Author Topic: Republican Tax Plan 2017  (Read 380983 times)

protostache

• Pencil Stache
Re: Republican Tax Plan 2017
« Reply #1400 on: December 17, 2017, 04:54:44 PM »
Do they lose it because they decide, since I don't get a penalty I'm not buying insurance? I don't get how a lack of mandate means they lose health insurance.

A very large portion of that 13 million is people not getting into Medicaid. The lack of a mandate means they have no incentive to visit healthcare.gov which is where they would be notified of their eligability for Medicaid. No mandate or outreach = no signups = no coverage for people who would be eligible for the program.

The individual market is a relatively small number of people compared to Medicaid. Smaller still, vanishingly so, is the number of people who refuse to buy insurance and have paid the penalty on principal. The only significant effect of mandate repeal on the individual is that people will buy short term junk insurance in higher numbers.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1401 on: December 17, 2017, 05:49:27 PM »
So let's accept the new tax code as it is, and see about legally making it work for us.

I agree, but not just working the tax code to one's advantage, need to protect one's self from the rigged system.

I'm really not that old, but I've seen the debt go from hundreds of millions to billions then trillions which worried me over the years, but honestly it doesn't bother me at all now.  The national debt was just one of many concerns over the years, there's consumer debt, pension fund under funding, bond debt and student debt from coast to coast which to me is Puerto Rico in the making, but I have learned not to care as it will never be resolved.  Being a fiscal conservative, I've long worried about the next generation, but while worrying I witnessed both parties spending on their usual pet projects to stay in power.

I've seen Democrats come to power promising to spend more over the years while ignoring the debt.  I've seen Republicans come to power promising not to spend more, but they too ponied up every time.  It's a battle of sorts, while Democrats are in power, typical Republican pet projects aren't funded so when Republicans gain power, there's an effort to fund what hasn't been funded for a certain number of years, then the Democrats do the same when they get power so an endless cycle of each party aching to fund their pet projects.

I find all involved when speaking about the debt, including Mustache millionaires, hypocrites in one way or another. 

At the end of the day, it is best to plan in whatever way one can for the next financial crisis and the one after that.  It seems these crisis are a means to redistribute wealth - how many that lost their home have recovered with a home and the savings they had, how many are still under water and broke while the mega rich, rich Democrats and Republicans are doing just fine, better than ever.  How many went to jail as a result of the last crisis, one, two?  I see a rigged system by all of those in power which isn't limited to politicians considering super PACs are in power even without holding the office. 

So with the system rigged by both parties, I feel I need to protect myself from the next crisis that will yet again destroy wealth at the bottom and in the middle.  They really don't want the masses to gain for very long, to a point, then take it away so one has to be aware to avoid the next crisis, whatever it is.

Very good words.  If the unwashed masses actually had a clue to how the system is stacked against them there would be a revolt.  As a Mustacian Millionaire I practice stealth wealth.   There may be a time in the future where the working poor come for the heads of the elite class.  I snottedly made comments recently on this forum stating that being +500k in wealth is chicken feed.  That's how far removed I am from my humble days where I labored with a shovel for little more than minimum wage.  Keep your heads and your noses low.

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1402 on: December 17, 2017, 05:54:17 PM »
When can I expect changes in payroll tax withholdings?

Whenever you submit a change request?

I don't think anything will necessarily change in corporate payroll deparments.  The current withholdings and exemptions system was already a holdover from previous tax systems, and I don't think it needs to change for 2018.  They certainly could change it, I just don't think it's mandatory.

All that will change is how you file your taxes at the end of the year.  The form will be different in 2019, for the 2018 tax year under the new system.

I don't believe sol's comments in his last two paragraphs are accurate.

Today I heard Treasury Secretary Mnuchin say in a radio interview that the IRS is already preparing new withholding tables for employers to determine how much to withhold from paychecks based on the new lowered tax brackets.  He indicated that people could see lower withholding from their paychecks in February.

I have to believe the W-4 will have to change as well, but he didn't mention that form specifically.

If I were still working I'd probably make a note to check my withholding in March and make sure it was still appropriate.

Yeah, Mnuchin said the same thing on Face the Nation this AM (same interview on the radio?) so that was why I was asking.

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1403 on: December 17, 2017, 07:12:04 PM »
I have a concern:

Previous entry:
I'm really not that old, but I've seen the debt go from hundreds of millions to billions then trillions which worried me over the years, but honestly it doesn't bother me at all now.  The national debt was just one of many concerns over the years, there's consumer debt, pension fund under funding, bond debt and student debt from coast to coast which to me is Puerto Rico in the making, but I have learned not to care as it will never be resolved.

Ok - Money is like any other commodity.  It follows the rules of supply and demand.  By spending money that isn't honestly there, it is like getting stuff at a reduced value.  It is increasing the supply of money.  Increasing the supply with the same number of folks out there using it, will diminish its value.  As you diminish the the value, it means that it takes more money to buy goods.

This is inflation.

They say that inflation is low.  Have you not seen prices rising?

How will that help future Mustachians?  Well, golly, if you are retired for 40 years, you may be facing money problems.  You may be finding yourself back to work in your old age, Bucko.  If you were a software engineer or some such you will be hopelessly rusty and out of date. 

Is there enough protection using index funds and the 4 percent rule?  Will stocks rise as fast as the inflation?

Very good words.  If the unwashed masses actually had a clue to how the system is stacked against them there would be a revolt.

I'm not sure whether myself and the rest of the unwashed masses just won't have that revolt.  Events of this time remind me of the description of the gilded age I've read about in the history books.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1404 on: December 17, 2017, 07:17:01 PM »
Is there enough protection using index funds and the 4 percent rule?
Short answers are
- if the future is no worse than the worst of the past, then yes.
- if the future is      worse than the worst of the past, then  no.

See Stop worrying about the 4% rule for over 1000 posts debating this.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1405 on: December 17, 2017, 11:30:03 PM »

I don't think anything will necessarily change in corporate payroll deparments.  The current withholdings and exemptions system was already a holdover from previous tax systems, and I don't think it needs to change for 2018.  They certainly could change it, I just don't think it's mandatory.

All that will change is how you file your taxes at the end of the year.  The form will be different in 2019, for the 2018 tax year under the new system.

Today I heard Treasury Secretary Mnuchin say in a radio interview that the IRS is already preparing new withholding tables for employers to determine how much to withhold from paychecks based on the new lowered tax brackets.  He indicated that people could see lower withholding from their paychecks in February.

I have to believe the W-4 will have to change as well, but he didn't mention that form specifically.

If I were still working I'd probably make a note to check my withholding in March and make sure it was still appropriate.

Yeah, Mnuchin said the same thing on Face the Nation this AM (same interview on the radio?) so that was why I was asking.

ugh... I hope they revise the W-4 to be something more simple like "withhold x%, x$, or my expected MAGI is $X"

my wife is taking 5 mo unpaid leave next year and I just did all the work to figure out she needs 27 allowances or something absurd like that

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1406 on: December 18, 2017, 07:54:53 AM »
Do they lose it because they decide, since I don't get a penalty I'm not buying insurance? I don't get how a lack of mandate means they lose health insurance.

A very large portion of that 13 million is people not getting into Medicaid. The lack of a mandate means they have no incentive to visit healthcare.gov which is where they would be notified of their eligability for Medicaid. No mandate or outreach = no signups = no coverage for people who would be eligible for the program.

The individual market is a relatively small number of people compared to Medicaid. Smaller still, vanishingly so, is the number of people who refuse to buy insurance and have paid the penalty on principal. The only significant effect of mandate repeal on the individual is that people will buy short term junk insurance in higher numbers.

One tiny little bright sliver: Medicaid eligibility is often retroactive without a defined enrollment period. So if you have a catastrophic problem, the hospital will likely help you sign up (because they like being paid something instead of nothing). It won't do crap for preventive care, but some people will get covered this way.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1407 on: December 18, 2017, 07:58:05 AM »

I recall from the Bush temporary cuts, I didn't need to do anything.  Payroll adjusted based on who knows what.  I think I had changes in base take home pay again without doing anything but that was a long, time ago in a galaxy far away.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #1408 on: December 18, 2017, 08:30:01 AM »

I recall from the Bush temporary cuts, I didn't need to do anything.  Payroll adjusted based on who knows what.  I think I had changes in base take home pay again without doing anything but that was a long, time ago in a galaxy far away.

And they sent us all a check in the mail back then.

starguru

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1409 on: December 18, 2017, 08:55:49 AM »
This is interesting

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-12-18/finance-gurus-devise-funky-workarounds-to-loss-of-salt-deduction

TL;DR -- If you make a charitable contribution to a state, you get a dollar for dollar credit on your state income taxes.  How many states will move to such a system....Charitable deductions are fully deductible on federal taxes.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1410 on: December 18, 2017, 08:59:59 AM »
If you make a charitable contribution to a state, you get a dollar for dollar credit on your state income taxes.  How many states will move to such a system....Charitable deductions are fully deductible on federal taxes.

Unless the charitable donation offsets your property taxes, I don't see the advantage in it.

djadziadax

• Stubble
« Reply #1411 on: December 18, 2017, 09:01:23 AM »

Do you think that at least some individual states will still enact their own mandates and stabilize the insurance markets in those states?  Another thing too, hopefully the motivation by Republicans to continue to dismantle the ACA will cease with the passage of this bill and repeal of the mandate.  That would leave subsidies intact, at least for states with stable insurance markets like, California for instance.

Yes...California's proposal for Single Payer in CA  - http://www.latimes.com/politics/essential/la-pol-ca-essential-politics-updates-first-fiscal-analysis-of-single-payer-1495475434-htmlstory.html
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 09:03:16 AM by djadziadax »

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1412 on: December 18, 2017, 09:01:38 AM »
I'm really not that old, but I've seen the debt go from hundreds of millions to billions then trillions which worried me over the years, but honestly it doesn't bother me at all now.  The national debt was just one of many concerns over the years, there's consumer debt, pension fund under funding, bond debt and student debt from coast to coast which to me is Puerto Rico in the making, but I have learned not to care as it will never be resolved.  Being a fiscal conservative, I've long worried about the next generation, but while worrying I witnessed both parties spending on their usual pet projects to stay in power.

I can't find this post anymore, but it made me laugh and I saw two people quote it.

I had to go back to 1862 when the debt was in the hundreds of millions (incidentally, that was the only year it was hundreds of millions; it went from 10's of millions prior, to $1B in 1863).

The last time the national debt was in the 100's of billions was 1981 ($997B).

protostache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1413 on: December 18, 2017, 09:03:09 AM »

One tiny little bright sliver: Medicaid eligibility is often retroactive without a defined enrollment period. So if you have a catastrophic problem, the hospital will likely help you sign up (because they like being paid something instead of nothing). It won't do crap for preventive care, but some people will get covered this way.

Maybe, but if you have a problem that is bad but you think isn't catastrophic, and you don't have insurance, and you don't know that you're eligible for Medicaid solely because of your income level, how likely is it you're going to go to the hospital at all?

djadziadax

• Stubble
« Reply #1414 on: December 18, 2017, 09:05:04 AM »

Do you think that at least some individual states will still enact their own mandates and stabilize the insurance markets in those states?  Another thing too, hopefully the motivation by Republicans to continue to dismantle the ACA will cease with the passage of this bill and repeal of the mandate.  That would leave subsidies intact, at least for states with stable insurance markets like, California for instance.

Yes...California's proposal for Single Payer in CA  - http://www.latimes.com/politics/essential/la-pol-ca-essential-politics-updates-first-fiscal-analysis-of-single-payer-1495475434-htmlstory.html

And this more recent - http://www.sacbee.com/opinion/california-forum/article189661334.html

djadziadax

• Stubble
« Reply #1415 on: December 18, 2017, 09:07:54 AM »
Does anyone know if Capital Gain Loss will still be available as a deduction? Could not find it in the conference bill, so assume no change?

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1416 on: December 18, 2017, 09:14:32 AM »

Maybe, but if you have a problem that is bad but you think isn't catastrophic, and you don't have insurance, and you don't know that you're eligible for Medicaid solely because of your income level, how likely is it you're going to go to the hospital at all?

I didn't say it was awesome. :-\

starguru

• Pencil Stache
Republican Tax Plan 2017
« Reply #1417 on: December 18, 2017, 09:20:38 AM »
If you make a charitable contribution to a state, you get a dollar for dollar credit on your state income taxes.  How many states will move to such a system....Charitable deductions are fully deductible on federal taxes.

Unless the charitable donation offsets your property taxes, I don't see the advantage in it.

For you or in general?   It will certainly help those who pay high state income taxes.  I know for myself I’ll pay 30k in state taxes and 15k in property taxes next year.  It’s the difference between being able to deduct 40k vs 10k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1418 on: December 18, 2017, 09:21:08 AM »
The person would need to be under the income limits for those retroactive months (up to 3) to qualify.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1419 on: December 18, 2017, 09:23:19 AM »

how do you not see the advantage of it - a state would allow you to donate money to them - and refund you dollar for dollar on what your income tax would have been

for example i have 10k in income tax in my state - not able to itemize on my federal return.  flip side i donate 10k to my state who gives me 10k back on my income taxes- 10k is fully deductible.  now i'd still need property taxes and mortgage interest and other donation to get to the 24k MFJ standard deduction but. i dont quite get what it offsetting property tax would do unless you live in a no income tax state with higher than 10k in property tax then the local Muni's could possibly implement something similar.

I was more intrigued by the payroll tax section than others b/c that really helps mustachians.  If states go to employer paid payroll tax vs income tax. that would greatly help more states become income tax free states and be more inviting to the retiree

'If employers pay the payroll tax and reduce employees’ salaries by the same amount, workers wouldn’t have to deduct anything and would wind up being paid the same amount. That would allow states to collect the same revenue while preserving individuals’ deductions on federal returns.'
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 09:32:08 AM by boarder42 »

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1420 on: December 18, 2017, 09:43:36 AM »
The person would need to be under the income limits for those retroactive months (up to 3) to qualify.

Well yeah, but we're talking about people who aren't aware they're eligible, so that's going to be the majority of the people in that particular situation. Presumably, a portion people with a life event that triggers eligibility will apply at that time to maintain coverage. It's far from ideal.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1421 on: December 18, 2017, 10:04:30 AM »

how do you not see the advantage of it - a state would allow you to donate money to them - and refund you dollar for dollar on what your income tax would have been

Right, it's the dollar for dollar refund that is key to making this advantageous for people.  It doesn't make sense to donate money to the state unless it also offsets your property taxes. 

It does seem legally questionable to me, if they try it.  By what authority can a state selectively forgive property tax bills for some residents but not others, based on their charitable giving? Property tax rates are set by statute.  You can't just change them to zero on a whim.  How would they verify the contributions in a way that was not transparently identical to just paying property taxes?  I would expect lawsuits from conservative political activists.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1422 on: December 18, 2017, 10:20:12 AM »

Right, it's the dollar for dollar refund that is key to making this advantageous for people.  It doesn't make sense to donate money to the state unless it also offsets your property taxes. 

It does seem legally questionable to me, if they try it.  By what authority can a state selectively forgive property tax bills for some residents but not others, based on their charitable giving? Property tax rates are set by statute.  You can't just change them to zero on a whim.  How would they verify the contributions in a way that was not transparently identical to just paying property taxes?  I would expect lawsuits from conservative political activists.

i dont understand why you keep targetting property taxes here.

if i owe a state income taxes of 10k - not federally deductible
and the state lets me donate 10k to them and gives me a state income tax refund of 10k - i deduct my donation of 10k from my federal taxes now

property taxes do not matter at all.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1423 on: December 18, 2017, 10:33:07 AM »

I didn't mean to target property taxes.  Property, income, it's all the same for this purpose.

I'm just not seeing how a state can legally forgive taxes due based on a charitable donation, which by definition cannot be for your own benefit. 

I'm not philosophically opposed to the idea, I just don't see how it could possibly be legal.

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1424 on: December 18, 2017, 10:48:17 AM »

I didn't mean to target property taxes.  Property, income, it's all the same for this purpose.

I'm just not seeing how a state can legally forgive taxes due based on a charitable donation, which by definition cannot be for your own benefit. 

I'm not philosophically opposed to the idea, I just don't see how it could possibly be legal.

Same way my zoo membership is tax-deductible? (translation: I have no idea, but it is)

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1425 on: December 18, 2017, 10:53:52 AM »
Sol, while I agree with you completely on your take on this bill, I think we need to stop prognosticating disasters that will happen because of this bill and instead start thinking about ways to live with the consequences.  I'm really disappointed that this thread disintegrated into a purely political discussion. 

I'm not even that upset about the financial implications of this bill, honestly.  My family will save money this year.  We're already rich, and this bill is pretty nice to rich people.

I was just trying to highlight that it seems to be much more than a tax bill.  It's the only major piece of legislation that Congress is going to pass in the first year of the new administration, and they've really loaded it up with everything they can think of.  It repeals the individual mandate and consequently causes 13 million people to lose health insurance, because their priority is undermining Obamacare.  It reduces medicaid and ss funding, because their priority is slashing the social safety net.  It raises taxes on the middle class to fund a tax break for the upper class, because their priority is increasing wealth inequality.  These things are sort of tax reform issues, but only in the sense that they serve larger ideological goals of the party.  I'm shocked they didn't include the personhood for fetuses amendment about 529 plans.

If I read correctly, 529s can now be used by rich people to send their kids to private K-12 schools and home schooling. Unreal. So now rich families get a tax break for their kids' educations, while public school families get a tax increase (since their SALT deductions are capped at 10k).

All deductions, exemptions and credits now adjusted for inflation in accordance with "chained CPI," which means their value will diminish over time as they lose out to real inflation.

I went line by line and compared what my taxes in 2016 would have been under the new plan. I would have paid $65 more in federal taxes under this GOP plan. No big deal to me personally, but this whole bill is still a monumental ass-raping of the American people as a whole.

WoodSpinner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1426 on: December 18, 2017, 11:07:50 AM »
All,

Suggest a review of the Kitces analysis on the tax plan along with recommended 2017 actions.

It’s a well done analysis which skips the debate about the reasoning behind the changes.

WoodSpinner

tralfamadorian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1427 on: December 18, 2017, 11:14:54 AM »
Does anyone know if Capital Gain Loss will still be available as a deduction? Could not find it in the conference bill, so assume no change?

I don't know if this was the change you are referring to but there is a change to carry forward loss limitations for non-corporations (p.579). Excess business losses are to be rolled into net operating loss and written off (with limitations) in the current tax year as opposed to being held until the taxpayer sells their interest in that passive activity. This change (I believe) would be a boon to those who invest passive in fun, hobby businesses that lose money on the regular basis. 

If you are referring to mandating FIFO as the only option for selling securities, no, that did not make it.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1428 on: December 18, 2017, 11:28:07 AM »
Didn't we establish in this thread that we cannot deduct any 2018 property taxes that we might prepay in 2017?

Because yahoo front page just ran an article encouraging people do this to get a bigger itemizing boost in 2017...

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1429 on: December 18, 2017, 11:33:02 AM »
Didn't we establish in this thread that we cannot deduct any 2018 property taxes that we might prepay in 2017?

Because yahoo front page just ran an article encouraging people do this to get a bigger itemizing boost in 2017...

You're probably better off taking your financial advice from the forum instead of from Yahoo. 

I am consistently shocked by the mindless and ill informed drivel that passes for journalism these days.  If you can't hire an editor, then maybe don't employ college kids to write front page stories without supervision.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 01:01:52 PM by sol »

RangerOne

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1430 on: December 18, 2017, 11:43:42 AM »

For you or in general?   It will certainly help those who pay high state income taxes.  I know for myself I’ll pay 30k in state taxes and 15k in property taxes next year.  It’s the difference between being able to deduct 40k vs 10k.

If you are paying $30k in state taxes you are making a lot of money. Do you get any break from them bumping up the AMT threshold? Fed tax in your bracket. In other words clearly you get fucked on SALT, but does it balance out?

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1431 on: December 18, 2017, 12:01:02 PM »

I'm not sure if any consensus was reached on this point among the participants in this thread, but, in my view, the limitation imposed on deducting prepaid 2018 taxes (which refers to amounts "paid in a taxable year beginning before January 1, 2018, with respect to a State or local income tax imposed for a taxable year beginning after December 31, 2017" (emphasis added); see the amendment to §64(b) of the tax code implemented by §11042 of the bill), based on the plain meaning of its words, applies only to prepaid income taxes, and not prepaid property taxes.

This post, like all of my posts in the forum, does not constitute tax or legal advice.

PathtoFIRE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1432 on: December 18, 2017, 12:02:08 PM »

https://www.congress.gov/congressional-report/115th-congress/house-report/466/1?overview=closed

SEC. 11042. LIMITATION ON DEDUCTION FOR STATE AND LOCAL, ETC. TAXES.

(a) In General.--Subsection (b) of section 164 is amended by adding at the end the following new paragraph:
            (6) Limitation on individual deductions for taxable years 2018 through 2025.--In the case of an individual and a taxable year beginning after December 31, 2017, and before January 1, 2026--
                    (A) foreign real property taxes shall not be taken into account under subsection (a)(1), and
                    (B) the aggregate amount of taxes taken into account under paragraphs (1), (2), and (3) of subsection (a) and paragraph (5) of this subsection for any taxable year shall not exceed $10,000 ($5,000 in the case of a married individual filing a separate return).
The preceding sentence shall not apply to any foreign taxes described in subsection (a)(3) or to any taxes described in paragraph (1) and (2) of subsection (a) which are paid or accrued in carrying on a trade or business or an activity described in section 212. For purposes of subparagraph (B), an amount paid in a taxable year beginning before January 1, 2018, with respect to a State or local income tax imposed for a taxable year beginning after December 31, 2017, shall be treated as paid on the last day of the taxable year for which such tax is so imposed.''.
    (b) Effective Date.--The amendment made by this section shall apply to taxable years beginning after December 31, 2016.

What some of us are pointing out is that the conference report specifically only mentions State or local income tax with regards to taxes that can only be deducted in the year in which they are imposed. Property tax and sales tax are left out.

starguru

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1433 on: December 18, 2017, 12:13:38 PM »

If you are paying $30k in state taxes you are making a lot of money. Do you get any break from them bumping up the AMT threshold? Fed tax in your bracket. In other words clearly you get fucked on SALT, but does it balance out?

I don't know who the current plan would affect me.  The one calculator I plugged my info into indicated I would save 3% initially and then lose at as the rates revert back but the deductions don't.  I don't know how the AMT changes will affect me.  I have a feeling it'll basically be the same. 

RangerOne

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1434 on: December 18, 2017, 12:19:08 PM »

I don't know who the current plan would affect me.  The one calculator I plugged my info into indicated I would save 3% initially and then lose at as the rates revert back but the deductions don't.  I don't know how the AMT changes will affect me.  I have a feeling it'll basically be the same.

Again its temporary like all other individual deductions but:

"Proposed: Increase the exemption to $70,300 for singles and $109,400 for joint filers. Increase the phase-out threshold to $500,000 for singles and $1 million for joint filers. The higher limits would expire on Jan. 1, 2026"

Probably not enough info to go on, but you may see a healthy cut if you were paying AMT anyway.

starguru

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1435 on: December 18, 2017, 12:26:51 PM »

"Proposed: Increase the exemption to $70,300 for singles and $109,400 for joint filers. Increase the phase-out threshold to $500,000 for singles and $1 million for joint filers. The higher limits would expire on Jan. 1, 2026"

Probably not enough info to go on, but you may see a healthy cut if you were paying AMT anyway.

If that means no AMT unless income for joint filers is > $1M then that's good for me.  I do pay some AMT now, and we don't make more than $1M, so....

I know this has been discussed but it irks me that there is still ways to be very wealthy and not pay tax similar to what a high wage earner would pay.  They could fix this so easily be taxing all income the same (maybe giving an adjustment based on inflation for investment income).  They could probably lower rates further if they did this.  Then they would have a truly progressive tax system that wasn't overbearing.  That's what real reform would look like. 

RangerOne

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1436 on: December 18, 2017, 12:34:27 PM »
I am fairly bad at estimating AMT tax because the rules are always stated in a convoluted way. But I think that means that up to $1 million dollars for joint filers your AMT calculation will get the full AMT deduction which will now be bumped to $109k. Where as for every dollar past $1 million you start to lose the $109k exemption. Compared to today's phase out of $160k this is a drastic shift.

This combine with the 3% cut to all brackets could mean your tax bill still gets a break. Also if your mortgage deduction if its over $750k will get grandfathered in. I would still bet if people complain enough California will do something to ease the pain of the new SALT rules.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #1437 on: December 18, 2017, 12:53:25 PM »
I am fairly bad at estimating AMT tax because the rules are always stated in a convoluted way. But I think that means that up to $1 million dollars for joint filers your AMT calculation will get the full AMT deduction which will now be bumped to $109k. Where as for every dollar past $1 million you start to lose the $109k exemption. Compared to today's phase out of $160k this is a drastic shift.

This combine with the 3% cut to all brackets could mean your tax bill still gets a break. Also if your mortgage deduction if its over $750k will get grandfathered in. I would still bet if people complain enough California will do something to ease the pain of the new SALT rules.

Wow, that could be a huge benefit for me personally. I paid a bunch of AMT a few years ago from exercising stock options with my previous employer. This AMT is refundable in future years to the extent that our tax in the regular system exceeds our tax in the AMT system. We've been getting a little bit of it back each year because we aren't subject to AMT anymore, but the difference between the two systems isn't that huge for us, given our income and deductions. Increasing the exemption amount should help us get our money back sooner.

Hadilly

• Bristles
« Reply #1438 on: December 18, 2017, 01:37:27 PM »
Woodspinner,  thank you so much for that recommendation. What a clear summary of the tax legislation in its current form.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1439 on: December 18, 2017, 01:37:55 PM »

For comparison, the current AMT exemption amounts are:
Married taxpayers filing jointly‎: ‎$84,500   Single taxpayers‎: ‎$54,300

So I don't think that this is a significant increase.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1440 on: December 18, 2017, 02:26:50 PM »
Am I correctly understanding that the new rules on residential real estate allow a deduction of up to 25% of wages (which are normally zero) PLUS 2.5% of the unadjusted cost basis?

For a 300k rental house that's a new $7500 deduction every year, that didn't exist before.

I mean I'll gladly take it, I'm just incredulous that was the intention of the bill's drafters.

NorthernBlitz

• Bristles
« Reply #1441 on: December 18, 2017, 02:29:15 PM »

If that means no AMT unless income for joint filers is > $1M then that's good for me.  I do pay some AMT now, and we don't make more than $1M, so....

I know this has been discussed but it irks me that there is still ways to be very wealthy and not pay tax similar to what a high wage earner would pay.  They could fix this so easily be taxing all income the same (maybe giving an adjustment based on inflation for investment income).  They could probably lower rates further if they did this.  Then they would have a truly progressive tax system that wasn't overbearing.  That's what real reform would look like.

I think that this would have a very large impact anyone interested in trying to figure out how much money was enough.

Right now, FIRE works so well because long term capital gains get a sweetheart tax rate.

If they were taxed as normal income, I think all of our FI numbers would increase dramatically.

I think that the whole concept of FIRE is about how to be at least relatively "wealthy and not pay tax similar to what a high wage earner would pay". I guess it just depends on where you draw the line between "relatively wealthy" and "very wealthy".

I think most Americans would consider someone with $1M to $1.5M in savings very wealthy. From the "what's your FI number" post, I think many of us are shooting for numbers in that range. I definitely wouldn't want to pay "normal" tax rates on that income.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1442 on: December 18, 2017, 03:06:38 PM »
Am I correctly understanding that the new rules on residential real estate allow a deduction of up to 25% of wages (which are normally zero) PLUS 2.5% of the unadjusted cost basis?

For a 300k rental house that's a new $7500 deduction every year, that didn't exist before.

I mean I'll gladly take it, I'm just incredulous that was the intention of the bill's drafters.

Oh yeah, that's the "Corker fix" https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/last-minute-real-estate-perk-in-tax-reform-prompts-blowback-for-corker/2017/12/18/6be3a9ba-e406-11e7-ab50-621fe0588340_story.html?utm_term=.091b462e6d46

akl432

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1443 on: December 18, 2017, 03:19:40 PM »
I've always thought it a bit cheeky decrying the tax breaks for billionaires while ignoring the huge loophole we Mustachians exploit in the USA, enabling us humble millionaires to pull up to $90k/yr in income without paying a dime in income tax. I think a LOT of hard working middle class people paying large amounts of state and federal income tax would find that disgraceful...

Could someone please clarify this -- how does one accomplish this?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 03:31:00 PM by akl432 »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1444 on: December 18, 2017, 03:24:00 PM »

Same way my zoo membership is tax-deductible? (translation: I have no idea, but it is)

No it wouldn’t work.  Otherwise I’m starting a car donation charity.  Just donate $20k and I’ll give you a free car!  You get a fat tax deduction and I’ll take a nice salary to administer the charity
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 03:26:25 PM by dragoncar »

RangerOne

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1445 on: December 18, 2017, 03:25:20 PM »

For comparison, the current AMT exemption amounts are:
Married taxpayers filing jointly‎: ‎$84,500   Single taxpayers‎: ‎$54,300

So I don't think that this is a significant increase.

Its not, but the phase out I imagine bites most people in the mid $200k earning range, since you immediately start to lose that exemption amount. Though it seems like the phase out was pretty generous only fully dispersing at ~$477k.

But I have to imagine that having no phase out at those incomes could be a big deal. It could easily be $40k extra un-taxed dollars at a 37%-39% rate which is a nice bit of money back. But thats just speculation without people running numbers.

starguru

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1446 on: December 18, 2017, 05:08:39 PM »

I think that this would have a very large impact anyone interested in trying to figure out how much money was enough.

Right now, FIRE works so well because long term capital gains get a sweetheart tax rate.

If they were taxed as normal income, I think all of our FI numbers would increase dramatically.

I think that the whole concept of FIRE is about how to be at least relatively "wealthy and not pay tax similar to what a high wage earner would pay". I guess it just depends on where you draw the line between "relatively wealthy" and "very wealthy".

I think most Americans would consider someone with $1M to $1.5M in savings very wealthy. From the "what's your FI number" post, I think many of us are shooting for numbers in that range. I definitely wouldn't want to pay "normal" tax rates on that income.

Those with savings of $1M to $1.5M would be withdrawing 40-60k a year in a reasonable scenario.  If treated as normal income, they would get the 24k personal deduction and any other deductions that still exist.  I don't think they would pay much (or any) taxes on that.

snapperdude

• Stubble
« Reply #1447 on: December 18, 2017, 05:24:12 PM »

Oh yeah, that's the "Corker fix" https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/last-minute-real-estate-perk-in-tax-reform-prompts-blowback-for-corker/2017/12/18/6be3a9ba-e406-11e7-ab50-621fe0588340_story.html?utm_term=.091b462e6d46

I believe that is now being called the #corkerkickback

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #1448 on: December 18, 2017, 05:27:32 PM »

I believe that is now being called the #corkerkickback

What a shame. #corkerporker has such a nice ring to it.

oldmannickels

• Stubble
« Reply #1449 on: December 18, 2017, 05:40:38 PM »

My read is the calc is 20% of your qualified business income subject to a limit of$7,500 in your example.