Author Topic: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself  (Read 3316105 times)

kwillmorth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself
« Reply #2000 on: March 14, 2015, 06:55:57 PM »
Hi,

I'm Krista and I stumbled upon the MMM blog while searching for an answer to, "how to decide to rent or continue owning our house." I really like what I've found! I am working on putting together a case study but I'm not too sure where to start. I've always thought we were ahead of the game b/c we "don't have any debt" other than our mortgage. *I* have always considered that debt, but it seems many today do not. I started to buy into that and fell into the "gee, I have money in this hand, and mortgage on the other, I guess I'll go buy a TV/trip/whatever" that I have seen mentioned. We had some savings, but as happens when you don't have *enough* saved, we had a bad year, some additional medical expenses, the ACA actually *cost* us another $120/month for higher deductibles, our second vehicle (16 yo minivan) finally blew an engine, and on and on. The icing on the cake was my husband's workplace cutting wages (hopefully) temporarily by 15% beginning this month.

The upshot is that these events conspired to cause some very moustachian changes in our lives without much effort. Husband is now biking to work (something he used to do, but had stopped due to sorta scary motorists and sometimes severe weather). Down to one car, which is okay so far, given I am a SAHM homeschooling two kids. We usually use the car to get to a 2x/week home school co-op, and lessons and such, which are farther away than husband's work. I have picked up some temporary pay here and there teaching at the co-op, doing their books, and teaching riding lessons. Hubby is also finally on board with the idea that we really DO need to cut some things out and spend as little as possible...just working on how that is going to look. I thought we had already cut out a lot, and we still don't have enough to cover emergencies and some things like basic maintenance on the house.

I guess I should save the rest for the case study. =) Just wanted to introduce myself and start to organize my thoughts. I'm excited to start making a plan that might mean my husband (who is 15 years older than I am) can actually retire. He is in a bit of a funk at the moment, fearing he won't be able to retire until 70 and/or he won't outlive our mortgage and/or our kids will be deprived of the benefits he had from his parents (like help with college). Thanks for setting up the site and for all the great input from members!

Krista

Utu

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2001 on: March 15, 2015, 08:35:33 AM »
Hi I'm Utu, 25 y.o. and well on my well to FI. Through savings, investments, real estate, and hustling, I hope to be FI within 3 years from now.

ozzy123

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2002 on: March 15, 2015, 11:00:54 AM »
Hello there is am on a mission to become FI in about 3 years. I live in the pacific nw. I have rental properties, and some other investments  to help me along the way.  I have created a blog to chart my progress along the way. The reason I started a blog is when I read other people's blogs it keeps me motivated. So it's my gift to someone else if it helps them.  www.claritythrufi.com check it out and let me know what you think.

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2003 on: March 15, 2015, 01:16:50 PM »
Hi, I have been lurking here for 3 months and figure that I want to respond to threads often enough to warrant getting an account.

My profile is SINK, 41 year old female.  After selling my soul to the international oil industry for a decade and a half, I have downshifted my career to the public sector, freeing up many hours to devote to working towards what I hope will be a viable second career - artist/illustrator.  By second career, I mean side gig while enjoying early retirement, not stressful how am I going to pay the mortgage, starving artist type of career.

I am quite close to FI by MMM standards, but don't have any firm plans yet to cut the cord on working for at least 5-7 years.  I actually wish that I had learned about MMM 2.5 years ago when I moved back to Canada from abroad, I might have made some  more sensible decisions regarding the house and car I purchased, but I will leave the past in the past. 

TfromOC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2004 on: March 15, 2015, 10:47:53 PM »
Hello --- I am T from OC in So CA.  Saw MMM talked about on another site I frequent - Savingadvice.  Am a civil servant and plan to retire next year at 56.  Hubby working in the shipping industry and plans to work a bit longer.  One daughter at home who will enter college in 2016.  Would love advice on taxes ----  we are supporting many other folks with the amount they take out of our checks!   :(              Debt free --  we paid off our home about 10 years ago on a middle of the road salary at the time.  We save about 50% of our after tax income at this point and live frugally.  Daughter plans to go out of state for school in the engineering field and will earn merit aid and has savings.  Her education will be on a no loan basis.       

TheContinentalOp

• Bristles
« Reply #2005 on: March 16, 2015, 11:25:10 AM »
Hi

I am James from Pennsylvania.

I was kind of living the mustchian life before I found this site, but wasn't able to articulate what I was doing. My ex-wife (compulsive gambler) put me behind the financial 8-ball, but after several years of living way below my income, I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. I calculate I am 4-5 years away from FI. I have been crunching some numbers and will probably put up a case study after I have another month of expenses to calculate.

ayogafriend

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2006 on: March 16, 2015, 06:21:12 PM »
Hello, my name is Scott and I just found your website with a Google search.  It's kind of funny, since I was looking for the meaning of "F-you money" and sure enough, I found it here!  Looks like my kind of place and people, so I joined.  I like living in a way that I can have a nice lifestyle, without having to work at something I despise. 

Here was the link I found: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/formula-for-f-you-money/

Very inspiring.  Let's talk and share the wealth of knowledge.

Nidiyao

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2007 on: March 16, 2015, 06:30:12 PM »
Hi, I'm Sandy in Indianapolis.  I'm really happy I found this website.  The changes in my life are astounding in just a couple of months.  I've cut our grocery bill down by more than 50%, changed lots of light bulbs, paid off my car and paid cash for another car (we have a lot of drivers right now).  Great stuff.  Thanks to everyone who shares knowledge and time!

Ramblin' Ma'am

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2008 on: March 17, 2015, 01:19:27 PM »
Hi, I'm Laura. I am 32, single, no kids, and live in the Boston area. I have been lurking a while and finally decided to join. I've been doing pretty well by the standards of mainstream personal finance sites--emergency fund, no debt, saving around 15% of my income for retirement. Lately I've become more interested in FIRE and am hoping to get inspired to kick it up a notch. I'm realizing that saving 15% may get me to retirement in my 60s (which, sure, is better than many people) but won't get me to freedom before then.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 01:23:18 PM by Laura82 »

njfleck

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2009 on: March 17, 2015, 07:08:37 PM »
Hi, I'm Sandy in Indianapolis.  I'm really happy I found this website.  The changes in my life are astounding in just a couple of months.  I've cut our grocery bill down by more than 50%, changed lots of light bulbs, paid off my car and paid cash for another car (we have a lot of drivers right now).  Great stuff.  Thanks to everyone who shares knowledge and time!

Hi Sandy! My GF and I are also in Indy!

gregerus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2010 on: March 18, 2015, 07:06:07 PM »
Hi all,

My name is Greg

Im 22, just graduated from Occidental College down in LA, and I am currently doing the CORO Fellowship in San Francisco. My hometown is Sacramento, Ca.

I have been following MMM for over 3 years now, and I am interested in getting more involved in this community. My Fellowship gives me a stipend so there is not a whole lot of saving going on right now, especially in the Bay Area (which may be a good reason to move out).

I would love to chat about some of your experiences, both starting out and long time Mustachians. Also, I shamelessly promote MMM wherever I go.

With hope,

Greg

emmaplopez

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2011 on: March 19, 2015, 04:04:23 AM »
Hello everyone..

I am happy to join you guys but unfortunately I don't have mustache :P

Susan

• Stubble
« Reply #2012 on: March 19, 2015, 04:31:40 AM »
Hi all, I've been reading this blog and forum for over a year now and thought it was time to really join!

louloulou

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2013 on: March 19, 2015, 05:04:35 AM »
Hi I am Louisa. 36, married with 2 kids. No consumer debt and working to pay off the mortgage. Living a somewhat minimalist life.

Have been reading mmm for a couple of years.

Cole

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2014 on: March 19, 2015, 10:26:41 AM »
Hello! My name is Cole and I'm from Denver, CO.
I'm 19 and I am one semester from being done with college.
I am excited to start my journey towards FIRE and hope to be by 27.
I have a few student loans, but NO other loans EVER. :)

Laferno

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2015 on: March 20, 2015, 03:53:47 PM »
Hi,

I am Jon in Richmond, VA.  I have always been pretty frugal, but never realized until reading MMM that I was on pace to retire in my early 40s.  The goal isn't actually to retire, but to know that I have the freedom to choose whether or not I want to work.  Wife and I are currently saving 30-40% of our income, and that will definitely shoot up once the kids are out of daycare.

Best of luck to everyone on their trip to FI.

REAL WORLD EXPAT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2016 on: March 21, 2015, 01:51:30 PM »
Hi my name is Richard and I live and work in Chicagoland. I'm originally from the UK and am toying with the idea of moving back when my wife (and American) and I get to FIRE-plus in about 5 years. Even if we decide to stay in the US after FIRE we'll be out of Chicagoland in a flash (high taxes and too cold in the long winter) but have yet to decide on our location so may move about a bit or take extended vacations.

Smiro688

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2017 on: March 22, 2015, 04:05:53 AM »
Hi,

Long time reader but thought I'd try and get more involved in the forums as I work on my badassity. I'm Adam, originally from NZ , 29 years old and just starting to take a more active role in my financial wellbeing (took me long enough right?). Have been recommending this site to everyone that asks me "What should I do with my money?".

hoosier

• Stubble
« Reply #2018 on: March 23, 2015, 11:34:30 AM »
Hi All,

I'm 34 and live in rural Indiana, enjoying the low COL.

I've been lurking on the site for a while now and decided to sign up.

I'm not FI yet, and don't really want to RE (although I may be persuaded), I am just looking to gain the wherewithal to be able to do exactly what I want and not worry about jobs, money, debt, payments, etc.

I found this site after reading all the internet rags about how/when to retire and none of it made any sense....how could I possibly need $3.4M to retire...and why in the hell would I want to work until I'm 68? 

I've been pretty Mustachian without evening knowing it was a "thing".  I own my home outright, have no debt whatsoever, and have saved up about 11 years worth of expenses.  I've always believed in having a "go to hell fund"...but see that you call it FU money here, which I like too.

My monthly expenses are 30% of my paycheck.  I save a lot of $ by doing "weird" things (in the eyes of my co-workers and friends) like growing a garden, heating my home with wood, fixing my own stuff, etc.  Good to see some like minds.  I could probably cut out a lot more $ from my budget, and I still might, but for right now I'm pretty content with my trajectory.

I don't feel comfortable talking to anyone other than my wife about this stuff.  Most of the people I socialize with still have a negative or near zero net worth.  Car/house/boat payments are the norm...working till 70 is expected.  Its nice to have a place to vent a little if I need to.

I'm hoping that in 5 years I can quit this rat race and get a fun job just to cover expenses until I'm about 50 then hang up my "real job" spurs.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 11:37:07 AM by hoosier »

GoingConcern

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2019 on: March 23, 2015, 10:00:37 PM »
Hello All,

I guess I have been a "mustachian" most of my life as in I have always lived modestly.  Went to public school and avoided college debt, didn't own a car until the age of 24, paid off my place and so forth.  Lately I have been looking for ways to increase my net worth and learn of new investing strategies.  I have been lurking this forum for a few weeks and I guess it is a good time as any to register. 

willikers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2020 on: March 24, 2015, 12:19:26 PM »
Hello folks,

I've been lurking for a few weeks now, absorbing all the articles on the blog, and turning wheels in my head to get the wheels moving toward FIRE.

I'm 29 next month, living off a single 26,000-ish income with my wife and 2 year old son. I just received a modest 2.5% raise which will bring me about an extra grand a year, but I am not sure if this should be contributed to my 401K or put away for our nest egg.

I know it won't be as easy for me to to reach FIRE as the many engineers who have similar goals, but I am determined to live by the principals and enjoy a simpler, more frugal life. See you guys around.

jordy913

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2021 on: March 24, 2015, 02:00:44 PM »
Hi everyone! New here!

Been lurking for a while, but really inspired by all the discussion here. I'm 27, new resident to CO and newly married. I discovered the world of FIRE in January and you guessed it, I'm hooked. I'm hoping that by getting involved it will help keep me motivated.

Looking forward to chatting.

El Diablo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2022 on: March 24, 2015, 05:16:29 PM »
Hi, older than many round here it seems being 52 but it is never too late, living in the UK with my partner and 2 kids (17 & 15) and really looking at how I can make that step to retire sooner rather than later.

With new UK pension legislation kicking in next month, I can access those funds from 55, so I can probably make the step then for sure on a modest basis as always been careful (not to MMM levels ) and our only debt is a mortgage (tremendously low cost one).

Have a well paid job (13 years service now) that I don't just hate, but have actually detested now for the past 3 years and not sure I can keep up the facade for much longer.

Goal is to make the step out of the rat race as soon as I can through flexing and exercising those financial muscles - find some bravery to make the decision and go for it !

Arzosah

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2023 on: March 24, 2015, 05:17:59 PM »
Another newbie signing in :)   from the UK, England.  I've been reading MMM for a while now, and never made it to the forum - ecstatic to discover how big it is, and the focus on FI is exactly what I need.  I own my own house, almost own an investment apartment in France (3 and a half years to go) pension fund of just over £110k.  Two problems: income is way, way down, and my efforts to increase it are hampered by ill health.  And age, oops.  Okay, three problems.

ETA - and while I was writing, another UK-er has posted in this thread.  Hello!

TheFixer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Getting smarter, 1 facepunch at a time
« Reply #2024 on: March 25, 2015, 08:42:54 AM »
Hi everybody.  I found the MMM blog a few weeks ago while doing taxes, doing google search for retirement account or somesuch.  It immediately sucked me in.  Been reading several blog posts/day since then, almost caught up to realtime.  My wife & I are 47 and have been very mustachian for about 21 years.  Never had a loan for a car, only buy used vehicle w/ manny trannies that are easily & cheaply maintained, keep the t-stat low, no central AC, buy good food cheap, insource everything, use the library...  By radically reducing our household expenditures, we both have been able to be under-employed for many years now.  I'm realizing now that we only got half the equation right.  If we had continued at our post-college Mcjobs for several more years we could have saved enough for FI and really had almost no need for employment.  As it is, we only need to bring in $25K/yr to pay the mortgage/food/car.

So now, rather belatedly, we are attempting to increase savings rate while still young-ish to allow for a more secure 'semi-retiremement' or whatever this lifestyle is that we have.  Already learned a lot from the blog and lurking on this forum, with more growth on the near horizon.

Hot_AZ

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2025 on: March 25, 2015, 09:39:29 AM »
Hi all!
Shelle here.  I'm 44, have one kiddo (6) and one husband (thank god, i can only handle one).
Feel like i'm way behind, here to get inspiration, advice, guidance and to kick some butt. 
Would love to FIRE by 55 (i know, way later than most here). 

Nice to "meet" everyone.

Tenormadness

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2026 on: March 25, 2015, 12:08:18 PM »
Hello folks!

James here. 26, with a sizable amount of debt. I discovered this blog last week, as a result of looking for budgeting info. This whole FIRE business is unheard of for me. Basically I'm looking to take control of my finances, and would like to know if these techniques are possible on a lower (under 30k) income.

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2027 on: March 25, 2015, 12:57:42 PM »
Stumbled across this blog and have been reading a lot of the old posts over the last several days.  My wife and I have been doing a lot of the financial habits recommended in the blog, but definitely not all of them (not that we're likely to change those "bad" habits entirely, but I appreciate the insight and analysis offered here). 

We feel like we're in solid financial shape, and are looking at what to do in terms of investment outside of retirement accounts, including perhaps rental property (-ies).

This site has gotten me to take a good look at retirement planning, as we haven't paid any real attention to the concepts of (1) what we actually need ($) to retire, and (2) when can we reach that number.  We've just been focusing on maxing out savings in retirement accounts and paying down our mortgage fast.  No debt other than the mortgage.

Some initial calculations suggest that retirement from the rat race could be a lot sooner than we had previously guessed, and I'm getting excited about that prospect.

Landlord2015

• Bristles
« Reply #2028 on: March 25, 2015, 01:06:32 PM »
Hi everyone:). I am from Finland, Europe. As my username might indicate I am landlord(though not millionaire or very rich) and rent apartments to other people. I am not millionaire... but I rent a few apartments but have debt...

Anyway I am mature means at least 30+ but I have eaten antioxidants and stuff and still looking for a wife:). I am not open about my exact age and I find it personal information and sorry I don't date the whole world:)

This seems like a great site... and I want to retire young or well before normal pension age... I don't consider doing a bit landlord like much work but retire as don't need to work for anyone or don't need to be entrepreneur 40 hours/week or more. I am not entrepreneur currently.

Wealth is not everything and I like sports on my free time... and I think staying healthy is good... and enjoying life is nice... I do like to travel sometimes and I like movies and TV shows.

Ariane524

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2029 on: March 25, 2015, 04:31:37 PM »
Hi, I'm Cathy.  I'm a late-blooming proto-Mustachian on a slower-than-I'd-like road to financial freedom.  I come here daily for my dose of information, inspiration, and therapeutic kicks in the butt.  Thanks for providing this forum!

handsnhearts

• Bristles
« Reply #2030 on: March 25, 2015, 04:58:00 PM »
Hi Mustachians! 
I found out about FIRE this year when I was trying to figure out saving vs student loan pay down.  MMM is great and gives me much food for thought.  I started a journal too, if anyone wants to check it out. 

Currently in LA but moving to Oakland in May and can't wait!

apricity

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2031 on: March 26, 2015, 09:52:42 AM »
Hi!  I have lurking for just a week or so. I stumbled across MMM when someone mentioned it in a comment in another blog and I was intrigued by the name.

I am early-thirties, married with 2 kids. We live in FL.  What I really appreciate about MMM so far is the anti-consumerism and anti-jonesism. I don't know how I feel about retiring early-- I am recently back in the workforce after being a SAHP for many years. I loved being able to do that, but I feel like we are now very behind in terms of savings. Although we've never been extravagant, we haven't used much financial logic in the past and this forum is already helping me work on that!

Just a week or so ago, I thought that when our Mazda5 is paid off in a few months, I'd treat myself to a brand new minivan.  I really need it for our 2 kids, right?!  NO!  Self face-punch!  After spending just a few days on the forum I realized what a dumb idea that was!  Now I feel excited about taking the money I was spending on car payments and paying myself!

Thanks, MMM!  I look forward to learning more from all of you.

seannike

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2032 on: March 26, 2015, 08:02:33 PM »
Hi!, My name is Sean, I'm married for 23 years with two kids ages 14 and 18.  We live in Columbus, Oh. Debt free except house. Looking forward to meet several people on this awesome forum and more importantly learning something new to apply to my financial situation!

Sean

Ysera

• Stubble
« Reply #2033 on: March 27, 2015, 12:14:19 AM »
Hello! My name is Jessica. I'm 33 and married and I have been lurking on the MMM blog for a few weeks now. I've had relatively good money sense most of my life (paid things off, worked through college, zero student loans, love thrift shopping), although I'm married to more of a spender, so our stash needs some work. We currently have a $325K net worth including home equity.

I was lucky early in my career to work with a retired army NCO who drilled it into my head that I needed to max out my 401K limit every year, which my husband and I both did on his advice. Another co-worker recently retired after a lifetime of not saving money and told me I should stuff $250K into an annuity and never work another day in my life. Now that I have found the MMM method, I better understand what he meant and how to make my money work for me. My husband and I would very much like to give up the rat race and buy our freedom before we are too old or sick from stress to enjoy it. We look at others retiring at traditional ages in our high stress field of work, and it is frightening how physically and mentally broken the career has left them. It's not worth it.

Anyhow, nice to meet you all! :)

Raislin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2034 on: March 27, 2015, 02:04:45 PM »
Hello!  My name is Greg.  I've been making a lot of financial and lifestyle changes in the past couple of months.  In doing so, I came across this website and it's given me something to be excited about and something aim for.

Turnbull

• Stubble
« Reply #2035 on: March 27, 2015, 07:06:36 PM »
Hello everyone, David here. Longtime lurker, finally decided to register. I'm married with two kids and we live in Tennessee.

daffyduck

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Now look, here's a house full of bees
« Reply #2036 on: March 27, 2015, 10:57:58 PM »
Hey everyone!

My name is Tony and I live near Seattle, WA, USA and I'm 35 years old. I work as a software engineer 'by day' and also run a 10 acre permaculture farm with my partner raising pigs, chickens, ducks, turkeys, rabbits, and sheep.

I ran across ERE around 9 months ago after listening to Paul Wheaton's interview with Jacob Lund Fisker. I quickly became as obsessed with financial independence as I am with farming, and have gone from never before being able to budget to now being on track to save over 60% of my net income during 2015. My goal is become FI by the end of 2018 by drastically reducing my cost of living and investing in passive income generating assets.

So far, I am in love with the simpler lifestyle, one that more directly aligns my choices with my values. My main struggles are:

• Providing unstructured and recuperation time - between a full time career, the farm, and this new obsession with FI, time for spontaneity and rest is hard to come by. This could probably be better explained as a symptom of my indoctrination into the church of productivity, where one is measured by what one does rather than what one is, and that every moment not spent in maximum productivity or maximum recreation is a moment wasted.
  • Finding like-minded folks to connect with, both for friendship and for professional relationships (like finding someone who can mentor me in the crazy world of backdoor Roth IRAs, and other tax optimization strategies). Most of the things I'm excited about (both farming and FI) are not that interesting to the average person.
  • Closely examining my spending. While I'm not too worried about this yet because I'm on track for my 2015 savings goal, I do find that it's much more fun for me to learn about how to generate passive income (Dividend stocks, real estate, drop-ship websites, &c) than it is to put my spending under the microscope and attempt to live as well as possible on as little as possible. Of course, success at this will have a much more predictable impact on my FI date than on the astuteness with which I invest.

Anyway, I am glad to be joining you folks who seem to be crazy in the same way I am.

MoneyStubble

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2037 on: March 28, 2015, 02:45:46 PM »
I'm Ross, and I came here trying to figure out what to do with an inheritance.  I'm.. well.  New to all of this.  I've never saved anything, and now I have this impending chunkof change to try and figure out what to do with.  I figured the worst thing I could do would be to screw it up.  So.  There's that. 

I'm from Nebraska. 

If you didn't know:  Omaha's the 4th cheapest city to live in, the housing costs are low, and unemployment's holding steady below 3%.  Taking this into consideration, i anticipate a nice, steady transition to this mustachianism thing.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, etc.

wynr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2038 on: March 29, 2015, 12:00:56 AM »
Hello All,
I have been reading the blog for several months and implementing some of the MMM habits.  I am 52 years old, and about 7 months into a new job (love the company, but not the job - strange, I know).  I am married and have 3 kids, one in the US Army, one going into collage next year, and one a freshman in high school.  Our net worth is 1.6M + 1M for our house (living in the SF Bay Area).

For some reason, before reading this blog - I thought that I would need to work another 15 years.  But wow, now I know that I could quit my job anytime!  That really reduced my stress level at work - thanks Mr Money Mustache!

I always read that as Mr Money Must-stash!

MATSG

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2039 on: March 30, 2015, 09:12:40 AM »
Hello all,

I'm a 31 year old single gal from the great state of Kentucky.  I, like so many, have been lurking on this blog for a couple of years, reading it, sharing it and doing my best to grow my badassity.  I discovered MMM from the now defunct Man vs Debt blog after a conversation with my boss which ended with me in tears.   He wanted to know why I kept working my job when I seemed to hate it so much, and I had to tell him it was because of my 32k grad school loans.   Having to fess up to why I continued to show up was a big old smack in the face.  I knew I had to do something.

That was in late 2012.  I've been debt free for over a year, and I did all those fun crazy things to get here - taking the bus instead of driving (my company pays for my pass), getting a second job (which I still work and love) and finding myself a roommate.     Now, I am just trying to stack the cash, grow the 'stache and live more efficiently in every way possible.  I figured I may as well stop siphoning off the knowledge and encouragement from this community and join it.   

I'm looking forward to getting to know more of you through this forum.   I find I don't talk too much to others about what I am doing, largely because they don't seem to get it, think I'm nuts for pursuing this or just feel way too comfortable with their minimum monthly payments to imagine them going away, so I am hoping the MMM forum can become my outlet for such conversations.

Emily 

prestache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2040 on: March 30, 2015, 01:44:58 PM »
Hello all!  I've been lurking on this blog for a while, but have just recently signed up.  My wife and I are in our early-to-mid 30's, living in a very HCOL area.  We are newlyweds, fresh off a very non-mustachian wedding and honeymoon.  We are on the way to buying our first home together (well, my first, her second), and hoping to kick (or at least reduce) our bad financial habits.

Chris @ Saturday Financial

• Stubble
« Reply #2041 on: March 31, 2015, 09:34:02 AM »
Hello everyone!

I am 29 and my DW will soon be 27. Thankfully we both avoided debt before we got married. Shortly after the honeymoon, we put 10% down on a foreclosed townhouse that we purchased for $75,000.

During our nesting phase our savings rate dropped to about 15%, and sadly the nesting phase was becoming a new spending habit rather than simply a phase. It was fairly easy to save when we were single, but after being married it was very tempting to fall into the trap of thinking that it was just time grow up and start spending like "normal adults." HA! Thankfully we discovered MMM after about a year, and it was a breath of fresh air. Our previous inclination to save was revived, and this community gave us ideas that we hadn't even previously considered. We spent a few months making adjustments and optimizing, and things are just now settling down to autopilot. I figure it's time to register, and I look forward to contributing to the conversation occasionally.

Net worth (including equity): ~45k
Combined annual income (after tax): ~60k
Current savings rate: ~50%

fossilhog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2042 on: March 31, 2015, 11:57:45 PM »
Greetings and hallucinations!
I'm a 3 year or so veteran of MMM. I've had some relapses, but for the most part, doing well. My better half introduced me to MMM years ago after all this changed her life. We now live in 400sq in Anchorage, AK and are saving pretty well. I'm finally on here because...*pause for effect*...it looks like we're going to buy a car finally *dum dum dummmmm*. And I have some thoughts to throw on wise minds.

Rutes

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2043 on: April 01, 2015, 11:02:59 AM »
Hello all,
I've been lurking on the site for almost a year now, trying to become more Mustachian all the time. I think I'm hitting the point where I might need some advice specific to my situation rather than just being able to follow general guidelines. This site has been a huge help so far in getting my money and really my entire life sorted out.

Taswegian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2044 on: April 02, 2015, 07:18:18 AM »
Hi,
Real southerner here from Tasmania, Australia. Just got in to the blog, even the idea of FIRE was an eye opener. Wife & I are already on the get rich slowly path to retiring at 55 or so, but the thought that we could skip a decade or so seems mighty enticing. Just gotta find a way to re-jig our spending to get closer to the magicsl realm of 50% savings rate.
Wish me luck, and same to you , :)

Guava

• Stubble
« Reply #2045 on: April 02, 2015, 08:47:59 AM »
Hello, I am Guava. I have been lurking here for quite awhile and finally decided to post.  I am in my mid twenties and living in the midwest. Since I was a teenager I have said I wanted to retire at 45 and, with the exception of my parents,  have mostly been told by everyone that it is impossible. Now that I have found others with the same ambition, I am hoping my dream becomes reality!

Rincewind

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2046 on: April 02, 2015, 08:53:10 AM »
Hi.
25 year old UK student here. Been reading MMM articles for about a year.
Handle my money with YNAB.

I intention upon leaving school was to get a 100k a year job, live on 10k for a few years, buy a house and quit my job.
A few years after drifting and forgetting that dream, I found MMM and realised it wasn't a completely ridiculous way of thinking!

Hoping to train my stashing muscles before I get qualified and shovel money away from the get go.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 09:01:48 AM by Rincewind »

trobertson79

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2047 on: April 02, 2015, 05:10:31 PM »
Hello everyone,

Long time lurker first time poster. I came over here from the ERE website where I first learned about the concept of FI and early "retirement". I am a 25 year old Physical Therapy student living in Boston. I am interested in learning all kinds of new skills and meeting people who are looking to do the same. Goals are to become a competent handyman, fix my car/bike, improve my cooking skills, learn how to juggle 4 balls, understand finance and investing etc. Glad to be here and participate! Would be interested to meet up with anyone in the Boston area.

Sam

Sam if you're still around I'm in Boston, can juggle 5 balls, and such, happy to meet up and talk

Gas Panic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2048 on: April 05, 2015, 12:55:43 PM »
Hello!
I have been subscribing to the blog for a while.

Fist I thought it was interesting, but stupid. Now I get it.
Kickstarted my career with Mustachianism today, after reading&thinking quite a bit the last few days.

Todays I spent ca 90 minutes cancelling a few subs and cards I dont need anyway & bought some stuff I need in bulk instead of every 2nd month. Total saving on 90 mins: USD 627 :)

stache nation

« Reply #2049 on: April 05, 2015, 03:15:14 PM »
Hello from vancouver,

I have been following the blog for about 2 years now but finally decided to play a more active role. Given my current savings rate and a pension, my estimate for FI is at 55. Looking to mingle with other like minded people and share stories about the moustachian way of life.