Author Topic: Pandemic hoarding  (Read 262785 times)

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
Re: Pandemic hoarding
« Reply #1250 on: April 20, 2022, 04:03:05 AM »
I went to Costco yesterday. I decided to get 50# of calrose rice, and 25# of Mayacoba (Peruano) beans. We're sitting on about 40 - 50# of rice already, but I'm starting to think about shortages and such as the grain situation gets worse. When all of us are home we go through as much as 5# of rice per week.  The beans weren't as cheap as pinto beans from Walmart, but these are the first dried beans Costco has had in over two years -- I distinctly recall them not having dried beans in November 2019, and haven't seen them since.  The Costco beans are triple washed, which is always nice.  I don't stress out over paying $1 per pound for dried beans because they're still a great value, and it's nice to have some variety now and then.

I suspended ButcherBox for 6 weeks.  I was so disappointed with the NY steaks I cooked for Easter!  And we just don't need any more meat right now.

I have stopped buying the NY strip steaks from Butcher Box. The last ones we had were like shoe leather. My hub normally eats any steak but this one type he said was terrible. I mostly eat fillet mignon which is always tender. I am sticking with fillet mignon, rib eye and flat iron steaks. I also won't buy their pork butt as I mentioned previously due to it being like a blubber ball and very little meat. I do like their ground meat and some of their deals offered.

By the way, for those of you who order from Azure Standard, I received an email that said their headquarters in Oregon burned down! They expect some delays on orders as would be expected.

Not sure if any of you buy from Misfits (online) but they offer produce, meat, pantry items. I was buying from Imperfect foods for a long time and one day I got an email and it told me they no longer would ship my items. They are going for a more local delivery option where I believe they deliver themselves and I am not in their delivery area! I was not happy and had been a long time customer. Personally, I think they should have grandfathered me and just not taken on any more new customers that needed shipping. So, I hooked up with Misfits and they are very good and shipping is very reasonable. Misfits does offer 'some' organic items but it is hit and miss. Misfits items, in general, are completely hit and miss and what they have could change weekly. I personally think that the veggies are fresher, expiration dates longer and better looking produce than Imperfect foods. So, now I am pretty glad Imperfect foods dumped me. Oh, and Misfits gives you a window of time to shop. My window is typically late Saturday afternoon till Monday around midnight. I receive my order on Thursday.

Eyesonthehorizon, how long do you parboil your potatoes? Do you cut them into chunks? Do you leave the skins on? What type of potatoes do you use?

My Mother could grow anything in the garden and I don't even remember her having any special potting mix, or fertilizer or anything. She would dig a hole and put some seeds in and would have beautiful plants. She had giant tomatoes. She also canned everything in sight! I get the urge to plant a few things but try to keep it 'controllable'. I have learned that there are bush tomatoes that will grow at a reasonable height. They say 24-36 inches but grow about 5-6 feet high. They still need to have cages or tied up so they don't fall over with the weight of the tomatoes. I plant 6 plants in two above ground planters.  I also plant marigolds in the above ground planters around the tomatoes to crowd out the weeds and read somewhere some bugs don't like the smell of marigolds. I grow some veggies on my deck like lettuce, scallions, basil and this year some bush beans that also only grow maybe 3 feet tall. The bean seeds will go into food safe 5 gallon pails. To me, it is so much fun to go on my deck and cut off lettuce leaves for dinner! I have an awning and last year I kept the planters mostly under the awning so the plants didn't burn up and the lettuce and basil loved it. They got just enough sun but not too much and the lettuce lasted all summer! This year for the first time I am planting dragon's tongue wax beans. I have read people love them! They are streaked with purple but when you cook them, unfortunately, the purple goes away! It is fun to try new things!

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1251 on: April 20, 2022, 05:42:27 AM »
I'm really starting to notice shortages in here again (NL). We've been out of sunflower oil for a while due to the war, which wasn't an issue for me as I don't buy that. But obviously now sunflower oil, the most popular oil, is gone it means people are going for any other type of oil, which means that it's hard to get olive oil or peanut oil, both of which I use quite often. I still have two bottles of oil in the pantry but I've run out of oil for stir frying. It still comes into the shop but it just disappears just as fast. And other random items tend to disappear from the shelves for a few days too. That's more a  logistical issue rather than shortages but still annoying. It's always a bit of a surprise what we can find in the shop for dinner.

I have started my garden, so far I've started bok choy, tomatoes, carrots, lettuce, spinach and I already had onions, garlic and strawberries. There will be more but I don't have a lot of time to garden. But usually once I've gotten the weeds out and the seeds in, Mother Nature does the rest!

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1252 on: April 26, 2022, 12:02:31 PM »
I'm really starting to notice shortages in here again (NL). We've been out of sunflower oil for a while due to the war, which wasn't an issue for me as I don't buy that. But obviously now sunflower oil, the most popular oil, is gone it means people are going for any other type of oil, which means that it's hard to get olive oil or peanut oil, both of which I use quite often. I still have two bottles of oil in the pantry but I've run out of oil for stir frying. It still comes into the shop but it just disappears just as fast. And other random items tend to disappear from the shelves for a few days too. That's more a  logistical issue rather than shortages but still annoying. It's always a bit of a surprise what we can find in the shop for dinner.

I have started my garden, so far I've started bok choy, tomatoes, carrots, lettuce, spinach and I already had onions, garlic and strawberries. There will be more but I don't have a lot of time to garden. But usually once I've gotten the weeds out and the seeds in, Mother Nature does the rest!

Is canola oil common in Europe? That's a pretty common vegetable oil in the US whereas I can't recall seeing sunflower oil. A lot of vegetable oil is a blend which may include soybean, corn, canola, or other oils.

It looks like soybean oil is by far the most popular in the US by sales, with sunflower oil pretty far down the list - https://www.statista.com/statistics/301044/edible-oils-consumption-united-states-by-type/

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1253 on: April 26, 2022, 02:17:11 PM »

Is canola oil common in Europe? That's a pretty common vegetable oil in the US whereas I can't recall seeing sunflower oil. A lot of vegetable oil is a blend which may include soybean, corn, canola, or other oils.

It looks like soybean oil is by far the most popular in the US by sales, with sunflower oil pretty far down the list - https://www.statista.com/statistics/301044/edible-oils-consumption-united-states-by-type/

I had honestly never even heard of canola oil and I've never seen it in my country (I don't think we even have a word for it) it seems to be some sort of processed rapeseed oil? We have rapeseed oil but it's a bit more expensive and not really suitable for frying and stir frying because the smoke point is low.

I think the most used types of oil in my country are sunflower, olive and peanut oil (for stir frying). The average grocery store has a wide selection of brands and different sizes of bottles for those types of oil. And then there's usually one shelf with expensive small bottles of niche oils like rapeseed, avocado, lineseed, grapeseed, rice, sesame seed oil etc. Mixed oils are uncommon here and I've never seen soy bean or corn oil either.

Judging by the signs put up in the grocery stores, notifying people that nutritional information on the packaging of processed foods may not be correct due to the sunflower oil shortage, it seems that the food industry also mainly uses sunflower oil for things like crisps, cookies, cakes etc.

I have about a liter of olive oil left and we're switching to butter for some dishes. We haven't found an alternative suitable for stir frying yet.

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
« Reply #1254 on: April 26, 2022, 03:38:12 PM »
Yesterday, I sliced and grilled some polenta that's been in the fridge for a couple of years. I didn't look, but I'm sure it's at least a year past expiration. It was the kind that's in a plastic sleeve, with crimped ends, like sausage. It was delicious and we're fine today.

This sounds like a great new thread: "Brag on your post dated food consumption", with dead and not dead sub categories.
I spent years buying can food and snacks at a place that only sold past the due date food, the trick was to stay within a year. All the cans were dented. Chips were generally a no-go as they were smashed into little bits.

Here's a starter: The guy on YouTube who eats old-to-ancient MREs. This one is ~120 years old: https://youtu.be/jZoHuMwZwTk
Ohhh hell no!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eyesonthehorizon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1255 on: April 26, 2022, 04:15:45 PM »
Eyesonthehorizon, how long do you parboil your potatoes? Do you cut them into chunks? Do you leave the skins on? What type of potatoes do you use?
Sorry to miss this -- in reverse order, we grab whatever's cheapest at Aldi, scrub & cut them into approximately 1.5-2" chunks, never bother to skin them, & parboil for a very hand-wavey, "ish" 20 minutes (to be totally frank that part usually ends up being SO's job, I'd probably steam them instead.) Then onto a baking tray in the freezer to be packed up after frozen & defrosted in servings as needed - a few cubes for breakfast tacos or curry or dump a whole pack out for fries or mashed potatoes. The thing about freezers is they're basically dehumidifers, so the partially cooked potatoes behave more like fresh than getting to the mushy texture they would if they were frozen raw. I've always done this in such large batches we haven't really workshopped it for best results, that said, so I'm sure there are obvious improvements I could make.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1256 on: April 26, 2022, 04:22:48 PM »
I had honestly never even heard of canola oil and I've never seen it in my country (I don't think we even have a word for it) it seems to be some sort of processed rapeseed oil? We have rapeseed oil but it's a bit more expensive and not really suitable for frying and stir frying because the smoke point is low.

Canola is rapeseed oil with some limitations on specific fatty acids.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1257 on: April 26, 2022, 07:40:35 PM »

Canola oil is popular because it has a light flavour and a high smoke point.  They bred out the 2 toxic components from rapeseed it (is in the mustard family, btw) - By definition, if a seed is labeled “canola” it has to have less than 30 micromoles of glucosinolates and less than 2% of erucic acid.   The "Can" in Canola is for Canada, the breeding was done here in the 70s (i.e. traditional breeding, not GMO).  Canola is a big crop on the prairies.  Plus canola is a major nectar source for honeybees - the downside is that the honey crystallizes easily.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1258 on: April 26, 2022, 08:19:56 PM »

Canola oil is popular because it has a light flavour and a high smoke point.  They bred out the 2 toxic components from rapeseed it (is in the mustard family, btw) - By definition, if a seed is labeled “canola” it has to have less than 30 micromoles of glucosinolates and less than 2% of erucic acid.   The "Can" in Canola is for Canada, the breeding was done here in the 70s (i.e. traditional breeding, not GMO).  Canola is a big crop on the prairies.  Plus canola is a major nectar source for honeybees - the downside is that the honey crystallizes easily.
Wow, that's interesting, particularly the bit in bold. If I can't get honey on glass jars (looking at you, Costco), I use it until it begins to show signs of slight crystallization, then I transfer it to glass canning jars. Much easier warm, which solves the problem.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1259 on: April 27, 2022, 05:19:24 AM »
Thanks eyesonthehorizon on the tater instructions. I have a small bag of taters coming in my Misfits delivery tomorrow. I plan to use your instructions and freeze them. I also read recently...can't remember where...that duck fat is really good to put on taters to make crispy fries. I bought a jar of it and will try it too.

Here is an article on more cooking oil problems:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/26/business/palm-oil-indonesia-export-ban-explainer-intl-hnk/index.html

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1260 on: April 27, 2022, 05:38:57 AM »
I have a good friend who is an anthropologist, and knows more about primate habitat encroachment than I ever will. In her opinion there is no such thing as “sustainable palm oil.” It’s incredibly ubiquitous, though. Finding stuff made without it is pretty challenging.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1261 on: April 27, 2022, 09:41:21 AM »

I've googled around a bit and it seems the canola cultivar isn't really grown here in Europe. We do grow the traditional rapeseed plants in my country, I love how pretty those fields look. But the oil isn't super popular for cooking.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1262 on: April 27, 2022, 10:22:15 AM »

I've googled around a bit and it seems the canola cultivar isn't really grown here in Europe. We do grow the traditional rapeseed plants in my country, I love how pretty those fields look. But the oil isn't super popular for cooking.

They are in the mustard family so both have those pretty yellow flowers.

I wouldn't use rapeseed oil, it is not that nice.  Canola is fine.  It is a big agricultural product here.  Canada is the top producing country of canola oil dand it is exported all over the world.  It is also used in the automotive and chemical industries, where the original rapeseed is as useful as the modified canola.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1263 on: April 27, 2022, 10:26:34 AM »
I live in "canola country" and the fields are so beautiful in July.  Except for sunflower oil when I was a kid, I've only ever had canola oil for cooking.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1264 on: April 27, 2022, 03:10:52 PM »
I live in "canola country" and the fields are so beautiful in July.  Except for sunflower oil when I was a kid, I've only ever had canola oil for cooking.

My mother and grandmother basically used butter and lard.  I have branched out a bit to olive oil and avocado oil.  I would use canola and sunflower as well, but cooking for one with 4 different oils in the kitchen means something would go rancid before it was used it, so I limit my choices.

I've had wild mustard as a weed and it is really pretty.

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1265 on: April 27, 2022, 09:13:15 PM »
I have a good friend who is an anthropologist, and knows more about primate habitat encroachment than I ever will. In her opinion there is no such thing as “sustainable palm oil.” It’s incredibly ubiquitous, though. Finding stuff made without it is pretty challenging.

This is one reason I make so much of what we eat at home from scratch. I'm willing to cook with EVOO, butter, ghee, lard from pastured animals, the grease from cooking bacon, other animal fats rendered at home through cooking, and very occasionally, canola oil (basically for birthday treats since I have a kid who's allergic to dairy and can't use butter if he's going to eat something).  I've bought and used avocado oil before (mostly to make mayo), but we don't go through it fast enough to make it worth the cost. Oils just go rancid too quickly to keep too many on hand, or to stock up on ahead of time.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1266 on: April 27, 2022, 09:18:26 PM »

My mother and grandmother basically used butter and lard.  I have branched out a bit to olive oil and avocado oil.  I would use canola and sunflower as well, but cooking for one with 4 different oils in the kitchen means something would go rancid before it was used it, so I limit my choices.

I've had wild mustard as a weed and it is really pretty.

Oh yeah, my parents grew up eating lard, as did everybody they knew.

I keep my oil in the fridge so it stays fresh longer.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #1267 on: April 27, 2022, 10:28:53 PM »

They are in the mustard family so both have those pretty yellow flowers.

I wouldn't use rapeseed oil, it is not that nice.  Canola is fine.  It is a big agricultural product here.  Canada is the top producing country of canola oil dand it is exported all over the world.  It is also used in the automotive and chemical industries, where the original rapeseed is as useful as the modified canola.

I was Very Excited to find Canadian-imported canola oil in one of our lockdown group buys this morning. Bought 12L. Cost me about Cdn$100.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1268 on: April 28, 2022, 05:15:32 AM »
My grandparents had a farm and lived a very pioneer life. They raised hogs, chickens, milking cows, a one-acre garden just for the family to eat from and the good old outhouse. They mostly ate what they grew on the farm and they cooked with lard, bacon fat, butter, drank raw unpasteurized milk. My grandfather lived to 110 and grandmother to age 90. I guess good old fashioned fats weren't all that bad! They also grew tobacco and my grandfather was famous for chewing it and spitting it (YUK) but never got sick from it. He and his oldest son plowed the fields with mules, no tractors! Oldest Uncle lived to be 91 years old and lived the same lifestyle as the grandparents.

Sometimes I wonder if these new oils are really that great for our health. Crisco fooled consumers of it being a healthy alternative to lard...see article:

https://news.yahoo.com/crisco-toppled-lard-made-americans-154832350.html?msclkid=47c37ed4c6e311ec87fdbb2783ebc13c

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1269 on: April 28, 2022, 01:39:08 PM »
Costco trip this morning.  DH was excited that they had cereal that he likes.  We got 2 large boxes of Special K with Red Berries which has been hit-or-miss for the past 2 years.  They also had Grape Nuts which I don't think I've ever seen before at Costco.  That's his all time  favorite. 

With regard to fats, I use EVOO and grapeseed oil primarily.  I save fat from cooking such as bacon (yum!) and pork or beef.   

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #1270 on: April 28, 2022, 07:05:48 PM »
My grandparents had a farm and lived a very pioneer life. They raised hogs, chickens, milking cows, a one-acre garden just for the family to eat from and the good old outhouse. They mostly ate what they grew on the farm and they cooked with lard, bacon fat, butter, drank raw unpasteurized milk. My grandfather lived to 110 and grandmother to age 90. I guess good old fashioned fats weren't all that bad! They also grew tobacco and my grandfather was famous for chewing it and spitting it (YUK) but never got sick from it. He and his oldest son plowed the fields with mules, no tractors! Oldest Uncle lived to be 91 years old and lived the same lifestyle as the grandparents.

Sometimes I wonder if these new oils are really that great for our health. Crisco fooled consumers of it being a healthy alternative to lard...see article:

https://news.yahoo.com/crisco-toppled-lard-made-americans-154832350.html?msclkid=47c37ed4c6e311ec87fdbb2783ebc13c

"The big fat surprise" by Nicole Teicholz argues in favor of the old time fats as opposed to the vegetable oils that are so new to the human diet.

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1271 on: April 29, 2022, 03:52:50 PM »
My free Instacart 5 month trial ends tomorrow, and I have to decide if I want to renew or not.  I had previously paid $99 for a full year, then after that ended I received a free offer connected to a credit card, so we've been using that.  I can renew at $79 for a year as a Costco customer.  Part of me would rather not keep the service, but I feel like we still have no idea if Covid cases are going to spike again.

I inventoried the freezers today (chest in garage and upper freezer in the house), and gave them a little reorganization.  There's no point in "hoarding" and then not using what we've bought.

I've started looking at sale ads again, but I feel like I have no idea what is a good price or not.  I saw b/s chicken breast for $3 per pound, which seems incredibly high to me, but for all I know it's a great price.

I'm wondering if anyone has ideas for cooking some truly terrible cod we got from ButcherBox?  No matter how long I cook it it stays tough, and on top of that it's as if there is still cartridge in the backbone area.  I have six pieces.  Even my husband has refused to eat it, which is saying a lot since he is the one who eats all of the things other people in the house won't -- the leftovers, the meals that didn't turn out well, etc.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1272 on: April 29, 2022, 07:24:31 PM »
Fish cakes? Fish tacos?

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1273 on: April 29, 2022, 08:21:16 PM »
Fish cakes? Fish tacos?

This. If you can crumble it, you should be able to turn it into cakes or patties, at least.

That’s really disappointing about Butcher Box. I’ve never tried it, but I assumed that it would be high quality.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1274 on: April 29, 2022, 09:42:28 PM »
My free Instacart 5 month trial ends tomorrow, and I have to decide if I want to renew or not.  I had previously paid $99 for a full year, then after that ended I received a free offer connected to a credit card, so we've been using that.  I can renew at $79 for a year as a Costco customer.  Part of me would rather not keep the service, but I feel like we still have no idea if Covid cases are going to spike again.

I inventoried the freezers today (chest in garage and upper freezer in the house), and gave them a little reorganization.  There's no point in "hoarding" and then not using what we've bought.

I've started looking at sale ads again, but I feel like I have no idea what is a good price or not.  I saw b/s chicken breast for $3 per pound, which seems incredibly high to me, but for all I know it's a great price.

I'm wondering if anyone has ideas for cooking some truly terrible cod we got from ButcherBox?  No matter how long I cook it it stays tough, and on top of that it's as if there is still cartridge in the backbone area.  I have six pieces.  Even my husband has refused to eat it, which is saying a lot since he is the one who eats all of the things other people in the house won't -- the leftovers, the meals that didn't turn out well, etc.

Here's an idea for the cod (I do this with salmon tail sections that are not as fatty and oily as the other parts): cut into smaller pieces (remove the skin for salmon), roll in seasoned flour, dip in egg, roll in panko, fry in 1/4" + oil for 1.5- 2 minutes per side, set in paper towels.
Serve with lemon and tartar sauce.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1275 on: April 30, 2022, 12:24:50 AM »

This is one reason I make so much of what we eat at home from scratch. I'm willing to cook with EVOO, butter, ghee, lard from pastured animals, the grease from cooking bacon, other animal fats rendered at home through cooking, and very occasionally, canola oil (basically for birthday treats since I have a kid who's allergic to dairy and can't use butter if he's going to eat something).  I've bought and used avocado oil before (mostly to make mayo), but we don't go through it fast enough to make it worth the cost. Oils just go rancid too quickly to keep too many on hand, or to stock up on ahead of time.

I've never had oils go rancid, and didn't do anything special to prevent that. Most bottles of oil have an expiry date 12-18 months into the future. We're just buying regular bottles, not restaurant size 10 liter cans, of course. Under normal circumstances, when our regular brands are available, we go through about 1 bottle (1/2 liter) of olive oil a month and 1 bottle (also 1/2 liter) of peanut oil ever 3 months. I usually keep 1 extra bottle of each in the pantry.

Right now I have managed to get my hands on 3 bottles of oil. All of them have expiry dates in 2023 so I don't expect them to go rancid in the pantry before they get used.

I bought rapeseed oil yesterday for the first time ever. It was also the last bottle in the store. According to the bottle it will be good for stir frying so that's what I'm going to use it for. We stir fry quite a lot and that has been an issue - you can't just use plain olive oil or butter. The internet tells me I could use ghee as well but that's not an easy to find thing either.

The oil section in my grocery store has three equal sized displays. One filled with fancy expensive olive oils in small bottles. This one is still full. Then another one with all sorts of unusual oils - grapeseed, rapeseed, sesame oil, etc etc. This one display had just one bottle of rapeseed left, which I bought. The third display contains the every day oils - cheap olive oil, sunflower oil, family sized containers, deep frying fats (oils and solid animal fats). This third display has been empty ever since the war in the Ukraine started and the middle display is often empty but at least it's restocked every now and then.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1276 on: April 30, 2022, 05:21:37 AM »
We mostly use olive oil, but I do buy canola/rapeseed for frying.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1277 on: April 30, 2022, 08:37:35 AM »
K_in_the_kitchen I would contact Butcher Box and tell them you are dissatisfied with the fish, and they will refund you or replace it. As mentioned before, I have complained about their pork butt and they replaced it. However, I still found the same problem with the replacement. I didn't complain about that one but I will never buy that cut of meat again from them. Live and learn.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1278 on: April 30, 2022, 10:04:12 AM »
Y’all have completely convinced me to never try butcher box.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1279 on: April 30, 2022, 10:26:19 AM »
Imma - Next time you need oil, try grapeseed oil if available.  It's my go-to neutral oil.  High smoke point and neutral taste.  Where I am (US) I get from the middle eastern grocery where it is cheaper and more available than the regular chain grocery store. 

Good luck with the rapeseed oil.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1280 on: April 30, 2022, 11:34:08 AM »

PMG if you shop at one place a lot you will have issues one time or another. Nothing in this world is perfect.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1281 on: April 30, 2022, 11:38:03 AM »

PMG if you shop at one place a lot you will have issues one time or another. Nothing in this world is perfect.

Yes, but if I physically go to the butcher shop or grocery store, I can see what I'm getting before I pay for it.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1282 on: April 30, 2022, 12:07:06 PM »

Yes, but if I physically go to the butcher shop or grocery store, I can see what I'm getting before I pay for it.

It seems so expensive! I feel like I could get local meat for that price.

eyesonthehorizon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1283 on: April 30, 2022, 01:37:26 PM »
Thanks eyesonthehorizon on the tater instructions. I have a small bag of taters coming in my Misfits delivery tomorrow. I plan to use your instructions and freeze them. I also read recently...can't remember where...that duck fat is really good to put on taters to make crispy fries. I bought a jar of it and will try it too.

Here is an article on more cooking oil problems:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/26/business/palm-oil-indonesia-export-ban-explainer-intl-hnk/index.html
Duck fat is exquisite, especially for frying potatoes (or sweet potatoes - fry some sage, rosemary, or thyme in it to crumble over the top with some flake salt, then serve with the best beer you keep.) If you like the results with the jarred duck fat I'd price compare against just getting whole duck, since the meat is delicious, & the fat very easy to render & store frozen.

I do wish palm oil would go out of style. It's nearly tailor-made for shelf-stable processed food applications, though, hence its ubiquity in the absence of any meaningful legal pressure for habitat preservation & crop diversity; the good news, is if you do most your own cooking, it's also not at all difficult to avoid. Most the foods made with it are unnecessary snack foods, best when consumed infrequently, & inferior to their homemade versions - maybe we need a palm oil food upgrade thread....

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1284 on: April 30, 2022, 03:56:56 PM »

I don't think I've ever had bad meat from Costco, be it beef, lamb, pork, chicken, or fish.  But with the exception of the first couple of whole beeves we bought, which were grass-fed and finished Murray Greys, there have been inconsistencies with any bulk order of grass-fed beef we've purchased, including from ButcherBox.  I do wish it wasn't so cost prohibitive to ship down the Murray Grey beef, as we really loved the rancher and her way of doing things.  Each time, all of our meat was from one beef, and back then the operation was so small that she would load the packaged meat into a chest freezer and drive it down to use herself (700 miles) without charging extra, since selling a whole beef wasn't that common for her in 2008-2010 before grass-fed took off with the masses.  But the business can't absorb those costs anymore.

I'm not sure I would recommend ButcherBox to anyone anymore.  Or at least I would be upfront about the issues I've had.  Yes, they will fix things, but it's a hassle.  And the cod was purchased back in December so I don't know if they will refund me.  We've gagged most of it down, but the last time (in March) my DH finally said it's just too bad to eat.

I will also say this: I think ButcherBox counts on consumers not knowing prices and wanting convenience more than anything else.  Each item in a custom 6 item box costs $28.17.  You can include a 3.5# chicken in your box, which is listed as organic and "free range", a term that has no legal meaning.  We can be sure it doesn't mean these chickens were pastured raised, as there are no large scale operations raising chickens that way.  An organic chicken from Sprouts is $3.49 per pound, so the same chicken would be $12.22 (and it would be an air chilled chicken which means the weight isn't inflated by a brine solution).  But most people don't realize what they are getting or how much it would cost elsewhere.  Another item choice is 2# of ground beef, which is $12.99 at Sprouts for 2# 85/15 ground beef.  With the increase in ButcherBox prices, even the grass-fed, grass finished steaks cost more than at Sprouts.  BB NY steaks come in at $22.54 per pound, and are grass-fed and finished NY steaks are $17.99 per pound at Sprouts.

I use Sprouts as an example because even if you use Instacart for convenience, they charge in-store prices, and you don't need to tip on a pickup order (you do need to tip if you do Instacart delivery because those are gig workers).  I know some of us turned to BB during the pandemic as a source of high quality meat.  But I think they grew too fast and can't source the quality as consistently anymore.

eyesonthehorizon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1285 on: May 08, 2022, 05:07:43 PM »
[about the cod]
... We've gagged most of it down, but the last time (in March) my DH finally said it's just too bad to eat.

I will also say this: I think ButcherBox counts on consumers not knowing prices and wanting convenience more than anything else.
If you can't bear to eat it heavily seasoned in broken bits in a fish cake (like a crab cake), do you or friends/ neighbors have cats or dogs? Anything but tossing it out.

You could also see if that tough texture becomes an asset if you want to experiment with cod jerky. As long as you aren't spicing it the pets won't mind snapping up any leftovers.

In my experience every subscription box grocery service is priced at or above the luxury grocery chains, & is billing for the convenience of delivery/ "curation" (when that curation is obviously hit-or-miss at least with some.) I'd have to double my budget to use any of them, which is more than I want to pay for convenience. It might be different if the price of local groceries were closer, though. I have wondered if the prices are the same across the country - since they're sort of tech companies with a distribution arm, it would make sense if the prices were set by coastal expectations.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1286 on: May 09, 2022, 12:56:59 AM »
I finally found a place that still stocks all types of cooking oil!

It's the plastic-free bulk grocery store. The type where only hippies shop and where all products come in re-usable glass bottles and jars that you pay a mandatory deposit for. They are a true no-single use packaging bulk store in the sense that they only work with supplies who will sell them the products in re-usable bulk containers. It's not like they get bulk plastic bags of oats and sell them in trendy glass jars. They also make this information available to the consumer, so for example I know that the cheese they get straight from a family-owned dairy comes in large plastic crates but that those crates are re-usable and that they themselves pay a deposit for them.

We usually get one bulk order every month. The first couple of months it was expensive because you had to pay up front for all those reusable jars, but now we usually return as many jars as we receive so the net cost is 0. And the best is that for environmental reasons you are not supposed to clean the jars before returning them! They are obviously all industrially washed before they are re-used, so if people clean them at home as well that's twice the environmental impact. Turns out if you have to go to the bulk store and pay a deposit per half liter bottle then panic buying doesn't happen.

If you exclude the bottle deposits, the products are also priced fairly and most of them are organic or otherwise sustainably and locally sourced. They're more expensive than the value range at the supermarket but certainly cheaper than many name brands. The snack products especially are much healthier choices than what you'd find at a regular store -  the cookies we had the other week had an ingredient list that actually resembled my own recipe, instead of a whole lot of overprocessed ingredients you've never heard of.

eyesonthehorizon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1287 on: May 09, 2022, 06:04:07 AM »
@Imma - that sounds incredible. Closer to speculative fiction than a possibility here in the US, with our litigiousness & obsession with convenience-guised-as-sanitation. I'm glad for you on so many levels, not least of which that they still had cooking oil.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1288 on: May 09, 2022, 09:04:38 AM »
@Imma - that sounds incredible. Closer to speculative fiction than a possibility here in the US, with our litigiousness & obsession with convenience-guised-as-sanitation. I'm glad for you on so many levels, not least of which that they still had cooking oil.

Well, shopping at a plastic-free bulk store is quite a niche thing here, as well. But at least it does exist and it's legal and all that.

What makes this particular store expensive for those on a small budget is that they pre-fill their own brand jars, and you pay a €1 deposit for each. It makes the whole process very hygienic - jars are industrially washed and filled again in what I assume are circumstances similar to any food factory. But at any given moment there are probably 30 or more jars or bottles in my house that are worth €1 each.

I'm a rich but frugal person, so I don't mind, but if I was poor I'd rather buy a one pound plastic bag of value range oats for €0,60 in the supermarket than €1,25 + €1 deposit for a a 500 gr jar of GMO-free certified organic oats. We go through two jars a month, for me that extra cost is just a rounding error. (For comparison: brand name is €2,21 for a pound and that's non-organic).

I've also heard of bulk stores where you can take your own containers and fill them on the shop floor but that's bound to be more messy and wasteful and less hygienic. It will be more affordable for those on a tight budget though.

Paying deposits on reusable bottles for beverages is mandatory here, it's the most normal thing in the world for us and has been around for as long as anyone can remember. It's been around since the age of the milkman and just never disappeared. Almost all beer comes in reusable glass bottles. You buy them in plastic crates and you return the crate filled with the empty bottles to the grocery store. The bottles are cleaned and filled again. Soft drinks usually come in reusable plastic bottles.

eyesonthehorizon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1289 on: May 09, 2022, 02:58:48 PM »
... I've also heard of bulk stores where you can take your own containers and fill them on the shop floor but that's bound to be more messy and wasteful and less hygienic. It will be more affordable for those on a tight budget though.
This is the only kind I've ever seen in the states, though rarely. Much less hygenic than your sort because people bypass tongs or scoops to put their unwashed hands into bulk bins, grab a piece of something to snack on or occupy their child's drooly mouth, etc. I generally tended to buy only goods I'd subsequently cook thoroughly. When containers are returnable (for limited goods, most often soaps or cosmetics) there's usually no deposit return.

Most "bulk" stores won't actually allow you to use your own containers either & instead you have to grab their plastic bag to fill & write the product code on to be weighed at the register, though this became less common with covid - now they have bins full of pre-bagged amounts, or prepacked tubs.

I don't think the registers most places even have a tare function to reduce the weight by the weight of the vessel even if they did allow you to bring your own. I was shocked to notice a tare weight on a silicone ziptop bag the other day - what a notion.

Either way, prices aren't usually significantly cheaper than prepackaged branded goods, so it's really not much single-use plastic reduction if any, although the bags are somewhat more reusable than the kinds of packaging that comes from factories ... because there's slack plastic where it's tied off.

K_in_the_kitchen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1290 on: May 09, 2022, 04:23:48 PM »
... I've also heard of bulk stores where you can take your own containers and fill them on the shop floor but that's bound to be more messy and wasteful and less hygienic. It will be more affordable for those on a tight budget though.
This is the only kind I've ever seen in the states, though rarely. Much less hygenic than your sort because people bypass tongs or scoops to put their unwashed hands into bulk bins, grab a piece of something to snack on or occupy their child's drooly mouth, etc. I generally tended to buy only goods I'd subsequently cook thoroughly. When containers are returnable (for limited goods, most often soaps or cosmetics) there's usually no deposit return.

Most "bulk" stores won't actually allow you to use your own containers either & instead you have to grab their plastic bag to fill & write the product code on to be weighed at the register, though this became less common with covid - now they have bins full of pre-bagged amounts, or prepacked tubs.

I don't think the registers most places even have a tare function to reduce the weight by the weight of the vessel even if they did allow you to bring your own. I was shocked to notice a tare weight on a silicone ziptop bag the other day - what a notion.

Either way, prices aren't usually significantly cheaper than prepackaged branded goods, so it's really not much single-use plastic reduction if any, although the bags are somewhat more reusable than the kinds of packaging that comes from factories ... because there's slack plastic where it's tied off.

Bulk buying is difficult in the United States, even in crunchy California.  I've only been in a couple of natural foods stores where you can bring your own containers -- they tend to be co-ops and they aren't where I live.  People's Co-op in Ocean Beach springs to mind, although I don't know what they are doing in a Covid world.  At these kinds of stores you can usually have your container weighed and have the tare weight marked on the glass.

But mostly we see bulk bins places like Sprouts.  Employees dump dry goods from large plastic bags into the bins.  Customers scoop items from the bins into single use plastic bags.  Our Sprouts did away with this during the early days and height of the pandemic, but you can scoop items out again.  Even with the single use plastic bags, these are usually far less plastic than regular packaging.  Sprouts and other natural food stores do sell milk in glass bottles, which are returnable and reusable and do have a $2 deposit.  But when I was using my own produce bags (with tare weight marked on tags) the employees just didn't know how to manage them.

The hands in the bins access bothers me, especially since some of the bins have dried fruits, candies, granola, etc. and children do seem to flock to them.  My local health food store does it a little better for some items.  The grains and beans bins are operated by placing a bag under a spout and then you pull the lever to dispense what you want.

I don't know anywhere near me where I can go in with a container (my own or one from the store obtained with a deposit) and buy cooking oils, peanut butter, honey, shampoo, etc.  But I can order from Azure Standard and buy such foods in bulk amounts, packaged in gallon jugs, large pails, large glass jars, etc.  It helps some.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1291 on: May 09, 2022, 05:56:54 PM »
Here it is Bulk Barn - you can buy as much or as little as you need (great for herbs/spices).  They have plastic bags for dry goods, plastic containers for wettish goods/liquid (i.e. candied fruit that can be a bit wet, honey), and some things pre-packaged.  They will happily tare containers you bring in - you just can't do that with a heavier plastic bag, or with their own containers, health regulations.  Where I find the best value is things that are a bit unusual (and high priced) in regular grocery stores, like quinoa or gluten-free flour.

Prices are as good as or better than my discount grocery store.  People are good about using the scoops.  During the height of lockdown we each went around with our own personal shopper who had a supply of scoops and the shopper did the actual scooping.  we are back to normal now.

Bulk Barn has also dropped their plastic bags (which were good solid bags that could be reused for a long time, the only plastic bags I would actually ask for when I shopped) and gone back to paper.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1292 on: May 10, 2022, 07:50:51 AM »

This is a good description of the bulk stores near my house. I also haven't seen evidence that care is taken to avoid contamination of things like gluten-free flour or grains with regular flour or barley (e.g., I've seen customers use the same scoop in several bins). The bins are thus a bit too risky for me.

I'd happily purchase bulk goods from a store that sold already filled, returnable containers. We already pay a $0.10 deposit on carbonated beverage containers (pop/soda and beer bottles and cans) in our state, so people are used to it.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1293 on: May 10, 2022, 08:46:24 AM »
If you're on the West Coast, employee-owned Winco is the bomb for bulk foods. You can't bring your own jars, but you can bring your own plastic bags.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1294 on: May 10, 2022, 10:19:44 AM »
May 14th is the Stamp Out Hunger drive thru the post office. You can weed out some of your extra shelf stable items that are not expired and are not glass and set out by your mailbox in a bag or box. Post Office employees will pick up when they deliver your mail.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1295 on: May 10, 2022, 10:50:10 AM »
May 14th is the Stamp Out Hunger drive thru the post office. You can weed out some of your extra shelf stable items that are not expired and are not glass and set out by your mailbox in a bag or box. Post Office employees will pick up when they deliver your mail.

Yes! I help run a local Food Pantry that is a beneficiary of Stamp Out Hunger and it is our major source of food for the summer.  Thank you so much for bringing it up!

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1296 on: May 10, 2022, 12:38:52 PM »
If you're on the West Coast, employee-owned Winco is the bomb for bulk foods. You can't bring your own jars, but you can bring your own plastic bags.

The food co-op here suspended the bulk bins during the first year of the pandemic, but they’re back now. You can bring your own jar or use their plastic or paper bags. It’s not really cheap because the co-op is more like Whole Foods than Aldi, but it’s nice if you just want a small amount of something.

They don’t have bulk herbs, though, which our old co-op did and that was really cheap.

eyesonthehorizon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1297 on: May 12, 2022, 08:07:46 AM »
...Sprouts and other natural food stores do sell milk in glass bottles, which are returnable and reusable and do have a $2 deposit. ...
We have Sprouts in Texas but I've never seen a single returnable container of any sort in them, so that must be a regional thing.

As for the May 14th Stamp Out Hunger drive, I guess this is something of an MPP: Anytime there's a shelf-stable food drive I have to donate money. My hoarding is preplanned & optimized, & skepticism of consumer behavioral suggestions reveals best-by dates do not delimit edibility.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1298 on: May 12, 2022, 10:09:45 AM »
...Sprouts and other natural food stores do sell milk in glass bottles, which are returnable and reusable and do have a $2 deposit. ...
We have Sprouts in Texas but I've never seen a single returnable container of any sort in them, so that must be a regional thing.

I think it is regional. In my area, Whole Foods and some of the fancier independent markets sell milk in returnable glass bottles from a local dairy, which also has its own dairy store in a nearby suburb.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1299 on: May 12, 2022, 11:29:13 AM »

As for the May 14th Stamp Out Hunger drive, I guess this is something of an MPP: Anytime there's a shelf-stable food drive I have to donate money. My hoarding is preplanned & optimized, & skepticism of consumer behavioral suggestions reveals best-by dates do not delimit edibility.
I organize a huge annual food drive. I also think I'm a good shopper. The Food Banks can stretch a buck like nobody's business. They buy produce from the growers for twelve cents a pound! Believe me, giving cash is the best option.