Author Topic: Roku - replace with new one or try something else? URGENT, please help  (Read 6782 times)

FiguringItOut

• Pencil Stache
I got Roku streaming stick back in July from Amazon.

It was perfectly fine for about 1.5 months and then the remote started to stall every once in a while.  Then more and more often.  And now it is dead.  Died about a month ago.   I've tried every roku remote trick that is listed on Roku's website and nothing. 

So what should I do know.  I can't return it to amazon.  There doesn't seem to be a replacement or universal remotes for streaming sticks, only for a more expensive units.

I need something to stream Netflix on the TV.  I don't have cable, only internet and netflix.  Right now my kids and I each watch netflix on our laptops, but this is seriously becoming as issue as we can't even watch a movie together on the tv and make a movie night out of it.

Should I get a new Roku?  More expensive unit than steaming stick?  What would be a guarantee that remote will not crap out on me again.

What else is there that I can use for netflix streaming? 

I dont have amazon prime and dont want to get it.  Does Fire TV stick work without amazon prime?  Is it worth it?  They are on amazon site right now for $40.  Are they reliable?  Will amazon fix/replace if something happens after 30 days?

I really need to get something very soon, or will be stuck at home for Christmas with an abundance of chineese takeout and no movies to watch.**  And that's just unacceptable.  LOL  I really would like order something later today if possible.  I'll be ordering from amazon, no time to go to brick and mortar stores at all.

**Traditional Jewish Christmas for us. 

turketron

• Pencil Stache
Re: Roku - replace with new one or try something else? URGENT, please help
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 10:11:04 AM »
Have you contacted Roku's support to see if theres a manufacturer's warranty you can use? If you have a smartphone/tablet to control it, a Chromecast might work for you.

Tjat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 10:13:36 AM »
We have a chromecast and the remote is a smartphone or computer. It's been fine and is $35

Don Jean

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 10:19:35 AM »
+1 for the Chromecast. Dead simple to use and no remotes with which to contend.

FiguringItOut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 10:21:15 AM »
Have you contacted Roku's support to see if theres a manufacturer's warranty you can use? If you have a smartphone/tablet to control it, a Chromecast might work for you.

We have a chromecast and the remote is a smartphone or computer. It's been fine and is $35

Yep, tried calling Roku support.  They said to do remote fixes on their site.  Annoyed.

Anyway, what is Chromecast?  Is this it? http://www.amazon.com/J-Deal-Streaming-Display-Chromecast-Windows/dp/B00V8MKK4U/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1450026981&sr=8-5&keywords=chromecast

Does it work similar to Roku?  What's available on it?  Does it have any content of it's own, or just streams netflix?

FiguringItOut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 10:29:47 AM »
Ok, I just found it in Google Store.  Seems something I haven't heard of before.

My question is this - does it 'project' your phone onto the tv?  Meaning does the content of your phone/tablet/laptop becomes accessible from TV?  is this 'projections' preventable?

Can each of us use our own phone as remotes, or will my phone for example be the remote for all of us? 

If every time I connect my phone to this thing my whole phone is accessible to view, this would be a deal breaker and not a viable option for us.  Same with my kids phones/laptops.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2015, 10:31:22 AM »
https://www.google.com/intl/en_us/chromecast/

You won't find it on Amazon because they're in a pissing match with Google right now and refuse to sell it. It's basically just a $35 device that streams other content to your TV. There's no original content but it can stream Netflix, Hulu, HBO etc. It doesn't have a remote, instead you control it from your device- smartphone, laptop, tablet etc.

When you connect it to your device, you tell it what to stream. For example, you open the Netflix app and then load up a show, and tap the button to stream that show on your Chromecast.

FiguringItOut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2015, 10:37:18 AM »
https://www.google.com/intl/en_us/chromecast/

You won't find it on Amazon because they're in a pissing match with Google right now and refuse to sell it. It's basically just a $35 device that streams other content to your TV. There's no original content but it can stream Netflix, Hulu, HBO etc. It doesn't have a remote, instead you control it from your device- smartphone, laptop, tablet etc.

When you connect it to your device, you tell it what to stream. For example, you open the Netflix app and then load up a show, and tap the button to stream that show on your Chromecast.

Thank you.  I did find it on Google right before your reply.

Is this really better than amazon fire stick?  Honestly, I'm concerned with possible kids being able to access my phone/laptop contents with this thing.  Plus no original content.  And with us only having netflix that we pay for, an additional content would be nice.

I don't know if I 'm trying to talk myself into fire stick or what?  Just havent heard of chromecast before. 

hops

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2015, 10:37:35 AM »
If you have HDMI ports on both your computers and your television, you can use something like this for streaming:

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-High-Speed-HDMI-Cable-Supports/dp/B003L1ZYYW

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2015, 10:39:42 AM »
The roku app has a remote. I switched to that when my remote stayed acting up and I had no problems. App is free.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

FiguringItOut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2015, 10:45:09 AM »
Did you buy this with a credit card?  Many credit cards have extended warranty or purchase protection.  Might be worth calling them and telling them Roku's service has not met your needs.

I would also escalate with Roku customer service.  Threaten to take it to social media, or actually do so.  They will probably send you a new one just to avoid the bad publicity.  Sending a Twitter message to someone high up in the company (like the CEO) sometimes helps in situations like this.

Also, you should be able to set up your home system so that your laptop streams to the TV monitor without any fancy equipment.  Not sure how it works -- my DH is the tech person in our family -- but we have our home system in China set up this way.  Alternatively you can just hook the laptop up to a larger monitor and gather around that to watch together.

no, bought it with amazon gift card.
The two times when I called Roku I was pressed for time, so didn't go through escalation.  And right now, I honestly jut want to get something that works and make kids happy and doesn't not require alot of extra work from me.  Just feeling so drained with all of the holiday stuff and work stuff going on, I just want to buy my  way out of this seemingly trivial problem. 

If you have HDMI ports on both your computers and your television, you can use something like this for streaming:

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-High-Speed-HDMI-Cable-Supports/dp/B003L1ZYYW

no HDMI on laptops.

The roku app has a remote. I switched to that when my remote stayed acting up and I had no problems. App is free.

OMG, you are a godsend.  Trying this first!  Thank you!!!!

Cathy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2015, 10:46:59 AM »
URGENT, please help ...

... I ... watch netflix on [my] laptop[] ...

... I really need to get something very soon, or will be stuck at home for Christmas with an abundance of chineese takeout and no movies to watch. ...

Yes, this does indeed sound urgent. Imagine what would happen if you were stuck at home without being able to watch television programming on a sufficiently large screen. You and your kids (ages 11 and 13) might have to find something else to do.

When I was 11, my family had no access to any kind of television programming. I spent my free time at that specific age working on a compiler and virtual machine for an exotic niche environment (*). When I got bored of that, I read textbooks on a variety of subjects. If you need something to do, you and your kids could be learning chemistry and physics, geology and astronomy, computer science and mathematics, and anything else that tickles your fancy. You could start reading every opinion of the US Supreme Court published since 1789 in chronological order. You could study the history of humanity and its many trials and tribulations. Or you could just learn enough to be able to cause your laptops to output video to the television through any of the myriad ways that that is possible.

((*) Note: I express no view on the accuracy of the content of the linked articles. They are provided only for general background about what the terms mean.)

redcedar

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2015, 10:48:31 AM »
There are smartphone apps that act as remotes for your roku so you may try that. Most are free.

If you go the Roku replacement option, I would strongly recommend the Roku3 over the 2, older models, or Roku Stick (see dislike of stick models below). My 3 is lightning fast compared to 2.

I have two amazon fire sticks (see dislike of stick models below). The Fire interface is solid. Some people prefer Roku or Fire interface. I find that I like most things about both and dont really have a preference. You do NOT have to have Amazon Prime to use the Fire streaming devices.

I dislike every Stick streaming player that I have used. I have used Roku Stick (returned it) and I have 2 Fire Sticks. They are noticeably slower than the full box versions. Slower in every way for me- startup, app change, content loading, etc.

One thing to really watch for is model number even inside the same model. These box makers are pumping out new versions about 2-3 times per year but giving them the same name. Roku2 is a great example. Find an awesome deal.....it is very likely the original model which can't hold a candle to the specs of the latest Roku2 version.

Good luck.

FiguringItOut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2015, 10:49:59 AM »
URGENT, please help ...

... I really need to get something very soon, or will be stuck at home for Christmas with an abundance of chineese takeout and no movies to watch. ...

Yes, this does indeed sound urgent. Imagine what would happen if you were stuck at home without being able to watch television programming on a sufficiently large screen. You and your kids (ages 11 and 13) might have to find something else to do.

When I was 11, my family had no access to any kind of television programming. I spent my free time at that specific age working on a compiler and virtual machine for an exotic niche environment (*). When I got bored of that, I read textbooks on a variety of subjects. If you need something to do, you and your kids could be learning chemistry and physics, geology and astronomy, computer science and mathematics, and anything else that tickles your fancy. You could start reading every opinion of the US Supreme Court published since 1789 in chronological order. You could study the history of humanity and its many trials and tribulations. Or you could just learn enough to be able to cause your laptops to output video to the television through any of the myriad ways that that is possible.

((*) Note: I express no view on the accuracy of the content of the linked articles. They are provided only for general background about what the terms mean.)

This definitely does't sound urgent to you.  We all have our own priorities. Thanks for pointing this out.

FiguringItOut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2015, 10:53:44 AM »

And this works.  Thank you again. 

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2015, 11:00:19 AM »

And this works.  Thank you again. 

You're welcome.

Signed,

A fellow Jew who will who will also be Netflixing with Chinese Food for Xmas.

ADV_CJ

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2015, 08:12:41 AM »
Here is a list of officially supported apps for Chromecast: https://www.google.com/intl/en_us/chromecast/apps/?utm_source=chromecast.com  Much more content than just your Netflix subscription.  Plus if you have an Android device you can even cast your phone screen to the TV.  Meaning any streaming content on your phone works on your chromecast.  This is how we watch NFL games via Verizons NFL Mobile app.

I have an Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, Roku, and 2x Chromecasts.  The Chromecasts are the only devices that get used for its simplicity.

Louisville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2015, 08:37:53 AM »
URGENT, please help ...

This definitely does't sound urgent to you.  We all have our own priorities. Thanks for pointing this out.

This is turning into another "What forum am I on?" thread. While I think Cathy's tone was a bit condescending, I have to agree with her message. Being unable to watch movies together on a bigger screen could be called "disappointing" or "annoying", especially for kids that are used to a lot of TV. But "urgent"? No way.
Sure, go ahead and find a solution to the Roku problems (I've never had a single issue with mine, knock wood), but also use this as an opportunity to examine your priorities and habits.
Also, I never knew until now that I also, am Jewish, based on the TV and Chinese takeout tradition.

EDIT: I just reread your post and realized you may be joking about the "urgent" part. So, um, if so, .... I'll just shut up now.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 08:41:28 AM by Louisville »

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2015, 11:49:04 AM »
There is also  remoku.tv (website). It runs on most modern browsers (Chrome 11+, Firefox 5+, iOS4+(Mobile Safari), IE 8+, etc.).
If you need help you can visit help.remoku.tv for setup instructions, tips, and to report any issues.
If you use chrome, it is easy to make an Application Shortcut for Remoku, which will launch it in it's own window. Browse to Remoku.tv, then click the wrench icon near the top-right of the Chrome window, then under the Tools menu, choose "Create application shortcuts" and choose the locations you want the shortcuts to appear on your computer (e.g. "Desktop", "Start Menu", and/or "Quick Launch Bar".

Besides the basic remote functions that hardware remotes have, Remoku also can send text directly, and features a few other goodies.

FiguringItOut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2015, 07:49:33 AM »
URGENT, please help ...

This is turning into another "What forum am I on?" thread. While I think Cathy's tone was a bit condescending, I have to agree with her message. Being unable to watch movies together on a bigger screen could be called "disappointing" or "annoying", especially for kids that are used to a lot of TV. But "urgent"? No way.
Sure, go ahead and find a solution to the Roku problems (I've never had a single issue with mine, knock wood), but also use this as an opportunity to examine your priorities and habits.
Also, I never knew until now that I also, am Jewish, based on the TV and Chinese takeout tradition.

EDIT: I just reread your post and realized you may be joking about the "urgent" part. So, um, if so, .... I'll just shut up now.

Without starting an off topic debate and regardless of one's personal values, sometimes the urgency of the issue has nothing to do with values and everything to do with other things happening in person's life.

I am traveling, training, working overtime, dealing with holidays and family things, and generally have absolutely no time to be worrying about things that are trivial.  Thus, when I found myself with some time to actually deal with the roku issue, roku that has been out of commission for over a months now without any issues from me or my kids, I decided to ask for help and indicated that it's urgent as this was basically the only time I had to deal with it.
If I was going to order a new unit, I needed to order by the end of the weekend to ensure that somebody will be around to receive the package. 

Sometimes, people need to just take what they see on line at face value and not try to judge or impose their own values on others.

And also, if someone wants to spend their Christmas reading every opinion of the US Supreme Court published since 1789 in chronological order more power to them.  I choose to spend my Christmas watching a movie with my kids, snuggled under a warm blanket and munching on egg rolls.  Different strokes for different folks.

I am happy that this was resolved without having to order a new unit and I don't need to worry about this anymore.

And now that the urgency of tv viewing is resolved I consider this topic closed, I am going to start a new post another question that I have and could use the brain matter of this forum for suggestions.

asiljoy

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2015, 07:54:42 AM »

Yep, even for windows phone. Our toddler has taken to hiding our remote, so this is what we use 90% of the time.

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2015, 10:54:17 AM »
Download the roku app and use smartphone as a remote. No it doesn't share your whole phone and you can turn it on and off. Used this for 2 weeks before we finally found the remote again....