Author Topic: No Matter What ________ Costs No Substitute Is Acceptable  (Read 26503 times)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
Re: No Matter What ________ Costs No Substitute Is Acceptable
« Reply #100 on: December 27, 2019, 11:21:18 AM »
Deodorant. I finally found a "natural" brand that works and doesn't cause my armpits to break out in a red, angry-looking, painful rash. Cheaper options and all antiperspirants have failed on either one or both counts. I'm completely willing to spend $10 per tube, especially since the tubes last for several months.
This was what came to mind for me.  I started having allergy problems, and deodorant took me a long time to find a new replacement.  Mine's pretty cheap, but may not work for you:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078QJKWP7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks. Unfortunately, the active ingredient in anti-perspirants is one of the things that makes me break out in a rash, and a lot of the alcohols in gel deodorants cause an eczema flare-up (my skin is often a jerk). Native and Schmidt’s deodorants are the only ones that have worked decently well without causing skin issues.
I found Schmidt's Charcoal and Magnesium at Costco and I love it! Not sure if it was a one-off or if they carry it regularly, but it was a screaming deal.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #101 on: December 27, 2019, 11:37:15 AM »
Deodorant. I finally found a "natural" brand that works and doesn't cause my armpits to break out in a red, angry-looking, painful rash. Cheaper options and all antiperspirants have failed on either one or both counts. I'm completely willing to spend $10 per tube, especially since the tubes last for several months.
This was what came to mind for me.  I started having allergy problems, and deodorant took me a long time to find a new replacement.  Mine's pretty cheap, but may not work for you:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078QJKWP7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks. Unfortunately, the active ingredient in anti-perspirants is one of the things that makes me break out in a rash, and a lot of the alcohols in gel deodorants cause an eczema flare-up (my skin is often a jerk). Native and Schmidt’s deodorants are the only ones that have worked decently well without causing skin issues.
I found Schmidt's Charcoal and Magnesium at Costco and I love it! Not sure if it was a one-off or if they carry it regularly, but it was a screaming deal.

I will check when I go next week! That stuff is amazing and even holds up under stage lights and my polyester choir dress.

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #102 on: December 27, 2019, 01:52:17 PM »
- Mountain bikes/gear for mountain biking
- Hoka shoes

That's about all I can think of. I have other things I own that I feel are high quality, I've purchased them over many years of saving specifically for them,  and they were expensive, and I love them, but I'm not sure I would say "no matter what it costs, I will always buy these things." Examples are my MacBook Pro, Blundstone boots, Sonicare toothbrush, organic produce, etc. I love all of those things and they have all been worth the expense, but I wouldn't buy a MacBook if it was $5k, it's just not that important. If a Sonicare was $200 I probably would not have purchased it. If I lived somewhere that did not have relatively inexpensive access to organic produce, I'd be just as happy with conventional if that's what I needed to fit into my budget.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #103 on: December 27, 2019, 03:02:24 PM »
Thought of another one - Sterns brand immersion suits. They make a small that actually fits *gasp* women.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #104 on: December 27, 2019, 04:22:07 PM »
I think there are very few things that I would buy regardless of cost.

If I Can Afford ________ No Substitute Is Acceptable

^

After reading your post a few days ago I realized that this should have been the title of the thread.

I decided though not to change the title.

I doubt Mu$tachian$ would pay $1000000 for a jar of Jif or pound of butter.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #105 on: December 28, 2019, 10:03:06 AM »
I'd vote FOR your proposed change.  It is properly Mustachian.   See if anyone notices the title swap.

Panly

• Stubble
« Reply #106 on: December 28, 2019, 12:18:35 PM »

No need for changing it, it was clear from the start.

foghorn

• Stubble
« Reply #107 on: December 28, 2019, 12:54:28 PM »
As an audiophile, my Bryston (electronics) and Von Schweikert (speakers) equipment have been a worthwhile expense.  So much better than the mass produced stuff at the big box stores. 

Quality sound is so much better. 

PaulMaxime

• Bristles
  • Absolute power doesn't corrupt, it reveals.
« Reply #108 on: December 28, 2019, 01:24:34 PM »
I'd vote FOR your proposed change.  It is properly Mustachian.   See if anyone notices the title swap.

Sorry, not a fan of changing people's titles because you don't think they are mustachian enough. We don't need the MMM thought police, thank you very much.

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #109 on: December 28, 2019, 01:33:35 PM »
I agree with the person who said "real peanut butter,"- we get ours made locally from a small store.  I'll still use the sugary mass produced stuff for baking, but prefer the real stuff for eating straight.

Also, the cheese thing.  I'm cheap frugal as heck, but I'm not putting "parmesan" on my food.  Only Parmigiano-Reggiano that I grate myself.

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned it yet, but for us, the one brand we won't compromise on is Tesla.  I know other brands are becoming less pathetic, but we just aren't going to buy a Nissan Leaf or a Chevy Bolt.

PaulMaxime

• Bristles
« Reply #110 on: December 28, 2019, 01:47:27 PM »
I agree with the person who said "real peanut butter,"- we get ours made locally from a small store.  I'll still use the sugary mass produced stuff for baking, but prefer the real stuff for eating straight.

Also, the cheese thing.  I'm cheap frugal as heck, but I'm not putting "parmesan" on my food.  Only Parmigiano-Reggiano that I grate myself.

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned it yet, but for us, the one brand we won't compromise on is Tesla.  I know other brands are becoming less pathetic, but we just aren't going to buy a Nissan Leaf or a Chevy Bolt.

Agree with you on the first two and my Model 3 is the best car I've ever owned by far.

Dee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #111 on: December 28, 2019, 06:33:59 PM »
In Canada, one really popular brand of peanut butter is Kraft (which, apparently, is not available under that brand name in the US). As far as I know, peanut butter is equally popular (and equally sweet) in Canada and the US (but I've only ever lived in Canada). I doubt there would be as many Canadians who are Jif loyalists, though.

For mixing natural peanut butter, a long road trip seems to be a great solution. We use it to give our dog his meds and drove a jar from Ottawa to Quebec City to arrive to a perfectly mixed peanut butter. (I need to remember my own advice and bring a jar of natural peanut butter that needs mixing on every road trip I take!)

Personally, I am no PB or ketchup or mayo purist/loyalist. And while I can certainly tell the difference between maple syrup and table or other syrup, there are times and places where table syrup will do just fine. Ditto butter/margarine.

I certainly have preferences for certain things but I am having trouble coming up with an example of something where I'd rather go without than having to substitute. The current type of bra I am wearing is perhaps as close an example as I can think of but, quite frankly, if it wasn't for sales, I don't even know that I'd keep buying just this type of bra at regular price (approximately $60 a bra), let alone state that "no matter what" this bra costs, no substitute is acceptable. And I'm old enough now not to expect the marketplace to keep providing the product I've grown accustomed to. I know that this company could go under or change its line of products or whatever...and I'd have to find a substitute. (Sadly, going braless would not be an acceptable solution to having to go without this particular type of bra.) So, ultimately, I remain without an example. And, yet, insist on posting this anyway.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #112 on: December 29, 2019, 12:25:13 AM »

And while I can certainly tell the difference between maple syrup and table or other syrup, there are times and places where table syrup will do just fine.

I buy cheap syrup too.

Having read your post  I've just decided I'll have pancakes/syrup/butter  for Sunday  breakfast.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 12:29:09 AM by John Galt incarnate! »

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #113 on: December 29, 2019, 01:20:38 AM »
Real Mayonnaise. BestFood's (Hellman's) mayo is worth paying extra for but I will use another real mayonnaise in a pinch. Miracle whip is an abomination snuck upon innocent children by well meaning Aunts! The important thing is I'm not bitter...
I haven’t made it through the whole thread to see yet I’d this was referenced, so forgiveness if this is a repeat.

https://theoatmeal.com/blog/miracle_whip

Lmoot

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal
« Reply #114 on: December 29, 2019, 05:14:36 AM »
V05 Moisture Milks Strawberry conditioner. So good thing it costs less than a dollar per bottle lol. Outside of that I honestly can’t think of anything else. I tend to go with the most economical version for everything else except for clothes and footwear, but even those things I’m willing to buy mid range as long as they are comfortable and some what durable.

Actually, hiking shoes. I love Merrill’s and Oboz which are generally over $100, but I only buy on sale at much less. And hiking socks. Though I must be one of the few who do not care for Darned Tough socks They are too tough for me; not malleable to my foot (They are either too tight or if I go a size up, they feel wide and stiff, like webbed foot. They shrink and constrict when washed, even air dried. And the few pairs I got always had a big bulky seam on them. They are insanely expensive for the amount of hiking socks I go through. I much prefer REI branded socks. I have found a use for them when I do long distance hikes and have to wear my boots: I wear them over my regular merino wool socks, for additional padding and protection of wear from my boots on my REI socks. And bc they are so darned tough, they are good at smoothing over any lumps, bumps, or debris that may occur during a long irncrazy hike.

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #115 on: December 29, 2019, 06:55:52 AM »
Charmin Ultra Strong toilet paper.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #116 on: December 29, 2019, 08:05:58 AM »
Real Mayonnaise. BestFood's (Hellman's) mayo is worth paying extra for but I will use another real mayonnaise in a pinch. Miracle whip is an abomination snuck upon innocent children by well meaning Aunts! The important thing is I'm not bitter...
I haven’t made it through the whole thread to see yet I’d this was referenced, so forgiveness if this is a repeat.

That about sums it up!

I just returned from visiting one of those well meaning aunts... turns out it’s actually her husband who like miracle whip. She just puts butter on her sandwiches. I tried that, it’s definitely better than miracle whip.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #117 on: December 29, 2019, 09:22:01 AM »

Ha! I’m not a huge fan of plain mayonnaise (I don’t spread it on sandwiches), but it doesn’t offend me. I mix it with sour cream or Greek yogurt for curried chicken salad and use it in salad dressings and deviled eggs.

Miracle Whip...no. Just no. My parents used it on their sandwiches and in tuna salad at least once a week when I was a kid, and to this day, I can’t stand the smell. The association is so nauseating that I only eat canned tuna when mixed into a bean salad made with vinaigrette.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 03:49:44 PM by OtherJen »

DaMa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #118 on: December 29, 2019, 03:46:36 PM »
Charmin Ultra Strong toilet paper.

+1

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #119 on: December 29, 2019, 04:47:57 PM »

Ha! I’m not a huge fan of plain mayonnaise (I don’t spread it on sandwiches), but it doesn’t offend me. I mix it with sour cream or Greek yogurt for curried chicken salad and use it in salad dressings and deviled eggs.

Miracle Whip...no. Just no. My parents used it on their sandwiches and in tuna salad at least once a week when I was a kid, and to this day, I can’t stand the smell. The association is so nauseating that I only eat canned tuna when mixed into a bean salad made with vinaigrette.

Without mayo, potato and macaroni salad aren't what they're supposed to be.

Same for tuna fish sandwiches.

They are the only food I'll eat w/ mayo.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #120 on: December 29, 2019, 05:04:19 PM »
I love mayo but at the moment my baby can’t handle any cow dairy or eggs in my diet so I am doing Earth Balance spread on my sandwiches. I’m really looking forward to getting him switched over to formula.

On topic, his formula is one where I am very particular. He can’t do cow and I won’t feed him anything where a first or second ingredient is corn syrup, so I’m importing the stuff from Germany.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #121 on: December 29, 2019, 06:58:02 PM »
On topic, his formula is one where I am very particular. He can’t do cow and I won’t feed him anything where a first or second ingredient is corn syrup, so I’m importing the stuff from Germany.

Seriously? That’s a depressing state for the food industry to be in.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #122 on: December 29, 2019, 07:08:55 PM »

I don't like macaroni salad but totally agree about potato salad. I have a good recipe for vinaigrette potato salad that I make for mayo-haters, but honestly, my MIL makes the best potato salad and definitely uses mayonnaise. (She also makes the best deviled eggs, again, with real mayo.)

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #123 on: December 29, 2019, 07:19:25 PM »

I was really surprised. I had a mustache friend take a snapshot of ingredients from some U.K. formulas and they didn’t have corn syrup in them. I wonder if it is a US fame subsidies thing that leads to corn syrup sneaking its way into just about everything...?

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #124 on: December 29, 2019, 07:21:30 PM »

I was really surprised. I had a mustache friend take a snapshot of ingredients from some U.K. formulas and they didn’t have corn syrup in them. I wonder if it is a US fame subsidies thing that leads to corn syrup sneaking its way into just about everything...?

Yep.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #125 on: December 29, 2019, 07:54:53 PM »

Yep.

Subsidize feeding corn syrup to babies and then worry about how to fund spiraling health care cost...

habanero

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #126 on: December 30, 2019, 07:41:40 AM »
It's well coverend in this good episode of the Freakonomics podcast:

http://freakonomics.com/podcast/farms-race/

If you ever wonder why the U.S.D.A.’s old “food pyramid” — the diagram of recommended servings of different foods — why the biggest category, at the bottom of the pyramid, was “bread, cereal, rice, and pasta,” well, the U.S. had an awful lot of all those foods. And if you ate as the U.S.D.A. instructed, there’s a good chance you put on a few pounds. You can’t think about nutrition without thinking about agriculture policy. And U.S. agriculture came to be driven by financial incentives — incentives that, given how government funding often works, weren’t always entirely sensible.

TIMMER: Economists who don’t do U.S. agricultural policy are usually horrified by what they see in terms of distorting markets — picking, “Okay, corn, soybeans, wheat, you guys get big subsidies. Apples, grapes, fresh fruits and vegetables, you’re on your own.” Dairy — incredibly regulated, both federally and at the state level. Just a mess, just an awful mess.

Industrial meat production, fueled by cheap grain, meant cheap meat, too, and helps explain how the U.S. became one of the world’s biggest consumers of meat, per capita. Today, more than 30 percent of corn and more than 50 percent of soybeans grown in the U.S. goes toward feeding cattle and other livestock. But even that left a lot of surplus production. So what happened?

TIMMER: High-fructose corn syrup. Yep. You’ve got surplus corn and you’ve got a demand for easy, convenient sweetener in the food sector. And that was just a perfect storm. That syrup revolutionizes food processing because instead of a powdery sweet thing, it’s a liquid, and liquids are way easier to handle in food processing.

If I had only one thing to say about the impact of our agricultural programs on what you see in the supermarket and subsequent health issues out of the diet, I would have said the fact that we use so much high-fructose corn syrup — that’s the example of how things can go badly wrong, even if well intended. I mean, don’t get me started on ethanol, because that’s the next step in reducing the surplus. But I don’t want to go there.

DaMa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #127 on: December 30, 2019, 07:47:57 AM »
@OtherJen, I'd love to  see that recipe for vinagrette potato salad.  :-)

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #128 on: December 30, 2019, 08:10:51 AM »

I don't like macaroni salad but totally agree about potato salad. I have a good recipe for vinaigrette potato salad that I make for mayo-haters, but honestly, my MIL makes the best potato salad and definitely uses mayonnaise. (She also makes the best deviled eggs, again, with real mayo.)

My best friend makes a delicious, German-style potato salad.

He puts lots of chopped bacon in it.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 08:16:08 AM by John Galt incarnate! »

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #129 on: December 30, 2019, 08:19:18 AM »
It's well coverend in this good episode of the Freakonomics podcast:

http://freakonomics.com/podcast/farms-race/

If you ever wonder why the U.S.D.A.’s old “food pyramid” — the diagram of recommended servings of different foods — why the biggest category, at the bottom of the pyramid, was “bread, cereal, rice, and pasta,” well, the U.S. had an awful lot of all those foods. And if you ate as the U.S.D.A. instructed, there’s a good chance you put on a few pounds. You can’t think about nutrition without thinking about agriculture policy. And U.S. agriculture came to be driven by financial incentives — incentives that, given how government funding often works, weren’t always entirely sensible.

TIMMER: Economists who don’t do U.S. agricultural policy are usually horrified by what they see in terms of distorting markets — picking, “Okay, corn, soybeans, wheat, you guys get big subsidies. Apples, grapes, fresh fruits and vegetables, you’re on your own.” Dairy — incredibly regulated, both federally and at the state level. Just a mess, just an awful mess.

Industrial meat production, fueled by cheap grain, meant cheap meat, too, and helps explain how the U.S. became one of the world’s biggest consumers of meat, per capita. Today, more than 30 percent of corn and more than 50 percent of soybeans grown in the U.S. goes toward feeding cattle and other livestock. But even that left a lot of surplus production. So what happened?

TIMMER: High-fructose corn syrup. Yep. You’ve got surplus corn and you’ve got a demand for easy, convenient sweetener in the food sector. And that was just a perfect storm. That syrup revolutionizes food processing because instead of a powdery sweet thing, it’s a liquid, and liquids are way easier to handle in food processing.

If I had only one thing to say about the impact of our agricultural programs on what you see in the supermarket and subsequent health issues out of the diet, I would have said the fact that we use so much high-fructose corn syrup — that’s the example of how things can go badly wrong, even if well intended. I mean, don’t get me started on ethanol, because that’s the next step in reducing the surplus. But I don’t want to go there.

I had listened to that podcast a few weeks ago and it was exactly what I was thinking of when I read so many formula ingredient lists and was seeing corn syrup all over the place.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #130 on: December 30, 2019, 08:38:42 AM »

It's this one. The fresh herbs are key.

DaMa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #131 on: December 30, 2019, 08:42:28 AM »

Thank you!  I was hoping it was meatless.  I can use vegetable instead of chicken stock and make it for my vegan DD and DSIL.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #132 on: December 30, 2019, 08:44:48 AM »

Thank you!  I was hoping it was meatless.  I can use vegetable instead of chicken stock and make it for my vegan DD and DSIL.

Yep, that would work just fine.

jlcnuke

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #133 on: December 30, 2019, 10:24:46 AM »
Owning my own scuba equipment, regulators, lights and BC VS trusting rental equipment. I refuse to trust my life to low quality rental equipment that I do not know the maintenance / history of said equipment.

Sure for shallow clear water it might be ok as you have an out but when I am over 100ft, in a wreck with little to no light or deep in a cavern it can be a matter of life or death.

I have a hard time coming up with anything else other than dental work.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

+1

I own my own gear, and service what I'm comfortable/trained to take care of. I'll use it all locally and I travel with my full kit (for the environment I'm in, obviously not diving my drysuit on a liveaboard in the Bahamas...).

Claussen pickles are my food set. No one else makes that particular flavor correctly (including me, and I've tried a LOT).

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #134 on: December 30, 2019, 10:34:32 AM »
Owning my own scuba equipment, regulators, lights and BC VS trusting rental equipment. I refuse to trust my life to low quality rental equipment that I do not know the maintenance / history of said equipment.

Sure for shallow clear water it might be ok as you have an out but when I am over 100ft, in a wreck with little to no light or deep in a cavern it can be a matter of life or death.

I have a hard time coming up with anything else other than dental work.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

+1

I own my own gear, and service what I'm comfortable/trained to take care of. I'll use it all locally and I travel with my full kit (for the environment I'm in, obviously not diving my drysuit on a liveaboard in the Bahamas...).

Claussen pickles are my food set. No one else makes that particular flavor correctly (including me, and I've tried a LOT).

I don't eat lots of pickles but if I buy them I'll only buy Claussen.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #135 on: December 30, 2019, 02:14:36 PM »

So, corn syrup was an ingredient of homemade formula back when it was all homemade - evaporated milk, corn syrup, and vitamins.

Breast milk is really sweet, too.

habanero

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #136 on: December 30, 2019, 02:46:56 PM »
Milk is sweet. It has about 5% sugar in its natural state (as in from the cow)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 12:23:02 AM by habaneroNorway »

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
No Matter What ________ Costs No Substitute Is Acceptable
« Reply #137 on: December 30, 2019, 03:50:01 PM »

So, corn syrup was an ingredient of homemade formula back when it was all homemade - evaporated milk, corn syrup, and vitamins.

Breast milk is really sweet, too.
Yep, breast milk is really sweet, but with lactose not sucrose/glucose.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #138 on: December 30, 2019, 05:34:43 PM »
Is there some evidence that lactose is madly healthier in formula?

Corn syrup, which isn’t the same as modified corn syrup or whatever, predates subsidies for corn.

I honestly cannot speak to any particular ingredient for formula, because I never used formula and while I really think you do what works for you but I’m a little weirded out by all formula but that’s just me, corn syrup is not the ingredient in formula that would give me pause. It’s been in formula since there’s been formula.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #139 on: December 30, 2019, 06:26:15 PM »

Corn syrup, which isn’t the same as modified corn syrup or whatever, predates subsidies for corn.

I honestly cannot speak to any particular ingredient for formula, because I never used formula and while I really think you do what works for you but I’m a little weirded out by all formula but that’s just me, corn syrup is not the ingredient in formula that would give me pause. It’s been in formula since there’s been formula.

Fructose (which pairs with glucose to form sucrose) is metabolized differently than glucose or galactose (which pairs with glucose to form lactose). Excess fructose isn't great. By contrast, lactose is the naturally occurring sugar in milk.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #140 on: December 30, 2019, 10:18:18 PM »

Fructose (which pairs with glucose to form sucrose) is metabolized differently than glucose or galactose (which pairs with glucose to form lactose). Excess fructose isn't great. By contrast, lactose is the naturally occurring sugar in milk.
I’m certainly no expert but formula’s goal is to be as much like breast milk as possible.
Breast milk has lactose as its simple carbohydrate source.

PaulMaxime

• Bristles
« Reply #141 on: December 30, 2019, 10:21:51 PM »

I think regular corn syrup is mostly Glucose, which is better than High-fructose corn syrup which is 55% fructose. Fructose is bad for you because it's only metabolized by the liver and gets converted pretty much directly to fat.

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #142 on: January 11, 2020, 03:39:41 AM »

Agree with you on the first two and my Model 3 is the best car I've ever owned by far.

I rarely get to drive the Model 3, but on the rare occasion when my wife grudgingly lets me drive it, I still find it enthralling.  It's far more fun to drive than anything we've ever owned before.

I'm thinking of putting in an order for the Tesla pickup.

sixwings

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #143 on: January 12, 2020, 07:20:38 PM »
Eggs - Farm fresh eggs are worth paying extra for. I don't but the big flats of eggs at the grocery store.
Bread - A fresh loaf from an amazing baker with some butter and salt is heaven. I make bread, and it's good, but a real baker is perfection
Honey - I love fresh honey! (put it on the bread mentioned above!)

Also my grandfather told me not to cheap out on things that come between me and the ground. Shoes, beds and tires. Get good quality there regardless of cost. That advice is priceless.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 07:26:30 PM by sixwings »

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #144 on: January 13, 2020, 03:00:38 AM »
Eggs - Farm fresh eggs are worth paying extra for. I don't but the big flats of eggs at the grocery store.
Bread - A fresh loaf from an amazing baker with some butter and salt is heaven. I make bread, and it's good, but a real baker is perfection
Honey - I love fresh honey! (put it on the bread mentioned above!)

Also my grandfather told me not to cheap out on things that come between me and the ground. Shoes, beds and tires. Get good quality there regardless of cost. That advice is priceless.

Agree with all of those, but particularly your grandfather's advice - the new and very expensive mattress I bought was insanely good. I knew I had a sore back but I had no idea how much low level pain I was putting up with until I replaced my mattress.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #145 on: January 13, 2020, 07:18:18 AM »
And yet, the $300 mattress we bought from Amazon is amazingly comfortable...

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #146 on: January 13, 2020, 08:31:26 AM »

Motorbiking clothes: top quality racing gloves and custom made leathers.
Quite literally a second skin,  no alternative comes close.

I miss my Tourmaster racing gloves with the studded heel.  Probably kept me from breaking my wrist after doing "The Superman" after a highside.

Yikes! Street or track?

I have the high-quality gauntlets, but still lusting after the full leathers. Holy moly they're expensive.

As for the thread, my mind instantly went to Heinz ketchup. I laughed when I say it was the FIRST response. So I will go with Continental Gatorskins on my road bike. They are the best, ever.

cheaplynn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #147 on: January 13, 2020, 08:36:30 AM »
Vitamix blenders! I am a daily smoothie maker, and before I got my Vitamix, I burned through a blender in about 3 years. (And yes, I tried all different kinds, yes I researched thoroughly.) It was painful to shell out for the Vitamix at first, but it's not only the best blender I've ever used, it's also been going strong for over 10 years, with no issues along the way.

thesis

• Bristles
« Reply #148 on: January 13, 2020, 08:39:54 AM »
OEM car parts.

Okay, I still buy aftermarket parts every now and then depending on what I'm dealing with, but I've been burned by way too many after market suspension parts that ended up having issues within two years of installation (think three sets of upper control arms on my previous car). I also had an aftermarket engine mount that required me to file one of the bolt holes in a different direction because it didn't actually line up. And this wasn't some ultra-cheap amazon mystery part, I bought it from a reputable parts store. Ugh.

When the front lower ball joints start to go, I do not care that they will cost more than $300 together, I will be changing them once with OEM parts and then never again. My time, sanity, and safety are worth more to me than the aftermarket cost savings on most of these parts.

(also, +1 on heinz :) )
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 08:42:04 AM by thesis »

teacherwithamustache

• Stubble
« Reply #149 on: January 13, 2020, 08:53:45 AM »
The only things I can think of... Kitchen Knives/Cookware, my bbq pit, and whiskey.  I cook a lot and hate bad knives.  I dont drink a lot but when I do I prefer good whiskey.