Author Topic: My job is draining me  (Read 6964 times)

gsd802

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
My job is draining me
« on: December 06, 2017, 09:24:02 AM »
Hello everyone,

I come to you all looking for help.  I am trying to find a balance in my life.  While most of you wont understand my line of work, I'm sure you can all relate because my reason for not moving on is mostly money driven.

I am a 28 year old dairy farmer and am a herd manager on a farm milking 550 cows 3 times a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.  Its demanding, I average 80-85 hours a week, typically a day off a week, but not guaranteed.  When I do get my day off, I still go in for 2 hours to do things that others on the farm dont know how to do.  I get paid salary, so no matter how many hours I work, its the same pay. This fall I ended up working 3 weeks straight (normal during the warmer months) and my top week was 117 hours in 7 days.  I got a high five and a thank you for all my hard work and no extra pay.  Also, I am an asset to this farm.  We have proven results and National awards for our work the last 3 years from my management strategies.

I really dont have any free time for myself or my girlfriend.  Its starting to effect my attitude, relationship, and my ambition.  I dont know how to cut back on hours because there is so much to do and I am a key member on that farm keeping things efficient.  When I get my day off, I have so much I want to do but dont know where to start, plus I just want to relax a little.  I cant remember the last time I had two whole days off in a row.

I want to leave, but I have free housing here and the thought of a mortgage scares me.  I am able to save 50% of my take home pay, and I invest 50% of that.  Really I could do even better than that.  They also offered me the deed to land so I could build my own house if I dedicated 10 years of employment with them.  Sounds amazing right?  So there is definitively perks.  But is no life worth the benefits?  How do I find a balance?  I have looked into another job that I was really hoping to get into....a state job.  But I was deferred one year and I dont think I can wait that long (mentally) to reapply. 

Thanks in advance

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
Re: My job is draining me
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 09:32:40 AM »
That sounds crazy unhealthy. You're ruining your life.

It sounds like you have some FU money. Do you? If so,

1) Talk to your boss and tell them that they need to hire an assistant for you and that you want to only work 5 days a week. If they balk, proceed to 2).

or

2) Give them a resignation with a fair amount of time (1 month? 3 months?) and then work on your future. Find an apartment, move out, and look for a job with more life-work balance.

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 09:35:46 AM »
Hello everyone,

I come to you all looking for help.  I am trying to find a balance in my life.  While most of you wont understand my line of work, I'm sure you can all relate because my reason for not moving on is mostly money driven.

I am a 28 year old dairy farmer and am a herd manager on a farm milking 550 cows 3 times a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.  Its demanding, I average 80-85 hours a week, typically a day off a week, but not guaranteed.  When I do get my day off, I still go in for 2 hours to do things that others on the farm dont know how to do.  I get paid salary, so no matter how many hours I work, its the same pay. This fall I ended up working 3 weeks straight (normal during the warmer months) and my top week was 117 hours in 7 days.  I got a high five and a thank you for all my hard work and no extra pay.  Also, I am an asset to this farm.  We have proven results and National awards for our work the last 3 years from my management strategies.

I really dont have any free time for myself or my girlfriend.  Its starting to effect my attitude, relationship, and my ambition.  I dont know how to cut back on hours because there is so much to do and I am a key member on that farm keeping things efficient.  When I get my day off, I have so much I want to do but dont know where to start, plus I just want to relax a little.  I cant remember the last time I had two whole days off in a row.

I want to leave, but I have free housing here and the thought of a mortgage scares me.  I am able to save 50% of my take home pay, and I invest 50% of that.  Really I could do even better than that.  They also offered me the deed to land so I could build my own house if I dedicated 10 years of employment with them.  Sounds amazing right?  So there is definitively perks.  But is no life worth the benefits?  How do I find a balance?  I have looked into another job that I was really hoping to get into....a state job.  But I was deferred one year and I dont think I can wait that long (mentally) to reapply. 

Thanks in advance

Just addressing the bold part.  A good manager trains and delegates work, teach others how to do these jobs as a way for them to further their career and for you to have a true day off. Sounds like if you are going to stay there you need to start focusing on teaching and not doing.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 09:50:04 AM »
That sounds like a LOT of unrealistic expectations on the part of your employer.

I think most salaried positions have 'busy' weeks where people bust ass, but it sounds like you are busting ass covering the work of 2 people all day every day every week. That's not ok.

Can you ask to hire an assistant manager? Have you provided your hours to the owner and confronted them with the data? Surely they can't think working 80+ hours a week every week is appropriate. If they do..... well, you have your answer.

And you don't need a mortgage. You can rent.

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 10:07:00 AM »
Quit.  You could start your own business doing vacation coverage for farmers until you land that state job you are wanting. 

I read a piece a couple years back about someone doing just that and was making a killing.  Historically farmers would not dream of taking vacation, but today being today, people of all walks of like want to be able to take time off to travel, but if you are teathered to a farm then that is often unrealistic.  Enter in the farm vacation temp. 

BigHaus89

• Stubble
  • Ride the Spiral to the End
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 10:29:27 AM »
You better be making an absolute shitload of money for working this much. Otherwise, you should have quit yesterday. Those "perks" don't really amount to much money relative to how much you work.

Quit.  You could start your own business doing vacation coverage for farmers until you land that state job you are wanting. 

+1 to this. You could start working only part of the year and traveling. I have several friends who were able to travel the world for free while filling in on farms. You have expert knowledge with dairy farming. Use that to your advantage.

Cali Nonya

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 10:48:39 AM »
I'm going to give a counter response based on someone who worked a killer job (80+ hours (often 100+ hours), little time off, for years). 

It's a decision only you can make about where your 'break-point' is.  There are people who work in jobs like yours for decades, and are fine.  There are people who crack after a few weeks or months.  The fact that you are working toward 'perks', are making good money, and saving at a great rate are things to consider.  Only you can feel whether you can toughen up and just push through to the 10-year mark and get the perks you are working towards.

Personally, I'd say stay.  Ask your boss for a more reasonable schedule (based on something concrete, like pick two days that you want to be sure you can be home at a certain hour).  As for the girlfriend.  How you manage your time and expectations are really just between the two of you.  Some couples this is not a big deal, for other's it would be a deal-breaker.  I wouldn't rely very much on outside opinions, since most people would not be able to really understand a job / life like you are living.

Good luck.  And remember, everyone has bad days / months.  Try to step back and see the larger picture if you are generally happy or generally miserable (or just neutral).  Don't make big changes if it's a more temporary disatisfaction. 

moof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 11:37:41 AM »
If you have enough FU money (6-12 months) and are as important as you make out, you need to go have a hard conversation with your boss and fix things one way or the other.  Make it clear that you need more true days off, and more reasonable overall hours.  It sounds like there needs to be two of you, so they need to hire someone.

A couple things to keep in mind:
1)  You are more dispensable than you realize.  If you got hit by a truck tomorrow the place would carry on and figure things out.  I've never seen a business of a good size go under because one guy was out sick or quit.  Cutting back to a sane work schedule means they only have to halfway cover such a loss.

2)  Be willing to offer to take a pay cut for more days off and fewer hours.  Likely they will not take you up on this, but your good faith will go a long way in keeping the conversation from being adversarial.

3)  Your boss likely does not realize how awful you have it, rather they probably think you love your job and have no idea what is up.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 12:00:44 PM »
Agree with those who say that you need to have a conversation with your boss. If you're worried about tone, there's a real business case to be made for having an assistant manager. At the very least:

1. If you ever got sick (which is going to happen given that you're burning the candle at both ends), there's clearly a lot of slack that's going to have be picked up and no one is going to be prepared.

2. Your decision making is going to be strongly impeded by your hours. We often get worse at making decisions when we're rushed, have too much to do, and don't have enough time to do it. You will do your job better when you are doing less of it, I guarantee.

Your hours are not long-term tenable for almost anyone, and if they were long-term tenable for you, you wouldn't be asking for advice on how to deal with them. Have the conversation. If your boss won't move on getting you better hours, get out, because a boss who isn't trying to get employee hours under 80 hours a week is frankly a dangerous person to be around. It sounds like you're very well situated for pushing for this (based on specialized skills, experience, and what sounds like at least some FU money), so there's no reason not to make the situation better, whether it involves staying or leaving.

Josiecat

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 12:34:21 PM »
Teach other staff to do the things that only you know how to do.  Take your vacation days.

Also, speak to your boss about a more reasonable schedule.  And then stick to it.

undercover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 12:54:18 PM »
You're burning yourself out for nothing. Even if you were making $100k in total comp, that's only $22 an hour at 85 hours. That's terrible considering the hours you're putting in. You basically have no life thanks to this job. Your time is much more valuable than that. Although, I will say, given the fact that you have free housing, are likely living in a rural area, and spend most of your time at work, you should easily be able to boost that 50% savings rate.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 01:14:09 PM »
Howdy OP
I do understand to an extent, I've worked with dairy farmers and yeah it is a big time commitment.
You are pulling the weight of 2 people. Also you mention free housing but only 50% savings rate. I am scared to ask the salary... as I know it is generally pretty low.
I suggest build a resume and start looking. Resume can focus on team leadership, management skills etc which can translate into any industry. You don't have to stay in the dairy unless you want.

Good luck!!

SC93

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2017, 01:20:30 PM »
With your hard work ethic you could do any number of things. Start a business for yourself and learn how to delegate. For example, I just delivered a washer and dryer, it took me 42 minutes and made $268 profit. At 3 o'clock I'm going to work 1 1/2 hours for $120 profit. I like money perks better than a high five! Make an exit plan and take your life back before your girlfriend makes her exit plan.

sirspendstoomuch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2017, 01:42:23 PM »
First, most people will not be able to sustain the rate you are going.  For me, no job or amount of money would be worth that for 10 years.

I would be careful you are not convincing yourself that you need to work more than you do.  I am not in anything like your kind of field, but I have been around many managers who are at the office and involved in way more than they need to be.  Delegate more if that is what it takes.  Especially the things you are going in on your day off to do.  If no one knows how to do those things, that is a management failure.  Train and delegate.  The demands may not be yours, but you likely have the ability to manage them differently to relieve some of the stress and hours.

Miss Tash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2017, 02:55:55 PM »
I do understand what you're going through because I grew up on a dairy in Southern Idaho. I saw my dad go seven years without a vacation in the early days.  One of his constant worries was that his "man" (essentially, your position) would leave. He paid a lot, provided housing and only had a couple manager turn-overs during the course of the 35 years.  He paid them "under the table" in heifers, too, and they eventually started their own herds.  But, back to your situation.  The boss knows what you know and if he doesn't he should!  I never saw anyone on our dairy (eventually 300 cows) work the hours you do, but we did only milked twice a day.  I'd be looking into some help.  The only way you should put in those hours is if you own the place.
Another common phenomenon back then was another dairy poaching managers, herd-health guys and milkers.  If there are  other outfits around all you'd have to do would be to put the word out...  Just saying.

Chrissy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2017, 04:18:16 PM »
2. Your decision making is going to be strongly impeded by your hours. We often get worse at making decisions when we're rushed, have too much to do, and don't have enough time to do it. You will do your job better when you are doing less of it, I guarantee.

...If your boss won't move on getting you better hours, get out, because a boss who isn't trying to get employee hours under 80 hours a week is frankly a dangerous person to be around.

+1 to this.  Having perspective requires the time and energy to rise above the situation and view it from the outside.  You have neither time nor energy, you're just trying to get through the day.  You're living at the bottom of a well, looking up at a tiny, immediate piece of a vast sky.  And, that's exactly where your employer wants you.

Don't put ANY faith in the promise of land for 10 yrs of service.  HOGWASH!  Anyone willing to do right by you eventually would manage your hours in a humane way now. 

Northern gal

• Bristles
  • Life at the beach shack
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2017, 04:32:06 PM »
. Also you mention free housing but only 50% savings rate. I am scared to ask the salary... as I know it is generally pretty low.
I suggest build a resume and start looking. Resume can focus on team leadership, management skills etc which can translate into any industry. You don't have to stay in the dairy unless you want.

Good luck!!

+1.

You mention the promise of land and fear of a mortgage. No offence but neither sounds like you have done the maths, more like throwing around buzzwords.

I'd say invest some time getting your head around financial concepts.

What is your current hourly wage?
What jobs are available to you nearby / further away? What do they pay overall / per hour?
What rent or mortgage cost would you be looking at to move to where better jobs are?
What would it cost to build a house on the promised land and what would it be worth afterwards (I presume, in a fairly remote area with little jobs prospects?)

You are tired. Don't make rash decisions.

gsd802

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2017, 06:19:01 AM »
Wow! Thank you all for the responses.  I did not expect to get so much feedback.

My boss did hire me a helper, thats exactly what they told me he was.  He was about 10 years older than me, had been in agriculture most his whole life, but jumps around farm to farm every couple years.  My boss never made my job title clear to him, and he did things he wanted to do it and not follow protocols that the farm and I came up with as a team.  He didnt want to listen to someone younger than him.  Consistency is extremely crucial on a dairy farm.  Time went on, and I realized my helper got to make his own schedule.  Got to work 4 hours later than me, left sometimes 1 hour earlier than me or at the same time as I did.  I found out he received the same pay and thats when I confronted my boss.  His response....well you have housing.  I told him I was looking around for a new job and the following week I had a pretty decent pay raise.

We employ 5 milking employees who work 30 hours less a week than I do.  Their take home pay is $200 less than my take home pay.  Their job is to simply milk the cows, keep milking area clean, go home.  They share a big house together paid by the farm.

I earn $1,100 a week.  If it were 80 hours a week, thats $13.75/hr.  They rent my house for me at $900/month so theres another $2.81/hr on top for a total of $16.75/hour.  Plus the house and heat for the house.  Simple IRA.  After taxes, my check comes down to around $820 a week, and thats the figure I use to get my 50% savings a year.  I track every dollar I spend and I will admit, food is my biggest expense.  Quick and convenient....but that comes with a cost.  I need to work on that.  My next two expenses are gas and health insurance.  I have very little "pleasure" expense. 

Sure, I could find a higher hourly rate job, but less hours equals less annual pay.  Not all jobs offer overtime, and I would depend on that to make up for that loss of money. 

The hours wouldnt bother me as much if I were an owner.  I have committed 6 years to these guys and not once have they offered partnership.  Ive been to a couple larger farms looking at employment and they told me right off after a couple years I could buy in if I proved myself.  I have no doubt proven myself here. 

My special skill here that no one else knows how to do is artificially inseminate cows.  Accurately identifying cows in estrus and inseminating them at the right time.  I had 3 years experience before coming here.  I can call a company to cover for me on my day off, its just more difficult for them since they do not know the cows as well.  My stubborn-ness I suppose, I could just let them come. 

I would love to go into my own business.  I could be an independent traveling inseminator.  Many farms use it, there are 3 big companies in my area.  I have reputation in the area so being an independent I know I could pick up clients.  The problem that worries me is getting paid.  Times are hard right now, and the breeding bill is typically the last bill farmers pay.

Lastly, if I worked out something for less hours it would be ideal to build on land here.  A friend of mine just built a house similar to what my girlfriend and I want on gifted land, and he paid about $150,000.  I could save money by my boss doing all the excavation.  In 10 years I could have the land paid for by their agreement as well as my mortgage paid off.  But I need to be able to live that long to get that benefit... haha. 

Thanks again for the responses

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2017, 08:16:32 AM »
Wow! Thank you all for the responses.  I did not expect to get so much feedback.

My boss did hire me a helper, thats exactly what they told me he was.  He was about 10 years older than me, had been in agriculture most his whole life, but jumps around farm to farm every couple years.  My boss never made my job title clear to him, and he did things he wanted to do it and not follow protocols that the farm and I came up with as a team.  He didnt want to listen to someone younger than him.  Consistency is extremely crucial on a dairy farm.  Time went on, and I realized my helper got to make his own schedule.  Got to work 4 hours later than me, left sometimes 1 hour earlier than me or at the same time as I did.  I found out he received the same pay and thats when I confronted my boss.  His response....well you have housing.  I told him I was looking around for a new job and the following week I had a pretty decent pay raise.

Well if you want to stay [that's a debatable choice] you need a real helper. Fire this guy and you hire someone that's useful to you. If that doesn't happen I can't see why/how you would stay.

Once you get some help it's time to work on some of the other issues, but really if you don't get help why would you even bother?

gsd802

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2017, 09:25:03 AM »
I forgot to mention, that guy did leave this summer. So back to the drawing bored. We get some help in the summer from younger kids in their teens.  With them it’s hard at time, glued to cell phones and not fully understanding quality of work vs just getting a job done. I love educating and showing ways of doing things so it’s fun challenge to keep those guys motivated.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2017, 10:02:31 AM »
I forgot to mention, that guy did leave this summer. So back to the drawing bored.

The time to hire and train some help is before the peak season when you need them contributing at 100%.

sirspendstoomuch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2017, 11:00:39 AM »

We employ 5 milking employees who work 30 hours less a week than I do.  Their take home pay is $200 less than my take home pay.  Their job is to simply milk the cows, keep milking area clean, go home.  They share a big house together paid by the farm.

I obviously don't know what the stardards are in your field, but sounds like the helper and the milking employees are all working 50 hour weeks, which seems much more reasonable than what you are doing.  I wouldn't expect them to do more.

Good for you for asking for more from your boss though.  Sounds like if you bring someone else in, you and your boss should be clear with them on expectations from the start so you can be more comfortable taking time off.

Northern gal

• Bristles
  • Life at the beach shack
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2017, 12:35:50 AM »
First off, since you asked this question on a personal finance forum, I assume it is fine to talk numbers.                      

My main question is what are you trying to achieve? FIRE? How much do you need? When do you want to FIRE by?                     
Or is it some recognition or standing in the community etc?                      
What is driving you to work so hard? Stubbornness? You mention your special skill, but then say that is the last bill farmers pay. Maybe what you value isn't what they value?                      
As has been said, maybe your managerial skills are more transferable into higher pay industries?
I don't know much about salaries in your area but what you mention doesn't strike me as all that great TBH.                     

Let's see if I got that right                     

Hours pw   Gross pa   Net pa   Housing pa   overall   Savings pa   
You                               80    57,200     42,640     10,800 (free)     53,440     21,320    
Helper                       52    57,200     42,640     -                      42,640       
milking employees       50   unknown   32,240    provided free       32,240       

you say it's been 6 years on the job - so you saved $120,000?                     

you say building a house would cost $150k - if you want to build, it sounds like you are well able to do so already? Can you move out of farm housing and get the equivalent in cash to pay off your own home? It sounds to me like you should be able to just buy a house already, why fear a mortgage? And how much would that house, with land, sell for?                     

You mention partnership but times are tough - is partnership worth much? Note partners can walk away with nothing or even debt.                     
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 12:44:50 AM by Northern gal »

Bee21

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2017, 01:23:20 AM »
The story w the helper convinced me that your boss is taking advantage of you and you are selling yourself short.

A. Quit. Get a low stress job with predictable hours which pays similar. Even if the pay was less but you worked normal hours with weekends off you would be better off.
B. Stay, but demand a pay rise and a more reasonable schedule. If they refuse to pay you more or let you work less, move on. You  have some savings, so should be ok on the short term. That housing is not free at all, looks like they just use it as an excuse to pay you less.

Update your resume and see what else is available in your area. There is no harm looking. Don't let the prospect of a house tie you to this employer forever, unless of course you want to live like this forever.

Dances With Fire

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2017, 05:45:22 AM »
I grew up in an area with dairy farmers, heard many stories of these people NEVER taking a day off or taking a true vacation. 80 hours per week was "average."

As I grew older I came to realize that this not a healthy lifestyle, though others may disagree. A sure path to burnout and regrets IMHO...

As others have posted, take a careful look at all of your options. Can you work for someone else with far less hours? (Hourly wage only with paid overtime! No salary B.S. this is also a mental trap that middle manager fall into.

The land deal sounds good on the surface, however are you "trapping" yourself even further for this job. You will be WORKING and LIVING on the same property 24/7? NO thanks, you won't be able to breath let alone rest. Will you be 38 and STILL working 80+ hours a week 52 weeks a year?

There has (probably) never been a better time to look for a decent work/life balanced job than right now in this time in history. Find something that brings you at least some degree of satisfaction and balance.

Best of Luck to you, hope we have been of some help to you.

Dances With Fire

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2017, 03:18:43 PM »
I forgot to mention, that guy did leave this summer. So back to the drawing bored. We get some help in the summer from younger kids in their teens.  With them it’s hard at time, glued to cell phones and not fully understanding quality of work vs just getting a job done. I love educating and showing ways of doing things so it’s fun challenge to keep those guys motivated.

Ok, here’s a question for you: if you broke your legs tomorrow and couldn’t work for 3 months, what would happen to the farm?  How would they cope? 

Fireball

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2017, 03:42:07 PM »
Geez man. Sounds brutal. If you're not already, get in a position of strength (FU money) and then negotiate. Heck, wait until the absolute worst time for them if you were to leave. Make reasonable demands and if they don't meet them give a 2 week notice on the spot. You leaving will be a giant pain in the a$$ that I bet they will try to avoid if at all possible.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 03:44:06 PM by Fireball »

gsd802

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2017, 04:49:14 PM »
Thank you all for the comments.  What a great community here helping out total strangers! 

You all have got me thinking about my next step to take.  This career/lifestyle is all I have wanted to do since I was about 15 years old and decided to go to college for it.  The hours never used to bother me but as I get older I realize how much of a life I do not have other than work.  I think I keep pushing myself to prove to myself that I can do it.  But there is no doubt this job gives me satisfaction taking care of the animals knowing they depend on me/us for their happiness and well-being.

If I were paid hourly (with a fair rate per hour) maybe I wouldnt feel the way I do.  I definitely think they take advantage of me at times, like one of you said maybe because they just think I enjoy it that much and want to be there all the time.  The long days I would love the extra money, but days where I might work a couple hours less than normal I would be kicking myself...but it all averages out in the long run.

One last thing I wanted to mention.  That state job I was deferred one year for, they look at employment history.  I plan on reapplying but if I were to quit this current job until then I'm worried it will hurt my chances.  If they asked me why I left it wouldnt sound good if I told them it was "too much work."  Any recommendations for that? 

Thanks

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2017, 05:36:16 PM »
One last thing I wanted to mention.  That state job I was deferred one year for, they look at employment history.  I plan on reapplying but if I were to quit this current job until then I'm worried it will hurt my chances.  If they asked me why I left it wouldnt sound good if I told them it was "too much work."  Any recommendations for that? 

Just say you left because you were under compensated and didn't have sufficient support personnel to be able to complete the work required by the role. You addressed the issues with the management team and were not able to come to a satisfactory agreement.

Cali Nonya

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2017, 05:28:47 PM »
I would not say anything about compensation or too much work.  It may make you sound like you are looking for an 'easy ride' job.  Just say that you are looking for a job that provides an opportunity for advancement (stability, or whatever adjective works for you), or that you do not see a viable future in your present job and are were looking for a better opportunity to grow. 
Saying anything negative about a previous employer may run the risk of making you look like a squeaky wheel, or thin-skinned person, which would make you look like a poor candidate. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!