Author Topic: Post secrets you know from your previous/current jobs  (Read 503730 times)

MrsStubble

• Stubble
Re: Post secrets you know from your previous/current jobs
« Reply #300 on: July 02, 2015, 02:42:47 PM »
Mrs. Stubble - if the little orange online bank is what I think it is, that's a shame.  I don't have an account there anymore, dropped it when the big company took over.

We had a good run there for a while.  Keep an eye out for the ex-founder's new bank. It will go live in the US in December this year and is already live in Canada.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #301 on: July 03, 2015, 01:25:41 AM »
Hmmm. Not sure if the info on the orange bank is solid, but I moved most of my (small amount of) money to my main sticks and bricks.  I'll keep an eye out.  Potential skin in the game now is less than $100.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #302 on: July 03, 2015, 04:00:00 AM »
Hmmm. Not sure if the info on the orange bank is solid, but I moved most of my (small amount of) money to my main sticks and bricks.  I'll keep an eye out.  Potential skin in the game now is less than $100.
Aren't deposits there fdic insured?  What is the risk? 

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #303 on: July 03, 2015, 06:53:27 AM »
The Hubble Space Telescope is like a timeshare: sure, they'll sell it to you cheap, but then they get you on the maintenance!

No, it's the shipping and handling that will bust your budget.
If you are below a latitude of about 28N we can deliver it to your door ( +/- a few miles, re-entry isn't that precise)

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #304 on: July 03, 2015, 08:27:34 AM »
The Hubble Space Telescope is like a timeshare: sure, they'll sell it to you cheap, but then they get you on the maintenance!

No, it's the shipping and handling that will bust your budget.
If you are below a latitude of about 28N we can deliver it to your door ( +/- a few miles, re-entry isn't that precise)

I'm somewhat above that. And it would need to be delivered without damage to itself or terrestrial objects.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #305 on: July 03, 2015, 08:30:16 AM »
Or  you could just turn it into a bed and breakfast

I can just see the Tripadvisor reviews now:

1/5 stars - "The view was great, but the non-existence of life-support facilities was a bit of a let-down."

MBot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #306 on: July 04, 2015, 02:21:24 PM »
Here's another one: Wendy's chili is made from old ground up burger patties that didn't sell.  Yum!

This is the case with a lot of places and their shredded anything. Like a BBQ chicken sandwich at Famous Daves is just the shredded chicken they hadn't sold initially as a Cajun Chicken sandwich (or whatever).

Worked at Chick-fil-a as a teenager. Chicken Salad Sandwich is yesterday's chicken.

I've never worked at a Chinese restaurant, but I can almost guarantee the fried rice uses yesterdays rice.

Another secret:  At my house, we eat the leftovers, too.

Any good fried rice recipe will tell you to start with cold rice so the starch doesn't get all gloppy during the re-frying. Only way around that? Tons of oil... :D

chevelle57

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #307 on: July 04, 2015, 06:12:09 PM »
The oil field is filled with waste.  So much mismanagement, decisions aren't made till the day before which means every plane ticket I've booked over the last few years has been either day of or the night before, almost every one was over $500 for a 1 way ticket.  If some of these companies actually planned ahead they could reduce costs by an easy 15 to 20%.  I doubt any of it would get passed on to the consumer as lower energy prices but if their bottom line was better my index funds might be worth a hair more.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #308 on: July 04, 2015, 09:10:10 PM »
My son deals with this every day. He is in management with a small oil field services outfit. They ran a pretty tight ship compared to the average, now they are as tight as it gets, and know where everybody, every machine and ever dime are at all times, and what return each is generating.  Now that things are drying up, and rigs are getting stacked all over the country, some of his customers are telling him to drop bids by 30%. Not happening for one pretty basic reason, there never was 30% mark-up to give back in the first place. If it's a good customer who they value, he lays all the cards out, and tells them what he can cut, if there is no option (typically 10-12%, or less) and waits for a reply. If it was a more typical demanding bunch of A-holes. The kind who couldn't spend fast enough last year, and had you delivering a $50 part, 300 miles away on Christmas eve, and laughing about signing $1500 emergency delivery tickets, since they were too screwed up to keep their own shit together. Yea, those guys are the ones he walks away from.

It's amazing what the last year has done to the business.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #309 on: July 05, 2015, 05:30:39 AM »
Here's another one: Wendy's chili is made from old ground up burger patties that didn't sell.  Yum!

This is the case with a lot of places and their shredded anything. Like a BBQ chicken sandwich at Famous Daves is just the shredded chicken they hadn't sold initially as a Cajun Chicken sandwich (or whatever).

Worked at Chick-fil-a as a teenager. Chicken Salad Sandwich is yesterday's chicken.

I've never worked at a Chinese restaurant, but I can almost guarantee the fried rice uses yesterdays rice.

Any good fried rice recipe will tell you to start with cold rice so the starch doesn't get all gloppy during the re-frying. Only way around that? Tons of oil... :D

Put rice in heated wok (high). Add 1/4-1/3 cup water depending on how much rice. Boil off water and add 2tbsp butter. Once butter melts, add soy sauce. Once soy sauce is absorbed/boiled off, add egg if you want it or serve. When you stir, use a spatula and fold the rice so as not to break the grains. Should make some good fried rice.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #310 on: July 05, 2015, 06:54:37 AM »

OK, but it needs to be *cold* rice. Cooked rice that has been kept in a warmer or at room temperature is unsafe, no matter how you re-cook it. The toxins are (potentially) already there, and aren't destroyed by heat.

beberly37

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #311 on: July 05, 2015, 04:32:51 PM »
Most of the people at Federal bank regulatory agencies who actually have the authority to make decisions do not have a frigging clue ("What is a CDO?").  Not being able to find your own ass with both hands is not a big deal when things are calm.  When it is 2009 and the world is ending for modern capitalism...

Isn't that just the Peter Principle at work?  Doesn't that happen everywhere?  You promote people who are good at their job until they are no longer doing what they are good at, then they are no long are good enough to get promoted and they stay in the new position of incompetence.  At steady state, this leaves every job filled will people not good at their jobs. 

MrsStubble

• Stubble
« Reply #312 on: July 06, 2015, 09:05:07 PM »
Aren't deposits there fdic insured?  What is the risk?

It is not a bank collapse risk that is the issue, the credit cards make way too much money for that to be a concern.  It's more of a we don't care about the bank unit and we're pushing IT projects through so fast we're breaking more things then we're fixing issue.  When you put through IT projects that cause 150,000+ customers to lose their online access to their accounts for over 1 month (or 6+ months) there are problems.  Especially when you are an internet-based bank. 

Never a good sign when your employees are moving their money out of the products they design/support.

coppertop

• Bristles
« Reply #313 on: July 07, 2015, 09:01:28 AM »
Old lawyers who charge outrageous amounts are probably worth it, but old lawyers with reasonable rates are only still around because they weren't smart enough to save, and that lack of smarts will absolutely come through in the work they do for you. You wouldn't believe the incompetence I see in the people who should have retired, even by normal standards, years ago.

Also, busy lawyers may not be as fast or easy to reach, but they'll be much cheaper than the ones trying to squeak an income out of a handful of files.
I am a former legal secretary, then paralegal, and now law office administrator and what I have learned is this:  there are a lot of very stupid lawyers out there.  I used to think, in my naïve youth, that all attorneys were highly intelligent, but I have learned to my chagrin that this is not the case. 

Digital Dogma

• Bristles
« Reply #314 on: July 07, 2015, 11:17:01 AM »
Employees of the little orange bank in the US that got bought by the big company are closing their accounts because the prospects on the horizon are grim.
Uh oh this just confirms my suspicion, I dislike the big company enough to close my account and move it all to vanguard money market. I should get started on that.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #315 on: July 07, 2015, 11:34:02 AM »
Employees of the little orange bank in the US that got bought by the big company are closing their accounts because the prospects on the horizon are grim.
Uh oh this just confirms my suspicion, I dislike the big company enough to close my account and move it all to vanguard money market. I should get started on that.

What is this little orange bank and big company?

ivyhedge

• Bristles
« Reply #316 on: July 07, 2015, 11:42:36 AM »
OK, but it needs to be *cold* rice. Cooked rice that has been kept in a warmer or at room temperature is unsafe, no matter how you re-cook it. The toxins are (potentially) already there, and aren't destroyed by heat.

Cold rice? Whazza? I've never heard this. Not how it is done in the Asian states I've visited (where a substantial portion of my family lives). Some of my family just moved to the U.S. I will ask them ...

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #317 on: July 07, 2015, 12:00:00 PM »
When harvesting tart cherries into bins, there is a "no oil in the water" policy when the bins get to the plant.  While that means we work to keep equipment (that is, by nature, oily) from somehow dripping/rubbing on the bins and getting in the water, it's not perfect.  So the teenagers icing the bins before they go on the truck cup their hands or dip in shovels to get the oil on top of the water out of the bin.  So there's trace amounts of oil in tart cherry products.  Also, they pull out dead birds, insects of all sorts, and your normal sticks and leaves.  But the cherries go through a kill step, so it's fine :p

Also, if you're truckload of processing apples gets rejected at the plant for having worms in the sample pulled, the standard next choice is to drive around the block and get another sample pulled from your "next" load of apples.  Which is usually worm-free, because we try to limit these sorts of problems (three cheers for pesticides).  The plant keeps track of the number of rejected loads by grower, and it's sort of a game around here to guess how many rejected loads a certain grower has.  For reference, we had less than 1% last year.

peaceandprosperity

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #318 on: July 08, 2015, 11:10:59 AM »
If they want to fire you, they will put you on a Performance Improvement Plan that you absolutely CAN NOT ACHIEVE.
Also, Human Resources, is not at all on the side of the employee. You are a resource that can be expanded and contracted. HR exists to keep the company out of court, And not at all for the human.

Patrick A

• Stubble
« Reply #319 on: July 08, 2015, 11:13:12 AM »
If they want to fire you, they will put you on a Performance Improvement Plan that you absolutely CAN NOT ACHIEVE.
Also, Human Resources, is not at all on the side of the employee. You are a resource that can be expanded and contracted. HR exists to keep the company out of court, And not at all for the human.

The name "Human Resources" is in itself an HR move.

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #320 on: July 08, 2015, 02:39:05 PM »

Sort of like the "contracts" of probation they made the harder to fire guys sign. Everyone who's ever signed one is gone, lol.

At a "nicer" company, being an annoyance is worse than incompetent. If they can reassign you till you're functional, you'll survive where I work. Take too many sick days or insubordinate tho....hit the road!

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #321 on: July 09, 2015, 08:19:38 AM »

Ah yes.   Brings to mind a story.  I was in my supervisor's office ranting about my sibling.  My sibling was clearly about to be fired for performance reasons.  She has drinking issues and her work was tired of it.  She was complaining about being on an "improvement plan" ... and I was ranting to my supervisor about that and how that wasn't anything but a code word for "You're getting fired in a month".  The discussion suddenly ended when a calendar reminder popped on his screen that said "9am: Go over Improvement Plan with director".

I gulped and skulked out.  30 days later, he was gone.

Hall11235

• Stubble
« Reply #322 on: July 09, 2015, 08:56:07 AM »
If you use a multifunction Copier/scanner/printer at work, chance are your company is paying anywhere from 1200 - 12000 a month for those machines. You don't realize how much money is in those damn things till you start working for a distributor!

Also, chances are good that that machine can do 40 different things that no one ever teaches you! I wish I had known some of these things back in college!

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #323 on: July 09, 2015, 09:11:18 AM »

Ah yes.   Brings to mind a story.  I was in my supervisor's office ranting about my sibling.  My sibling was clearly about to be fired for performance reasons.  She has drinking issues and her work was tired of it.  She was complaining about being on an "improvement plan" ... and I was ranting to my supervisor about that and how that wasn't anything but a code word for "You're getting fired in a month".  The discussion suddenly ended when a calendar reminder popped on his screen that said "9am: Go over Improvement Plan with director".

Wow! Awkward.....

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #324 on: July 09, 2015, 09:49:28 AM »
If you use a multifunction Copier/scanner/printer at work, chance are your company is paying anywhere from 1200 - 12000 a month for those machines. You don't realize how much money is in those damn things till you start working for a distributor!

Also, chances are good that that machine can do 40 different things that no one ever teaches you! I wish I had known some of these things back in college!

New part-time FIRE goal: become a multifunction copier/scanner/printer.

Hall11235

• Stubble
« Reply #325 on: July 09, 2015, 09:56:36 AM »
LOL! Tragically, the money is all in the sales. Not uncommon for a printer salesman to pull north of 200k a year. But if a human could do what those evil, beeping machines do, I would be on it in a heartbeat.

Also, when a tech comes to service said machine, chances are they 8 other calls after yours, so, even if your machine is on fire, please be polite. Those techs deal with the most frustrated people all day long!

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #326 on: July 09, 2015, 12:16:25 PM »

Considering how fucking hard it is for me to keep my home printer working properly, that strikes me as being totally worth it.

(Seriously, I have three printers and they're all broken. One's an inkjet (enough said!), one smears toner all over the page, and the third paper jams every second page. And all three refuse to work properly with Windows 7 over the network, so I have to uninstall and reinstall the driver every time I want to print.)

Hall11235

• Stubble
« Reply #327 on: July 09, 2015, 12:29:38 PM »
For what it's worth, those home printers are Pintos to the Ferraris that are in offices. Those printers are meant to break down all the time.
I myself am not a tech (thank God!), I train offices on how to use new copier equipment.
That being said, I can not help you on your at home issues! The jam could be due to excess humidity build up or a broken paper feeder. The ink smear is possibly a broken fuser (That one you probably can't repair at home) or the dot matrix is screwed up somehow.
Even for the professionals, it is usually guess and check. Using dealer resources is like trying to read a Gutenberg bible when all you can speak is Russian.

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #328 on: July 09, 2015, 02:07:37 PM »
I work in inkjet printer firmware now, and I can say that the amount of environment variables that have to be considered for a printer to work is astounding. Especially Lasers that depend on static electricity, humidity and temperature can completely mess them up. Getting printers into Southeast Asia was an entirely new set of problems because it was far more humid than anywhere in the developed world.

Inkjets have an issue that Americans will not buy a nicer printer up front for cheaper ink. Not that the printer is that much more expensive to make, but that the whole low-end market is driven by ink sales to make up for loss leaders. Inkjets are less susceptible to environment issues, use less electricity, and have more room for better colors. But pricing is all a function of market forces, and what people are willing to buy.

HoosierGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #329 on: July 10, 2015, 11:10:11 AM »

+1 to all the government waste comments.  I just experienced my first fiscal year end "buy everything!" rush at a state university.  It would be comical if it wasn't so sad.  Oh, but we only had enough money for a 3% raise because we're struggling so much for money, right?  Right...

I'd kill for a 3% increase our ours-we only got 1%

regulator

• Bristles
« Reply #330 on: July 10, 2015, 11:35:04 AM »
Most of the people at Federal bank regulatory agencies who actually have the authority to make decisions do not have a frigging clue ("What is a CDO?").  Not being able to find your own ass with both hands is not a big deal when things are calm.  When it is 2009 and the world is ending for modern capitalism...

Isn't that just the Peter Principle at work?  Doesn't that happen everywhere?  You promote people who are good at their job until they are no longer doing what they are good at, then they are no long are good enough to get promoted and they stay in the new position of incompetence.  At steady state, this leaves every job filled will people not good at their jobs.

The larger and more corpulent the organization, the more that tends to be the case.  With the regulatory agencies, it is at a whole 'nother level.  I imagine this goes for gubmint agencies as well.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #331 on: July 10, 2015, 11:42:15 AM »

The larger and more corpulent the organization, the more that tends to be the case.  With the regulatory agencies, it is at a whole 'nother level.  I imagine this goes for gubmint agencies as well.

I think one of the problems with the financial regulators is that the really good ones get hired away by the banks for triple (plus bonuses!) their government salary. The government just can't compete with those bottomless pockets. And as a regulator you know that if you are friendly to the bank, you are more likely to get one of these lucrative jobs. So maybe you don't really push that hard.

Add in that the banks also owncontribute heavily to every member of Congress, and that the laws are pretty weak (on purpose) in some areas, and it gets worse. Also add in the fact that the banks in essence get to pick their own regulator, and that the budget of the regulator is in essence funded by the banks that pick it, you have a huge incentive as a regulating agency to be the agency that the banks pick to be regulated by. I.e. go easy on the banks.

GatewayTwo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #332 on: July 10, 2015, 01:16:01 PM »
I'd kill for a 3% increase our ours-we only got 1%

1% that would be nice.  We got 0% and a "bonus" equal to 1%.  Because HR did a "study" and determined that other businesses in our field (Automotive) were using banded salaries.  Surprise, all of us were outside the bands they set, so no more salary increases to keep up with inflation.

Now I get to watch inflation eat away at my salary until it falls back in the band.  (effectively, I'm getting punished now for being a good negotiator 3 years ago).  The best part?  They didn't tell us in advance, they just gave management a 1 page "document" (read PPT in 24 point font) with talking points for what happened.  Yeah, not fun.

If I didn't want to FIRE, I'd make sure I was in charge of the business and get to fixing this whole "2% for merit" BS and call it what it is, inflation indexing.

regulator

• Bristles
« Reply #333 on: July 10, 2015, 01:44:35 PM »

I think one of the problems with the financial regulators is that the really good ones get hired away by the banks for triple (plus bonuses!) their government salary. The government just can't compete with those bottomless pockets. And as a regulator you know that if you are friendly to the bank, you are more likely to get one of these lucrative jobs. So maybe you don't really push that hard.

Add in that the banks also owncontribute heavily to every member of Congress, and that the laws are pretty weak (on purpose) in some areas, and it gets worse. Also add in the fact that the banks in essence get to pick their own regulator, and that the budget of the regulator is in essence funded by the banks that pick it, you have a huge incentive as a regulating agency to be the agency that the banks pick to be regulated by. I.e. go easy on the banks.

Hmmm, some inaccuracies.  OCC is funded by fees on regulated banks, as are state regulators.  IIRC FDIC lives off deposit insurance assessments, so they do not care.  The Fed has its own source of funds and so is theoretically the most independent from a funding perspective, although regulated banks are on the board of every Reserve Bank.

At least at this point, I would not say the regulations are weak.  US regulation is among the most stringent in the world.  The problems are that A) bankers are extremely well paid to think ways around inconvenient restrictions and B) eventually memories fade and regulations get loosened foolishly.

The poaching problem is huge.  Most of my former colleagues who moved on went to regulated institutions, some in roles that have them facing off vs. the agencies they came from.  Even worse is the fact that the agencies don't have the budget to hire the best talent, so they don't generally even start out with the pick of the litter.  The exception is when the banking industry hits the skids and people like me are out on the street and willing to take any offer.  When I got there, I quickly referred to the long term employees as the "furniture": they came with the place, take up space, aren't terribly attractive, and have limited uses.

peaceandprosperity

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #334 on: July 10, 2015, 04:01:10 PM »

Yes, ouch...you called that one. You could be in HR ;-) By the way, i'm not in HR but i had enough experiences as a manager with both layoffs and performance issues that i got to see how they work pretty clearly. yikes! At least i know how to not get fired, or how to get fired depending on how close i get to FI.

k290

• Stubble
« Reply #335 on: July 11, 2015, 08:57:10 AM »

I don't understand why some posters in this thread are afraid of naming and shaming. Nothing is going to happen. Think about hellopeter.com. The only potential consequence is better service from whatever place you're calling out if a manager happens to also read this forum lol.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 08:59:24 AM by k290 »

MrsStubble

• Stubble
« Reply #336 on: July 11, 2015, 09:34:06 AM »

I don't understand why some posters in this thread are afraid of naming and shaming. Nothing is going to happen. Think about hellopeter.com. The only potential consequence is better service from whatever place you're calling out if a manager happens to also read this forum lol.

I think there's a difference between reporting something as a customer vs reporting it as an employee.  I'm in the middle of job interviews now, if i get a new job, i'll call it out.  In the meantime though, it's the online bank MMM used to recommend, i think it's all over his old posts for savings accounts.  Shouldn't be too difficult to figure out.

JLR

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #337 on: July 12, 2015, 03:46:41 AM »
Thanks for all the hints of the banking issue discussed above. The latest hints lead me to believe I was correct in what I learned from my sleuthing last night. :)
I'm not sure if affects me here in Australia, but it makes me glad I recently opened accounts with another bank (offering a better cash back %, but a slightly lower interest rate on savings), just to split things up a little.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #338 on: July 12, 2015, 07:08:01 AM »
From a former job:
Mid grade gasoline (89 octane) is the worst value. Use either regular or premium. Typically, premium has double the deposit fighting detergent additive compared to regular, and mid grade has the same as detergent additive as regular. So with mid grade, all you get for the extra money is a lousy two octane.
What are you putting in your cars??? Mid grade is a 95 here... And top is a 98 :-) I think regular is 87 or 89.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #339 on: July 12, 2015, 07:25:11 AM »
From a former job:
Mid grade gasoline (89 octane) is the worst value. Use either regular or premium. Typically, premium has double the deposit fighting detergent additive compared to regular, and mid grade has the same as detergent additive as regular. So with mid grade, all you get for the extra money is a lousy two octane.
What are you putting in your cars??? Mid grade is a 95 here... And top is a 98 :-) I think regular is 87 or 89.

It's a US/Australia octane measuring difference thing. US and Canada calculates AKI (RON+MON)/2, where Australia just uses RON. We average, you don't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating#Measurement_methods
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 07:26:45 AM by I.P. Daley »

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #340 on: July 12, 2015, 04:31:39 PM »
Mind blown :-)

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #341 on: July 12, 2015, 04:50:49 PM »
From a former job:

It's a US/Australia octane measuring difference thing. US and Canada calculates AKI (RON+MON)/2, where Australia just uses RON. We average, you don't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating#Measurement_methods

So that's why Max was so mad!

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #342 on: July 12, 2015, 06:19:00 PM »
;-)

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #343 on: July 13, 2015, 09:10:24 AM »

I think there's a difference between reporting something as a customer vs reporting it as an employee.  I'm in the middle of job interviews now, if i get a new job, i'll call it out.  In the meantime though, it's the online bank MMM used to recommend, i think it's all over his old posts for savings accounts.  Shouldn't be too difficult to figure out.
I've assumed it was ING Direct and Capital One.  I used to have an ING Direct online savings account, and now I don't. 

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #344 on: July 13, 2015, 02:58:57 PM »
Not my secret, but one shared with me by a NYC hair stylist.  If you walk into a salon without prices listed anywhere, the stylist will charge you based on your perceived affluence.

TheDude

• Bristles
« Reply #345 on: July 13, 2015, 04:16:53 PM »
I have worked a bicycle shops on and off since I was 15. Whenever I box up someones bike for shipping I like to throw a few extra bolts in the bottom just to mess with them.

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward
« Reply #346 on: July 13, 2015, 07:18:27 PM »
I have a friend who is a vet. If you annoy the staff, they'll charge a PITA fee for having to deal with you.

Some called about having someone see his emu. When the emu owner asked if they had any experience with the birds, her boss pointed at her and said, "she's our emu expert." And by expert, the boss meant the most recent graduate from vet school.

naturelover

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #347 on: July 13, 2015, 07:57:15 PM »
The standardized tests of high school students used to evaluate the quality of America's teachers are graded by people with bachelor's degrees of any type, usually not related to the field of study being tested.  These evaluators are paid $10/hour and sit in temporarily rented empty storefronts at strip malls where they spend eight hours a day trying to meet predetermined speed and accuracy quotas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did this job in the late 90s, but back then when the economy was booming, they didn't even require a degree. They may have required applicants to at least be college students, though.

naturelover

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #348 on: July 13, 2015, 07:59:25 PM »
I have a friend who is a vet. If you annoy the staff, they'll charge a PITA fee for having to deal with you.

I wonder how they identify this "PITA fee" on the bill. Just inflate the legit charges?

freeazabird

• Stubble
    • Bmore Bungalow
« Reply #349 on: July 13, 2015, 08:49:38 PM »
Education policy in Washington is often written by people who have no kids, have never taught in a classroom, have kids who are in private school, and with funding backed by Bill Gates. We think we are smart, but in reality we have no idea what we are doing.