Author Topic: Preserved Lemons  (Read 4189 times)

c

• Bristles
Preserved Lemons
« on: January 24, 2013, 06:11:05 PM »
(we need a food/cooking section)

When I was looking for new flavorings after my allergy diagnosis I tried preserved lemons (which I'd never heard of until I saw them at an olive bar). I really liked them but the store I got them from closed due to Sandy. I found them in jars at other places but they were expensive - $9 for a jar of 4, and not that tasty so I decided to try make them.

I followed this recipe http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Preserved-Lemons-231570 for the instructions but added whole dried chilli and fresh Rosemary from my plant. I opened them today. They came out a bit too salty, but at the time I thought I probably needed more lemon juice than I used. They're really tasty though and they looked beautiful in their mason jar, I think they'd make a perfect gift for any occasion.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 08:49:31 PM by c »

Worsted Skeins

• Bristles
Re: Preserved Lemons
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 04:39:09 AM »
Did you use table salt or kosher salt?  I think it is a bit odd that the recipe did not specify.

c

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 06:33:37 AM »
I used kosher as that's what I had. I threw a few small pieces into a chickpea soup last night. It really added to the flavor.

I usually cut them up and use them on lentils and chickpeas. They're also very nice with brown rice if you're feeling lazy. They basically give a salty tartness to everything.

Worsted Skeins

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 06:59:28 AM »
Good to know.  Thanks.

(And I like your idea of the food/cooking section.)

maryofdoom

• Stubble
  • Jeopardy! loser since 2010
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 07:53:45 AM »
Right now is the time to make your preserved lemons, Mustache friends, as it is Meyer lemon season. I got Meyer lemons at my local Costco (4 pounds for $9) and they make the best preserved lemons.

In fact, Meyer lemons make the best lemon ANYTHING. They are thin-skinned, deep yellow, and have the most lovely fragrant aroma. And they are super juicy.

Some good Meyer lemon recipes:
http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/meyer-lemon-pudding-cake/ (am making this one this afternoon for a potluck party tomorrow)
http://www.jasonandshawnda.com/foodiebride/archives/5473/ (a jar of lemon curd is nice to have)

And my own favorite, Meyer lemon limoncello:

2 750ml bottles 100 proof vodka
20 lemons
5 cups simple syrup (1:1 sugar:water, heated until sugar dissolves and then cooled a little)

Add one bottle vodka to glass jug. (Sun tea jars rescued from thrift shops are best for this.) Wash lemons to get the wax off, then peel them and put the peels into the vodka. (Try not to get so much of the white pith in there.) Let sit for 40 days. After 40 days, add the syrup and the other bottle of vodka. Let sit 40 more days. Strain out the lemon peels and bottle. Keep in freezer and serve as a digestif.

c

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 04:48:12 PM »
Ooh I love limoncello, it never occurred to me you could make it yourself.

I used a couple of Meyer lemons in my preserved lemons. They are more expensive here. One shop is selling regular lemons for $1 each. I should look around for Meyers if they're in season and do another batch. My next one will be better.

maryofdoom

• Stubble
  • Jeopardy! loser since 2010
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 05:20:48 PM »
This limoncello recipe makes A LOT. So if you try it, just be warned that it will make a ton. Although it makes good gifts, too. And you can mix it with cranberry juice and fizzy water to make a tasty cocktail.

C, do you have a Costco close to you? Or a friend with a Costco membership? I bet Meyer lemons are there now and will be for a while.