Author Topic: Pandemic hoarding  (Read 262159 times)

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
Re: Pandemic hoarding
« Reply #400 on: November 11, 2020, 02:46:24 PM »
I went to the store today to finish up my pandemic "hoard".  It consists of an extra 4.5 square feet of shelf space in a pantry area where I used to store only mason jars.  My regular pantry is a bit more full too.  I'm now fully stocked with almost every dry good I can think of to make the sorts of recipes I like.  Now I'll switch to system of just replacing what I use up.  Living alone makes a lot of things about this pandemic harder (I miss hugs!), but it does make it easier to stock up on food.

I also bought the non-perishable food I'll need for my (solo) Thanksgiving dinner.  My first away from my family in my 34 years of life :(  My plan is to make all my favorite side dishes I usually make with my mom, and skip the turkey because that seems like a pain.  My only "fancy" cooking planned for the holiday is an apple pie.

My store was pretty normally stocked, except I saw a sign saying that boxed stuffing mix was limited to 4 per person (along with the sign about 2 cleaning products per person that's been there the whole pandemic).

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #401 on: November 11, 2020, 03:10:18 PM »
Canadian Tire finally got 500 ml canning jars in, so there are now 3 boxes (12 each) under my bed for next year, just in case.  Under my bed has turned out to be prime storage space.  My poor cat starts to go under, and has to reroute.  I have enough paper towel to get me through the winter, and enough TP to get me to January.  The freezer is nearly full.  I prefer fresh (meat, veg, fruit) but have enough frozen to get me through some bad weather (standard Canadian refrain, winter is coming, on the prairies it has already come) so the only things I really have to hit the grocery store for on a regular basis are eggs and cream, both of which will keep for a few weeks in the fridge.  As cases have gone up here I am really trying to limit being in buildings, so basically at this point it is the library, the grocery store, and the dentist.  There are a few things I need that I am trying to find online before I venture into a store for them.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #402 on: November 11, 2020, 03:29:56 PM »
Please tell me what supplier you all use for dehydrated veggies. That is a good idea. I have the boxes of scalloped potatoes which comes in handy as a side dish.

I have been buying 3 dozen eggs each time I am down to the last dozen. Eggs keep a long time. Last week I went to the store and found Jumbo eggs for $1.79 a dozen which I thought was a bargain! Make sure you check the expiration dates. Some stores are sneaky and have old eggs to sell.

As far as not having turkey for Thanksgiving, SquashingDebt, maybe you could get some thick deli slices and warm them up with jarred gravy. It would taste pretty good and you could have a good amount of turkey to enjoy. No real cooking involved. Or buy a roasting chicken and 'pretend' it is turkey! LOL!

Yes, I have canned tomatoes and use them often. They are a must! Full of Vit. C too! I use them in so many things.

Metamucil is great for fiber but not sure if a vitamin pill is enough. But better than nothing I suppose if it was the end of the world and there was no food.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #403 on: November 11, 2020, 03:57:39 PM »
We’re planning  to roast a couple chicken breasts for thanksgiving dinner. The sides really are what I want to eat but my spouse will want some meat. It seems silly to make soooo many sides for just two people. I’m not sure my spouse has ever had stuffing so I got a pack of stovetop. Got a can of cranberry sauce. That’s enough to make it feel very holiday like for me.

Now for Christmas.  I’m hungry for melt in your mouth smoked ham. But not sure I can find one small enough?!  We just have a small freezer and only need so many leftovers.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #404 on: November 11, 2020, 04:22:50 PM »
Costco today had no turkeys. I wanted to post a picture of their "out of stock" items. "Turkey" made the list. Costco today had 2 hams left.  We don't love ham, so I didn't get that.  I figure expensive Rib Eye roasts will still be around for xmas, and we might be in IL for that festivity so it doesn't make sense to panic and buy that yet.  It may be a very interesting Christmas ala Scrooge in America if not every house can have a Christmas ham that wants one.

I bought peaches and mixed fruit as well as pineapple.  I have no answer to the Metamucil question, but we have no fiber in the house. There seemed to be plenty of canned goods available at Costco in the regular varieties.  Our cereal bins are almost empty, but no one is eating cold cereal in the winter....so meh. It's all put away and there's still room for more. Chocolate syrup decadence? I got a big pack of Swiss Miss hot cocoa.  I figured it's tasty calories. $2.99 on super sale.  That's cheaper than powdered milk.

We're going to limit the sides to just mashed potatoes, jello salad (kids' favorite part), turkey, and green bean casserole.  I did buy stuffing, but don't know if we'll actually make more than what we put in the bird.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #405 on: November 11, 2020, 05:09:10 PM »
Costco today had no turkeys. I wanted to post a picture of their "out of stock" items. "Turkey" made the list. Costco today had 2 hams left.  We don't love ham, so I didn't get that.  I figure expensive Rib Eye roasts will still be around for xmas, and we might be in IL for that festivity so it doesn't make sense to panic and buy that yet.  It may be a very interesting Christmas ala Scrooge in America if not every house can have a Christmas ham that wants one.

Well, shoot. I'd better try to get a turkey soon.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #406 on: November 11, 2020, 05:20:51 PM »
@Roadrunner53 You asked about suppliers for dehydrated veggies:
For dehydrated mixed veg that are good in rice and soups, I buy them at a bulk food chain called Bulk Barn. They're dirt cheap.

For dehydrated shiitake mushrooms, which can be used in place of fresh mushrooms in any cooked recipe, I buy them in big packages in the Chinese / Asian section of Superstore my big supermarket, though they're also available at pretty much any Asian grocery store. FAR cheaper than fresh and have a very long shelf life. I generally use them in either rice dishes or to make lentil mushroom pate.

I ordered dehydrated vegetables, beans, and lentils from North Bay Trading earlier this year. The quality has been very good.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #407 on: November 11, 2020, 07:04:29 PM »
If you take a daily multivitamin and have powdered fiber mix like Metamucil . . . is there really any reason to eat vegetables/fruit?  Serious question.  I like fruit for the flavour (and vegetables for textural variety), but if you're in a real survival situation is there any reason the above wouldn't work?

I have beans for fiber. If I was truly desperate for veggies there are many edible plants. Clover is a edible, for instance.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #408 on: November 11, 2020, 07:09:19 PM »
If you take a daily multivitamin and have powdered fiber mix like Metamucil . . . is there really any reason to eat vegetables/fruit?  Serious question.  I like fruit for the flavour (and vegetables for textural variety), but if you're in a real survival situation is there any reason the above wouldn't work?

I have beans for fiber. If I was truly desperate for veggies there are many edible plants. Clover is a edible, for instance.

I was doing a thought experiment for a long term survival scenario.

Oil lasts forever, protein powder (if vacuum sealed) seems to have a pretty long shelf life, there are plenty of shelf stable carbs.  Vegetables and fruit are a problem though . . . but if you could replace them with multivitamins and fiber then you could live a bland existence for an awful long time with minimal planning.  I don't see why it wouldn't provide you with the correct macro and micronutrients.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #409 on: November 11, 2020, 07:13:54 PM »

Oil lasts forever, protein powder (if vacuum sealed) seems to have a pretty long shelf life, there are plenty of shelf stable carbs.  Vegetables and fruit are a problem though . . . but if you could replace them with multivitamins and fiber then you could live a bland existence for an awful long time with minimal planning.  I don't see why it wouldn't provide you with the correct macro and micronutrients.

Sprouts are good for fresh vegetables. Dry seeds, add water, and you are set.  So are fermented foods.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #410 on: November 11, 2020, 07:18:25 PM »

I mean it would definitely help you evade deficiencies for a while. A valuable function.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #411 on: November 11, 2020, 07:26:04 PM »

Maybe it does. But I don't think scientists have really proven that. It's hard to test the effect of generally eating "real foods" vs sets of nutrients.

A lot of people assert that nutrients are metabolized better when they come as part of whole foods. The idea that the various nutrients are really all we need, and that we do process them well their usual food substrates (if you will) is a hypothesis that was trendy for a while. Then it was trendy to point to long lifespans of people who eat lots of vegetables and whole foods instead of food products and isolated nutrients, saying that that "proves" whole foods are better. One variant of this line of thought is that most traditional cuisines have excellent combinations for health, better than "macros plus micros" so to speak.

You call the play. Based on what's available, I guess.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 07:27:46 PM by BicycleB »

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #412 on: November 12, 2020, 03:25:12 AM »
For dehydrated mixed veg that are good in rice and soups, I buy them at a bulk food chain called Bulk Barn. They're dirt cheap.

For dehydrated shiitake mushrooms, which can be used in place of fresh mushrooms in any cooked recipe, I buy them in big packages in the Chinese / Asian section of Superstore my big supermarket, though they're also available at pretty much any Asian grocery store. FAR cheaper than fresh and have a very long shelf life. I generally use them in either rice dishes or to make lentil mushroom pate.

I ordered dehydrated vegetables, beans, and lentils from North Bay Trading earlier this year. The quality has been very good.

Sun Hat looks like Bulk Barn is a Canadian store only. I am here in USA.

OtherJen, That is ironic you sent that link for North Bay Trading! I bought their Christmas Lima Beans and some soup mixes back a while ago and kind of forgot about that company. I just made a Christmas Lima Bean cold salad the other day and it was really good. I have some Spicy Southwestern Soup I might just throw in the crockpot today.

I looked at the dehydrated veggies and the mushrooms look interesting but expensive. I guess a little goes a long way. What veggies do you buy from them and do you recommend anything in particular?

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #413 on: November 12, 2020, 05:42:45 AM »

Sun Hat looks like Bulk Barn is a Canadian store only. I am here in USA.

OtherJen, That is ironic you sent that link for North Bay Trading! I bought their Christmas Lima Beans and some soup mixes back a while ago and kind of forgot about that company. I just made a Christmas Lima Bean cold salad the other day and it was really good. I have some Spicy Southwestern Soup I might just throw in the crockpot today.

I looked at the dehydrated veggies and the mushrooms look interesting but expensive. I guess a little goes a long way. What veggies do you buy from them and do you recommend anything in particular?

I bought the air-dried mixed veggies. They seem a bit pricey, but I have celiac disease and can’t trust that the food in public bulk bins is safe for me (last time I went to one, I watched someone take a flour scoop and go into other bins with it). If you don’t have a food allergy, it would be worth checking out a local bulk food store.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #414 on: November 12, 2020, 06:02:29 AM »
So if anyone is interested in nutrient replacement powder just for stocking up, I recommend Huel.  I've had Huel once a day for chunks of the last year as a meal replacement and it hasn't hurt me (according to my bloodwork :) ).

They have flavors, but I prefer the unflavored and usually do a dropper or two of vanilla extract and some honey to make it lightly sweet. Stores for about 18 months unopened.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 07:35:37 AM by StarBright »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #415 on: November 12, 2020, 07:17:33 AM »

Oil lasts forever

Most vegetable oils will go rancid after 12-36 months. If you were to try living off of oil, protein powder, fiber supplements and multivitamins, you'd probably go a bit squirrely long before then though. Add some honey to your austere bunker plan so that you can taste something.

Hmm.  I didn't think of the oil going rancid.  It probably does happen at some point.  I'm 100% certain that oils remain perfectly fine to use well past the expiry date listed on the container though.  I've used olive oil more than a year after it 'expired' and it tasted fine.  Same with coconut oil, although it was closer to two years after the expiration date.  Still tasted fine.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #416 on: November 12, 2020, 07:21:13 AM »
I bought a frozen turkey breast last month, cuz I saw this coming, so I'm all set for Thanksgiving. I got cranberries last week in my Curbside Pickup order, too.

I'm going back to ordering the vegetable boxes from the co-op. They're a great deal. I bought several last spring and then didn't need to over the summer as I had quite a bit of garden produce over the summer, but I'm down to kale, spinach and peas at this point.

I like vegetables, and I'd rather do winter storage veg than live on vitamins and Metamucil.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #417 on: November 12, 2020, 07:30:45 AM »

Oil lasts forever

Most vegetable oils will go rancid after 12-36 months. If you were to try living off of oil, protein powder, fiber supplements and multivitamins, you'd probably go a bit squirrely long before then though. Add some honey to your austere bunker plan so that you can taste something.

Hmm.  I didn't think of the oil going rancid.  It probably does happen at some point.  I'm 100% certain that oils remain perfectly fine to use well past the expiry date listed on the container though.  I've used olive oil more than a year after it 'expired' and it tasted fine.  Same with coconut oil, although it was closer to two years after the expiration date.  Still tasted fine.
Storage in a cool, dark place helps.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #418 on: November 12, 2020, 07:57:21 AM »

Oil lasts forever

Instead of drinking oil, vitamins and metamucil, why not make pemmican?

"Pemmican was widely adopted as a high-energy food by Europeans involved in the fur trade and later by Arctic and Antarctic explorers, such as Captain Robert Bartlett, Ernest Shackleton, Richard E. Byrd, Fridtjof Nansen, Robert Falcon Scott, George W. DeLong and Roald Amundsen."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pemmican

Many recipes can be found on the internet. Lots of beef, fat and fruits.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #419 on: November 12, 2020, 08:50:10 AM »

Oil lasts forever

Instead of drinking oil, vitamins and metamucil, why not make pemmican?

"Pemmican was widely adopted as a high-energy food by Europeans involved in the fur trade and later by Arctic and Antarctic explorers, such as Captain Robert Bartlett, Ernest Shackleton, Richard E. Byrd, Fridtjof Nansen, Robert Falcon Scott, George W. DeLong and Roald Amundsen."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pemmican

Many recipes can be found on the internet. Lots of beef, fat and fruits.

I grew up in a small northern community next to a rez.  I've got plenty of experience with pemmican in my life . . . which leads me to believe that drinking oil and vitamins with metamuscil will be about as tasty for less work.  :P

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #420 on: November 12, 2020, 02:40:47 PM »
One of my local grocery stores has turkeys on sale for $0.49 cents a lb. I think there is a limit of 2 turkeys and in the past you had to buy some kind of a dollar amount minus the turkey to get it for that price. They do this every year and last year it was $0.39 a lb. I can't resist!

« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 08:27:16 AM by Roadrunner53 »

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #421 on: November 13, 2020, 07:45:26 AM »
I'm always disappointed - turkeys never go on clearance here!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #422 on: November 13, 2020, 07:49:12 AM »
We buy cheap turkeys after every major holiday that people eat them.  Super versatile food.  It gets made into:

- White turkey chili
- Butter turkey (like butter chicken)
- Turkey stew
- Turkey curry
- Pulled turkey sandwiches (like pulled pork)
- Turkey barley soup
- Turkey pot pie

I mean, you can also just make a traditional turkey, which is fine . . . but there are so many other ways to eat it.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #423 on: November 13, 2020, 07:50:19 AM »
mmmm-butter turkey.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #424 on: November 13, 2020, 08:49:40 AM »

Oil lasts forever

I have frozen coconut oil with good results. Never tried freezing any other types of oil.

Runrooster

• Bristles
« Reply #425 on: November 13, 2020, 09:05:57 AM »
My grocery store put canned beans and tomatoes on sale for $.34 each for the third time in 2 months, no limit this time.
I already have maybe 30 cans beans plus 12 tomatoes, so my Mom will have a fit if I buy more.
I also stocked up on eggs, remembering the previous shortage.  So they loss leader-ed those as well.

I talked to my supervisors at the tax job, and they said they expect the season to start on time. Our January clients are heavy on EIC, and they'll need the money this year even more.
They usually buy my dinner plus snacks so we have too much (junk) food in tax season.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #426 on: November 13, 2020, 10:35:26 AM »
Not sure if I am frugal or foolish but I just bought another freezer. This one is smaller than the big one I have in the garage. It is 15.5 CF self defrosting. My big freezer is full up but I replace what I use up so there is never any extra space. I like to buy some extra turkeys when they are on sale and rib roasts, plus other things. My intent is not to fill the new freezer up but to use it for bargains and seasonal purchases. The other one I can't fit a sheet of paper in it!

I have been fighting the urge to buy a freezer for months thinking eventually my freezer would whittle down but that never happened! My Hub keeps it pretty ship shape and rotates the inventory so we are not tossing anything out due to old age.

I was totally shocked that delivery is tomorrow and free! However, I ordered it on line and automatically it added $49.80 delivery charges. The flyer I had said free local delivery. I live about 15 miles away from the store so wasn't sure if I was in their local delivery area. After I place the order I called them. Sure enough, the lady blamed a computer glitch...I wonder...and removed the shipping charge. So if any of you order an appliance on line and you believe you should get free shipping, call to find out why you are being charged.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #427 on: November 13, 2020, 11:05:11 AM »
I grew up in a small northern community next to a rez.  I've got plenty of experience with pemmican in my life . . . which leads me to believe that drinking oil and vitamins with metamuscil will be about as tasty for less work.  :P

Metamucil has all sorts of garbage mixed into it. Just get some plain psyllium husk.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #428 on: November 13, 2020, 11:30:08 AM »
We used to have an extra freezer. Now the in laws have it.  I bought a 60" wide refrigerator/freezer combo.  It works really well (when it works, but that is a different story).  We also have a beverage center for drinks. 

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #429 on: November 13, 2020, 12:26:03 PM »
We used to have an extra freezer. Now the in laws have it.  I bought a 60" wide refrigerator/freezer combo.  It works really well (when it works, but that is a different story).  We also have a beverage center for drinks.

I worked for a large food company for many years and we had walk in freezers and refrigerators galore. They were huge and I would die to have even a small version of a walk in refrigerator/freezer. I envy your 60" wide too! Is it a built in?

My Hub and I cook a lot and I keep a lot of food on hand even before the pandemic. Now, that we are trying stay home I have really added to the coffers. Almost to the point of no return!

I have to slow down on the purchasing. But I do feel good I have full freezers, refrigerators and cabinets full of food. Even my dog is all set!

What is your beverage center like? Not familiar with that.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #430 on: November 13, 2020, 01:09:33 PM »

I worked for a large food company for many years and we had walk in freezers and refrigerators galore. They were huge and I would die to have even a small version of a walk in refrigerator/freezer. I envy your 60" wide too! Is it a built in?

It's a whirlpool - not built in, but looks it. One side is a 30" refrigerator, one side is a 30" freezer.  There is a fake grill kit that goes around it and makes it look built in. The refrigerator sprung a refrigerant leak at the 1 year and 2 month mark. It's been off and on for awhile.  I "think" they finally found the leak and fixed it.  Not what you want during COVID. The "Whirpool" emblems on the front come off with a bit of sticker remover, so everyone thinks it's some super fancy thing.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=h7L6eXUz&id=4173F16E984AA751D4112F925DD98B04FF198927&thid=OIP.h7L6eXUzb-QoY4jMaF64VgHaHa&mediaurl=https%3a%2f%2fs-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com%2foriginals%2f5a%2f35%2f10%2f5a3510d309e123c78dbec0777c2ddd89.jpg&exph=800&expw=800&q=whirlpool+sidekicks&simid=608030351453130036&ck=2F86A26C1DD660C7EEE9F45E6565777B&selectedIndex=45&FORM=IRPRST&ajaxhist=0
The beverage center is a fridge that goes under the counter.
https://www.compactappliance.com/avallon-beverage-coolers-beverage-appliances/ABR241GLH.html?source=msn-pa_ABR241SGLH!c53672146!a4729119540!kavalon%20beverage%20center%20images!me!dc!no&source=msn_!c53672146!a4729119540!kavalon%20beverage%20center%20images!me!dc!no!f&cvosrc=pla.bing.ABR241SGLH&cvosrc=ppc.bing.avalon%20beverage%20center%20images&cvo_cid=53672146&cvo_cid=53672146&cvo_crid=11479484405&cvo_crid=11479484405&cvo_adgroup=4729119540&cvo_adgroup=4729119540&matchtype=e&cvo_uniqueid=ABR241SGLH&utm_source=pla&utm_source=ppc&utm_medium=bing&utm_medium=bing&utm_term=ABR241SGLH&utm_term=avalon%20beverage%20center%20images&gclid=385e4fc6103f1bea9da01068f74b4582&gclsrc=3p.ds&k_clickid=_kenshoo_clickid_&msclkid=385e4fc6103f1bea9da01068f74b4582
When the big fridge broke, we made do with the little fridge and ice filled water bottles in the big fridge for items that didn't need perfect refrigeration (veggies and cans)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 01:11:20 PM by couponvan »

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #431 on: November 13, 2020, 02:16:08 PM »
Here we go again, grocery shopping the day after big statewide COVID press conferences. Aldi wasn't too poorly stocked this afternoon, but they were definitely running low on some things and are probably sold out of paper towels by now. The store wasn't as chaotic as it was on March 13 (the day after the statewide school shutdown announcement), but it was way more crowded than it was two weeks ago.

I grabbed canned pumpkin and fresh cranberries so I can at least make some proper Thanksgiving food in case those sell out.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #432 on: November 13, 2020, 02:24:22 PM »

It's a whirlpool - not built in, but looks it. One side is a 30" refrigerator, one side is a 30" freezer.  There is a fake grill kit that goes around it and makes it look built in. The refrigerator sprung a refrigerant leak at the 1 year and 2 month mark. It's been off and on for awhile.  I "think" they finally found the leak and fixed it.  Not what you want during COVID. The "Whirpool" emblems on the front come off with a bit of sticker remover, so everyone thinks it's some super fancy thing.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=h7L6eXUz&id=4173F16E984AA751D4112F925DD98B04FF198927&thid=OIP.h7L6eXUzb-QoY4jMaF64VgHaHa&mediaurl=https%3a%2f%2fs-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com%2foriginals%2f5a%2f35%2f10%2f5a3510d309e123c78dbec0777c2ddd89.jpg&exph=800&expw=800&q=whirlpool+sidekicks&simid=608030351453130036&ck=2F86A26C1DD660C7EEE9F45E6565777B&selectedIndex=45&FORM=IRPRST&ajaxhist=0
https://www.compactappliance.com/avallon-beverage-coolers-beverage-appliances/ABR241GLH.html?source=msn-pa_ABR241SGLH!c53672146!a4729119540!kavalon%20beverage%20center%20images!me!dc!no&source=msn_!c53672146!a4729119540!kavalon%20beverage%20center%20images!me!dc!no!f&cvosrc=pla.bing.ABR241SGLH&cvosrc=ppc.bing.avalon%20beverage%20center%20images&cvo_cid=53672146&cvo_cid=53672146&cvo_crid=11479484405&cvo_crid=11479484405&cvo_adgroup=4729119540&cvo_adgroup=4729119540&matchtype=e&cvo_uniqueid=ABR241SGLH&utm_source=pla&utm_source=ppc&utm_medium=bing&utm_medium=bing&utm_term=ABR241SGLH&utm_term=avalon%20beverage%20center%20images&gclid=385e4fc6103f1bea9da01068f74b4582&gclsrc=3p.ds&k_clickid=_kenshoo_clickid_&msclkid=385e4fc6103f1bea9da01068f74b4582
When the big fridge broke, we made do with the little fridge and ice filled water bottles in the big fridge for items that didn't need perfect refrigeration (veggies and cans)

OMG, I LOVE the refrig/freezer! Gorgeous! I am jealous! I would need a new kitchen to fit that! My next life...

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #433 on: November 13, 2020, 02:27:56 PM »

OMG, I LOVE the refrig/freezer! Gorgeous! I am jealous! I would need a new kitchen to fit that! My next life...
It's not mustachian, but yes, it required a new kitchen to fit it.  Appliances are cheaper than cabinets....hence we have two dishwashers as well. LOL.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #434 on: November 13, 2020, 02:28:47 PM »
Here we go again, grocery shopping the day after big statewide COVID press conferences. Aldi wasn't too poorly stocked this afternoon, but they were definitely running low on some things and are probably sold out of paper towels by now. The store wasn't as chaotic as it was on March 13 (the day after the statewide school shutdown announcement), but it was way more crowded than it was two weeks ago.

I grabbed canned pumpkin and fresh cranberries so I can at least make some proper Thanksgiving food in case those sell out.

We live in the same corner of the world. I feel like panic shopping in NW OH and SE MI is like a badge of honor? I was blown away the first time we had a snowstorm. The pandemic has topped that and then some. All my friends are sending me pictures of empty shelves. And I'm sort of like, how did y'all run out of TP since the last round of stocking up?!

We have been using Kroger pick up since March and I'm pretty pleased with. We did stop buying our meat there because it was too hit or miss with curbside. We've been buying meat from a local butcher with curbside pick up and that has worked nicely.

Good idea to buy the thanksgiving stuff though!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #435 on: November 13, 2020, 04:01:21 PM »
Our pantry and closets are so stuffed that I'd feel bad stocking up more...if I do, I totally will have to hide it from my husband, ha!  He just reorganized everything...

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #436 on: November 13, 2020, 04:16:52 PM »
We bought 30lbs of TVP because why not

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #437 on: November 13, 2020, 04:19:04 PM »
What's TVP?

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #438 on: November 13, 2020, 04:28:04 PM »
Textured vegetable protein

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #439 on: November 13, 2020, 04:57:04 PM »
Our pantry and closets are so stuffed that I'd feel bad stocking up more...if I do, I totally will have to hide it from my husband, ha!  He just reorganized everything...

I have stocked up to the moon and have got to stop. I think I am part squirrel gathering nuts for the harsh winter to come!

MudPuppy how do you use your TVP? I bought some a long time ago and never used it and then threw it out. I know it has the texture of ground meat. Do you put it into anything that calls for ground hamburger meat?

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #440 on: November 13, 2020, 05:02:38 PM »
I bought some ground beef type and some grilled chicken slices type.

The ground beef type I use in shepherds pie, chili, Bulgogi wraps, tacos, added to spaghetti sauce, sloppy joes, stuffed cabbage rolls, cheeseburger macaroni...

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #441 on: November 14, 2020, 06:36:29 AM »
I’ve never tried cooking with TVP, but you all have piqued my interest. It would be nice to cut back further on the amount of ground meat I several favorite dishes, and husband is increasingly willing to reduce meat or go meatless for some meals (last night, we got take-out from the local vegan burger joint at his request).

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #442 on: November 14, 2020, 06:40:07 AM »
I use mine in a similar way. The trick is to adjust your recipes to add the umami that meat would normally contribute. My mom will use 3/4 TVP and 1/4 ground beef in recipes to ensure that it still has a "beefy" flavour. I just add spices.

I'm not sure what the recommended shelf life is for TVP, but I'm sure that I've used 10 year old TVP that I had left in my mom's cupboard before moving out, and it was as perfectly good.

I am also not really vegetarian, so I add a bit of better than bouillon to it when I rehydrate.  Shelf life on an unopened container is 20 years if I recall correctly. Long shelf life is why I bought it. I don’t have a place for a deep freeze, but I do have underbed storage in the guest room.

coppertop

• Bristles
« Reply #443 on: November 14, 2020, 08:38:38 AM »
Where did you all buy your TVP?  Local stores don't carry it any more, and I did order 1/2 lb. on Amazon but believe I paid too much for it. 

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #445 on: November 14, 2020, 08:53:47 AM »
My new freezer arrived about half an hour ago! It is so nice! 15.5 CF! Tomorrow I will get my 49 cent per lb. turkeys and stow them away in the new freezer! YIPPIE!

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #446 on: November 14, 2020, 09:55:19 AM »
My new freezer arrived about half an hour ago! It is so nice! 15.5 CF! Tomorrow I will get my 49 cent per lb. turkeys and stow them away in the new freezer! YIPPIE!

You probably got the last one on the planet!

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #447 on: November 14, 2020, 10:46:59 AM »
I got it thru PC Richards. It is a Frigidaire and it seems to be a popular model at many stores but I did have a hard time finding it in my area. Sears wanted $75 to deliver and PC Richards delivered for free and in two days time! Was a perfect purchase. They called several times to let me know delivery window. The deliver guy called twice this morning to give me a heads up on delivery time. One of the best purchasing experiences in a long, long time! Price was right, painless shopping and quick delivery.

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #448 on: November 14, 2020, 11:34:32 AM »
I hope I'm not making a mistake, but I'm resisting stocking up like I did in March. I topped up are meat, rice, and paper towels (and mostly I use paper towels for patting dry meat), but I'm not buying canned goods or other dry staples. I'd like to add more chicken breast and a nice roast for Christmas, but right now I don't have room. Also, the pandemic has taught me how little canned food my family will tolerate. Canned tomatoes are fine (but I can't base meals on the because I'm allergic to tomatoes). Canned beans get a pass in chili or salads, but not by themselves (I already knew this one). Canned pineapple and peaches are fine, as is jarred applesauce. They'd rather not eat vegetables if they come from a can -- even corn. Jarred salsa is fine.

We decided against taking an upright freezer in August. We also emptied our garage fridge/freezer, so all we have out there now is the 8.7 cubic foot manual defrost chest freezer. We still have the refrigerator, so I suppose we could plug it back in and use it.

I saw turkeys at the regional chain earlier this week, but it wasn't a full display like it usually would be. Last time I went to Aldi was more than a month ago (10/10) and I was surprised to see they already had turkeys and hams. We don't want a turkey or ham, so no big deal. I honestly have no idea what I'll be cooking for Thanksgiving. I'm honestly thinking maybe we'll make pizza or tacos.

Channel-Z

• Stubble
« Reply #449 on: November 14, 2020, 06:32:26 PM »
Friday morning was busier than usual, but it could also be people buying Thanksgiving-related items. The only re-hoarding I've seen is the paper goods, such as the paper towels, the toilet paper.