Poll

Do you consider yourself lazy?

I am Gen Y; I consider myself lazy.
175 (29.3%)
I am Gen Y; I do not consider myself lazy.
91 (15.2%)
I am Gen X; I consider myself lazy.
158 (26.4%)
I am Gen X; I do not consider myself lazy.
106 (17.7%)
I am a Baby Boomer; I consider myself lazy.
32 (5.4%)
I am a Baby Boomer; I do not consider myself lazy.
26 (4.3%)
None of the above.
10 (1.7%)

Total Members Voted: 581

Author Topic: Poll: Are You Lazy?  (Read 29171 times)

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Poll: Are You Lazy?
« Reply #100 on: November 21, 2017, 04:08:44 PM »
My mother said that if she wanted to know the most efficient way to do something, she'd ask my brother, because he was so (physically) lazy he'd always figure out how to get things done with the least work. He's a doctor still practicing at age 66, and he definitely knows how to work hard, but he still likes to be efficient. Me, too: I'll work my butt off when it's something I want or need, but I want every effort to count.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #101 on: November 22, 2017, 08:20:51 AM »
Revisiting this to see where the numbers stack up had me thinking. While I marked end late baby boomer very lazy the interesting part is others always say they cant believe how much I get done. But since there not around me 24/7 they dont see me being lazy. Not sure what my point is other than it be interesting to know the perception of others even though I could really care less. I agree with that photo with Bill Gates too , in that having always been lazy I would pick and chose when I wanted to pounce at work so I could be lazy for a few days.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #102 on: November 22, 2017, 08:31:45 AM »
Revisiting this to see where the numbers stack up had me thinking. While I marked end late baby boomer very lazy the interesting part is others always say they cant believe how much I get done. But since there not around me 24/7 they dont see me being lazy. Not sure what my point is other than it be interesting to know the perception of others even though I could really care less. I agree with that photo with Bill Gates too , in that having always been lazy I would pick and chose when I wanted to pounce at work so I could be lazy for a few days.

I'm the same way. People I work with think I am a hard worker because I get a lot done....or perhaps more accurately I work on what's important so I always have what they need done. They don't appreciate I did that work in about 50% of my available time and then goof'd off or did personal stuff the rest of the time.

I don't feel too bad. As a contractor for the past 20yrs+ I sign a new agreement every year and I can be terminated with zero notice....so if people didn't see value I wouldn't be around. The fact that I could have done more and asked for more compensation is neither here nor there.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #103 on: November 22, 2017, 09:53:05 AM »

Yeah, I got the same thing the other day. One of my friends said I was really disciplined the other day, and I cracked up, because I have pretty much zero self control or willpower. I do well financially because I have strong, deep-seated beliefs about environmentalism, animal rights, anti-consumption, and minimalism, which prevent me from wanting to buy things in the first place. Then I automate the shit out of everything, come up with highly efficient systems for whatever work I need to do, and boom, a typical day involves zero effort outside of my job.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #104 on: November 22, 2017, 10:00:22 AM »

Yeah, I got the same thing the other day. One of my friends said I was really disciplined the other day, and I cracked up, because I have pretty much zero self control or willpower. I do well financially because I have strong, deep-seated beliefs about environmentalism, animal rights, anti-consumption, and minimalism, which prevent me from wanting to buy things in the first place. Then I automate the shit out of everything, come up with highly efficient systems for whatever work I need to do, and boom, a typical day involves zero effort outside of my job.

I'm the same way. People I work with think I am a hard worker because I get a lot done....or perhaps more accurately I work on what's important so I always have what they need done. They don't appreciate I did that work in about 50% of my available time and then goof'd off or did personal stuff the rest of the time.

I don't feel too bad. As a contractor for the past 20yrs+ I sign a new agreement every year and I can be terminated with zero notice....so if people didn't see value I wouldn't be around. The fact that I could have done more and asked for more compensation is neither here nor there.

There is probably more people like us than we think! So were just more efficient.

BiochemicalDJ

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
    • My FI Journal
« Reply #105 on: November 22, 2017, 10:12:07 AM »
I would say I'm lazy, but paradoxically very motivated to do very un-lazy things in pursuit of the freedom to be as lazy as I want.

Yep. I describe myself to my friends as lazy, and then they respond with "But you taught yourself how to repair bikes and cars! You fix computers in your spare time! You learned how to repair your snowblower!"

And I'm like "I'm interested in those things, or they're important to me. So it doesn't feel like work.

That being said, there's a bike frame outside that needs a strip-down or a sell, and I need to move some stuff around my garage to get the snowblower out... (just hasn't been sufficient motivation. Like a big enough snowstorm.)

Bourbon

• Bristles
« Reply #106 on: November 22, 2017, 10:19:33 AM »
I voted lazy, and probably picked the wrong generation.

But I'm the hardest working lazy person I know. 

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #107 on: November 22, 2017, 11:03:18 AM »
Hard work is overrated. Smart work is where it’s at.

Would you rather be the most swole baddest ditch digger on the block, or the guy who found a way to not need a ditch?

gggggg

• Bristles
« Reply #108 on: November 22, 2017, 11:32:30 AM »
Gen X, and have been called lazy all my life. However, I'm only lazy at things I don't want to do. I put massive time and energy into things I like.

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #109 on: November 22, 2017, 11:52:07 AM »
I feel there's a difference between other people's perception and your own personal perception.

I marked lazy because I feel I spend a large amount of time slacking off when I feel I really should be doing something productive. However, I think I probably appear more productive/not lazy to people on the outside.

Stoic on FIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • This too shall pass.
« Reply #110 on: November 22, 2017, 06:43:23 PM »
This topic, though old, reminds me of a quote from a Prussian general officer.     
General Freiherr von Hammerstein-Equord, the present chief of the German Army, has a method of selecting officers which strikes us as being highly original and peculiarly un-­Prussian. According to Exchange, a Berlin newspaper has printed the following as his answer to a query as to how he judged his officers: “I divide my officers into four classes as follows: The clever, the industrious, the lazy, and the stupid. Each officer always possesses two of these qualities.

Those who are clever and industrious I appoint to the General Staff. Use can under certain circumstances be made of those who are stupid and lazy. The man who is clever and lazy qualifies for the highest leadership posts. He has the requisite nerves and the mental clarity for difficult decisions. But whoever is stupid and industrious must be got rid of, for he is too dangerous.”

I voted lazy, but if action is absolutely necessary or I'm particularly keen about something I can make stuff happen. It's part of the reason I like gardening, mead-making, vermiculture, and index investing I guess.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!