Author Topic: Personal Capital got a new look  (Read 6899 times)

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
Personal Capital got a new look
« on: May 24, 2017, 05:50:01 AM »
I kinda like it!

Gumption

• Stubble
Re: Personal Capital got a new look
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 09:02:07 AM »
I agree..its nice to mix it up once in awhile.
I wish you could choose the windows you prefer though.
i use mint for budgeting, so I'd love to turn off that feature on PC

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 10:39:03 AM »
Reminds me of Windows tiles a little bit. They've definitely packed more information into the dashboard. Did you notice the "charts" for the different categories of assets/liabilities in the background of each asset title on the left side bar? I think they're toeing the line pretty well on data overload in a small space.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 10:43:51 AM »
yeah i saw those i like them.

i like that it shows assets and liabilities at the top now... that used to be only on the app

the other feature i havent check on that i would like added is custom budget categories. would make it alot easier.  b/c i use general merchandise to keep all my boating expenses in one place. to know what its really costing me.

MVal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 11:27:02 AM »
I did not like it at first! My favorite part about the previous outlook was all the accounts were listed on the side so I could look at those before moving my eyes to the top of the screen to see the final change in my net worth (I know, I'm one of those weird, daily-checkers). It has totally thrown off my daily ritual. With the new layout, it is harder for my net worth to be a "surprise" to me after I look at the changes in all my accounts. I know, totally strange.

It does look more visually appealing though, so I think it will grow on me.

tarheeldan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 11:30:05 AM »
Ooh! I like it :-) Much more efficient with the space it seems.

Secretly Saving

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 11:52:25 AM »
I noticed it too.  That's a whole lot of info packed into a tiny space.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 12:03:35 PM »
I did not like it at first! My favorite part about the previous outlook was all the accounts were listed on the side so I could look at those before moving my eyes to the top of the screen to see the final change in my net worth (I know, I'm one of those weird, daily-checkers). It has totally thrown off my daily ritual. With the new layout, it is harder for my net worth to be a "surprise" to me after I look at the changes in all my accounts. I know, totally strange.

i check daily... sometimes multiple times a day.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 02:23:55 PM »
I shouldn't but I check daily. Our net worth is within about 10k of touching 1.4 million and I keep waiting for the big day! Lol. It's dumb but I find it entertaining.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 02:36:43 PM »
I shouldn't but I check daily. Our net worth is within about 10k of touching 1.4 million and I keep waiting for the big day! Lol. It's dumb but I find it entertaining.

yeah i agree i just like seeing it go up.  we're close to half that number at 670k.  by the time i hit 33 i should be up around your number too.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 03:11:28 PM »

yeah i agree i just like seeing it go up.  we're close to half that number at 670k.  by the time i hit 33 i should be up around your number too.
Of course if the market were dropping right now, checking every day would probably make me shed a tear...not really. I wouldn't check it every day in a falling market. Not worth the trauma. haha

Rocket

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2017, 04:35:20 PM »
I noticed the change as well and like it so far.  Was hoping they'd had made some improvements like custom tags or correctly adding Cash from banking accounts to the allocation.  But alas those things have not been added.  Was trying to figure what improvements had been made other than the look changes.

ptobest

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2017, 11:55:17 PM »
I'm still getting used to the new interface, but I think I like it. Biggest bonus for me is that, on charts such as the Net Worth chart, when hovering over the chart you can see data for individual dates, which you couldn't before.

And I check my account basically every day I work, mostly as a personal assurance that all this time spent sitting in front of the computer doing a job for someone else is helping me out in the long run.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2017, 06:11:16 AM »
i like the savings to date vs goal at the bottom.  pretty cool and extremely accurate for me so far.

MVal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2017, 06:10:02 PM »

i check daily... sometimes multiple times a day.

I would check multiple times a day, but I notice it only really changes for me after 4:30 pm. Between 4:30 and 5:00, I'm hitting refresh like a madwoman!

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2017, 06:24:19 PM »
I only check every couple weeks when I'm updating my FIRE calculators since all the numbers I need are right there, but it stopped syncing my Vanguard accounts on the 25th.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2017, 06:50:16 PM »
I only check every couple weeks when I'm updating my FIRE calculators since all the numbers I need are right there, but it stopped syncing my Vanguard accounts on the 25th.
You might just need to refresh them. My Vanguard accounts are working okay. Does it show a little red circle with an exclamation point in it next to those accounts?

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2017, 07:48:49 PM »
You might just need to refresh them. My Vanguard accounts are working okay. Does it show a little red circle with an exclamation point in it next to those accounts?

Yep, and it insists the username and password for my Vanguard accounts isn't valid. It's going on four days since I filed a ticket and no response yet.

Firehazard

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2017, 07:08:19 PM »
My CapitolOne360 account stopped syncing, and then my Fidelity 401k, and then a couple weeks later my Fidelity Roth and brokerage accounts, same issue as your Vanguard acct. Tried twice for customer service, but they never bothered to respond.  So I don't bother with Personal capital anymore.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2017, 09:12:04 PM »
My wife's Vanguard account stopped syncing today. It's under a different username/password than my accounts. I bit the bullet and deleted them all and re-added them, but then I got the yellow dot above them all so I guess they're having some sync issues across the board. It also created a duplicate of every one of my Vanguard accounts (with inaccurate amounts) so my Net Worth is about $150k more than it should be, and they all say their last sync was on 22 May.

It's an absolute mess right now and their customer support for the free app is almost non-existent.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2017, 03:36:53 PM »
While I'm sitting at my laptop struggling with my accounts that won't even re-add properly, a guy from PC calls talking way too fast offering to coach me on retirement planning and all these great things he could do for me. Lucky for him he spun this tale at my voicemail instead of me.  That would have been the most ironic conversation to have.

6-Saturdays

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2017, 06:06:25 PM »
Ok with the new look, but one Vanguard account that "says" it isn't syncing, but may or may not actually be syncing (amount it has aligns with what the Vanguard site says), and our daily totals are always off by some positive amount each day. It seems like it corrects by the next day. Since it's a free service I try not to get too uptight about it, by I'm also a daily checker, mainly for the fun. 

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2017, 06:46:33 PM »
Ok with the new look, but one Vanguard account that "says" it isn't syncing, but may or may not actually be syncing (amount it has aligns with what the Vanguard site says), and our daily totals are always off by some positive amount each day. It seems like it corrects by the next day. Since it's a free service I try not to get too uptight about it, by I'm also a daily checker, mainly for the fun.

I suppose I shouldn't get too worked up over a free service, but since this app is the hook they use to justify calling me every few months and try to convince me they're better with my money than I am I find it annoying that it's been having significant problems the last few weeks and their customer support for this software is spotty at best to begin with.

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2017, 08:05:18 PM »
It's adding charges to a credit card that does not exist.  It might have existed in the past, but it was either compromised or downgraded.  At least that's my theory, because I no longer have the old card and I don't want to dig the statements out of the files.  The charges are added on to the replacement card as well.  The card does not show on the lender's website.  Unnerving the first time it appeared.

My guess is all the IT resources were spent on the update.  I don't think the business is very successful because of the high fees, and I expect it to be sold or shut down.  Soon, if it's being funded by the VC crowd.

Rocket

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2017, 08:27:07 PM »
Some of my accounts periodically break and have the red dot.  This happened this week with Fidelity and meant I needed to re-enter my login and password.  Clicking on the broken account typically brings up a form for entering login/password.  This has also happened with Vanguard and American Express Personal Savings and re-entering passwords has always fixed the problem.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2017, 07:40:28 AM »
yeah its been happening with my Vanguard accounts more this month - the red dots. but i just enter my login and its fixed.

i really like the retirement tool where you can play around with your ages and incomes you expect in retirement.