Author Topic: Road Trip suggestions  (Read 2265 times)

freeazabird

• Stubble
    • Bmore Bungalow
Road Trip suggestions
« on: September 13, 2017, 01:11:06 AM »
Anyone have recs of places to visit that are within a 6 hour drive of Washington, DC? I have a broad range of interests so would love to hear any recs. Thanks.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Road Trip suggestions
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 09:23:36 AM »
Central Virginia!

Beer/wine/cider tasting and beautiful scenery: Drive down to Nelson County, Virginia, and make a day (or more) of wandering up and down Route 151, where there are wineries, breweries, and ciderys. You can make this a rather Mustachian adventure by just having one drink and sitting to enjoy the view for a while. Or the tastings are about $5-10 each. Free tasting at the cider place. Obviously make sure you have a DD!

History: go see Thomas Jefferson's home (Monticello) in Albemarle County and James Madison's home (Montpelier) in Orange County. Also plenty of wineries in those counties. Neither home is particularly cheap, but they're worth the money if you have an interest in this stuff. Leave plenty of time for Monticello so you can make the most of your entrance fee by wandering the grounds and taking the "extra" tours of the gardens, slave quarters, and graveyard. Take a picnic lunch. Pay in cash at Monticello such that you get $2 back if you want them to give you a $2 bill (with Jefferson on it) in change.

Hiking and scenic drives: Shenandoah National Park. And near that, you'll find Humpback Rock (short hike up to a gorgeous viewpoint) and Sugar Hollow (another short hike along the Moormans River to a Blue Hole, where you can swim if it's warm enough).

And downtown Charlottesville is a nice area to walk around for shops, restaurants, etc. Also the University of Virginia. Very pretty in fall.

JayKay

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 09:35:08 AM »
I'd suggest visiting Virginia Beach before the weather gets a bit colder.

There's a lot to do: fishing, boat tours, restaurants, you may be able to arrange tours of the various bases, things like that.  And there's of course the main attraction, the beach itself.

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 09:51:03 AM »
Finger Lakes region in New York, maybe including Ithaca.   Lovely
area this time of year.

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 01:17:19 PM »
Didn't you just post that your car died?  Did you by the RAV4?

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 01:23:43 PM »
Central Virginia!

Beer/wine/cider tasting and beautiful scenery: Drive down to Nelson County, Virginia, and make a day (or more) of wandering up and down Route 151, where there are wineries, breweries, and ciderys. You can make this a rather Mustachian adventure by just having one drink and sitting to enjoy the view for a while. Or the tastings are about $5-10 each. Free tasting at the cider place. Obviously make sure you have a DD!

History: go see Thomas Jefferson's home (Monticello) in Albemarle County and James Madison's home (Montpelier) in Orange County. Also plenty of wineries in those counties. Neither home is particularly cheap, but they're worth the money if you have an interest in this stuff. Leave plenty of time for Monticello so you can make the most of your entrance fee by wandering the grounds and taking the "extra" tours of the gardens, slave quarters, and graveyard. Take a picnic lunch. Pay in cash at Monticello such that you get $2 back if you want them to give you a $2 bill (with Jefferson on it) in change.

Hiking and scenic drives: Shenandoah National Park. And near that, you'll find Humpback Rock (short hike up to a gorgeous viewpoint) and Sugar Hollow (another short hike along the Moormans River to a Blue Hole, where you can swim if it's warm enough).

And downtown Charlottesville is a nice area to walk around for shops, restaurants, etc. Also the University of Virginia. Very pretty in fall.

+ to everything GreenSheep just said. I love the Charlottesville area and driving the Blue Ridge Parkway in the Shenandoah Valley. Monticello is fascinating. The scenery in that area is gorgeous.

Beridian

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 02:05:56 PM »
Harpers Ferry is a great town to visit.

freeazabird

• Stubble
    • Bmore Bungalow
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 06:35:39 PM »
Didn't you just post that your car died?  Did you by the RAV4?

I did not buy the RAV4. Still deciding what to do. If I do buy it, I'll have to take much less extravagant vacations. Hence, this post to get an idea of places I could drive to :-)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!