Author Topic: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself  (Read 3315940 times)

nicknageli

Re: Say Hi and Introduce Yourself
« Reply #1100 on: February 20, 2014, 11:53:09 AM »
Can't wait to dig into the forums and light this fire cracker!

Welcome!

Grant Q

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1101 on: February 20, 2014, 12:54:44 PM »
Hi All, I'm Grant.  I found the blog about a year ago while searching for instructions on how to pour a concrete shower pan!  Have read every article since then...it's been a life-changer for me.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #1102 on: February 20, 2014, 01:16:46 PM »
Hi All, I'm Grant.  I found the blog about a year ago while searching for instructions on how to pour a concrete shower pan!  Have read every article since then...it's been a life-changer for me.
I don't know you well yet but I just wanted to remark that you have good taste in names.

k8henderson

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1103 on: February 20, 2014, 04:34:43 PM »
Hi I'm Kate! got two kids, 3yo boy and a 7mo girl. its an expensive time in my life! I like to knit and sew and all that because it I have a fabric/yarn problem saves us so much money. ha!

genselecus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1104 on: February 20, 2014, 05:25:49 PM »
Hi all, my name is Ballin and I'm new to the MMM forum. I've been reading the blog for a while now (recommended by the older and wiser sister) and wish that there was always a new article waiting for me, but alas MMM has a life or something... Anyways I can bum around in the forum when I don't feel like doing work for my job. I'm 26, studied engineering in undergrad, now live in the SF bay area (Oakland), and work for a small consulting company that has me traveling on a consistent basis. I'm hoping to be retired in the next 10 - 15 years and have learned a ton since following MMM which has given the me push to get there.

I also want to point out how awesome this community is. Just reading the most recent few pages on this thread shows just how amazing the people are here. We all come from different backgrounds, live in different places, have different jobs and goals, and yet we have found this common place to learn and grow. Thanks everyone (and a big thanks to MMM) for making this an incredible experience and journey.

Bärtle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1105 on: February 21, 2014, 04:48:06 PM »
Hi,I am Bärtle,38 years old and married.I am originally from Germany but live a town over from MMM now.
Our hair is on fire but we are determined to get it done by July or August this year.

Willbrewer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1106 on: February 21, 2014, 06:55:51 PM »
Hi,

My name is Bill, and I just found out about MMM yesterday, and was up until past midnight checking out the blog articles. I haven't made the best choices with my money over the last few years, but did manage to buy a new travel trailer and pickup truck in 2011 (both free and clear). I sold my house and have been living in the Arizona desert this winter. Rent for 7 months is a total of $180. My expenses are pretty low. And the southern AZ weather is awesome in the winter!

However... my income is drying up, so I will be looking for a job when I get back up to Seattle next month. Then I can start investing the greater part of my earnings to build up my retirement fund. That's the plan.

overseas_stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1107 on: February 22, 2014, 02:15:08 AM »
Hi - I am overseas_stache!  As the name implies, I'm an American working in the Middle East now.  I love this blog!  The combination of humor, optimism, math, and practical skills is unique on the personal finance interwebs.

Only thing I don't like is how bruised I feel from having to punch myself in the face after reading almost every article!  I thought I had the MMM ethos, but, boy was I wrong.  Time for a serious reboot.

Adios ... from Saudi Arabia.

PennyMinder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1108 on: February 22, 2014, 01:35:18 PM »
Hello All!

I've been reading this blog and forums for a while now and decided I should join in.  My family has always been fairly mustache like, but because of a couple bumps in the road and perhaps a lack of understanding compound interest we are a bit behind in our retirement plans.  I intend to remedy that! 

MinimalistMoustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1109 on: February 22, 2014, 02:37:35 PM »
Hi Fellow Mustachians!

I've submitted a few posts, just realizing I've not yet introduced myself :-) I am 57 years, living/working in Seattle, WA, mother of one (adult).

First found MMM a little over two years ago, but seriously had difficulty getting through the "face punch" references (I know, my issues). About a month ago, I started to read the blog again -- this time, in earnest. At first, I felt very late to the FI party. Though I live rather simply, I've had expensive "binge" splurges throughout the years and given away/donated a huge amount of my income. In hindsight, this was not financially the best course of action, particularly before paying into a retirement fund.

While I don't expect FI before I'm 60, I believe it's never too late and there is never too little that can be learned. I would appreciate some financial insights. Later this weekend, I'd like to post some questions to "Ask a Mustachian."

Glad to be here!

anne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1110 on: February 22, 2014, 07:37:47 PM »
Hi Guys -

I'm a bookkeeper by day and artist by night and weekend. Married to a musician. We've always considered ourselves to be pretty frugal, but after reading the blog we realize there's still plenty of room for improvement! Grateful for all the specific advice as well as enjoying the more abstract/philosophical posts.

Working at paying off my student loans while still carving out time for the art stuff.

Cheers,

Anne

Carlsky

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1111 on: February 24, 2014, 10:44:54 AM »
Hi All

My name is Dan, I am in Kingston, Ontario.  I discovered YNAB last year and discovered MMM through his interview with Jesse.  I was blown away by the simple math for retirement and decided to start following the blog.  MMM is the reason I ride my bike to work every day even the stupidly cold days.   I have been following the blog for the past 4 months and really enjoy the articles.  Right now my wife and I are working away at reducing our monthly expenses and pay off our light of credit.

Cheers,
Dan

Murdoch

• Stubble
« Reply #1112 on: February 24, 2014, 05:23:45 PM »
Hi all,

I came across MMM through the Bogleheads forum. After a year of reading and absorbing investing books and forum topics over there it gave me a great understanding of investing principles.

I finished the last MMM article yesterday (read them all in chronological order) after coming here 4weeks ago and feel that MMM has really educated me on the spending/cost side, rather than the earning/investing side. Together, this combination is a powerful force pushing towards FI.

I'm a 29 year old Australian living in North Queensland, a hospital doctor by trade, live with my fiancé who is a high school teacher, and we are both pretty frugal and excited about FI.

Planning to start a journal on this forum to keep track of how we are going financially, and to keep myself on the straight and narrow. Hoping to keeping reading and learning from others.

Cheers
Murdoch

Ms. Peachfuzz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1113 on: February 26, 2014, 02:54:11 PM »
Hi everyone!

I'm a 29 year old living in Alberta Canada (a very non-mustachian place) and I've been following this blog / reading the forums for a few weeks and decided I should join in. I'm so excited to find a place full of like minded people since I've been a frugal saver my whole life, unlike my friends or family. I'm looking forward to learning  from all of you. 

Cheers!

fadedsunrise

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1114 on: February 27, 2014, 02:32:34 PM »
Hi!

Law student, 23, single, and in too much debt. Found this blog about a week ago through another and have been reading through it slowly between classes. Looking forward to an income and to facepunches! (or roundhouse kicks, since my favorite hobby is taekwondo).

CompoundingRocks

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1115 on: February 28, 2014, 02:43:42 AM »
Hey peeps

a mate told me about this place and great to see like-minded people around!

look forward to interacting with youz

as you can tell - yes, I'm an Aussie!
=)

peppermint

• Stubble
« Reply #1116 on: March 01, 2014, 03:42:07 PM »
Hi everyone. I've been reading MMM for awhile but just signed up for the forums. I'm a 30 year old research scientist, Canadian but now living in the Triangle area of North Carolina. Having been in school forever and then working in academia, I've gotten used to being frugal. Trying to be smart and proactive about personal finance. I have a small car loan I'm in the process of paying off but no debts otherwise. Looking forward to learning from everyone :)

Tai

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1117 on: March 01, 2014, 05:49:46 PM »
Hi, I'm a single mom in my 40s living in expensive Toronto. I do some things right like renting close to work and using public transportation, but I still have some cc debt and a bit of a restaurant habit so there's lots of room for improvement. I've already learned a ton reading the blog and looking through the forums, and it's good to have encouragement. Maybe some day I'll actually be brave enough to hang out my financial dirty laundry!

Rudem3

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1118 on: March 02, 2014, 12:08:47 PM »
Hello!

I'm a 26 year old with 32k left on SL debt. I started out with 50k debt and not able to find a job in my field. I recently threw 10k after saving money while only paying the minimum balance of the loans! Doh! Either way, my eyes were opened and the #1 priority is to get out of debt by the end of 2015.

I'm currently back in school which is being paid for by my company and I'm getting paid while I go. I really lucked out! I can't wait to get these paid off and actually have a (real) savings and life!

Matt

MustachianWays

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1119 on: March 02, 2014, 01:39:40 PM »
Hi All,

I'm a 23 year old that discovered MMM about a month ago. I've been devouring the site and forums ever since. Turns out I have been a practicing Mustachian without knowing anything about MMM! I read Millionaire Next Door about a year ago and it only confirmed my already frugal approach to life.

Current stats:
Income: ~$80K
Savings Rate: ~65-70%
Net Worth: ~$42,500 (401k: ~$28,000, Roth IRA: ~$5,600, Traditional IRA: ~$1,000, Cash: ~$8,000, Debt: $0)

My short-term goal is to reach $100k net worth by May 2015 and hopefully soon after invest in a rental property, once I get properly educated and have enough for a downpayment. I'm currently thinking about a duplex where I can also live (perhaps a basement apartment). Long-term goal: retire around 30 (easier said than done)

Looking forward to learning a lot from the site!

Joelle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1120 on: March 04, 2014, 07:10:26 AM »
Hi All,

I'm Joelle. I'm 46 (I will turn 47 next week!). I'm French, and I live in the Paris suburbs, which is an incredibly expensive place to live in.
I have been married for 2 years.
I discovered MMM 3 months ago, just after discovering YNAB (I was looking for a tool to manage my Personal Finance).
I had never thought of retiring earlier than the legal age here in France (62)!!
I am quite far from FI...
For now, my objective is to at least spend less than I make (while continuing to pay for the mortgage, saving a bit for retirement... and paying all the taxes we have here...).
I am glad to be here.

Cheers.

Ftao93

• Stubble
« Reply #1121 on: March 04, 2014, 08:41:07 AM »
I'm Ryan, long time reader/lurker.

I make money at my corporate job whilst surfing in between, learning more and more!

dragonstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1122 on: March 04, 2014, 10:27:51 AM »
Hello!

I'm really excited to be here. I discovered MMM a couple of weeks ago and have slowly read most of everything. I think that its safe to say I'm an early retirement addict.

I've always been frugal by nature, but never really understood saving to invest. A couple of years ago I lived in a tent and on a farm for free while working full time, then worked two jobs while living in a ski town. I was able to save a couple of thousand dollars on close to minimum wage, but I then blew it on a three month trip to South America :)). Didn't really understand saving, compound interest, and the shockingly simple math behind early retirement at the time, but I understood that material things and eating out weren't going to make me happy. I'd say it was good, productive, non consumerist, almost mustachian use of my life energy, as I created a memorable life experience, and learned a new skill (la capacidad hablar en espanol, casi con fluencia, y entender casi perfecto), as opposed to some new thing.

23 y/o, in the United states. Just graduated college now, and heading to graduate school next year, so my savings are going to be few and far between for the moment, but I'm just happy soaking up all the knowledge and experience via MMM and the forums. All of y'all are incredible; it takes an incredible amount of emotional courage and willingness to be vulnerable for you to open up your stories, life, struggles and triumphs on these forums, and I want you to know that it doesn't go unappreciated. I hope to be like you soon! But I already opened a Roth, and can't stop talking about FIRE with my friends!

My goal is not necessarily retirement, but FI and the ability to use my skills and energy in a manner that I see fit.

Happy to be here.

macskabagoly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1123 on: March 04, 2014, 11:21:28 AM »
Hi All,

I'm from Budapest, Hungary. I've been reading Mr. Money Mustache since last Summer and I recommended it to all of my friends. My goal is not FI but a happier life without buying things I don't need and being grateful for what I have.

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1124 on: March 04, 2014, 12:44:04 PM »
Hey everyone, I just started reading the blog a couple months ago and wanted to get involved in the forums.  I'm 39, married with 3 kids.  We've got a combined annual income of ~$100k, but have only recently been making this kind of money.  A couple of years ago, we were in the $60-70k range and yet we still weren't saving a whole lot more money.  My wife is definitely into the concept and we've started tracking our spending and plugging holes.  We just made the switch to Republic Wireless and should save about $1400/year.  I just opened a Roth IRA with $10k we had sitting in the bank earning (almost) nothing.  I've got about $95k in the 401k and about $14k in home equity.  By the end of this year the goal is to be over $150k in net worth - I think we can do better, but I'll be happy with that.  I'd like to hit FI within the next 5-7 years and drop out of the race entirely by age 50.  We also plan to use rental properties as part of our investment mix.

I do have one question for everyone - is there a link anywhere explaining what all of the acronyms mean?  I thought we had a lot of acronyms at work, this place might have it beat!

nicknageli

« Reply #1125 on: March 04, 2014, 01:27:29 PM »

pmk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1126 on: March 04, 2014, 01:43:14 PM »
Hi everyone! New to the MMM site, but have been absolutely devouring it the last couple days. I'm a 28 homemaker home with my daughter, DH is 30 and an Engineer in nanoscience. We live in upstate NY. We never considered ERE, but have always been very frugal (at least compared to our peers) and do love the idea of being FI sooner rather than later. I consider myself a minimalist, but always have some work to do simplifying. Reading this blog there are definitely some things in the past that I want to punch myself in the face for, but I'm excited to start this journey. Cant wait to get some advice. Thanks all!

Ticopowell

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1127 on: March 04, 2014, 02:37:52 PM »
Hey all,
I'm new to this whole FIRE thing, only started reading MMM a few weeks ago, and I have caught up to today's post a few days ago. I have already asked a few questions and received a few punches, and I expect to get more.
I am in the military, went to an academy, graduated 3 years ago, went to pilot training, and I have been flying my plane for almost a year now.
I am currently married with no kids, and I am trying to teach my wife the MMM ways.
Great talking to all of you and thanks for all the help!

Boganvillia

• Stubble
« Reply #1128 on: March 05, 2014, 12:44:27 AM »
Hi, I'm Boganvillia.

I have 3 kids and am 41. My partner and I have about $560k mortgage (including maxed out $60K LOC) on a $1M house, and full time jobs at $75k and $95k. On the plus side though, no c/c debt, and we own one mid-2000s hatchback outright for which we paid cash at the time of purchase.

I was a single parent a while back and acquired some good financial skills during that time, but have had some lifestyle inflation since. Partly as a result of that experience, I am all on board with the moral and social rectitude of Mustachianism.

Looking forward to being part of this online community :)

So, an update: 2 months in, here is my progress:

1) Monthly phone plan: switched from $65 down to $16
2) Superannuation: contacted the minor one of my two providers and changed investment strategy, and also corrected the rate it was wrongly being taxed (the default rate they apply is too high for my income, and there's a 'snooze, you lose' policy about advising the provider of correct tax rates). I pay reasonably close attention to my main super fund already, so that one's all fine.
3) Have advertised for a boarder. When we have someone in, that will bring in $250/wk tax free: $13K p.a. We could actually free up a second bedroom - which would mean $26,000 a year gross! And say, $20,000 net. BUT means putting the toddlers in the same room and one is a poor sleeper and I don't know if we are badass enough to disrupt our sleep. Are we?
4) Plan to contact the kids' superannuation fund and switch their strategies to aggressive, seeing as the kids won't be allowed to touch it for 50-60 years anyway.
5) I wrote to my brother letting him know that we owe so much on the mortgage, and we have such an ambitious early retirement target (within 9 years), that there'll be no bought presents from us for this decade. But also that we love them all nonetheless :) Will widen this message across the rest of our family over through the course of this year as birthdays etc com up.
6) We are both taking our lunches to work and have stopped buying takeaway coffees: $2k annually saved.
7) Are looking at ways to reduce our child care bill.
8) Have switched power companies. Unfortunately at the mention of power companies I fall asleep so my partner has handled this one, but I am given to believe that yes, we are saving.
9) Have halved our water bill through handwatering (or not watering!) the garden and taking navy showers.
10) Our weekly grocery bill is currently $280 for a family five plus hangers on (nanny, guests, etc). This is the next main opportunity. I have contacted a business-to-business supermarket - a wholesaler, essentially - who've said they'll let me shop there without being a cardholder, such as businesses are entitled to be. They've got a whole bunch of bulk products. That should help. I've also tried to buy on ebay some second hand cloth nappies but wasn't successful last time - will give it another go.
11) Siphoning off $50/week into a savings a/c - by May we will have set up an account on an online trading platform and I'll have researched the companies in which we will at that time initially invest our first little lump sum.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 06:35:10 PM by Boganvillia »

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1129 on: March 05, 2014, 06:44:07 AM »
Hello ducky (!) Great handle by the way, welcome. This thread includes a link to general personal finance TLAs: FAQ, although they are not specific to this site. Lots of other good stuff in there too.
I've seen this link posted on the MMM forum before.

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f47/acronyms-and-slang-frequently-used-on-the-forum-34884.html

Great, thanks for the welcome and the info!  I've had the nickname Ducky since I was a kid and gave my sister a kiss with duck lips - just sort of stuck!  =)

MrCash

• Stubble
    • OurCashHouse
« Reply #1130 on: March 06, 2014, 05:20:14 PM »
Hello!

I am a new grad beginning my journey toward Financial Independence.  I am a huge fan of Mr. Money Mustache and the rest of the FI community.  I am almost done reading through the entire collection of MMM posts.

Mr. MM has also inspired me to start my own blog in which I will be documenting my FI adventures.  I look forward to getting to know you all!

Mr. Cash

SweetLife

• Bristles
« Reply #1131 on: March 07, 2014, 06:51:24 AM »
Hi All,

I'm Joelle. I'm 46 (I will turn 47 next week!). I'm French, and I live in the Paris suburbs, which is an incredibly expensive place to live in.
I have been married for 2 years.
I discovered MMM 3 months ago, just after discovering YNAB (I was looking for a tool to manage my Personal Finance).
I had never thought of retiring earlier than the legal age here in France (62)!!
I am quite far from FI...
For now, my objective is to at least spend less than I make (while continuing to pay for the mortgage, saving a bit for retirement... and paying all the taxes we have here...).
I am glad to be here.

Cheers.

Welcome to MMM !!! I have been on here for only 4 months now and with the help/encouragement and face punches I have already paid off one high interest rate credit card ... so enjoy!!! There are wonderful people from all over the world on here!

Vorpal

• Stubble
« Reply #1132 on: March 07, 2014, 07:09:15 AM »
Hi!

I'm 36, married with one child, and have been seriously travelling the FI road for about a year. I started off reading Financial Samurai's articles (some of which are great, while others...), and user comments on that site pointed me toward MMM. MMM really resonates with me on several levels, and so my personal approach is more MMM than FS.

ratrationale

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Rat Rationale
« Reply #1133 on: March 07, 2014, 05:14:04 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm 30, living in Ontario Canada, aiming for financial independence and just love climbing (bouldering). 

LisaCO

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Balancing finances, health and life
« Reply #1134 on: March 07, 2014, 06:09:23 PM »
hi -
I'm Lisa and live down the Diagonal Highway from MMM.  I found this blog about a month ago and finally decided to join the forum.  I love the blog.  It's helped to to evaluate the value received for my spending.  In place of the typical battling devil and angel on my shoulders, I have a battling mini-MMM and a complainypants.  My goal has always been to retire at 55 which is now (gulp) 7 years away.  My husband is already retired and I'd love to spend more time with him.  I'm looking forward to receiving guidance (and face punches) from the forum.

Bourbon Belle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1135 on: March 08, 2014, 02:42:04 PM »
Hi all! I've been reading the blog for a while and finally made it over to forums. I'm looking forward to learning what the larger MMM community is up to.

As for me... I'm 33, single (divorced), no kids. Moved from DC metro to Raleigh, NC last year and the lower cost of living has helped tremendously. I've recently paid off my debts and now looking forward to working toward FI. Also, I like bourbon. :)

Sunshine23

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1136 on: March 10, 2014, 12:07:45 PM »
Hi everyone - I've been reading the blog for a couple weeks, and I love it! I thought I'd add to the forum because I want to start feeling a bit more "a part" of the community.
My name is Shyanne, I'm 22 years old and live in Salt Lake City, Utah. I am not married, I do have a boyfriend but since he's only contributing to the debt part of finances, I don't think that'll be lasting much longer. I have always been a spender and not a saver. Still trying to get that mind-set OUT of my head. I have made over $100,000 in my life and have spent it all. So I suck. Not to mention the CC Debt/Car loan/student loan. So I REALLY suck. It's not going to be easy to change, but I think reading MMM will help a lot! Being so young, I feel that I am ahead of most of my peers. I didn't finish college but I have a career that pays $40,000+ without a degree. I honestly never considered retiring early (I just started working!) but now, it definitely would be a possibility for me. Especially once I find a guy that has a good job/priorities as well. My goal is to get out of all my debt and then start saving. Hopefully you guys can help inspire me, and I can inspire you as well!

Good Luck to my fellow "Stubble" MMs. :)

thefrugalweds

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • the frugalweds
« Reply #1137 on: March 10, 2014, 04:22:09 PM »
Hi everyone, :-)
It's great to meet everyone here.  My husband and I are new PF bloggers and have had a great welcome from the PF community since we started in January (including by Mrs.MM)!! 
We're a newlywed couple in our early 30's - living a frugal lifestyle, saving & investing our money well, just erased my husband's student loans, no CC debt, with every intention to retire in the next several years to travel the world full time.

We're very excited to get to know everyone here :-)

Love,
Anneli & Carlos of thefrugalweds.com

katie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1138 on: March 10, 2014, 09:43:03 PM »
Hi All!  Long time reader of the blog and lurker of the forum and decided I should finally join in the discussion. :)  We live in SW Idaho, I am 33 with an almost 2 year old and a 3 week old.  We are not FI, but should be in the next couple of years.  My husband "retired" from his engineering day job when our oldest was born to run his hobby-turned-business full time and stay home with our daughter.  I am hoping to make a career change myself and get out of engineering.  We are both pretty frugal and I love hearing the ideas of others.  Plus, it is nice to talk to others that are excited about saving money and being frugal - seems to be hard to find people like that these days!

schneiguy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1139 on: March 11, 2014, 12:48:18 AM »
Hi everyone!  I'm a single/unattached 32-year-old guy living in the suburbs of Chicago, and I work as a casino manager... outrageously un-mustachian, I know, but it keeps the fire hose of income flowing steadily, and all I do is play games for a living.  I've been a reader for a year or two.  After I polished off the archives, I found myself craving more content, which led me to lurk here, realize you guys have a terrific forum, and now finally join up.  Sadly (but predictably) there aren't many folks sharing my frugal views at my workplace, so I'm glad to have found this oasis in the desert!  At my current pace I should be comfortably FI at around age 50, but I'm looking forward to sharpening my skills, building the 'stache, and knocking a few years off that estimate.

gobius

• Stubble
« Reply #1140 on: March 11, 2014, 07:45:17 AM »
Lurker for about 4-5 months on the blog posts, lurker on the forum for about a month or two.  29/M living in the Midwest, engaged to be married later this year.  Can't remember how I found this blog; probably from reading MSN Money or the moneylifeandmore blog.  This blog and ERE are almost all I read on the Internet now.  JLCollins is another.

Graduated college 6 years ago with an engineering degree and paid off student loan debt ($45K) after about 2 years.  Currently looking to downsize my house (and mortgage payment).  My fiance is now reading this blog after I kept telling her about it.  I/we have used quite a bit of advice from here already (such as MMM's salad dressing, picking a house that is conducive to biking, and me finally realizing I should be maxing my 401(k) since I'm in the 25% tax bracket).

Have about $90K debt on a $120K house but no other debt.  Savings rate has always been about 40-60% post-tax w/o including mortgage or 401(k); hoping to increase even more with a new house (although this will be countered by an increased 401(k) contribution).  Fiance is relatively frugal but has always found finances boring so she doesn't try tracking it; that is slowly changing thanks to this blog. 

Family and coworkers know me as the cheap one, although it is more of a term of endearment than anything else (at least to my face).  Many of my coworkers have mustachian tendencies (fix their own cars, cut their own hair), but still like their nice vehicles, expensive toys and big houses.  Most save in our 401(k) (which is ran by Vanguard).  My family is much less mustachian, particularly my sisters and dad (my parents have a Harley, a boat, and an RV; they probably use these a combined 10 days per year).  A few years ago I told my dad I was going to retire before he does (he's 52).  Sadly enough for him, I'm on track to actually do that.  He's part of the inspiration for me being frugal: he hates his job but has had such bad spending habits over the years, plus he doesn't have a lot of transferable skills to make really good money in other  industries, so he's stuck.  I do NOT want to be like that.

nicknageli

« Reply #1141 on: March 11, 2014, 09:13:45 AM »
A few years ago I told my dad I was going to retire before he does (he's 52).  Sadly enough for him, I'm on track to actually do that.  He's part of the inspiration for me being frugal: he hates his job but has had such bad spending habits over the years, plus he doesn't have a lot of transferable skills to make really good money in other  industries, so he's stuck.  I do NOT want to be like that.

I hear you.  That's the main reason I'm as frugal as I am now.  I've watched my parents fritter money away for years when they could have been long retired and living much less stressful lives.  Even when they would get a stock windfall or inheritance it just gets blown.

gobius

• Stubble
« Reply #1142 on: March 11, 2014, 10:52:53 AM »
A few years ago I told my dad I was going to retire before he does (he's 52).  Sadly enough for him, I'm on track to actually do that.  He's part of the inspiration for me being frugal: he hates his job but has had such bad spending habits over the years, plus he doesn't have a lot of transferable skills to make really good money in other  industries, so he's stuck.  I do NOT want to be like that.

I hear you.  That's the main reason I'm as frugal as I am now.  I've watched my parents fritter money away for years when they could have been long retired and living much less stressful lives.  Even when they would get a stock windfall or inheritance it just gets blown.

+1 on that, although I haven't seen my parents get a big stock windfall or inheritance (yet), but they currently make about $130K together.  What's also sad is that my dad handles the finances because my mom doesn't like dealing with them.  Plus, he's a stubborn type and she's pretty passive.  When I talk to her about it, she seems to agree with most of what I'm saying (she's naturally frugal but has been influenced by him for years), but she doesn't want to confront my dad about it.

DanielG

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1143 on: March 11, 2014, 12:37:26 PM »
Hi everyone here on MMM!

I am from South Africa and have decided to join the MMM community as I love the idea. I know that life here in SA is different and we can live on a lot less (because of the exchange rate, etc.) but nevertheless!

I am 25 and started my first job 3 months ago as a recently graduated mechanical engineer! I have already begun the registration process to become a professional engineer so hopefully in a few years time I will be able to put away large amounts of cash.

My dream is to live on a farm and raise meat and other vegetables for the small village that I will live in some day - be that abroad or here.

I have zero debt and a decent salary for a new graduate. I am moving out of home soon so that will be the real test - I hope to establish my Mustachian ways early on! I've grown up in a family that isn't wasteful at all so I know that I have a good background to carry me forward.

As a last idea - my brother and I are thinking of possibly moving to USA next year for a while to earn some good money while we're young. We may stay forever (I love USA and Canada) or we might come back home. Time will tell. I look forward to reading all your stories and tips. I'm glad I am part of the community now :)

Briansmama

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1144 on: March 11, 2014, 03:49:43 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I recently discovered MMM and after spending time reading through the archives and forum discussions, I'm learning a lot! My husband is naturally badass and we both value our independence and freedom (husband works for himself, we homeschool our 2 kids, we are a very active family and cook pretty much everything from scratch, etc). We are not yet FI but on the right track.

The MMM family and discussions here have really inspired me to be more frugal and spend less. One of the best ideas I've heard here is that there are so many activities/adventures/fun things to do that you may as well pick the free ones first! Since then we've been taking more hikes together and making special drinks at home instead of heading for cafés. I've been hitting the market every 2 weeks instead of every week and not only has that been a great way to spend less $$, it's freed up more time to play with my kids and exercise. Win-win!

Looking forward to learning more here.

Andy84

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1145 on: March 11, 2014, 08:01:34 PM »
I'm 30, and live in Abilene, TX.

I'm not at all on the right track for managing my money, but I'm trying to turn that around. I've been trying to turn a lot of things around lately, including recovering from years of deep and debilitating depression. I'm hoping that with my mental health improving that I can do something to improve my financial health as well. Financial Independence isn't something I ever really considered before, but MMM gives me hope that maybe I too can succeed.

MrCash

• Stubble
    • OurCashHouse
« Reply #1146 on: March 11, 2014, 10:35:12 PM »
I'm 30, and live in Abilene, TX.

I'm not at all on the right track for managing my money, but I'm trying to turn that around. I've been trying to turn a lot of things around lately, including recovering from years of deep and debilitating depression. I'm hoping that with my mental health improving that I can do something to improve my financial health as well. Financial Independence isn't something I ever really considered before, but MMM gives me hope that maybe I too can succeed.

Welcome Andy!  You are already well on your way because you are trying to increase your financial knowledge.  If you really want it and are willing to make changes, then you will succeed in building financial health and in achieving financial independence.  We're all here to help you along the way!

szmaine

• Stubble
« Reply #1147 on: March 12, 2014, 08:02:16 AM »
Hello

Hi I'm new...name is Suzanne.

Live in Maine, 47yo, 1 daughter, 15yo, husband 55yo.

Looking to beef up the financial outlook and cut the fat!

Nice to have found this site and have already benefited just by reading!

chuckmke

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1148 on: March 12, 2014, 01:02:48 PM »
Hi, I'm Chuck and I love reading MMM and many other personal finance blogs.

They have made a huge difference in my thinking and life and always look forward to getting new posts!

kwasibor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1149 on: March 12, 2014, 07:55:02 PM »
Hi All -

My name is Stefanie and I am just shy of my 29th birthday.  I have always been frugal and a saver but this blog has REALLY put me on the warpath to ratchet up me savings so I can FIRE as soon as possible.  I share my life with my boyfriend and 2 kitties in the city of Chicago.

We are savers, budding real estate investors, and so excited to be part of a community that lays out, in very pragmatic terms, the way to achieve FIRE!

I couldn't be more thrilled at the prospect of what today and the future holds!