Author Topic: Okay, I'm a believer  (Read 4206 times)

Theadyn

• Stubble
Okay, I'm a believer
« on: June 29, 2013, 10:04:06 AM »
So finally got my free bike working and took her for a spin this morning.  Was aiming just to go to bank to see how the bike and I did.  Well, didn't need anything from bank really, so kept going. 

Few blocks further is our city park.  The city park has big swimming pool, put-put golfing, pond with ducks, kids playground, tennis, lots of covered picnic areas, a train for the kiddos and carousel.  So I'm sitting there under the shade looking around and this is what I'm noticing.. within a 2 block radius from our big park is:  another big walking track (1 1/2 mile), places at both parks to picnic/bbq, a big skate park, our Route 66 Museum and Old Town Museum, a convenience store, a grocery store, a dollar store, and bargain store.   The park that I am at is only 10 blocks from my house, mind you.  Pretty much anything I need is within a 10 minute bike ride from my home, taking side streets and only crossing one 4 lane intersection for shopping.

Let me get this straight, so I can drill it into my own head....     Within a 10 minute ride from my house by bike, I can bank, get free entertainment at 2 big parks, visit 2 museums, grocery shop, get household items, get things from convenience store (but who would with a grocery store so close).  Wait, there is also a sporting goods store, a beauty supply store, a block further is a tractor supply store like a farm/ranch/hardware store, a highschool for local hs events....   Within a 10 minute bike ride????  And that's just going west.  O.O

Outfitted bike with a fast release basket and back rack, this is getting exciting  :D

Joet

Re: Okay, I'm a believer
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 10:28:12 AM »
Don't forget getting followed by creepy homeless guys :) or is that just near me? [park areas]

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 11:51:54 AM »
It gets even better in a high density. The fact that you can visit any of the couple million people who live within 30 minutes of moderate exercise is pretttyyyyy cool.

waltertyree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 12:07:31 PM »
Soon enough, as you get the bike into your life this

Within a 10 minute ride from my house by bike

will become 20 or 30 minutes, easy! Then think of what opens up to you!

Theadyn

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 01:56:46 PM »
Attended niece's baby shower, just got back.  Yep, I went by bike.  The look on family member's faces when they found out how I got there...   priceless!!  :)

The best part?   I pulled my bike right up to the steps, hop inside into the cool ac, then got to watch many pull in, pull out, and try to figure out where to park.  Nice!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 02:00:26 PM by Theadyn »

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 03:49:51 PM »
Thumbs up.

aj_yooper

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 04:50:43 PM »
Attended niece's baby shower, just got back.  Yep, I went by bike.  The look on family member's faces when they found out how I got there...   priceless!!  :)

The best part?   I pulled my bike right up to the steps, hop inside into the cool ac, then got to watch many pull in, pull out, and try to figure out where to park.  Nice!

Hopefully you'll start a family trend!

keith

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 05:52:29 PM »

Ha! That's awesome.