Author Topic: Recommendation? FIRE Familiar Fee-based Fiduciary in Boulder/Colorado area?  (Read 1853 times)

akuamunki

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Hey All,

First post here, been following this whole mustachian thing for a while. Just about a year into taking this FIRE stuff seriously. I have been saving, maxing 401k, investing in index funds in a taxable TD Ameritrade account. The key thing I know I am not doing correctly is taking advantage of tax advantaged accounts (IRA, Roth IRA, HSA, Post-tax 401k etc). I am new to US so the tax system is convoluted, everything I have been doing DIY so far, but for this I want some help.

Can anyone recommend a 'fee-based fiduciary financial advisor familiar with fire' (*alliteration ftw), preferably someone who is aware and familiar with FIRE approaches, rather than only focused on traditional retirement goals and timelines. Ideally this person would be based in Colorado, in Boulder / Longmont / Denver area, as in pre-covid days I would like to discuss things in person, though everything will obviously be online for now.

Topics I want to discuss with them:
--Overall financial health and investing review
--Tax efficiency approaches to investing
--Best ways to automate saving to multiple accounts and allocating funds to max tax advantage
--Best ways to reduce my overall taxable income to put that spare cash to better work
--Ideally someone who also offers an end of year 'do your taxes' service too as they will be familiar with my situation.

Thanks for the help,
Steve

Chris @ Saturday Financial

• Stubble
Hey Steve!

I do personal finance consulting on the side and would LOVE to help with a 2nd pair of eyes on your situation. My service is not exactly what you've asked for, but I think it would cover 90% of the value you're looking for at less than 1/4 the going rate for a full-fledged advisor.

I sent you a DM with a few more details.

Cheers!

akuamunki

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Thanks for the reply Chris. I will keep you in mind, but was looking to go hands off with the taxes part so will lean towards someone who also offers that service too.
Steve

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
Have you read any JL Collins? His "A Simple Path to Wealth" is very popular with us mustachian folk. Start with the free stuff first here:

https://jlcollinsnh.com/stock-series/

As for taxes, we pay a CPA and find it worth every penny, though we have rental properties. He's a pretty frugal dude himself, so we've been pleased with the cost/benefit ratio.

I think this pandemic has proven that your advisor doesn't have to be local to be effective. You can do everything on line, including "meetings".

• Stubble
Thanks for the reply Chris. I will keep you in mind, but was looking to go hands off with the taxes part so will lean towards someone who also offers that service too.
Steve

Sure thing! I totally get that. The full service you were looking for in your original post would best be filled by a fee-for-service CFP + a CPA for taxes. (That could either be one person with two designations, or it could be two people.)

Best of luck on your search! And if you decide you’d like to explore the possibility of meeting your needs with a personal finance consultant + a CPA, feel free to drop a line. :)

akuamunki

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I have indeed read Simple Path to Wealth, it was pretty much the catalyst for my current outlook on FI. Amazing book.

I am using JL Collins' approach to how to best order the tax advantaged accounts but I am now at the stage where the nuance between funding a HSA, doing post tax 401k contribution vs doing megabackdoor Roth convertions (or a combo) is beyond the scope of what I can navigate solo. Hence why the ask for recommendations.

Anyone got a solid fiduciary they can recommend?

akuamunki

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Bump

Anyone at all got any recommendations for a fiduciary? Even not local, just want to work with someone who has some familiarity with FIRE approaches.

• Stubble
Rick Ferri is one of the best in the business and he is very familiar with FIRE approaches. (Not local to CO.)

https://rickferri.com/investors/

To your specific questions:

-Prioritizing the HSA will probably be best due to the triple tax advantage
-Here's an article you might find helpful regarding after-tax 401(k) contributions and Roth conversions: https://www.fidelity.com/viewpoints/retirement/401k-contributions

marty998

• Walrus Stache
Given you’re in Longmont I’m sure you could just pop in to MMM’s man cave/ office and ask for a recommendation from a MMM follower or from the mustache man himself?

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
Posting to help follow. Interesting request. Thanks for posting!

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
Fee-only fiduciary that follows a similar investment strategy to many on this board. Their main office is in Boulder and they have other locations in CO. Not sure about the FIRE piece--are there even advisors who specialize in FIRE?

(I had them look at my retirement accounts once and they recommended pretty close to what I was already doing, and some of my family members use them. I know they also do tax planning.)

If it's helpful, this is the resource I use on tax efficient funds placement: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Tax-efficient_fund_placement
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 05:56:20 AM by zinnie »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!