Author Topic: No Matter What ________ Costs No Substitute Is Acceptable  (Read 26434 times)

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
Re: No Matter What ________ Costs No Substitute Is Acceptable
« Reply #150 on: January 13, 2020, 09:21:34 AM »

Motorbiking clothes: top quality racing gloves and custom made leathers.
Quite literally a second skin,  no alternative comes close.

I miss my Tourmaster racing gloves with the studded heel.  Probably kept me from breaking my wrist after doing "The Superman" after a highside.

Yikes! Street or track?

I have the high-quality gauntlets, but still lusting after the full leathers. Holy moly they're expensive.

As for the thread, my mind instantly went to Heinz ketchup. I laughed when I say it was the FIRST response. So I will go with Continental Gatorskins on my road bike. They are the best, ever.

Track.  If you track your bike, you have no choice, you WILL have full leathers. My track suit lasted 10 seasons, and very much looks it. The suit did save me from thousands of dollars from abrasions and body slams.

Roboturner

• Pencil Stache
  • No Snacks, Just Math
« Reply #151 on: January 13, 2020, 09:28:28 AM »
Red Wing Boots - I get them resoled until they fall apart.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #152 on: January 13, 2020, 03:29:51 PM »
And yet, the $300 mattress we bought from Amazon is amazingly comfortable...

Good find! I chose my mattress because a friend had that one. I stayed over at her place (just nights) for a week so her 18/19 year old sons couldn't have a party. Her mattress blew my mind.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #153 on: January 13, 2020, 03:50:10 PM »

Tell me more. We're shopping now but it's hard to know what online information to trust...

Same. I looked up the one the frugalwoods recommend but it is enough really poor reviews to make me hesitate.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #154 on: January 13, 2020, 04:22:20 PM »

Tell me more. We're shopping now but it's hard to know what online information to trust...

Same. I looked up the one the frugalwoods recommend but it is enough really poor reviews to make me hesitate.

DW and I have been pretty happy with this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006L9VANK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Personally I prefer the 6", but DW likes the softer 8" version and it's not too soft for me. We've had the 8" for about 2-1/2 years now.

I built a platform for it with a headboard that included fancy modern features like a reading light and USB chargers... Still way less than buying a basic frame and platform.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #155 on: January 13, 2020, 04:23:09 PM »

The Lucid one? We bought that one two years ago and like it, but quality may have gone down as the mattress became more popular.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #156 on: January 13, 2020, 05:18:39 PM »
DW and I have been pretty happy with this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006L9VANK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1
Don't you just love it when a product is 'Amazon's Choice for "[listing title]"'. So helpful.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #157 on: January 13, 2020, 08:05:08 PM »
I usually ignore the “amazon’s choice” flag.

alienbogey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #158 on: January 14, 2020, 09:58:20 PM »
Funnily (word?) enough for the guys discussing leathers I'm typing this sitting in my new to me Vanson Leathers track suit.  What an incredible quality difference over my first set of leathers!  The reason I'm sitting in them is that, being Mustachian I got them off eBay  for 20% of new and they're just a little tight.  Most of the tightness is gone after wearing them around the house in the evenings for a few weeks and before long they'll be perfect.

Other things very worth their non-Mustachian price tags:

Genuine maple syrup
Darn Tough socks
Micro brew
High quality firearms
Quality green coffee beans to roast at home
Quality tools

There are more but I'll stop.

Back to the motorcyclists:  Airbag system for street and track.  Mine has deployed 3 times and it makes a big difference.  A buddy decided not to wear his expensive electronic system because it was "just" a small bike on a kart track and he won't  make that mistake again. 

nirodha

• Stubble
« Reply #159 on: January 15, 2020, 09:27:18 AM »
- Dr. Tung's or Coco Floss. These have grit and don't shred themselves between my teeth and they just do a better job overall of flossing. I can't just use regular string floss, they don't seem to grab anything...
- I can't use any toothbrush that doesn't have the extra long fine bristles (e.g. the nimbus, gum 'deep clean,' or equivalent) because those work better for removing plaque especially below the gum line and other bristles are too harsh anyway.

This is a game changer. I gave some Dr. Tung's a try based on the thread. I can see it works better.

A electric toothbrush is one of mine. Sonicare has been good to me, cut my time with the dental hygienist in half.

Whisky - there's a floor. A $15 bottle of bourbon (looking at you Evan Williams) won't cut it. Around $25 is good enough. Beyond that, I'm paying for amusement. A $150 bottle of 18 year old scotch isn't 6x better than a $25 bottle of Maker's.

Wireless, noise cancelling headphones. I splurged on these last year and am never going back. The ability to block out everything at will is fantastic.

Ricochet

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #160 on: January 15, 2020, 09:41:47 AM »
__Bike lock. Better get a good one if you want to keep your bike. Also bike maintenance, I personally didn't change my chain out because I wanted to save money, and it broke mid-hard-pedal and I crashed big time. Learn from my mistake. Invest in safety, like:
__Motorcycle gear. Don't be a cheapskate if you want to keep your skin.
__Call liquor.  If you drink rail (no-name brand) you are inviting a bad time. Spend the extra 1-2 bucks a drink and feel a'ight the next day.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #161 on: January 15, 2020, 11:05:38 AM »
__Bike lock. Better get a good one if you want to keep your bike. Also bike maintenance, I personally didn't change my chain out because I wanted to save money, and it broke mid-hard-pedal and I crashed big time. Learn from my mistake.
Not maintaining your chain also adds extra wear to your gears, making you replace those (more expensive) parts more frequently.

As far as bike lock goes there are two types of bike thefts: crimes of opportunity and targeted theft. You can't get a bike lock that would stop a thief determined to steal your bike; so don't bother trying, just get a lock that is good enough that the thief looking for a crime of opportunity moves on to something else. This generally means using a U-lock to secure the frame to a fixed object, but higher end U-locks don't really provide more practical protection. You also may need to be concerned about how easy it is to steal parts off your bike.

habanero

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #162 on: January 17, 2020, 12:09:04 AM »
When I had a really fancypants mountain bike it was located one of two places: Just under my butt or in storage indoors. It was definately in the "I would like to steal exactly that bike" category and I treated it as such.

For my previous commute with outdoor parking I used a pretty cheap bike where anyone looking for a fine steal would pick another one. Now that we have indoor bike parking at work with several layers of locked doors on the way I park my mid-range bike at work. In the rare event of a breakin my ride would be quite far down the list anyway - there are some pretty high-end bikes parked there.

The most annoying thing that has happened to me is that someone stole my seat and only the seat. It was the seat of my cheap bike so guess someone just really needed a seat.

The_Big_H

• Stubble
« Reply #163 on: January 17, 2020, 07:20:16 PM »
I am anal about my underwear undershirts and socks... basically ALL the same brand and style for the last 10-15 years..

Only Roundtree & yorke (dillards) V-necks or wifebeaters and knitted boxer briefs.
Polo Ralph Lauren cotton socks: tan, green, navy blue.  I have some white ones from a different brand I bought like 20 of (a lifetime supply)... you don't have to hunt through the sock drawer for the 2nd one, match by color and go.

Oh, and shoes.  I try to buy the same exact made/model of shoe over and over again as I wear them out.  Particularly expensive are the $125 dunham boat shoes, and $100 ecco Yucatan sandals.  Finding shoes that fit is a nightmare I have a 6-E wide foot.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 07:23:37 PM by The_Big_H »

imadandylion

• Stubble
« Reply #164 on: January 21, 2020, 11:47:17 AM »
- Dr. Tung's or Coco Floss. These have grit and don't shred themselves between my teeth and they just do a better job overall of flossing. I can't just use regular string floss, they don't seem to grab anything...
- I can't use any toothbrush that doesn't have the extra long fine bristles (e.g. the nimbus, gum 'deep clean,' or equivalent) because those work better for removing plaque especially below the gum line and other bristles are too harsh anyway.

This is a game changer. I gave some Dr. Tung's a try based on the thread. I can see it works better.

A electric toothbrush is one of mine. Sonicare has been good to me, cut my time with the dental hygienist in half.

Whisky - there's a floor. A $15 bottle of bourbon (looking at you Evan Williams) won't cut it. Around $25 is good enough. Beyond that, I'm paying for amusement. A $150 bottle of 18 year old scotch isn't 6x better than a $25 bottle of Maker's.

Wireless, noise cancelling headphones. I splurged on these last year and am never going back. The ability to block out everything at will is fantastic.

Woohooo, glad you gave the Dr. Tung's floss a go! I actually looking forward to flossing at the end of the day because it works so well.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #165 on: January 21, 2020, 12:00:42 PM »

Good find! I chose my mattress because a friend had that one. I stayed over at her place (just nights) for a week so her 18/19 year old sons couldn't have a party. Her mattress blew my mind.

Wait until you find out that . . . a mattress is not necessary for sleeping!  In fact, they often cause more problems than they solve.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #166 on: January 21, 2020, 12:55:13 PM »

We bought a Lucid for our bed, but a Zinus for the spare room, and I like both of them. (I had surgery last year and couldn't sleep comfortably for months and months, and was highly motivated to try new mattress options.)

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #167 on: January 21, 2020, 01:17:41 PM »
Vitamix blenders! I am a daily smoothie maker, and before I got my Vitamix, I burned through a blender in about 3 years. (And yes, I tried all different kinds, yes I researched thoroughly.) It was painful to shell out for the Vitamix at first, but it's not only the best blender I've ever used, it's also been going strong for over 10 years, with no issues along the way.

Somewhere in the archives is a very heated thread on the forum about Vitamix blenders. You would do well to keep this secret to yourself before word gets out :)

DaMa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #168 on: January 21, 2020, 02:25:08 PM »
Vitamix blenders! I am a daily smoothie maker, and before I got my Vitamix, I burned through a blender in about 3 years. (And yes, I tried all different kinds, yes I researched thoroughly.) It was painful to shell out for the Vitamix at first, but it's not only the best blender I've ever used, it's also been going strong for over 10 years, with no issues along the way.

Somewhere in the archives is a very heated thread on the forum about Vitamix blenders. You would do well to keep this secret to yourself before word gets out :)

Ooooh, I've heard about that, but never seen it.  Apparently Dicey and sol had quite the disagreement.

Gremlin

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #169 on: January 21, 2020, 04:28:21 PM »
I find this thread bizarre...

*Wanders off to check where peanut butter sits in Maslow's hierarchy*

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #170 on: January 21, 2020, 06:57:59 PM »
I find this thread bizarre...

*Wanders off to check where peanut butter sits in Maslow's hierarchy*

hahahhahahhahahha. Up near self actualisation for many, apparently

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #171 on: January 22, 2020, 08:40:18 AM »
I am struggling to find something that I would not be willing to substitute for.  I have a bunch of brands and stuff I prefer, but I'm always willing to try something cheaper to see if it works well enough for what I need.  I think the only things that fit in the "over my dead body" category are:

1.  My acupuncturist/sports medicine therapist.  She keeps me able to move and go to the gym and be healthy.  And the older I get, the more I realize I can't take that for granted.

2.  My shoe inserts from the running store.  I spent years with foot issues and podiatrists and all that.  The inserts were magical (and about 1/4 the price of the custom-made orthotics the podiatrist was going to send me to -- so I guess they really are the "substitute" if you think of it that way). 

3.  My thyroid and depression medicines.  Happy with generics, but I'm not doing without, because life is just not enjoyable without them.

Now, if you want to talk fancy-pants stuff that I like and treat myself to and prefer to all other things, that's a bigger category -- good tea, Plugra only for pie crusts, my Shun santoku knife, milk and butter from the local dairy, taleggio and real parmigiano reggiano, fresh ricotta and homemade jam on fresh bread for breakfast, the Athleta leggings I got from my dad, my car, etc. etc. etc.  But all of those things are luxuries -- enjoyable largely because I know I don't actually need them and so enjoying them is a special treat.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #172 on: January 23, 2020, 08:58:07 AM »
Ooooh, I've heard about that, but never seen it.  Apparently Dicey and sol had quite the disagreement.
Since Sol left the forums, spendypants blenders don't get nearly as many face punches. I get Sol's argument, but I still also love my Vitamix and would likely buy it again.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #173 on: January 23, 2020, 09:31:11 AM »
SHUUUUUUUN the non-believer!

halftimeprof

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #174 on: January 26, 2020, 05:48:56 PM »
Peet's French Roast Coffee.  Brewed as strong as possible.

Anon in Alaska

• Stubble
« Reply #175 on: January 27, 2020, 01:23:07 AM »

I have never seen that brand [Adams]. It appears to be available in-store only in certain regions (not mine). I am intrigued, especially as there is a "no-stir" version.

Adams No-Stir peanut butter is the best peanut butter I have ever had. $4.49/1 lb jar (unless on sale)here in Anchorage at my local Carrs (Safeway) store. The smooth is easy to find but the Crunchy (best) kind is hard to find. For the best price I would try your local WalMart first, but they carry only the smooth.

It is:
1) No sugar
2) does not separate (well maybe a little if the jar is six+ months old, but I go through over a pound a week)
3) tastes good

A set of three one pound jars is currently $22.15 on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Adams-NO-STIR-Natural-CREAMY-PEANUT/dp/B00IT94SRA/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=adams+no+stir+peanut+butter&qid=1580113206&sr=8-1

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #176 on: January 27, 2020, 06:00:58 AM »
Quilted northern toilet paper.  I refuse to use the tree bark stuff.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #177 on: January 27, 2020, 07:01:48 AM »

I have never seen that brand [Adams]. It appears to be available in-store only in certain regions (not mine). I am intrigued, especially as there is a "no-stir" version.

Adams No-Stir peanut butter is the best peanut butter I have ever had. $4.49/1 lb jar (unless on sale)here in Anchorage at my local Carrs (Safeway) store. The smooth is easy to find but the Crunchy (best) kind is hard to find. For the best price I would try your local WalMart first, but they carry only the smooth.

It is:
1) No sugar
2) does not separate (well maybe a little if the jar is six+ months old, but I go through over a pound a week)
3) tastes good

https://www.amazon.com/Adams-NO-STIR-Natural-CREAMY-PEANUT/dp/B00IT94SRA/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=adams+no+stir+peanut+butter&qid=1580113206&sr=8-1

That’s a big markup on Amazon, and we wouldn’t go through 3 lbs quickly enough for it not to go rancid (learned that the hard way). It isn’t sold at Walmart or anywhere else near me, as per Adam’s own website.

Next time I’m on the west coast, though, I will try to grab a jar.

KBCB

• Stubble
  • Burning to Fire
« Reply #178 on: January 27, 2020, 10:47:34 AM »
For oatmeal I only use Quaker. The other brands just don't have the same texture.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #179 on: January 27, 2020, 01:33:39 PM »

A few days ago I heard a report about about the size of coffee grinds.

Their size is determinative of how flavorful  the coffee is.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 01:40:24 PM by John Galt incarnate! »

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #180 on: January 27, 2020, 01:57:32 PM »

A few days ago I heard a report about about the size of coffee grinds.

Their size is determinative of how flavorful  the coffee is.

Yes, and it really depends on how you are brewing it.
Espresso requires fine, and French Press requires coarse. Depends on how long the grounds are exposed to the water.

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #181 on: January 28, 2020, 09:15:45 AM »

Wait until you find out that . . . a mattress is not necessary for sleeping!  In fact, they often cause more problems than they solve.

OK, I'll bite. Do you sleep on the floor? Bed of nails?

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #182 on: January 28, 2020, 11:00:08 AM »

It is:
1) No sugar
3) tastes good

Do you have a Costco membership? They sell Adams crunchy in 5 pound jars at the store on Debarr. I do have to stir it but my 20v DeWalt does a great job and keeping it in the fridge keeps it from separating back out again. If you're not in the Anchorage area, some Three Bears stores used to carry that size as well, but I haven't figure out how they decide how much to mark up their Costco products. Somethings are almost the same and some are double the price. 

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #183 on: January 28, 2020, 11:21:27 AM »
Bought some peanut butter for the first time in years, based on this thread......

EngagedToFIRE

• Bristles
« Reply #184 on: January 28, 2020, 03:35:00 PM »
I agree with the person who said "real peanut butter,"- we get ours made locally from a small store.  I'll still use the sugary mass produced stuff for baking, but prefer the real stuff for eating straight.

Also, the cheese thing.  I'm cheap frugal as heck, but I'm not putting "parmesan" on my food.  Only Parmigiano-Reggiano that I grate myself.

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned it yet, but for us, the one brand we won't compromise on is Tesla.  I know other brands are becoming less pathetic, but we just aren't going to buy a Nissan Leaf or a Chevy Bolt.

I was actually going to comment Parmigiano-Reggiano, I ain't eating parmesan, then found it funny a few already discussed it.  I will, however, go with American brand tomatoes over San Marzano DOP.

I'd also add olive oil.  And really, nobody should be buying cheap olive oil.  It's rancid, disgusting crap that has none of the health benefits of a quality oil.  It's not possible to produce and sell a bottle of EVOO for $4.99 (it's not REALLY extra virgin, it's probably heavily refined, and from sources all over the place).

That said, I actually prefer my Bolt over the Model 3... I know, crazy.  Model 3 has no XM, no Android Auto, and we love the unlimited LTE hotspot on the Bolt for our kids to enjoy their tablets on longer car rides.  I also like having $25k extra in my stash :)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 03:46:34 PM by EngagedToFIRE »

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #185 on: January 28, 2020, 05:30:56 PM »
It's okay to have a sense of humor.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #186 on: January 28, 2020, 06:36:26 PM »

🤔 🤨 Has our lordt and saver Internet Pete sanctioned a sense of humour??

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #187 on: January 28, 2020, 07:32:14 PM »

🤔 🤨 Has our lordt and saver Internet Pete sanctioned a sense of humour??

Ha, the post to which mine was meant as a response seems to have disappeared.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #188 on: January 29, 2020, 11:27:32 AM »

Floor.  Way better than a bed.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #189 on: January 29, 2020, 11:30:45 AM »

Those are the words of a person with good knees. ;-)

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #190 on: January 29, 2020, 12:10:57 PM »

I'd also add olive oil.  And really, nobody should be buying cheap olive oil.  It's rancid, disgusting crap that has none of the health benefits of a quality oil.  It's not possible to produce and sell a bottle of EVOO for $4.99 (it's not REALLY extra virgin, it's probably heavily refined, and from sources all over the place).

I never used olive oil for its flavor.

I prefer canola oil especially for fried potatoes.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #191 on: January 29, 2020, 01:31:00 PM »

I rarely sleep on my knees - that might be what's causing your problems.  :P

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #192 on: January 29, 2020, 02:08:55 PM »

I rarely sleep on my knees - that might be what's causing your problems.  :P

LOL - but seriously, it's hard enough to get out of bed with less than bendy knees, getting up off the floor is not something I'd tackle first thing in the morning at this point in my life!

We did sleep on a mattress - which someone else was throwing away - on the floor for about the first 10 years of our marriage, but I'm hoping not to do it again.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #193 on: January 29, 2020, 06:04:01 PM »
  • Cheese
  • Butter
  • Bicycles
  • Coffee
  • Firearms

Quite possibly in that order.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #194 on: January 30, 2020, 11:51:17 AM »

Adams No-Stir peanut butter is the best peanut butter I have ever had. $4.49/1 lb jar (unless on sale)here in Anchorage at my local Carrs (Safeway) store.

Do you have a Costco membership? They sell Adams crunchy in 5 pound jars at the store on Debarr. I do have to stir it but my 20v DeWalt does a great job and keeping it in the fridge keeps it from separating back out again. If you're not in the Anchorage area, some Three Bears stores used to carry that size as well, but I haven't figure out how they decide how much to mark up their Costco products. Somethings are almost the same and some are double the price.

The version they sell at Costo is not the no-stir version, it is the natural version. It will separate unless you refrigerate them. I hate refrigerated peanut butter, it will not spread properly. I tried microwaveing it to get it soft enough to spread, but then it separated in the refrigerator. I hate separated peanut butter. Who wants to eat a sandwich with some bone dry peanut butter and some peanut butter that is so oily that it is disgusting (and won't even stay in my sandwich).

I will gladly pay the extra  $5 per week.

Apparently people who want peanut butter without sugar but not "natural" are a very small percentage of the market.
[/quote]

Fair enough. It is a pain to spread refrigerated peanut butter. I think the costco brand is no sugar and no stir, but it doesn't taste the same as Adam's so I went back to the refrigerator.

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #195 on: January 30, 2020, 07:32:53 PM »

Behind the wheel.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #196 on: January 30, 2020, 09:03:15 PM »

If I was on the opposite side of sol, I don't really recall that it was particularly heated. I don't have one, after all.

The_Big_H

• Stubble
« Reply #197 on: February 13, 2020, 07:27:49 PM »
  • Cheese
  • Butter
  • Bicycles
  • Coffee
  • Firearms

Quite possibly in that order.

On the firearm bit, one place to NOT skimp is the optics.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #198 on: February 26, 2020, 08:25:53 AM »
Trader Joe’s Organic Ketchup
Kewpie Mayo
Bulldog Sauce
Olay Regenerist Moisturizer
Wella Hair Color

Everything else can get traded out. I will do Hellman’s for mixing (chicken salad and the like when you need a lot) but where it gets squeezed (sandwiches, fries, etc.) it’s Kewpie. TJ’s Ketchup is absolutely fantastic, has a Worcestershire-taste that I haven’t found anywhere else.

MaybeBecca

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • To be able to one day live exactly as I'd like.
« Reply #199 on: May 27, 2020, 09:09:31 AM »
Organic Sugar and Organic Molasses for me - In the US, the conventionals often use bone char in their processing, and I don't like that.

Lots of talk of peanut butter on this sub, but nobody making their own?  I have a Vitamix so it's pretty easy (even though mine's getting on in age and sometimes overheats - oops! but they are much cheaper now and I will replace like with like when it dies), and it stays spreadable and doesn't separate if I keep it in the fridge.