Author Topic: My SO is not on board thread # 2742  (Read 8849 times)

Mrtreasuretoupee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
My SO is not on board thread # 2742
« on: January 24, 2017, 01:27:50 AM »
I know it's been discussed. Every situation is different here is my story. Advice welcome.

I'm 44, house paid off. No CCs or loans. Completely out of debt for over a year then bought a new car. 0% for 2 years so no hurry to pay it off and investing money instead.  I make about 75k a year and going to be saving about 40% of my income. Probably increasing it to 50% after car is paid off.

GF makes about 30k no debt but past bankruptcies, credit probably not great. I bought her a brand new car in 11 basically paid cash for it, but it is getting old and has over 100k on it and she doesn't take very good car of it. We have separate finances and she probably saves maybe 5 or 6% in 401k with no match. Other than that she saves nothing.  Spends all her money on gas, going out to eat and traveling (in her car) to visit family out of state several times a year. I constantly tell her she needs to save more.

I can go into a long story but to sum up the entire problem I feel like she is spending all her money as fast as she earns it and will want to help me spend the money I am saving when she needs a newer car or something big. When I tell her "no" she will make me out to be the bad guy to her family.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
Re: My SO is not on board thread # 2742
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 01:38:34 AM »
Sorry to hear that. No partner is perfect; maybe when you FIRE she'll get a wakeup call to the power of savings!

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 02:46:33 AM »
A five year old car is old?  Mine is now seven years old, I've had it for five, and it's still the "new" car.  (I did keep the previous one 23 years from new.)

Telling your girlfriend she needs to save more while being her bank of last resort for big purchases is not going to go well.  If you want to reset her (financial) expectations of you, you need to do it before the car issue becomes critical.  If you can't reset her financial expectations you need to decide whether the relationship is worth the price of a new car every five years to you.

Have you checked out this thread -
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/how-to-convert-your-so-to-mmm-in-50-awesome-steps/

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 03:05:09 AM »
I don't think a 5-6 year old car is old. Heck I've never owned one that was newer. 5 years old seems to be the sweet spot on the depreciation curve.

How serious is this relationship? If you bought her a car in 2011 and you are still boyfriend/girlfriend, where do you see this relationship going?

I ask because her finances could or could not be a cause for concern.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 03:10:48 AM »
A five year old car is old?  Mine is now seven years old, I've had it for five, and it's still the "new" car.  (I did keep the previous one 23 years from new.)

The average age of a car on the road in the US today as of mid-2015 is 11.5 years.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2015/07/29/new-car-sales-soaring-but-cars-getting-older-too/30821191/

If your car is newer than 2005-2006 or so, it's newer than average.

I know it's been discussed. Every situation is different here is my story. Advice welcome.

I'm 44, house paid off. No CCs or loans. Completely out of debt for over a year then bought a new car. 0% for 2 years so no hurry to pay it off and investing money instead.  I make about 75k a year and going to be saving about 40% of my income. Probably increasing it to 50% after car is paid off.

GF makes about 30k no debt but past bankruptcies, credit probably not great. I bought her a brand new car in 11 basically paid cash for it, but it is getting old and has over 100k on it and she doesn't take very good car of it. We have separate finances and she probably saves maybe 5 or 6% in 401k with no match. Other than that she saves nothing.  Spends all her money on gas, going out to eat and traveling (in her car) to visit family out of state several times a year. I constantly tell her she needs to save more.

I can go into a long story but to sum up the entire problem I feel like she is spending all her money as fast as she earns it and will want to help me spend the money I am saving when she needs a newer car or something big. When I tell her "no" she will make me out to be the bad guy to her family.

This is going to be a two-pronged thing, IMO.

Part 1) Getting her on board.  Have you gone through the "How to Convert your SO to MMM in 50 Awesome Steps" thread?

Mostly it will be about selling her on the dream.  What does your FIRE life look like?  Travel? Time to raise kids? Sports? Hobbies? Getting away from a soul crushing job? Sleeping in?

Figure out what her perfect day is, and sell how that can be the case, all the time in FIRE.  So she wants to start pushing for it, and frugality isn't a means of deprivation, but of pursuing a dream.

After that, you'll have to stop selling.  Just set a quiet example, and give her time.

Part 2) Setting boundaries.  Your money is your money.  That needs to be the case from here on out, and needs to be clear.

Who cares what her family thinks?  But setting boundaries should include that.  "I don't like when you complain to your family about how I spend my money."  Make it clear what sort of behavior is and is not acceptable to you, as part of a loving relationship.

It will take time.  Be patient.

Good luck!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 06:24:43 AM »
So, she's your GF, not your wife; you have separate finances; so why did you buy her a car in 2011?  That seems like a really big thing for a couple that is not sharing finances overall (and even for one who is!).  So it seems like you have set an expectation that her money is hers to do with as she pleases, while your money belongs to both of you.

I don't think it's about the car.  I think you guys are due for a talk about how you as a couple want to manage your finances.  Many people combine everything; many people split everything equally or proportionally; many people do something in-between.  Since you guys have such different approaches to money, it sounds like you'd do best just each covering your own share of stuff (with you perhaps paying a bigger share because you have @2x the income).  That way, you're not responsible for her decision to spend it all, and on the flip side she can't get angry at you for failing to chip in for whatever thing she wants but can't afford.  It's not your job to "help" her or convert her to the right path -- she's got to come to it herself.  So whatever you can do to distance your finances from the emotions surrounding your finances is good.

FWIW, my DH is way more of a spendypants than I am.  We combined finances when we married, and it drove me batshit when he'd spend stupid money on stupid stuff (the proverbial last straw was the $120 Oakleys).  So we set up separate allowances, where we each got some money each month to spend or save as we chose.  Part of it was to limit his stupid stuff to a level that wouldn't interfere with our joint goals.  But the bigger benefit was it made his stupid stuff none of my business -- I'd get that little urge to nag, to explain how this thing over here is just as good for 1/10th the price, and I'd have to tell myself to stfu, because it was his money, and he had the right to be stupid with it if he wanted to.  This one little decision probably has a lot to do with the fact that we are still married today -- his desire/need to feel free to splurge is as big a part of him as my need to have a big fat 'stache is to me.  So we compromised where we can, but neither of us can go 100% over to the other's way of thinking without giving up too much of ourselves.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 06:37:50 AM »
I would recommend the thread arebelspy referred to. Do not buy her a new car. Do not combine finances until she demonstrates fiscal responsibility. If she does not already, ask her to contribute to household expenses.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 07:20:29 AM »
Are you/how long have you been living together? If you were willing to buy her a car in 2011 it suggests a long time, if you are living together. Does your state have common law marriage? Mine does, at 7 years. Just thought that was worth mentioning based on how long it seems like you two have been together.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 08:07:57 AM »
Are you paying all the house expenses?

If so, she could be saving no problem. If not, I can see why on her small income she has a spend mindset rather than a save mindset.

I'd say it's time to evaluate if you are staying with her long term. If so, are you both OK with her continuing as is and you retiring early?

If you haven't discussed this yet, start with that.

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 08:40:40 AM »
How much does she like her job? Would she continue with her career if she won the lottery tomorrow and all living expenses were paid for life?

It helped my wife come around when she understood the opportunity cost of all those squandered dollars (she's not exactly working her dream job).

I created a graph of the last 2 years of net worth history, and future projections at different savings rates (401k max, 401k max + $1K/month, 401k max + $2K/month) etc. Very easy to see visually where the net worth crossed the FI line for each scenario, and how we can control how long our working careers are. We essentially can guarantee we "win the lottery" X years from now. Being able to see the plan with exact dates and numbers is much more convincing than "well, we can probably retire early at some point in time if we just live like we're poor"

Every decision we make with money (earn, spend, save, invest) either shortens or lengthens our working career.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 08:54:50 AM by cheapass »

Candace

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 08:50:10 AM »
It sounds as though you're concerned about how the differences in your approaches to money will play out in your joint future.

This is a valid concern.

I predict that continuing to tell her all the time that she needs to save more, while subsidizing her lifestyle with your earnings, will get you exactly the same money dynamic you have today.

If you want different results, you have to do something different.

No one here knows your relationship like you do. Only you know what you can tolerate, what she can tolerate, and how money plays into the totality of your relationship. However, I suggest that if you don't want her to expect you to subsidize her lifestyle with money you have earmarked for savings, you should make that abundantly clear. Also, once you set a boundary, if you let it slide, you will teach her that you're not serious when you tell her about your boundaries. If you do set boundaries and expectations differently than up till now, and you're consistent in not giving in, she may push back. That's when you will need to make clear what you're aiming for in your life, whatever that is. The thread referenced above will give you some help in how to express that.

I'm not in the same situation as you, but my husband and I do have different approaches to money. He pretty much only makes enough money to cover his bills and the things he and I have agreed he'll provide. He has almost no stash. Because he recently had some lumpy expenses, he was cash flow negative last year, and he's using his paltry retirement account as a buffer. So he and I had a frank talk about expectations and how he can earn more (which should be relatively easy for him) so that this trend doesn't continue. Happily for me, I feel like I'm doing what I can to head off any problems (meaning any requests for help from me) before they occur. In contrast, you've already taught your girlfriend that when she wants a new car, you'll buy it for her, and that she can still spend everything she makes on going out. You can reset this expectation, but it may not be easy. I would say, be nice, but make clear what you want and what you're willing to do, but also what you're NOT willing to do -- any more. The exception to this is if you're actually willing to keep doing it. And you may be. Is this a dealbreaker for you? That's what you have to decide.

Also, beware. If your income goes up, she may expect you to spend more of it on her cars, clothes, trips, whatever. Did her parents provide all these things to her growing up? Did they expect her to make her own money? Whatever she grew up with, she may expect the same from you. Now, it's perfectly reasonable to expect that as a partnership, your making more money will help both of you, not just you. But the two of you should work out exactly what that means.

This is kind of rambling, so I'll stop. Good luck to you. We're rooting for you.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 08:52:42 AM by Candace »

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 09:27:10 AM »
You already set the standard that you buy her cars; why should she save for a new one?

Honestly if she saves 5-6% in a 401 at 30k income, she's doing better than a LOT of people.

Is there a way you could get her to 'pay' you $100 a month for a new car and you'd save up the money for her?  Is her car dying? My car has 100k+ miles and is 10+ years old and it's fine. Can you help teach her proper maintenance?

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2017, 09:35:08 AM »
OP try and get the GF on the same page as you financially. Give yourself a deadline for that of say 6 months. If she's not coming around by then break up and move on. You don't want to try and build a life with someone who is not seeing things the same way on such a huge issue. There are other fish in the sea. At some point you need to acknowledge you are trying to push a square peg into a round hole.

OTOH if she makes progress she doesn't need to become a personnel finance guru. She just needs to come around enough so that you can work constructively together on your shared life goals.

WranglerBowman

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2017, 09:49:34 AM »
I'm not sure if you live in a high cost of living area but it's pretty hard to survive on $30k a year, with rent.  I started my career at $48k 10 years ago near Washington D.C. and I was only saving about 10%, living pay check to paycheck for most of the year.  I live a pretty frugal life too.  IMO it's really going to come down to her being willing to sacrifice more/change some habits because it's worth it to be with you, or you are going to be supporting her more because it's worth being with her...

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2017, 10:18:20 AM »
It sounds as though you're concerned about how the differences in your approaches to money will play out in your joint future.

This is a valid concern.

I predict that continuing to tell her all the time that she needs to save more, while subsidizing her lifestyle with your earnings, will get you exactly the same money dynamic you have today.

If you want different results, you have to do something different.

This.  Applies not just to this situation, but to pretty much any situation in life!

i.e. "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results." 
(attributed - apparently probably wrongly - to Albert Einstein, Benjamin Franklin, and others)

Mrtreasuretoupee, hope you manage to establish a different dynamic with your GF.  I second the thoughts about it being a whole lot harder to save - or even see the value in saving - when you're making $30,000 a year.  But also agree that defining some boundaries and sticking to them sounds like a good idea.

I'm not married or living with anyone, but at times I counsel couples.  For sure, communication is key.  You can try to change the tone of the conversation - sit down with wine to chat about financial dreams, for example, rather than having the conversation hunched over the kitchen counter with the VISA bill clenched in hand arguing about what's already been spent.  Or bringing someone you both trust into the conversation - one of your parents, if they have their act together financially and might be able to share some advice, or a friend who's a financial advisor, or a couples counsellor re: your general communication about money (or clergyperson if you're religious).

A very helpful question when dealing with someone who seems to be expecting you to solve their problems (financial or otherwise) is "What do you think you're going to do about that?"  Said sincerely and supportively, of course, when they complain about their situation, after expressing empathy for what's going on.  A variation could go something like this, "Wow, there's a lot going on with that/that's a big concern, I bet.  What's going to be your first step?"  I learned this approach from some solution-focused therapy training I did a while back, and the main point is to be supportive but not take ownership of the issue, while encouraging the other person to think of their own solutions.

Altons Bobs

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2017, 10:36:20 AM »
You bought her a brand new car when you're not even married yet, you have given her that expectation to also expect new cars in the future.  She sees you as a backup, when she doesn't have money, you will always bail her out. She will keep taking advantage of you, no question about that. You need to have a talk with her and see where it takes your relationship.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2017, 11:12:04 AM »
Bought a car for her in 2011?  That's a pretty long term girlfriend there.  Is it moving toward marriage?  If so, then I'd take one track to this.  Or if not, if it's going to stay just BF and GF status, I'd take a different track.

If moving toward marriage, I'd focus on behavior change with an end goal of combining finances after marriage.  On the other hand, if not moving toward marriage, I'd focus on helping her as much as possible while subsidizing her as little as possible. 

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2017, 11:14:08 AM »
OP, if you save 50% of your $75k salary, you're spending more than she is.

You give is little info to go on about your lifestyle. Do you cover living expenses, or do you split them? Equally or proportionally? Who does more cooking? Can she invite guests to your home (is it typically tidy, are you friendly, does she feel ownership of it?) Did she move away from friends/work/family to live with you? On average, interpersonal relationships are more important to women than men, and that has positive effects on our health and life expectancy; don't bash it, help find a way to make it happen within the budget.

It's possible you cover all the living expenses (rent, utilities, groceries) and she's literally blowing through 2k+/mo on treats and trips. It's also possible you're splitting things equally, and you deem her weekly lunch with a friend and monthly trip to see her mom "excessive" while forgetting to tell us about your expensive hobby. I actually expect the truth is in between.

For reference, my bf and I have similar incomes to you guys (a tad higher), in the LA area, and I'd be pretty pissed if he judged my occasional coffee or lunch out, since I do more cooking and cleaning, or if he deemed our visits to my family (5hrs away) or sister at college (2hrs) frivolous. Incidentally, I'm finishing grad school so it's not like I work less. Fortunately for him, he recognizes that although he's saving more (incl paying back student loans) he's also spending more, and doesn't have room to comment on my choices.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

SKL-HOU

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2017, 02:37:54 PM »
OP, if you save 50% of your $75k salary, you're spending more than she is.

Not necessarily. He would have higher taxes. Also, he could be paying more for health insurance, etc or maybe even her insurance too...

So what was the motivation behind buying her a car? Was that a way to hook her in the relationship? Was that a way for you to show that you are taking care of her? In any case, it is very possible that she is using you especially if you are paying for all living expenses, etc. Of course, only you would know.

Mrtreasuretoupee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2017, 02:34:04 AM »
OP HERE:

I really appreciate the thoughtful responses. I've read through them all. I know I did not include a lot of useful information for a comprehensive solution. We split the groceries (but she eats half of them anyway so that's no help to me) and she pays for her cell phone and car expenses ( Gas, insurance, maintenance ect.) I pay all house utilities, taxes and home insurance.

My main concern is that I will retire at 55 and she will have to work until she can collect social security and I know she will be resentful to me for that.

h82goslw

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2017, 04:30:34 AM »
Unless the sex is incredibly great I would run.

kite

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2017, 05:57:50 AM »
How old is she?
The scenario whereby one of you buys the other a car suggests a Sugar Daddy dynamic (or Sugar Momma if genders were otherwise).  As much as that enables the poorer party to mooch, it also feeds the ego of the older more successful partner.  Ponder that.
There is a God, and you are not Him.  (For Atheists, there is no god, so clearly, you aren't him, either).  You will not rescue her finances, they are hers.  Don't appoint yourself the messiah, just do your best with your own business.  And do a better job setting expectations.  Don't make a promise you don't intend to keep.  You've been subsidizing her existence, enabling her to live beyond her means.  Why?  Is that in her best interest, long term?  Or does it make you feel heroic?
You already anticipate that you are the bad guy if you don't swoop in and replace her car when the time comes. You are worried about what her feelings of resentment could be in 11 years when you retire.  My friend, that is borrowed trouble.  What is more worrisome is what might happen to her if you die or become disabled or simply trade her in on a younger model.  Then, she's really up a creek.  Parents do this to their young adult children, infantilizing them with subsidized lifestyles that leave them unable to thrive after the parents have died.  If there is an age gap with you two, you are doing the same thing.  All that "help" winds up hurting. 
Her income is sufficient to get a car loan if and when the need arises.  It will be a terrific baby step towards restoring her credit, but more importantly towards adult responsibility.  You could talk about that eventual scenario and ponder how much she should save towards a down payment.  Or just let the future unfold how it will.  A car payment on a $30k income will be easily manageable for a person who doesn't pay rent. 
Don't resent her now because you anticipate that she'll resent you in a decade.  Resentment is a relationship killer.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2017, 07:27:08 AM »
Sounds to me like a situation where your more her sugar daddy than BF/Future husband. I would for a set period of time treat it/ act like a marriage should be as far as responsibilities go and if she cant tread water get the hell out. Seems more like it would get worse for you not better. While a relationship shouldnt be based on $ it works on both sides of the equation.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2017, 08:55:25 AM »
OP HERE:

I really appreciate the thoughtful responses. I've read through them all. I know I did not include a lot of useful information for a comprehensive solution. We split the groceries (but she eats half of them anyway so that's no help to me) and she pays for her cell phone and car expenses ( Gas, insurance, maintenance ect.) I pay all house utilities, taxes and home insurance.

My main concern is that I will retire at 55 and she will have to work until she can collect social security and I know she will be resentful to me for that.

This is assuming you never co-mingle your finances and never make your relationship a real partnership.  It doesn't sound to me like this is really the person you want to be with, or you'd be talking about figuring out ways you could BOTH retire at 55. She does not sound like a spendy pants to me by visiting family. She doesn't make much money; does she want to make more? Or do YOU want her to make more? These are important questions to ask yourself.

Wallerstein

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2017, 10:09:39 AM »

I had to blink because I thought I wrote the OP's post.

Except we're married and for last five years our finances have evolved from the baseline the OP lays out to some natural (and unfortunate for her) conclusions due to completely divergent financial philosophies between DW and myself.

Gal2016

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIRE - 2031
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2017, 11:02:36 AM »
If you're making 75k a year and have limited expenses -- household utilities (which is, what, $500/month max) and zero debt -- you've got to be spending quite a bit.  About what she makes in a year, I figure.  If she's saving 5% - she's still bringing home and spending less than you on non-essentials.

So, are you policing her spending while also spending what you want on non-essentials? It's really hard to live and be in a relationship with someone who expects to spend more than you while simultaneously declaring that you spend too much.  If I were you, I'd lead by example.  If you really want her to save an extra $500 a month (to start), both of you save an extra $500 a month.  You should be spending equally on hobbies/entertainment/non-essentials if you want to have a healthy relationship.

Just my thoughts

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2017, 11:09:01 AM »
OP HERE:

If you two have been together for 6+ years(I'm assuming no one would buy someone a new car without at least knowing them for a year), then surely you have at least OK communication skills with each other. So talk to her about your goals, how you are achieving them, what you expect from her(ie: not use you for big ticket purchases), etc... Don't make it all negative. Be sure to be respectful. After all, you are not married and things do not seem that bad.

I don't think things are all that dire. Just be sure to gently set expectations going forward.

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2017, 06:20:35 PM »
In my opinion you need to tell her that the new car was a one time thing. And that she would be wise to maintain her current one.

Also, neither of you is saving enough. You at $75k and no house payment. Her at $30k and noting but personal expenses (groceries, gas, food, clothes). Unless you are in a super HCOL, you both should be saving a lot higher percentage of your pay.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2017, 06:43:22 PM »
OP HERE:

So she lives rent free and has a car she didn't have to pay for and she doesn't take very good care of? You know in your heart of hearts what the truth is. I suspect that's why you haven't married her. Read LJ's thread as advised, and then do a little soul searching. You know the answer. Best of luck to you, whatever you decide. BTW, the last part of the last sentence gave me chills, and not in a good way.

Case

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2017, 06:09:31 AM »

Sounds like you two have a fundamental incompatibility.  Your'e going to have to decide if she is worth it, given the significant risk to your savings and ability to retire early.  If she can't be convinced that a frugal life has merit, then remember that there are other women out there...

2704b59cc36a

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2017, 07:42:43 AM »
You're her sugar daddy. If you don't want to continue in a relationship like that then find a partner where you are equals. You can't complain at all when over 6 years ago you bought a grown adult a car. You know what you need to do.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2017, 08:57:11 AM »
You're her sugar daddy. If you don't want to continue in a relationship like that then find a partner where you are equals. You can't complain at all when over 6 years ago you bought a grown adult a car. You know what you need to do.

^ This

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2017, 02:05:50 PM »
OP HERE:
 We split the groceries (but she eats half of them anyway so that's no help to me) and she pays for her cell phone and car expenses ( Gas, insurance, maintenance ect.) I pay all house utilities, taxes and home insurance.

So...   just tell her your main concern.... and ask her if she would be resentful in that scenario.   

Depending on the answer, you can help her explore other options, like ways to mutually retire at age 55, or not.

It's not about cars, splitting finances more now, or even her spending now....  It is that you want to retire guilt free at age 55 and are doing what you need to do to make that happen, and want to have a nice long term relationship, too.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2017, 11:43:54 PM »
It's not about cars, splitting finances more now, or even her spending now....  It is that you want to retire guilt free at age 55 and are doing what you need to do to make that happen, and want to have a nice long term relationship, too.

Wow. Spot on.