Author Topic: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)  (Read 3213417 times)

ixtap

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Mustachian People Problems (just for fun)
« Reply #7050 on: December 11, 2019, 04:57:10 PM »
All of these tax articles remind me that in a few months I have to remember how to do the mental gymnastics for ESPP, RSUs and HSA (because CA taxes the gains).

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7051 on: December 12, 2019, 12:34:36 PM »
I'm going to have to pay capital gains on my dividends for the first time in 4 years for 2020 because I'll be out of the 0% bracket.  :(

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7052 on: December 12, 2019, 12:37:31 PM »
I'm going to have to pay capital gains on my dividends for the first time in 4 years for 2020 because I'll be out of the 0% bracket.  :(

Woe and dismay!   You make sooooo much money not working for it that you've got to pay taxes on it!    Such a tough life! 

(Keep up the good work! :) )

bonesmtb2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7053 on: December 12, 2019, 12:45:06 PM »
I take dates out in a 23 year old truck with 508,000 miles on it

508k miles!  That is fantastic.  What kind of truck?

That post is from five years ago and surfhb has deleted their account so unfortunately we may never know.

I did some forum searching just for you. It was a 1993 Toyota Pickup:
My 93 Toyota Pick Up could have been retired many times but I decided to fix the issue instead.....512,000 miles and still going.

Awesome, thanks!  I figured it was a Toyota!

ixtap

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7054 on: December 13, 2019, 02:04:54 PM »
Our roommate has given one month's notice. Fine, we wrote the lease for an easy out, rather than making anyone miserable.

The problem is, our lease is up at the end of June and we don't know how early is appropriate to discuss signing another lease. That is, if we found a roommate today, we could only promise them six months of stability, which I assume will affect the price we can get.

I mean, it isn't like we have to have a roommate, but it also isn't like we have any use for the extra space, so we might as well.

jps

• Stubble
« Reply #7055 on: December 13, 2019, 04:37:34 PM »
Our roommate has given one month's notice. Fine, we wrote the lease for an easy out, rather than making anyone miserable.

The problem is, our lease is up at the end of June and we don't know how early is appropriate to discuss signing another lease. That is, if we found a roommate today, we could only promise them six months of stability, which I assume will affect the price we can get.

I mean, it isn't like we have to have a roommate, but it also isn't like we have any use for the extra space, so we might as well.

I feel like just anecdotally, I have heard of several people who have looked for a 6-month lease but haven't been able to find one. I always assumed they would command a premium, like month-to-month.

never give up

• Magnum Stache
  • Kindness is free to give and priceless to receive
« Reply #7056 on: December 14, 2019, 01:09:40 AM »
My loyalty discount from my biking website of choice has now been downgraded as I haven't spent enough in 2019. Yeah sorry, since finding MMM I no longer need to keep buying clothes, gadgets or worry about upgrading stuff.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7057 on: December 15, 2019, 12:28:56 AM »
My loyalty discount from my biking website of choice has now been downgraded as I haven't spent enough in 2019. Yeah sorry, since finding MMM I no longer need to keep buying clothes, gadgets or worry about upgrading stuff.

Sounds extremely disloyal

LennStar

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7058 on: December 15, 2019, 01:25:43 PM »

Sounds extremely disloyal

Leftist anti-capitalistic extrememist!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7059 on: December 18, 2019, 09:35:47 AM »
We (DH and I) are now FIREd and therefore we don't have a need to get out of bed at 6 or 6:30 am like we used to. But our bedroom is quite close to the street. This morning I woke up from the neighbor's tennants skraping the ice of their cars. And another neighbor letting his car run at the porch (dog fence) that he needs to open and close manually. Then it sounded like someone knocked on the front door. I didn't understand why, as we have a door bell, but I went to have a look never mind, in case there was a fire. There was no one at the door. The sounds came from outside. Probably a machine, picking into rock to break the rocks. In a pattern that sounds like knocking on a door.

Sibley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7060 on: December 18, 2019, 09:45:13 AM »
We (DH and I) are now FIREd and therefore we don't have a need to get out of bed at 6 or 6:30 am like we used to. But our bedroom is quite close to the street. This morning I woke up from the neighbor's tennants skraping the ice of their cars. And another neighbor letting his car run at the porch (dog fence) that he needs to open and close manually. Then it sounded like someone knocked on the front door. I didn't understand why, as we have a door bell, but I went to have a look never mind, in case there was a fire. There was no one at the door. The sounds came from outside. Probably a machine, picking into rock to break the rocks. In a pattern that sounds like knocking on a door.

It's amazing what you can learn to sleep through.

SquashingDebt

• Bristles
« Reply #7061 on: December 19, 2019, 05:16:34 AM »
We can only change our % contribution to our 401k quarterly.  I ended up getting a $1k bonus this last quarter that threw my calculations off and so I missed out on $13 of company match money this last paycheck of the year.  (They don't true up.)

rantk81

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7062 on: December 19, 2019, 05:56:07 AM »
We can only change our % contribution to our 401k quarterly.  I ended up getting a $1k bonus this last quarter that threw my calculations off and so I missed out on $13 of company match money this last paycheck of the year.  (They don't true up.)

Wow, that's a brutally awful combination of restrictions... Only can change it once per qtr, and no true up!  I'd be on the phone with HR about it, pushing for them to fix it!

LennStar

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7063 on: December 19, 2019, 10:33:05 AM »

Unfortunately you can't learn to sleep well under noise, even if it may appear so to you. That is one reason why poor people's children (who can only afford to live on the noisy roads in towns) are worse learners etc.

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7064 on: December 19, 2019, 10:55:57 AM »
I got so much nearly free food today that we almost won't be able to finish it. Will freeze what's left over.

BicycleB

• Handlebar Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #7065 on: December 19, 2019, 12:32:03 PM »

Unfortunately you can't learn to sleep well under noise, even if it may appear so to you. That is one reason why poor people's children (who can only afford to live on the noisy roads in towns) are worse learners etc.

Personal opinion here:
1) Some people can't learn to sleep under noise
2) Some people can learn to sleep under select routine noises very well
3) If you're part of group 2, it helps to know that it's possible

PS. Noise related MPP 1 - since I am home during most of my FIREd day, I hear lots of construction noises now because so many houses on my block are being rebuilt.

MPP 2 - so many houses on my block are being rebuilt, it's hard to find a neighbor to chat with about all the construction!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 12:38:42 PM by BicycleB »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7066 on: December 19, 2019, 01:51:01 PM »

Personal opinion here:

PS. Noise related MPP 1 - since I am home during most of my FIREd day, I hear lots of construction noises now because so many houses on my block are being rebuilt.

MPP 2 - so many houses on my block are being rebuilt, it's hard to find a neighbor to chat with about all the construction!

I don’t know if 2 is possible but I think by “well” we mean here without negative consequence.  There are studies that show even if you don’t wake up from noise, it causes physical stress like heart rate increase which is expected to be bad for you long term even if you slept through it (cortisol release, etc.)  it’s the irregular noise that’s the worst in this regard

sui generis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7067 on: December 19, 2019, 03:30:12 PM »
I joined Amazon prime for a week because the $2 trial membership they offered is way cheaper than the shipping would have been on the funny socks I ordered for all my nieces and nephews. Now's my chance to catch up on all the TV shows and stuff everyone's always taking about! Unfortunately, I also have no time this week to watch because it is the holidays. Guess I'll continue missing out on tons of culturally relevant material.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
    • The Best Is Yet To Come
« Reply #7068 on: December 20, 2019, 02:09:27 AM »
That is a lot of noise you are hearing. Is your house properly insulated? Do you need a better front door?

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7069 on: December 20, 2019, 03:55:52 AM »
That is a lot of noise you are hearing. Is your house properly insulated? Do you need a better front door?

Yes, the house is modern. The front door is not locked properly, but that it far from my bedroom. What I hear is a car motor and car doors being smashed closed. We have normal 3 layer windows. The house is not badly sound insulated, but from the bedroom window, it is not many meters to these cars.
The rock picking is on the other side of the narrow valley and it sounds muffled, not very loud. But that just makes a lot of sounds and it is not weird that we here it.
DH knows all about sound insulation amd he hasn't complained about how the house is insulated.

dcheesi

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7070 on: December 20, 2019, 06:18:13 AM »
Yes, the house is modern. The front door is not locked properly, but that it far from my bedroom. What I hear is a car motor and car doors being smashed closed. We have normal 3 layer windows. The house is not badly sound insulated, but from the bedroom window, it is not many meters to these cars.
The rock picking is on the other side of the narrow valley and it sounds muffled, not very loud. But that just makes a lot of sounds and it is not weird that we here it.
DH knows all about sound insulation amd he hasn't complained about how the house is insulated.
Yeah, outdoor sounds from close neighbors can be hard to fully filter out. My previous house was very close to my neighbors; I couldn't hear a thing from them when they were indoors, and from my testing I couldn't hear my stereo outdoors, yet every car door and discussion from their driveway came through as if they were standing right on my doorstep.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 06:20:08 AM by dcheesi »

2sk22

• Bristles
« Reply #7071 on: December 20, 2019, 06:54:45 AM »
I just found that need to order a new set of checkbooks because I am running out of deposit slips :-)

jinga nation

• Handlebar Stache
  • Left, Right, Peddlin' Shite
« Reply #7072 on: December 20, 2019, 07:07:16 AM »
I just found that need to order a new set of checkbooks because I am running out of deposit slips :-)
Can't you order deposit slips only? I know my too-big-to-fail bank allows this.
Or if they have a location, go in and pick up a stack of slips?

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7073 on: December 20, 2019, 07:51:25 AM »

If you're depositing checks, you should be able to use your bank's phone app. I haven't deposited anything at the bank or ATM in years.

2sk22

• Bristles
« Reply #7074 on: December 20, 2019, 07:53:47 AM »

If you're depositing checks, you should be able to use your bank's phone app. I haven't deposited anything at the bank or ATM in years.

For smaller checks I always use the app, but this one is sufficiently large that I somehow prefer to hand it to a human teller. I know... :-)

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7075 on: December 20, 2019, 09:48:09 AM »
I used to have a $10k limit only depositing checks with my app so a couple of times I had to go to a physical location to deposit a check. Thankfully that nonsense is gone (and I don’t receive dead tree checks anymore). Online banking or bust!

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7076 on: December 20, 2019, 12:12:26 PM »
Okay... being mustachian I have managed to wrangle a year in which I am neither giving or receiving wrapped-up-stuff-type presents for Xmas. There's literally nothing under my tree. The problem? Um..... there's no pressies under my tree [sad face]

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7077 on: December 20, 2019, 01:14:01 PM »

For smaller checks I always use the app, but this one is sufficiently large that I somehow prefer to hand it to a human teller. I know... :-)

I prefer to have my large checks deposited electronically so I still have the original in case there's a problem.

Sibley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7078 on: December 20, 2019, 01:29:11 PM »

Personal opinion here:

I don’t know if 2 is possible but I think by “well” we mean here without negative consequence.  There are studies that show even if you don’t wake up from noise, it causes physical stress like heart rate increase which is expected to be bad for you long term even if you slept through it (cortisol release, etc.)  it’s the irregular noise that’s the worst in this regard

White noise is still noise. And no, you won't learn to sleep through everything. My neighbor running yard equipment at 7am wakes me up, even though she does it a lot. But I don't even register the freight trains anymore.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7079 on: December 20, 2019, 06:24:06 PM »
As of last night, we had a net worth of circa $2,730,000.

Mortgage balance of ~$145,000.
HELOC balance circa ~15,000.
No other debt.

Equity in current house ~100,000 to $150,000
7 other houses owned free and clear, 5 of which are providing income.  Total worth about $1,000,000.
~1,600,000 in stocks, bonds, and cash.

We just found our dream house.   Signed a contract on it.  Since rates are low it makes sense to get a mortgage.

At this point I'm not convinced I'm going to be able to get one.

I suspect they don't think I have enough income. 

This despite the fact that we're paying our bills now, we're almost 2 payments ahead on our mortgage, we bought four houses in the last 2 years (for cash!) and with me going on social security in January, we're getting a $24,000 raise.   A $340,000 30 year fixed rate mortgage on this house, including taxes and insurance, will run $24,500 a year.    How could anyone not figure out this was a damn good risk!!??

Of course I don't have income!    Wealthy people have assets that provide more wealth.   The last thing you want is income, they tax that sort of thing!

I had excess cash reserves to spend last year.  The last thing I would want is income!  I wanted proceeds that are expensed resulting in no income and more assets that produce more wealth.

I should know by Monday.   If the lender we're talking to balks as I suspect they will, I'll check with a local bank on Tuesday.  (I'm travelling until Monday evening.)   Maybe they can just make a common sense loan that they will service themselves instead of sticking to the collateralizable mortgage obligation rules.

So we may end up buying our new home for cash.   Our $340,000 new home -- in cash -- that they don't think we make enough to pay a mortgage for.

We'll be putting our old home on the market by mid-March, possibly earlier.  It should sell in 6-12 months depending on how aggressive with pricing we are.   That should bring in $100,000 to $150,000 from equity.   We'll be selling one house to our daughter's adoptive grandmother which will bring in over $60,000.  We'll put that money back into the stash.

Plus, of course, we'll have the mortgage expense from our current home off our back, which frees up $22,500.  So, sometime in    the next year we'll actually get to see that Social Security raise show up for consumption spending (or paying down the mortgage faster).

« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 09:04:15 PM by SwordGuy »

fredbear

• Stubble
« Reply #7080 on: December 20, 2019, 06:53:42 PM »

This despite the fact that we're paying our bills now, we're almost 2 payments ahead on our mortgage, we bought four houses in the last 2 years (for cash!) and with me going on social security in January, we're getting a $24,000 raise.   A $340,000 30 year fixed rate mortgage on this house, including taxes and insurance, will run $24,500 a year.    How could anyone not figure out this was a damn good risk!!?? ...

Any unblindered lender will know you are golden, but most of them are constrained by "policies."  I found occasional lenders who would take 3/4 of rental income as "real" income.  To persuade them I had to have the usual sheaf of tax forms/* and signed 1-year leases.  In one case my good friend signed a lease that I showed to the bank, and had a change of heart as soon as the loan was granted; he backed out and left the place for my real tenants.

___
/* This still makes me snort, as the average loan officer reminds me of Ben Rhodes's remark that they were able to hoodwink the press about the Iran deal because the average reporter was 27 years old, had no experience except hanging around a political campaign, and "literally knew nothing."  For the average loan officer, any tax form beyond the w-2 is a head scratcher, and things like K-1s could as well have been written in Sanskrit.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7081 on: December 20, 2019, 08:06:52 PM »
@fredbear ,  I'll have to admit that the loan officer I'm talking to is very sharp and understands things very well.   But she is not the underwriter -- and that's the problem.   It's those policies you were mentioning that will probably get in the way.

Alternatepriorities

• Pencil Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #7082 on: December 20, 2019, 11:00:16 PM »
@fredbear ,  I'll have to admit that the loan officer I'm talking to is very sharp and understands things very well.   But she is not the underwriter -- and that's the problem.   It's those policies you were mentioning that will probably get in the way.

I asked a loan officer once why they couldn’t count existing assets like cash and stocks in calculating my ability to repay a mortgage. He told me the underwriters we’re concerned I might go to Vegas and lose it all the next month... I didn’t point out that I might also quit my job the next month.

LennStar

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7083 on: December 21, 2019, 01:07:17 AM »
So we may end up buying our new home for cash.   Our $340,000 new home -- in cash -- that they don't think we make enough to pay a mortgage for.

Can you get a mortgage on one (or more) of your other houses and pay that off?
As often as I read here about people taking out a bigger mortgage on their house as they already have to make a holiday flight, that sounds like it would be possible.

If it is for only 50% of the worth, it should be a no brainer for every bank, since they cannot lose.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7084 on: December 21, 2019, 06:32:42 AM »

As often as I read here about people taking out a bigger mortgage on their house as they already have to make a holiday flight, that sounds like it would be possible.

If it is for only 50% of the worth, it should be a no brainer for every bank, since they cannot lose.

Who knows.   They have all kinds of crazy rules.

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7085 on: December 21, 2019, 12:54:57 PM »

Who knows.   They have all kinds of crazy rules.

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7086 on: December 21, 2019, 01:46:00 PM »
Today's MPP: we appear to have missed the "race from $100k to $250k" thread due to not paying attention. I thought we were close, but we're actually at 282k in cash and investments today.

DaMa

• Bristles
« Reply #7087 on: December 21, 2019, 03:07:03 PM »
I sold my house to a family member for 65k.  I had him write one check for <=50k and the balance on a 2nd check.  My bank has a 50k limit for phone app deposits.  It worked out fine, because he wrote one check from his checking account and the other from the HELOC he took on his rental property so he could buy my place (which he plans to pay off in 16 months).

Another one...I never look at one day gains on my IRAs, but I logged into Fidelity to make an HSA contribution.  I noticed that I made over $1600 in ONE day.  Wow!  Of course I reminded myself that I'd probably be down $3000 the next.  I logged in today to schedule my Roth conversion for the year, and I was up $2600 for yesterday. 

One thought came to mind...Mel Brooks: "It's good to be the king."

Freedomin5

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7088 on: December 22, 2019, 01:19:59 AM »
5-year-old DD seems to be a budding Mustachian, and here is her most recent MPP...

DD received a Christmas gift from a family friend - an art kit with several pencil crayons, crayons, markers, glitter glue, stickers, and specialty papers. Her problem, in her words, is that “There are too many crayons!” She actually became quite upset with having 36 crayons because “I won’t be able to use them all up!”

She solved her own problem though. After I validated her concerns (“Yeah, that’s a lot of crayons, isn’t it?”), she suddenly exclaimed, “I know! I can give some to my friends!” So for the past couple days, she’s been happily coloring with only the 10 sparkle crayons and saving the rest so she can give them to her friends.

LennStar

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7089 on: December 22, 2019, 02:26:37 AM »
How cute!

My MPP is that yesterday I wanted to rebalance the amount I invest in the world regions. Specifically I wanted to up China a bit because I think it is underrepresented.
Problem: There is no ETF I can do with monthly rates at my bank that fits my criteria. So either I get one swap based instead of replicating or I have to remember buying it once or twice per year manually.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7090 on: December 22, 2019, 07:32:29 AM »
I forgot to put my bike away and it is raining outside. It is going to be wet when I go to ride it to yoga in a couple of hours

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7091 on: December 23, 2019, 09:36:21 AM »
I replaced my car a couple of months ago for one that doesn't suck.  Yesterday I was doing my year end financials and NW calculations.  My NW grew almost six digits, which would be an awesome milestone.  However, I missed it by pretty much the exact amount that I paid for the car. 

sui generis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7092 on: December 23, 2019, 02:51:51 PM »
Mostly gotten away from gift giving over the holidays, but DH and I still like to exchange something small.  I bought him sweaters since our cat ate most of his other ones.  Kohl's was offering 35% off to open a Kohl's credit card, and because I never shop and don't spend much in general, I forgot that I put a credit freeze on a while ago.  So I couldn't open a Kohl's credit card.

Luckily, they are nice and still gave me the discount and I just used my regular old card.  So my MPP actually turned into a win for me.  I saved more money (on top of the already-sale price!) and didn't even have to open another credit card!

ixtap

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7093 on: December 23, 2019, 04:03:14 PM »
We took advantage of a Merrill/ BoA offer to get cash back and Preferred Rewards level a couple of months ago. Every time I log in, there seems to be more cash sitting there. OK, I see that this one is the cash back reward and invest it. Log in a few days later and there is even more cash sitting around. Uh, yeah, that purchase went through, so where did this cash... Oh. How did I miss that their default is to cash out dividends and capital gains?! Probably because you can't make an election until after you have purchased the funds and I just logged in long enough to confirm the purchase had gone through. Well, we missed out on two days of gains, but I think I have resolved the problem now.

dollarchaser

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7094 on: December 23, 2019, 05:38:34 PM »

This despite the fact that we're paying our bills now, we're almost 2 payments ahead on our mortgage, we bought four houses in the last 2 years (for cash!) and with me going on social security in January, we're getting a $24,000 raise.   A $340,000 30 year fixed rate mortgage on this house, including taxes and insurance, will run $24,500 a year.    How could anyone not figure out this was a damn good risk!!?? ...

Any unblindered lender will know you are golden, but most of them are constrained by "policies."  I found occasional lenders who would take 3/4 of rental income as "real" income.  To persuade them I had to have the usual sheaf of tax forms/* and signed 1-year leases.  In one case my good friend signed a lease that I showed to the bank, and had a change of heart as soon as the loan was granted; he backed out and left the place for my real tenants.

___
/* This still makes me snort, as the average loan officer reminds me of Ben Rhodes's remark that they were able to hoodwink the press about the Iran deal because the average reporter was 27 years old, had no experience except hanging around a political campaign, and "literally knew nothing."  For the average loan officer, any tax form beyond the w-2 is a head scratcher, and things like K-1s could as well have been written in Sanskrit.

At one point I was chasing a home purchase that was great deal (even better when selling it 2 years later).  The bank expected a 1 year lease for the current home and we provided it. :)
The signature came from a passer by in Home Depot and the rent deposit money order was our cash. The credit union teller did not blink when I asked for someone else name in the comment line.
My home deals have mostly been unorthodox but have been a huge part of my nw and financial situation.

jinga nation

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7095 on: December 24, 2019, 06:32:12 AM »
My wife got a raise and big bonus yesterday. Her boss wanted to give her a check for the full amount, without subtracting for taxes, etc.
Our decision last year was that all bonus income was to be done the right way, not skirting the IRS.
Due to my line of work, constant background checks and financial monitoring is the norm.
If my wife didn't pay ~$2200 in taxes on the bonus, and if I got marked for a deeper financial review, it could mean fines, penalties and loss of my job, and blacklisted from working for any Fed Govt agency, maybe state and local too.
The long-term implications of a short-term greed are scary. Not worth taking the risk.

The pleasures of being thrifty. Where doing the right thing brings peace of mind.
The bonus and raise doesn't change our habits. Now have to plan how to reduce taxable income further.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7096 on: December 24, 2019, 07:53:37 AM »
My wife got a raise and big bonus yesterday. Her boss wanted to give her a check for the full amount, without subtracting for taxes, etc.
Our decision last year was that all bonus income was to be done the right way, not skirting the IRS.
Due to my line of work, constant background checks and financial monitoring is the norm.
If my wife didn't pay ~$2200 in taxes on the bonus, and if I got marked for a deeper financial review, it could mean fines, penalties and loss of my job, and blacklisted from working for any Fed Govt agency, maybe state and local too.
The long-term implications of a short-term greed are scary. Not worth taking the risk.

The pleasures of being thrifty. Where doing the right thing brings peace of mind.
The bonus and raise doesn't change our habits. Now have to plan how to reduce taxable income further.

I like my financial affairs and my bowel movements to be regular.     You've done the right thing.   Bravo.

jinga nation

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7097 on: December 24, 2019, 10:00:38 AM »

I like my financial affairs and my bowel movements to be regular.     You've done the right thing.   Bravo.

Et tu, @SwordGuy , et tu. Been reading your journal, epic find on la casa nueva. Enjoy the new adventure.

Many years ago, you posted "SwordGuy's Rules of <   >" on how to deal with management and problems. Sadly I can't find them when searching on these forums.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7098 on: December 24, 2019, 11:37:41 AM »
@jinga nation , was this what you are looking for?

Well done, I like the lessons about upskilling and hadn't thought of the falling forward idea.

Thanks!

When we were dirt poor I worked horrendous hours to claw our way out of poverty.

Once I got into a middle-class job, I didn't want to do that again!

So I made a promise to myself about my day job. 

That employee handbook was chock full of rules and conditions.  But one of them was that I worked 40 hours for pay.   After 40 hours it was my personal time, and how I spent my personal time was my choice. 

I would only work extra during my personal time if at least one of three conditions was met:

1) It was a true emergency at work.  (As opposed to a scheduled emergency due to management choices.)  It's important to be a team player.

2) I learned skills that would advance my career.

I saw no point in treading water to stay where I was, I wanted to get ahead.

3) I taught my colleagues skills that would advance their careers (and mine, because teaching is a useful skill).

I decided upon one other choice, that I would not do things the wrong way unless a manager sat there and made me do it that way.

The combination of those choices meant I spent fewer hours dealing with emergencies because I did things the right way.  (Not necessarily the perfect way, but definitely the right way.)

And I learned more new skills which let me do things the right way faster and faster.

Oh, that investment in my colleagues?   When they went to a new company, they were more likely to get promoted and be considered a star because they had learned more.   So I had people there who were more likely to be in a position to hire me or to be believed when they recommended me for hire.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7099 on: December 25, 2019, 11:21:02 AM »
I can't figure out where one of our unwanted Christmas presents came from so I can't exchange it for something we'd actually like. Oh well, that's another 50p Oxfam can make off an item that probably cost £5.