Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5093531 times)

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #9500 on: November 28, 2022, 06:48:38 AM »
I went to my friends' house for Thanksgiving this year.  They didn't want the dark meat nor the bones!  I got to take the best parts of the bird.  I made 6 quarts of stock and got 4 meals out of the meat.
White turkey meat tastes like dry cardboard. Give me the juicy deep flavor of the dark meat any day.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9501 on: November 28, 2022, 07:44:29 AM »
I went to my friends' house for Thanksgiving this year.  They didn't want the dark meat nor the bones!  I got to take the best parts of the bird.  I made 6 quarts of stock and got 4 meals out of the meat.
White turkey meat tastes like dry cardboard. Give me the juicy deep flavor of the dark meat any day.

This is true if the turkey is overcooked.  Properly made however, white turkey meat tastes great and is juicy.

Still not a writeoff even if that happens though . . . the white meat goes great in stews and casseroles that add back in some of the moisture lost due to overcooking.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #9502 on: November 28, 2022, 07:54:10 AM »

I am so sorry you have never been offered a properly cooked turkey!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9503 on: November 28, 2022, 08:11:40 AM »

This is true if the turkey is overcooked.  Properly made however, white turkey meat tastes great and is juicy.

Still not a writeoff even if that happens though . . . the white meat goes great in stews and casseroles that add back in some of the moisture lost due to overcooking.

You know all the stories of people who thought they hated <insert food> growing up, and it turned out that their parent was just a bad cook? Yeah. If your turkey is dry and tasteless, then you cooked it badly. I don't do anything with basting, marinating, etc and my turkey is always juicy - because I don't overcook it.

My 17lb turkey cooked in 3.25 hours at 325F on Thursday. Clean it, put in the roasting pan, cook. Check it periodically. When its browned, put foil on it so it doesn't overbrown the skin. Look up the temp and time online, Butterball's is decent and easy. Go with the lower end of the time range, set your timer. If your turkey weight is the lower end of the range, then reduce the time by 30 minutes. That's when you stick the thermometer in to check it. In the breast should be 160F. If it's not 160, then put it back in. When the breast hits 160, pull it out and let it sit, covered, for 30 minutes before you start carving. But wait you say, the turkey needs to be 170 in the breast. Yes it does. That why its sitting for 30 minutes after you pull it out of the over, it will finish cooking then. Easy, no fuss, and comes out juicy. Then you can use it for leftovers in casseroles or whatever without weird flavor combos because of whatever spices you used.

Never put stuffing in the turkey - its a recipe for food poisoning and it screws up your cooking time. Plus, you can't save the leftovers because its more likely to food poison you. Just make the stuffing separately.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9504 on: November 28, 2022, 08:31:46 AM »
I usually brine my turkey and then wrap it in bacon while it roasts.  I'm not sure which one has the greater effect, but it usually turns out pretty juicy. 

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9505 on: November 28, 2022, 09:10:38 AM »
I usually brine my turkey and then wrap it in bacon while it roasts.  I'm not sure which one has the greater effect, but it usually turns out pretty juicy.

We roast ours breast-down until the last 20 minutes or so, which also helps keep the white meat juicy. I also start checking after 2 hours -- no matter how big my turkey is, it cooks in 2-3 hours. WTF, turkey?

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9506 on: November 28, 2022, 09:24:05 AM »

I agree properly cooked > overcooked, but I base my preference on a lifetime of turkey eating. Even when people are raving about how well the turkey is cooked, I still go for the dark side.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9507 on: November 28, 2022, 12:11:58 PM »
We came home with lots of leftovers, and I wish we'd thought to bring our own containers!  Would have made the post-meal divisions much easer.  However, we also did Thanksgiving potluck style, and MIL lives alone and clearly didn't want to keep all the leftovers.  She would have been eating the same food for a week straight, at least, plus she's vegetarian and GF and couldn't eat everything we brought.  Better if everyone gets a day or two of leftovers.  We arrived with the bird* and dessert, and left with the carcass and a bit of everything else.

I can't imagine someone who arrived with empty hands demanding leftovers, much less someone who didn't arrive at all!  How incredibly selfish and entitled.

*The breast meat came out a bit dry, thanks to having to travel and reheat, but in our family the leftover white meat traditionally goes in the soup made from the carcass, so it'll be rehydrated in its final form.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9508 on: November 28, 2022, 12:53:03 PM »

We've been brining our turkeys for a while now, I find that it really makes a difference for the better.  bacon wrapping sounds interesting too . . . but how much bacon do you need?  And does the skin of the turkey still come out crispy and yummy?

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9509 on: November 28, 2022, 03:36:40 PM »
We've been brining our turkeys for a while now, I find that it really makes a difference for the better.  bacon wrapping sounds interesting too . . . but how much bacon do you need?  And does the skin of the turkey still come out crispy and yummy?

A related tip I've heard (but haven't tried) is food processor-ing some "bacon butter" (just puree some bacon and butter together) and coat/baste the turkey with that like you might do with an herb butter.

My MPP: it's that time of year again. My family wants me to send them holiday gift ideas. I don't really want much that you could practically buy as a gift, and it's both a lot of work to come up with ideas that are semi-workable and it makes me feel guilty about actively trying to be more consumery just so someone can buy me something that they feel is acceptably gifty. Argh. What I really want is a gift card to the grocery store, but that's not "festive".

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9510 on: November 28, 2022, 06:52:28 PM »
Could you ask for something consumer-ish from the same store, and return it for store credit after Christmas? :D

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9511 on: November 28, 2022, 06:53:48 PM »
Restaurant gift card? My mom loves them. It allows her to splurge, or treat a friend once in awhile.

Movie GCs?

Home Depot GC?

Plants? A nursery GC?

A BBQ/smoker? We love ours.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9512 on: November 28, 2022, 07:49:19 PM »
Home Depot GC?

Plants? A nursery GC?

You may have missed the memo on me living in a tiny Manhattan apartment :-)  That's part of it, I really don't want another thing in here with me. My mom just has this weird thing where she really wants to wrap real objects in wrapping paper, preferably something fun or luxurious, or it doesn't feel like the holiday has been done properly. I found out the hard way that if I don't give my family ideas along those lines, they will buy a bunch of pointless things that I secretly hate.

I try to come up with things that I will wear out eventually (slippers, pajamas, etc.) or a luxury consumable/food kind of thing that will not live in my apartment eternally. And anything non-essential that I think about buying myself after September, I think about maybe waiting and putting it on my holiday list instead.

My parents ALSO give me money and they're very generous people, so I feel like an ass complaining about it, honestly. Total first world problem. "My family gives me too many gifts, wahh!"

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9513 on: November 28, 2022, 09:26:40 PM »
Home Depot GC?

Plants? A nursery GC?

You may have missed the memo on me living in a tiny Manhattan apartment :-)  That's part of it, I really don't want another thing in here with me. My mom just has this weird thing where she really wants to wrap real objects in wrapping paper, preferably something fun or luxurious, or it doesn't feel like the holiday has been done properly. I found out the hard way that if I don't give my family ideas along those lines, they will buy a bunch of pointless things that I secretly hate.

I try to come up with things that I will wear out eventually (slippers, pajamas, etc.) or a luxury consumable/food kind of thing that will not live in my apartment eternally. And anything non-essential that I think about buying myself after September, I think about maybe waiting and putting it on my holiday list instead.

My parents ALSO give me money and they're very generous people, so I feel like an ass complaining about it, honestly. Total first world problem. "My family gives me too many gifts, wahh!"

Ah, yes. I had missed the Manhattan apartment. ;)

My mom feels the same as your family; she calls it a "personal" gift. As far as I can tell, it means something that touches my skin. ;)

So I come up with things for her to gift - cologne, or a new robe, or a winter weighted blanket, or a new coat, or a fancy scarf. She's southern, so I just try to go with the flow.

Siebrie

• Stubble
« Reply #9514 on: November 29, 2022, 03:11:56 AM »
I like to ask for consumables I wouldn't buy for myself, and for 'tickets to ...' or 'a workshop for ...'. Even more fun if they come along!

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9515 on: November 29, 2022, 05:19:42 AM »
Some fancy soap or the like? (I know some people consider this a silent hint for body hygiene, but in case you don't belong to them.) Like in a glass bottle that can be wrapped in paper.

Do you cook at all? An expensive knife. (But make sure it's quality, there are some blatent frauds.) It takes a decade to get a full set and they will serve you a life. The first time I used my (presented) 90€ santoku I nearly cut myself because it went through so easy, even though I only used half the strength as before with my cheap shop veggie knife.

Josiecat22222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9516 on: November 29, 2022, 05:40:35 AM »
@Dollar Slice - what about a day at a dayspa, preferably with your mom? THis may not be your thing at all, but a massage and some pampering is a gift that doesn't accumulate in your home.   
We had a big discussion with our family a few years ago and told them we want to share experiences, not accumulate things.  So instead of gifts, we schedule a family vacation every couple of years.  It worked pretty well until COVID.....  we now need to reopen that dialogue!

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9517 on: November 29, 2022, 05:46:27 AM »
Easy answer in my family --booze!

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9518 on: November 29, 2022, 11:50:24 AM »
@Dollar Slice - do you have a digital instant read meat thermometer?   I just got one for our DIL, and they are surprisingly pricey if you get a good one. (says the woman still using her 15 year old $5 non-digital one).    The good thing about those is that they really are useful, small, and slide into a drawer easily, but could also convince your Mom that she is gifting you something of quality?

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #9519 on: November 29, 2022, 02:12:49 PM »
My MPP is sort of the opposite of Goldielocks'. We have a Friendsgiving potluck we've done for a number of years and DH and I are well-trained to bring our own tupperware to take part in the leftover bounty.  Everyone brings so much of their 1-2 dishes that they are begging everyone else to take as much as they want.  Unfortunately, as I was taking our leftover portions, the person that had made a dish neither of us really enjoyed was standing there and encouraging me to take as much as I could and watching me dish things up!  I was a victim of my own mustachianism in bringing plenty of my own tupperware, because it was obvious I still had a couple empty ones available and no excuse not to take some of her creation.  She's an extremely nice person and I appreciate the joy everyone gets from sharing around, but I definitely had to force down her leftovers over the weekend (I still ate it of course!).

force majeure

• Stubble
« Reply #9520 on: November 30, 2022, 03:26:52 AM »
Fellow Mustachian guy I know, is a bit of a digital nomad.
Anyway, he was trying to open a bank account, he overheard a manager saying about him to a bank teller...
"Do we really want a new client who has no utility bills, and a burner mobile phone?"
He has 7 figures in another bank account.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9521 on: November 30, 2022, 04:11:47 AM »
Anyway, he was trying to open a bank account, he overheard a manager saying about him to a bank teller...
"Do we really want a new client who has no utility bills, and a burner mobile phone?"
A bank does not make profit from your account (even though that is what everyone still tells you). They make money by selling you other things, like insurances or cards or investment opportunities. And fees if you are in the red.

So someone who has no utility, how much use do you think he has for e.g. home insurance?

But I think the question was more likely "He is ready to run at every second and we have no way to track him, do we want him owing us money?"

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9522 on: November 30, 2022, 04:39:49 AM »
TBF, the utility bill question might be related to proof of residence. From there, the "burner" phone might further stoke speculation/imagination that friend might be trying to open an account under a false identity? EDIT: or, what @LennStar said

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9523 on: November 30, 2022, 08:30:09 AM »
A bank does not make profit from your account (even though that is what everyone still tells you). They make money by selling you other things, like insurances or cards or investment opportunities. And fees if you are in the red.

So someone who has no utility, how much use do you think he has for e.g. home insurance?

But I think the question was more likely "He is ready to run at every second and we have no way to track him, do we want him owing us money?"

When I worked in a related industry a decade ago, a checking account created about $600 in expenses for the bank in a year.  I didn’t get a good handle on the revenue case though.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #9524 on: November 30, 2022, 08:36:34 AM »

He has over a million dollars in a bank account?  Does he not know it is only insured up to $250k pp??  Sounds more like a money launderer than a legitimate saver, and certainly not Mustachian to leave that much money lazing about earning nominal, if any, interest.

Is your friend SBF by any chance?

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #9525 on: November 30, 2022, 08:12:02 PM »

He has over a million dollars in a bank account?  Does he not know it is only insured up to $250k pp??  Sounds more like a money launderer than a legitimate saver, and certainly not Mustachian to leave that much money lazing about earning nominal, if any, interest.

Is your friend SBF by any chance?

lol

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9526 on: November 30, 2022, 10:36:01 PM »

PSST -- if you buy cheap utility grade turkeys (you know, the ones that used to be 99c/lb? and are missing a wing?), they come pre-brined.

Why?  So they don't freezer burn and they charge a bit more for the water weight.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9527 on: December 01, 2022, 05:32:37 AM »

It's easier when you flip the bird to breast-side-down for most of the roasting - I do it after after some initial browning at high temperature. No, you don't get the pretty "idealized picture" of a turkey - but screw that. I want it cooked well.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 05:36:31 AM by TomTX »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9528 on: December 01, 2022, 10:06:35 AM »

PSST -- if you buy cheap utility grade turkeys (you know, the ones that used to be 99c/lb? and are missing a wing?), they come pre-brined.

Why?  So they don't freezer burn and they charge a bit more for the water weight.

We used to get utility turkeys all the time, but in the last while I almost never see them at our grocery store.  I'll have to remember to check if they're pre-brined though, that would be a great time saver.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9529 on: December 01, 2022, 10:47:44 AM »
We used to get utility turkeys all the time, but in the last while I almost never see them at our grocery store.  I'll have to remember to check if they're pre-brined though, that would be a great time saver.
The Riverside brand at HEB is pre-brined.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9530 on: December 01, 2022, 03:02:11 PM »
New thing learned today: Utility turkeys.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9531 on: December 02, 2022, 09:40:31 AM »
My MPP is sort of the opposite of Goldielocks'. We have a Friendsgiving potluck we've done for a number of years and DH and I are well-trained to bring our own tupperware to take part in the leftover bounty.  Everyone brings so much of their 1-2 dishes that they are begging everyone else to take as much as they want.  Unfortunately, as I was taking our leftover portions, the person that had made a dish neither of us really enjoyed was standing there and encouraging me to take as much as I could and watching me dish things up!  I was a victim of my own mustachianism in bringing plenty of my own tupperware, because it was obvious I still had a couple empty ones available and no excuse not to take some of her creation.  She's an extremely nice person and I appreciate the joy everyone gets from sharing around, but I definitely had to force down her leftovers over the weekend (I still ate it of course!).

This made me giggle!

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9532 on: December 03, 2022, 12:11:02 AM »

If they don't use a lot of salt or other additives, frozen turkeys are "wet processed", some are injected with seasoned water (like hams).This may or may not be on the label.  Think of it as opposite the heavily marketed "air chilled" label on chicken you buy at the grocery. 

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #9533 on: December 04, 2022, 04:33:07 PM »
We do our portfolio snapshot the first weekend of December. Treasury Direct was down, so I had to make an educated guess about how much interest is accrued. A transfer was showing as complete in the receiving account, but not out of the outgoing account, luckily I caught that. These could have all added up to like a 0.1% error in our allocation!

I have never cooked a whole turkey myself.

highplainsdrifter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9534 on: December 04, 2022, 05:10:23 PM »

A bank makes money primarily from loans, where do they get money to loan out? They loan the money that is held in people's accounts. So I argue that yes, banks make money from your accounts, by lending out your money. Yay for fractional reserve banking systems. It does cost banks money to maintain accounts, but they make more money lending out customers money otherwise they'd be out of business.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9535 on: December 04, 2022, 05:35:16 PM »

A bank makes money primarily from loans, where do they get money to loan out? They loan the money that is held in people's accounts. So I argue that yes, banks make money from your accounts, by lending out your money. Yay for fractional reserve banking systems. It does cost banks money to maintain accounts, but they make more money lending out customers money otherwise they'd be out of business.
The good thing is you are both right. Banks have two main sources of income
- Net interest income - generated from the difference between the interest rate paid to savers and charged to borrowers
- Non interest income - interchange fees, bank fees, insurance products etc

My MPP is my brain holds on to nonsense like this and forgets more important things like what day of the week it is. I'm hoping another 6 months of not-working in fintech will eventually overwrite this.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9536 on: December 04, 2022, 05:55:14 PM »
....snip....

My MPP is my brain holds on to nonsense like this and forgets more important things like what day of the week it is. I'm hoping another 6 months of not-working in fintech will eventually overwrite this.
After not-working for 6 months your brain will rewrite the fact that neither bank profits nor day of the week is important.

What IS important is left as an exercise for the reader.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9537 on: December 04, 2022, 06:11:28 PM »
....snip....

After not-working for 6 months your brain will rewrite the fact that neither bank profits nor day of the week is important.

... days of the week are a little important when it comes to medicating one's dog MWF...

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9538 on: December 04, 2022, 11:49:48 PM »

That's a part of the truth, but really just the smaller one.
Banks are lending each other money. And they can use that money to create more. To, for example, lend it to another bank.

That's the hilarious part of all those people crying about the state "printing" money. That little bit the state prints does not really make a difference. Not to mention that afaik no state prints money but a private bank  on order of the state, if at all. Most EU banks, especially the EU bank itself, are (nominally) not beholden to any state.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9539 on: December 05, 2022, 11:50:28 AM »

That's not strictly true...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Money_creation

flow321

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9540 on: December 05, 2022, 01:41:45 PM »
My friends are convinced that my recent switch to biking wherever I can is due to a D.U.I.  :-)

Lol yeah people think I'm crazy for biking to work in freezing weather, but also biking everywhere else. It's crazy how people would rather drive and sit in traffic than bike and also burn calories.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9541 on: December 05, 2022, 01:55:30 PM »
My friends are convinced that my recent switch to biking wherever I can is due to a D.U.I.  :-)

Lol yeah people think I'm crazy for biking to work in freezing weather, but also biking everywhere else. It's crazy how people would rather drive and sit in traffic than bike and also burn calories.

You're dressed wrong.

Before wearing spandex while cycling I would get regular questions and comments about a DUI.  With spandex and a road bike, I only get occasional questions about triathlons.  :P

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9542 on: December 06, 2022, 07:21:08 AM »
My kid has a small UTMA.  This account is basically for him to learn about investing and he's pretty excited about owning a tiny little piece of companies that he knows.  We've talked about both individual stocks and mutual funds.  I generally let him pick a few individual stocks and put the rest into SWTSX.  He's usually pretty good at picking out companies that he thinks will make a lot of money (his first two choices were MCD and WMT...of course in March of 2020 everything was on sale).  However, now he wants to buy GME.  I asked a few questions, and surprisingly it has nothing to do with the whole over-shorted fiasco.  He is obsessed with the PS5 and knows that Gamestop is the place that keeps advertising the digital version at <$400 (he is starting to realize that they are never in stock at that price though).  We talked a little about GME and shorting and meme stocks.  I explained that I didn't think it was a good buy,  but he's insistent.  So, as much as it pains me, I think I'm going to get a share for him.  It's like $25 and will be a good lesson for him.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9543 on: December 06, 2022, 08:14:40 AM »
My kid has a small UTMA.  This account is basically for him to learn about investing and he's pretty excited about owning a tiny little piece of companies that he knows.  We've talked about both individual stocks and mutual funds.  I generally let him pick a few individual stocks and put the rest into SWTSX.  He's usually pretty good at picking out companies that he thinks will make a lot of money (his first two choices were MCD and WMT...of course in March of 2020 everything was on sale).  However, now he wants to buy GME.  I asked a few questions, and surprisingly it has nothing to do with the whole over-shorted fiasco.  He is obsessed with the PS5 and knows that Gamestop is the place that keeps advertising the digital version at <$400 (he is starting to realize that they are never in stock at that price though).  We talked a little about GME and shorting and meme stocks.  I explained that I didn't think it was a good buy,  but he's insistent.  So, as much as it pains me, I think I'm going to get a share for him.  It's like $25 and will be a good lesson for him.

Maybe frame GME against other kid-interesting stocks like HAS, NTDOY, RBLX, ATVI, TTWO, EA, or BBW. This would be a good opportunity to introduce the concept of earnings rather than superficial product appeal. "Do you want to buy a company that earns money or loses money?"

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9544 on: December 06, 2022, 08:31:12 AM »

Maybe frame GME against other kid-interesting stocks like HAS, NTDOY, RBLX, ATVI, TTWO, EA, or BBW. This would be a good opportunity to introduce the concept of earnings rather than superficial product appeal. "Do you want to buy a company that earns money or loses money?"

Ooh....I like it. 

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9545 on: December 06, 2022, 08:50:34 AM »
....snip....

... days of the week are a little important when it comes to medicating one's dog MWF...

Automatic reminders. Because I may not know the day, but the computer does.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9546 on: December 06, 2022, 06:45:36 PM »

You're dressed wrong.

Before wearing spandex while cycling I would get regular questions and comments about a DUI.  With spandex and a road bike, I only get occasional questions about triathlons.  :P

Giggle snort.    ;-)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #9547 on: December 10, 2022, 02:26:13 AM »

That's just an approximation for those who don't want to give their dog medication every 56 hours.  You can do it without getting a case of the muuundays

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9548 on: December 12, 2022, 05:59:25 PM »
My Dec paycheck was processed early before I expected it. In order to keep from losing any company match (by avoiding overcontributing in Nov), I had needed to go back for the month of Dec and adjust my retirement contribution up a couple percentage points. Since I didn't do it in time, I'm missing out on $194 of tax advantaged account space. UGH!!!

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9549 on: December 12, 2022, 07:17:18 PM »
My Dec paycheck was processed early before I expected it. In order to keep from losing any company match (by avoiding overcontributing in Nov), I had needed to go back for the month of Dec and adjust my retirement contribution up a couple percentage points. Since I didn't do it in time, I'm missing out on $194 of tax advantaged account space. UGH!!!
In 10 years time, that $194 would be worth $381.63*! A fortune in lentils, thrown away.

*assuming 7% p.a. returns