Author Topic: Reason #5,535 to Retire  (Read 4517 times)

coppertop

• Bristles
Reason #5,535 to Retire
« on: August 02, 2017, 10:31:18 AM »
I work for attorneys.  Attorneys in general (excluding my son and his wife, LOL) seem to believe that they are many notches in human worth above those who work for them.  The president of the firm just came into my office, masticating a chocolate bar, talking to me with his mouth full while hovering above my chair.  He dribbled his gross saliva-infused chocolate ick on my black dress.  I read him the riot act and he beat it out of here.  Counting the days ...

Re3iRtH

• Stubble
Re: Reason #5,535 to Retire
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 10:36:11 AM »
I work for attorneys.  Attorneys in general (excluding my son and his wife, LOL) seem to believe that they are many notches in human worth above those who work for them.  The president of the firm just came into my office, masticating a chocolate bar, talking to me with his mouth full while hovering above my chair.  He dribbled his gross saliva-infused chocolate ick on my black dress.  I read him the riot act and he beat it out of here.  Counting the days ...

How much longer until you FIRE?

meatface

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 10:38:41 AM »

"Reading the riot act" = excellent pun in your case. brava.

coppertop

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 10:46:39 AM »

It won't really be "FIRE" in my case, as I will be 62 in September - I had a late start after my divorce.  Will be giving my notice soon and target last-date-of-work will be the Friday before Christmas. 

mosprott

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 10:49:55 AM »
Huzzah!! (I hope word gets out, and they all leave you alone!!)

coppertop

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 10:59:21 AM »
The best part of it is that I know I can survive without them.  That gives me the courage to call them on it when they act obnoxiously toward me.  Ten years ago, I'd have been quaking in my boots to speak up to them because I really needed the job.  My husband was able to FIRE two years ago after having a terrible reaction to an employer-mandated flu shot.  We decided he could not jeopardize his health by taking that shot again, so we bit the bullet and he quit.  We're in a better financial position now, despite the fact that he has no more income (he's only 57, so no Social Security checks yet for him).  It's a great feeling to know we can do it. 

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2017, 11:15:33 AM »
send him the dry cleaning bill!

coppertop

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 02:10:53 PM »
send him the dry cleaning bill!

LOL!!!!

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 02:44:35 PM »

It won't really be "FIRE" in my case, as I will be 62 in September - I had a late start after my divorce.  Will be giving my notice soon and target last-date-of-work will be the Friday before Christmas.

So pleased you will be FIRE soon.  That incident sounds completely disgusting.  :(   

I actually work for lawyers also and the two I have now are so, so wonderful!  They always treat me very well.   It is a small firm and I think that makes a difference. 

coppertop

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 10:05:15 AM »

So pleased you will be FIRE soon.  That incident sounds completely disgusting.  :(   

I actually work for lawyers also and the two I have now are so, so wonderful!  They always treat me very well.   It is a small firm and I think that makes a difference.

I'm glad you work for such awesome people!  I belong to an organization called "Association of Legal Administrators," and in talking with some of my fellow members, I hear that there are, indeed, small firms where people are treated well.  The firm where I work has existed in one form or another for over 100 years.  It tends to be old-fashioned, stuffy, and stodgy and still operating as if this is 1962, attorneys can call their legal assistants "their girls," and those with a JD after their names are several rungs above the proles who work for them.  I was in a benefits meeting this morning with one of the members of the management team, and he had to tell me not once, but twice, in front of the broker, that I was not to repeat anything we discussed in the meeting with anyone else in the firm.  I felt as if I were a five-year-old child being told not to put her hand into the cookie jar before lunchtime.  I feel that my human dignity and worth is being denigrated each and every day by the attorneys here.  The young associates come in on their first day, very enthusiastic, kind to the staff, and wanting very much to please everyone.  After they are here for a couple of  years, they become infected by the same disease that the senior lawyers have and begin treating everyone as if they are pond scum.  I am counting the days, truly. 

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2017, 11:31:50 AM »
Believe me, i've paid my dues at work too.   I particularly don't like it when lawyers are rude to their staff.

Imagine in 2017 calling their assistants' "their girls"?!!!?  Just awful.  :(     I am glad you will be out of there soon.   

When the two lawyers I work for retire (in a few years), I will look around for a small firm again.  Usually (but not always) better treatment. 

friedmmj

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2017, 07:34:33 PM »
He dribbled on your black dress?  Was his name Bill Clinton?