Author Topic: NOT into travel?  (Read 9632 times)

Missy B

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: NOT into travel?
« Reply #100 on: June 30, 2017, 02:57:10 PM »
I think one reason many people love to travel is they want to get away from whatever it is they don't like about their life. Travel forces them to be in the moment and present, wherever they are, and with whatever they are doing. They think they can only have that feeling while traveling, so it becomes almost an addiction, because it feels awesome to be truly present. What many don't realize is it is a much greater joy to learn to be present and content all the time, in your current life. It's much harder to do, but so much more rewarding if achieved.

I realize there are other very valid reasons to travel of course, but I see this a lot with people I know IRL in they way they perceive traveling.

(Gah! I need to stop reading through these threads so quickly. I keep missing really good points.) This post right here speaks volumes, imo. In fact, I wrote something very much like this in my journal, the one I keep IRL, when I was trying to sort out my own reasons for not being into travel like so many of my friends and family. I tried to determine what it is that constant travelers are searching for abroad that they can't discover at home, especially my friend who becomes frantic when she doesn't have a "major" vacation planned each year.  She's an extreme extrovert and it took years before I could make her understand that I actually enjoyed staying at home, lol, whereas she becomes anxious and antsy when faced with four walls and her own company.  Maybe it comes down to being an introvert vs extrovert thing after all?

I think there's something to that. Extroverts have an easier time, and benefit from, meeting new people all the time.

And I very much agree with the previous point about people who travel to get away from their life. I've had to explain this repeatedly to people, that I don't need to spend $1000 to 'get away' for a week... what I need is to not have to answer the cell phone, check email, track appointments and other's expectations of how I should spend my time. I like where I live and the life I'v created, and I like to be able to enjoy my garden, hobbies, and apartment when I have a stretch of time for myself.
And it's interesting, too, how often people assume you're available if you're 'in town' when they wouldn't bother you if you were 'out of town'.

So I don't travel much now. One flight since 2001, 25 minutes duration to Vancouver Island. When I finally retire, I'd like to do some slow travel, with loose plans to get to Europe by cruise ship which, starting from Canada's west coast, will probably take 2+ weeks. I hope to arrive well-rested and partially time-adjusted.

Someone had made a comment about modern travel being a pointless exercise, and I get what he was pointing at. When travel is used well it creates not just experiences, but connection. I think real connection to other people and places -- where you change each other a little or a lot, is an important reason to travel. Travel used for escape or distraction or competition is a poor use and and completely unworthy of the oil it takes to make it happen. (Not justifying the C02 for better uses either, just saying)
There's a lot of connection-less 'tick it off the list' bragging rights tourism everywhere; it was a big issue in Europe with the Da Vinci Code tours, and I certainly see it here in Vancouver BC. (The worst is Wreck Beach, and I'm surprised more tourists don't fly home with broken noses).

DeanHedlund

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #101 on: June 30, 2017, 04:48:46 PM »
Oh we love to travel and we do that a lot, business or leisure. Approaching 100 countries and counting. I think we are often excited about new experiences, places, cultures, foods, people, animals...We plan to do slow travel once we retire. And based on the research, health care can be a lot cheaper in many countries.

Icecreamarsenal

• Bristles
  • Set me free
« Reply #102 on: July 14, 2017, 09:51:08 PM »
Well, that opens up a whole different debate - not everyone is "outdoorsy" and wants to see the scenery. "If you've seen one tree, you've seen them all..." and all that.

[NB - I personally enjoy seeing the view, but don't really want to do a great deal of sweating or freezing, so I'm more of a spectator of the outdoors. But I've known people who really only enjoyed cruise vacations or shopping.]
That's true. The reasons people travel are going to be vastly different so their responses to different places will be different. To me, who totally understands the not liking to travel thing and never went anywhere on vacation when working (not enough time, too much hassle and expense, etc...), I see vast differences between most places whether cultures, architecture, nature, eactivities I can do, etc..and find it all pretty fascinating.

I have hiked PNW rain forests and the NM desert and kayaked the everglades and while clearly different nature is still just nature - rain jacket vs sun hat, same basic deal.  I have wondered around many big cities on four continents and they are all very similar, the biggest differentiator seems to be how useful English is.  I was also an exchange student in HS.  People are basically people - slight variations on the settings but same basic OS.  Please understand I have had great fun in many places.  I know I am very forchinate to have traveled half as much as I have but maybe I just see the spectrum of what is out there as being smaller that others.

Maybe I just need more brussels sprouts or am especially jaded lately, or need to hit FI so that a proper level of relaxation can sink in deep into my bones over an extend trip to see what 'travel people' see.

Or maybe I dont see any challenge or uniqueness in most all places people talk about going to.  With the cc in my wallet and my US Passport I could be in 98% of the the worlds midsized citys by Sunday morning with little more effort than sitting on an airplane-drink in hand.  Few years back I was looking at going to North Korea; it seemed like one of the very few places that is truly different.  It also would have taken some work and some self discipline to obey the rules while in country so many I need challenge too?  The might have happened but some expenses came up.

Alan, you've hit on something to which I've given a lot of thought. A place that might feel "exotic" to us is no big deal to the people that live there all the time. I happen to live in the suburbs of an historic city, but it still seems funny to me that anyone would go to the trouble and expense of booking a flight and then staying in a hotel room for a week in order to wander around said city. I take day trips there myself, but as a travel destination it just seems kind of lame, lol. I wonder if Parisians, Berliners, Londoners, etc. feel the same way. "Eh? What's the big deal? It's just another big city with museums, restaurants, and other attractions." I realize mine is an extreme view, but it's valid in its own way.

As a native New Yorker, I can speak for New Yorkers: most of us don't take it for granted, and realize how special it is.  It may be true of Parisians, Berliners, Londoners, Tokyoans, Rio de Janeirans, Moscovites, etc.
*Forchinate?  C'mon man.

AlanStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: July 15, 2017, 12:44:09 PM »
As a native New Yorker, I can speak for New Yorkers: most of us don't take it for granted, and realize how special it is.  It may be true of Parisians, Berliners, Londoners, Tokyoans, Rio de Janeirans, Moscovites, etc.
*Forchinate?  C'mon man.

meh.  Funny how spelling something phonetically is wrong and noteworthy.  Sorry but honestly I have better things to do than triple check behind my learning disability in some BS forum post.  If a word does not get a red underline there is literally a 2% chance I will see a phonetic misspelling, it is just not something I see.  Why that did not get flagged I have no clue.  But that Gold Star you earned on a 5th grade spelling test is finally paying off!
Be the person Mr. Rogers knows you can be.

Icecreamarsenal

• Bristles
  • Set me free
« Reply #104 on: July 15, 2017, 03:05:57 PM »
*Forchinate?  C'mon man.

meh.  Funny how spelling something phonetically is wrong and noteworthy.  Sorry but honestly I have better things to do than triple check behind my learning disability in some BS forum post.  If a word does not get a red underline there is literally a 2% chance I will see a phonetic misspelling, it is just not something I see.  Why that did not get flagged I have no clue.  But that Gold Star you earned on a 5th grade spelling test is finally paying off!

How unfortunate you chose to respond this way.  More than likely the Gold Star you didn't earn on the 5th grade spelling test has held you back more than you'll ever know.  Not the way I want it, just how it is.  Let's end the light-hearted ribbing back and forth here.

AlanStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #105 on: July 15, 2017, 05:00:21 PM »
How unfortunate you chose to respond this way.  More than likely the Gold Star you didn't earn on the 5th grade spelling test has held you back more than you'll ever know.  Not the way I want it, just how it is.  Let's end the light-hearted ribbing back and forth here.

You think I am unaware of how my life has been affected by this?  I cant spell, I am not dumb.  One of the biggest things in life it has held me back from doing is posting more in online forums for the very reasons that are being demonstrated now. 

Be the person Mr. Rogers knows you can be.

jooniFLORisploo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #106 on: July 15, 2017, 07:06:03 PM »
Ouch.

AlanStache, thanks for speaking up about LDs. I hope you'll feel comfy posting here eternally. (I have a pretty severe LD myself. It just happens to not impact spelling. My fancy spelling marks didn't do much for me in navigating the rest, though!)

Cassie

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #107 on: July 16, 2017, 01:38:46 PM »
I have known some very intelligent people with no LD that still can't spell well. Sometimes spell check does not flag something it should.  I have always been a great speller and don't know why.  But Math not so much:))

whatupjeffy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #108 on: July 16, 2017, 08:34:11 PM »
I like travelling. Maybe you have not found a wonderful place where intrigues you to travel. I like staying at home a lot. However, many people have that moment when you want to leave far away and experience new thing. World is wide so i want to travel around and experience more things before i die

Lmoot

• Bristles
« Reply #109 on: July 17, 2017, 06:44:43 AM »
I like traveling, I just don't like to do a whole lot when I travel. I like to see the sights, but I'm not so much in group touring, or doing excursions, or participating in local festivals or customs, or "going out" (I carry my introvertness with me). I just like to walk; whether that is down the street, through markets, go for a hike, through museums. I just like the casual exploration.

My ideal vacation would be an extended trip on the Orient express. Just looking out of the window, sipping coffee or tea or cocktails, eating good food, and going out to stretch my legs during stops. I just like to observe and be quiet. And I can do that here at home too. I enjoy finding ways to make my home base like a little sanctuary for myself and just try to generally live a peaceful existance wherever I am.

MoMan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #110 on: July 17, 2017, 09:10:23 AM »
I feel grateful that my favorite place in the world is my backyard/garage wood shop. I think if you offered me a choice between a 3-week all-expenses-paid, luxury vacation to Europe or a 2-week uninterrupted stint in the garage, I would choose the latter. I tend to view vacations as hassles; especially when it involves air travel. I have grown to despise flying, mostly because of all the regulations, coupled with increasingly hostile/entitled behavior of fellow travelers. I resent having to stand in lines for virtually everything. And the requisite lines increase exponentially with international travel (we just got back from Havana, Cuba).

I guess I cured my travel bug when I graduated college. My older sis offered me a backpacking trip thru Europe in exchange for rebuilding her fence and deck over the summer. I spent 9 weeks alone wandering western Europe in 1988. It was a good adventure, but I was ready to return home.

When I announced to my wife my desire to RE at 55, she said she could be supportive as long as I could still afford the occasional trip with her. So that is one of the prices I must pay. And it really isnít the financial price that I mind so much. Right now, I am still working full time, so taking trips cuts into my garage goofing off time. As soon as we leave home, I canít wait to get back home! But once I retire, I should get my fill of unlimited garage time, so perhaps I wonít mind the time away as much.
"He is richest who is contented, for content is the wealth of nature."

BFGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #111 on: July 17, 2017, 09:33:25 AM »
I always enjoy learning something new when I travel, but it's not really something I seek out.  I wouldn't mind exploring some more of the US when I'm retired.  When I go on a "vacation" these days, part of me wishes I had just stayed home and enjoyed my time at home which I don't get nearly enough of, but I'm not always going on "vacation" for me, but for others.  Going to plan more "staycations" in the future.

Madame Butterfly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Un bel di, vedremo ... early retirement for DH
« Reply #112 on: July 17, 2017, 04:53:31 PM »
My ideal vacation would be an extended trip on the Orient express. Just looking out of the window, sipping coffee or tea or cocktails, eating good food, and going out to stretch my legs during stops. I just like to observe and be quiet. And I can do that here at home too. I enjoy finding ways to make my home base like a little sanctuary for myself and just try to generally live a peaceful existance wherever I am.

A kindred spirit! This, too, would be my ideal vacation, notwithstanding the trouble of actually getting there. I also try to do what I can to make my home my sanctuary; not so easy, however, when your next-door neighbor is fond of setting off random fireworks and other neighbors are fond of zooming through the neighborhood on their motorcycles.

I guess it's not so much that I don't like traveling per se, but the hassles involved just aren't worth it to me. If someone else would make ALL the arrangements and get me to my destination, and as long as no airports are involved, and not too much driving, then maybe I'd be more inclined, lol.

mm1970

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #113 on: July 18, 2017, 10:45:08 AM »
I have grown to despise flying, mostly because of all the regulations, coupled with increasingly hostile/entitled behavior of fellow travelers. I resent having to stand in lines for virtually everything.

Ah yes, the wonders of flying.  My family hates road trips too (except me).

We are soon heading out on a trip on a plane.  The worst is the nickel-and-diming.  So I had my spouse check our tickets - and yes, we have seat assignments on the way out, and even in the same row!

But not the way back.  If we want seat assignments, or to choose our seats, that will be $33 please.  Each. For 4 of us. There aren't that many seats left.

Eh, no thanks.  Yes, I am betting pretty strongly that
1.  They will seat us together.  If they don't:
2.  Nobody is going to want to sit next to my 5 year old for two hours.
3.  Within 5 minutes of sitting next to my chatty 11 year old, who can talk video games for HOURS, non-stop, I'll have plenty of offers to switch!

Samuel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #114 on: July 18, 2017, 11:45:43 AM »
I'm a confirmed introverted homebody, but I also really enjoy traveling. I'm fairly comfort seeking by nature so I consider it a valuable form of "strategic discomfort" that forcibly expands my boundaries in beneficial ways. I find I need to make myself plan a trip or two a year to keep myself from sinking too far into routine ruts.

I could see myself getting my fill of travel at some point, though. I got a late start (didn't leave western North America or travel for business until my 30's) so while I've traveled a decent amount over the last 8 years it likely won't go on at this rate indefinitely.

I think I may be more tolerant of the annoyances of travel than most, though. Flying doesn't bother me much (although flights over 8 hours can do it). I have a passive mode I slip into when things are arranged and all I need to do is be a leaf being swept downstream, and that's why you keep your kindle stocked up.