Author Topic: Need a good podcast  (Read 6530 times)

Zola.

• Bristles
  • Let's do this.
Need a good podcast
« on: November 22, 2017, 03:17:05 AM »
I have a 4 hour drive to do later today - does anyone have a particular financial podcast episode thats good for motivation - things like budgeting, investing etc.

Something motivational to keep me interested on the road!

Mrbeardedbigbucks

• Stubble
Re: Need a good podcast
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 03:27:52 AM »
Check out the Mad Fientist. He recently did an interview with Michael Kitces about the 4% rule and financial planning for early retirement.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 04:20:13 AM »
2nd mad fientist

Cubert

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Early Retirement or BUST
    • Abandoned Cubicle
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 04:21:52 AM »
Check out the FIRE Drill at firedrillpodcast.com. They interviewed this odd duck named Cubert most recently. Enjoy!

Zola.

• Bristles
  • Let's do this.
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 07:25:12 AM »
Both downloaded, thanks!

That takes me for one way, need a couple more. if stuck I will revert to Joe Rogan!

WSUCoug1994

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 08:39:21 AM »
ChooseFI

Comar

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 08:45:04 AM »
For something motivational not purely money related listen to Tim Ferris interview Schwarzenegger. It's an interesting rags to riches story.

Rimu05

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 09:16:41 AM »
I like financial rockstar

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 12:43:44 PM »
MadFientist is always good. Also take a look at Paula Pant's "Afford anything" and PT's "Masters of Money."

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 12:46:53 PM »
Oh My Dollar! It's by an MMM-er :)

startingsmall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2017, 09:07:07 PM »
Radical Personal Finance is my current favorite.

Also enjoy Freakonomics, Optimal Finance Daily, Planet Money, and Hidden Brain.

Off the Wheel

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2017, 09:09:51 PM »
I love Planet Money!!

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2017, 01:17:36 AM »
Entrepreneur on Fire. You’ll learns about side-hustles and running businesses.

spokey doke

• Pencil Stache
  • Escaped from the ivory tower basement
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2017, 10:55:27 AM »
PTF

farfromfire

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2017, 11:23:45 AM »
The only one I listen to every week is ChooseFI, a lot of focus on motivation and such. MadFientist is a really great podcast but it's all interviews, many of which contain good tips but not that motivational if that's what you're looking for.

Cubert, I enjoyed your FDP episode but it was way too short. Any idea why they moved to <30 min episodes?

Joel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2017, 01:16:42 PM »
I’ve got five I subscribe to and listen to regularly (plus a fantasy football podcast):

Planet Money
Freakanomics
Hidden Brain
How I Built This
Motley Fool Money

newton

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2017, 02:40:29 PM »
Freakanomics
STacking Benjamins
Planet Money
Side Hustle Show
Retirement Answer Man
Mad Fientist
Afford Anything

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2017, 02:53:56 PM »
And for something just plain interesting, 99% invisible.

Cubert

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Abandoned Cubicle
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2017, 04:29:14 AM »
The only one I listen to every week is ChooseFI, a lot of focus on motivation and such. MadFientist is a really great podcast but it's all interviews, many of which contain good tips but not that motivational if that's what you're looking for.

Cubert, I enjoyed your FDP episode but it was way too short. Any idea why they moved to <30 min episodes?

Glad you enjoyed! The only thing I can think of is we goofed off way too much recording that thing. I had fun and that's all I care about. If I remember right, we joked about FIRE bloggers in the Last Supper painting, with MMM in place of Jesus. We joked about who'd take Judas's chair.

farfromfire

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2017, 11:04:12 AM »

Glad you enjoyed! The only thing I can think of is we goofed off way too much recording that thing. I had fun and that's all I care about. If I remember right, we joked about FIRE bloggers in the Last Supper painting, with MMM in place of Jesus. We joked about who'd take Judas's chair.
Jokes are good! In contrast, ChooseFI is typically 60+ minutes so guests get to joke as well as provide detailed answer. I feel like FDP has been cutting guests off lately which I dislike.

Zoot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2017, 12:11:26 PM »

This is hilarious.  Would love to hear this on a bloopers-and-outtakes type of thing!  :)

MrsBFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2017, 05:49:48 PM »
I love Freakenomics. Not FI focused, but more on how money works and effects the economy (but in super cool ways). For example, "Why is there so Much Ground Beef in the World" and other stuff like that that you wouldn't expect!

I wrote a list of my favorites here if you're interested! Podcasts are honestly the best.

http://befindependent.com/2017/11/23/6-podcasts-that-will-make-you-smarter/

Peter Parker

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2017, 07:20:07 PM »
ChooseFI

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2017, 07:56:19 PM »
I posted this in the other podcast thread, so might as well do it here too.

I stumbled upon The Voluntary Life and really like it. I've been following it on YouTube, not the website, and he seems to be putting up a lot of his podcasts on YouTube. Some seem like they are not recent.

He focuses on FI matters, lifestyle design, psychological factors of spending less and FI, frugal travel, simple living, entrepreneurship, and does a lot of book reviews. I find the range of topics very interesting.

I also find his voice very soothing, so if the TVL guy is on this forum, well I just flirted with you online. Ha! He seems like a happily married man. He does mention Mr. Money Mustache at times so he very well may be on this forum.

MLRtimeSTL

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2017, 11:18:26 AM »
MFCEO Project

Rhoon

• Stubble
    • Multifamily and Apartment Investments
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2017, 11:38:36 AM »

This is hilarious.  Would love to hear this on a bloopers-and-outtakes type of thing!  :)

I want to know if Judas spends the money or puts it in his IRA... Just kidding -- we all know he takes his 30 pieces of silver and leases a vehicle for 3 years.

Cubert

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Abandoned Cubicle
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2017, 07:45:06 AM »

I want to know if Judas spends the money or puts it in his IRA... Just kidding -- we all know he takes his 30 pieces of silver and leases a vehicle for 3 years.

We just figured Judas would retire early only to find a big boy job later on. Like Jacob at ERE. :-)

Accidental Fire

• Stubble
    • Sweet designs for your outside lifestyle
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2017, 04:30:15 PM »
Financial Mentor podcast is my favorite, although he doesn't post too often.  He has 24 episodes, I highly recommend the archive. Professionally done and he's good at interviewing people.

https://financialmentor.com/category/podcast

Full Beard

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2017, 04:49:25 PM »
I'm a fan of The Money Guy Show with Brian Preston and Bo Hanson.