Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 5086781 times)

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #7500 on: May 29, 2020, 09:11:17 AM »
These Macs are so old, that Google Chrome/Safari/Firefox no long support them. I know what I'm doing, I'm an IT professional. :D Next stop could be installing Linux, but it would be a hassle as kids want to keep their game licenses, etc.

As an IT professional, do you really want software without updated security patches connected to the Intertubes?  ;)

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7501 on: May 29, 2020, 12:20:17 PM »
I'm still employed, but I'm not saving much (more) money as a result of social distancing. I didn't eat out at restaurants much before the pandemic and I walked or biked almost everywhere. I've saved the small amounts I would have spent on the occasional bus ride, but my electricity bill has gone up slightly and I'm doing laundry more often.

Meanwhile, my spendy colleagues are surprised by how much money they have left over in their accounts now. They've become involuntarily frugal.
I actually pay more now. Electricity, heating (luckily not much now) and even food (because the company heavily subsized the warm meal)

I have increased my use of electricity by 20 kWh per month but because the electricity has gotten cheaper I actually got paid to use the electricity. The only thing left on my bill was the fee for the environmental certificate and the tax. All adding up to a 1 USD. I have a separate fee for the grid, about 14 USD. I actually felt sorry for the electricity company because it cost them probably more to bill me for those 90 kWh then I paid them.

Reynold

• Bristles
« Reply #7502 on: May 29, 2020, 02:13:58 PM »

Because I'm not shopping sales our groceries have gone up over 50%!  I can't keep up with that.
[/quote]

DW has the same problem, she routinely apologizes when she comes home with food because it wasn't all bought at the sale prices she usually gets due to a combination of (1) the grocery stores are running fewer sales, and (2) things may not be there on her next trip, so she gets them when they are there.  I roll my eyes as I point out that this entire epidemic is clearly her fault, sigh. . . :) 

Same issue as AnnaGrowsAMustache, overcharged one time by over a dollar (she cross checks all her receipts) and wondering if it was worth going back.  I advised against. 

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7503 on: May 29, 2020, 03:13:47 PM »
These Macs are so old, that Google Chrome/Safari/Firefox no long support them. I know what I'm doing, I'm an IT professional. :D Next stop could be installing Linux, but it would be a hassle as kids want to keep their game licenses, etc.

As an IT professional, do you really want software without updated security patches connected to the Intertubes?  ;)

No, which is why this is a MPP!  Too cheap to buy new laptops... too cheap to buy new software... I'm stuck! :)

While MOST websites work, as you say, it's not safe. Plus some of the websites that the kids are supposed to use for their schoolwork no longer support the old browser versions, and come out funny looking.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7504 on: May 29, 2020, 03:35:53 PM »

No, which is why this is a MPP!  Too cheap to buy new laptops... too cheap to buy new software... I'm stuck! :)

While MOST websites work, as you say, it's not safe. Plus some of the websites that the kids are supposed to use for their schoolwork no longer support the old browser versions, and come out funny looking.

User name doesn’t check out

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7505 on: May 29, 2020, 06:06:49 PM »

Sorry, I don't understand your comment?

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #7506 on: May 29, 2020, 07:33:58 PM »

LOL

All in good fun, @Poundwise!

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7507 on: May 29, 2020, 09:36:44 PM »

LOL

All in good fun, @Poundwise!

Ohhhhh!! I get it!! 😆
Slow on the uptake today.  I should try to live up to my name!

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #7508 on: June 03, 2020, 09:00:03 AM »
On Facebook and bogleheads, everyone is talking about how much money they are saving with the shutdown.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #7509 on: June 03, 2020, 11:44:11 AM »
I bought an extra 50 lb bag of flour for a friend who didn't end up needing it, so then I had to wait until I finished up my own 50 lb bag before I could reclaim the closet space taken up by the other bag...

I have to choke back comments like "so what? I've been doing that for years!" when people start gushing to me about how they are growing scallion ends or making their own chicken broth or whatever...

We needed an extra laptop so all our kids could do class Zooms at the same time, so I assembled one good one out of two old broken Macbooks... but the resulting laptop is still so old that many websites don't support the browsers...

Throw Linux on it. There are really bare bones versions that will have modern browsers but a small OS hardware requirement. You can also skin them to look like OSX.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #7510 on: June 03, 2020, 11:46:29 AM »
Just saw that you know about things like Linux... ;)

Good luck with the project!

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7511 on: June 03, 2020, 12:08:57 PM »
I can’t decide if I want to leave my job and boss or wait another year when I have even more money socked away and a better picture were this coronathing is heading. As long as I can work from home it is pretty ok. I have a pretty secure job in a city that is now in a downturn due to a crappy virus.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #7512 on: June 05, 2020, 01:48:24 PM »
Mint sent me this email advising I could save money but I can't understand it...

You can save $630 in just 3 months. What are you saving for?   

Are you finally ready to get a place of your own? Or are you hoping for the wedding of your dreams without going into debt?

Whatever it is you’re saving for, it’s right within your reach. We know because we’ve already done the math for you, and you have an average of $700 left over each month.

The numbers are made up but the ratios are the same...

I think they are trying to tell me that with their help I can save less in three months than is currently left over every month? The only explanation I can come up with is that buying VTI isn't "saving".

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7513 on: June 05, 2020, 07:04:57 PM »
I bought an extra 50 lb bag of flour for a friend who didn't end up needing it, so then I had to wait until I finished up my own 50 lb bag before I could reclaim the closet space taken up by the other bag...

I have to choke back comments like "so what? I've been doing that for years!" when people start gushing to me about how they are growing scallion ends or making their own chicken broth or whatever...

We needed an extra laptop so all our kids could do class Zooms at the same time, so I assembled one good one out of two old broken Macbooks... but the resulting laptop is still so old that many websites don't support the browsers...

+1. Installed Lubuntu on an old 3 GB RAM Intel Core 2 Deo box. Fast enough for my 2nd grader. Now to plug in a USB Wifi and it's all good.

Throw Linux on it. There are really bare bones versions that will have modern browsers but a small OS hardware requirement. You can also skin them to look like OSX.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #7514 on: June 06, 2020, 08:15:25 PM »
I was looking through pre-retirement checklists this afternoon. I keep thinking there must be something more to be ready, besides spend money on the boat. The checklists ended up providing more amusement than edification.

One said that I have to commit to saving more each month. Don't think about what you could spend the money on, just commit to save more every month from now on. I shared that one with DH so that we could have a good laugh.

Meanwhile, I can't figure out how to participate in the July 7th spending blackout, because most days are no spend days.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7515 on: June 08, 2020, 05:29:16 PM »
Just saw that you know about things like Linux... ;)

Good luck with the project!
Thanks! 

In the end I managed to get the thing to work by upgrading stepwise all the way from Snow Leopard to El Capitan... it was very painful.

I'll probably put Linux on the cannibalized Macbook eventually, once we pick up some new parts for it. 

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7516 on: June 09, 2020, 10:07:39 AM »
Freaking hell.

At a hotel now and being the person that I am, I chose to take the stairs instead of the elevator. Except the stairs down exiting to the street trigger an alarm when the final door is opened. Okay, so I go up one floor to exit through the hotel but the damn door back inside is locked from the outside, so I’m stuck. Stupid Americans can’t fathom in designing buildings that people might want to us their legs to walk.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7517 on: June 09, 2020, 10:10:10 AM »
Other MPP I encountered the other day:

I was setting up utilities at our new place we are moving to and called to have the power transféréd over to my name. They couldn’t figure out how to navigate the concept of me not working, not collecting pension or SS, and living off my assets. So I had to pay a deposit to get the lights turned on because they had no option to let me show I had X assets in a bank account. Hah

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7518 on: June 09, 2020, 10:31:39 AM »

I was setting up utilities at our new place we are moving to and called to have the power transféréd over to my name. They couldn’t figure out how to navigate the concept of me not working, not collecting pension or SS, and living off my assets. So I had to pay a deposit to get the lights turned on because they had no option to let me show I had X assets in a bank account. Hah

Strange. What do all the thousands of (multi)millionaires do? Buy a power plant?? Not to mention artists etc. who have no regular income.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #7519 on: June 09, 2020, 10:34:00 AM »
Freaking hell.

At a hotel now and being the person that I am, I chose to take the stairs instead of the elevator. Except the stairs down exiting to the street trigger an alarm when the final door is opened. Okay, so I go up one floor to exit through the hotel but the damn door back inside is locked from the outside, so I’m stuck. Stupid Americans can’t fathom in designing buildings that people might want to us their legs to walk.

I've had that happen to me before.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7520 on: June 09, 2020, 10:48:32 AM »

Strange. What do all the thousands of (multi)millionaires do? Buy a power plant?? Not to mention artists etc. who have no regular income.
I know, right? I guess they all pay a $100 deposit. I didn’t care because we are trying to hit a spending minimum for credit card points, but otherwise it would be irritating.

The other utility I called ran a credit check and then was happy to give me service with no $ exchanged.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7521 on: June 09, 2020, 11:00:57 AM »
Okay, this is probably the dumbest cheapism ever but here I go!

Bought a new slow cooker back in January. About March I had used it a few times and it was not cooking hot enough on high. I have used them for years so I know what to expect from low heat and high heat. Took the temperature too and it was low. Anyway, I would have taken back to Walmart but with the virus I was under the impression they were not taking returns. So, I called the 800 number in the book that came with the cooker. The person said they were all working from home so it would take time to resolve the issue. Whether to send me a new cooker or refund me $59.96. Well, months later (today) I got a check in the mail to cover the cost of the cooker. However, they of course couldn't refund me the sales tax since I bought it from Walmart.

The tax is only $3.81 but it irritates me that the state got my money for nothing! I am sure it would take too much work to recover the money and I should just let it go! But GRRRRRR, that makes me mad!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7522 on: June 09, 2020, 12:35:07 PM »
Freaking hell.

that sucks. 

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #7523 on: June 09, 2020, 12:54:55 PM »
Freaking hell.

This has happened to me many times, and as an American I hate it.  I don't like elevators and much prefer the stairs.  Waiting for an elevator bothers me so much and I am fast on the stairs.  I have been stuck in some really stupid places.  Parking garages are some of the scariest.  I've also gotten routed through some employee sections of hotels to avoid alarms.  Oops, found the laundry.  :).

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7524 on: June 09, 2020, 01:11:11 PM »
I know that feel

Used to live on second floor of a high rise.  Had to take the elevator one stop every time because ground stairwell was a fire exit to the street. 

Made sense because it wouldn’t be secure to leave open but I guess they could keycard it or architect could have had a lobby connection

On the plus side I didn’t need a stair master and could just take the stairs all the way to the roof
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 01:13:14 PM by dragoncar »

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7525 on: June 09, 2020, 01:39:21 PM »
I’m a stairs-taker too :). This is mostly encouraged at my work but some areas have locked access so then you have to go down a floor and over to the next building then back up. I have also gotten locked outside in winter with no coat several times.

I got stuck in the lobby of the psychiatric unit once. I had gone with security to transport a patient there which involved a convoluted and unpleasant route through a tunnel under the street. Thought I could just take the stairs down and walk back across the street to my building. Instead the stairs came down to a lobby and my badge did not work to get outside or the rest of the way into the building. Security had to physically come look at my badge before they would let me out.

My slow cooker runs too hot, even on the low setting. I have to go unplug it and plug it back in multiple times during the day or it burns things.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7526 on: June 09, 2020, 01:49:32 PM »
Ugh, the stairs in my office are the same. Pre-covid, I bike to work as much as possible during the summer, and my office has nice bike parking in the garage below the building, with a great shower and locker room on the Lower Level (one floor above the parking garage) of the building. What's super frustrating is that there are NO STAIRS from the garage to the Lower Level- I have to wait for the elevator with all the other folks going up to the various other 10 floors in the building, instead of just a quick hop up a few stairs to the LL. Once on the LL there's a stairwell all the way up to my office but it's just silly that they didn't extend it one level deeper!

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7527 on: June 09, 2020, 02:00:33 PM »
My last job had the same issue with stair exits--you could (and many of us did) take the stairs down, and exit into the lobby, but IIRC, you couldn't get back into the stairwell from the lobby.  And taking the elevator to the 2nd floor just so you could hop out, badge through the door, and go over to the stairwell to walk up the next two floors was impractical.

At my job now, I'm on the 2nd floor, and there is no elevator :)

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7528 on: June 09, 2020, 11:27:34 PM »
Ugh, the stairs in my office are the same. Pre-covid, I bike to work as much as possible during the summer, and my office has nice bike parking in the garage below the building, with a great shower and locker room on the Lower Level (one floor above the parking garage) of the building. What's super frustrating is that there are NO STAIRS from the garage to the Lower Level- I have to wait for the elevator with all the other folks going up to the various other 10 floors in the building, instead of just a quick hop up a few stairs to the LL. Once on the LL there's a stairwell all the way up to my office but it's just silly that they didn't extend it one level deeper!
Here in socialist Germany ;) that would be illegal because of fire. You know, where everyone tells you to not use the elevator?

I am surprised you dont have regulations like "there have to be at least two ways of exits".

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7529 on: June 10, 2020, 12:12:12 AM »
That was my first reaction but then I realized there is probably an external fire exit to the street from LL and like my situation it’s locked to the outside and will alarm if you leave

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7530 on: June 10, 2020, 06:28:30 AM »
Here in socialist Germany ;) that would be illegal because of fire. You know, where everyone tells you to not use the elevator?

I am surprised you dont have regulations like "there have to be at least two ways of exits".
There are stairs for fire exits, but they don’t have to be pretty or convenient or open for regular use..... sigh

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7531 on: June 10, 2020, 06:42:44 AM »
There are stairs for fire exits, but they don’t have to be pretty or convenient or open for regular use..... sigh

Yep there are other stairs/exits from the building to the street and from the parking garage to the street, the elevator is the only thing connecting the garage to the building.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7532 on: June 10, 2020, 08:57:38 AM »
I’m a stairs-taker too :). This is mostly encouraged at my work but some areas have locked access so then you have to go down a floor and over to the next building then back up. I have also gotten locked outside in winter with no coat several times.

I got stuck in the lobby of the psychiatric unit once. I had gone with security to transport a patient there which involved a convoluted and unpleasant route through a tunnel under the street. Thought I could just take the stairs down and walk back across the street to my building. Instead the stairs came down to a lobby and my badge did not work to get outside or the rest of the way into the building. Security had to physically come look at my badge before they would let me out.

My slow cooker runs too hot, even on the low setting. I have to go unplug it and plug it back in multiple times during the day or it burns things.
Plugin mechanical outlet timers with 2 "on" and 2 "off" pegs are $5-$10.

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7533 on: June 10, 2020, 09:35:00 AM »

Plugin mechanical outlet timers with 2 "on" and 2 "off" pegs are $5-$10.

If you like doing DYI electronics you could create your own Slow Cooker Temperature Control using a dimmer switch.

https://vaporbaker.blogspot.com/2010/07/how-to-make-and-use-slow-cooker.html

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7534 on: June 10, 2020, 01:21:29 PM »
I budget to the penny - not because I need a budget to keep my spending in line but because I like perfect records. It helps with tax planning, keeping track of my savings rate, trend analysis, and more.

I've received a few referral bonuses from credit cards, some from referring my wife and some from referral posts here and elsewhere on the internet. Those bonuses are going to be taxable, so I have to include them in income on my spreadsheet, but then I don't know where to put them in expenses. My spreadsheet defaults to put any money not assigned to any expenses to go into misc savings. However, there is no money unless I cash out the points. I've thought about putting that money in under the vacation line item, as that's where it'll eventually be used. However, I haven't previously recorded signup bonuses in the budget. If I'm going to record these taxable points as vacation funds, then I should record my other points as nontaxable income and vacation expense as well. Doing so will also bring my savings rate down a couple percentage points.

Basically, life is chaos, and putting everything in neat little boxes is not as simple as I'd prefer.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #7535 on: June 10, 2020, 01:25:38 PM »
@DadJokes , this is why I determined that budgeting is not good for my mental health. Embrace the chaos.

never give up

• Walrus Stache
  • Kindness is free to give and priceless to receive
« Reply #7536 on: June 11, 2020, 02:48:02 AM »
I have a Mustachian People Problem caused by my car insurance of all things. The problem is the emotional rollercoaster it has produced leaving me simultaneously feeling overjoyed, guilty and bewildered. It’s all too much, I need a lie down. Who would have thought that boring car insurance could be so dramatic!

I received a letter from my car insurance company telling me they were going to refund £25 of my annual bill because of the lockdown and reduced car usage as a result. Well woohoo! That’s an unexpected bonus to the monthly savings. That was the overjoyed bit.

My mind quickly turned to the fact that I actually hadn’t reduced my car mileage during the lockdown. My overjoyed feeling rapidly turned to guilt. I wasn’t breaking lockdown rules it’s just that being in super Mustachian mode I’ve reduced my car mileage over the last year or so to only using it once a week for an essential trip. However should I have tried to reduce this further to once a fortnight or something? Oo er. I don’t know. Even though this would only have really been symbolic, at least I could have honestly claimed I made the effort to reduce my mileage. But dress it up all I like I can not say I made any attempt to reduce my mileage during lockdown even though I was fully complying with the rules. So I’m being paid £25 for having made no effort whatsoever.

The bewildered part comes from analysing my other actions over the last three months and realising my super Mustachian mode I’ve been in for a couple of years is pretty much the same thing as full lockdown. Crumbs, what a funny thing! I haven’t felt at all deprived but now I’m starting to think I’m a bit weird (or even more weird than I originally thought I was).

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7537 on: June 11, 2020, 03:20:50 AM »
I have a Mustachian People Problem caused by my car insurance of all things. The problem is the emotional rollercoaster it has produced leaving me simultaneously feeling overjoyed, guilty and bewildered. It’s all too much, I need a lie down. Who would have thought that boring car insurance could be so dramatic!

I received a letter from my car insurance company telling me they were going to refund £25 of my annual bill because of the lockdown and reduced car usage as a result. Well woohoo! That’s an unexpected bonus to the monthly savings. That was the overjoyed bit.

My mind quickly turned to the fact that I actually hadn’t reduced my car mileage during the lockdown. My overjoyed feeling rapidly turned to guilt. I wasn’t breaking lockdown rules it’s just that being in super Mustachian mode I’ve reduced my car mileage over the last year or so to only using it once a week for an essential trip. However should I have tried to reduce this further to once a fortnight or something? Oo er. I don’t know. Even though this would only have really been symbolic, at least I could have honestly claimed I made the effort to reduce my mileage. But dress it up all I like I can not say I made any attempt to reduce my mileage during lockdown even though I was fully complying with the rules. So I’m being paid £25 for having made no effort whatsoever.

The bewildered part comes from analysing my other actions over the last three months and realising my super Mustachian mode I’ve been in for a couple of years is pretty much the same thing as full lockdown. Crumbs, what a funny thing! I haven’t felt at all deprived but now I’m starting to think I’m a bit weird (or even more weird than I originally thought I was).

Don't feel guilty.  The risk pool is down overall.  Even if you personally didn't drive less, your risk is lower because other people are driving less so fewer other people to collide with.  So the insurance companies are sitting on extra cash because they didn't have to pay out as many claims.  Which is why they are returning premiums to you (and in many cases ordered to do so by oversight bodies).  The premiums returned to you will be less than that returned to other drivers who drive a lot more than you.

never give up

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7538 on: June 11, 2020, 03:25:05 AM »
Phew thanks dragoncar. That helps with the guilt. I’ll just remain in a state of bewilderment instead :-)

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7539 on: June 11, 2020, 08:16:49 AM »

We haven’t had full lockdown but social distancing. I haven’t actually changed my behaviour that much more than that there has been a nice stop in work related social stuff. Now I can blame it on social distancing. I actually feel a bit deprived due to lack of personal travel but that is the only thing.

never give up

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7540 on: June 11, 2020, 09:15:50 AM »
Yes the work related social stuff not occurring has certainly been a plus. That one is a Mustachian People Benefit.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7541 on: June 11, 2020, 09:25:27 AM »

Don't feel guilty.  The risk pool is down overall.  Even if you personally didn't drive less, your risk is lower because other people are driving less so fewer other people to collide with.  So the insurance companies are sitting on extra cash because they didn't have to pay out as many claims.  Which is why they are returning premiums to you (and in many cases ordered to do so by oversight bodies).  The premiums returned to you will be less than that returned to other drivers who drive a lot more than you.

^This.

Michigan and California I believe have ordered refunds. That's just off the top of my head. And yes, even amongst the population that is more typically "essential workers", driving is down. At my company, claims are down about 40% overall.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7542 on: June 11, 2020, 11:36:33 AM »
Sibley, you're in P&C too??? At least for my insurance company, I believe we applied a flat refund to everyone just because it was a lot easier to implement quickly than trying to figure out who was actually driving less.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7543 on: June 11, 2020, 11:59:12 AM »
Sibley, you're in P&C too??? At least for my insurance company, I believe we applied a flat refund to everyone just because it was a lot easier to implement quickly than trying to figure out who was actually driving less.

Yep. *waves from P&C world*

I think we did a flat refund, but wasn't involved so don't know the details. And I don't think we'd have the detail anyway.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7544 on: June 11, 2020, 12:33:37 PM »

I think we did a flat refund, but wasn't involved so don't know the details. And I don't think we'd have the detail anyway.

Flat meaning not based on driving or flat meaning the same dollar amount per customer?  If the latter that seems like it would piss off your best customers.  Geico just refunded like 15% of policy

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7545 on: June 11, 2020, 02:36:06 PM »
Flat as in a flat percentage. A trucking account that's actually driving more with COVID gets 15% off, as does the pharmaceutical sales fleet that is completely 100% shut down because they're not allowed to visit hospitals at all.

I got an email from my personal agent showing the following refunds of April and May premium by carrier: Auto Owners 15%, Chubb 35%, Cincinnati 15%, MetLife 15%, Progressive 20%, PURE 15%*, Secura 15%, Travelers 15%, West Bend Mutual $50 payment, Western National 15%.

*PURE credit applies from the time stay-at-home orders were introduced until they're lifted.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7546 on: June 11, 2020, 02:49:00 PM »
My auto insurance is so damn low the 15% premium refund barely registers. Roughly equivalent to a free burrito with extra guac.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7547 on: June 11, 2020, 03:48:17 PM »
Flat as in a flat percentage. A trucking account that's actually driving more with COVID gets 15% off, as does the pharmaceutical sales fleet that is completely 100% shut down because they're not allowed to visit hospitals at all.

I got an email from my personal agent showing the following refunds of April and May premium by carrier: Auto Owners 15%, Chubb 35%, Cincinnati 15%, MetLife 15%, Progressive 20%, PURE 15%*, Secura 15%, Travelers 15%, West Bend Mutual $50 payment, Western National 15%.

*PURE credit applies from the time stay-at-home orders were introduced until they're lifted.

Ok thanks.  But claim risk can still be down if mileage is up right?  Based on fewer other assholes on the road
(Of course my personal experience during lockdown was that good drivers stayed home and what was left on the road was roughly divided between people driving 2x the speed limit and people driving 1/2 the speed limit)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7548 on: June 11, 2020, 03:48:52 PM »
My auto insurance is so damn low the 15% premium refund barely registers. Roughly equivalent to a free burrito with extra guac.

Hey guac is good.  If someone offers me free guac I’m not gonna complain

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7549 on: June 12, 2020, 06:54:01 AM »

Flat meaning not based on driving or flat meaning the same dollar amount per customer?  If the latter that seems like it would piss off your best customers.  Geico just refunded like 15% of policy

% of premium, I assume for specific months.