Author Topic: Places that pay you to move  (Read 2269 times)

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
Places that pay you to move
« on: January 01, 2019, 03:48:11 PM »
I was reading this article about US places that give people incentives to move there, especially if they have jobs they can do remotely, and thought it might be interesting for some of you:
https://www.citylab.com/life/2018/11/tusla-oklahoma-housing-grant-foundation-remote-worker/575311/?utm_term=2018-12-28T14%3A24%3A14&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=citylab&utm_medium=social&utm_content=edit-promo

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Places that pay you to move
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 04:11:08 PM »
Interesting. But these two things seem slightly contradictory to me:

In an effort to beef up the city’s tech workforce, the George Kaiser Family Foundation is offering $10,000, free rent, and other perks to remote workers who move to Tulsa for a year.

I mean, they're not joining the city's workforce, right? (Maybe Tulsa is hoping they do?)

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 10:18:49 AM »
They're still adding to the tax base, shopping, dining out, etc.  Through this, they probably subsidize a number of local jobs.

Lady Stash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 11:54:32 AM »
I was looking at this also.  It's a bit tempting.  The houses are super cheap.  The crime rate seems a bit high though.  Also I worry I would get a bit bored after living in big cities all my life.

Still for a year long adventure, it is tempting.  The application has tons of thoughtful questions.  It sounds like they are trying to build a tech community in the heart of their art district.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 12:14:40 PM »
There are other places where they do similar things, where there is lesscrime. In northern Norway, if you survive the first winter, you get a tax credit, cheaper electricity, and they write off your (Norwegian) student loan with 10 % per year. In addition, there are a lot of grants for people who want to start businesses in that region.

The Spanish and Italian towns here look tempting: https://darlingescapes.com/10-countries-that-will-pay-you-to-move-there/

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 06:13:18 AM »
The Spanish and Italian towns here look tempting: https://darlingescapes.com/10-countries-that-will-pay-you-to-move-there/

Hot damn, I'll bet the mountain biking in Ponga is awesome.  Just look at the topography. 

And the Italian city is pretty in the pictures they posted, but I'll bet its a dump.  Southern Italy doesn't really have an economy beyond farming so I'm not sure its really feasible to find a job there like the mayor wants you to. 

BobbyTables

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2019, 06:37:17 AM »

BudgetSlasher

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2019, 05:23:30 PM »
Interesting. But these two things seem slightly contradictory to me:

In an effort to beef up the city’s tech workforce, the George Kaiser Family Foundation is offering $10,000, free rent, and other perks to remote workers who move to Tulsa for a year.

I mean, they're not joining the city's workforce, right? (Maybe Tulsa is hoping they do?)

I am not sure why they used that as the sub-title.

Generally speaking (or at least in my experience) these sorts of programs (at least at the State level, not sure about town) are geared more towards bringing higher earning workers into the local tax base and having dollars flowing into the state. Increasing the skilled local talent pool to attract future employers is a consideration, but a down-the-line-dream kind of consideration.