Author Topic: Republican Tax Plan 2017  (Read 381035 times)

Undecided

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Republican Tax Plan 2017
« Reply #900 on: December 02, 2017, 06:33:03 PM »

I think it will be similar to the tax cuts of Reagan's time, which I remember very well. The animal spirits will run for the next four or five years, after which they will tire, and there will be a hangover of malaise (either mild or severe, depending upon circumstances), and people will hunt for different arrangements to address that day's problems.

If you are convinced of the goodness of your ideas, wait for that time, and influence policy then. If you truly understand the problems of the electorate, your ideas will prevail.

Perhaps. But the Reagan years were not as good as either the Carter or Clinton years for job creation, notwithstanding the tax cuts. That there seems to be a common belief to the contrary is one of the reasons I have my doubts about how honestly the electorate considers its problems and evaluates proposed solutions.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #901 on: December 02, 2017, 06:39:39 PM »
The response and the tone of the posters in here is such weak sauce.

So many personal attacks.

You all should cut the nonsense out. This site is about FIRE and how to achieve these goals. Stop the petty stuff. Talk about how we can work this new tax plan to our advantage to achieve our goals.

This is stuff you CAN control.

Nice of you to set everyone straight.  You better get to work on dozens of other threads right away LOL.

MrStash2000

• Stubble
« Reply #902 on: December 02, 2017, 06:53:29 PM »
The response and the tone of the posters in here is such weak sauce.

So many personal attacks.

You all should cut the nonsense out. This site is about FIRE and how to achieve these goals. Stop the petty stuff. Talk about how we can work this new tax plan to our advantage to achieve our goals.

Nice of you to set everyone straight.  You better get to work on dozens of other threads right away LOL.

Most threads aren’t like this... unless you are reading general melodramatic political posts in Off Topic.

Wise Virgin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #903 on: December 02, 2017, 08:01:36 PM »

I can offer something along these lines that no one else has mentioned yet. I can tell you how to get rich under this Republican tax plan, and in the national circumstances current today, and with the current mood.

Invest in the central two-thirds of the United States.

The day of capitalists running around the world looking for a third-world person poor and miserable enough to work in their sweatshop is past. The day of sitting on the west coast and on the east coast and making the easy money, that day is challenged and sliding away. You can read the bill, but if you want to make money, read the signs of these times.

Now send me a dollar for my newsletter. :)

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #904 on: December 02, 2017, 08:04:33 PM »
Hello clarkevii! Welcome to the internet!

Talk about how we can work this new tax plan to our advantage to achieve our goals.

Any suggestions on how I should work this plan to my advantage then? I don't make that much money nor do I stand to inherit vast wealth someday. Suggesting that I can work this tax plan to my advantage is akin to suggesting that it'll create more jobs, or that it's going to trickle down for the masses. That, IMHO, is weak sauce.

Actually...keep a stash for the inevitable crash. Ask Kansas and Oklahoma.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #905 on: December 02, 2017, 09:28:44 PM »

Well since it appears that all my relevant deductions are gone, I can now take advantage of the new planby taking in new non legal children for a $500 deduction, or a parent for a $300 deduction. How many people do you recommend I take in to truly maximize this scheme?

Just think, with new lower retirement limits for all the public sector, now more of us can claim to be "maximizing our retirement accounts!" So much winning. Bigly.

jean

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #906 on: December 02, 2017, 09:48:41 PM »
In this draft: https://www.budget.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/MCG17B31.pdf of the Senate bill (which, as mentioned above, may have little relation to whatever got passed), it seems they eliminated the separate 457(b) limit on page 296.
The bill that passed the senate is very different than that draft (which doesn't include the AMT or estate tax).  The bill that passed does not include this change. You can look up the section number to cross reference.  You can find the text of the bill that passed here (searchable pdf) from bloomberg: https://assets.bwbx.io/documents/users/iqjWHBFdfxIU/rXqXuQfYbRas/v0

I thought it was on the Senate Finance website, but looks like a broken link at the moment. That seems fitting.

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #907 on: December 02, 2017, 09:56:57 PM »
Ways to take advantage of the tax plan:

Try to get convert your job into a pass-through corporation, if at all possible, and especially if your marginal tax rate is above whatever tax rate they end up setting for those corporations.  They may exclude "service professionals" like lawyers, doctors, accountants, etc. Some sources say there may be an exception to that exclusion if you make <$500k. Stay tuned to that.

Other ways to win:

1. if you care enough about this, move to a low-income-tax state. State governments don't do anything useful other than run prisons to confine murderers, occasionally fix a pothole in the interstate highways and find abused children foster homes. Personally I'll fork over the extra money to live in California instead of Texas, but may consider Florida as a backup.

2. Buy a cheaper house in a cheaper neighborhood. Good roads are for sissies. But seriously, you probably own too much house.

3. All you people factoring in the existence of Social Security and Medicare when you are >65yo, don't. The job creators "investing" in "middle America" may want that for their pockets also.

4. Work for some organization that has a deferred-compensation 457(b) plan. Seriously, if your employer doesn't have this, they suck. No matter how much free coffee they give you in the cafeteria, it's not $18,000 worth.

Anyone have other suggestions? (Snark allowed, but as long as its sandwiched into a suggestion - snark - suggestion format).
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 10:00:38 PM by Abe »

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #908 on: December 02, 2017, 09:58:49 PM »
In this draft: https://www.budget.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/MCG17B31.pdf of the Senate bill (which, as mentioned above, may have little relation to whatever got passed), it seems they eliminated the separate 457(b) limit on page 296.
The bill that passed the senate is very different than that draft (which doesn't include the AMT or estate tax).  The bill that passed does not include this change. You can look up the section number to cross reference.  You can find the text of the bill that passed here (searchable pdf) from bloomberg: https://assets.bwbx.io/documents/users/iqjWHBFdfxIU/rXqXuQfYbRas/v0

I thought it was on the Senate Finance website, but looks like a broken link at the moment. That seems fitting.

Awesome! My favorite undeserved benefit persists! Thanks everyone else!

MrStash2000

• Stubble
« Reply #909 on: December 02, 2017, 10:06:19 PM »

Awesome! My favorite undeserved benefit persists! Thanks everyone else!

Yes! I agree. This is gold for those of us with 457s

Does anyone know if the Savers Tax credit survived? I usually get at least $400 of this underserved money.

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #910 on: December 02, 2017, 10:27:18 PM »
Just more proof Republicans don't give a shit about you. Or democracy.  This was all about paying off their billionaire donors. That's it. Fuck them.

And goddammit stop voting GOP. These assholes have no idea how to govern, don't care about anyone but themselves and the top 0.1%.  Remember the complaints from them about Obamacare being passed too quickly? That pesky legislation that had numerous public hearings, mark ups, debate...that one.  They just passed a bill no one has even read, written by Wall Street lobbyists, and are happy about it.

Fuck them all. Stop voting GOP.

Looks like someone forgot to take their Xanax.  Thanks for the advice but I will continue to vote GOP as long as people like Schumer (my senator, FML) continue to remain completely out of touch with reality.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #911 on: December 02, 2017, 10:49:00 PM »
I think it will be similar to the tax cuts of Reagan's time, which I remember very well.

I hope not. The national debt tripled, the US went from a creditor nation to a debtor nation, and then Reagan signed the largest peacetime tax increase in US history.

As GHWB said, it was "voodoo economics."

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #912 on: December 02, 2017, 10:57:50 PM »

Try to get convert your job into a pass-through corporation, if at all possible, and especially if your marginal tax rate is above whatever tax rate they end up setting for those corporations.  They may exclude "service professionals" like lawyers, doctors, accountants, etc. Some sources say there may be an exception to that exclusion if you make <$500k. Stay tuned to that.

Yeah, jump on this. It'll only last a few years until they fix it.

It also looks like rental income will be included in this giveaway.

4. Work for some organization that has a deferred-compensation 457(b) plan. Seriously, if your employer doesn't have this, they suck. No matter how much free coffee they give you in the cafeteria, it's not $18,000 worth.

Aren't these only for not-for-profits? I would've loved to had one.

Wise Virgin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #913 on: December 02, 2017, 11:32:56 PM »
I think it will be similar to the tax cuts of Reagan's time, which I remember very well.

I hope not. The national debt tripled, the US went from a creditor nation to a debtor nation, and then Reagan signed the largest peacetime tax increase in US history.

As GHWB said, it was "voodoo economics."
Do you consider the expense of the massive defense buildup that won the Cold War? How we outspent the Soviet Union until it collapsed without a shot being fired?

Seems nowadays people think the 1980s were about nothing but money. They were not. They were lived under daily threat of nuclear annihilation.

Maybe an apt comparison to Reagan's deficits would be the massive deficit spending under GW Bush/Obama to keep our financial ship afloat during the great recession. That was some voodoo economics too. It wasn't so long ago the markets were cowering in paralysis in case the Federal Reserve raised interest rates a quarter of a point. How quickly we forget.

dilinger

• Bristles
« Reply #914 on: December 03, 2017, 12:28:01 AM »

Other ways to win:

1. if you care enough about this, move to a low-income-tax state. State governments don't do anything useful other than run prisons to confine murderers, occasionally fix a pothole in the interstate highways and find abused children foster homes. Personally I'll fork over the extra money to live in California instead of Texas, but may consider Florida as a backup.

36% of my state's budget goes to education.  Another 20% went to Medicaid.  Only 2% went towards prisons.  You may want to rethink your opinion of state government usefulness..

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #915 on: December 03, 2017, 12:36:35 AM »
Do you consider the expense of the massive defense buildup that won the Cold War? How we outspent the Soviet Union until it collapsed without a shot being fired?

Seems nowadays people think the 1980s were about nothing but money. They were not. They were lived under daily threat of nuclear annihilation.

Maybe an apt comparison to Reagan's deficits would be the massive deficit spending under GW Bush/Obama to keep our financial ship afloat during the great recession. That was some voodoo economics too. It wasn't so long ago the markets were cowering in paralysis in case the Federal Reserve raised interest rates a quarter of a point. How quickly we forget.

So....the debt increase that will result from these tax breaks that are really constructed to greatly enrich the wealthiest Americans is like cold war spending? Come on man, we're not even getting a non functioning "Star Wars" system with this debt.

I suppose the similarity is that maybe we are under daily threat again of some nuclear destruction from another Red State.

effigy98

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #916 on: December 03, 2017, 12:55:10 AM »
I am trying to plan a post (apocalyptic) republican tax plan...

I live in a HCOLA (Bay Area).  You cannot find many homes less than $1,000,000....Now that we can no longer deduct all mortgage interest, I'm thinking  there may be downward pressure on housing prices--meaning I can no longer count on my home being what it was worth.  Therefore:

I will NOT be paying down my 30 year mortgage (i.e. making extra payments).  Instead I will wait and see what happens with housing prices, thus sharing the risk of downward pressure with the Bank.  Further since repubs value business over people, I'm going to be making a "business decision" should this event occur.  I will be banking ALL money that could have gone to my housing payment  AND if prices fall I will make a "business default" decision and walk from my home and pay cash for a depressed property.

Just trying to figure out what is best for me under this "me first" republican tax plan...

Any other ideas?  I'd like to know because the notion that we are looking out for the common good has flown out the window...

You could do this but you will have sever tax consequences, bad credit, and they can potentially take from your other assets except in a few sheltered vehicles such as retirement accounts. You could have lasting negative reprocussions for years.

Wise Virgin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #917 on: December 03, 2017, 01:33:14 AM »

So....the debt increase that will result from these tax breaks that are really constructed to greatly enrich the wealthiest Americans is like cold war spending? Come on man, we're not even getting a non functioning "Star Wars" system with this debt.

I suppose the similarity is that maybe we are under daily threat again of some nuclear destruction from another Red State.
The debt is going to increase anyway. You know that, right?

When Ronald Reagan ran for president in 1980, he made the case that the national debt was at a frightening level and would exponentially increase. 1980 was 37 years ago.

Today the national debt is at a frightening level and will exponentially increase.

The math for paying it off does not work. Maybe 10 years and a trillion dollars or so ago we would've had a chance to do something meaningful about it, except, well, Iraq War and great recession. This debt will never be paid off and it will eventually have to be settled by devaluation of the currency or the sale of hard assets.

Or we can try to grow economically, and buy ourselves time, and possibly reorganize and reprioritize.

This Republican tax plan should be viewed as more than a tax plan, it's also a geopolitical power maneuver to keep us relevant and check the influence of competitors. Similar to "Star Wars."

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #918 on: December 03, 2017, 05:10:00 AM »
Does anyone know how the new AMT is supposed to work?  It would seem to me that someone taking just the standard deduction could still pay AMT under the Senate bill - so effectively, the AMT simply takes away the benefit of the new lower tax brackets for people above the threshold?

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #919 on: December 03, 2017, 06:50:58 AM »
I actually enjoy all the bitchin and gripes about this tax plan.  However, most of you guys are much smarter than me.  Any suggestions on how we work the final law to our advantage is appreciated.   

Wrecks

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #920 on: December 03, 2017, 07:00:14 AM »
Well, my accountant just told me I get around a $12,000 punch in the wallet from this lovely new tax plan.

I hope Wise Virgin enjoys his/her extra $7.69 per week in each paycheck. ($400 average tax cut/52 paychecks).

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #921 on: December 03, 2017, 07:12:38 AM »
I searched the document on Bloomburg for any mention of the savers credit.  Nothing found.  So I'm hoping it is unchanged.

albireo13

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #922 on: December 03, 2017, 08:21:00 AM »
Don't forget the black hole which is the war/conflict in Afghanistan.

Loss of lives ... drain on taxpayer's  money ....   no clear goal ... no end in sight.

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #923 on: December 03, 2017, 08:24:38 AM »
Well, my accountant just told me I get around a $12,000 punch in the wallet from this lovely new tax plan.

I hope Wise Virgin enjoys his/her extra $7.69 per week in each paycheck. ($400 average tax cut/52 paychecks).

I find that really hard to believe unless you have 4+ kids, a gigantic mortgage or some insane property taxes.  Show us some numbers.

MrStash2000

• Stubble
« Reply #924 on: December 03, 2017, 08:24:57 AM »

Can you explain how?

I'm going to be saving about $1500 (give or take depending on House or Senate bill) a year due to the tax plan. And I hardy pay any taxes.... like 3% of Gross Adjusted Income. BUT I live in Texas in a lowish cost of living area.

Are most of the people getting punched in the wallet because they count on the mortgage and property tax deductions?

Undecided

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #925 on: December 03, 2017, 08:33:49 AM »
Does anyone know how the new AMT is supposed to work?  It would seem to me that someone taking just the standard deduction could still pay AMT under the Senate bill - so effectively, the AMT simply takes away the benefit of the new lower tax brackets for people above the threshold?

I also went through an example last night that shows that I would pay the AMT under the Senate bill, even if I take the standard deduction. If your effective tax rate is less than 28%, and income is basically from W-2 income, there’s a zone where you seem to be subject to AMT without any itemized deductions. I don’t know whether that’s the “intent.” It seems like an oddity to apply an “alternative” system in that case. An obvious “fix” would be to exclude taxpayers who elect the standard deduction. I didn’t look closely, because it doesn’t apply to me, but it seems that income that qualifies for the pass-through treatment is not proposed to be added back for AMT purposes.

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #926 on: December 03, 2017, 08:35:17 AM »
I estimate I will save about $1800.  Seems that would be the case for the typical mustacian.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #927 on: December 03, 2017, 08:35:58 AM »

Can you explain how?

I'm going to be saving about $1500 (give or take depending on House or Senate bill) a year due to the tax plan. And I hardy pay any taxes.... like 3% of Gross Adjusted Income. BUT I live in Texas in a lowish cost of living area.

Are most of the people getting punched in the wallet because they count on the mortgage and property tax deductions?

Have you been taking the sales tax deduction?

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #928 on: December 03, 2017, 08:37:45 AM »

Yes, and the personal and dependent exemptions that we're losing.

We were able to itemize far more than 24k, and now we can't anymore.  For 2018 it will be about $10-12k of income that I will have to pay taxes on that was previously sheltered.  The increased child tax credit takes some of the sting out of it, but that's s temporary measure and will be phasing out over the next few years.

Undecided

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #929 on: December 03, 2017, 08:41:12 AM »

Anyone have other suggestions? (Snark allowed, but as long as its sandwiched into a suggestion - snark - suggestion format).

I suspect many service professionals will explore whether their business isn’t just providing disqualified professional services, but also consists of owning office space and equipment that can be put in a separate entity and then leased to their professional service business, and owning an administrative support service that provides contract workers to their professional service business (e.g., secretarial services, legal assistants, nurses, etc.).

farmecologist

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #930 on: December 03, 2017, 08:47:51 AM »

I also went through an example last night that shows that I would pay the AMT under the Senate bill, even if I take the standard deduction. If your effective tax rate is less than 28%, and income is basically from W-2 income, there’s a zone where you seem to be subject to AMT without any itemized deductions. I don’t know whether that’s the “intent.” It seems like an oddity to apply an “alternative” system in that case. An obvious “fix” would be to exclude taxpayers who elect the standard deduction. I didn’t look closely, because it doesn’t apply to me, but it seems that income that qualifies for the pass-through treatment is not proposed to be added back for AMT purposes.

The 'decision' to keep the AMT seems awfully strange when they talk big about 'simplification' of the tax code.  This really sucks and was obviously a backroom deal to make the deficit numbers look better. 

Undecided

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #931 on: December 03, 2017, 08:58:08 AM »

We were able to itemize far more than 24k, and now we can't anymore.  For 2018 it will be about $10-12k of income that I will have to pay taxes on that was previously sheltered.  The increased child tax credit takes some of the sting out of it, but that's s temporary measure and will be phasing out over the next few years.

An odd effect of that, although not directly relevant to Sol in WA, is that many who lose the ability to itemize will consequently pay higher state income taxes, too.

My state allows either a very modest standard deduction (on the order of $4,300 for MFJ) or the balance of the taxpayer’s federal itemized deductions after subtracting this state’s income taxes. So those who had been itemizing (just under 50%), but no longer can, will see their state taxable income increased by the amount by which their previously itemized deductions (other than state income tax) would have exceeded that $4,300 standard deduction.

Wrecks

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #932 on: December 03, 2017, 09:06:01 AM »

I find that really hard to believe unless you have 4+ kids, a gigantic mortgage or some insane property taxes.  Show us some numbers.

I am single, no kids, live in NY, very high property taxes, and I make high 6 figures/low 7 figures (my income is variable because I'm self-employed). I am a consultant so no special treatment for my pass through.

Yeah I can afford it. If it were being used to give the middle middle class a meaningful tax break, or to pay for health care or infrastructure or educational initiatives I'd be fine with that. But I don't like money siphoned out of my pocket to give to the ultra-wealthy and corporations.

farmecologist

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #933 on: December 03, 2017, 09:07:57 AM »

An odd effect of that, although not directly relevant to Sol in WA, is that many who lose the ability to itemize will consequently pay higher state income taxes, too.

My state allows either a very modest standard deduction (on the order of $4,300 for MFJ) or the balance of the taxpayer’s federal itemized deductions after subtracting this state’s income taxes. So those who had been itemizing (just under 50%), but no longer can, will see their state taxable income increased by the amount by which their previously itemized deductions (other than state income tax) would have exceeded that $4,300 standard deduction.

I posted this in another thread but it seems like taking better advantage of 401K/403B plans will become a much more important tool to reduce income.  The majority of people that have a 401K/403B plan currently do not come anywhere near maxing them out.

Wrecks

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #934 on: December 03, 2017, 09:10:00 AM »

I suspect many service professionals will explore whether their business isn’t just providing disqualified professional services, but also consists of owning office space and equipment that can be put in a separate entity and then leased to their professional service business, and owning an administrative support service that provides contract workers to their professional service business (e.g., secretarial services, legal assistants, nurses, etc.).

I don't understand what you're saying, or I'm misunderstanding the tax plan. Presumably it will still allow for pass through business expenses to be deducted.

This tax plan is just awful.

sokoloff

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #935 on: December 03, 2017, 09:10:13 AM »
We make a fair bit less than Wrecks, but using some online calculators (of uncertain accuracy), I estimated this plan will cost us over $20K per year with the loss of SALT and capping of property tax deductions and there isn't much in the way of marginal rate reduction to offset.

gerardc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #936 on: December 03, 2017, 09:10:48 AM »

We have this 457(b), but AFAICT the account is paid out in full and taxed as soon as you quit your job, so you'll still be taxed at a high rate and won't be able to slowly roll into a Roth. What's the point?

Is this bill taking effect for the 2017 tax year?

Wrecks

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #937 on: December 03, 2017, 09:14:50 AM »
We make a fair bit less than Wrecks, but using some online calculators (of uncertain accuracy), I estimated this plan will cost us over $20K per year with the loss of SALT and capping of property tax deductions and there isn't much in the way of marginal rate reduction to offset.

$12k was the very, very conservative estimate. It's likely it will be a whole lot more. And for what? For what?

sokoloff

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #938 on: December 03, 2017, 09:20:22 AM »
$12k was the very, very conservative estimate. It's likely it will be a whole lot more. And for what? For what?
Exactly! We sure aren't worried about where our next meal is coming from, but these "cuts" seem non-existent for most people and I'd be happier paying my tax increase if it was to reduce/eliminate the deficit. Instead, it seems like "screw over those blue state assholes who don't support us".

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #939 on: December 03, 2017, 09:22:33 AM »

We have this 457(b), but AFAICT the account is paid out in full and taxed as soon as you quit your job, so you'll still be taxed at a high rate and won't be able to slowly roll into a Roth. What's the point?

That seems highly unlikely.  You could potentially get hit with a major tax bill.  I know with mine that when I leave my employer, I am free to do whatever I want.  Leave it in the account or start taking distributions without penalty, regardless of age.

Peter Parker

• Stubble
« Reply #940 on: December 03, 2017, 09:25:48 AM »

Okay--I'm lucky enough to  have this.  I've had a hard time keeping up with this tax bill. 

1.  Can I continue to contribute the MAX to my 457 AND 403bs?
2.  Can I continue to utilize the 50 plus catch up provision in BOTH?

These were things I was doing before this plan.  Am I missing anything here???

MrStash2000

• Stubble
« Reply #941 on: December 03, 2017, 09:30:17 AM »

Okay--I'm lucky enough to  have this.  I've had a hard time keeping up with this tax bill. 

1.  Can I continue to contribute the MAX to my 457 AND 403bs?
2.  Can I continue to utilize the 50 plus catch up provision in BOTH?

These were things I was doing before this plan.  Am I missing anything here???

1. Yes
2. Yes

Wise Virgin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #942 on: December 03, 2017, 09:39:47 AM »
Don't forget the black hole which is the war/conflict in Afghanistan.

Loss of lives ... drain on taxpayer's  money ....   no clear goal ... no end in sight.
GW Bush made several large decisions of very poor quality.

The peace dividend that should have addressed the deficit/debt - Bill Clinton made a start on that as he was leaving office - was squandered by the turn of administrations. To pay off a debt of this magnitude would require decades of steady consistent prudent decisions.

Our political system is not exactly set up to provide us with decades of steady consistent prudent decisions, we change out our representatives every two years, our senators every six, our presidents with their own agendas every four to eight.

Also the world doesn't hold still. If there were a Jeopardy! question in the 1970s that was "A hermit communist paranoid nation with a standing army in uniform in the millions and nuclear weapons" the answer would have been "What is China?" China was granted most favored nation trade status to interest it in washing machines, fashion, and capitalism instead of war. It seems to have worked. "Star Wars" type policies are expensive.

Undecided

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #943 on: December 03, 2017, 09:47:59 AM »

I don't understand what you're saying, or I'm misunderstanding the tax plan. Presumably it will still allow for pass through business expenses to be deducted.

Right, but deducting the expenses from your disqualified professional services business leaves the taxpayer with net income that’s all taxed at the regular rate. Splitting the business into two pieces—one that is strictly the disqualified professional services and one that does everything else—should let the TP get some of the overall net income into the “everything else” business, on which the TP may then exclude a portion of the net income under the pass-through treatment.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 10:00:57 AM by Undecided »

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #944 on: December 03, 2017, 09:53:48 AM »
It's a good time to be a standard deduction taxpayer! We're looking at an immediate $5,000 cut. We thank you, other taxpayers and future generations, for your sacrifice to our own welfare. We'll be sure to keep her family in our thoughts and prayers.

Now we just need Congress to repeal FICA and we may finally have enough oxygen to create jobs for the hard working men and women of this country.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #945 on: December 03, 2017, 09:54:55 AM »

As Reagan learned, and as Governor Brownback learned, and as the current Congress will learn, you can't cut tax revenues drastically and hope to grow your way into more tax revenues.

http://www.businessinsider.com/kansas-experiment-with-tax-cutting-failed-on-its-own-terms-2017-6
https://www.npr.org/2017/06/07/531886684/the-kansas-tax-cut-experiment-comes-to-an-end-as-lawmakers-vote-to-raise-taxes

Kansas lawmakers have voted to roll back a series of major tax cuts that became an example for conservative lawmakers around the country but didn't deliver the growth and prosperity promised by Gov. Sam Brownback, a Republican.

A coalition of conservative Republicans, some of whom voted for sweeping tax cuts in 2012 or defended them in the years since, sided with moderates and Democrats to override Brownback's veto of a $1.2 billion tax increase.

It didn't work in the 80s, it didn't work from 2012-2017, and it won't work in 2018-2020.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #946 on: December 03, 2017, 10:08:31 AM »
Right, but deducting the expenses from your disqualified professional services business leaves the taxpayer with net income that’s all taxed at the regular rate. Splitting the business into two pieces—one that is strictly the disqualified professional services and one that does everything else—should let the TP get some of the overall net income into the “everything else” business, on which the TP may then exclude a portion of the net income under the pass-through treatment.

Is the exemption based on revenue or net income? If it's revenue, the lease arrangement is a good plan and would be easy to set up.

Wrecks

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #947 on: December 03, 2017, 10:15:02 AM »

As Reagan learned, and as Governor Brownback learned, and as the current Congress will learn, you can't cut tax revenues drastically and hope to grow your way into more tax revenues.

http://www.businessinsider.com/kansas-experiment-with-tax-cutting-failed-on-its-own-terms-2017-6
https://www.npr.org/2017/06/07/531886684/the-kansas-tax-cut-experiment-comes-to-an-end-as-lawmakers-vote-to-raise-taxes

Kansas lawmakers have voted to roll back a series of major tax cuts that became an example for conservative lawmakers around the country but didn't deliver the growth and prosperity promised by Gov. Sam Brownback, a Republican.

A coalition of conservative Republicans, some of whom voted for sweeping tax cuts in 2012 or defended them in the years since, sided with moderates and Democrats to override Brownback's veto of a $1.2 billion tax increase.

It didn't work in the 80s, it didn't work from 2012-2017, and it won't work in 2018-2020.

Well I can tell you my service providers are going to be paying less in taxes...because I'm cutting back on all of them. Already cut my housekeeper back to every other week--that's $3750 out of her pocket. Cut my assistant back to 10 hours per week--that's $15,600 out of her pocket. And I plan on cutting the lawn guy back to once a month next year, so roughly $1500 out of his pocket.

Doesn't seem like a great way to grow revenue, does it? I assume other people who are in the 38% who will actually see a tax increase from this bill will also be cutting back. Taking money out of the hands of spenders is generally a poor way to grow the economy.

So if anything this is even worse than previous tax cuts for the economy. Previous tax cuts may have been, at most, neutral for the economy. This one is actually going to hurt.

[And before you say anything about my service providers sounding extravagant--I am self-employed and work 70+ hours a week]

Wrecks

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #948 on: December 03, 2017, 10:20:26 AM »

Ah, got it. Unfortunately I don't have "other services" other than my renting my brain :-)

Wrecks

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #949 on: December 03, 2017, 10:23:56 AM »
I think all of our understanding is that passive income from an LLC is going to be taxed at a much lower rate than active income.

So what about active passthroughs agreeing to share revenue. For example, I'd invest in active passthrough B, generating passive income taxed at a lower rate. Passthrough B would invest in passthrough C, same deal. Passthrough C would invest in me.

So everyone is generating passive income.

Just trying to figure a way out from under the hammer. Can anyone explain to me WHY active passthroughs get preferentially screwed?