Author Topic: Pontiac Vibe (the first 2,750 miles)  (Read 7716 times)

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
Pontiac Vibe (the first 2,750 miles)
« on: November 08, 2014, 06:51:46 AM »
I was trying to wait until I hit 3,000 miles but I couldn't wait. I bought a 2003 Pontiac Vibe with 165,000 miles in July. It is an automatic that is rated 22/29 mpg. I think I have had it about 4 months. About 1,900 miles are my normal commuting of about 10% highway/90% city. The other 850 miles were two trips to Disneyworld which is 100% highway. That puts my mileage around 40% highway/60% city and I have averaged 28.53 mpg based on the gas pump. My ultragauge is typically about 29 mpg, but the pump says 28.5. I got 32 mpg on my two Disney trips and that is with driving 75-80 mph. If I drove 65 mph, I think it could be higher.

My starter went out. I replaced it by myself for $127 with the high end part from autozone. I have been told I could have gotten a used part for $50. However, I was happy with $127 because the dealer quote was $527. 

The only negative is that the car burns oil. It burns one quart every 750 miles. If I get my oil changed every 5,000 miles this means that I have to add about 5 quarts of oil into the car in between oil changes. It's not 6.67 quarts because my oil does not need to be full when I get it changed. Because I drive about 8,000-9,000 miles a year, the total cost of this is an extra $25/year at $3/quart.

Many people do not like the idea of the car burning oil and many have advised me to not buy the car. I would like to argue that this advice is slightly irrational because the extra cost to me is $25/year. This is a very reliable car for a very low cost ($2500). I think I was able to get a good deal because many shy away from the name Pontiac and also a car that burns oil. When people are afraid of things the price is lower. Sometimes it is justified and sometimes it is not.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
Re: Pontiac Vibe (the first 2,750 miles)
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 08:17:06 AM »
Will the car pass an annual emissions test if it's burning oil?    (Many jurisdictions in Canada now require an annual or bi-annual emissions test.)

If it's burning oil you may need engine work to fix it.   That's why people would tell you to stay away.    But I thought the vibe had a Toyota engine, i.e. the same one that's in the matrix?    Toyota engines are usually pretty reliable.    Are you sure it's burning oil and not leaking it?

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 08:22:14 AM »
But I thought the vibe had a Toyota engine, i.e. the same one that's in the matrix?    Toyota engines are usually pretty reliable.    Are you sure it's burning oil and not leaking it?

Same engine also used in the last generation Celicas.  If it's the lower horsepower model, it's the 1ZZ-FE, which is known to use some oil after it gets a few miles on it.  Valve cover gasket leaks are also common.  1qt every 750 miles seems excessive.  I don't have the data on that exact model, but my old Toyota 5S-FE, "normal" oil consumption allowed up to 1qt every 1000 miles.  More than that and they recommend looking into it.  If it is just the valve cover gasket, you might be able to fix it yourself relatively inexpensively and get that oil consumption figure back into the normal range.

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 08:31:52 AM »
No emission test in Florida. I don't think they have a problem passing in other states that do have emissions because I see them on the road (CA, CO and IL).

Yes, it has a Toyota engine. Burning oil is a common issue with the 2003 Toyota engine as it gets older (Vibe, Matrix & Corolla). Many people drive these cars to 250,000 miles. There is nothing wrong with the engine. It just burns oil. I think this is an irrational fear.

My 2000 Hyundai accent had a similar issue. After about 150,000 miles and 10 years I started to run low on oil in between oil changes. It probably burned 1 quart every 800-1000 miles.   

jawisco

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 11:37:35 AM »
I have limped many a car along that had issues with burning/leaking oil, but a quart every 750 miles is pretty quick.  Are you sure it is burning and not leaking?  I would monitor and if it starts getting worse, I would budget for some big repairs...Good luck!

AlexK

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 12:38:20 PM »
As a person who has rebuilt an engine which was burning oil, the situation may get worse. The oil burns and turns into carbon which sticks to valves and cakes into piston ring grooves. Then they don't seal as well, which causes compression loss and blow by, which dirties the engine more. Dirty oil gets into components with tight clearances like hydraulic valve lash adjusters, VVT actuators and oil pressure relief valves and causes sticking.

I would keep driving the car as is since the only fix is probably a rebuild, but keep track of the mpg so you know if it's starting to go downhill fast and you should sell it.

Bikeguy

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 07:13:11 PM »
I have limped many a car along that had issues with burning/leaking oil, but a quart every 750 miles is pretty quick.  Are you sure it is burning and not leaking?  I would monitor and if it starts getting worse, I would budget for some big repairs...Good luck!
Agree that it will get worse.  Start saving for the repair.   I'm an automotive engineer and normally buy old stuff.   I would never buy something needing oil every 750 miles,  unless I knew before purchase it was a valve cover gasket.   You can tell it is a valve cover gasket based on visible smoke coming out from under hood if you are losing a quart every 750 miles.

AccidentalMiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 08:59:13 PM »
That's a lot of oil.  As indicated here, the issue isn't with the cost of dealing with the symptom, it's the underlying disease.  I'd think about selling it.

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2014, 04:46:48 AM »
I'm not going to sell the car because I was fully aware of the "problem" before I bought it. I will provide updates. If it gets worse, I will consider a fix. I'm currently not worried about it at $25/year.

MikeBear

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2014, 04:57:16 PM »
Here's the fix, it can be done for under $500 if you are handy, or have a friend that's a mechanic and won't charge full price to tear the top of the engine down. It basically consists of replacing the pistons with ones that have additional oil bypass holes, and new oil rings. Yes, I know you say your car is a 2003, but it has the same engine in it 1ZZFE. I'll NEVER buy another Toyota because of the way Toyota covered up this issue, and refused to fix it under warranty. It cost a LOT of people a LOT of money, and is a design fault:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/131-8th-generation-1998-2002/402362-diy-oil-consumption-fix.html

You can't fix this with any "special fluid" or cleaners, or anything else without doing the piston and ring upgrade. IF your car is otherwise in good condition, it's well worth doing it.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 04:59:57 PM by MikeBear »

guitar_stitch

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 09:27:02 AM »
I'm not going to sell the car because I was fully aware of the "problem" before I bought it. I will provide updates. If it gets worse, I will consider a fix. I'm currently not worried about it at $25/year.

Don't forget to factor in the cost of catalytic converter replacements from the oil fouling the catalyst and rear o2 sensors.  That WILL have a significant impact on performance when they plug up.

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2014, 10:37:06 AM »
A late-model burning that much is pretty alarming. If this was an engine from before 1986 or so I wouldn't think twice about just filling it up as needed. Are you a good DIY guy? It's not trivial to remove that motor and take it apart.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2014, 10:38:56 AM »
My Saturn Sl1 has been burning or leaking excess oil for nearly 200, 000 miles. Still getting me to work and back.  Fill up the gas and top off the oil maybe once a month. It did have a leaky gasket I fixed, but there is plenty more still being lost.  Not worth the $ to really fix. Did need a cat replacement once, but the county piad for all but $50 from the emissions test fees. That was 3 or 4 years ago, and it still passed emissions this year. Oh, and I have to clean the EGR valve annually,  $3 for a new gasket there.