Author Topic: new roof - $18k in expenses, ouch!  (Read 1410 times)

Valhalla

• Bristles
new roof - $18k in expenses, ouch!
« on: September 13, 2017, 12:49:57 PM »
I had to pay for new AC units not too long ago to the tune of about $14k.  That was an a big ouch.

Now I find out my roof is nearing the end of its life and I need to pay $18k for a new roof.  I have a tile roof and the tile is perfectly fine, but the unerlayment is worn and leaking in places.  I've already got a wall that has water intrusion and showing signs of staining.

It's time to pay the piper and shell out $18k for a new roof.  I got 5 estimates and chose the middle one, the one that seemed the most trust worthy and customer oriented.

I will spend $32k on my house this summer... that could have been a nice college tuition fund or a nice new car... yowsers.

I'm here to lament this spending, but also to testify to the Mustachian way of living frugally.  I have saved enough money that $32k of cash expenses will hurt, but not enough to make a dent in my FIRE target. 

If I had NOT lived the mustachian lifestyle, I would be hurting and hunting for ways to come up with the money or let the house fall into disrepair.   I'm a little sad at the expense but also very much happy at the way that MMM lifestyle has helped me deal with surprises like this.  MMM is a way of life, a peaceful and more relaxed way of life!!

FIRE47

• Bristles
Re: new roof - $18k in expenses, ouch!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 02:27:50 PM »
That's gotta hurt.

I have to ask how did it all cost so much? is your house twice the average size and very old?

*Nevermind I just saw that you are redoing the whole roof and not just the tile