Author Topic: Rolling over Vacation Hours  (Read 2481 times)

ProxyRetired

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Rolling over Vacation Hours
« on: May 16, 2018, 10:58:23 AM »
So, at my place of employment, we get the chance to roll over up to 40 hours a week of vacation a year to the next year. The vacation has to be used by July 31st of the following year, or it's lost. I've heard several debates between CW's lately over the value of rolling over, vs. spending it the year it's earned. Some say use it soon as you can, less you get canned; or have a specific use for it in the spring. We get paid out for unused vacation if we leave the company, but not rolled over vacation hours from the year before.

Any thoughts or considerations you'd have if you had to the chance to roll over vacation? I'm wondering if I'm missing anything.

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Rolling over Vacation Hours
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 11:10:23 AM »
Wouldn't your employer have to pay out unused vacation hours if you got "canned?"

ProxyRetired

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 11:51:52 AM »
Depends on state law.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 11:58:03 AM »
I am allowed to "carry over" x number of hours of leave each year.  I do, that way I can say to my boss about my time earned over this course of the year; I need to take this time off (use) or it will disappear (lose).

mak1277

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 12:46:40 PM »
The only reason I would want to save/rollover is if I had a specific need for more vacation days in the following year.  Otherwise, I always want to take all my days, and never have enough that I could roll them over if I wanted to.

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 12:49:01 PM »
Wouldn't your employer have to pay out unused vacation hours if you got "canned?"
Nope.  We only pay out a week and that was only started this year.  Prior to that, you lost all vacation if terminated.  We also did not have any rollover, but now we can roll over 40 hours.

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 10:29:40 AM »
My workplace has a similar policy, but ours are classified as PTO hours.  I try to roll over the max (40 hours) in case I need them for sick days.

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 10:38:11 AM »
I can roll over 40 days and that's what I typically do or maybe a little less.  My employer has to pay them out, so I'm not in danger of losing anything.

jlcnuke

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 11:17:03 AM »
My workplace has a similar policy, but ours are classified as PTO hours.  I try to roll over the max (40 hours) in case I need them for sick days.

I shoot for 40 hours rolling over each year for similar reasons. Our max is 80 hours, but if something comes up that results in me cancelling a vacation late in the year I don't want to already have the max rolling over and then lose any hours, so I try to keep a buffer between what I can roll over and how much I'll have available at the rollover date.

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 01:48:57 PM »
I can roll over 40 days and that's what I typically do or maybe a little less.  My employer has to pay them out, so I'm not in danger of losing anything.
Days?  Or was that a typo you meant hours?  If not, wow, that's generous, and I would assume public sector?

Ocinfo

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 02:35:00 PM »
If you don’t get paid out for the rolled over time upon separation/termination then I would be hesitant to roll hours.

I do rollover a lot of hours (usually have a minimum of 75 hours rollover and still take ~120 hours off each year) because my company does not differentiate based on when they were earned and all hours in the PTO bank are eligible for payout. We do have a 200 or 280 hour (seniority dependent) max bank. When hitting that max, we stop accumulating until we take time off. It’s a pretty good setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 04:11:16 PM »
I roll 40 hours over every year, mostly because I can. I have 35 days this year, not counting rollover days from last year (which I had to use before 3/31). That includes holidays such as 7/4, etc.

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2018, 07:56:49 PM »
Days?  Or was that a typo you meant hours?  If not, wow, that's generous, and I would assume public sector?
Yup, days.  Ive been there for decades  though.