Author Topic: Odyssey Hit 200,000 Miles and Making a Weird Sound  (Read 1167 times)

Chris Pascale

• Handlebar Stache
Odyssey Hit 200,000 Miles and Making a Weird Sound
« on: November 01, 2022, 03:29:39 PM »
Took to mechanic and it's low on power steering fluid.

Topped it up, and sounds just fine.

All month I thought I'd maybe have to replace it, or have a big repair.

HawkeyeNFO

• Bristles
  • Retired at 44.....back to work at 45
Re: Odyssey Hit 200,000 Miles and Making a Weird Sound
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2022, 11:24:00 AM »
Check it for leaks.  My '03 Chevy developed a leak in one of the lines that rusted out.  Took me about $10 and 20 minutes to repair it, and it's been working great for several years since then.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2022, 12:49:51 PM »
Makes me wonder how many people would have traded that sucker in for a new model thinking a $1000 repair bill was on the way, and been talked down on the trade in value due to the sound, only to have the whole thing resolved by the next dealer's standard fluid top-off and cleaning procedure.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2022, 03:30:32 PM »
Did you check where the power steering oil went?   It has to be leaking out somewhere.   (I had a leak about 7 years ago...)

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2022, 05:02:25 PM »

You still might, often parts warn us, if we're listening. But keeping fluid in it is step one. Hope it lasts!

lutorm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2022, 06:46:06 PM »

By it, you mean the PS fluid, right?

Chris Pascale

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2022, 10:58:04 AM »
REPLYING TO ALL:

My mechanic did order a power steering fluid pump and the line for it. Not sure what it'll cost, but if that's all that goes wrong in the next 10k or 20k miles, that's pretty good. Drove about 100 miles today to drop my wife at the airport, then see a friend a bit more down the road, and it was fine.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2022, 07:18:47 AM »
REPLYING TO ALL:

My mechanic did order a power steering fluid pump and the line for it. Not sure what it'll cost, but if that's all that goes wrong in the next 10k or 20k miles, that's pretty good. Drove about 100 miles today to drop my wife at the airport, then see a friend a bit more down the road, and it was fine.

pretty dang good Honda reliability to go to that mileage on the original power steering pump.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2022, 07:22:24 AM »
Did you check where the power steering oil went?   It has to be leaking out somewhere.   (I had a leak about 7 years ago...)

I've twice in 20 years suddenly had all the PS fluid leak out of my Toyota.  Never found a leak.  Last time was several years ago, it's still full now.  Very strange.

HawkeyeNFO

• Bristles
  • Retired at 44.....back to work at 45
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2022, 07:32:36 AM »
REPLYING TO ALL:

Keep a bottle of fluid in the back of the van as cheap insurance until the parts come in.  Honda Odyssey with no PS will not be fun to drive.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2022, 07:55:02 AM »
We have a slightly older Odyssey (2006, 230k miles, maybe?).  Had a similar noise.  I fixed it by replacing a couple of O-rings on the inlet to the PS pump.  $5 of parts and a half hour of work.  Easy peasy.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2022, 12:13:16 PM »
Makes me wonder how many people would have traded that sucker in for a new model thinking a $1000 repair bill was on the way, and been talked down on the trade in value due to the sound, only to have the whole thing resolved by the next dealer's standard fluid top-off and cleaning procedure.

I know of a situation where a person was "helped" by a dealer to believe their car <100K miles needed to be replaced b/c the thermostat wasn't working. Didn't tell the owner what was wrong but that the problems were expensive. Person really couldn't afford a new car but they trusted the friendly sales staff.

Also look at your steering rack boots. They might be wet with steering fluid indicating the rack needs new seals. I realized recently that my elderly Honda product needs new rack boots which isn't difficult nor expensive but needs to be done this week. I have parts on hand. Will do it after work.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2022, 12:15:30 PM »
REPLYING TO ALL:

pretty dang good Honda reliability to go to that mileage on the original power steering pump.

I'll bet it has alot to do with the environment where the vehicle is most used. I live in the southeast and my 22 year old Honda (300K+ miles) is still on the original pump and steering rack. The oriignal alternator just wore out (brushes I think), and it is still rocking the original starter.

Chris Pascale

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2022, 12:31:40 PM »

I'll bet it has alot to do with the environment where the vehicle is most used. I live in the southeast and my 22 year old Honda (300K+ miles) is still on the original pump and steering rack. The oriignal alternator just wore out (brushes I think), and it is still rocking the original starter.

Got it at 2-yo in Central Louisiana, and drove it straight up to Long Island (our 2000 Caravan blew up - like something in the engine blew and made a loud sound) right as my wife was picking up 2 of the girls from their after-school program about 12 hours before hitting the road out of there!

Been up here for 10.5 years with lots of trips up and down the east coast, and as far west as Chicago.

lutorm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2022, 12:48:29 PM »
Reminder for those of you with hydraulic power steering: it's extra hard on the pump to turn the steering all the way to the stop. (You can often hear the pump straining against the stop if you do this.) Don't do that and it will last longer. :)

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2022, 01:10:38 PM »

Got it at 2-yo in Central Louisiana, and drove it straight up to Long Island (our 2000 Caravan blew up - like something in the engine blew and made a loud sound) right as my wife was picking up 2 of the girls from their after-school program about 12 hours before hitting the road out of there!

Been up here for 10.5 years with lots of trips up and down the east coast, and as far west as Chicago.

Yep salt and cold starts. I figure you are doing great at 200K miles. Someone in the southwest could probably make a vehicle last forever with a few repairs.

Chris Pascale

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2022, 09:20:54 PM »
Update: Cost will be $380. Getting fixed Wednesday afternoon.

AnotherEngineer

• Stubble
  • MMM reader since '11, forum stalker since '15
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2022, 08:09:38 AM »

Keep a bottle of fluid in the back of the van as cheap insurance until the parts come in.  Honda Odyssey with no PS will not be fun to drive.

Our 2007 175k Odyssey has an occasional power steering problem and slow leak even after a new pump. At idle, the power steering help fades so that your second parallel parking maneuver is all manual. Not fun indeed.

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2022, 08:32:39 AM »
Reminder for those of you with hydraulic power steering: it's extra hard on the pump to turn the steering all the way to the stop. (You can often hear the pump straining against the stop if you do this.) Don't do that and it will last longer. :)

I actually don’t think this is a thing anymore with modernish (1990s+) cars. Most pumps have a bypass so you’re not building up a crazy amount of pressure.

I've twice in 20 years suddenly had all the PS fluid leak out of my Toyota.  Never found a leak.  Last time was several years ago, it's still full now.  Very strange.

Power steering fluid can get really hot and boil out of the reservoir when the pump is working hard, I’ve had it happen on my my car before. Not totally dry, but very low. This could be a mountain road, racetrack situation, where you’re applying high loads to the steering wheel. I’ve heard of it happening also if your alignment is bad and you’ve got to hold the wheel to keep it from veering off the road when traveling straight, the PS pump is working there too.