Author Topic: Pandemic hoarding  (Read 262192 times)

merlin7676

• Stubble
Re: Pandemic hoarding
« Reply #150 on: August 03, 2020, 12:56:37 PM »
We're not doing a sky is falling stockpile, but we are getting extra stuff with our normal grocery shopping. Everytime we go, we grab a few here and there of canned soups and veggies, a few boxes of pasta and sauce, bags of beans, boxes of mac and cheese, bag of rice etc. Best to be safe rather than sorry and if we don't end up "needing" it this fall/winter, then we will have less grocery shopping to do.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #151 on: August 03, 2020, 01:44:05 PM »

I just bought some rice (10 one pound bags) and we are not big rice eaters. I buy it, put in some bay leaves to help keep bugs out and then vac seal them.

I bought two 5-gallon plastic bottles that are used for water coolers.

One is for rice and the other for beans.

They  are  "weevilproof."

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #152 on: August 03, 2020, 01:50:11 PM »
My grandparents lived in Kentucky and they always had soup beans, whatever that is! I have never had them, don't know how to cook them either! I was told my grandpa would demand his beans every single day! By the way, he lived to be 113 years old! Maybe there is something to the beans! Grandma lived to age 91!
I had to google it and I would definitely eat soup beans. Sounds sooo good. Looks like pinto beans are the tradtional bean but it can also be made with lima/butter beans. This salad is also really good.

We do a version of soup beans regularly. I like some sort of pork, onions, garlic, pepper, cumin, and chili powder in it. We eat ours over rice or with corn tortillas/chips with cheese and salsa.

I like my homemade bean soup, pea soup, and lentil soup.

Sometimes I have the bean soup w/ rice.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 01:53:15 PM by John Galt incarnate! »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #153 on: August 03, 2020, 01:54:21 PM »

I just bought some rice (10 one pound bags) and we are not big rice eaters. I buy it, put in some bay leaves to help keep bugs out and then vac seal them.

There were two pirates on a ship, the rest of the crew had starved away when supplies had run out.  In frustration one of them opened the grain barrel and stared at the two bugs running around the bottom in the dust.

"Aha!" Says one pirate, looking pleased with himself, "I'll eat the smaller bug!"

"Why does that please you so much?", says the other pirate.

"'Tis the lesser of two weevils!"

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #154 on: August 03, 2020, 01:55:30 PM »

There were two pirates on a ship, the rest of the crew had starved away when supplies had run out.  In frustration one of them opened the grain barrel and stared at the two bugs running around the bottom in the dust.

"Aha!" Says one pirate, looking pleased with himself, "I'll eat the smaller bug!"

"Why does that please you so much?", says the other pirate.

"'Tis the lesser of two weevils!"

Ha ha!

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #155 on: August 03, 2020, 01:59:10 PM »
Don't let your dried peas stay in storage for too long.

If you do no matter how long you boil them they will stay mostly hard and have an awful, bitter taste.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #156 on: August 05, 2020, 04:56:17 AM »
I went to two big box stores yesterday (yikes) and I noticed that the shelves that are usually full are noticeably less full, esp. in housewares where I was shopping.  Also, cleaning items, of course.  I am trying to think -- do we need anything?  Are we missing anything?  But we are really not.  And there are good alternative places to shop -- the hardware store, online stores, secondhand -- I don't think things will be scarce soon, but it was a little different from what we have grown used to.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #157 on: August 06, 2020, 02:02:02 PM »

The weevils are already in the beans and rice, my friend. They don't come in from outside so much as....... hatch.....
Stick your rice and beans in the freezer for a week before storing.

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #158 on: August 06, 2020, 02:14:38 PM »

The weevils are already in the beans and rice, my friend. They don't come in from outside so much as....... hatch.....

Ugh...I *knew* this, but liked to pretend that it's not true, because I don't like thinking about it too much....good reminder to stick things into the freezer for a while.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #159 on: August 06, 2020, 02:18:09 PM »

Ugh...I *knew* this, but liked to pretend that it's not true, because I don't like thinking about it too much....good reminder to stick things into the freezer for a while.

reminds me... we moved several months ago and our large flour countained (with several lbs of flour still inside) got packed into a box and put into storage and moved 3x until we were able to unpack it about 6 months later.  Less flour but lots more meal-worms inside...

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #160 on: August 06, 2020, 03:09:47 PM »
Some people swear bay leaves work for weevils but vac packing removes oxygen so if they should hatch they won't have oxygen. Freezing is supposed to be the best solution to kill them. However, I have no room in my freezer!

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #161 on: August 06, 2020, 06:14:09 PM »

If you do no matter how long you boil them they will stay mostly hard and have an awful, bitter taste.

How long is too long?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #162 on: August 06, 2020, 06:32:30 PM »

How long is too long?

You'll know when you boil them and they stay mostly hard.  :P

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #163 on: August 06, 2020, 06:50:42 PM »

It's a good sign. It means your produce was grown with a minimum of pesticide, and hasn't been irradiated. Good products come with good little critters.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #164 on: August 06, 2020, 07:13:56 PM »

It's a good sign. It means your produce was grown with a minimum of pesticide, and hasn't been irradiated. Good products come with good little critters.

Eggs = invisible extra protein
Larvae = not so invisible ick factor protein

Freezing is even more important if you are saving seeds for planting.  They just need to be REALLY dry first.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #165 on: August 09, 2020, 08:39:46 PM »
We’re not hoarding.  I like to think of it as “cultivating.”  Haha.  I like having a variety of foods on hand so we can experiment at home and try new recipes.  After all, cooking nice meals and sitting down to enjoy them helps pass the time.  We live in a condo, without a deep freeze, so most of our extra provisions are shelf stable.  But I do keep our freezer full of fish, chicken, seafood, pork and beef.  Right now our garden is producing heavily too.  In a couple of weeks I will start canning.

We live in a university town.  Students are just returning now, and I anticipate a very rough fall with COVID on top of the seasonal flu.  Like, maybe like March all over again.  From April-August when classes went online and most students went home things were more manageable.  But  I expect things to start closing down again.  (As I type this I can hear a loud house party down the block.  Our state has no mask mandate, and the university has no way to require tests of students in off campus housing.) I also anticipate more food chain disruptions.  I feel like my trips to the store should be minimal.  I miss the relaxed enjoyment of it, and it’s so stressful that I want to avoid it.  My husband also has an underlying condition so we try to go during the hour reserved for vulnerable people.

Every ten days or so I do a Walmart pick up order.  This helps me keep other household items on hand and avoid the store.  Every 5-6 weeks we go to Costco to stock up. 

I’ve also been clearing my shelves of things I don’t need and sending them to the food pantry.  There are lots of people barely hanging on right now.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #166 on: August 09, 2020, 09:21:56 PM »
Some people swear bay leaves work for weevils but vac packing removes oxygen so if they should hatch they won't have oxygen. Freezing is supposed to be the best solution to kill them. However, I have no room in my freezer!
I hear you on this. My solution is to make room. Not kidding. You don't have to keep it in the freezer forever, just long enough to kill off any possible vermin. I usually pop a 5# bag or container in the freezer for a week, then move it to the pantry, then stick in another one. Repeat. As I understand, once they've been frozen, they're pretty safe. Well, except, be sure to use airtight containers so new vermin can't move in once it's in your pantry. You could do the same with a pound or two at a time. Pour it into a zip bag if you need to smush it in to some random cranny. I have a vacuum sealer but rarely use it because the bags are so expensive + more plastic waste.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #167 on: August 10, 2020, 08:19:13 AM »
….
I’ve also been clearing my shelves of things I don’t need and sending them to the food pantry.  There are lots of people barely hanging on right now.

Same here, Trudie.  My project today is to clear out my hall pantry and find items to donate.  A local church that gives out food boxes has been running low, so this Saturday they've asked for donations of canned goods and also "shelf stable milk." 
That last one brought back memories of my mom buying dried milk and preparing it for us - it didn't taste the best but it's better than nothing.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #168 on: August 10, 2020, 12:16:10 PM »
I hear you on this. My solution is to make room. Not kidding. You don't have to keep it in the freezer forever, just long enough to kill off any possible vermin. I usually pop a 5# bag or container in the freezer for a week, then move it to the pantry, then stick in another one. Repeat. As I understand, once they've been frozen, they're pretty safe. Well, except, be sure to use airtight containers so new vermin can't move in once it's in your pantry. You could do the same with a pound or two at a time. Pour it into a zip bag if you need to smush it in to some random cranny. I have a vacuum sealer but rarely use it because the bags are so expensive + more plastic waste.

OK, I am now headed over to stick 20 lbs of flour into the chest freezer. Back in a few, 'Kay?

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #169 on: August 11, 2020, 09:16:46 PM »
Aggggh. We lost power for a week because of Tropical Storm Isaias.  As reported earlier, I have 2 fridges and a chest freezer (just stocked up the new fridge). I just can't.

adamR18

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #170 on: August 12, 2020, 12:36:05 AM »
This week, when I made my normal run to the discount grocery (Save-a-Lot), they were out of paper towels. AGAIN. This is the second week they haven't had them, after it seemed the supply chain had been fixed through June and July.

So I decided... I am privileged enough to have plenty of money in the bank... enough to stock up a big pantry so that I don't encounter these random shortages anymore. So off to Sams Club I went... only bought non-perishable food products that I would normally eat, and of course the paper products that have been so hard to come by... and now I feel pretty secure that I can eat for a month or so in the event of a quarantine. Also got it all organized and have decided to implement a first in/first out system, replacing all of those items individually as I use them up. Everything in the pantry is now organized in order of expiration date.

This is so different from my previous shopping habit, where I would go to the store on Sunday with a meal plan/list, not buy anything extra, and had a completely empty pantry by Saturday night. (I don't do any fancy cooking.)

It feels prudent to be prepared... and I don't consider it hoarding, as it all fit in my pantry/cabinets. No one would walk in and think I have an excess of items.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #171 on: August 12, 2020, 02:07:25 AM »
This week, when I made my normal run to the discount grocery (Save-a-Lot), they were out of paper towels. AGAIN. This is the second week they haven't had them, after it seemed the supply chain had been fixed through June and July.

So I decided... I am privileged enough to have plenty of money in the bank... enough to stock up a big pantry so that I don't encounter these random shortages anymore. So off to Sams Club I went... only bought non-perishable food products that I would normally eat, and of course the paper products that have been so hard to come by... and now I feel pretty secure that I can eat for a month or so in the event of a quarantine. Also got it all organized and have decided to implement a first in/first out system, replacing all of those items individually as I use them up. Everything in the pantry is now organized in order of expiration date.

This is so different from my previous shopping habit, where I would go to the store on Sunday with a meal plan/list, not buy anything extra, and had a completely empty pantry by Saturday night. (I don't do any fancy cooking.)

It feels prudent to be prepared... and I don't consider it hoarding, as it all fit in my pantry/cabinets. No one would walk in and think I have an excess of items.

The store cupboard approach is a good one, imo. Not only does it let you not notice any supply chain blips, but you'll also find you pay a lower cost per unit if you buy bulk on good specials.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #172 on: August 12, 2020, 06:58:17 AM »
Another relevant article from the always-interesting Johnny S.

https://granolashotgun.com/2020/08/10/lazaretto-dining/

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #173 on: August 12, 2020, 10:48:23 AM »
Aggggh. We lost power for a week because of Tropical Storm Isaias.  As reported earlier, I have 2 fridges and a chest freezer (just stocked up the new fridge). I just can't.
This utterly blows.  I'm so sorry.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #174 on: August 12, 2020, 10:48:59 AM »
There was an interesting WSJ article in the last week or so that tracked availability of various grocery categories and it’s not just my imagination. There is still less product coming in and more product going out.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #175 on: August 12, 2020, 11:03:10 AM »

This is the one thing pushing us towards buying a small backup generator. 
I can (and have) gone several days without power.  We have a backup heat source should things fail in the winter.  But an extended blackout of just a few days in the summer could cost us several hundred $ in wasted food.

I'm constantly weighing the probability of that happening with the cost of a used generator (roughly $500 from what I've seen).

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #176 on: August 12, 2020, 11:48:15 AM »

I can (and have) gone several days without power.  We have a backup heat source should things fail in the winter.  But an extended blackout of just a few days in the summer could cost us several hundred $ in wasted food.

I'm constantly weighing the probability of that happening with the cost of a used generator (roughly $500 from what I've seen).

Back up generators are a good idea. Especially for those of us who lived through the 1998 ice storm.  I had one at last-house.  My neighbours had propane heating and installed a Back up generator that was permanently wired to the house.  If there was a power failure it came on automatically.  It also came on for 10 minutes once a week, just to keep everything running and catch any issues.  I also had a backup sump pump on a battery backup.  Very reassuring to hear the sump pump run during a power failure, no flooded basement.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 01:16:06 PM by RetiredAt63 »

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #177 on: August 12, 2020, 12:02:45 PM »
Isaias knocked our power out for only 7 hours but I was so thankful for our generator. Our freezers/refrigerators kept humming, we watched tv, had ac and slept with ac on in the bedroom. Decadent when others were out of power for a week but we have had the generator since before the year 2000 when they predicted that everything was going to go haywire and didn't. It is a very loud gas generator and now we are bouncing around the idea of getting a permanent generator that auto switches when power goes out. I suppose it might be a good selling point for a house to have a permanent generator in line.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #178 on: August 12, 2020, 02:04:58 PM »

Same... every time the power goes out, I think "I must buy a generator, but not now because they are out of stock/too expensive". Then I forget, like everyone else.

It would make sense for us to buy one, since we lose power like this every other year. I hate how polluting the generators are, though.

Thanks for the sympathy, @mm1970. I don't even know how much I lost because I was afraid to look (then went out of town). Now that we finally have power back, it's all refrozen too. But probably more than $500 worth of food, since I usually blow about $400/Costco run... and more than that in time, since there were a lot of precooked meals that I had made.  Not the greatest week!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #179 on: August 12, 2020, 06:26:17 PM »
Not a substitute for a back-up generator, but an effective stopgap is to create and keep blocks of ice in the freezer as a matter of course. I like quart milk cartons with screw caps for small spaces and warehouse size plastic containers (salsa, popcorn) where there is more room. They will buy you a few hours, more if you don't open the freezer. Pro Tip: if you use large containers, choose heavy plastic and don't overfill or they will crack.

I use the quart milk jugs to grocery shop. I toss them in a cooler and carry insulated bags. Once I shop, I pop a couple milk jugs on the bottom, then fill the insulated bags. That way I can batch errands without worry. Once home, they go right back in the freezer. They cost me nothing and work all the time.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #180 on: August 12, 2020, 07:39:32 PM »
Not a substitute for a back-up generator, but an effective stopgap is to create and keep blocks of ice in the freezer as a matter of course. I like quart milk cartons with screw caps for small spaces and warehouse size plastic containers (salsa, popcorn) where there is more room. They will buy you a few hours, more if you don't open the freezer. Pro Tip: if you use large containers, choose heavy plastic and don't overfill or they will crack.

I use the quart milk jugs to grocery shop. I toss them in a cooler and carry insulated bags. Once I shop, I pop a couple milk jugs on the bottom, then fill the insulated bags. That way I can batch errands without worry. Once home, they go right back in the freezer. They cost me nothing and work all the time.

Another good alternative to milk jugs is the 2 liter soda bottles... these are super rare to crack and the cap/lid screws on really tight so no leakage.  I've had problems with spiling/cracking on the milk jugs.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #181 on: August 12, 2020, 08:36:11 PM »
I live in the Midwest and we were just in the path of a derecho ( inland hurricane).  We lost power for 31 hours, but some people may lose it for a week.  We were pretty well prepared, but it shifted my mindset...I’m definitely going to stay stocked this fall going into winter.  I will never be without matches, candles, excess dry goods...

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #182 on: August 13, 2020, 05:02:45 AM »
I live in the Midwest and we were just in the path of a derecho ( inland hurricane).  We lost power for 31 hours, but some people may lose it for a week.  We were pretty well prepared, but it shifted my mindset...I’m definitely going to stay stocked this fall going into winter.  I will never be without matches, candles, excess dry goods...

Emergency candle are stinky, my emergency candles are the pretty ones in jars, bought on sale.   Smell nice, very stable and safe, burn for a long time.  Matches are always near candles.

You have a manual can opener, of course.  I have 2, no electric can opener. Using a manual can opener is strength training for my hands.  ;-)

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #183 on: August 13, 2020, 05:21:16 AM »

Oh, wow. That was a bad storm. I was watching it on radar to see if we would get clipped (we didn’t). Glad you’re okay!

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #184 on: August 13, 2020, 07:50:28 AM »
I have quite a stockpile of food, TP, paper towels I have accumulated over the last 5 months but I am afraid I am forgetting something. I have some medicines, Mucinex liquid for chest congestion, some Coricidin HP cold medicine, Nyquil, Pepto Bismol, rubbing alcohol, aspirin, peroxide, Betadine, bandages. We have batteries. I don't really have candles. I am not a fan of them due to fire hazard. I need to get some kind of battery lanterns. I don't have matches but do have grill lighters.

Anyone have suggestions on stocking up on items?

OMG, one thing I did stock up on was a couple of one lb. canned hams. I made a soup and cut up one ham in chunks to put in the soup. It was disgusting! Like blubber. The texture was disgusting! GAG ME! Glad I only bought two of them. Maybe I can cut the other one up and cook on the grill till it is dry. Or feed it to my dogs but it is probably too salty. What happened to canned hams? My Mom used to bake them in the oven and they were good years and years ago!

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #185 on: August 13, 2020, 08:12:04 AM »
I have quite a stockpile of food, TP, paper towels I have accumulated over the last 5 months but I am afraid I am forgetting something. I have some medicines, Mucinex liquid for chest congestion, some Coricidin HP cold medicine, Nyquil, Pepto Bismol, rubbing alcohol, aspirin, peroxide, Betadine, bandages. We have batteries. I don't really have candles. I am not a fan of them due to fire hazard. I need to get some kind of battery lanterns. I don't have matches but do have grill lighters.

Anyone have suggestions on stocking up on items?

for battery-powered lanterns there's a ton of LED options now that are fantastic.  I wish they were available when I was a teenager.  We've got a couple of BlackDiamond Moji.... very small, light, and bright enough to read by or illuminate a dinner table. It has its own clip which comes in useful for hanging (e.g. we've clipped it to our light fixture above our kitchen table during blackouts). 13 hours run time on High, 70 hours on low.  We store fresh batteries taped to the side of each lantern (not IN the lantern, which can lead to leaks/destruction if left too long).
There are tons of other great options in the 'compact LED lantern' segment now.
LED headlamps are also preferable to hand-held flashlights.

My other suggestion would be to consider how you might cook your food.  An exterior gas grill can work great, and/or a camping stove -- just make sure you have extra fuel. We also have a propane kitchen stove, so no worries there.  If all your appliances are electric you'll want a cooking surface.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #187 on: August 13, 2020, 08:57:49 AM »
Is this the lantern? https://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond-Color-Lantern-White/dp/B076KRS947/ref=asc_df_B076KRS947/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=&hvpos=&hvnetw=o&hvrand=&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583863979994220&psc=1
]

That's the one.  It's about the size of a baseball and about half the weight.  it won't "light up the whole room" but will give you enough light to eat at the table or go to the bathroom or read in bed.  We take them camping and a single set of batteries will last us all week with moderate use.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #188 on: August 13, 2020, 10:27:40 AM »
For the freezer/ fridge...I got these freezer gel ice packs once in a package.  They are great, and similar to ones that my stepdad gets with his insulin.  They last forever.  All of those have since cracked and broken, but I found some similar ones on line with Amazon.  They really do work.  We camped in the desert once and they stayed solid for a few days, at least.

This brand is what we have.  So we always have them in the spare freezer.  When our fridge died a year ago, they were super handy.  We were without for a few days.

https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Shock-Freeze-Packs-Screw/dp/B0773FVRZY/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=cooler+shock+ice+packs&qid=1597336005&s=hpc&sr=1-4-catcorr

penguintroopers

• Bristles
« Reply #189 on: August 13, 2020, 10:57:54 AM »
If you need freezer ice bags just ask a friend that gets a meal/produce delivery box. They have a bunch.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #190 on: August 13, 2020, 12:14:51 PM »
I spent some time last spring making a spreadsheet of what I wanted to have in stock by September, so I’ve been working on that a little at a time this summer. I’m going to defrost the freezer this weekend and then go to Sams next week.

If your power goes out, your solar yard lights can come in the house.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #191 on: August 14, 2020, 12:06:28 PM »
Thanks for all the product stock up tips.  We weren’t caught flat-footed and had enough supplies on hand, but I went to a thrift store this week and bought some cheap bags of random tea candles and stuff.  I definitely need to get an LED lantern and more batteries.

We live in a condo in a 90 year old renovated school.  Our brick walls and Pella Windows stood like a mighty fortress.  I was really proud of the old gal.  We live on the west side of the building and it was coming from that direction, straight at us.  Trees, debris, and lawn furniture were strewn about.

The thing about the derecho was that we had no warning it was coming, until it was right on us.  Our phones didn’t send out messages from the NWS.  Thankfully, local emergency management started sounding the sirens and we went to our basement.  Most of us had never heard the term “derecho” until this week.

Anyway, we don’t have a lot of storage in our freezer, but we’re fortunate that power was restored and the contents of our freezer were saved.  This has definitely changed my view on preparedness.  It was comforting to know that we have a full stash of provisions in our dry, organized storage downstairs. 

We’ve seen so much this last six months that has caused disruptions in food supplies and food chains.  Everything from shut downs in meat processing, to E. coli tainted food, to store shut downs due to weather.  I am definitely thinking about self sufficiency much more, planting my garden, and keeping a few more supplies on hand to minimize trips to the store.  We need to be prepared for the long haul.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #192 on: August 14, 2020, 12:42:06 PM »
Is this the lantern? https://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond-Color-Lantern-White/dp/B076KRS947/ref=asc_df_B076KRS947/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=&hvpos=&hvnetw=o&hvrand=&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583863979994220&psc=1
]

That's the one.  It's about the size of a baseball and about half the weight.  it won't "light up the whole room" but will give you enough light to eat at the table or go to the bathroom or read in bed.  We take them camping and a single set of batteries will last us all week with moderate use.

Bought 2 August 13th!

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #193 on: August 14, 2020, 10:27:40 PM »
and now... we have pantry moths!  I'm at my limit, I declare! I do have a lot of grains stored in canisters so the damage is probably limited to the dry pasta and maybe a few other items, but this is really disheartening.

I went to the grocery store for the first time since losing/regaining power... it was a very modest purchase as I was too depressed to stock up again.  However, because we had no fresh food, we've been eating takeout every night. What a year, everything is upside down.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #194 on: August 15, 2020, 05:17:23 AM »
Poundwise, so sorry to hear of the food losses but forget going to the store. Sit at your computer and order replacements. I buy pasta, rice, canned stuff on line thru Walmart and Target. However, I will tell you, they both pack horribly and I have had dented cans and forget buying stuff in glass. I also buy canned stuff from Costco.

One thing I do is only buy enough to satisfy the minimum amount to get free shipping. With Walmart that is $35. If you place a $100 order they will try to jam it all into one shipment and the box will weigh 75 lbs. Not easy to drag heavy packages into the house. I also try not to order breakable things. I am a slow learner though. I ordered a whole case of sauce from Amazon. They said 'case'. Well the Amazon seller placed my order with Walmart and Walmart put 12 jars of sauce in the bottom of a box with no bubble wrap. Well, I am sure you can imagine a whole box of glass jars clanking around for a few days on a truck. They all were broken or the caps blew off. It was a disaster and it all had to go in the trash. The Amazon person finally refunded me. I was under the impression that drop shipping was not allowed on Amazon. When I mentioned that to the seller, he refunded me promptly.

You can order from many stores and have curbside service or delivery service. I would explore that route to replenish. The less stress the better. In CT we have Peapod and they deliver for a modest fee. They shop, deliver and all you need to do it put it away.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 05:56:28 AM by Roadrunner53 »

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #195 on: August 15, 2020, 05:37:24 AM »
@Poundwise, I'm so sorry to hear about your power outage and now pantry moths.  My power was out for 50 hours or so back in April and while I was able to haul some of the contents of my 2 chest freezers to a friend's house for temporary storage, I lost everything in my fridge and about half of what was in my freezers.  It was really frustrating.  Good luck getting everything cleaned up and re-stocked.  One small silver lining for me was being able to defrost and deep clean everything before filling it up again.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #196 on: August 15, 2020, 06:09:36 AM »
SquashingDebt, you say you have two chest freezers. How many people in your household. It is just the hub and me and we have an upright freezer (21 CF) a regular refrigerator with a top freezer, both in the garage and I am finding that I am running out of room for stuff I want to buy. I have filled my freezer but now I have no room for sale stuff like turkeys, and other things that are seasonal sales. I kind of feel like a hoarder if I get another freezer but in one way it could be an insurance policy if one unit breaks down as is what happened two years ago to us. We were fantastically lucky and were able to order the freezer from Sears and it was delivered next day. We lost no food at all. Now, Sears must have sold off the Kenmore brand because I can't find anything like what we got and they want $75 delivery fee. I am looking at a freezer thru Home Depot but am on the fence. I want it but feel like I am nuts to buy another one. We are bargain shoppers so I am thinking I am being frugal in an oddball way if I buy it. It is $899 plus tax and free delivery. I have looked on Craigslist and the few that I saw were over priced and old. Seems freezers are a hot commodity these days and I know if I hesitate, they may be hard to come by soon.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #197 on: August 15, 2020, 07:58:08 AM »
Can you recoup some of the losses by eating the moths?

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #198 on: August 15, 2020, 11:04:33 AM »
SquashingDebt, you say you have two chest freezers. How many people in your household. It is just the hub and me and we have an upright freezer (21 CF) a regular refrigerator with a top freezer, both in the garage and I am finding that I am running out of room for stuff I want to buy. I have filled my freezer but now I have no room for sale stuff like turkeys, and other things that are seasonal sales. I kind of feel like a hoarder if I get another freezer but in one way it could be an insurance policy if one unit breaks down as is what happened two years ago to us. We were fantastically lucky and were able to order the freezer from Sears and it was delivered next day. We lost no food at all. Now, Sears must have sold off the Kenmore brand because I can't find anything like what we got and they want $75 delivery fee. I am looking at a freezer thru Home Depot but am on the fence. I want it but feel like I am nuts to buy another one. We are bargain shoppers so I am thinking I am being frugal in an oddball way if I buy it. It is $899 plus tax and free delivery. I have looked on Craigslist and the few that I saw were over priced and old. Seems freezers are a hot commodity these days and I know if I hesitate, they may be hard to come by soon.

I'm just one person.  They're both quite small - basically the smallest you can buy.  I get a lot of free vegetables from work and sometimes like to buy meat in bulk, so I fill them up pretty easily.  The problem is actually eating everything in a reasonable amount of time, haha.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #199 on: August 15, 2020, 11:06:52 AM »
Can you recoup some of the losses by eating the moths?

:D Now THAT is an idea! Maybe it will turn out that they produce a mystery chemical that stops Covid in its tracks! Actually a long time ago we did eat quite a few moth larva by mistake... box of Special K... maybe you didn't want to hear that.

Thank you for the restocking suggestions, @SquashingDebt and @Roadrunner53! I just have to pick myself off the ground and clean out the chest freezer that is full of bad food that thawed then refroze.  The lesson here is to have a generator if you're going to have that many freezers, or a place where you can quickly transfer the food after 2 days. 

@Roadrunner53, have you tried frying slices of the gross canned ham?