Author Topic: Anybody else NOT into travel?  (Read 28530 times)

Samuel

• Pencil Stache
Re: NOT into travel?
« Reply #100 on: July 18, 2017, 11:45:43 AM »
I'm a confirmed introverted homebody, but I also really enjoy traveling. I'm fairly comfort seeking by nature so I consider it a valuable form of "strategic discomfort" that forcibly expands my boundaries in beneficial ways. I find I need to make myself plan a trip or two a year to keep myself from sinking too far into routine ruts.

I could see myself getting my fill of travel at some point, though. I got a late start (didn't leave western North America or travel for business until my 30's) so while I've traveled a decent amount over the last 8 years it likely won't go on at this rate indefinitely.

I think I may be more tolerant of the annoyances of travel than most, though. Flying doesn't bother me much (although flights over 8 hours can do it). I have a passive mode I slip into when things are arranged and all I need to do is be a leaf being swept downstream, and that's why you keep your kindle stocked up.

Larsg

• Stubble
Re: Anybody else NOT into travel?
« Reply #101 on: October 25, 2017, 01:02:34 AM »
My wife and I used to love it. Then we had corporate jobs where we were on the road 60%+ of our lives for years...no more. Now that we are grounded and work from home, we revel in the beauty of simple days and learning to enjoy all the things around us in driving distance. We are lucky that we live in an area where we have lots of nature, the sea, etc though we could be content here we think forever w/out taking another flight.

No desire to travel any more. This may change but enjoying where we are right now.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
Re: Anybody else NOT into travel?
« Reply #102 on: October 25, 2017, 05:11:45 AM »
I like the idea of travelling -- seeing new places, new scenery/nature, eating new foods.

I hate the logistics of travelling -- trying to catch your flight/train/bus,having your flight delayed, pushing and shoving through crowds at the airport,  being herded like sheep on group tours, trying to communicate with people who don't speak the same language, getting lost, waiting in airport lounges, eating crappy food while waiting in airport lounges, losing luggage, dragging heavy suitcases or backpacks around, jet lag...it's all just so exhausting and stressful.

I really have to weigh whether a location is worth the extreme hassle. Right now, only Australia and New Zealand make the cut for me.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!