Author Topic: New Car for Family of Five: here's what I'm thinking  (Read 21863 times)

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
Re: New Car for Family of Five: here's what I'm thinking
« Reply #100 on: August 20, 2017, 09:31:38 AM »
CanukExpat -- for all of us that have ridden on ice, and that have also ridden with a child in a seat on the front / rear (rather than a trailer)...

I think paddedhat has a valid point about ice and snow and riding a bicycle with kids attached.   I would be walking that day or finding a taxi / carshare / friend, bus, staying home, etc. during any sort of ice condition even if intermittent on my ride.

As for black ice and cars sliding around -- heck, I often won't even go out in a car until the stupid drivers are gone or the roads are gritted up again.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #101 on: August 20, 2017, 09:39:51 AM »
Oh yeah, being one of 3 kids in the back of a subcompact did suck. It wasn't the trip to the store that sucked, it was the multi-day driving vacations that had us poking each other and annoying our parents (and kicking the front seat? control your kids, ffs.) (Oh, right, it also sucked because my dad refused to run the AC in order to toughen us up.)

* Think about how often you're driving 3 kids all at once for an extended duration. The OP is driving <5k miles a year, with most of the driving time in the city.

* The OP takes a few 5-10 hour trips every year. That's completely doable in a Prius. If it's aggravating the first time, rent a minivan. They're spacious, luxurious, and might save your sanity on hour 6 as you're driving the Jersey turnpike.

It's just silly to buy a vehicle because you might use it 2 times/years for its intended purpose (in this case, transporting more than 5 people). That's like buying a pickup because you might have to move some shingles and drywall this year if your roof leaks. It's never happened in the past 10 years but ya never know.

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #102 on: August 21, 2017, 10:01:42 AM »
Full disclosure- I didn't read the whole thread.

+1 for a smaller car. Why not a used 2010+ Honda Civic? It has to be a Prius?

Why is a new minivan even suggested to drive only about 5000 miles/year? Yikes.