Author Topic: Pandemic hoarding  (Read 60169 times)

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Pandemic hoarding
« Reply #750 on: January 06, 2021, 07:21:19 PM »
Rutabaga/turnip story:

Now I still had about 4 cups left. I was on the verge of throwing them out or trying to think of what to do with them. So, what I did was add an egg to it, some brown sugar, cinnamon and a couple cups of bisquick mix. Mixed it all by hand and then plopped 6 blobs onto a baking sheet and baked them up.

I let them cool and cut one in half and put some butter on it. OMG! It was sooo good! Kind of reminded me of spice cake, banana cake, zucchini bread. Mostly the moist texture was what reminded me of those.

Due to the moistness, I refrigerated the rest of them. The Hub loved it! So rather than tossing it, it was reinvented! Yay, no wasted food!

Thank you!!! I am literally rolling in rutabagas and turnips from the same source! I keep trying to sneak them into stews and soups, and each time my family detects them and picks them out with looks of disgust.

SunnyDays

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #751 on: January 06, 2021, 09:31:24 PM »
Rutabaga/turnip story:

Now I still had about 4 cups left. I was on the verge of throwing them out or trying to think of what to do with them. So, what I did was add an egg to it, some brown sugar, cinnamon and a couple cups of bisquick mix. Mixed it all by hand and then plopped 6 blobs onto a baking sheet and baked them up.

I let them cool and cut one in half and put some butter on it. OMG! It was sooo good! Kind of reminded me of spice cake, banana cake, zucchini bread. Mostly the moist texture was what reminded me of those.

Due to the moistness, I refrigerated the rest of them. The Hub loved it! So rather than tossing it, it was reinvented! Yay, no wasted food!

Thank you!!! I am literally rolling in rutabagas and turnips from the same source! I keep trying to sneak them into stews and soups, and each time my family detects them and picks them out with looks of disgust.

Purée them first.  That’ll teach those fussy eaters!

Hadilly

• Bristles
« Reply #752 on: January 06, 2021, 09:34:49 PM »
PMG: thank you for the corn casserole link. I made it tonight with a couple of modifications. No cheese, doubled the veggies and also added ham, puréed some of the corn with the liquid for moistness and threw in a bit of buttermilk. Very tasty! 4/5 of us enjoyed it and that is a pretty good result for a new recipe in my household.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #753 on: January 07, 2021, 02:25:09 AM »
PMG: thank you for the corn casserole link. I made it tonight with a couple of modifications. No cheese, doubled the veggies and also added ham, puréed some of the corn with the liquid for moistness and threw in a bit of buttermilk. Very tasty! 4/5 of us enjoyed it and that is a pretty good result for a new recipe in my household.
You guys crack me up! So many substitutions. So mustachian!  I followed the link. I have everything for that recipe and the Mexican Slaw, except for red pepper. I'm sure I can think of something I can substitute... Thanks!

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #754 on: January 07, 2021, 05:29:03 AM »
So today I am doing a curbside pickup. I also couldn't resist and selected another spiral ham that was on sale for $1.29 lb. With this ham I am going to have the hub strip off all the meat. We will save the bone for pea soup and freeze that. We will make packages out of the ham and vac seal them. Scraps and other parts will be used for the soup. Slices will be used for various dinners. It is precooked so will make some nice dinners and breakfasts! I seriously cannot believe I am buying this ham but...the whole ham is only $12-ish so how can you beat that?

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #755 on: January 07, 2021, 10:57:33 AM »
GRRR!!! Picked up my curbside order and they were out of the ham! Oh, well! LOL! Hope whoever got the last of them enjoys them!

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #756 on: January 07, 2021, 01:50:38 PM »
You guys crack me up! So many substitutions. So mustachian!  I followed the link. I have everything for that recipe and the Mexican Slaw, except for red pepper. I'm sure I can think of something I can substitute... Thanks!

I hadn't paid attention to that Mexican slaw recipe, but it's on my list now.  We like cabbage salads and they've been a staple this winter when we're not shopping often! We have another favorite one dish "mexican" quinoa recipe coming up on our plan that would also be a good companion for the slaw.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #757 on: January 07, 2021, 02:33:35 PM »

I hadn't paid attention to that Mexican slaw recipe, but it's on my list now.  We like cabbage salads and they've been a staple this winter when we're not shopping often! We have another favorite one dish "mexican" quinoa recipe coming up on our plan that would also be a good companion for the slaw.

Can someone post the mexican slaw recipe? I must have missed it!

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #758 on: January 07, 2021, 04:36:20 PM »
Here ya go!  It was linked somewhere inside the cornbread casserole recipe. https://www.feastingathome.com/mexican-slaw/

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #759 on: January 08, 2021, 07:11:33 AM »
Thanks!