Author Topic: Anybody else NOT into travel?  (Read 28536 times)

M.Butterfly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Anybody else NOT into travel?
« on: June 16, 2017, 10:35:50 AM »
:)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 01:31:57 PM by M.Butterfly »

prognastat

• Pencil Stache
Re: NOT into travel?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 10:44:16 AM »
I am the same, the only traveling I really want to do once FIRE is visiting family, I have family in 4 different countries across the world so this requires some decent travel. However having travelled a lot in my youth across Europe I don't have a lot of interest in traveling much beyond visiting family.

It's not an anxiety ting for me, just that it isn't really worth the hassle to me to go to tons of places and spend a lot of time traveling.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 10:55:38 AM »
I really love traveling, but on some level I'm envious of you.  Traveling can be expensive. 

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 11:01:49 AM »
I'm less than a moderate traveler I think. I don't go doing travel crazy every weekend. We do some beaches in the right season once or twice. That's it. Other than that visiting my home country once in 2 years. But I have some travel related items in the bucket list. To visit Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Dubai, Maldives, London, and Paris. Then some road trips all over India and US. I should do this all in next 30 years. Argg.

sokoloff

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 11:31:00 AM »
I could be quite happy staying at home or traveling only a couple of times per year. IOW, I don't *love* travel.

My job is such that I have employees in 8 locations around the globe and end up making Delta Diamond (~125K "butt in seat" miles per year) by the middle of summertime, so I get more than enough travel foisted upon me. When I took this role, I expected that I'd dread the travel, but I've mostly gotten used to it. Now, the drag is just the logistics of it and missing the kids while I'm on business trips.

When I retire, I do expect that we'll amp up the personal travel quite a bit.

startingsmall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 11:36:18 AM »
I enjoy local travel - day trips, weekends or weeks in the mountains or at the beach, etc.

I'm not really that into the idea of international travel, though.... I hate the headaches that come with flying and I'm intimidated by international differences in laws/culture/etc. I'm much more a nature-person than a history-person or culture-now, so I feel like there's more than enough nature here in the U.S. to keep me busy for a lifetime!!

slappy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 12:52:16 PM »
I feel this way too. I've never been interested in travelling. However, now that I have a three year old and an infant, DH and I thinking of places within the States that we can take them too. We are looking for outdoorsy and/or educational value, with more interest in the outdoorsy/hiking/exploration.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 01:17:55 PM »
My partner and I have each lived in multiple countries. My previous passport required additional pages and had one page that was black from stamps because so many bored agents flipped it open, got their thumb stuck on a particularly thick visa, and stamped the next page without looking.

And yet, we are currently known homebodies and have rarely left this city since moving here three years ago, and then only with or to visit family.

Meanwhile, we are saving up for a retirement of global slow travel. This allows you to be a homebody with your home in a new location every few months...

anonymouscow

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 01:20:57 PM »
Traveling can be good, I think I heard it before that traveling does not necessarily mean "vacation". You travel because you want to see new places, experience new things, there are many hassles with this, getting to the airport, flying, time zones, different countries, taxis, hotels, etc. I wouldn't travel just to travel (unless you get a great deal maybe), but travel to do something you enjoy. If you enjoy the outdoors, travel somewhere that has amazing outdoors.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2017, 01:33:20 PM »
I don't like to travel either, the only times I've taken a plane in the past five years have been to visit family.  I have no desire to travel outside the US (except for visiting my SO's family in the UK, and even that I'm not looking forward to as much as I wish I was.)  I don't even really enjoy travelling around the country, I'd rather have stay-cations, day trips, and visits to family be all the travelling I have to do.  Definitely does make me feel out of place around here, occasionally, so I'm glad to know there's others who feel that way.

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2017, 02:00:27 PM »
Being in the 'love to travel' camp, I'd love to know why you have the preference to stay close to home.  Genuinely, I actually wish I had more of that myself- it'd be cheaper!

dreams_and_discoveries

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2017, 02:17:53 PM »
I'm very much an individualist, and get why you love to stay home; everyone should be free to live their lives to suit them, and you not travelling is hardly harming anyone. You do have a point on air travel, that we all tend to gloss over the environmental impact.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2017, 02:48:52 PM »
Its is complicated.  Up until a few years ago I flew a lot for work, mostly on short notice.

I actually sort of like flying, zero responsibilities, no internet, free movies, free booze (but yes I do see the environmental impact).  I think the biggest reason I dont like traveling is the hotels.  The trough of scrambled eggs all hotels have is the stuff of nightmares.  And I always sleep poorly the first few nights. 

You can have fun traveling on vacation but really deep down unless you are happy in your own head while at home you wont be happy while on vacation.  The vacation might provide a distraction and fun but at the end of the day it wont make you happy.

Also I think what you get on most vacations is a very superficial interaction with the locals.  I have found that the cashiers at Panera are basically the same everywhere.  I think I would like to go somewhere cool for a month (English speaking only!) and learn the place and half way live like a local that might be fun.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2017, 03:42:33 PM »
Before I retired, I would have said that I wasn't into travel, and I didn't expect to travel at all in retirement. A couple of things changed that.

Firstly, someone told me I traveled all the time, and pointed out the 7.5 hours it takes me to drive to where my parents live, the trips I enjoy, camping at different places around this wonderful country. And I do. Since I retired, the trips to my parents' get broken by visiting something different on the way each time.

Secondly, I wanted to go to Turkey for the commemorations for the Gallipoli landings 100 years before. And when I went, I found just how different other countries are to my land. It made me more aware of the uniqueness that is Australia. As a result, I have gone to other countries as well. I do think travel broadens your outlook (if you are prepared for it - so many people put a destination on their bucket list, because it is on everyone else's, and ask what they should do there when they arrive).

For us, going overseas is REALLY going over seas - it's not like just about everywhere else, where you can go a few miles and cross a border. When it can take 50 hours of travel by plane to get somewhere that looks comparatively close on the maps (because planes go to South America via North America for example), going for a reasonable amount of time is the only way to travel (in my opinion). But I miss Australia so much when I have been away for two months, that it is really time to go home again.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2017, 03:45:57 PM »
I'm not into travel. I spent my formative years being hauled all over the globe. I went to 10 different schools in 4 different cities, in two different countries. Now, homebase is just more important to me.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2017, 03:52:56 PM »
Me! I traveled (mostly solo backpacking) from ages 16-26, and hit saturation point. Zero interest now, though I'll go for a few reasons (see family far away, etc).

I relocate regularly, and that's just the right balance for me. Fresh batch of humans, sights, ideas, activities, etc, every 2-3 years, while still having a comfy nest.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2017, 04:01:03 PM »
I like to travel but don't want to be away from home more then 2-3 weeks at a time.  I have trouble sleeping the first night or two also.  Usually we take a couple of vacations/year which is just right for me. My DH would like to travel for a year in RV or live in Europe for a few months but that is not for me.  Everyone is different.

azure975

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2017, 04:06:09 PM »
Me! It's not that I don't like to see new places, but I really like my creature comforts. I don't sleep well in new places, I like knowing where my usual go-to stores are, don't like the hassle of flight delays, etc. I would enjoy living in a new place for several months where I actually get to settle in, but it seems like it would get expensive to do it too often. I do think I'll travel more in retirement since I'll have a lot more time to decompress, adjust to time differences, etc rather than having to go right back to work.

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2017, 06:42:38 AM »
Its is complicated.  Up until a few years ago I flew a lot for work, mostly on short notice.

I actually sort of like flying, zero responsibilities, no internet, free movies, free booze (but yes I do see the environmental impact).  I think the biggest reason I dont like traveling is the hotels.  The trough of scrambled eggs all hotels have is the stuff of nightmares.  And I always sleep poorly the first few nights. 

You can have fun traveling on vacation but really deep down unless you are happy in your own head while at home you wont be happy while on vacation.  The vacation might provide a distraction and fun but at the end of the day it wont make you happy.

Also I think what you get on most vacations is a very superficial interaction with the locals.  I have found that the cashiers at Panera are basically the same everywhere.  I think I would like to go somewhere cool for a month (English speaking only!) and learn the place and half way live like a local that might be fun.

Book hotels with a fridge and microwave at minimum, suite with a stove if possible (and cheap enough). Grocery store is the first stop, I used to live out of hotel rooms and have a great set of staple recipes for even the fridge and microwave style.

I agree and disagree on the happiness thing. Some people crave a certain amount of change, discovery, adventure, whatever you want to call it. And going on trips fulfills that need. It doesn't mean you're unhappy when you get back, it means you were stimulated, had a new life experience and then came back. OTOH if someone is just trying to escape a life they don't like you're right that travel won't necessarily 'fix' it, although the perspective of a different place and different people's lifestyle might cause enough discomfort to make a change.

If you're just going to chain places and having superficial interactions, you can't expect anything deeper than that. Going local like you say is one way to do things, but just being real and drawing people into your fun works well. A few drinks don't hurt either. We've had a lot of crazy fun times travelling and had some great REAL experiences with people.

I totally get the OPs perspective though even though I love travel I really hate crowded places and doing what everyone else is doing. It's like checking a box but not considering why you're checking it. Like is seeing the eiffel tower REALLY going to make you happy? You have to know yourself and do things you actually like. If you're a homebody like the OP and happy with it then you're not missing anything on the road. :D

Lanthiriel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2017, 06:55:25 AM »
I always think I want to travel, and then I'm gone for about four days and I just want my own bed and a snuggle with my dogs. My husband is a severe introvert, and we've carefully crafted our home life so that it suits us perfectly. I never feel fully relaxed anywhere else, and I'm so used to having that feeling at home that I start getting anxious when I'm not able to get to that happy place.

That said, I can't shake the feeling that not traveling is missing out and on some level sort of anti-intellectual. So I wind up doing a couple of long weekends a year, mostly to visit family, and then the husband and I take a week or two somewhere usually every other year. We have a 10-day Rhine River cruise booked for December to see the European Christmas markets. I have a sneaking suspicion that we might be cruise people: see multiple locations without having to plan and navigate moving from one place to the next. Probably further proof we're bad travelers ;)

ChrisLansing

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2017, 07:38:00 AM »
I travelled extensively while in the Navy and have been to my wife's native land in SE Asia a few times.   I've travelled some in America.   I'm about travelled out.    I don't even like going accross town.    I'm no longer caught up in the idea that travell is an experience.   You can see Mt. Rushmore in pictures on the net, and frankley is a hell of a lot less impressive in person.     Same goes for Thailand, Singapore, Nice, Paris, etc. etc.   

Living somewhere else, immersing myself in the local culture has some appeal.   I could see living in another country for several years.  But "vacationing" somewhere for two or three weeks, just to say I've seen it has little to no appeal anymore.    Vacations are just an exercise in logistics.   
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 07:42:57 AM by ChrisLansing »

Dee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2017, 07:39:42 AM »
I'm not much into traveling either, except that when I do travel, road trips are by far my preference. Luckily, my spouse really likes to drive. I don't mind it either (depending on the circumstances). What I like the most about car travel is being able to carry stuff easily. It helps me not have stress and anxiety over "what if I forget something important." With a car, it's easy to just stop and buy whatever I forgot (if I do forget anything). And keep extra stuff in the trunk. A car kinda feels like a piece of home during a road trip.

Travel is a sensory experience, which is probably what many people like about it and what I find stressful about it. Getting used to (or not) the new scent of every place is difficult, even where the smell is not bad, but just different.

I don't mind flying or traveling by train for the portion of the trip that I'm on that vehicle, but I hate the rigmarole of getting myself there -- getting to the station or airport with lots of time to spare, having the ticket in the right place, carrying all the luggage, all of it just causes me anxiety. When I'm finally on board with the vehicle moving, I'm much more relaxed. I'm very good at sitting around reading or doing puzzles or whatever, so a long ride doesn't bother me. It may actually wind up being one of my favourite parts of the travel experience.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2017, 09:09:25 AM »
I love being home and really appreciate time to enjoy where I live. I also love travelling. Ideally I'd travel for 4-6 months a year and be home the rest of the time. It helps living someplace pretty awesome.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2017, 09:34:15 AM »
I think I'd be perfectly happy after that staying home if living in an awesome place.

I should clarify. I live someplace awesome except during winter. During winter it's not awful, but I definitely would prefer to be someplace warm and dry. ;)

undercover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2017, 10:51:26 AM »
Any long distance travel or traveling by plane is definitely a modern phenomenon. It's a novelty. It's in no way shape or form necessary for surviving or even living a happy life. It's something that on the grand perspective of all humanity, only a handful of very fortunate people can/(historically have been able to) afford to do regularly. If you don't enjoy it, it's probably for good reason. It complicates life in a way that is redundant and unnecessary.

Different does not mean better. Some people just enjoy the thrill occasionally of building a temporary life with lots of money. You're essentially paying to live a different life temporarily.

For me, while I think traveling is an overall pointless modern phenomenon, it does offer some benefits and there are times in which I crave it. It helps with perspective, motivation, and creativity. I'm sure there are cheaper and more practical ways to get this but I'm just saying. There's a high you get when you return where you feel like the world is much smaller and things are much more possible than you thought. The only problem is if you don't keep the momentum going and start acting on your thoughts. then it fades very quickly.

I hear you on the sleeping in different places/beds thing. I usually get anxious/depressed on my first couple of days on a new trip before I can settle in and can't sleep well.. I'm getting better at this though.

I actually sort of like flying, zero responsibilities, no internet, free movies, free booze (but yes I do see the environmental impact).

I agree. It can get tedious at times, but there's something about that "no turning back" feeling that I love. My least favorite part about flying is obviously the lines at the airport and the boarding process - but I've mitigated that by getting the TSA precheck thing through a credit card (free) and arriving at nearly the very last minute. The idea of sitting in an airport waiting for your flight to board is now ridiculous to me.

Count of San Francisco

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2017, 02:12:53 PM »
Yep.  I don't think I'm not THAT old (mid 30s), but one of the first things that made me feel like I'm definitely not in my teens or 20s anymore was that I cannot stand driving more than say 5-6 hours a stretch.  When I was younger I loved taking road trips that were 10-12 hours away by car, but I cannot stomach that anymore. 

As for flying, it's a night and day difference flying any kind of premium class (business or above) vs coach.  The former makes flying downright pleasurable, the latter makes it a nightmare.  Especially on domestic airlines.  Since I am unable and unwilling to pay for a premium class every time I fly, and upgrades are rare and unpredictable, I almost never fly.  Slight fear of it as well. 

So I guess I'm not that against travel itself when thought of from the destination perspective.  It's the journey that can really annoy me.  If I could go to sleep in my bed and wake up in Tokyo for a couple of days, sure that would be fine.  But flying coach for 11 hours to get there and back?  Man, that's really tough for me.

So nowadays our travel is usually limited to visiting Los Angeles, which is about a 5-6 hour drive away.  We do that about 2-3 times a year and that's it. 

I think what also dampens my desire to travel is that I live in a city and state that's considered a tourist attraction.  There's a lot to do and see right here.  When I was younger I lived in a very small town in a rural area, and my family had a desire to get out of town almost every weekend.  As part of a larger consideration, that feeling has also pushed me towards delaying FIRE a bit so we can do it somewhere in California.  Preferably the Los Angeles area.  The only traveling I'm really interested in now are places I can reach by car in 5-6 hours or under.  My favorite vacation spots are Los Angeles, San Diego, Las Vegas, and parts of Arizona.  All of those would be reachable by car (as would the SF Bay Area) within 5-6 hours if I live in Los Angeles.  Couple that with a very rare overseas trip, and I'd be VERY happy and satisfied with any travel desires.

Dora the Homebody

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2017, 08:00:18 PM »
I'm not into travelling at all.  When I'm on vacation I do my best to not leave my property!  But I love it here and there is always something to do around a farm that will keep me busy and happy.

Ladychips

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2017, 12:12:00 PM »
I'd rather be home...sleeping in my own bed and showering in my own shower.  My husband and I don't travel well together so that's not a high priority for us.  That being said, I have a few people that I love to be with.  And if they want to go somewhere, I'm all in.  And when we do go, I have a fabulous time.  So for me, travel isn't so much about the place I go as the people I'm with. 

JoshuaSpodek

• Bristles
    • Leadership, values, meaning, purpose, importance, passion
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2017, 01:39:00 PM »
Learning how much flying pollutes changed everything for me.

When I realized that flying coach round trip to LA or Europe put me near or over the limit of what a person is alloted to keep below 1.5 - 2 degrees Celcius for a year, not to mention all the other pollution jet fuel and traveling causes, I gave myself a challenge: no flying for at least 365 days. Everyone has his or her values and I'm not saying what anyone else should do, but I value taking responsibility for how my actions affect others.

One of the best choices I've ever made in my life! I'm nearing month 16 and expect to extend it as long as I can.

Choosing to live by your values pays off more than anything else. At first I thought it would be hard, and it was, but it got easier as I found ways to explore different cultures and cuisines, create adventure, and get all I used to get from traveling without polluting.

I no longer feel like I'm avoiding traveling so much as enjoying where I live, the way homo sapiens did for most of our 300,000 year history.

Here are a couple pieces I wrote about it:
http://joshuaspodek.com/365-days-flying-definition-impossibility
http://www.inc.com/joshua-spodek/365-days-without-flying.html

Among the benefits:
- Community and connecting with people near me
- Increased ability to find and create experiences I like
- Increased ability to find and create emotions I like
- Learning to cook with local ingredients more
- More time with family
- Less dependence and craving things outside my control
- and more

... oh yeah, saving money.

I recommend trying it. Had I not experienced the personal growth, I wouldn't have believed it. I'm amused how people think it's impossible or get angry about it, but that's their business.

Round trip NYC-Paris coach:

Round trip NYC-Shanghai coach:

Round trip NYC-Shanghai first class:

Source for graphs
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 01:43:13 PM by JoshuaSpodek »

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2017, 06:43:54 PM »
Nope, not me.  I love to go new places, breathe new air! 

But I have a co-worker who says, "I didn't buy a house so I could leave it." He is genuinely unhappy when his wife plans even a weekend away.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2017, 06:52:04 PM »
Learning how much flying pollutes changed everything for me.

I just decided not to breed. There is no amount of travelling that can come anywhere near to that choice for reduction of environmental impact.

On the travel front one great thing about FIRE is you have lots of time off so you can drive or fly and spend 2-3-4 months in an area amortizing both the cost and environmental impact over many more days of travel.

vittelx

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2017, 12:55:41 AM »
I like to go on shot trips 2-3 times a year for 2-4 days. DW is the same thankfully. I am from Scandinavia so most European capitals are 2-3 hours away by plane. We will go to Rome/Paris/London etc. see the sights, eat some good food, breathe in the atmosphere and go home.

That was before we had kids anyways. I think for the next few years untill they are older we will rent a vacation house for a week or so each summer. I cant imagine the horror of going to a big city with two toddlers - they are EVERYWHERE! :)

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2017, 02:51:28 PM »
I love road trips. I've driven across the US twice and I'd do it again in a minute. I also like having a base somewhere and making day trips. Beyond that, I really don't like traveling. I hate flying and I'd be happy if I never had to do it again.

SimpleGuy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2017, 09:21:37 PM »
I'm not into short term travel either, primarily because of the environmental and financial costs, but also because of the logistical headaches.  I’m considering teaching English abroad or slow travel when I'm FIRE because the costs are usually less as Retire-Canada mentioned.  But I'm not sure if it's something I really want to do or I've been brainwashed by mass media that it’s something I should do.  I'm a homebody so it may not suit me.  Probably only one way to find out. 

gggggg

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2017, 11:14:44 PM »
I'm not a big traveler, even though I have the means and perfect schedule to do so. I do it on my company's dime occasionally, but if I'm paying, no thanks.

A Definite Beta Guy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2017, 08:31:14 AM »
Hmmmm, well, it's all relative. I like to do a bit of travel. Some of my friends apparently travel internationally several times a year. This looks like a huge waste of time and funds. I wouldn't have that much time to travel, even if I was fully FIRE'd, because I have a lot of family I'd prefer to see.

There's also other things I'd like to spend my money on. I do not need to see Costa Rica, India, Sri Lanka, Thailand, and Korea all in the same year.

I'm definitely feeling the travel bug again, but I'd like to go to a National Park, sit in a gateway city like Gatlinburg, and go on some day hikes. I could probably kill a week doing that. Last thing I did was visit Miami for a few days in the spring, which was nice....albeit expensive due to the champagne tastes of my travel companions (eating out every night at luxury restaurants).

I also do not enjoy flying and find it expensive. There's more stuff I'd prefer to do on my house first.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2017, 09:08:06 AM »
I'm not a big traveler, even though I have the means and perfect schedule to do so. I do it on my company's dime occasionally, but if I'm paying, no thanks.

When you get accustomed to tacking on some personal time in a random neat city for the cost of hotel points and food it gets hard to spend X,000$ of your own money and take vacation time to go somewhere. 

GetItRight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2017, 02:41:28 PM »
Well I'm all for global warming (I hate cold weather), so for those who enjoy traveling please keep on traveling far and frequently. That being said, I personally don't like to travel much. It's expensive and a lot of work for something so brief (at least for a typical vacation before retirement) and also a fair amount of work to plan although that part can be fun for the few regional trips I do. I prefer to spend my time and money on things, as things keep on giving fun and entertainment for potentially the rest of my life and I can use on a daily or weekly basis. This is a far better "ROI" for me than a week or two in some faraway place.

Spitfire

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2017, 05:34:53 AM »
I've noticed that I don't care to travel just to "see" things (mountain view, monument, etc). I go to my hometown once a year to spend time with my old friends, but if they all lived close by I wouldn't need to go. If I enjoyed doing something that I couldn't do where I live (skiing, for example) I'm sure I would travel so I could do that. I just went to Boone, NC with some friends, and while it was nice, it mostly would have been the same to me if I had gone to their house 5 days in a row to hang out. If I were to travel when I FIRE, it would probably be a longer term to immerse myself in a different culture. The sight seeing type of travel is not my thing.     

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2017, 05:47:00 AM »
I'm not a big traveler either.  Given the choice, I'd rather spend the money making my house a nicer place to be.

I don't always hate it and I suspect once we are retired we will do more of it.  As it is now, dh is a teacher, so any travel is limited to school vacations.  I like summer where I live and am happy to enjoy it in place.  If we have to travel during other school vacations, airfare is much more expensive and places are more crowded.  Once we are retired and can go any time, we will take the occasional trip.  I do not like driving, so long road trips aren't appealing to me.

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2017, 06:57:14 AM »
I'm not wild about travelling, it often turns into a stress-fest. When I'm on vacation, the last thing I want is to be rushed, have to wake up early, plan everything, etc.  Luckily, as I've gotten a bit older and more experienced, I've gotten better at recognizing the signs of a potentially stressful vacation and putting in countermeasures before the money is spent and I'm miserable. 

We did have an awesome vacation last summer though where we stayed in a cabin off the grid in Arkansas for a few days.  We had to park in a field and take a four wheeler in to get to it, which was a bit tricky with a stream crossing. We then had a few great days of sleeping in, skinny dipping in a crystal clear creek, drinking cold beers, cooking meat and hiking on the trails in the area. 

...sit in a gateway city like Gatlinburg,

lol, have you been to Gatlinburg?  Its the Myrtle Beach of the mountains.  Worst place I've ever intentionally traveled to. I've never actually been stuck in traffic in the mountains on the way to a hike before visiting Gatlinburg.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2017, 07:40:09 AM »
I love travel. Prior to my arrival, my parents lived overseas, and they and my brother got the opportunity to travel all around Europe. My father hitchhiked over Europe when he was a teenager and his dad was stationed overseas. When my parents retired, they made it a point to travel and expose me to travel, and some of my best childhood memories are of traveling. It's something my family values and it's something I prioritize.

A Definite Beta Guy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2017, 08:11:00 AM »

...sit in a gateway city like Gatlinburg,

lol, have you been to Gatlinburg?  Its the Myrtle Beach of the mountains.  Worst place I've ever intentionally traveled to. I've never actually been stuck in traffic in the mountains on the way to a hike before visiting Gatlinburg.
Yup, I've been to Gatlinburg a few times! I usually leave quite early in the morning when I am day-hiking, so I haven't experienced the traffic personally. I've definitely seen pile up. Heading in on a weekend is impossible...that stretch of Pigeon Forge is just something surreal. 3 or 4 cracker barrels on the same road?

Jane

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2017, 09:20:33 AM »
Yes. The packing, the getting to and from, the unavoidable discomforts, all not for us at this time. I find it more trouble than it is worth. I love the comforts of home and the area we live. Maybe this will change once we are both retired and not raising a small child. Who knows.

I think one reason many people love to travel is they want to get away from whatever it is they don't like about their life. Travel forces them to be in the moment and present, wherever they are, and with whatever they are doing. They think they can only have that feeling while traveling, so it becomes almost an addiction, because it feels awesome to be truly present. What many don't realize is it is a much greater joy to learn to be present and content all the time, in your current life. It's much harder to do, but so much more rewarding if achieved.

I realize there are other very valid reasons to travel of course, but I see this a lot with people I know IRL in they way they perceive traveling.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2017, 09:31:58 AM »
It's not really for me. I hate flying, not fond of driving (love trains though!). I have pretty bad anxiety, and I'd rather not go too far out of my comfort zone. Husband doesn't really like travel either. We never even had a honeymoon--it just wasn't a priority.

That said, I would (and do) travel to visit my far-flung Internet friends. And there are a few places (Iceland, Japan, Ireland) I'd love to visit at some point. I do want to go on a cruise at some point and maybe one of those all-inclusive Caribbean island vacations (Sandals et al.). But that's about it.

privatevoid

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2017, 09:35:24 AM »
Same here! I usually don't feel a great desire to travel. My parents did me a favor by traveling with me a lot as a child, but I think they also racked up some debt doing so, so I'm pretty much done with traveling until FI. I've had the amazing fortune to see other parts of the world already, I'm good for now.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2017, 09:46:49 AM »
I'm torn lately about travelling. I used to love it, but now I love being at home too.

I hate airports, border crossings, security, etc. I don't like driving too much, but I don't mind being a passenger on long trips at all, to me that's part of experiencing a place. (Lucky for my my boyfriend enjoys driving a lot, and for long distances). Freeways and heavy traffic areas excluded of course!

If I'm honest with myself, lately I think I enjoy the planning stages of travel just as much or more than the actual travel. The planning is fun, the actual transportation part is terrible, the being somewhere new is good, with sprinkles of phenomenal, and occasional periods of mundane/homesick/exhausted.

However, I really love experiencing other places. Once I'm there I enjoy other cultures, scenery, and people immensely and often it makes me appreciate what I have at home more too. Coming from a small very northern community where everyone is the same I think it's really important for me to get some perspective on other people in the world, lest I become a prejudiced fearful redneck like my neighbors (referring to my small town, not the more diverse city in which I currently live, though my city is still not at all diverse on a global scale).

NewPerspective

• Stubble
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2017, 10:01:04 AM »
Me!!  I really don't enjoy traveling.  I didn't grow up traveling. Ever. But, I was lucky enough to visit some very cool places in my 20's (Southern African and Egypt) and I lived abroad in my 30's.  I'm 40 now and honestly, I just can't be bothered with it.  Expensive, stressful and I absolutely HATE flying.  We generally fly about once a year to visit DH's family and I'd rather not do that if I could get away with it.

I feel like saying you dislike traveling is akin to saying you hate puppies.  EVERYONE seems to love to travel these days (it seems like such a trendy thing to travel, I know it didn't used to be this way.  I didn't grow up with money but when I think about who I knew as a child, I can't think of anyone who traveled). I understand that people find it to be a great way to broaden horizons, see other cultures, etc.  I don't know, I know those things are true but I tend to think people are the same world over and wherever you go, there you are.  At least that has been my personal experience.  Course maybe I only have this perspective since I was lucky enough to do some traveling. 

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2017, 10:08:46 AM »
Me!!  I really don't enjoy traveling.  I didn't grow up traveling. Ever. But, I was lucky enough to visit some very cool places in my 20's (Southern African and Egypt) and I lived abroad in my 30's.  I'm 40 now and honestly, I just can't be bothered with it.  Expensive, stressful and I absolutely HATE flying.  We generally fly about once a year to visit DH's family and I'd rather not do that if I could get away with it.

I feel like saying you dislike traveling is akin to saying you hate puppies.  EVERYONE seems to love to travel these days (it seems like such a trendy thing to travel, I know it didn't used to be this way.  I didn't grow up with money but when I think about who I knew as a child, I can't think of anyone who traveled). I understand that people find it to be a great way to broaden horizons, see other cultures, etc.  I don't know, I know those things are true but I tend to think people are the same world over and wherever you go, there you are.  At least that has been my personal experience.  Course maybe I only have this perspective since I was lucky enough to do some traveling.

I think that's particularly true here.  Want to replace your decrepit living room furniture with something modestly attractive and comfortable?  Consumerist sucka.  A little judicious duct tape will get you another 5 years out of that sofa, but not too much cause duct tape isn't free you know.

Want to take a vacation traveling through a different continent?  You really have your priorities in order.

I get that the road to happiness isn't paved with stuff, but I spend most of my time in my home, and having it look decent and be comfortable does bring me joy.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2017, 10:27:38 AM »
I feel like saying you dislike traveling is akin to saying you hate puppies.

lol! yes.

I feel "safe" saying I'm not into it only because I can provide the "backpacked a bunch of years through various parts of the world and regularly relocate" schtick. Otherwise I get the stink eye haha.

And Pigeon, yup! I have no idea why travel is an exception here.

Me, I'm just "you do you, I do me." So if a person loves travel, go for it! But those of us who don't aren't necessarily shy, boring, nonadventurous, weak, uncultured, fearful, xenophobic, lacking curiousity, etc. Some of us just get super filled up where we are!