 AM »
Hi!
Longtime lurker, finally made an account. My dad introduced me to MMM quite some time ago. I recently married and we are looking to whip our finances in shape to achieve our goals of traveling and eventually having kidlets.
I was raised by Dave Ramsey reformers who preached financial freedom and aversion to credit cards, because of this I never went too far into debt and practiced frugality. But there is always room for improvement!
DH was raised by parents who never managed their expenses and took on astronomical amounts of debt, so he did quite the opposite and always tried to remain debt free and be a practical spender!

BlackAngel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2073 on: April 14, 2015, 11:37:46 AM »
Hi!

I've been reading for a couple of years and finally decided to sign up. It's great to find a community of like-minded individuals!

WaRpBeast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Denver RPG Meetup
« Reply #2074 on: April 14, 2015, 12:42:26 PM »
Hi all,

Short time reader (followed the husband over here--he's been into ERE for years) but have some good habits in place already.

We've been married about 3 years and have no plans for kids.  We started our rental business in 2012 and are going strong with that.  We have two cars but basically only drive once or twice a week most everything is done on the bicycles.  I've been riding since 2006 and in the last year it has really become my go-to means of transport.  We have no debt beyond the mortgages (one for each property) and are maxing our 401Ks and just opened a Vangaurd account recently.  We have other investments but they are being managed by an advisor and we are considering pulling out of those entirely due to fees.  We kicked the eating out habit a few years back and started veggie gardening last year with great success and are growing our seedlings for this year.  Most of our hobbies are realtively inexpensive including hiking, bike riding, table top gaming which mostly cost the gasoline to get to where the activity takes place.   

Goals for 2015 are to save as much as possible, perhaps just live off of my salary and really bulk up the savings/investment accounts. 

Desired/anticipated FIRE dates of Sept 2016 for him and March 2018 for me. 

lilgangwolf

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2075 on: April 15, 2015, 12:03:49 AM »
Hello

New to the this and other like-minded blog. Decided to join in the forums to learn more and ask questions in achieving FI!

cerebus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2076 on: April 15, 2015, 12:24:40 PM »
I discovered the blog about a month ago and it completely changed my thinking about frugality. We've learned the hard way how to be frugal, and I've always been a bit baffled about how people that earned twice my salary could complain about how tight life was, but I still was constantly trying to stretch my budget upwards. Now since reading MMM I've realised that frugality isn't something to be shamed of, it actually makes you more of a badass in a world of pampered complainers, and I've refocused my efforts on learning to stretch my budget proudly downwards. Things are tougher in South Africa than they would be in America, but I don't care, we'll find a way as a family.

Random Internet Stranger

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2077 on: April 15, 2015, 01:51:42 PM »
Hiya!

Just discovered this forum, and love it! It's just myself and my husband who are desiring to be FI eventually. No kids in the future, other than our cats. Between us, financially we have sort of shot ourselves in the foot, but its only a flesh wound. We are about 20 years out from retirement, and just the last year we realized we are nowhere near ready $$-wise.

So, since I am more of the finance person than he is, I sat down and did the numbers, and went eep. Needless to say, we started getting stuff together so we won't be in the situation I have seen other people in. We are both a bit on the frugal side, but we fell to the trap of putting stuff on the cards etc etc etc. We can pay bills fine, the mortgage is an awesome rate, put a little money in our small 911 savings, max out his 401k, but we need to do better.  We are also working on saying NO to people as well...that is helping the net worth immensely too.

I did research, and found this blog and forums and it has totally opened my eyes to what CAN be.  He is on board, and we are currently in a positive net worth (yay!!) and its only getting better.  Debts are dropping, and retirement/savings are rising...we are even able to put money into the IRAs this year as well. I even managed to get payments lowered on some utilities too...so I am rather proud of myself.

But, my stashe is small and wispy...and I need to groom it into a luxurious looking thing :P My husband says facial hair isn't his thing but he will go along with this :P He wants FI as much as I do, and together we can give our cats the life they deserve. Oh and us too!! :)

GoldenNeko

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2078 on: April 16, 2015, 10:44:30 AM »
Hello Mustachians!

First of all, thank you for this wonderful community. I've been lurking around here for a few months, and already I have made a lot of progress.
I am 30 and live in Paris (France). My networth reached 0 in November 2014 (student loans) and I'll finish building my emergency fund in May 2015. After that, I plan on aggressively investing, both through real estate and through the market.

I must say that the MMM blog felt like a light in the dark for me. I felt trapped in nonsense: working all my life and always having "not enough", even though I'm quite frugal, thanks to my parents.
I know now there is an other way. I'm glad this forum exists!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 12:37:13 PM by GoldenNeko »

TheInsuranceMan

• Bristles
« Reply #2079 on: April 17, 2015, 12:53:29 PM »
I'm new, I've been reading off and on for the last few months after I heard about MMM on Get Rich Slowly. 
I'll probably chime in here and there with tid bits of info.

I'm married, 28, my wife is 27, and we have a soon to be 11 month old at home.
I sell insurance (farm, crop, home, auto, commercial) and my wife works in the medical field.

We aren't very MMM like at this moment, but we are working on some fixes in our financials!

BananaPants

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2080 on: April 18, 2015, 08:07:06 AM »
Hello, long time blog reader.  I'm married, my husband and I are in our mid-30s and have a 4.5 year old and an almost-2 year old.  I'm an engineer and my husband is at home with the kids right now, although he's looking to get back to work later this year when our older child is in kindergarten.   We bought our "starter" house in 2006 when the market was still going like gangbusters, and are now sort of stuck here due to the bubble popping and stagnant growth in the local housing market.  Both of our cars are paid-for. 

Our finances have been in the toilet for the last 2 years and we're working hard to make it right and then go for FI.  We racked up some consumer debt for the usual reasons; we were feeling too secure with our employment situation and did a lot of trying to keep up with the Joneses when our household income couldn't support the lifestyle.  Then he took a job that we thought would be great but ended up to be abysmal, then was laid off and had an unsuccessful job search (couldn't get an offer that would pay for full time daycare for two kids).  The past is in the past and all we can do now is clean up our mess, right? 

localforeigner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2081 on: April 18, 2015, 11:33:55 AM »
Hi friends!

I love this blog, an have been a reader for a while now. I like to think of myself as financially savvy, but the reality is that I can't seem to escape from a (small) negative net worth :( Hopefully getting involved here with help with some motivation.

Okay - time to go read all the tips on frugality you good people are posting!

A

oblivo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2082 on: April 19, 2015, 03:25:25 PM »
Hi, I have been reading for a long time and want to join in. I'm single, 34, live in NYC. I have a high paying job and for the last few years I've manage to save about 65% of my pre-tax income. The 35% affords me a not-very-frugal lifestyle - particularly w/r/t food, clothes, and travel, and I'd like to pare it down some.

I have lived very frugally in the past, struggling to get out of debt in my late 20's. I sort of remember how to do it!

I realized last week I could be FI if I cut my spending drastically and lived very frugally. However I think I'd need to move out of my apartment or to a lower COL area. I'm not excited about that, so I am setting my FI date as April 15 2016. Over the next year I'd like to cut back my spending, invest a lot more, and see how it feels to then think about RE...

I am an artist and work in a different field professionally. If I RE I will be in the studio full-time...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 06:59:36 PM by oblivo »

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2083 on: April 19, 2015, 04:37:34 PM »
Hi all, just found this site and forum.

Wow, really helping to bring together a bunch of things I've been thinking about but have poorly implemented, haha!

I mean, I have a mostly work from home job. Love to bike and when I do go to the office (once every couple of weeks) that's how I like to travel. Bake my own bread, growing veggies in the back yard, love me some rice 'n beans, paid off debts, have some auto-savings, etc...

Still, despite what I still consider an outrageously high salary I'm not nearly where I want to be and it's entirely due to me not paying enough attention to where money goes. Gonna be sifting through the site and asking some questions!

LoneStar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2084 on: April 20, 2015, 06:13:07 AM »
Hi all!  I heard about MMM a few years back but just started reading last week.

I'm a New Zealand resident from the US, just turned 31, recently debt free, and ready to save!

Unfortunately I haven't been paying much attention to my spending so while I usually live within my means I have a tendency to blow large sums of cash when it builds up :|  So I'm asset poor right now, but hoping to turn that around with some a renewed focus on what matters in life and some advice from the community :)

Cheers!

Jeff Kent

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2085 on: April 20, 2015, 02:47:26 PM »
Good Afternoon,

Part-time lurker, first time poster (on any message board for that matter).

I am a ten year financial professional who has made a living (or what I would call a living) telling business and business owners what asset they can or cannot afford, whether they have enough liquidity to remain a viable business, or liquidating assets in a work out scenario. I am by and large considered an expert by many of my peers and friends with respect to Banking and finance as a whole. To boot, my wife is an executive at a small hedge fund and is an acolyte of capital markets.

We are considered by and large well compensated, well educated individuals living the standard dream of most. Dining out several times a week, own a house that's too large and have more vehicles than people in our house. Fast forward to last month when I found MMM's article in the local Globe and Mail and opened my eyes. I manually took a copy of both my wife's and my credit card statements for the first quarter of 2015 and broke down our discretionary variable expenses. The results mortified me. I am no where near a financial professional as evidenced by the fact myself and my better half break even on a monthly basis. This on a DINK household with a well above average household income.

At the risk of running a short story long, I have joined this forum if only to try and hold myself accountable to obtaining financial freedom. That said, if people have any kind of business finance related question, (caveat: Canadian here) I would be happy to provide some no frills internet feedback.

4tify

• Bristles
« Reply #2086 on: April 20, 2015, 09:03:52 PM »
howdy!

i'm 47 and live in Los Angeles. I was 40k in debt when i turned 40, but now i'm planning FIRE by 50! i've had to work hard to play catch up but i think i may just make it! stand by :)

thanks for all your inspiration!

DogChaseLane

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2087 on: April 21, 2015, 02:31:52 PM »
Hi all!  I'm Margaret.  I've been reading the blog and forums for over a year, but just signed up to post. 

After I started reading MMM, it took a while for me to convince the spouse that we were FI and could RE.  We're both early 50s, so I guess it isn't really early compared to a lot of you, but it feels early to me.  Seven months ago we retired, sold our house, ditched our cars, and moved cross country in a rented minivan (with 2 big dogs and 2 cats...what an adventure!) from Maryland to Portland, Oregon. 

I'm glad to be here! 

c rose

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2088 on: April 22, 2015, 05:55:49 PM »
Hi all,

Feeling sheepish, and don't know why.  My name is Caroline and I am really only just embarking on this journey to FI though it's been in my periphery for years (as has MMM).  Many more years ago I recieved a significant inheritance, and owing in some part to a borrowed sentiment, promptly went about 'sharing it with all my friends'..... I was too young for it.  Having a sudden, seemingly bottomless, chunk of wealth totally obliterated the very good saving and low-spending habits I'd developed as a child and maintained into my early 20's.  So much so that I find that at 33, I'm still stuck with the hangover: approximately $25k in debt, and little to speak of for assets (my net worth is approximately $15k).  The thing is, I've been feeling like getting back on track, and have been having some success with it.  Steady debt load reductions, decent income, diligent partner, and so many daydreams :) The time is nigh for financial independence.

The real trick is that I am about to accept the remainder of that significant inheritance.  I don't think any of us saw this coming, my aunt was so clever; we didn't know that there was a trust witheld. This time I want to get it right.  The inheritance will be more than ample to eliminate my debts, and top up my RRSP. 

What I'm really trying to find is good advice on how best to invest the remainder, in real estate or the stock market, when one is a dual citizen of the US and Canada, as I am.  I currently live in Canada, earn my income here and only hold Canadian accounts. My partner is Canadian. I struggle to find meaningful advice that adequately addresses both Canadian and American tax implications.  SO.  I'd absolutely appreciate anyone's pointers, whether to specific strategies, websites, forum posts, personal experiences, anything at all, that might prove helpful to highlighting a best path forward. 

There you have it!  Thank you!

mainesaver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2089 on: April 22, 2015, 07:59:25 PM »
Hello,

I'm Chris, and I've been reading the MMM blog thoroughly for a while now. Philosophically I'm there; my wife, less so. I'm 32, with two kids, living near Portland, Maine. I'm well paid in a job I sometimes like, she's been staying home since the kids started, and our financial picture is pretty good - no debt aside from 15-year mortgage with 35% equity, ahead of schedule solid retirement savings and some taxable investments.

My dream is financial independence so that I am free to pursue the ideas and passions I've left behind as I've climbed the corporate ladder, and her dream is a picture of a happy suburban family. She has achieved her dream, and doesn't mind the spending (I'm not blaming her, it's *our* spending too) that has come along with it.

The more I read on MMM and elsewhere, the more I'm convinced that we can do this.

What I would love to get from this forum is:
  • A sobering assessment of my financial position, and what it will take to reach FI by age 40.
  • Some ideas on slowly bringing the wife along (yes, I've read MMM's post about it), and raising kids with financial intelligence.
  • A like-minded bunch of people to learn from and talk to.
Glad to be here and looking forward to doing this together and helping out others where I can.

Marus

• Stubble
    • My Literature Blog
« Reply #2090 on: April 23, 2015, 01:41:12 PM »
Hi all,

I'm a 25 year old and I've been reading the blog since last fall.  At first I was just curious because I like reading about people who have wildly different lives from mine but then I started seeing things that I could apply to my own life. 

I've started commuting by bike and running errands by bike.  Now I feel like a chump every time I have to drive somewhere.  I ditched my expensive AT&T plan.  I started bringing in my lunches from home and doing lots more cooking. Thanks to my library I haven't bought a book yet this year even though I'm reading more than ever.  The big change though is I had always thought of being frugal as this joyless thing where I'd constantly have to deprive myself of doing what I really wanted to do.  So far being frugal actually seems to open up possibilities though!

That said, I still have a ton to learn.

Cezil

• Stubble
« Reply #2091 on: April 23, 2015, 05:28:03 PM »
Hi everyone!  I'm glad to finally be here.  A lurker, I've been reading MMM for..two years now?  And I finally get to signing up for the forums!

I'm 28, have been trying to get my finances in order for a bit over a year, and am on the path to FI within the next 20 years (I hope!).  I enjoy reading MMM, ERE, Brave New Life, Living AFI, Financial Samurai, Root of Good, Dividend Mantra, among so many others that give me hope each day that I'm doing the best I can to get out of the cubicle farm..

I'm so happy to be here, thank you for having me!

aristotle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2092 on: April 23, 2015, 05:50:58 PM »
Hi,

22 years and currently a college student soon to graduate. Recently found about this forum while at work and found it to be interesting. Not only did I find out some cool ideas but I also got paid to do it! A very mustachian move I might add..

I've always been "cheap" and I got it from my parents. I never spend money, I have alot of money saved in the bank despite people my age being in debt and I never fell in to that materialism/hedonistic trap people fall head first in. It's funny because for the past few years I was told my self I want to retire when I'm 35 or 40 then bam I found this website.

mugovewashe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2093 on: April 24, 2015, 08:04:49 AM »
Hi im Tawanda and i live in Harare (direct translation - never sleeps) Zimbabwe. attempting to ride this emerging markets wave

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2094 on: April 24, 2015, 10:20:29 PM »

Long time lurker ( not so seriously,  <2 years), first time poster. 

It is good to find a community that makes "confirmation-bias" easy.  I'm typically nodding along on each thread I read, even the "sacred cows" thread.

The only downside to this forum is that as I think of a reply, someone has usually posted a clearer comment than I would. 

TheRabbit

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2095 on: April 25, 2015, 05:52:51 AM »
Hello!

I'm a teacher living in Minnesota, so I make a decent salary but nowhere near some of you in the corporate world ;) However, I do get the pleasure of having a job a absolutely love.
My husband has finally "converted" to Mustachianism after 1 year of debating about the merits of such choices. We have one baby and 2 large dogs (oops, this was before I read the blog) and are planning to have another child soon.
However, even with all these expenditures, we should be able to "retire" in 12 years and start our own business! My husband is a Marriage and Family Therapist and I am currently learning about herbalism and shamanism, so we want to open a healing practice.

Nice to meet everyone!

WhiteSwan101

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2096 on: April 25, 2015, 07:04:42 AM »
Hello Y'all

My name is Mike.
Age 71 married with 6 grand kids.
We live is a semi rural area East of Raleigh, NC

I hope for the best but 'am prepared for the worst. A prepper at heart and always interested in new ideas. I expect the unexpected and enjoy life.

torsion

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2097 on: April 25, 2015, 08:59:26 AM »
Hi all,

I came across the MMM site whilst searching for financial freedom/independence about 1.5 months ago. My personal finances and spending habits like a lot of people had been shocking since I started work 17 years ago but it's time to change.
I am 34 years old, married - DINK
I live in NYC as an expat and work for a big corporate in the financial sector. Like many others in my line of work it's a paradox to hear we have financial issues and it's humbling how there are many of you who have reached FI not in corporate jobs or earning high incomes.

I have been really inspired here to make a difference and have been reading other sources to learn as much as possible.

Hoberto

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Hello!
« Reply #2098 on: April 25, 2015, 11:31:30 AM »
I was a pretty dedicated saver in my teens and 20s, bought my first house when I was 18. Stuff happened since then and I'm not where I hoped.

Now I'm 39, single no kids, with 130k in savings and IRAs.  I have 188k of federal student loan debt at 6.625% and have no other debt.  I own my house (not the same one from 28 yrs ago) and car.  I'm maxing my 401k, HRA and IRA.  I should have my loan paid off in 5 yrs and hope for FI by age 50, but think 55 is probably more realistic. 

I've been cruising /r/FI and here for a while and am thankful for all of the great information.  I thought I'd join so I'd have some like minded people to talk to.  I also do not have friends who understand why I don't eat out every meal and continue to shop at Goodwill.  My income may be high but that doesn't mean I have to blow it all.

nestegghead

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2099 on: April 26, 2015, 01:07:29 PM »
Hi,
I am a soon to retire professional. A life long saver and in pretty good financial shape.
I have already learned a lot of tips I never knew here, I am looking forward to learning more.