Author Topic: My annual review is this week!!  (Read 4976 times)

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
My annual review is this week!!
« on: December 11, 2017, 06:20:51 AM »
Thursday of this week is my requested annual review.  I'm asking for a 9.6% raise, or a 4.9% raise and full time hours.  Right now I work just under full time and receive no benefits.

I had a meeting with my boss about 6 months ago, stated four firm goals for 2017, and have exceeded all of those goals.  I am also about 100k under budget this year.  I generally bring a positive and productive energy to my team and I have revitalized my role in the company (the person who I replaced had been here for 30+ years, and although wonderful, was kind of on cruise control the last...10-12 years)
So.... NOW IT'S TIME TO ASK FOR MORE MONEY AND I AM FREEEEAAAAAKKKKIIIIINGG OUT!

I've done all of the work, investigated where my salary falls in the norm, I know that based on the original ad for my position that I'm not at the top of the pay scale yet (I've been here for a year), I have all of the proof, and I've set up the meeting, but now I have to actually SAY THE WORDS and I feel like I'm about to vomit.  I'm in cold sweats, I feel dizzy, and it's still three days away.

Mostly just venting here, but any words of encouragement welcome! :) :)

FireEngineer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: My annual review is this week!!
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 06:23:53 AM »
You have this.

The numbers will do most of the talking. You are just trying to put them on stage.

Best of luck!

MsSindy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 07:41:04 AM »
Practice the conversation out loud.  Actually say the exact words that you will say.  Doing this will help you highlight any annoying things that you're prone to do, like ramble or go off topic, or become defensive.  Your message should be to the point.  Also, don't talk about 'how you deserve it', but rather position it as the value you have brought and will continue to bring to the company.

And, then be prepared if he/she declines or tries to push the raise out another 6 months (stall tactic).  This will show you what sort of person they truly are.  Be prepared to walk away, or at least to indicate that that decision is not acceptable.... and then begin looking elsewhere.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 07:48:03 AM »
My S.O. felt the same way a couple years back, and despite my cajoling, she maintained her reluctance to ask for more money.  When she was finally ready, she told her boss they needed to have a meeting to discuss things, and he said okay, but kept putting the meeting off. For like two months.  When they finally met, and she made the pitch, his response was, "Oh, is that all you want, more money?  I thought you were going to tell me you were leaving the company, that's why I kept putting this meeting off."  She got the raise she wanted, retroactive back to the first of the year, and he made her eligible for certain bonuses she wasn't considered for previously.  Now she's getting ready to have that conversation again, because she's working her ass off and believe she's worth more now.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Get over that reluctance and lay your cards on the table (and be ready to bolt if they don't meet your demands).

Livingthedream55

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 07:58:32 AM »
Consider asking for double what you want (in terms of percentages so that - after negotiation - you get at least the numbers you want (if not more) after the negotiation

Practice, practice, practice

Remember this is a negotiation - don't accept the first thing offerred

Expect that the first response in the conversation will be to say no, or give significantly less than you want.

If/when that happens - stay silent for a few minutes - do not say anything - look very thoughtful, then look disappointed (practice making this face in the mirror) - it's okay even to look a bit angry - women are socialized to smile so this may be uncomfortable for you.

Say "I'm dissapointed" - pause - "I think my request is more than fair and justified by the metrics I've just presented"

If there are any further delaying tactics "not now, we can look at it in six months" - make sure you are very clear that you'd want anything you get in six months to be retroactive

You got this!!!

HawkeyeNFO

• Bristles
  • Retired at 44.....back to work at 45
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 08:07:29 AM »
Your boss needs to believe you are ready to leave if you don't get what you want.

Do you have interviews lined up elsewhere?  Do the boss's competitors know who you are?  Is your industry healthy and hiring?  With unemployment at 4%, it's a great time to be a job seeker or to ask for a raise.

trollwithamustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 08:22:42 AM »
1. Like others have said, practice.

2.) Silence can be your friend. You are asking for a lot.  From your reasons above, it sounds totally reasonable and you should ask for it. But its still a lot, so if they need time to think and process, that's OK, you don't necessarily have to fill the void of silence.

3.) Figure out your mental trick to boost your confidence in the silence. If there isn't silence or squirming because they agree right away, you can know you didn't ask for enough!

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 08:58:00 AM »
You're freaking out b/c you're making a possible 'no' mean something about yourself.  All you're doing is showing them the math.  that's it.  You're going to talk about math.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 09:28:43 AM »
In your industry, is that an appropriate conversation? In many industries, all of that has been determined by the time of the meeting. The time for negotiations is a month or two before the review, or at another time of year, or when you have another job offer. I do think it appropriate to ask to go full time.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 11:54:05 AM »
After you lay out your points, look your boss in the eye and Stop Talking! If it kills you, let your boss take the next turn to speak.

If you don't get what you want, or even all of what you want, ask for a 60- or 90-day review. Do not wait six months.

Final thought - can you dig up any info on how your compensation compares to your peers?

I'll be over here, cheering you on.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 03:56:15 PM »
If your going to state facts there is nothing wrong with having a facts sheet in front of you as well as a notepad to make it look like your going to take notes. On there you can use a full page of large writings with a guideline of things you want to make sure you say or get you back in order if he /she tries to rattle you. Just stick to point. Practice/Review and you will be fine.

Ladychips

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2017, 07:07:33 PM »
I dont have any advice but think you've heard some here.  I'm posting to say I'm so impressed with you.  Can't wait to hear how it turns out!  You go!!!

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2018, 11:55:56 AM »
:::::UPDATE:::::
I received a letter today noting that I've received a 7.1% pay increase effective Jan. 1!!! 
During the meeting I had settled on requesting a 7% increase.  They filled in the 0.1 to get me to an even hourly rate.

I DID IT!

I feel a bit childish being excited about a raise, but this isn't something I would have pursued a year or two ago, and I'm proud of myself.  They also included a really nice letter expressing their appreciation for my work over the last year.

Onward and upward!  Thanks for all of the encouragement here!

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2018, 12:06:41 PM »
BADASS

Congratulations!

Ladychips

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2018, 02:00:35 PM »
Whoohoo!!  And thanks for sharing the good news!

andreamac

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2018, 12:34:02 PM »
Congrats that's awesome! Glad to hear they appreciate you.

bluebelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2018, 12:58:06 PM »
congrats....did you get full time and benefits as well?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2018, 08:48:27 PM »
HoorayHoorayHooray!

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2018, 08:52:59 PM »
Well done and well deserved.

SharkStomper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2018, 12:01:48 AM »

I DID IT!

Gratz!  I wish my annual review had went as well as yours.  Now work on another 7% next year.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2018, 04:24:33 AM »
Congrats. Good work!

I have been receiving the standard increase of 2% for the last 2 years. This year I am going to ask for more. I have managed my goals on time and well and I have gotten a lot of praise from an important project I worked on. I think this should pay off in cash this year.

CupcakeGuru

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2018, 04:31:19 AM »
Congrats. You never get what you don't ask for!