Author Topic: Rehabing 600 Sq Ft Studio  (Read 1802 times)

LurkingMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Rehabing 600 Sq Ft Studio
« on: June 01, 2018, 11:29:08 AM »
Hoping for some advice, we are looking to rehab a small studio space in our backyard.  We are looking to live in it and rent out our front house (already rented - basically will be rent free as long as we keep tenants). 

We will be re-doing the kitchen, bathroom, flooring and paint.  Does anyone have good advice on come to a reasonable number for all of these items, I'm trying to research the best bang for the buck across a lot of different categories.. e.g. cabinets, counter tops (granite vs. quartz or any other counter), the type of flooring to use, best practices around tiling a bathroom, etc.

Just not even sure where to begin when it comes to researching all the items, and if I should be buying the materials and handing them over to a contractor or have them supply it all. 

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
Re: Rehabing 600 Sq Ft Studio
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 11:58:07 AM »
Are you doing the work yourself?

Paint - I like Sherwin Williams paint. It's expensive, but good quality (get coupons online). Regardless, get good quality paint and do proper prep.

All things tiling - the John Bridges forum.

Go to multiple stores and look at different options. You don't have to decide immediately. Also consider how things are cleaned/maintained. It's not just initial investment you need to think about.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 12:10:04 PM »
In terms of "bang for the buck", nothing beats cheap laminate counters, vinyl flooring, and plastic bathtubs. Everything above these easy-to-clean basic-level features is a luxury.

But it sounds like you want some luxury - perhaps to offset the tinyness of the living space and the sense of downgrading?

In that case, visualize the laminate/vinyl/plastic job as done, and ask yourself how much you'd be willing to spend to upgrade each part. $2k? $5k? $12k?

Write down these 'willingness to pay' numbers and then start researching the costs of each finish. Let the numbers decide, not emotion in the store. You might find that you are willing to pay for luxury counters but not a luxury tub surround, for example.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 01:28:00 PM »
See if there is a Habitat for Humanity Restore near you.  Lots of used or leftover building supplies.  Should be easy to get cabinets, tile, flooring for such a small place.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 01:58:29 PM »
Yes on the ReStore. We sourced a number of items from the ReStore for our backyard remodel.

LurkingMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 05:21:18 PM »
In terms of "bang for the buck", nothing beats cheap laminate counters, vinyl flooring, and plastic bathtubs. Everything above these easy-to-clean basic-level features is a luxury.

But it sounds like you want some luxury - perhaps to offset the tinyness of the living space and the sense of downgrading?

In that case, visualize the laminate/vinyl/plastic job as done, and ask yourself how much you'd be willing to spend to upgrade each part. $2k? $5k? $12k?

Write down these 'willingness to pay' numbers and then start researching the costs of each finish. Let the numbers decide, not emotion in the store. You might find that you are willing to pay for luxury counters but not a luxury tub surround, for example.

This is exactly right - it's pretty basic right now, but totally functional.  Nothing NEEDS to be done, however we want it to feel different in there.  I see all of this as a luxury, but one that is worth it to us, and I think will bring up the value of our home to some degree.  We were originally going to rent a one bedroom apartment separately and then decided to do this - regardless we are cutting down $1,800 a month in payments with this new setup.

I wish there was a category "Utilitarian, Functional, Quality" that doesn't break the bank for all of these categories.  Thanks everyone for the advice so far.  We do have a ReStore near us and will check it out!