Author Topic: Objective and Independent review of my asset allocation  (Read 902 times)

DalioGold10

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Objective and Independent review of my asset allocation
« on: March 10, 2019, 07:43:14 AM »
Dear all,

I am in my early 30's. Started to invest in late 2017 (after I had fully paid my mortgage debt), however being from an Eastern European country my options in terms of brokers are limited, hence I chose Interactive Brokers (via Lynx Brokers - an introductiory broker).

Nevethtless, my plan is to build a decent size portfolio by age 45 (very doable in my case), allowing me to cover basic expenses (e.g. utilities, food, fun etc.) for one person, i.e. sort of achieve Barista FIRE. And once achived, no new contributions will be made to the portfolio until age 50-55 as I plan to step back from my carried (which is very stressfull) and only do jobs that allow me to cover current living expenses.

I need some objective and independent review of my assets allocation/portfolio:
Asset classes (100%): Equity- 40%; REITs- 10%; Government Bonds- 35%; Gold -15%.
Equity split between S&P 500- 20%; 10% Developed Europe (UK included); 10% Emerging markets;
REITs- Global Developed markets REITs from ishares;
Goverment bonds- 15% US treasury+20 years; 20% Emerging market government bonds.

I have read a lot of investing literature and opinions and I am well aware of bogleheads philoshopy, but in the same time I fully agree with Ray Dalio's investing phylosophy. More or less, I thinks, this is reflected by my AA.

Thank you all for your review of this.
Much appreciated.

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
Re: Objective and Independent review of my asset allocation
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 11:57:13 AM »
Interesting. The risks I may face could well be different than those you face in the country you live in, which I dont know. This is a factor in setting AA.

Your gold allocation seems a bit high but that may be tied to the risks you perceive, that I don't.

Why would you invest over 40% of your bond allocation in long term US treasuries? It doesnt appear that the interest rate risk is being properly rewarded (return).

Personally, I dont invest in international (non US) bonds. What is your rationale for weighting them so heavily in your bond allocation?