Author Topic: Roll Up the Rim to Lose  (Read 5235 times)

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
Roll Up the Rim to Lose
« on: February 25, 2014, 06:29:29 AM »
I am being smug and saving it for this forum, because what I really want to say when people post about Roll Up the Rim to Win is, "I win every day.  I bring my tea in a travel mug from home every day.  Saves me easily more than a dollar."

I guess I don't get the rush of "winning," but I'm okay with that. 

Thought I'd vent here so that I don't alienate pretty much everyone else I know.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Roll Up the Rim to Lose
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 06:38:14 AM »
Couple that with the fact that you don't have to drink mediocre Tim Horton's coffee (let alone join a line of 50+ cars for it in the morning), and you're really coming out ahead!

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 06:41:40 AM »
I had to google it. So it's like McD's monopoly game? I agree money in my pocket is a bigger win than fast food crap and empty promises of winning by buying soda.

:)

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 06:48:49 AM »
It's a brilliant idea really because it has a cult-like following in Canada.  And it is one of the first "signs of spring."

Other than maple dipped donuts, there isn't much I like at Tim Hortons.

The way people get excited over the Tim Hortons' Christmas cups perplexes me too.

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 07:10:09 AM »
It's a brilliant idea really because it has a cult-like following in Canada.  And it is one of the first "signs of spring."

Other than maple dipped donuts, there isn't much I like at Tim Hortons.

The way people get excited over the Tim Hortons' Christmas cups perplexes me too.

Don't know why what you said made me think of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_UR201plc8

workathomedad

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 07:11:51 AM »
I like going to Tim Hortons when in Canada because it feels like a cultural phenomenon, lol.

Meggslynn

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 12:15:19 PM »
People in my office are obsessed with Tims and its annoying.

They become even more obsessed and annoying during Roll up the Rim.

They all get their Tims on the way to work and then usually a couple people do "Tims run" during the workday. If they are paying I will get a steeped tea as its the only thing I like from there. My coffee from home tastes better :)

Funny, I had one person say to me how do you have time to make your coffee in the morning? Well it takes about 2 minutes to preload it the night before and a second to press the button when you wake and about 5 seconds to pour it into a thermos. All of which is much shorter than going to Tims in the morning. Sidenote - there is three Tim Hortons in a 2KM radius of my work and another one being built.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 12:17:56 PM »
People in my office are obsessed with Tims and its annoying.

They become even more obsessed and annoying during Roll up the Rim.

They all get their Tims on the way to work and then usually a couple people do "Tims run" during the workday. If they are paying I will get a steeped tea as its the only thing I like from there. My coffee from home tastes better :)

Funny, I had one person say to me how do you have time to make your coffee in the morning? Well it takes about 2 minutes to preload it the night before and a second to press the button when you wake and about 5 seconds to pour it into a thermos. All of which is much shorter than going to Tims in the morning. Sidenote - there is three Tim Hortons in a 2KM radius of my work and another one being built.
[/quote

Ha ha, wow you have really mastered this time management thing. I'm not a coffee drinker, so I don't get these weird obsessions, it is funny and sad to see how much people waste.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 12:44:43 PM »
I had to comment, I just don't get it.  There coffee isn't really good. and anywhere I can't add my own damn sweetener and cream is never going to get my business.

On the other hand, I have a family member who has nothing but Icecaps until dinner, goes several times a day (with the kids so extra $) and has been hospitalized because of it. I plugged a low estimate into a calc over the 15 years she has been doing it she could be about 200,000 richer....

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
  • Retired at age 33. 5 years in, still loving it!
    • Root of Good
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 02:34:17 PM »
Tim Hortons = Starbucks in the US??  There's a Starbucks a block down the street from me. It's where I go to meet craigslist buyers and avoid teh murder from strangers (well lit public place with security cameras and all...).  The drive thru line - wow.  People will sit for 5-10 minutes for a cup of coffee? 

Aggregate that wasted time throughout the year and you could literally build a greenhouse, cultivate your own coffee trees, harvest the coffee seeds, process them, dry them, roast them, grind them, and brew them.  Just sayin'...

parkette

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 02:40:25 PM »
RootofGood: Tim Hortons = Dunkin Donuts

I generally only drink coffee from home (or the coffee club at work), but I made the mistake today of forgoing home coffee, thinking that the training session I was attending at a hotel would have free java. Nope! (Apparently this is the training company's biggest complaint, yet they don't change it...)

By lunch I was fading, but instead of the regular Tim's run my coworkers would do, I convinced them to go to McDonald's where coffee is free this week :) And so, so much better than Tim's. Small wins!

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
  • Retired at age 33. 5 years in, still loving it!
    • Root of Good
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 06:23:35 PM »
RootofGood: Tim Hortons = Dunkin Donuts

I generally only drink coffee from home (or the coffee club at work), but I made the mistake today of forgoing home coffee, thinking that the training session I was attending at a hotel would have free java. Nope! (Apparently this is the training company's biggest complaint, yet they don't change it...)

By lunch I was fading, but instead of the regular Tim's run my coworkers would do, I convinced them to go to McDonald's where coffee is free this week :) And so, so much better than Tim's. Small wins!

Ah, Dunkin Donuts.  The one down the street from me has a much shorter drive thru queue than the Starbucks.  McD's is a great place for coffee if you're paying for it.  $0.99 I think for any size (or at least a large-ish cup).  I'll confess to paying for it at McD's while on business trips or in your exact situation.  (WTF is wrong with those seminars/training sessions that can't drop a few bucks on a container of coffee??!! - one of the things I don't miss about working).

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 07:09:39 PM »
Christmas cups and Alf pogs...Things to get excited about.  lol

My brother works at Starbucks and brought home Tim Horton donuts today.  I was afraid to ask if he'd rolled up the rim or not.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 09:31:36 PM »
Okay, I will fess up. 

I am a middle-aged coffee-drinking Canadian who has never bought a cup of Tim Horton's coffee in one of their shops.    (but I did spend plenty of $ on coffee at Starbucks/McDonalds though before getting on board here).  :)   I do like Tim Hortons's coffee but I buy it at the grocery store and make it at home.

I go past a Tim's on my way to work and it always has about 20 people waiting in lines for their morning coffee or donut. 

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2014, 09:15:00 AM »
Another Canadian Tim's coffee drinker - when I am out of the house for a long time.  I prefer it to McDonald's - to each their own taste preference.  At home (98% of the time) I make my own, a drip cone (think Melitta) and paper filter makes good coffee.  The paper filter takes some of the bitterness out; I have tried the fine mesh cones and the coffee is not as good.  I mostly use Melitta or IGA's house brands and add interest with vanilla, cocoa, or other flavourings.  I was on Cape Cod over Christmas and was amazed at how inexpensive decent coffee is there (bulk, that is, not already made).

I know people who have the fancy coffee makers (like Keurig) and don't understand the appeal.  I can make my coffee quickly, I am buying in bulk instead of the little pre-packaged things (although I know there are reusable holders for them, but then to get good coffee you need a paper filter anyway).  I am not into Lattes and so on, so Starbucks is not on my radar.

Maybe part of it is related to age?  When I was in University the student Union was the only place I could get coffee, and it was a long walk from most of my classes.  I brown-bagged my lunch once I was not living in residence, so I never got used to popping in somewhere to get coffee and a snack.  These days there are fast-food outlets all over the place on University campuses, so the students have easy access and the habit is formed.