Author Topic: Republican Tax Plan 2017  (Read 380947 times)

sol

• Walrus Stache
Re: Republican Tax Plan 2017
« Reply #550 on: November 19, 2017, 05:38:45 PM »
This whole Republican Tax Plan is yet another example of people voting against their own interests.  For the life of me, I don't get it....

What's not to get?  As soon as you realize whose interests they are serving, it all makes perfect sense.

Hint: not the interests of their voters.

RhodyUNC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #551 on: November 19, 2017, 06:20:05 PM »
I make a nice living. A little into the six figure category, family of 4. Certainly not poor, likely top 10% of family income. Not necesarily middle class, likely upper middle class, but certainly not wealthy/rich/ultra high earner by most standards.

I just ran all the numbers for my scenario based on everything I read. Best case scenario, my taxes would go up by about $800. Taxable income will increase $19k but the lower rates keep the increase reasonable. It's still an increase. Most people who itemize will end up paying more due to the loss of exemptions.

It doesn't really impact my FIRE plans, but it sure pisses me off knowing I'm paying more for this proposed "middle class tax cut" while people much more well off than me will pay substantially less.

Even worse for me.  With my giving to charitable causes, mortgage interest deduction, and property taxes kick me way the new standard deduction.  I make to much to get the tax credit for my four kids so I lose their deduction power.  I also lose the dependent care tax credit.  And yet my tax rate stays the same.  By my count I'm staring at a ~$6,000 increase in taxes. 

Not a tax cut for many of us. 

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #552 on: November 19, 2017, 06:46:25 PM »
If the state and local income tax deduction on federal taxes is repealed, I'm suggesting to my state assembly members that they repeal our state income tax and institute a new property tax.

The property tax will only be on newly acquired property.   The only property of interest will be property acquired as salary, capital gains, etc.

Because, as we all know, "dollars" are property too.

Said "dollar property" will be calculated in the exact same way the old income tax was calculated.  :)

Don't know whether it would get thru the GOP-controlled state assembly.

If it did, we would all save a bunch in taxes and it would be a big FU to the national GOP by the state GOP.

If it didn't, we would all pay a bunch in taxes and it would be the state and national GOP's fault, but not the state and national Democrat's fault.

It's worth a try.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #553 on: November 19, 2017, 06:50:40 PM »

If your estate is more than $11,000,000 when you die, then your kids get a 100% tax cut on their inheritance!

That's how we're going to MAGA.  Nevermind crumbling infrastructure, skyrocketing deficits, and eroding freedoms.  Billionaire inheritors like Donald Trump will get those tax breaks they so desperately need.

cairnstone

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #554 on: November 19, 2017, 07:16:32 PM »
I make a nice living. A little into the six figure category, family of 4. Certainly not poor, likely top 10% of family income. Not necesarily middle class, likely upper middle class, but certainly not wealthy/rich/ultra high earner by most standards.

I just ran all the numbers for my scenario based on everything I read. Best case scenario, my taxes would go up by about $800. Taxable income will increase $19k but the lower rates keep the increase reasonable. It's still an increase. Most people who itemize will end up paying more due to the loss of exemptions.

It doesn't really impact my FIRE plans, but it sure pisses me off knowing I'm paying more for this proposed "middle class tax cut" while people much more well off than me will pay substantially less.

Even worse for me.  With my giving to charitable causes, mortgage interest deduction, and property taxes kick me way the new standard deduction.  I make to much to get the tax credit for my four kids so I lose their deduction power.  I also lose the dependent care tax credit.  And yet my tax rate stays the same.  By my count I'm staring at a ~$6,000 increase in taxes. 

Did you take into account the increase in the maximum income to qualify for the child tax credit? That will probably be enough to make this new tax law about equivalent for me if it passes as-is (5 kids in high tax state).

Jantoven

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #555 on: November 19, 2017, 08:00:24 PM »

I would even be okay with paying more taxes if it DIDN'T help the poor and unfortunate, if it was at least going to reduce the deficit.  Instead, this bill makes the deficit even worse.  Trillions of dollars worse, once you account for the interest on the new debt it will create.

That's really the primary motivation of the GOP tax platform.  It basically only does one thing: it permanently cuts the corporate tax rate from 35 to 20%, and it drives the country into debt to do it.  Everything else is a sideshow.  The individual bracket changes, the loopholes and deductions, the individual mandate repeal, they're basically all trivial details when compared to the multitrillion dollar impact of going into debt to pay for corporate tax cuts. 

Whether or not you or I pay a little more or a little less almost doesn't matter, in that context.  This bill isn't about US citizens, it's about US corporations and how much debt they can offload to US taxpayers in their pursuit of higher profits.

I fully agree.  I work for a large Health Care organization that has been recording "record profits" quarterly for many years now.  Have we, the workers, seen any significant kind of pay increase as a result of record breaking profits?  No.  It appears the trickle down economics is.. not trickling down.  Shocker, eh?

And that's the thing with this proposed bill.  The corporations will pocket more money.  Will the workers see significant raises and windfalls as a result?    LOL.

RhodyUNC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #556 on: November 19, 2017, 08:03:03 PM »
I did not see this.  Thanks for pointing out that it's changing.  Not sure what the new phase out rate would be but helpful to know it's higher.

This calculator was helpful in understanding the differences between the house and senate plans for us. 

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-new-trump-tax-calculator-what-do-you-owe-2017-10-26

Debts_of_Despair

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #557 on: November 19, 2017, 08:23:18 PM »
I wonder what the sentiment will be when most people find that their first paycheck in the new year is a little fatter.

MMMarbleheader

• Bristles
« Reply #558 on: November 19, 2017, 08:30:52 PM »
Did the language about changing the capital gains exemption on home sales from 2 years to 5 stay in the bill? I am in year 1 of a live in flip and not sure I want to stay here for 5 years

Jantoven

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #559 on: November 19, 2017, 08:32:57 PM »
Did the language about changing the capital gains exemption on home sales from 2 years to 5 stay in the bill? I am in year 1 of a live in flip and not sure I want to stay here for 5 years

So far, it appears that both bills have that feature in it, I believe. 

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #560 on: November 19, 2017, 08:41:19 PM »
I wonder what the sentiment will be when most people find that their first paycheck in the new year is a little fatter.

I suspect the news coverage will highlight that this little pay bump is a temporary measure and their taxes will go back up even higher than they were before, and that the GOP only gifted you that temporary bump to garner votes for passage for those corporations.  Will people care?  Hey man, $50 is $50 and if some multinational gets to bank an extra billion at the same time who am I to turn down $50? 

Besides, the huge increase in the national debt that would result from this plan (for so many reasons that I need a whole separate post) will be a problem for my kids and grandkids, not for me, and hey I still go this $50 extra burning a hole in my pocket.

Kenbo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #561 on: November 19, 2017, 08:44:45 PM »

I would even be okay with paying more taxes if it DIDN'T help the poor and unfortunate, if it was at least going to reduce the deficit.  Instead, this bill makes the deficit even worse.  Trillions of dollars worse, once you account for the interest on the new debt it will create.

That's really the primary motivation of the GOP tax platform.  It basically only does one thing: it permanently cuts the corporate tax rate from 35 to 20%, and it drives the country into debt to do it.  Everything else is a sideshow.  The individual bracket changes, the loopholes and deductions, the individual mandate repeal, they're basically all trivial details when compared to the multitrillion dollar impact of going into debt to pay for corporate tax cuts. 

Whether or not you or I pay a little more or a little less almost doesn't matter, in that context.  This bill isn't about US citizens, it's about US corporations and how much debt they can offload to US taxpayers in their pursuit of higher profits.

I fully agree.  I work for a large Health Care organization that has been recording "record profits" quarterly for many years now.  Have we, the workers, seen any significant kind of pay increase as a result of record breaking profits?  No.  It appears the trickle down economics is.. not trickling down.  Shocker, eh?

And that's the thing with this proposed bill.  The corporations will pocket more money.  Will the workers see significant raises and windfalls as a result?    LOL.

One thing that scares me as a health care worker is I expect my employer to benefit from the tax reduction but how hard will the medicare reduction hit that. 

I think the whole trickle down is just one more excuse to use in order to serve their pockets.  Everything about this bill is just absurd.  Economy is running just fine, deficit continues to grow and this will just exacerbate that, the only real winners are corporations and the super wealthy.  Just let that income inequality grow, baby. 

As a Kansan I know how this story goes and will be interested in 3-7 years for the next tax bill to come along.  The only real question is how much damage they can cause between now and then.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #562 on: November 19, 2017, 08:53:21 PM »
Everything about this bill is just absurd.  Economy is running just fine, deficit continues to grow and this will just exacerbate that, the only real winners are corporations and the super wealthy.  Just let that income inequality grow, baby. 

Right, the basic tenant of Keynesian economics is that government needs to smooth out the business cycle, not only by stimulating the economy in bad times (lowering taxes and increase government spending in times of recession ala George Bush Jr in 2008/9), but also by putting the brakes on in the really great bubble times (raising taxes and cutting government subsidies).  For some reason, Republicans are fully wedded to tax cuts for the wealthy completely independently of whatever the economy is doing.  Tax cuts can totally help, sometimes, but now is clearly not one of those times.  The economy is frothy bubble terrific!  Now is the time to raise taxes so we can pay down the deficits we incurred during the last recession.

As a Kansan I know how this story goes and will be interested in 3-7 years for the next tax bill to come along.  The only real question is how much damage they can cause between now and then.

In a few years, when the economy is suffering as a result of this tax plan, if republicans are in power they will claim they need to cut medicaid and medicare and social security to make up for the losses incurred by their corporate cut.  If democrats are in power, republicans will blame democrats for their "irresponsible spending".   So from the GOP perspective, they can't really lose.  They either get to eviscerate the Great Society, or return to their favorite position of outspoken minority violently criticizing the adults in charge of the economy.

Mr Mark

• Handlebar Stache
  • Achieved Financial Independence summer 2014. RE'18
« Reply #563 on: November 19, 2017, 08:59:44 PM »
Anyone know what the impact might be on capital gains tax rates for qualified div & LTCG?

Is there a big impact on post-FIRE income calculations and Roth ladders?

Jantoven

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #564 on: November 19, 2017, 09:00:16 PM »

One thing that scares me as a health care worker is I expect my employer to benefit from the tax reduction but how hard will the medicare reduction hit that. 

I think the whole trickle down is just one more excuse to use in order to serve their pockets.  Everything about this bill is just absurd.  Economy is running just fine, deficit continues to grow and this will just exacerbate that, the only real winners are corporations and the super wealthy.  Just let that income inequality grow, baby. 

Right.  The cuts to Medicare will come, which will lead to an eventual decrease in "entitlement" programs.  Reductions in social security, medicare and health care coverage, etc.  It's very concerning...

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #565 on: November 20, 2017, 12:02:51 AM »
If the state and local income tax deduction on federal taxes is repealed, I'm suggesting to my state assembly members that they repeal our state income tax and institute a new property tax.

The property tax will only be on newly acquired property.   The only property of interest will be property acquired as salary, capital gains, etc.

Because, as we all know, "dollars" are property too.

Said "dollar property" will be calculated in the exact same way the old income tax was calculated.  :)

Don't know whether it would get thru the GOP-controlled state assembly.

If it did, we would all save a bunch in taxes and it would be a big FU to the national GOP by the state GOP.

If it didn't, we would all pay a bunch in taxes and it would be the state and national GOP's fault, but not the state and national Democrat's fault.

It's worth a try.

That’s cute but I’m sure it says “real property.”  Remember, this isn’t a new deduction, it’s existed Forbes a longer time and has a bunch of guidance and rulings on it.  They are just removing the other deductions

FIREchiefsr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #566 on: November 20, 2017, 01:05:27 AM »

If your estate is more than $11,000,000 when you die, then your kids get a 100% tax cut on their inheritance!

That's how we're going to MAGA.  Nevermind crumbling infrastructure, skyrocketing deficits, and eroding freedoms.  Billionaire inheritors like Donald Trump will get those tax breaks they so desperately need.

Okay, here's the ironic part about that.  Those kids will do one of two things with that money.  They will spend it (which will generate economic activity, which generates fed revenue), or they will invest it (which will theoretically be good for capitalism).  If the former, the money quickly winds up with others.  If the later, the rich kids still have it (likely even more through growth); which means our congress a generation from now can tax them for even higher revenues.  Nothing lasts forever.  The wealthy can hoard to their heart's content, but today's "permanent changes" offer little assurance that the gov won't take it at some point later.

teen persuasion

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #567 on: November 20, 2017, 06:19:29 AM »
I did not see this.  Thanks for pointing out that it's changing.  Not sure what the new phase out rate would be but helpful to know it's higher.

This calculator was helpful in understanding the differences between the house and senate plans for us. 

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-new-trump-tax-calculator-what-do-you-owe-2017-10-26
Thanks for the link.
Unfortunately, it's really rudimentary and not accurate.  It asked how many child dependents we have - 2, one under 17, one over.  It treated both as under 17 and eligible for CTC.  It then said we are not eligible for refundable credits.  So $0 tax owed, but no refund!  Totally ignored EITC. No mention of AOTC.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #568 on: November 20, 2017, 07:17:18 AM »

The real question is if people will have long enough attention spans to recognize their taxes increasing on the back end of this deal and when their tax cuts expire but the corporations don't.

Malloy

• Bristles
« Reply #569 on: November 20, 2017, 08:42:12 AM »
I'm okay paying more taxes if I felt it was going towards helping the unfortunate, the sick, etc. 

This is interesting:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/posteverything/wp/2017/09/28/i-helped-create-the-gop-tax-myth-trump-is-wrong-tax-cuts-dont-equal-growth/?utm_term=.25867e4bb25e

According to the engineer of Reagan's tax plan, they saw that tax cuts led to wage cuts, not the reverse.  Putting more money in corporate pockets doesn't even lead to trickle down.

There's plenty of data out there about various Republican tax cutting schemes and how they affect the economy.  Not only in Oklahoma and Kansas (seriously-why would you keep voting for Republicans when your state can't even afford a 5 day school week because of lost revenues?  Have some dignity, people), but also after the W tax cuts.  The W tax cuts led to several years of decreased federal revenues.  The Obama stock market boom?  The Clinton boom?  All in the context of increased taxes.  We don't have to armchair it-there's evidence to examine.

Livewell

• Stubble
« Reply #570 on: November 20, 2017, 09:16:03 AM »
A thought I’ve taken action on if you live in a high tax state (CA, NY, NJ), and know what your upcoming spring 2018 property tax will be:  pay it in 2017.

If this plan goes through, and SALT deduction goes away, we’ll no longer be able to itemize.  Even though we would be able to take advantage of the property tax deduction in one of the plans, it won’t matter because we won’t be itemizing.

However that is not the case this year!

Worse case we paid four months early, go back to the regular schedule next year and for us, get a nice return on that early payment.

Scortius

• Bristles
« Reply #571 on: November 20, 2017, 09:49:09 AM »

Okay, here's the ironic part about that.  Those kids will do one of two things with that money.  They will spend it (which will generate economic activity, which generates fed revenue), or they will invest it (which will theoretically be good for capitalism).  If the former, the money quickly winds up with others.  If the later, the rich kids still have it (likely even more through growth); which means our congress a generation from now can tax them for even higher revenues.  Nothing lasts forever.  The wealthy can hoard to their heart's content, but today's "permanent changes" offer little assurance that the gov won't take it at some point later.

Do you know what the rich kids would do with the money if any amount beyond $11 million were taxed? They would either spend it, or they would invest it. But, instead that extra amount that was taxed could be applied by the government to pay for crucial services to the general public, like medicaid or eduction, or it could be used to lower the deficit, or it could instead be used to maintain tax breaks for the lower and middle class to give those people more money in their pockets, that they would either 1) spend, or 2) invest (but probably spend because they're the ones living paycheck to paycheck).

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #572 on: November 20, 2017, 10:34:17 AM »
A thought I’ve taken action on if you live in a high tax state (CA, NY, NJ), and know what your upcoming spring 2018 property tax will be:  pay it in 2017.

If this plan goes through, and SALT deduction goes away, we’ll no longer be able to itemize.  Even though we would be able to take advantage of the property tax deduction in one of the plans, it won’t matter because we won’t be itemizing.

Worse case we paid four months early, go back to the regular schedule next year and for us, get a nice return on that early payment.

even if its not a high tax state this makes sense to do if you itemize.  i'll itemize this year and an instant 25%+6% ROI is nothing to frown at for me to prepay 6k in taxes.

now is there any way to prepay 2018 state income taxes.  does anyone know?

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #573 on: November 20, 2017, 10:52:30 AM »
Some tweaks to the Senate plan later in the week definitely helped out the middle to upper middle. Tax rates were reduced (my marginal rate would go from 25 to 24) plus the brackets were expanded (for me, marginal rate kicks in at 70K instead of 60K). The child credit was increased to $2000 per child which should make up for losing the exemption. The current law prices me out of the child credit so that alone is a big win for me.

But yeah, the really big winners here are still the super rich...

teen persuasion

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #574 on: November 20, 2017, 11:34:07 AM »

WNYer here - property tax bills don't come out before Jan 1, no way to pre-pay.  Same for school tax bills out after Sept 1, due by Oct 1.  No way to shift to another year, without paying seriously late and the fines would wipe out any advantage.

RangerOne

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #575 on: November 20, 2017, 12:02:45 PM »
Okay I reran some numbers with the current senate tax brackets and it looks like I really underestimated the adjustment due to the bracket tax cuts and child tax credit.

It looks like at least for my starter home/condo, the senate bill would net me about the same $3k positive cash back in my pocket per year that ownership would. The delta roughly appears to be $100-$500........

I suspect people earning even a bit more than me would start to see that gap widen due to drifting well into the 25%/22% bracket but at least for me it looks like I was being unfair to the size of the other adjustments they are making.

I would be force to take the standard, but I am not against renters getting the same break I would get with the home.

If I max out my 401k the new plan actually saves me money even taking into account. California would also like dial back its income tax a bit which could close the gap.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #576 on: November 20, 2017, 12:16:06 PM »
With 5 kids I can make up to about $90k under the house plan and $105k under the senate plan and have zero income tax burden. Sounds like a pretty good deal for me. Of course under the current system the exemptions and child tax credits basically wipe out my income taxes anyways but I used to get some back from the refundable child tax credits when my income was lower

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #577 on: November 20, 2017, 12:25:04 PM »

The real question is if people will have long enough attention spans to recognize their taxes increasing on the back end of this deal and when their tax cuts expire but the corporations don't.
That's a rhetorical question right?

Yes.  Virtually everyone sees a slightly lower number for '17/'18 comparisons and thinks "YAY! What's wrong with this plan?"  Very few are talking about how bad this plan is over the next decade+ for almost all people except the top 0.1%.

RangerOne

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #578 on: November 20, 2017, 01:56:06 PM »
If you are talking about the tax rates expiring this isn't a problem. The problem is the fiscal irresponsibility of an unfunded tax cut, and the eventual need to cut programs. The assumption that no sane Congress would allow middle class tax breaks to expire is sound at least historically.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #579 on: November 20, 2017, 02:32:57 PM »
If you are talking about the tax rates expiring this isn't a problem. The problem is the fiscal irresponsibility of an unfunded tax cut, and the eventual need to cut programs. The assumption that no sane Congress would allow middle class tax breaks to expire is sound at least historically.

The GOP sure had their panties in a bunch under Obama about deficits.  Now they're in charge and they're excited about adding $1.5 trillion to the debt.

But yes, it's all about paving the way of cutting programs like Medicare and Medicaid

Sherrod Brown was calling out the Senate on their BS and Orrin Hatch was feigning taking offense, saying no real proposals brought by Democrats, etc. etc.  So Brown says, "OK, let's start with CHIP."  And Hatch is like, "No, we're not starting with CHIP."  LOL wtf dude?

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #580 on: November 20, 2017, 02:54:52 PM »
So what does the GOP expect America to look like when the poor have little or no safety nets?

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #581 on: November 20, 2017, 06:02:41 PM »
So what does the GOP expect America to look like when the poor have little or no safety nets?

All those poor people will suddenly have an incentive to be productive members of society. They will go out and get jobs with sustainable incomes.

Barring that, they will suffer the wrath that God rains down on the lazy.

Everyone knows that welfare is what traps people in poverty.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #582 on: November 20, 2017, 06:13:08 PM »

All those poor people will suddenly have an incentive to be productive members of society. They will go out and get jobs with sustainable incomes.

Can't... tell... if sarcasm... or not.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #583 on: November 20, 2017, 06:16:48 PM »

Can't... tell... if sarcasm... or not.

Pretty much word for word what I have been told. The satire writes itself.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #584 on: November 20, 2017, 06:38:49 PM »
I think the short answer is that they simply don't care.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #585 on: November 20, 2017, 08:34:00 PM »
One of the commentators I heard recently said something that I think is a very accurate description of the bill.  He said the only goal is to get the corporate rate down to 20%, the rest is just window dressing.  BTW, does anyone know if either of the bills closes even one corporate tax loophole??

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #586 on: November 20, 2017, 10:50:33 PM »
One of the commentators I heard recently said something that I think is a very accurate description of the bill.  He said the only goal is to get the corporate rate down to 20%, the rest is just window dressing.

Was that commentator me, in this very thread?  When I said...

Quote from: me

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #587 on: November 21, 2017, 04:25:23 AM »
One of the commentators I heard recently said something that I think is a very accurate description of the bill.  He said the only goal is to get the corporate rate down to 20%, the rest is just window dressing.

Was that commentator me, in this very thread?  When I said...

Quote from: me

Haha, it was someone else but stating your exact sentiment. 

So what about those corporate loopholes?  Have any been closed? 

Acastus

• Bristles
« Reply #588 on: November 21, 2017, 07:33:31 AM »
One of the commentators I heard recently said something that I think is a very accurate description of the bill.  He said the only goal is to get the corporate rate down to 20%, the rest is just window dressing.  BTW, does anyone know if either of the bills closes even one corporate tax loophole??

Corporate tax cuts cost about 2 trillion over 10 years. The total tax cut is at 6 trillion for now. Not exactly a sideshow. The cuts to the 40% bracket and pass throughs for Donald'sh companies cost a lot, too.

How anyone can call raising taxes on 30% of the population a tax cut is the height of hubris.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #589 on: November 21, 2017, 09:02:33 AM »

Corporate tax cuts cost about 2 trillion over 10 years. The total tax cut is at 6 trillion for now. Not exactly a sideshow. The cuts to the 40% bracket and pass throughs for Donald'sh companies cost a lot, too.

How anyone can call raising taxes on 30% of the population a tax cut is the height of hubris.

Also known as "doublespeak"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doublespeak

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #590 on: November 21, 2017, 09:05:22 AM »
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/20/senate-gop-tax-plan-to-ultimately-raise-taxes-for-half-of-us-tax-policy-center.html

Trump spoke as the Tax Policy Center said that while all income groups would see tax reductions, on average, under the Senate bill in 2019, 9 percent of taxpayers would pay higher taxes that year than under current law. By 2027, that proportion would grow to 50 percent, largely because the legislation's personal tax cuts expire in 2026, which Republicans did to curb budget deficits the bill would create.

In 2019, those making less than $25,000 would get an average $50 tax reduction, or 0.3 percent of their after-tax income. Middle-income earners would get average cuts of $850, while people making at least $746,000 would get average cuts of $34,000, or 2.2 percent of income.

The center also said the Senate proposal would generate enough economic growth to produce additional revenue of $169 billion over a decade. That's far short of closing the near $1.5 trillion in red ink that Congress' nonpartisan Joint Committee on Taxation has estimated the bill would produce over that period.

So basically the plan does very little for economic growth while making sure corporations and the top 1% get a little more cash.  Idiotic.

A Definite Beta Guy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #591 on: November 21, 2017, 09:12:13 AM »
Giving corporations and the top 1% a tax cut makes more sense from a supply-side growth perspective than a tax cut for wage earners. The bottom do not drive growth.

obstinate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #592 on: November 21, 2017, 09:14:41 AM »
Giving corporations and the top 1% a tax cut makes more sense from a supply-side growth perspective than a tax cut for wage earners. The bottom do not drive growth.
Yeah, in that model, it's true. But the supply side model is not actually how reality works, so a tax policy being good in that model does it no credit in real life.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #593 on: November 21, 2017, 09:16:04 AM »

The economics class I took said that the demand side causes the supply to grow. So we will have a greater demand for luxury goods?

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #594 on: November 21, 2017, 09:26:59 AM »

yes, economic experts call supply-side economics "voodoo economics". It has been shown historically not to help to the degree proponents say it will, hence the ballooning of the deficits that happened during the Reagan years. People using the "supply-side" argument for these tax cuts are ignorant, deceptive or both. Other names for it is "trickle down" economics, and also
"horse and sparrow theory"
"—what an older and less elegant generation called the horse-and-sparrow theory: If you feed the horse enough oats, some will pass through to the road for the sparrows." — John Kenneth Galbraith

Demand does create supply. The opposite is not necessarily true.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 09:32:54 AM by partgypsy »

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #595 on: November 21, 2017, 09:27:29 AM »
We elected Trump & he'll give us what we deserve for being so foolish. 

He said he would "drain the swamp", but he didn't tell us that he'd "drain our wallets" too. 

RangerOne

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #596 on: November 21, 2017, 09:27:32 AM »

That statement can't be universally true. If you give more money to consumers they can absolutely drive growth. Walmart could certainly gorw if everyone shopped more. But clearly not all companies would benefit.

Just the same boosting coorporate earnings gives you first short term artificial growth if we'll after tax earnings get a bump. It will also put more money in the pockets of growing companies to grow faster which means more jobs. I haven't studied this so I must assume there are some studies on the potential impact of expanding your middle income consuemr base.

But I assume some companies are happy with their growth rate and won't just hire more people. They can pocket the extra earnings or simply pump it right back into stocks and their share holders. The later is not really the growth we need though I believe this will be more common from the largest American companies.

I think the Republican balancing between breaks for mid and high are off balance. And their budgeting ability sucks as bad as the Dems the railed on for the past 8 years.

A Definite Beta Guy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #597 on: November 21, 2017, 09:55:28 AM »
Giving consumers more money works to boost demand, but you don't need more demand except in cases where the economy is in recession. It's more a special case than the general rule.

All economic growth in the long-run comes from innovation, resources, and capital deepening....IE, the supply side. Not all tax cuts are equal, and if you are going to go for a supply-side tax cut, you should target the people who actually are most likely to produce more with a tax reduction. To give a labor economics example, men are not as sensitive to the tax rate as women are. Men just work per their social-norm required hours. Women are more likely to have a decision between working part-time, full-time, or not at all, and are more likely to work when the tax rate is lower.
Either way, though, reducing tax cuts on the middle class would be considered less important than cutting taxes on innovators, savers, and investors.

Most conservative economists will point out that the phase-outs of government spending create marginal tax rates close to or over 100% for lower-income families, but that's not the middle class either.

I hope you're just saying that since it's the basis of supply-side economics and not something you actually believe. In the economic literature, supply-side economics is given about as much credibility as homeopathy is by Western medicine.
Not really. This is just a Democratic political attack. There's no one that believes in the extreme claims that tax cuts pay for themselves, but that's totally different from everyone assuming tax cuts are a bad idea and tax hikes pose no problem at all.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #598 on: November 21, 2017, 10:07:39 AM »
An interesting article regarding existing and new tax loopholes in the House bill:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-11-21/tax-loopholes-for-wall-street-s-wealthiest-loom-in-house-bill

Scortius

• Bristles
« Reply #599 on: November 21, 2017, 10:14:12 AM »
Giving consumers more money works to boost demand, but you don't need more demand except in cases where the economy is in recession. It's more a special case than the general rule.

All economic growth in the long-run comes from innovation, resources, and capital deepening....IE, the supply side. Not all tax cuts are equal, and if you are going to go for a supply-side tax cut, you should target the people who actually are most likely to produce more with a tax reduction. To give a labor economics example, men are not as sensitive to the tax rate as women are. Men just work per their social-norm required hours. Women are more likely to have a decision between working part-time, full-time, or not at all, and are more likely to work when the tax rate is lower.
Either way, though, reducing tax cuts on the middle class would be considered less important than cutting taxes on innovators, savers, and investors.

Most conservative economists will point out that the phase-outs of government spending create marginal tax rates close to or over 100% for lower-income families, but that's not the middle class either.

I hope you're just saying that since it's the basis of supply-side economics and not something you actually believe. In the economic literature, supply-side economics is given about as much credibility as homeopathy is by Western medicine.
Not really. This is just a Democratic political attack. There's no one that believes in the extreme claims that tax cuts pay for themselves, but that's totally different from everyone assuming tax cuts are a bad idea and tax hikes pose no problem at all.

You're right, we don't need more demand right now, and with corporations sitting on record levels of cash reserves, we certainly don't need to give them more tax breaks to help them stimulate the current record bull market. So, why the hell are we cutting taxes right now at all? Indeed, we want to stimulate the growth of our economy by reducing the burden on innovators, so let's leverage a tax on tuition credits that will all but destroy America's amazing system of higher eduction, the source of which has brought most of the expansion of our modern information-age economy. For all of the things you name as important, this tax bill addresses none of those issues and actively penalizes others. But at least it will add 2 trillion to the debt once the temporary tax cuts are made permanent. All for what?