Author Topic: NonMustachian Confessions....How do you splurge?  (Read 24376 times)

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
Re: NonMustachian Confessions....How do you splurge?
« Reply #100 on: April 07, 2018, 10:10:36 AM »
I've been splurging on my sport shooting hobby a little bit lately.  Instead of carrying the rifle around in the cardboard box it arrived in (with the chamber lock on it and the bolt locked in a separate little transport case I have) I splurged on a real carrying case.  Also picked up a scope to use instead of just using iron sights.  Tried to order some spare magazines too so I can enter another class of shooting event at my local range but unfortunately even standard capacity magazine seem to have a run on them right now due to the political climate, so are backordered with estimated multiple month waits for manufacturing to catch up...

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #101 on: April 07, 2018, 03:05:31 PM »
I looked at C7 Corvettes today.

omg. So pretty.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #102 on: April 07, 2018, 03:42:07 PM »
I spend around 90 euro 3 times a year to get my hair cut and colored - not mustachian at all but I'm not willing to give this up.    Our biggest splurge though is airline tickets to see family overseas.  110% worth it IMO.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #103 on: April 07, 2018, 04:04:03 PM »
Just got foil highlighting at the hairdresser and with tip cost $156.00. Will get a keratin treatment on Tuesday and that is another $115 plus tip and gotta buy some special shampoo and conditioner too. So I figure another $50 on top of the $115.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #104 on: April 07, 2018, 07:08:49 PM »

omg. So pretty.

Wait till GM does there 20% off + incentives at the end of the year and scoop up a Z06

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #105 on: April 07, 2018, 08:45:04 PM »
A decent burr grinder so we can brew with freshly ground coffee every morning.

Well-made (often expensive) shoes/boots. I bought a pair of Frye boots for $250 5 years ago. I treat them with leather cream a couple of times during the winter and will send them to be resoled if winter ever ends this year. They are hands-down the most comfortable boots I’ve ever owned, and they still look good. I expect to have them for at least 5 more years (hopefully longer). I rarely buy shoes so I prefer to spend on quality.

Yarn. I’m a knitter and previously had a bad habit of buying pretty, sometimes expensive natural-fiber yarn even if I didn’t have a project in mind. I’m getting much better at having at least a vague idea of what I want (sweater, hat), waiting for a good sale, and buying the rough quantity needed for the project.

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #106 on: April 07, 2018, 09:57:05 PM »
I love my fancy sunscreen!  I don't mind paying a good deal more for it. 

I'm not sure if bras count as "non-mustachian." It seems debatable . I'd been cutting corners on bras for a couple years, but I just got a good new one and I regret waiting as long as I did.  I struggle to find anything that fits me for under about $70, but I expect I'll be buying a few more soon.

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #107 on: April 08, 2018, 06:32:48 AM »
I get a deep tissue massage every other month.  Relaxing and since i’m An endurance athlete, really helps with soreness.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #108 on: April 08, 2018, 05:07:09 PM »

omg. So pretty.

Wait till GM does there 20% off + incentives at the end of the year and scoop up a Z06

New is too much for me, at least optioned the way I want it (2LT w/Z51) and the C7 Z06's have overheating problems if you push them hard.  I did find a 2015 (2LT, Z51, NPP exhaust, 7MT) for $42,500 private party (MSRP'd $70k, probably sold for $60-62k) and I'm sorely tempted.  I think the biggest depreciation hit has been taken already and I could grab the sweet spot of used.  My MR2 Turbo consumed over $23k over the last ten years (maintenance and modifications and I did not track everything, so could easily be $25k+), so Corvette-levels of depreciation would be about what I'm accustomed to paying to keep the MR2 going. Plus having warranty for a bit would be lovely.

Throwin Darts

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #109 on: April 08, 2018, 10:01:06 PM »
My passion is the outdoors and my dream has always been to own my own ranch to hunt, fish and enjoy time with family. I purchased 640 acres a year ago at 35 years old. The expense has been pretty staggering and extremely non mustachian but the feeling I get pulling through the gate is worth every penny.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #110 on: April 09, 2018, 12:37:22 AM »
My passion is the outdoors and my dream has always been to own my own ranch to hunt, fish and enjoy time with family. I purchased 640 acres a year ago at 35 years old. The expense has been pretty staggering and extremely non mustachian but the feeling I get pulling through the gate is worth every penny.

Wow, I can imagine!

We're definitely not yet at the point in life where we can afford to own a property with land, but buying a place like yours is the ultimate goal for me.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #111 on: April 09, 2018, 07:31:39 AM »
My splurge is to buy expensive beer (if I like the type)  whenever it is on sale. Can get some great deals that way. Almost never buy the expensive beer at full price. Seems way to high to me, IMHO. My everyday beer is $12.29 for a 30 pack of 12 ounce cans, and tastes good to me.

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #112 on: April 09, 2018, 01:00:23 PM »
My splurge is to buy expensive beer (if I like the type)  whenever it is on sale. Can get some great deals that way. Almost never buy the expensive beer at full price. Seems way to high to me, IMHO. My everyday beer is $12.29 for a 30 pack of 12 ounce cans, and tastes good to me.

Beer prices outside of Ireland make me want to cry a little bit. That's marginally over ten euro for thirty cans; here, I'd be astonished to find a drinkable beer for anywhere even close to treble that price.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #113 on: April 09, 2018, 01:14:51 PM »
I love my fancy sunscreen!  I don't mind paying a good deal more for it. 

I'm not sure if bras count as "non-mustachian." It seems debatable . I'd been cutting corners on bras for a couple years, but I just got a good new one and I regret waiting as long as I did.  I struggle to find anything that fits me for under about $70, but I expect I'll be buying a few more soon.

Sometimes you can find discounted new bras (including new-with-tags) in non-standard sizes on eBay. I have a really small ribcage (i.e., US manufacturers don't make bras in my size) and I don't think I've paid full price for bras in several years, thanks to eBay.

JimLahey

• Stubble
« Reply #114 on: April 09, 2018, 07:33:04 PM »

That is one of my dreams. Finding private spots to hunt around here isn't very easy unless you want to pay for an expensive lease. Luckily my brother bought some land last year that I can hunt. Although the three hour drive there sucks.

We've been splurging lately on eating out. I finally got my wife to eat sushi and now she wants it as much as I do. Too bad good sushi costs us about $50 with a tip. We decided to limit ourselves to it once a month. Other splurges of mine are fishing/hunting related stuff. I'll also pick up an Xbox game once in a while to add to my backlog.

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #115 on: April 10, 2018, 07:19:23 AM »
I splurge on organic, and really good food for cooking. My restaurant budget is about $30 a month, which is maybe 1.5 meals in my town...so I cook everything from scratch, and it makes me so happy to have all of the ingredients I want, and all of them are the best quality. I know I could have a smaller food budget, but I care too much about food quality, and it makes me happy to know I'm putting good food in my body. I compete at a decent level in endurance sports, and I really tribute feeling strong and healthy to eating super well. I know I could save an extra $150 a month if I didn't care, but it's not worth it!

Saving4Fire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #116 on: April 10, 2018, 08:55:52 AM »
My wife and I are DINKs so we've hired a dog walker and a cleaning person.   I also have a pretty high pain tolerance for spending money on vacations.

No regrets. 

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #117 on: April 10, 2018, 01:16:09 PM »
The long-dormant Catholic in me feels like I should confess my sin here...for our anniversary, my wife and I went to a Michelin-starred restaurant and went for the tasting menu. WITH WINES. Well over two hundred euro gone, and I don't regret a penny. I don't have the requisite skills to cook a single one of the courses we ate, and even if I did it'd cost me a fortune to source all the ingredients (where does one even buy ten grams of smoked eel, anyway?) One of the most spectacular meals I've ever eaten, and I have no problem with the idea of working to a slightly later retirement date in order to be able to afford our annual extravagance.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #118 on: April 10, 2018, 02:50:18 PM »
Got my hair done today for a Keratin treatment. Treatment, trim and a bottle of special shampoo and conditioner with tip cost $172.00. Last week I had foils done and that was around $150. WHEW! I don't do this often so I don't care! I worked and saved for retirement and so be it if I spend once and a while!

ScreamingHeadGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #119 on: April 10, 2018, 02:57:59 PM »
I will go to the convenience store close to work on Wednesdays to purchase lunch.  (On Wednesdays their burgers, pizza slices, and/or sandwiches are "special" priced at $1.). I know I could make the same thing cheaper at home, but this seems like such a "treat" to have it for lunch...at work.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 03:19:19 PM by ScreamingHeadGuy »

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #120 on: April 10, 2018, 03:31:37 PM »
ScreamingHeadGuy, what a great find! You should buy a bunch of stuff and freeze it! You could have it more often! Pull it out of the freezer and take to work for lunch more days than just Wednesday!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #121 on: April 10, 2018, 09:12:48 PM »
-Travel
-Kids sports
-Nice wine. We rotate between the Costco cheap kind, and a local vineyard that is *amazing*. We also limit wine drinking to the weekend, so we try & keep things in check
-Massages. I can get an hour deep tissue massage at work for $30. It's an amazing deal, and I do tip, but try to get them every 6-8 weeks. I have lupus, so this helps with some of the aches & pains.

exige

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #122 on: April 11, 2018, 01:27:19 PM »
I get a deep tissue massage every other month.  Relaxing and since i’m An endurance athlete, really helps with soreness.

I just started this but im doing it once a month and mainly for the endurance athlete reasoning... I cant seem to make it through a season without injury hope it helps!

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #123 on: April 12, 2018, 02:37:45 AM »
I spent $30 on e-books this week. I spend about €100 on physical and e-books every year. I have a library card to the local university library, but I don't have a regular library card. Library subscriptions are not cheap in my country and I seem to get fines all the time because I'm terrible at remembering to return them. I do try to buy used books if I buy physical copies and if I'm not going to read a book again, I sell it or give it away.

Mrs. Healthywealth

• Bristles
« Reply #124 on: April 12, 2018, 02:57:09 PM »
House (repairs and interior design); repairs are a splurge bc like another poster I chose a mid century house that hadn’t been updated (ideal since most modern updates are horrific).

Our house (also) midcentury modern, was our huge splurge. It came upgraded. No plans to ever sell it. Have to keep my desires to tear down walls and add more square footage in check.

Living life in moderation on the way to FIRE

facepalm

• Bristles
« Reply #125 on: April 12, 2018, 07:16:14 PM »
I just bought a $600 sleeping bag. Western Mountaineering bag. One of the best you can buy.

I backpack a bit. The bag should last 20 years.

Darn, when I amortize it, it's not much of a splurge. RATS!

My other splurge is a KTM 1190 Adventure motorcycle. Rode it today.

DouglasFir

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #126 on: April 12, 2018, 10:58:34 PM »
Alcohol, oh-oh, alcohol! I splurge on craft beer, whiskey, and rum, both at home and at the new Jazz bar that opened in my town recently. I've decided going to the bar 1-2 times a week to have 1-2 drinks and listen to free live music is a necessity for me. It helps me to maintain some kind of social life here in this isolated town which allows me to continue to live in this LCOL area thus furthering my early retirement goal. Home beer budget is about $87 per month, bottle of whiskey or rum about $25 every 3 months, bar visits are about $60-$120 per month.

I also splurge on fancy natural toothpaste. $10 for a 3 ounce jar. It is the Cadillac of toothpaste! Worth every penny. My teeth have never felt so strong and it does a great job of whitening without harsh ingredients. The flavor is also absolutely delicious. Falling asleep with the sweet taste of natural wintergreen and clove lingering in my mouth is awesome! I estimate 1 jar will last me about 3 months, based on what I've used so far. :)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #127 on: April 13, 2018, 07:34:00 AM »
Alcohol, oh-oh, alcohol! I splurge on craft beer, whiskey, and rum, both at home and at the new Jazz bar that opened in my town recently. I've decided going to the bar 1-2 times a week to have 1-2 drinks and listen to free live music is a necessity for me. It helps me to maintain some kind of social life here in this isolated town which allows me to continue to live in this LCOL area thus furthering my early retirement goal. Home beer budget is about $87 per month, bottle of whiskey or rum about $25 every 3 months, bar visits are about $60-$120 per month.

I also splurge on fancy natural toothpaste. $10 for a 3 ounce jar. It is the Cadillac of toothpaste! Worth every penny. My teeth have never felt so strong and it does a great job of whitening without harsh ingredients. The flavor is also absolutely delicious. Falling asleep with the sweet taste of natural wintergreen and clove lingering in my mouth is awesome! I estimate 1 jar will last me about 3 months, based on what I've used so far. :)

@DouglasFir - can you share the name of the toothpaste?

jjandjab

• Stubble
« Reply #128 on: April 13, 2018, 07:45:54 AM »

Craft beer definitely my weakness, especially when I live in western MA and I work in Vermont. Last week I bought some beer for myself and my buddy - is was $162.50 for two cases of beer from the Alchemist (48 16oz cans), including the fabled Heady Topper. Also just went to Hill Farmstead in VT and spent about $90 on some growlers and cans. So average cost is about $4 per serving. So about 10x the cost of your usual, hahaha. 

As a quick aside for the beer folks - if I have to say it, the Alchemist stuff is good, but honestly alot of other breweries have caught up and perhaps surpassed. But Hill Farmstead beer continues to be just out of this world amazing, every single time.

DouglasFir

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #129 on: April 13, 2018, 09:05:11 AM »

@DouglasFir - can you share the name of the toothpaste?

Yes, it's Uncle Harry's Fluoride Free Peppermint flavor. Available from Amazon. Not for the faint of heart. There is some salt taste and the essential oils are STRONG! Definitely opens your nasal passages every time you brush. Not everyone might like it, but I happen to love it! It has 4 1/2 stars rating and over 1200 reviews, though, so I am not the only one. :)

Livingthedream55

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #130 on: April 13, 2018, 11:07:06 AM »
I pay for lawn mowing and a Spring cleanup plus I pay for someone to plow the driveway (it's the same landscaping service that does it all).

When I downsized I decided to buy a small house (rather than a condo) but pay for the exterior maintenance tasks that I don't want to do!

With a savings rate of 60%, I am fine with outsourcing the jobs I don't want. I am super frugal in plenty of other areas.

YHD

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #131 on: April 15, 2018, 06:39:15 AM »
Botox

Everything else is a need

MrUpwardlyMobile

• Pencil Stache
    • The Upwardly Mobile Life
« Reply #132 on: April 15, 2018, 06:49:55 AM »
We have a 2017 Toyota Tundra with a rooftop tent, put 18k miles on it in the last 12 months with 3 months of travel and moving across the country. So 2018 mileage will be quite a bit lower.

Also have 72 month loan on it at 1.75%! But invested $ is higher so it doesn't bother me. I will likely breakdown and pay it off early.

I’ve never paid more than 0% interest on an auto loan.  Once you have 800+ credit, they should just be willing to give you stuff for 0%.

MMMarbleheader

• Bristles
« Reply #133 on: April 15, 2018, 07:12:27 AM »
Bridge player/enthusiast here.  I play quite a few tournaments every year, which involves lots of travel and hotels.  Costly.  But it's my passion/hobby.  Occasionally I'm hired to play and/or my travel/food expenses are covered by the client, which at least subsidizes some of my costs.  I'm close to FI and own my own business/work form my laptop so I have the flexibility to do this.  Bridge is a scary addictive hobby, and tends to be extremely popular in the retired affluent crowd.

I live in Marblehead Ma and I was always fascinated by the articles chronicling Peter Lynch's wife and her bridge playing.

I am paying for my daughter to learn how to play squash. We are lucky to be the only YMCA in the USA to have courts and a pro. It was rated as one of the best 30min workouts

Long game we are driving distance to 3 of the best women's prep programs in the country if she gets good at it.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 07:20:33 AM by MMMarbleheader »

pab88

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #134 on: April 15, 2018, 04:35:20 PM »
I just bought a second-hand titanium road bike (Lynskey R230 for bike people) for 2000AUD. It's an upgrade from the 850AUD bike I bought brand new in 2008 (much lower spec), when I first started cycling.

I crashed the older bike this week and was annoyed at waiting for replacement shifters I ordered, as I'm going to fix it myself. So it was somewhat of an impulse buy, but also super-delayed gratification as I've held off buying a nicer bike for almost 10 years.

I'm car-free and commute nearly 100mi/160km a week so I will get use out of it. Just went for my first proper ride and its everything I wished for. So much more responsive and smooth over the bumps.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #135 on: April 16, 2018, 08:23:32 AM »
We have a 2017 Toyota Tundra with a rooftop tent, put 18k miles on it in the last 12 months with 3 months of travel and moving across the country. So 2018 mileage will be quite a bit lower.

Also have 72 month loan on it at 1.75%! But invested $ is higher so it doesn't bother me. I will likely breakdown and pay it off early.

I’ve never paid more than 0% interest on an auto loan.  Once you have 800+ credit, they should just be willing to give you stuff for 0%.

That's new only, I assume?  I've never seen 0% on a used car before.

MrUpwardlyMobile

• Pencil Stache
    • The Upwardly Mobile Life
« Reply #136 on: April 16, 2018, 10:29:07 AM »

I’ve never financed a used car so I suppose my knowledge base is limited in that regard.  If you’re going used, it’s best to pay it out of cash on hand.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #137 on: April 16, 2018, 10:39:54 AM »

I’ve never financed a used car so I suppose my knowledge base is limited in that regard.  If you’re going used, it’s best to pay it out of cash on hand.

Why?  I have 1.99% on a used car and that's better than market returns, and cost me far less in interest than a few months worth of depreciation on a new car. ;)

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #138 on: April 21, 2018, 10:59:56 AM »
Splurged for lunch Thursday.   I normally take lunch to work, but on Thursday, I went to a restaurant for BBQ brisket with a couple sides and a drink - was almost $10 with tax.  I rarely do that, but on occasion, I loosen up a little.